Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

On 10/14/2017 at 9:28 AM, BaseOps said:

14x06 - Come on Down to My Boat, Baby
Jackson invites the guys to relax with him on a day at sea; Arizona, April, and Maggie treat a woman who is hiding a deadly secret.

I am seriously excited that the guys are getting their own storylines again. For the last couple of years it has felt like the male characters were just props for the females and they never had anything to do outside of their relationships which really limited the writing. I hope this episode is reminiscent of the fishing trip the guys went on in season 3 with Burke and Derek. That was a great episode!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, funnygirl said:

I'd keep Koracick and trade him for three current full-time characters and Andrew's sister. 

Which three?

I would want to get rid of Amelia, Maggie and Jo but this show love them too much. 

Let make it six and get rid of Riggs, Owen and Jackson

Edited by gator12
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, gator12 said:

Which three?

I would want to get rid of Amelia, Maggie and Jo but this show love them too much. 

I'd get rid of Owen, Amelia and Webber.

I would like to see the following hook ups: Andrew and Jo,  Alex and Mer and Catherine and Koracick.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, only1shoe said:

I am seriously excited that the guys are getting their own storylines again. For the last couple of years it has felt like the male characters were just props for the females and they never had anything to do outside of their relationships which really limited the writing. I hope this episode is reminiscent of the fishing trip the guys went on in season 3 with Burke and Derek. That was a great episode!

I'm looking forward to this too.  My favorite episode of the entire run was "What is it about men" which was the only other episode (at least that I can think of--I can't remember the fishing episode, so I may have to go check that one out again) that focused on the male characters.

15 hours ago, Morksmate said:

I'm looking forward to this too.  My favorite episode of the entire run was "What is it about men" which was the only other episode (at least that I can think of--I can't remember the fishing episode, so I may have to go check that one out again) that focused on the male characters.

Oh yes I remember that episode as well, it was really good. You should totally watch/re-watch this episode. It's called "Where the boys are", S3 E7. Burke, Derek, Webber, Alex, George and Joe the bartender all go camping and it is a riot! Great episode.

• Love 3
On 10/13/2017 at 0:48 AM, Chas411 said:

Anything on Nathan Riggs on Grey’s Anatomy? — Kara

He’s surprisingly MIA for much of Thursday’s episode, but that’s because the hour really focuses on Amelia’s brain surgery. However, both characters will be involved in scenes that will 100 percent make you cry this week. Oh, and totally unrelated, but we’ll find out that Greg Germann’s Dr. Koracick is connected to someone else at Grey Sloan.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/12/spoiler-room-scandal-blindspot-supergirl/

Will Riggs remain once Megan leaves?  Are they getting back together?  Does Megan ultimately die?  I don't really understand where they are going with this...

On 10/15/2017 at 7:02 AM, jabbi said:

I didn’t know that. I do not understand Shonda and her writing style. Ben is 2 types of doctor already, why would he go to being a firefighter? The continuity makes absolutely no sense. 

Every spin off needs a star to anchor it.  He was deeply affected by the fire and probably wants to save lives that way, rather than as a doctor.  They don't need the money, Miranda is the chief.  So it makes sense to me, especially if it means he'll wear a shirt less often... ;-)  

18 hours ago, gator12 said:

Which three?

17 hours ago, Catznip said:

I'd get rid of Owen, Amelia and Webber.

I would like to see the following hook ups: Andrew and Jo,  Alex and Mer and Catherine and Koracick.

I agree with getting rid of Maggie and Jo.  The show can't get rid of Jackson - Jesse Williams is fantastic, imo.  I also agree with finally just hooking up Mer and Alex.  Enough already.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Catznip said:

Not that they've EVER shared any scenes together that I can recall, but how about Andrew and April? If we can't ever get anyone dating outside this hospital, why not try April with someone else that's not Jackson? I'd really like to see both Andrew and April move on from love interests that have played out.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, only1shoe said:

This!   x 10,000

One of my favorite episodes was when all of the guys showed up and Derek's when he was building his deck....and hammered away to rid themselves of frustrations.  Some funny stuff, and the guys' gossip is fun to see as well. The "friendship" episodes are usually done so well.

I saw a photo of this, somewhere, and I believe DeLuca was included.  Wouldn't that be great if he became part of the "in" crowd?  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

Not that they've EVER shared any scenes together that I can recall, but how about Andrew and April? If we can't ever get anyone dating outside this hospital, why not try April with someone else that's not Jackson? I'd really like to see both Andrew and April move on from love interests that have played out.

April and Andrew are my crackship, forged only from a promotional thing they did and they did photos together, lol.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I'm not sure I'd like to see an Andrew/April hook up, but I would like to see April in a relationship with someone other than Jackson.  Even if April/Jackson is endgame, I do think she needs to have the chance to realize that Jackson isn't the only man in the world (and not that I think she should sleep with someone just to sleep with someone--because that would be horribly out of character for her--but I think the fact that Jackson is the only man she's ever slept with limits her view of the universe).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Morksmate said:

I'm not sure I'd like to see an Andrew/April hook up, but I would like to see April in a relationship with someone other than Jackson.  Even if April/Jackson is endgame, I do think she needs to have the chance to realize that Jackson isn't the only man in the world (and not that I think she should sleep with someone just to sleep with someone--because that would be horribly out of character for her--but I think the fact that Jackson is the only man she's ever slept with limits her view of the universe).

She needs to be with someone not her carbon copy. I hated Matthew if only because April learned nothing from her relationship with him. Jackson actually is what widened her world view and I hope she continues to grow from it. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, moonorchid said:

April and Andrew are my crackship, forged only from a promotional thing they did and they did photos together, lol.

I could go for that. Although I’m kinda crackshipping April and Koracick at the moment. I seem to recall a BTS of Drew filming with Germann.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, flickers said:

I don't understand crackshipping. How can you want a relationship between two characters who have never conversed or even appeared onscreen together?

It’s just for fun. They look pretty together. Andrew is a nice guy and that would be nice for april. The dynamic would be new for April and get her more out of her comfort zone since she would be dating a younger man who is her subordinate. Just fun.

• Love 1

April and Andrew would be pretty, but I'd almost rather see her with Alex. He likes kids, they know each other's histories and the dialogue would never be dull with their back and forth wisecracks. I think that despite his jerkiness, he does respect April as a doctor. 

I also wouldn't mind seeing Alex with Amelia. They've had nice scenes together and I think they understand each other's demons. 

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I think that despite his jerkiness, he does respect April as a doctor. 

Well, that's great for being her colleague, but not her husband! 

He's never been as contemptuous of her as he was of George, but sometimes he's been not far from that with her.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, moonorchid said:

It’s just for fun. They look pretty together. Andrew is a nice guy and that would be nice for april. The dynamic would be new for April and get her more out of her comfort zone since she would be dating a younger man who is her subordinate. Just fun.

This is one of the reasons why I would not want to see the two of them together (that, and the fact that I'm not sure they've ever actually had a scene together).  I'm really tired of the attending dating the residents/interns.  Isn't it officially against hospital policy now (Jo and Alex having to sign whatever form a few seasons ago to say that their relationship pre-dated the new policy)?  Plus, the power dynamics of that type of relationship might be easy to take once or twice, but it has become the MO of the show and I'd rather it stopped.

Again, if they have to put Andrew with someone, I'd rather it be one of the new interns--for many reasons, including the above.

29 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

He's never been as contemptuous of her as he was of George, but sometimes he's been not far from that with her.

And he did try to force himself upon her once and Jackson (pre-Jackson/April) had to break it up. (ETA; Alex, not Andrew here...)

Edited by Morksmate
44 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

I get that now Alex is like a puppy dog and despite his a-hole tendencies in the earlier seasons he’s always had good qualities and he’s grown a lot.

But Alex’s treatment of April, while now not nearly as bad, bordered the line of harassment and bullying. Seasons 6-8, even when I wasn’t a huge April fan I was always uncomfortable watching him go off on her on things that were shallow when for the most part all she tried to do was be nice. But this show always told me that people like april are outcasts and deserved to be shat on if they are not the cool kids. 

Like I said this got better after season 8 but it doesn’t erase how weird and uncomfortable that pairing would be now.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Morksmate said:

And he did try to force himself upon her once and Jackson (pre-Jackson/April) had to break it up

I wouldn't say that Alex tried to force himself on April, or that Jackson broke it up.  April approached him, they started making out and Alex got mad when April wanted to slow down.  He was a complete dick about it, but that's a lot different than Alex forcing himself on her.  And Jackson didn't find out about it until April told him later.

Either way, I think Alex would be terrible with both April and Amelia.  April couldn't handle his asshattery or darkness and I'm not sure that Alex would want to get involved with a former addict, given everything he went through with his dad.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Morksmate said:

Again, if they have to put Andrew with someone, I'd rather it be one of the new interns--for many reasons, including the above.

Except that as a more senior resident, Andrew would still be in a supervisory capacity over interns so that wouldn’t be any more advisable. 

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Except that as a more senior resident, Andrew would still be in a supervisory capacity over interns so that wouldn’t be any more advisable. 

This is true...although I still don't know if Andrew is an intern or a resident.  In either case, he'd be somewhat more senior than any of the incoming interns.  He would not, however, be their boss.

14 minutes ago, Morksmate said:

This is true...although I still don't know if Andrew is an intern or a resident.  In either case, he'd be somewhat more senior than any of the incoming interns.  He would not, however, be their boss.

If new interns are coming in, Andrew will not be an intern anymore -- if he even still is, I'm fuzzy on the passage of time. However, the resident/intern dynamic is one that they haven't really touched on since Bailey was in charge of them all in the early seasons and it seemed like she was their boss then. Maybe not in a hire/fire capacity, but she definitely had power over them.

2 hours ago, kariyaki said:

If new interns are coming in, Andrew will not be an intern anymore -- if he even still is, I'm fuzzy on the passage of time. However, the resident/intern dynamic is one that they haven't really touched on since Bailey was in charge of them all in the early seasons and it seemed like she was their boss then. Maybe not in a hire/fire capacity, but she definitely had power over them.

Wasn't Bailey the Chief Resident when the show began?  If so, that position gave her the authority over them, but I'm not sure if residents have authority over interns in general (although clearly attendings have authority over both residents and interns). 

Also, I'm not sure that new interns would necessarily mean that Andrew is no longer an intern.  I would think that there are new interns coming in every year and, if that were the case, there would be 1st year interns, 2nd year interns, etc.  But, then again, this is Grey's and they don't necessarily operate in the same way a real hospital would.

I agree with you about the passage of time on this show.  I'd love to know if anyone actually sat down and figured out what year this show is supposed to be in at this point.  I get that shows are supposed to have a "timeless" feel, but they've referenced the year, as well as nods to cultural references, frequently in this show.  I know that the time jump when Derek died (and the subsequent nullification of it) messed things up, so I'd be interested to know exactly what the timeline is here.

And, speaking of wonky times, am I the only person who thinks that Sofia will return from NYC as a troubled teenager, even though she was like 8 when she left?

Edited by Morksmate
1 minute ago, Morksmate said:

I'm not sure that new interns would necessarily mean that Andrew is no longer an intern.  I would think that there are new interns coming in every year and, if that were the case, there would be 1st year interns, 2nd year interns, etc

Interns are only the first-years. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Morksmate said:

Ah, okay.  I thought it was a 3 year program (maybe because it was 3 years for "real time" for the original group to finish their intern year?).  Thanks for the clarification!

Yes, it took three seasons for the original crop to get out of their first year internship. It’s that fuzzy timeline thing. The surgical residency program is six years total. One year internship + five more. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Morksmate said:

Wasn't Bailey the Chief Resident when the show began?  If so, that position gave her the authority over them, but I'm not sure if residents have authority over interns in general (although clearly attendings have authority over both residents and interns). 

Bailey was not chief resident at the beginning of the show, that storyline happened in season 2 or 3. Originally Callie got it but she was so bad that Bailey ended up doing the job anyways. I believe that the original 5 (MAGIC) were just assigned to Bailey as like a mentor type thing, so she had some kind of authority over them. I think all residents have interns assigned to them whether they are chief resident or not. When the original 5 became residents in seasons 4/5 they had Lexie's class as interns. I remember because Cristina gave them numbers instead of names lol.

10 hours ago, flickers said:

I don't understand crackshipping. How can you want a relationship between two characters who have never conversed or even appeared onscreen together?

Eh, it’s just thinking two people might be good or interesting together based on their personalities. Kinda like setting up two of your friends because you think they’ll hit it off.  May work, may not work, but you want to see it play out.

• Love 1
On 10/18/2017 at 6:24 PM, Morksmate said:

Wasn't Bailey the Chief Resident when the show began? 

No, she and Callie were in the running at some point. I think Callie joined in season 2.

On 10/18/2017 at 6:50 PM, kariyaki said:

Yes, it took three seasons for the original crop to get out of their first year internship. It’s that fuzzy timeline thing. The surgical residency program is six years total. One year internship + five more. 

Then why did Richard mention "the eight years you spend here" in the first show of the series?

13 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

No, she and Callie were in the running at some point. I think Callie joined in season 2.

Then why did Richard mention "the eight years you spend here" in the first show of the series?

Callie joined in the back half of season 2. She got Chief Resident over Bailey in the season 3 finale, and then Bailey took over after she got fired from the postition in early season 4. 

Richard says "the seven years you spend here as a surgical resident". Do fellowships count as part of residency? 

I just saw the promo for next week's episode when we see all about how Megan's and Riggs' romance started.

1. Why would they do this if not that Riggs is leaving with her?

2. I cannot express how much I don't care. At all.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I just saw the promo for next week's episode when we see all about how Megan's and Riggs' romance started.

Maybe so Megan can then die at the end of the episode?  More parallels to MerDer and then either Owen finally gets his kid or we add another layer to the Mer/Riggs blended family.  It would also explain why Riggs isn't on the guys' boat trip.

I care to the extent that a Mer/Riggs romance will keep the Mer/Alex at bay, at least for a little while longer. Plus, I kind of like Riggs and with Ben leaving, they need to keep as many guys on the show as possible.

• Love 1

Riggs has grown on me as has Meredith again through their relationship especially this season. 

As much as I like the idea of Megan dying as it would end the storyline and give Owen his kid - I don't think I could trust the writers not to make it all about Owen and his man pain. 

Is Owen on the boat with the guys?

• Love 1
On 10/18/2017 at 8:23 PM, only1shoe said:

I believe that the original 5 (MAGIC)....

Wait...did I miss that in the series?  (Or maybe forgot in my old age?)  Did they ever use that acronym or is that a fan's (your?) realization?

On 10/15/2017 at 6:02 AM, jabbi said:

I didn’t know that. I do not understand Shonda and her writing style. Ben is 2 types of doctor already, why would he go to being a firefighter? The continuity makes absolutely no sense. 

Yeah, it's my understanding that anesthesiology ranks up there in regards to salaries.  Being a firefighter?  Strange move.

3 hours ago, GalvDuck said:

Wait...did I miss that in the series?  (Or maybe forgot in my old age?)  Did they ever use that acronym or is that a fan's (your?) realization?

Yeah, it's my understanding that anesthesiology ranks up there in regards to salaries.  Being a firefighter?  Strange move.

It makes sense in a Ben’s always been written as chasing the next adrenaline rush that comes his way, way.

In that case  he should follow Owen and April and head to an army field hospital.  Lots of adrenaline there.

It's a strange move not only in terms of salary but also because he's going to have to follow someone else's orders.  Ben's never been good at that.

• Love 1

WORD. Can't quite express how much I agree

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

Maybe so Megan can then die at the end of the episode?  More parallels to MerDer and then either Owen finally gets his kid or we add another layer to the Mer/Riggs blended family.  It would also explain why Riggs isn't on the guys' boat trip.

I care to the extent that a Mer/Riggs romance will keep the Mer/Alex at bay, at least for a little while longer. Plus, I kind of like Riggs and with Ben leaving, they need to keep as many guys on the show as possible.

Megan obviously has to die if Meredith and Riggs are going to be together, but any further attempt at their relationship is... not even beating a dead horse. It's beating the fossil remains of a prehistoric horse. I'm not sure I've ever seen such a spectacularly botched relationship on any TV show, TBH. On the second thought, we have Owen/Amelia on the same show at the same time, so... yeah. 

I don't mind Riggs, actually, but he was most definitely brought in as a love interest for Meredith and I'm not sure how interested they are in writing for him beyond that. And if someone is to leave, I'd much prefer it if it was Owen, because I simply don't know what else there is to write about him anymore. I thought they were setting up his exit with Teddy, but as she doesn't appear to come back again outside this upcoming flashback episode I guess it's not going to happen.

I do have a feeling they're writing Riggs out, and that coupled with the fact that Ben is leaving too is why De Luca seems to be getting a bigger role. 

Edited by Joana
  • Love 1

I actually want Riggs to leave. I've never bought him and Meredith as a couple. The most genuine moment between them was when Meredith told him about Megan being alive. The only thing they connected on was losing the love of their lives. Now they don't share that.

I also enjoy Alex constantly chiming in with his dislike of him.

I don't mind Owen leaving either. Bye Amelia and Caterina too. Germann can stay and bring in someone to replace Callie or let Jo make that her speciality. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Riggs has grown on me as has Meredith again through their relationship especially this season. 

As much as I like the idea of Megan dying as it would end the storyline and give Owen his kid - I don't think I could trust the writers not to make it all about Owen and his man pain. 

Is Owen on the boat with the guys?

Yes, Owen is on the boat with the guys and he seems pretty carefree and relaxed, so I can't imagine his sister just died. I for one am happy because Owen has been through enough crap, he doesn't need that too. I'm still leaning towards Riggs going off into the sunset (desert?) with Megan and her kid.

11 hours ago, GalvDuck said:

Haha I don't think it was ever actually said on the show, but I've seen quite a few fans refer to to the original 5 as MAGIC (Mer, Alex, George, Izzie, Cristina). Its just tedious typing out everyone's names all the time :P

2 hours ago, Joana said:

Megan obviously has to die if Meredith and Riggs are going to be together, but any further attempt at their relationship is... not even beating a dead horse. It's beating the fossil remains of a prehistoric horse. I'm not sure I've ever seen such a spectacularly botched relationship on any TV show, TBH. On the second thought, we have Owen/Amelia on the same show at the same time, so... yeah. 

I don't mind Riggs, actually, but he was most definitely brought in as a love interest for Meredith and I'm not sure how interested they are in writing for him beyond that. And if someone is to leave, I'd much prefer it if it was Owen, because I simply don't know what else there is to write about him anymore. I thought they were setting up his exit with Teddy, but as she doesn't appear to come back again outside this upcoming flashback episode I guess it's not going to happen.

I do have a feeling they're writing Riggs out, and that coupled with the fact that Ben is leaving too is why De Luca seems to be getting a bigger role. 

I'll be kinda bummed if Riggs is being written out. Not because I particularly liked him and Meredith, but I was just beginning to like his character (now that the writers have decided to give him one). It's a toss up for me with Owen because I really used to like his character, and like you said it seems like the guys are just dropping like flies on this show, but they really haven't done anything with him since Cristina left. It seems like the writers are out of ideas for him and they are just botching his character as a result. His entire storyline with Amelia has been awful and now they're kind of stuck with it unfortunately. It sucks because there was actually potential to write a single dad storyline for him if he just chose to adopt a kid by himself!

2 hours ago, BaseOps said:

'An accident at the county fair sparks memories for the doctors.'

Of better days:  

1) Table reads during earlier seasons;

2) The first time hearing Charlotte's Web, and the last time reading it.

• Love 2

Full release for the 300th episode: 

On the episode “Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story” – After a roller coaster car falls off the track at the county fair, the doctors at Grey Sloan tend to patients who spark memories about ghosts from their past, on a special 300th episode of “Grey’s Anatomy,” THURSDAY, NOV. 9 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EST). Written by Krista Vernoff and directed by Debbie Allen.

Guest starring in this episode are Debbie Allen as Catherine Avery and Stefania Spampinato as Carina DeLuca.

On 10/13/2017 at 9:38 AM, Slider said:

Actors don't get insurance coverage from their individual shows, they get it from their union - i.e. Screen Actors Guild, Actor's Equity, etc.  They have requirements that they meet within their union that says whether or not they get coverage.  Ian Ziering famously said he signed up for Sharknado because he needed to be in something to keep his medical insurance coverage.

Thank you! That's interesting. I had no idea. So basically, much like other more formal professions (nurses immediately come to mind in the part of Canada where I live) you have to work X amount to keep your membership? 

We're down to only 13 regular cast members; 12 once Ben leaves for the spin-off. I'm sure we'll have someone new by the end of the season, but I'm quite liking the trimming of the cast + the injection of some fun new blood (Carina, Dr Koracick, etc). Last year we had 15, and in S12 there was 16 regulars. Plus, the new characters - as introduced by Vernoff - tend to be more fun than full of baggage (look at Carina, Glasses, and Dr Koracick vs the last few new additions before them... Minnick, Penny, and the utterly useless reintroduction of Leah).

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 4

More new blood. From Hollywood Reporter: 

A day after series regular Martin Henderson and recurring guest star Abigail Spencer exited, the ABC Shondaland drama has enlisted One Tree Hill grad Bethany Joy Lenz. The actress will have a guest arc on the show's 14th season and play Jenny. In typical Shondaland fashion, character details are being kept under wraps. A total number of episodes is also being kept under lock and key.