Type keyword(s) to search

Sherri Shepherd: "Is the Earth flat?"

springtime
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Just curious, would you say the same thing if the roles were reversed and it was a sperm-free Sal who wanted to walk away for financial reasons?

Exactly, @TribbleTrouble . I brought that scenario up a couple of weeks ago.

Let's take Jimmy Fallon for example. He and his wife had a baby daughter just about a year ago, via surrogate:

“It wasn’t really a secret, but my wife and I had been trying for awhile to have a baby. We’ve tried a bunch of different things … anyone who’s tried, knows — it’s awful. So we had a surrogate,” the Late Night with Jimmy Fallon host says in a new interview with TODAY.

The article says Jimmy was 38 and his wife was 46, so one could assume the fertility problem was on her end, but who knows? Either way, for the sake of this argument, let's say they used her egg and donor sperm.

Imagine a scenario where they experienced marital problems while the surrogate was pregnant, and they split up and filed for divorce just two or three months before the birth. Then picture Jimmy declaring in the divorce proceeding that it wasn't his sperm, they used a sperm donor, so he wants nothing to do with this baby, either emotionally or financially. His wife is the biological mother, he has no genetic connection to the baby, and despite the fact that they together arranged this surrogacy, Jimmy wants to walk away.

Now, if that had happened last year, Jimmy would have been eviscerated in the media. And, the very Christian Sherri Shepherd, speaking "as a mom", would be leading the charge against him at the "Hot Topics" table. Based on her past statements, I am absolutely convinced that she would so, and that she would take great joy in it. I can just see and hear her ranting like crazy about the reprehensible Jimmy.

Does anyone disagree with that??

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 5

I remember in a taped interview between Sherri and Sal shown on The View before they were married when they were so anxious for a baby......well a boy baby according to Sal.

I think they tried and tried and then went to surrogacy. But many people can try later on for a baby to "make their marriage stronger" so to speak. And I think that may have happened here. But with all the contracts Sherri and Sal seem to sign between them is unseemly and could not have not caused hard feelings. Sherri did seal the deal with this surrogacy and now wants out of it.

Something really dreadful happened in March and the surrogate was probably 4 months along by then. And everything was signed, sealed and to be delivered.....and planned for before they married.

And now Sherri wants out of the deal.

• Love 1
(edited)

I can't say much about the surrogate issue. I have no idea what the legal outcome would be. I do believe however that they are both setting Jeffrey and the baby up  for some real issues. Sal is the one that let it go public about the surrogate, he's an ass. And now, who knows what Sherri actually is going to be able to do? Lovely way to have their children see them. They will know, and who knows what Jeffrey has been told at home or away?

Sherri needs to learn the definition of hypocrite before she can say if she is or is not one.

I remember in a taped interview between Sherri and Sal shown on The View before they were married when they were so anxious for a baby......well a boy baby according to Sal.

I think they tried and tried and then went to surrogacy. But many people can try later on for a baby to "make their marriage stronger" so to speak. And I think that may have happened here. But with all the contracts Sherri and Sal seem to sign between them is unseemly and could not have not caused hard feelings. Sherri did seal the deal with this surrogacy and now wants out of it.

Something really dreadful happened in March and the surrogate was probably 4 months along by then. And everything was signed, sealed and to be delivered.....and planned for before they married.

I think something happened right before or at the wedding Sherri went to in Atlanta. I am not convinced the bad guy is Sal as far as what the final straw was. I'm not saying he's not a dumb ass too, though!

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 4

I don't think Jeffrey will be affected much since the new baby is not really related to him.....not a brother. He may hear Sherri grumbling about the payout or child support. But it doesn't really affect him if Sherri is sincere about not being involved in the new baby's life.

And Jeffrey does have 1 or 2 biological siblings by his father.

• Love 3

He may hear Sherri grumbling about the payout or child support.

In my opinion if he hears any of that, it's enough for him to question many things about his own stability.

• Love 1

Depending on how each of them (Sherri & Sal) spoke to Jeffery about the baby before whatever happened in March and up until now I imagine he's probably as confused as the rest of us concerning what's going to happen with the baby.

• Love 3

I agree...Sherrie learned something in March that changed everything.

Prior to that she had talked about wanting another child. That amped up when she married Sal and he made it clear that he wanted a SON. She posted lovey dovey photos on Facebook around valentines day...although I think by that time she had a great picture of the "bed she made": Sal was. Or very employable, which I think would be OK with her IF he was contributing actively around the house and with Jeffery, trying to be wise about helping her handle finances, plan for the future, manage her career, etc. he seemed to just be a major user, an arm piece and a self- centered jerk.

If she found out he was seriously making plans to divorce once the baby was born, was diverting money from their accounts to fund his cheating lifestyle and trips to California "for business" I could see where she would feel slapped in the face and, having no biological or emotional connection to the baby which she now knows she was tricked into persuing under false pretenses would be a bit reluctant to give Sal big bucks to care for his son. What the courts see as what her legal responsibilities are in this case will be interesting.

• Love 2

I agree...Sherrie learned something in March that changed everything.

Prior to that she had talked about wanting another child. That amped up when she married Sal and he made it clear that he wanted a SON. She posted lovey dovey photos on Facebook around valentines day...although I think by that time she had a great picture of the "bed she made": Sal was. Or very employable, which I think would be OK with her IF he was contributing actively around the house and with Jeffery, trying to be wise about helping her handle finances, plan for the future, manage her career, etc. he seemed to just be a major user, an arm piece and a self- centered jerk.

If she found out he was seriously making plans to divorce once the baby was born, was diverting money from their accounts to fund his cheating lifestyle and trips to California "for business" I could see where she would feel slapped in the face and, having no biological or emotional connection to the baby which she now knows she was tricked into persuing under false pretenses would be a bit reluctant to give Sal big bucks to care for his son. What the courts see as what her legal responsibilities are in this case will be interesting.

Are there information to back these up?? or is this just speculation?? There is a lot of negative talk about Sal in so many of these posts..... no he doesn't seem like a great guy or anything but there doesn't seem to be much substance behind the criticism. I'm sure there will be a lot of information made public when court proceedings start

I looked once and could find 0 information... but I'm pretty sure Sal has his own wealth..... Sherri wouldn't have given him a second look if he didn't

• Love 1

Does anyone disagree with that??

Nope.  Not me.  Not one bit.  There actually is a very, very good example of a man walking out on a child.  But at the time, the "man" and his wife were not famous enough for there to be such an outcry, and the woman he left her for had a lot of fans.  It was an adoption.  I believe it is completely irrelevant whether it's a surrogate with one side of the couple being the bio-parent, both sides being bio-parents, or neither being a bio-parent, or an adoption.  To me, what matters is what the couple themselves agreed to in their marriage.  When the marriage takes a turn for the worse, that does not let one half of the couple walk away from a child whether for conveniences' sake, for financial sake, for any sake.

http://www.deceptology.com/2010/08/story-of-discovery-of-adulterous-affair.html

It's just sad.  It's why I don't read gossip website message boards anymore.  Fans of Tori defend Dean with a passion.  "His wife adopted the baby alone"..."he never bonded with the child so he's not responsible"..."he didn't want the baby, she did"..."she completed the adoption alone"...    Well, of course she "completed" the adoption alone.  He had already walked away.  Make no mistake, they adopted the baby together.  If you read that link, the baby was adopted and was a part of their family before he even met Tori.  If there was some paperwork to complete three months after the adoption, it was not just in case the dad decided to cut out after he met a Spelling. 

The reason I believe this is on topic is because it doesn't matter what happened.  What matters is that Sherri and Sal agreed to have a baby together.  The celeb gossip website message boards completely excuse her, as they do Dean, because she isn't the "bio" parent, and because there's no "bonding" yet, and simply because she wants to walk away because it's easier and more fun to do that than do the right thing by a child.

Yep, she does.  Walk out on a spouse, but never, ever, walk out on a child.

• Love 6

Roger- I doubt Sal has any wealth at all. If you google Lamar Sally Bio his resume is on IMDb. Big deal - he was an uncredited writer on a tv show called Rodney back in 2004 for 2 years (9 episodes). And later Sherri threw him some bones.

LOL, Sherri said she was looking for a man with a good FICO score before marrying again and keeping Sal a secret for months on end while lusting after other men all the time......and months before on an HGTV Christmas show about decorating for Christmas while living in Harlem showed their getting engaged. And not a word on The View for months. That was also the time she implied she was hot for that wrestling guy.

• Love 2

I believe the baby would be much happier brought up by a loving, married couple, and not a life-long sentence to Sal and/or Sherri's craziness and immorality they both exhibited.

• Love 5

More than the flip of genders, how about the flip of circumstances?  Say Sherri and Sal had stayed together and brought this child into their home.  Imagine if someone dared tell Sherri it wasn't really hers?  Now maybe Sherri's attitude would be the same.  Reprehensible.  But can you imagine the outcry if everything stayed the same as it was expected to be when this was initiated and someone tried to define her child in the same way she is now defining it?  

When you consider the much smaller world of entertainment how high the rate is for adoption, surrogacy of all kinds, heck even the number of step children who end up melding and becoming just as much individuals' children as their biological one, this just seems insane from a cynically pragmatic view.  I cannot believe her lawyer not explaining to her the possible long term ramifications just professionally.  I know that is cold but career wise that has to be more potentially expensive than letting Sal continue to suckle on her monetary teat.

Yeah, there has to be a loving couple looking to adopt that would save this kid.......course they would never be free from Salerri and their constant lawsuits.

Cripes what a mess

I am choosing to believe that Sherri's suit to be cut free from the kid is a legal ploy to prevent money going to Sal.

Saddest thing ever......money really does make people stupid.

Are there information to back these up?? or is this just speculation?? There is a lot of negative talk about Sal in so many of these posts..... no he doesn't seem like a great guy or anything but there doesn't seem to be much substance behind the criticism. I'm sure there will be a lot of information made public when court proceedings start

I looked once and could find 0 information... but I'm pretty sure Sal has his own wealth..... Sherri wouldn't have given him a second look if he didn't

Roger, there was an article that laid out his earning the two years before they married. The majority of it was from unemployment and it was not very much.

However, I have read that he was formerly a teacher. So he does have a career path that he could choose to support himself and his child.

• Love 2
(edited)

@Dreamboat Annie, a couple of weeks ago, I had mentioned as another example the Tori and Dean affair and how he left his wife after the adoption. I knew the basic details, but had never read Mary Jo's firsthand account with all the details. Thanks for linking that. It was heartbreaking to read, but I'm sure she realizes by now that she is so much better off without that jerk. He's even worse than I thought. It amazes me that Tori, or any woman, would want a man who treated his wife and children so callously. How she could ever respect someone who did that is beyond comprehension. 

Saddest thing ever......money really does make people stupid.

While I agree that money does make some people stupid, in the case of Sherri and Sal I think the stoopid came way before the money.

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 6

He must have SOME money, because I assume he's paying rent, utilities, food, gas/car, phone, etc for himself now. Can't do that with no money coming in. Unless he had some stashed away.

• Love 1
(edited)
@Dreamboat Annie, a couple of weeks ago, I had mentioned as another example the Tori and Dean affair and how he left his wife after the adoption. I knew the basic details, but had never read Mary Jo's firsthand account with all the details. Thanks for linking that. It was heartbreaking to read, but I'm sure she realizes by now that she is so much better off without that jerk. He's even worse than I thought. It amazes me that Tori, or any woman, would want a man who treated his wife and children so callously. How she could ever respect someone who did that is beyond comprehension.

It's surely beyond my comprehension, LuckyBitch.  But want him, she did, and does.  And she has him.  Yes, his ex-wife is so much better off without him now (and truth be told, she's so much better than him anyway!), but it tells of how hard it was for her at first.  But Tori and Dean cared only for themselves.  The point is that story is proof positive, coming from MJ herself that they adopted the baby together, and so many like to think otherwise, giving those lame excuses why he didn't have to have anything to do with the baby.  Ditto what's going on with Sherri.  Very disturbing.  And, I am sorry I didn't know you had mentioned them as an example.  I signed up a while back but just started reading and posting recently.  I'm enjoying reading the posts here so much, and I am happy to be delving deeper and am looking forward to reading the post that you refer to, and all of your previous posts, and those of all posters as well.  I am really liking it here.  I wasn't sure I would, but I am.

Edited by Dreamboat Annie
  • Love 3
(edited)

Roger, much speculation, of course. But tweets and news from earlier this year portrayed all was well. In Feb/Mar both Sherrie and Sal were excited about the trip to LA to pitch a joint project. I'm sure Sherrie was thrilled, knowing her cohost job would probably not be renewed, to have something that BOTH of them could work on and get paid for. There was a photo she took that showed her at Game Show network offices. Whatever it was did not pan out. Sherrie returned with Jeffrey to NJ, Sal stayed in Cali and all hell broke loose. Sal's income the year before marriage was reported as around $30,000 with $9,000 from unemployment. As a "writer" he could sell jokes and pitch scripts, etc. but he never talked about or showed much regular work at all and didn't appear to actively help with Jeffrey or emotionally or physically put much into the household or relationship. there were reports he kept seeing a former flame on trips, etc. i don't think Sherrie would have minded being the main breadwinner as long as Sal was pitching in (people thought he was maintaining her Facebook and webpage as her Manager, but if that was true he was really horrible at it....a skill he could have easily developed) and helping with things and behind closed doors they were good....but I would bet money that something happened in California during that trip that flipped a switch on the relationship.

Edited by CathInAZ
  • Love 4
(edited)
I'm not sure that she's trying to walk away because it's inconvenient. ... Sal wants the baby very much,

I worked for lawyers for quite a few years, and learned quite a bit about the poker game that is involved in legal conflicts.  As long as Sherri does not make it seem like she wants the baby, she is the one with all the leverage.  It seems like Sal thought he was playing a trump card by requesting sole custody.  I think Sherri is receiving excellent legal advice (and miracle of miracles, listening to it) and decided to whisk that leverage right back by saying publicly she doesn't want custody.

It's my opinion that Sal's tacky "I will SUE you if you don't want this baby!" leak to TMZ is coming from desperation and the realization that he is now in a very weak bargaining position.

I remember when Iran was holding the American hostages way back when, and some expert said that the worst thing you can do in a situation like that was say, "You have something I want desperately!  What can I do to get this precious thing from you?" He said that that's what basically the U.S. was doing, showing its hand about how much it wanted those hostages back, and thereby putting itself in a very weak bargaining position.  It seems Sherri's legal counsel is using that as an anti-strategy.  I doubt very much she doesn't want the to-be-born baby, but I applaud the way she is retaining the position of power in the negotiations.

I find it despicable that Sherri's two ex-husbands, whose only link is through her, are banding together to get her to pony up the dough for their lifestyles.  Leeches, both of them, using their kids as bargaining chips.

I also think they're doing it now while Sherri still is on The View and still has a good salary.  I don't think she'll have the same bank book afterwards and they know that as well. I'm not a particular fan of Sherri's, but she is truly involved with a pit of vipers right now.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 6

Sherri can be calling Sal's bluff. He wants legal and full custody with Sherri having only supervised visits. I am sure he is angling for child support as well.

So this is the one time I am on Sherri's side by saying I am walking away and leaving Sal with the whole basket. He has already shown what an ass he is with those articles on TMZ. Let this backfire in his face.

I give no fucks about Tori and Dean. She got exactly what she had coming to her when he cheated on her ass. That is how they got together so I didn't feel bad for her when the shit hit the fan. I don't really feel sorry for Sherri cause she wanted a husband so bad and she picked this idiot.

The only people I feel for are Jefferey and the new baby.

• Love 3
(edited)

He must have SOME money, because I assume he's paying rent, utilities, food, gas/car, phone, etc for himself now. Can't do that with no money coming in. Unless he had some stashed away.

Until divorce papers are signed, they both have some access to their financial accounts - lawyers will want them to account for expenditures to make sure funds aren't bring siphoned and are being used for reasonable expenses ( rent, food, etc)

Edited by CathInAZ

In Feb/Mar both Sherrie and Sal were excited about the trip to LA to pitch a joint project. I'm sure Sherrie was thrilled, knowing her cohost job would probably not be renewed, to have something that BOTH of them could work on and get paid for.

Just spitballing here but I agree that the turning point was the trip to California. I think Sherri knew her contract was up and the show was allowing her to get another job before she announced she was moving on. Sal had been pushing to move back to California (in tweets) so this was probably why he was so excited back then. It could be that Sherri believed she had an "in" with someone and could get a show without any problems. As I recall, the tweets were happy, happy, then all of a sudden they went sad, sad. Whatever job or jobs they were so sure of just didn't happen. I think that Sal just decided he wasn't going back. Who knows how much he thought this whole thing out. YMMV!

• Love 3

Sal may have become accustomed to a certain lifestyle that the court will allow...for awhile.  His prenup settlement amount of $60k won't allow him even a year of living in Los Angeles.   There could be some sort of alimony arrangement.  Ouch!

Yeah, there has to be a loving couple looking to adopt that would save this kid.......course they would never be free from Salerri and their constant lawsuits.

Doesn't Sherri have over 600,000 Twitter followers?  I'd bet there would be women (couples?) who would FIGHT to get that baby...and the bragging rights and media coverage--for as long as they could squeeze it.

I stumbled across Sal's LinkedIn account. It says he is an instructor at Los Angeles Academy of Media and Technology. I looked this school up and it is a non-profit that helps inner city kids learn about digital filmmaking and technology. I guess he went back to teaching.

• Love 2

Nobody knows if "Sherri wants out of the deal." That's TMZ's story, which may have been fed to it by Sal. We don't know what Sherri's position is about this baby. Nobody has seen the court filings, including TMZ (they would have posted them if they had them). Likely they are being filed "under seal" - secret until the court decides they can be released, given the sensitive nature of the subject matter.

Unless and until people have access to, have read, and understand the prenuptial agreement, surrogacy agreement, and divorce papers, all discussion of this is pure, hysterical speculation. But hey if that's your thing, knock yourselves out.

• Love 7
(edited)

I stumbled across Sal's LinkedIn account. It says he is an instructor at Los Angeles Academy of Media and Technology. I looked this school up and it is a non-profit that helps inner city kids learn about digital filmmaking and technology. I guess he went back to teaching.

A quick search shows that the academy web site is not active and their sparse Facebook page has had nothing added since 2009 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Los-Angeles-Academy-of-Media-Technology/100225288706

Edited by springtime

Sal tweeted that he has been paying rent on wherever he is living for 10 years - don't think it was 5.

For me, if Sherri and Sal had stayed together and adopted this baby there would be no "it's my sperm, my baby or it's not my egg, not my baby."  And there would be no baby at all without Sherri's buying it.  Give him to Sal as a parting gift:  Thanks for playing, here's your baby.  LOL  Yes, I'm being a tad catty here.

I do hope though that it is just the womb of the surrogate they rented - the smart thing to do - so this deal will be over for this woman as soon as she gives birth.

Very interesting case to follow.  When it all shakes out, I guess we'll know what the signed documents say.

• Love 3

Unless and until people have access to, have read, and understand the prenuptial agreement, surrogacy agreement, and divorce papers, all discussion of this is pure, hysterical speculation. But hey if that's your thing, knock yourselves out.

We discuss the View.  Pure hysterical speculation is this show's purview after all.  oh wait.  We didn't put it on blue cards!  Our bad.

• Love 13

Great!   Now perennial best-dressed lister, Sherri, is giving wardrobe suggestions to Sunny Hostin.  Tighter!  Shorter!!   What's worse, apparently Sonny is taking the advice and wore shorts.  OY!   Is she THAT desperate for the gig?  Does she actually think Sherri has some clout?

• Love 4

I was thinking this afternoon that all of the media coverage Sherri is getting is probably not going to help her much in finding a new gig though I know many subscribe to any attention is better than none.  If Sal is putting out that she doesn't want this baby then he's basically shooting himself in the foot.  Less opportunities = less money for Sal to try and get.

• Love 1
(edited)

I just finally watched that TMZ video from yesterday, where Sherri was asked questions as she left the courthouse. OMG, what the hell is wrong with her? Does she really think wearing a bright blue sleeveless peplum top with a bright green tight skirt, and hot pink heels is a good look for court??

8lDO2eE.png

And, I really, really hate that weave. It looks like a cheap, stringy mess. Plus, she looks like she has a receding hairline.

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 1

Too bad she treated Clinton Kelly so rudely when they were paired together for that now famous cooking segment on The View.

She really could use some of his What Not to Wear advice!

Maybe he was trying to give her fashion advice and she got pissed!!! lol

• Love 2

Strange that Sherri appears to be alone leaving court. Interesting that TMZ asked her about the surrogate baby, but that's not why she was in court. I personally wouldn't wear that particular outfit to court.

• Love 1

Just posted over at TMZ:

SHERRI SHEPHERD WINS CUSTODY BATTLE Versus Husband #1
55 MINUTES AGO BY TMZ STAFF

Sherri Shepherd will maintain primary physical custody of her 9-year-old son, despite her ex-husband's claims she's a horrible parent to the child.

Sherri emerged victorious over Jeffrey Tarpley after yesterday's hearing in L.A. County Court -- he was seeking full custody of their son, but was denied by the judge.

TMZ broke the story ... Jeffrey made some horrendous claims about Sherri neglecting Jeffrey Jr. -- including blaming her for the boy not being able to read or tie his shoe laces.

The judge clearly disagreed. In court docs -- obtained by TMZ -- she wrote, "there has not been a material change in circumstances to grant the request."

• Love 1
(edited)

@ginger90, generally in a change of custody motion, or even in a motion to modify child support, there has to be a material change in circumstances. It seems here that the judge is saying nothing has really changed so why is the father suddenly claiming he should have custody after all these years? If the father is unable to prove that there are factors in the child's environment that are harmful, or not in his best interest (the standard used by the court), then the judge will not order a change in custody. It's usually very difficult to obtain a change in custody, so I'm not at all surprised.

ETA: Basic info on the issue:  http://family-law.lawyers.com/child-custody/key-factors-in-modifying-child-custody.html

ETA again: Note that one could argue that the first three factors DO apply to Sherri:

The courts are guided by the presence or absence of certain key factors in determining whether circumstances have changed enough that modification of the custody arrangements would best serve the child.

Ability to Provide Stable Environment

The parents' ability to fulfill the child's basic needs is a crucial factor in determining whether to modify custody. A court may transfer custody if a parent can't provide the child with a stable environment. Situations that may influence a court to transfer custody include when the custodial parent:

• Moves frequently
  • Has a hard time keeping a job
  • Has multiple relationships or marriages
  • Interferes with the other parent's visitation rights

Courts will usually not transfer custody just because the custodial parent has a less stable environment than the other parent. The changes in the custodial parent's environment have to be substantial, and the child's best interests would have to be promoted by a change in custody.

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 3

I wonder what happened to Sal being called? I wonder if he thought about that a bit. BUT, Tarpley's  lawyer had said he was going to call him, so something had  to have been transcribed that Sal said and was going to be (they thought) helpful. I wonder what happened.

The organization that Sal says he is affiliated with in LinkedIn doesn't seem to publicize much about what they do, but that doesn't mean they don't do good work. It just seems like it was started by. Steve J. that may run it out of his home and doesn't have many employees but may have lots of volunteers (I.e. Friends of his) that help provide programs like many Foundations do. A business website says about it :

Since 2007, Los Angeles Academy Of Media & Technology Foundation has been providing Communication Services, Nec from Placentia. Los Angeles Academy Of Media & Technology Foundation has estimated annual revenues of $ 100,000.00 and also employs an estimated 2 employees.

If Sal is volunteering there regularly, great. But it is odd that information of what programs they offer, etc. aren't more readily available. Sometimes "foundations" are just something that looks good on the founders resume and the activities could consist of something as minor as a "weekend" camp run by volunteers.

• Love 1

The organization that Sal says he is affiliated with in LinkedIn doesn't seem to publicize much about what they do, but that doesn't mean they don't do good work. It just seems like it was started by. Steve J. that may run it out of his home and doesn't have many employees but may have lots of volunteers (I.e. Friends of his) that help provide programs like many Foundations do. A business website says about it :

Since 2007, Los Angeles Academy Of Media & Technology Foundation has been providing Communication Services, Nec from Placentia. Los Angeles Academy Of Media & Technology Foundation has estimated annual revenues of $ 100,000.00 and also employs an estimated 2 employees.

If Sal is volunteering there regularly, great. But it is odd that information of what programs they offer, etc. aren't more readily available. Sometimes "foundations" are just something that looks good on the founders resume and the activities could consist of something as minor as a "weekend" camp run by volunteers.

Do you have a link?

Can Sherri Shepherd walk away from unborn surrogate child?

LOS ANGELES –  Talk show veteran Sherri Shepherd has come under fire following allegations she no longer wants to mother the child she is expecting via surrogate this month.

According to TMZ, her estranged husband Lamar Sally is preparing to file legal documents to stop her withdrawing from a surrogate contract she signed while they were still together. The couple each filed separate divorce documents in early May. Sally is said to be the biological father of the child, while an egg donor was reportedly used through in-vitro fertilization.

"Sherri doesn't want anything to do with the child and refuses to pay any child support," a source connected to the situation told FOX411. "She is not budging and is completely detached. She feels very just in her actions and claims the child is not hers."

The former host of ABC’s “The View” reportedly wants no part in parenting the unborn child to avoid having to pay out massive child support payments. Shepherd has an estimated net value of $10 million, while her soon-to-be ex-husband reportedly earned just $30,000 in 2010 – 90 percent of which came from unemployment benefits, while Shepherd made around $1 million that year.

The couple wed in August of 2011.

Shepherd claims that Sally defrauded her from entering into the surrogate agreement, alleging that he planned to file for divorce but wanted her commitment to paying child support.

The issue has been made more complicated given that Sally filed for divorce in California, while Shepherd then filed in the state of New Jersey which does not typically recognize surrogacy agreements and thus could work in her favor. But legal experts say California will most likely take the first stab at the case.

“Whoever served his or her case first will win on which state court will hear the matter. But I am inclined to believe that despite the fact that she did not carry the child and the egg is not hers, that in California she will still be on the hook for child support because she signed a contract and the court will find the payment of support is in the child’s best interest,” California-based divorce and family law attorney Jeffrey Hoffer said, adding that such a case is a rare. “You do not get to make babies by contract or otherwise and then get to walk away from your obligations.”

Hoffer also noted that the child could end up in the foster care system if social services were to get involved, but if the parents have the means to pay for support, they will be required to do so for a long time.

“This is a child, not a piece of property,” Hoffer continued. “And if Lamar wanted to use a baby to get support that would have been a stupid thing to do because the responsibility of raising a child vastly outweighs the amount of money he’ll receive in return.”

Leo Terrell of CleartheCourt.com said a divorce court will rule that both husband and wife will have responsibility in taking care of the surrogate child, and given that Sherri is the biggest earner, she will most likely have to foot the child support bills.

Reps for Shepherd and Sally did not immediately respond to a request for comment, although the television host appeared to address the issue indirectly on Twitter this week.

“Keep the prayers coming... Still got more battles - please judge me by my character and not from the tabloids who are having a slow news day,” she wrote.

Yet if Shepherd’s claim of fraud stands as a defense against enforcement of the surrogate contract, and she can prove she was duped into the contract, Larry Bodine of Law Marketing argued that she would then be “off the hook.”

Only two months ago Shepherd joked around about the process of finding a surrogate mother and expressed her desire to have a second son.

"We’re starting the process of making sure the uterus that we picked is not crazy," Shepherd, who already has an eight-year-old son from a previous marriage, told Essence.com. "I’m a boy’s type of girl… Girls are just too high maintenance."

As some of us have said, once again Sherri's own words will be her downfall, (and deservedly so, in my opinion). Her claims of fraud and being manipulated into the surrogacy are in complete conflict with the many, many statements she has made over the last several years, on television, in magazine interviews, and on Twitter, about her plans and desires to find a surrogate.

• Love 1
(edited)

Springtime, I can't get the link thing to work, but I googled the full name of the foundation in quotes and read through a few of the sites that came up. The dandb.com site is where I got what I cut and pasted above. Also read in other sites about founder Steve J. Hope this helps.

Edited by CathInAZ
(edited)

Re: Sherri's court couture. A few months ago I had an idea to hit up a local hardware store for funding for a program for our preschoolers. When I offered to drop off the proposal, my boss said she'd do it, and wear a low-cut blouse that day. She never explained what she would do if the manager in charge wasn't swayed by large breasts. 

Re: Today's discussion about religion making children less likely to distinguish facts from fantasy. Sherri tells the viewers that she tells Jeffrey about Shadrack, Meshash and Abednego so that he'll understand what faith is. If he doesn't have faith in that story, how can he ever believe a man can rise from the dead? 

I think Whoopi is probably counting the days until she doesn't have to explain everything to her co-hosts. 

Edited by CousinAmy
  • Love 1

Springtime, I can't get the link thing to work, but I googled the full name of the foundation in quotes and read through a few of the sites that came up. The dandb.com site is where I got what I cut and pasted above. Also read in other sites about founder Steve J. Hope this helps.

I found this info that indicates that the Academy is no longer in business:

http://www.wysk.com/index/california/placentia/6hfcxh4/los-angeles-academy-of-media-and-technology-foundation/profile

I read some where that the prenup states that Sherri gets custody of any children that her and Sal have (which is why I assume he's asking for the the prenup to be voided). For Sal to complain that Sherri no longer wants anything to do with the baby after he allegedly stated in court documents that he wants primary custody of the child with Sherri getting little visitation (and for her not to interfere with him taking custody at the time of birth) is making it seem like he is just in it for the money. Either you want her in the child's life or you don't. He's apparently in cahoots with Jeff Sr to make Sherri seem like a terrible mother, so if he really felt like that, he should be glad she apparently doesn't want anything to do with it.

You should really only be allowed to file for divorce in the state that you and your spouse consider home. Not file in some other state because you prefer their laws.

• Love 6
(edited)

For reference- Here is a copy of Sal's separation filing:

complete with all his demands!

http://amradaronline.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/sherribb.pdf

(I had seen it online but could never find it when I searched for it later!)

Thanks for that link. I hadn't seen it before. It says they entered  into the Gestational Carrier Contract on November 18, 2012. That's about a year before the surrogate got pregnant with this soon to be born baby.

On that issue, here's some interesting info in another article about Sherri's mess:

“She might be able to absolve herself of legal responsibility,” said Sanford Benardo, a lawyer who specializes in hooking up surrogates and egg donors with prospective parents through the Northeast Assisted Fertility Group, of which he’s founder and president. He plays no role in the Shepherd/Sally case.

“What may happen is social services may get involved,” he told me. Yes, the child could wind up in foster care. “Why spend $150,000 to create a baby who would otherwise never have been born, then mess it up like this?” asked Benardo. “It’s disaster.”

He said a surrogate typically gets paid up to $40,000 for carrying a baby, and a lawyer’s fees add up to $10,000 to the tab. Plus, an in-vitro clinic gets up to $40,000, an egg donor is paid about $10,000. There are costs for a surrogate’s travel, medical care, assorted living expenses and catastrophic health insurance. Babies don’t come cheap.

This tragic case demonstrates how child-making methods have greatly extended the years women can procure children. But at what cost to a baby who never asked to be born? And then, there’s the underclass of rent-a-wombs — women who make their livings bearing children for the rich.

Benardo appeared in a 2011 episode of “The View” in which Shepherd talked about her wish to bring a child into the world with the help of a surrogate.  Guests on the show included the daughter of domestic dominatrix Martha Stewart, Alexis. In 2011 at age 45, Alexis Stewart, a radio and TV personality, produced a daughter carried by a surrogate from Pennsylvania, and a son by the same method the following year. (Surrogacy is illegal in New York state.) The children were made with the sperm of an anonymous donor. But Alexis Stewart did not say if she used another woman’s egg.

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 1