Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: The Holidays

• Start Topic

OMG watching Sean and Davina was painful.  I really think they're fantasizing themselves into a relationship.  She said something like "they got a lot of work accomplished" on their honeymoon.  Geez Louise, if you have to make your honeymoon into WORK you're more far gone than I even thought!  I still get creepy vibes from Sean.  Even Davina couldn't believe he decorated that apartment.  And that holiday tee shirt was creepy too.

When Sean started talking about a girlfriend last year who miscarried, I was like "back it up, back it up"!  I didn't believe my ears.  Was this something I missed somewhere along the line?  And for Davina to talk about it so calmly like it was 10 years ago or something.  I thought I entered an alternate universe.  What happened to this girlfriend?  And if this only just happened in 2014, how the F**K is he ready for marriage with someone else?  Who will he be telling THIS story to in 2016?  Yikes!!!

Ryan and Jaclyn just continue to get better every week.  I really like them.  I even like his mom.  She reminds me of my grandma (may she rest in peace).  And I knew they would end up working out the details.  I look forward to seeing them grow every week.  They definitely don't approach this as "work".  They are living into it one day at a time, like adults.  One thing I don't get is we never hear about Jaclyn's family.  They are not even mentioned at all. 

Not sure what's going on with Ryan and Jessica.  I liked that Ryan is showing more maturity and invited her parents over with his mom.  I think Jessica needs to get over his faux pas.  Men notoriously suffer from foot in mouth disease and walk out when they have had enough "discussion".  This is nothing unusual.  She is 30 years old, she should know this by now.  Both of them act much younger than their ages.

• Love 5

With each passing episode Sean's odd relationship with his parents and their fear of him going into this experiment is brought to light. Did these so-called "experts" know of his miscarriage? These two together is just too much baggage. Holy Shit. 

I was surprised with how Ryan D. handled himself tonight. He's no saint but at least he recognizes his faults. I still don't think he and Jessica are a good match. They won't go the distance. I really like his mom though.

It was nice that Jaclyn made the effort of being of there with Ryan during Christmas. Those moments with his niece and mom were very sweet. The commute sounds brutal though. I can understand their frustrations.

• Love 2

I was very creeped out by Sean talking about his girlfriend's miscarriage.  If it really happened "in 2014" that means he went from that relationship immediately to getting married on the show.  Obviously he has some serious issues.

• Love 8

Ryan D saying he doesn't want to "have to" get mad at Jessica rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't see growth. I saw him do something decent and expect his awful behavior erased. Also what was with getting mad Jessica brought up a private conversation in a public restaurant?! You're filming a Reality Show about being married! I hate cats, but not even a cat deserves to be pulled into this mess.

I didn't like Ryan R saying he felt like he wasted his money on the bag. She did appreciate it, and yeah when pressed she admitted it looked like maybe an older person would use it but she noticed the leopard thought. She put a lot of thought into Ryan's gifts it seems. I think she's trying the most. Plus I didn't hear "dude" this episode!

The weddings took place in December 2014. Sometime for that Sean had to have applied for the show. At what point in the year did the miscarriage happen? This came out of no where (on Christmas Eve). Did that relationship end and he went right to the show? Since Sean brought it up I would have thought Davina would ask a single question about the woman and their relationship.

• Love 3

Sean chews with his mouth open. Gross. That makes two bad habits he has that my toddler nephew knows better than to do.

I felt a little better about Ryan and Jessica tonight, but I'm not yet convinced. I can't cosign anger issues, but I'm willing to withhold judgment and wait and see.

Jaclyn and Ryan were a pleasure to watch. I can't believe how much more I like her. I do feel she's being sincere, and I'm giving her a pass on her initial reaction. While I mostly either feel a connection right away or I just don't ever, there have been times when the attraction and connection grew from friendship.

I can see how much warmer and more affectionate she is with Ryan, and she seemed more comfortable--not totally, but definitely more.

Edited by Scorpiosunshine
  • Love 4

No wonder Mama Sean had a look of horror on her face when Sean announced he was getting married to a stranger.   Its cause she knew he was still in the process of getting over the miscarriage.  And if the experts knew about it, then they really were going to cast him no matter what cause of his connection to Doug.  As much as Davina bugs me, she so didn't deserve to be matched with Sean as he is just an emotional trainwreck.  

Ryan D still isn't my favorite guy but he at least made an attempt to get along with Jess.  No idea if this 'nicer' Ryan D is real or just shows up time to time when he knows his mom will be around. 

Love, love, love how well Jaclyn and Ryan are developing their relationship.    The commute will be brutal even from a mid way point between Stony Brook and New Jersey but I really do think both of them think its worth it to continue on with their marriage and will continue to compromise.   

• Love 5

WTF is wrong with this show?  How can Sean possibly be ready for a relationship?  Even if his fiance died it was still not long ago enough for him to be ready.  Any attempts to make the selection process look legitimate and the so-called "experts" knowing what they're doing seems completely bogus to me right now, sorry.  And what I don't get is why the audience is just finding out about this now.  It was like a bomb drop.  And Davina is living is a fantasy land.  I didn't sense that any of their interaction was genuine.  It was like they were playing house and saying how wonderful it was on the surface when they don't even realize what a train wreck is coming just ahead.

• Love 12

I am kinda hoping that Sean did not disclose this information to the experts; otherwise it's a serious professional error to match Davina with such a vulnerable person. Losing a child and getting married to a stranger in the same year is a lot for a single person, let alone someone like Sean who has a tortured past.

This makes me question even more the true motives behind selecting these people.

I still think Ryan R is out of Jaclyn's league. I still don't understand why she was freaking out at the alter.

I still strongly dislike Ryan D but he acted like a normal human being in this episode.

• Love 2

Y'all are all on it, as usual. This was a good episode.

Sean....sigh! One: not only does he unattractively chew with his mouth open as Scorpiosunshine noted, but he makes pronounced chewing noises, too. Sir, please cut that out. I'm shocked Davina hasn't said anything to him about it. Two: I know I'm being petty and harsh, but I'ma say this anyway: my gut feeling about Sean from the first night together episode onward has been, "this is the kind of dude who cries and tell his wife how much he loves her as he chops up her body and stores the body parts in the freezer in the basement." That's a terrible description and opinion to have of someone I don't know (and I'm mostly kidding), but this dude has issues and worries me. So, he went from the trauma and seriousness of a lost child directly into an arranged marriage with a complete stranger on TV? Nah! I'm calling it right now. Sean will want to stay married and Davina is going to say no on that decision show because she figures out this dude is even more loquito than she is.

Ryan D/Jessica: Ryan showed us more palatable layers of his personality on this episode. I still don't care for him overall, but I liked that he wanted both families to be together over the holiday and seemed somewhat contrite about his behavior during "Trashy-gate." I'm starting to think that the tone he had during the off-camera make-up phone conversation with Jessica right before she moved into his place for a week was very different from his cocky, insouciant on-camera vibe. Some of you here have said before that you feel like he has said and done some things during this experiment in order to not look weak in the eyes of his bros who'll be watching the show and judging like we are. I'm starting to really see that. I still don't think they're a good match. I still think my boo Jessica is going to get her heart broken and I don't like it.

Ryan R/Jaclyn: I still love them.  I like how she was with his niece and mom. They already look like a family to me. I was hoping to see her family as well. She mentioned having very specific Italian and Indian holiday traditions. I was looking forward to seeing both sides of her family. Ummm...so Ryan literally lives in his mom's basement? I thought maybe it was a duplex and he lived in the bottom unit. OK...You can see in just the way Jaclyn looks at him that her feelings have deepened. I find her to be really self-aware in the talking heads about what behaviors she needs to change to make this more of a romantic partnership. Someone in the RyanD/Jac thread said knowing those behaviors are detrimental and changing them are two different things. I agree, but I'm optimistic. Jaclyn gets a demerit for laughing at the purse, though. My boy Ryan looked a bit hurt. He maybe should have gotten advice from a 20 or 30 something female relative/friend about what to buy. Salespeople don't have your best interests at heart and his brother looked even more clueless than he. I'm truly enjoying watching the trajectory of this pairing, though.

I've said enough here for like a week...

• Love 7

WTF is wrong with this show?  How can Sean possibly be ready for a relationship?  Even if his fiance died it was still not long ago enough for him to be ready.  Any attempts to make the selection process look legitimate and the so-called "experts" knowing what they're doing seems completely bogus to me right now, sorry.  And what I don't get is why the audience is just finding out about this now.  It was like a bomb drop.  And Davina is living is a fantasy land.  I didn't sense that any of their interaction was genuine.  It was like they were playing house and saying how wonderful it was on the surface when they don't even realize what a train wreck is coming just ahead.

I'm beginning to wonder if the experts came up with one viable couple--Ryan & Jaclyn and then went scrambling around to fit square pegs into round holes with the other four to make a show cause there is something very, very wrong with Sean.    If they do end up imploding, that six month reunion show that they film will be must see tv as Davina has a real case to call out the experts on her match.

• Love 6

I thought the purse was cute, but what do I know? I did think Jaclyn should have been more gracious. However, I have to give Jac her props; she's a good gift-giver.

So Sean was in a relationship that resulted in a pregnancy and subsequent miscarriage just a matter of months prior to this filming? And from what he said, it didn't seem like it had been an early miscarriage. At what point did that relationship end? Had they been planning to be together with this child? When the hell did he sign up for this show? No wonder his mother had that look on her face like her son had lost his fucking mind when he told her he was getting married. And I do not buy Davina's reaction for a second. Any normal woman would have said, "Whoa, hold the phone. So what happened with you and this potential baby mama?"

• Love 11

Ryan D saying he doesn't want to "have to" get mad at Jessica rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't see growth. I saw him do something decent and expect his awful behavior erased. Also what was with getting mad Jessica brought up a private conversation in a public restaurant?! You're filming a Reality Show about being married! I hate cats, but not even a cat deserves to be pulled into this mess.

I said out loud at this revelation: "Why do you have to make me so mad, baby? I don't want to have to hit you!" And he went straight into passive voice "things were said". Still not feeling this guy. He's a self centered jerk who won't take responsibility for his actions. Jessica is a sweet girl and I'm sorry for her, you can see her disappointment.

Loving Ryan and Jackie. She's a genuinely nice person and I love how thoughtful she is. That clothes steamer for Ryan! I laughed out loud, it was just the sort of thing I would give someone. I adore her.

Davina and Sean. I agree that they are off, somehow. Their conversations don't feel organic. They don't seem to really have fun. I can see a fun loving couple enjoying being goofy with holiday t shirts and hats, but on them they just looked weird and awkward.

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 3

Woah, first they cast someone with known anger issues and then someone who lost a child they really wanted just months before? What the hell? The way he was talking about wanting a child more than anything made me wonder if he really is gay and wanted a wife just so he could have babies. He also said something about not knowing how to put a nail in wood. The overtly sexual behaviour in the beginning also made it seem like he had something to prove. No wonder his mom was so against the whole thing. She knows he has more issues than Vogue. I was also really surprised they didn't spend any time with Sean's family even though they must live pretty close by. Everyone else had their families involved and those two were just sharing an awkward dinner together.

Ryan D was acting more appropriate this episode, but somehow he still seems like he's BS'ing every time he talks. It's like he knows he's just saying things he's supposed to say and not what he really thinks. I also heard him say something like "I hope I won't have to get mad at Jessica again". He's totally still blaming her for getting him riled up rather than taking responsibility for his own actions. Bad bad sign. Shifty character.

Jaclyn and Ryan R and so damn cute! I love how much effort she's making with the gifts and the traveling back and forth. And she was so sweet his mom and niece! She's clearly falling for him, since she wasn't even bothered about him living in his mom's basement. These two seem genuine and a nice fit.

• Love 6

If I had to pick people to spend the holiday with, Ryan R. and Jackin would win. Ryan and Jessica win Most Improved from the bowels of Hell their honeymoon seemed to be and Sean and Davina were just depressing. And I had called her Dr. Doom! His name could be Woe is Me. Geez. Why is he there??

• Love 1

I was very creeped out by Sean talking about his girlfriend's miscarriage.  If it really happened "in 2014" that means he went from that relationship immediately to getting married on the show.  Obviously he has some serious issues.

I am confused.  When Sean told that story, I sensed that this wasn't a serious girlfriend, rather a hook up who got pregnant and called Sean, and then called and said she miscarried.  

• Love 5

I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this besides me. Jaclyn is always "on". It seems to me she's trying soooooo hard to reverse her original feelings about Ryan that she seems to be in overdrive. Everything he says elicits loud guffaws from her. She's all kissy-face with his mom, his niece. There's nothing wrong with that, but she hardly knows them. She's like a hurricane zooming through the room.

And then there's Ryan. This may be harsh, but this is how I see it: He's a boring dude. Does he even have a personality? He's slow talking, slow moving....together they are like a firecracker and a bucket of water. If you watch his face when she works the room at Christmas, it's like he's enraptured. Not by her, necessarily, but by the fact she takes charge of everything. He may have complained a little bit on their honeymoon that she was being too aggressive, but IMO he's perfectly content to sit back and let her run the show. That's would be fine for many women, but I believe Jaclyn wants, and needs, someone that can match her quick wit and vivaciousness with either some of the same qualities or have the ability to reign her in but yet have their own strong personality and doesn't fade into the woodwork.

Ryan and Jaclyn do not compliment each other....there, I said it. Yeah, he's a nice guy....and do you hear how many times she keeps repeating that? Jaclyn is faking it. I really like her, and I think she deserves better than him.

• Love 4

That miscarriage could've happened in Jan 2013 ("last year" WAS 2013, not 2014).

Men get over stuff last like that easier than women. They're not carrying the baby, so they don't have the level of emotional attachment.

But Sean, close your damn mouth.

Douchebag, you too. I don't want to hear anything from you.

• Love 1

That miscarriage could've happened in Jan 2013 ("last year" WAS 2013, not 2014).

Except that he actually said 2014. Out loud. While I spit tea all over my coffee table. 

**If I misheard, someone please correct me but I remember hearing the year.

• Love 4

I had to laugh when Davina walked into Sean's place and said that his mom totally decorated it.... It didn't look at all like a bachelor place to me, either. Is he really going to leave NJ and move to NYC for Davina? 

I was a little disappointed to see Ryan R. living in his mom's basement. Come on, buddy, you're too old for that. I'm curious to see how he and Jaclyn move forward with their living arrangements. 

Anybody else notice that all three of the wives had to trek their asses to the husbands for Christmas? I didn't like that. 

• Love 1

Except that he actually said 2014. Out loud. While I spit tea all over my coffee table. 

**If I misheard, someone please correct me but I remember hearing the year.

He said 2014. Earlier in the year. 

• Love 4

This episode was a doozy!

Sean is just getting around to telling his "wife" about his loss earlier in the same year as their marriage is a giant red flag waving and marching up and down the street.

Doubtful Davina was blind sided.

Her reaction seemed subdued as if she has already processed such a big revelation from Sean.

Thinking the producers controlled the timing of this info.

Wonder if the experts will address why they thought Sean was still a husband candidate for their "social experiment."

Jessica continues her delusional rationalizing Ryan's behavior towards her.

Good behavior like buying a tree and celebrating Christmas does not make up for his boorish behavior/hurtful words.

Ryan R. this is the only tip you can get from Sean: Tiffany's is where you buy your wife's gifts until you get better at gift buying.

Jaclyn: make a list of gifts Ryan R. can choose from.

He gets a pass on this holiday since they knew each other less than 2 weeks.

But he did get his feeling hurt when his purse gift failed.

Hope he kept the receipt so Jacklyn can return the purse and get something else that doesn't make her roll around on the floor laughing.

Inching closer and closer to consummating the marriage.

Go Ryan R.!

Edited by humbleopinion

OK. So watching last night the following things ran through my brain regarding the couples:

Jacklyn and Ryan R - I couldn't believe after spending an entire week with her on an island he had no idea what her taste was beyond leopard. Either he's totally dense or doesn't listen. Either way that's not a good sign. I like that they are getting closer but I think this is a strange match overall.  I hated that she laughed at his gift. Even if you don't like something you smile and say thank you. She is horribly inappropriate.

Sean and Davina - Another week and another week I shake my head. Davina is the type of woman that has so many walls up and expects her man to be a mind reader that NO man will ever live up to her needs. However, Sean is a huge douchebag. I also spit my wine out when he said he had a miscarriage in 2014 and she was far enough along that they knew the sex. Most doctors can't determine sex until 18-20 weeks - so she was almost 1/2 way through the pregnancy. THEN he gets married in the SAME year. I did not get the sense they were a couple at all. I also got the sense she was just a hook up that got knocked up. It's still a horrible bomb to drop on Christmas. Davina ASKS him NOTHING about it. Ok she's had red flags about him interrupting her but not about a damn miscarriage? I would have had a MILLION questions. Hell no would I have dropped the subject and just patted his hand and said I'm sorry.  

Jessica and Ryan D - He could have been perfect this week and I would still not like him. He doesn't seem sincere at all. He opens the door for her and doesn't greet her with a kiss.  He doesn't initiate kisses at all. It's so odd to me. I still don't think he's in to her and I think she's so desperate for a man she will put up with anything.

• Love 4
Jaclyn and Ryan R and so damn cute! I love how much effort she's making with the gifts and the traveling back and forth. And she was so sweet his mom and niece! She's clearly falling for him, since she wasn't even bothered about him living in his mom's basement. These two seem genuine and a nice fit.

Their progress is interesting to me because it supports the theory that, given enough time and perseverance, affection can develop between many sorts of disparate people. I still think Ryan R would have been a good match with Jessica and that Jaclyn would have been much more able to respond to Ryan D's "teasing" in kind. If he dumped her into the water, she would have damned well dunked him right back. They may have turned into a battle royale, but at least Jaclyn is not the trembling fawn that Jessica is.

I fully expected Davina to blow a gasket upon finding out about Sean's recent breakup from a serious relationship as well as the pregnancy but she took it very calmly.

... or as others said upthread, maybe it wasn't a serious relationship. Still.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

Ryan and Jaclyn do not compliment each other....there, I said it. Yeah, he's a nice guy....and do you hear how many times she keeps repeating that? Jaclyn is faking it. I really like her, and I think she deserves better than him.

I'm trying to reserve judgement until we see more episodes but when she was talking about having a "crush" on her husband it felt more like she was trying to convince herself she felt that way. I have a feeling this particular interview was taken at a much later date, I'm not sure what Jaclyn told the experts she wanted but I don't think she'd necessarily be happy with a man that has as strong of a personality as she has. But then again, I don't find Ryan "boring". He and Jaclyn have probably made me laugh more than anyone else this season.

I also think Davina was already privy to Sean's revelation. She didn't seemed at all shocked. It also seemed like she was giving him an out not to go there but he did anyway.

• Love 2

Sorry haven't watched the episode so can not comment on that since FYI has now geoblocked me in Australia. So I will just leave Dr C's comments on Sean.

DrCilona
Posted 23 mins ago

In reply to jacq714:
See I don't understand why they put Sean on this show if he just had a...

Miscarriage was Feb 2014, MAFS marriage was 12/13/14.  Remember, grieving and loss is a very individual thing.  This was assessed carefully. We ultimately (obviously) felt this was not an exclusionary variable when it came to determining Sean as a good candidate for the experiment.  Many were considered that were even more recently out of a significant relationship.

• Love 2

I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this besides me. Jaclyn is always "on". It seems to me she's trying soooooo hard to reverse her original feelings about Ryan that she seems to be in overdrive. Everything he says elicits loud guffaws from her. She's all kissy-face with his mom, his niece. There's nothing wrong with that, but she hardly knows them. She's like a hurricane zooming through the room.

And then there's Ryan. This may be harsh, but this is how I see it: He's a boring dude. Does he even have a personality? He's slow talking, slow moving....together they are like a firecracker and a bucket of water. If you watch his face when she works the room at Christmas, it's like he's enraptured. Not by her, necessarily, but by the fact she takes charge of everything. He may have complained a little bit on their honeymoon that she was being too aggressive, but IMO he's perfectly content to sit back and let her run the show. That's would be fine for many women, but I believe Jaclyn wants, and needs, someone that can match her quick wit and vivaciousness with either some of the same qualities or have the ability to reign her in but yet have their own strong personality and doesn't fade into the woodwork.

Something about Jaclyn seems kinda rehearsed. Like she's so bent on coming accross as the cool girl with an awesome personality and goes overboard.

Ryan living in the basement bothers me. 

• Love 1

I also think Davina was already privy to Sean's revelation. She didn't seemed at all shocked. It also seemed like she was giving him an out not to go there but he did anyway.

Yea, she was all bent out of shape when he didn't comfort her properly when she was crying on the carriage ride, but this tidbit of info was perfectly fine. She's a wacko.

• Love 4

Sorry haven't watched the episode so can not comment on that since FYI has now geoblocked me in Australia. So I will just leave Dr C's comments on Sean.

Thanks for that - it just adds more cement to my opinion of Dr. C. It also increases my suspicions that the applicant pool had a much higher percentage of people with "issues" than one would find in the general dating population. 

• Love 4

Yea, she was all bent out of shape when he didn't comfort her properly when she was crying on the carriage ride, but this tidbit of info was perfectly fine. She's a wacko.

I'm pretty sure they talked about it off camera before Christmas. Probably during the honeymoon. 

Edited by moonxyz

Sean said that it took him a long time to get over it and that he was crushed. Now Davina most likely did ask many more questions about the ex who lost the baby but they didnt show us! 

I still cant believe NJ and Stony Brook...80 miles but on either side of NYC so it's not 80 easy miles, its a 2 1/2 hour trip.  The experts did not think this through. These 2 would never NEVER have met on match.com, where people tend to put in geographical limits in their searches. He can't move far from his niece and she can't move far from her work! Idiots running this show.

I also think that Ryan is a BSer and says platitudes for the camera. He says what he thinks people want to hear but deep down he is the asshole that he showed himself to be. You can't hide it with platitudes. Sorry Jessica, they screwed you with this asshole.

• Love 10

I also think that Ryan is a BSer and says platitudes for the camera. He says what he thinks people want to hear but deep down he is the asshole that he showed himself to be. You can't hide it with platitudes. Sorry Jessica, they screwed you with this asshole.

YES, my thoughts exactly!  How many damn times did he say "bumps in the road" last night?  I get the feeling that's the kind of thing he heard (from his grandparents probably) a million times without really comprehending what it means.  Dude, you said something stupid and offensive and Jessica reacted negatively to it.  Instead of apologizing, you got defensive and aggressive.  That's not a marital bump in the road, that's asshole behavior.

Also, total side note, but Jessica needs to lay off the mascara.  Those spider lashes are not a good look.

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure they talked about it off camera before Christmas. Probably during the honeyloon. 

I suspect this to be the case as well. Davina wrote somewhere, on facebook I think, that the reason she was so upset about Sean's lack of reaction to her crying is that by that time he'd cried in her presence several times and she'd always been very supportive. I must say, if a guy I'd just met cried several times during the first few days, I'd be seeing red flags all over the place too.

• Love 10

I found Jaclyn so rude last night when she kept laughing about the purse. It's like she couldn't stop. What was so freaking funny about it? When he was purchsing it, I thought it was for strictly a formal occasion, but if she thought it was old fashioned, she should have suppressed her emotions and said thank you. One Christmas my mother-in-law gave me some what I called old lady perfume. It was her favorite. I was 40 years younger than her and I actually hated the stuff. But I said thank you, put it in my drawer and eventually gave it to someone. That's how you accept a gift.

• Love 8

It took Sean a "long time" to get over the miscarriage?  A few months is a "long time"?  They would have had to be interviewing him very shortly after this happened, so how could they possibly know how "over it" he was?  The timing does not hold water!  And what about the relationship with this former woman?  What happened to that?  I don't care who you are that is total lunacy to get over something that big that fast.  And if you do, what does that say about you?  Not something very good.  And how can the so-called experts explain it away by saying that they were very careful with him?  These people are producer controlled quacks, I'm sorry.  This show just lost all credibility with me, not that it had very much to begin with.

I am beginning to think that a lot of what we are seeing since the marriage ceremony is scripted like any other reality show these days.  Which is why Davina can act as if it's no surprise to her about the relationship and miscarriage only months earlier, and acting like everything is going ahead so wonderfully for both of them.  Either she is that wacko to not see the red flags or they were told to act that way by the show.   I tend to think it's the latter.  The only couple that comes close to genuine are Ryan and Jaclyn.  They were all probably told to act like things were working out on camera even if they weren't as a part of their contract for the show.  Then if it doesn't work out in private, it's their business in private to be revealed on camera later.

Ryan R. not knowing Jaclyn's taste after only just meeting her for a few weeks is not a mark against him, IMO.  He's a nice, sincere guy who is a little clumsy about certain things but this isn't at all uncommon for guys, in my experience.  And I'm not good at picking out gifts for people I just met either.  It doesn't mean I'm clueless or not tuned in enough to them.  The leopard bag did not look "too old" for Jaclyn to me - I saw it as more of a small formal bag that you would take with you on New Year's eve or to a party, not for everyday.  There was absolutely nothing in that shop that said "old lady" to me.  I think the show made Ryan shop there, that's why he had to choose that fugly bag.  There wasn't much he could choose from.

And I don't see Ryan R. as "boring" either.  He's laid back but I think he's a pretty interesting guy and I think I'm pretty good at spotting a bore.  I think Ryan D. is more of a bore.   And Jessica, I don't see her with Ryan R. at all.  She is way too immature for him and not tuned into his cultural background.

I don't think Jessica has really gotten over Ryan's off camera remarks about her tattoo and piercing.  I think like I said above that she was told to say that she has "gotten over it" for the camera, but the smirky looks on her face tell another story.  I don't think she would be feeling it for him comment or no comment.  But that's OK, I don't think he's into her either, except on a sexual level.  I don't sense any real seriousness between them at all.

• Love 1

Jaclyn and Ryan R remind me of my aunt and her husband.  She's brash and aggressive and he's extremely laid back and lets her take the lead.  It seems like a weird match at first but it COMPLETELY works for them, and they're still madly in love 15+ years later.  So I have high hopes for this couple.  I do think Jaclyn was a little inappropriate with her laughter at the gift, but I almost wondered if there was more to that response, like maybe Ryan commented on the leopard print a lot during the honeymoon and she was laughing partially in recognition of that.  I dunno.  She seemed to really love the necklace he got her.

While watching the show, my husband commented, "These people have known each other for a couple weeks, why couldn't they have asked them for suggestions on what they might like for Christmas?"

• Love 1

I wonder if Ryan living in his moms basement is for their benefit or his? His mom doesn't seem like she needs assistance. Does he have custody of his niece?

I'm generally suspect of a man in his 30s still living at home.

• Love 2

I wonder if Ryan living in his moms basement is for their benefit or his? His mom doesn't seem like she needs assistance. Does he have custody of his niece?

I'm generally suspect of a man in his 30s still living at home.

He said in a talking head piece that "they" had custody of Kayla so I'm guessing his mom has official, legal custody but Ryan has been playing a serious role in her life the past three years.

And I'm going to give him a break for living at home with the Mom as she went through a terrible loss of her daughter to cancer and then 3 years later, having to raise a young child again and probably needed the emotional support that Ryan could give her.  I did something similar in my 20s when I lived at home with my parents to care for my terminally ill mother and help my father out.   

FWIW, he did tell someone on twitter last night that it was past time for him to fly the coop so at least Ryan was aware that he needed to be with Jaclyn in their own place.

• Love 11

I agree too. Its not like he's living in his childhood bedroom, he's got the basement fixed up like a little apartment. He's probably the only one of his family who isn't married so he's the logical one to be at home and help his mother out. Good for him, I say. It shows his kind heart and loyal nature. And his mother cracked me up completely with her "is it IMPORTED?" when she opened her gift from Jacklyn. I don't know why, but that just struck me so funny!

On the not funny side--sad clown. Oh my god. If I walked into a guy's house and saw a sad clown picture (painted by his grandma, no less!) I would lose it. I am a hell of a lot more creeped out by a sad clown painting than I am by a guy who is helping his mother raise his orphaned niece!

• Love 12

On the not funny side--sad clown. Oh my god. If I walked into a guy's house and saw a sad clown picture (painted by his grandma, no less!) I would lose it. I am a hell of a lot more creeped out by a sad clown painting than I am by a guy who is helping his mother raise his orphaned niece!

I was VERY disturbed by that picture too! I was like how do you look at that picture in seriousness and say "it's nice". I would have been hiding in a corner. I hate clowns. 

• Love 10

My sister still wears the shoes my mom, who died in 1992, wore. They are so dilapidated that a piece of cardboard has better protection, but because they were my moms, she won't part with them. That's how I saw that clown picture. That Ryan loves it because it was from his grandmother. It was actually very well drawn, at least to me.

• Love 3

On a side note about Ryan R living in the basement, a lot of "kids" on Long Island live with their parents for a bit after college. I didn't move out of my house until I got married last year and I was in my late 20s. How old is he, exactly? Because I don't know if I would necessarily mark it as a ding against him. Rent and cost of living here is really expensive.

• Love 1

On a side note about Ryan R living in the basement, a lot of "kids" on Long Island live with their parents for a bit after college. I didn't move out of my house until I got married last year and I was in my late 20s. How old is he, exactly? Because I don't know if I would necessarily mark it as a ding against him. Rent and cost of living here is really expensive.

Ryan is 28 so not that "old" to be still living at home, especially considering the circumstances surrounding his home life with his mom & Kayla.

Edited by CindyBee
  • Love 7