Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: The Do-Over / S01.E10: Pranks For Nothin' 2015.04.12

I am trying to decide if the dress Carol was wearing is a real dress or something she drew on to make it look like that lol, it kind of distracted me the whole first episode.....

It's a real dress, by Alice + Olivia (US$550): https://www.net-a-porter.com/product/503083/Alice_and_Olivia/love-is-in-the-air-jacquard-mini-dress

Now that Phil has a perm, it's easy to spot the old clips in the promos.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 3

I am trying to decide if the dress Carol was wearing is a real dress or something she drew on to make it look like that lol, it kind of distracted me the whole first episode.....

I adore everything that Carol wears.

I hope people are really watching this show, because I love it.

I've become afraid the joke is that everyone else bails on this show, they see who's left (moi) , and then I'm the last one watching....hence...."The Last Man on Earth".

Please no. I want another season at least.

Mary S was a great "hot older woman". LOL  She and January Jones talk in the same monotone, but hers is way sexier.

And....Will Forte and JJ are dating in RL??? Really???

• Love 3

I do believe I saw somewhere that it got picked up for a second season, if I find it I will post it in the media thread, and don't worry your not the last one watching lol.  I was surprised at the other two women showing up, didn't see that one coming.  I also felt so uncomfortable for Phil as he was trying to explain the skinny dipping run in

The first half was so odd.  I was like, so now this show has become an allegory for actual marriage.  Phil is married to a woman he can't stand and the entire show has become putting sexy temptations all around for Phil to frolic with.  Everyone feel empathy for the poor man trapped in his marriage and wish for him to get with the sexy women.  Phil is that ultimate man who wants to have his cake and eat it too.  I guess the second half was supposed to flip that.  It's like Phil starting over in an actual society and seeing how he fares this time.

January Jones also dated Jason Sudeikis before... 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I paused the divorce "papers": there was one paragraph where Phil agreed that all their personal and shared property would go to Carol.  I wonder if that leads to his using the paint cannon in the foyer as we saw in the preview.  (There were other bits where he admitted to being a horrible spouse and acknowledged that he would never get to be intimate with Carol again.)

Nice call back to Carol's "never end a sentence with a preposition" hangup.

• Love 4

I enjoyed these two episodes, especially for Kristen Schaal.  I really think if she submitted the latter episode she could get an Emmy nomination and/or win for supporting actress.  

The character of Carol just breaks my heart in regards to her situation w/ Phil.  I know she was always full aware of the reasons why Phil wanted to marry her, but she always put on a smile and just grinned and bear'd it.  When he actually said it to her and embarrassed her in front of everyone was just heart breaking.  Then we get the divorce papers scene, and Kristen just nailed it.

So how exactly did the two new females not see the fireworks display that led Todd to the group?  I mean it seemed like they had been living in Tucson for awhile.  I was also picking up vibes that they were a couple.

Melissa really needs to pull the stick out of her ass, b/c she seems like a real kill joy, and not just when it comes to being around Phil.

• Love 2

That perm is U-G-L-Y and it ain't got no alibi...I still am pining for the beard!

So, Phil gets a do-over and still screws it up due to his jackassery--a jackass is a jackass is a jackass--I love it! I'm sure he's gonna screw up this next "do-over" as well.

Should Phil pretending to be his long-lost twin brother really amuse me so much? Well it did. And, I was laughing at his "camouflage" spying too. Carol's dress was all sorts of awesome, especially for Carol.

I'm glad this show got another season, I really enjoy it.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2

The only thing that bothered me was Phil sleeping on the pool table at the bar.  There are millions of places to sleep -- why was he acting as if he had nowhere to go?  Unless it was some sort of self-inflicted punishment.  

Well, actually two things bothered me.  The second is why does Phil's sad tale always wind up getting him sympathy.  If I were any of the other characters I would say, "well, duh -- everyone we loved died too.  We are all in the same boat and yet we don't act like assholes."  

Edited by Seelouis
  • Love 1

That's what I took it as. There are other houses sitting in that cul-de-sac he could've taken, but it wasn't comfortable there at all. Plus, I'm sure he figured it would make those people feel more sorry for him when they did finally come to find him.

Forgot to mention: was that cow downstairs now?

• Love 1

I enjoyed these two episodes, especially for Kristen Schaal.  I really think if she submitted the latter episode she could get an Emmy nomination and/or win for supporting actress. 

The character of Carol just breaks my heart in regards to her situation w/ Phil.

Absolutely. I think Kristen/Carol is the star of this show. I love the character. She's neurotic, obsessive-compulsive, and plain-looking, and could be really annoying, but she ultimately comes off as likeable and sympathetic because of her optimism and energy. She's always trying to make the best of their weird situation. Phil is a jerk but to her their "marriage" meant something and it was sad and poignant to watch her realize that it wasn't going to work.

So how many more live humans and/or farm animals are going to show up in Tucson?

I think Kristen/Carol is the star of this show. I love the character. She's neurotic, obsessive-compulsive, and plain-looking, and could be really annoying, but she ultimately comes off as likeable and sympathetic because of her optimism and energy.

I found Carol extremely unlikeable and unsympathetic when she was slut shaming Gail and Erica.

• Love 13

I found Carol extremely unlikeable and unsympathetic when she was slut shaming Gail and Erica.

That was me too. I get it, Phil likes them more than her and she's hurt, but I was really disappointed in Carol in that scene. But, I also think it holds true to the show, people don't always act as they should, but as they do.

• Love 3

Nice call back to Carol's "never end a sentence with a preposition" hangup.

Loved it too. There have been a few times since the first one that she did this.

I enjoyed these two episodes, especially for Kristen Schaal.  I really think if she submitted the latter episode she could get an Emmy nomination and/or win for supporting actress.  

I agree. She was (is) really good -- funny, crazy, heartbreaking. Really good performance.

So how exactly did the two new females not see the fireworks display that led Todd to the group?  I mean it seemed like they had been living in Tucson for awhile.  I was also picking up vibes that they were a couple.

Re the fireworks -- They could have been inside a house. Re the couple -- I got the same vibe too. Also, I think it was in the bedroom scene that they giggled together about putting something in the past. I got the impression that they had been having sex.

So, Phil gets a do-over and still screws it up due to his jackassery--a jackass is a jackass is a jackass--I love it! I'm sure he's gonna screw up this next "do-over" as well.

Or another doodoo-over.

The only thing that bothered me was Phil sleeping on the pool table at the bar.  There are millions of places to sleep -- why was he acting as if he had nowhere to go?  Unless it was some sort of self-inflicted punishment.  

Maybe. Also, all his ball friends were there.

I was glad to see Phil start to change in the second ep. He's been so awful that it'll be a relief to see him behave differently. I hope he does.

I can't believe Carol painted on the Monet and the Van Gogh. I don't even care about art but I know you don't do that.

The way God keeps fucking with Phil, I can't help but wonder if this is an Owl Creek Bridge situation and everything we've seen since the pilot is a hallucination running through Phil's head in the split second before his truck crashes into that boulder.

• Love 3

So how many more live humans and/or farm animals are going to show up in Tucson?

This is not a spoiler because I'm purely spitballing here. Coming soon: Very handsome young man. Many of the survivors get excited, Phil is bummed. New guy is revealed to be gay. Some disappointment by some of the others and by new guy because from his standpoint he is the "Last Man on Earth" however Phil is psyched. Because he gets a potential guy buddy who is neither:  a)Competition for the ladies or b) A ball.

Abso-frigginlutely. However it did match with her sort of judge-y sexual morality that she's been displaying all along.

Edited by Monty9
  • Love 1

Phil just cracked me up!! Yes I thought he was a jerk, but he made me laugh. But then he felt bad and then I felt bad for him. Why did he dye his hair and give himself a perm? The perm looks awful! Get rid of the perm Phil! :) So he tells his ball buddies, well, that's my ex wife! ROFL! I can't believe they get divorced and right away they kiss! Hahahha! And the way he gave everyone the silent treatment, even the cow! ROFL! The cow was even giving him the silent treatment and looked away! Hahahahaha!  My twin brother Phil! It was just a prank! ROFL! Man I love this show!  :) So glad it got a second season.

• Love 1

I really liked these two episodes--it was back to form (I had not been crazy about the last one we saw, two weeks ago).

So how exactly did the two new females not see the fireworks display that led Todd to the group?  I mean it seemed like they had been living in Tucson for awhile.  I was also picking up vibes that they were a couple.

Melissa really needs to pull the stick out of her ass, b/c she seems like a real kill joy, and not just when it comes to being around Phil.

As someone else said about the fireworks, they could have just been inside, or sleeping.

Agree about Melissa.

Well, actually two things bothered me.  The second is why does Phil's sad tale always wind up getting him sympathy.  If I were any of the other characters I would say, "well, duh -- everyone we loved died too.  We are all in the same boat and yet we don't act like assholes."  

I agree about sleeping on the pool table.  But I will fully admit to having sympathy for Phil.  I guess I am just a bad, bad man, because I totally wanted him to get away with his double-life, skinny-dipping shenanigans.  When the other car came down the road, I was cringing so bad (almost literally had to peek between my fingers covering my eyes like it was a horror movie, LOL) but also laughing my ass off.

I am so much on Team Phil that I was plotting out a whole plan for him:

"Okay, there are obviously other people out there.  So Phil needs to go back and change all those other billboards.  Maybe make it 'Alive in San Francisco', and give a specific address.  But then he should actually live in Monterey or Santa Cruz.  At the SF address on the billboards, leave instructions to meet him at the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset on the first day of the month (and if people aren't quite sure what day it is, they can just keep trying every day at sunset).  Then Phil can meet people there, suss them out, and decide whether to invite them down to where he really lives, or to a decoy spot where he claims to live in San Fran.  If he meets multiple foxy ladies, he can stash them at different spots around the Bay Area, as long as they are far enough apart not to run into each other (the fatal flaw in Tucson)."

Am I diabolical?  Yes.  Yes, I am.  :)

Re the couple -- I got the same vibe too. Also, I think it was in the bedroom scene that they giggled together about putting something in the past. I got the impression that they had been having sex.

Right, which gave Phil a boner that he covered with a throw pillow, LOL.

ETA: I'm amused by the generic episode descriptions.  Is this reflective of a conscious attempt to be humorous, I wonder, or is someone at FOX just phoning it in?

Phil's life in Tucson continues.
Edited by SlackerInc
  • Love 2

I can't believe Carol painted on the Monet and the Van Gogh. I don't even care about art but I know you don't do that.

But it was a cute little white poodle (or maybe a Maltese)!!!! Awwww....

January Jones also dated Jason Sudeikis before... 

No idea who that is....was he also a co-star of JJ?

I love her. Never heard of her before this, so no baggage. Loved the part where she mentioned she was a notary in her former life and even had a notary joke. Did anyone see the official stamp on the divorce papers?

I hope a hot guy with a great personality shows up, and he goes crazy for Carol.

When Phil started giving Melissa the silent treatment, I was thinking "Buddy, she can out-silent you and probably out-stare you to the end of time."

Edited by drafan
  • Love 2
ETA: I'm amused by the generic episode descriptions.  Is this reflective of a conscious attempt to be humorous, I wonder, or is someone at FOX just phoning it in?

Perhaps they felt vague episode descriptions should follow January Jones.  (If you watch Mad Men, that was a Mad Men joke.  No one does vague episode descriptions quite like that show. Someone arrives.  Someone leaves.  Someone drops something (and it'll probably be a paperclip.) 0

• Love 1

I love her. Never heard of her before this, so no baggage.

drafan, please check Kristen out on the show Bob's Burgers, she plays Louise, the youngest of the Belcher children.  You will recognize her voice right away.  I would also suggest you watch her interviews on Conan that are out there on YouTube, as well as other interviews she has done on late night television, you will fall in love and want her to be your new friend.  She is so damn funny and adorable.

• Love 1

And she was a Daily Show correspondent.

I never thought Phil was very good looking until this ep; the scruff beard looks really good. As does the curly hair; I guess I prefer it to the flop-hang style he had. Did Phil actually perm his hair? I missed a few minutes.

As for the two women not hearing/seeing the fireworks, maybe they weren't in Tucson yet. The fireworks happened as Todd arrived and I assume that's been a couple of weeks ago.

I'd like to see another animal arrive, something random and annoying, like a skunk or a parrot that won't shut up.

• Love 3

As for the two women not hearing/seeing the fireworks, maybe they weren't in Tucson yet. The fireworks happened as Todd arrived and I assume that's been a couple of weeks ago.

Do we have a timeframe as to how many weeks it has been since Phil met Carol, then Melissa, then Todd and so on...  I really think it has only been a matter of a few days to maybe a week or so.

I'd like to see another animal arrive, something random and annoying, like a skunk or a parrot that won't shut up.

Can you just imagine what the parrot would say?

Parrot: Squawk! Phil is horny. Phil is horny. Squawk!

ROFL!

I think it's been more than a few days.

Since Todd showed up, the group said that Phil's poop pool was too smelly and he eventually cleaned it up. That would have taken a lot of time. Phil still spent time talking to his ball buddies and spying on Todd and Melissa and going about life, eating and sleeping.

I doubt the show will give us the time frame, since that inserts reality into this fantasy-comedy. We just have to assume.

Edited by Shermie
  • Love 2

I got the impression the sexually ambivalent duo had been in town for some time...probably before Carol showed up. I think that's part of the joke. These people where always here, Phil just never ran into them before. I can buy they didn't see the fireworks because they were busy doing other...um...shall we say...more engaging and distracting things at the time.

Not that the actual details matter that much to me, but now you guys got me thinking about it, so...

Didn't Phil and Carol meet and get married in the span of a week? I thought there was some mention about how love was happening crazy-fast in that cul-de-sac? It seemed like Melissa showed up a day or two after Phil and Carol got married because there was their "honeymoon" period.  And, I thought Melissa said she'd been driving around Tucson for weeks, which would put her in town before, or at least at the same time as, Carol, right? And, it seemed like Todd showed up a couple days after Melissa, but again it sounded like he'd been around for a while before he spotted the fireworks. Last week's episodes seemed like only spanning a couple days...so I'm guessing it's been just over two weeks since we met Carol?

Which now makes me giggle even more at Carol planting and harvesting tomatoes in a couple days.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

I know she was always full aware of the reasons why Phil wanted to marry her, but she always put on a smile and just grinned and bear'd it.

But she's the one who forced him into it. She wasn't grinning and bearing it, she was trying to force him into the mold she had for what they ought to be.

• Love 2

I think Carol has been shown to be odd enough that a last man on Earth scenario might have been her only opportunity for a passing shot at wedded bliss.  She takes quirky up to 11 and then way past that.  She's got this sweet and nurturing side to her, but that's offset by a very narrow, judgmental, rigid set of acceptable behaviors that seem to cause most people to very, very slowly back away from her without making any sudden movements.

It was unnecessarily hurtful of Phil to publicly remind Carol that their marriage was a really dumb idea that Phil should have simply refused.  In the first few eps, I could chalk up Carol's behavior to craving the rules of society, but now I think Carol's just one of those really weird people you wouldn't acknowledge after the first bizarre encounter you had with her.  Just like Phil's assholiness does not seem to have been majorly impacted by almost the entire Earth's population dying out, neither has Carol's social awkwardness.  I imagine a world full of people was very difficult for Carol to navigate because she's so off-putting and odd. 

• Love 2

I think it's been more than a few days.

Since Todd showed up, the group said that Phil's poop pool was too smelly and he eventually cleaned it up. That would have taken a lot of time. Phil still spent time talking to his ball buddies and spying on Todd and Melissa and going about life, eating and sleeping.

I doubt the show will give us the time frame, since that inserts reality into this fantasy-comedy. We just have to assume.

I think Phil was alone for quite a long time - years?  I dont remember how long he lived there alone but I remember when he was saying he forgot how to talk to people because it was so long.

A mysterious virus struck in 2018, and Phil spent two years looking for other survivors. So it's now 2020, but I have no idea how much time has passed since Phil met Carol. The writers play fast & loose with the timeline.

• Love 1

I never thought Phil was very good looking until this ep; the scruff beard looks really good. As does the curly hair; I guess I prefer it to the flop-hang style he had. 

I too thought it was a good look for him!  My feathers were actually feeling a little ruffled from all the "yuck" posts about his perm, as I have naturally curly hair similar to that.

And, it seemed like Todd showed up a couple days after Melissa, but again it sounded like he'd been around for a while before he spotted the fireworks. 

On your other speculation, I can't really say either way, but this one I do disagree with.  We were shown a series of shots of Todd (who was shot from ambiguous angles to make him look like some kind of badass) making his way from somewhere far away (Miami, maybe?) to Tucson, and arriving in town just in time for the fireworks.  He didn't have anywhere he was already living or anything.

Every time I think this show is sneaking up on being a bit funny, they quickly retreat into excruciatingly bad writing.  And then they had those last two scenes, and they were approaching ... watchable.  But judging by the previews for next time, back to shite.  

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 1

Once again this show leaves me with what I know is a pointless frustration: Carol in all her rule-following glory would find it appropriate to notarize her own document? Why does this keep happening on sitcoms?

Separately, man, for while I was intrigued by the story, the situation, in general. But now Phil is really getting to me. It's not that he's unlikeable or an ass. Plenty of ass characters can be interesting to watch. My problem is currently this: he keeps doing things that he cannot undo. He's doing things that I deem very close to unforgiveable. He even admitted finally, he's a liar, he's a bad person, and OK he tried to turn it around. But seriously, every time he lied so conspicuously, every time he dug himself a hole, it made me cringe. Because you know it will come to light (and did) and it's very very very difficult for me to believe any of these people would forgive him or be able to trust him or not otherwise write him off. How do you get around that? OK there are very few people, but with six people on the planet, there's actually enough of them that if they just plain do not like him at all, they can actually choose to avoid him. Let's say they all still pretty much feel this is the end of the world. People are going to die out. Who knows how long they'll last. Why would they bother with this guy? But since he's the creator/titular character, we know he's not going away. How do they deal with that? In a way that does not annoy the crap out of me.

On the other hand, clearly at this point, all of these people need to turn their brains around from "well, I guess we're it" to "OMG EVERYONE SAW THE SIGNS AND THEY'RE COMING!" I mean, Todd's the only one I can see really still feeling some affection for Phil. He really really viewed Phil's putting those signs out there as saving him, and even with all his assholery, still gives Phil credit for that. It's like, he wants Phil to live up to the hero he could've been as the really smart guy who thought to leave a trail for people to find each other. Unfortunately, he wasn't smart enough to be more specific, and already went nuts in the interim. But I think the Todd/Phil relationship had potential to still be interesting.

I actually think this show is at its best when it does go really dark, despite being a comedy. They chose a dark situation. I want it to be grounded in that reality even if they are going to laughs. If it just turns into lather-rinse-repeat slapstick/misunderstanding/Phil lies and everyone hates him for it, I'm going to get bored really fast. They do have a threat of extinction over them, and I don't think I need that to be handwavey glossed over to find this show funny. I want them to cleverly find the funny in the tragic. Not just turn the tragic into gimmick.

Carol and Phil were starting to relax and get along before Melissa showed up and Phil began to realize he might have had other options. Since then, he's been such an incredibly horrible person that I think ultimately Carol will be grateful to have dissolved the union. It's too bad, though, that the show thought it would be more fun to devote half a season to watching Phil act horrible and alienate everyone, instead of showing a random assortment of people trying to get along and form a new life in their very strange circumstances. It's like they're squandering the premise to pursue a cliche, instead of using it to have adventures. Why???????

• Love 1

The only "incredibly horrible" thing Phil almost did was to strand Todd out in the desert--but he couldn't bring himself to actually do it.  Otherwise, that seems like hyperbole to me.  I haven't seen him be violent toward anyone.  He gets in trouble because he is horny and not monogamous, but he doesn't seem to be the kind of d-bag who talks misogynistic smack about women behind their backs.

Well he lies.  A lot. Not just a little bit.  Not little white lies.  Some pretty big lies.  Including lies which, in a world where people seem to be important, he was angling to make sure that the two women and the rest of the gang didn't know the other group existed. 

• Love 2

On your other speculation, I can't really say either way, but this one I do disagree with.  We were shown a series of shots of Todd (who was shot from ambiguous angles to make him look like some kind of badass) making his way from somewhere far away (Miami, maybe?) to Tucson, and arriving in town just in time for the fireworks.  He didn't have anywhere he was already living or anything.

But Todd said he was on his way out of town when he saw the fireworks. That's the joke of the situation, if Phil hadn't been so intent on winning Melissa over with a bunch of cheesy romantic overtures she didn't care about anyway, Todd would've never shown up at all. I don't think he'd been there for weeks, but I find it hard to believe he drove all the way to Tucson only to leave without looking around a bit first.

• Love 1

And Phil lies with the specific intent of trying to get people to sleep with him.  Lying to Melissa about Carol.  Lying to the two new women about everything else.  There is only one reason for those lies - sex.

Now, picture yourself being lied to with the distinct purpose of someone trying to sleep with you because they are very afraid, incredibly afraid that if you knew the truth you wouldn't go through with it. 

Whether people think this is just hilarious or casually bad or very bad is whatever, that's subjective.  But that's what happened.  And that's why the characters are turning on him now. 

Now, the other part of it is lying to Carol, marrying Carol but also trying his damndest to cheat on her too.  

• Love 4