Type keyword(s) to search

The DC Extended Universe: To Thanagar and Beyond!

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

(edited)

It's getting worse...

Parents of 18-Year-Old Activist Accuse Ezra Miller of Grooming Daughter with 'Cult-Like' Behavior
By Benjamin VanHoose     June 08, 2022
https://people.com/movies/ezra-miller-accused-by-parents-of-18-year-old-activist-who-say-actor-groomed-child/ 

Ezra Miller is being accused of grooming a now-18-year-old activist from the age of 12, as the parents seek court intervention.

Edited by tv echo
  • Sad 1
On 6/10/2022 at 1:44 PM, tv echo said:

It's getting worse...

Parents of 18-Year-Old Activist Accuse Ezra Miller of Grooming Daughter with 'Cult-Like' Behavior
By Benjamin VanHoose     June 08, 2022
https://people.com/movies/ezra-miller-accused-by-parents-of-18-year-old-activist-who-say-actor-groomed-child/ 

On 6/11/2022 at 2:04 PM, ShadowHunter said:

Now they can't locate Ezra to serve him with court papers. 

On 6/11/2022 at 9:08 PM, Bruinsfan said:

I'm just crossing my fingers no innocent bystanders get hurt in the crossfire during the police standoff he seems to be barrelling toward at full speed.

I wonder what this means for the Flash movie. Was Miller just very good at hiding all this, or did WB/DC not care. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I wonder what this means for the Flash movie. Was Miller just very good at hiding all this, or did WB/DC not care. 

In my observation, a lot of people choose to ignore the flaws of their friends and/or moneymakers, until such time as it becomes impossible to hide. Then they say, 'Oh, we had no idea!' Yeah, bullshit. So I strongly suspect the second option.

And that's assuming they didn't aid the misbehaviour in the first place.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BetterButter said:

At first glance this sounds like an April Fool's prank (probably fitting for a Joker movie, though...), but whether it's 100% real or not, I find the timing suspect. To me, it seems aimed to deflect from the worsening situation with Ezra Miller. I mean, there's no reason to spill these details so early when even that article itself says that Phoenix isn't even signed on yet.

(Also I question whether DC/WB really want to sour their relationship with Margot Robbie with another live-action version of Harley.)

On 6/12/2022 at 10:38 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm not sure WB or anyone could have predicted Miller's alarming downward spiral; though I'm sure they were aware of some warning signs.

As for the movie, it seems kinda in the 'too big to fail' category, so it'll have to be released to make back some of the hundreds of millions that went into making it. They can't recast and refilm; with Miller playing the lead role, I don't think there's much they can do to lessen his role/screentime.

17 hours ago, Trini said:

As for the movie, it seems kinda in the 'too big to fail' category, so it'll have to be released to make back some of the hundreds of millions that went into making it. They can't recast and refilm; with Miller playing the lead role, I don't think there's much they can do to lessen his role/screentime.

Well, any fans who were inclined to be pissed about how much Bat-Keaton was going to be pushed in a Flash movie then they're probably not going to be happy with the likely marketing strategy now that Miller has made himself a persona non grata. 

(edited)

Birds of Prey Star Jurnee Smollett Opens Up About Black Canary's Exciting Solo Project
By CHARLIE RIDGELY - June 14, 2022 
https://comicbook.com/dc/news/black-canary-jurnee-smollett-movie-return-exciting-birds-of-prey-dc/ 

ComicBook.com caught up with Smollett ahead of her new movie, Spiderhead, which debuts on Netflix on June 17th. During the interview (which you can watch above), we asked Smollett about taking on the mantle of Black Canary once again.

"I'm just so incredibly excited about a number of things that I can't talk about," Smollett told us. "I mean, I'm excited, that's what I can say. I'm excited about getting to explore a lot... I feel like we've only touched the surface with Black Canary. And she's one of the dopest martial artists in the DC Universe. That is something that is a real challenge in my head that I'm just excited at the possibility of being able to explore deeper and further and wider and greater."

Smollett wasn't allowed to say much of anything specific about the Black Canary project, but she did take a moment to sing the praises of her collaborator. Playing Injustice together often, Smollett and Green have a shared love for Black Canary, and it's clear they're brewing up something unique with this next film.

The actress did go as far as to hint at the kind of wild ideas Green has for the character in the upcoming story. When Green came up, Smollett simply smiled and said, "Here's the thing. Her imagination is BIG!"

Edited by tv echo
On 6/14/2022 at 2:06 AM, Trini said:

At first glance this sounds like an April Fool's prank (probably fitting for a Joker movie, though...), but whether it's 100% real or not, I find the timing suspect. To me, it seems aimed to deflect from the worsening situation with Ezra Miller. I mean, there's no reason to spill these details so early when even that article itself says that Phoenix isn't even signed on yet.

(Also I question whether DC/WB really want to sour their relationship with Margot Robbie with another live-action version of Harley.)

I'm not sure WB or anyone could have predicted Miller's alarming downward spiral; though I'm sure they were aware of some warning signs.

I agree WB may be trying to distract people with the Joker 2 news. Yeah WB was aware he filmed The Flash movie after the video went viral of him chocking the female. They should have cut ties with him after that and now they are stuck. If the court is still waiting to serve him with papers all he is doing is dragging this out. WB can only distract people for so long. Sadly Ezra will probably be back in the spotlight again.

• Love 1

I was right Ezra is back in the spotlight again. He posted on his Instagram jokes about the cops not being able to find him but since has deleted the account. Now apparently another family got a restraining order against him because he was inappropriate with the couples 12 year old daughter. So again he was being weird with a minor.  I see a pattern here.

37 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

I was right Ezra is back in the spotlight again. He posted on his Instagram jokes about the cops not being able to find him but since has deleted the account. Now apparently another family got a restraining order against him because he was inappropriate with the couples 12 year old daughter. So again he was being weird with a minor.  I see a pattern here.

This is being discussed in the 'Predators in entertainment topic, BTW.

(edited)

Will There Be a DC FanDome in 2022?
By JENNA ANDERSON - June 29, 2022 
https://comicbook.com/dc/news/dc-fandome-2022-warner-bros-discovery-comic-con/ 

... FanDome then returned a second time in October of 2021 and tripled its audience numbers, leaving some fans to wonder if the event could become an annual occasion for the publisher and its wider umbrella of new properties. At the moment, a 2022 FanDome has yet to be announced, and with DC's newly-minted parent company of Warner Bros. Discovery recently announcing their plans to bring DC-related properties to July's in-person San Diego Comic-Con, the question remains — will we get a DC FanDome this year at all?

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Comic-Con 2022 Panel Schedule For Film & TV: Saturday Serves Up ‘Black Adam’, ‘Shazam! Fury Of The Gods’, ‘House Of The Dragon’, MCU & More
By Anthony D'Alessandro, Patrick Hipes   July 9, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/07/comic-con-2022-scheduled-film-tv-panels-1235059088/ 

THURSDAY, JULY 21
11 a.m. – 8th Musical Anatomy of a Superhero: Film & TV Composer panel
Panelists: Composers Ludwig Göransson (Black Panther: Wakanda Forever), Natalie Holt (Batgirl, Loki), Nami Melumad (Thor: Love and Thunder), Christophe Beck (Shazam! Fury of the Gods, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania) ,Amie Doherty (She-Hulk: Attorney at Law), and moderator Michael Giacchino (The Batman, Thor: Love and Thunder, Spiderman: No Way Home)
FRIDAY, JULY 22
6:30 p.m. – World Premiere of Green Lantern: Beware My Power, screening and Q&A
Panelists: Pic’s stars Aldis Hodge (Black Adam, One Night in Miami, City on a Hill) as Green Lantern John Stewart, Jimmi Simpson (Westworld, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Pachinko) as Green Arrow, Jamie Gray Hyder (Law & Order: SVU, True Blood) as Hawkgirl, and Brian Bloom (The A-Team, Mass Effect) as Adam Strange. Also appearing are supervising producer Butch Lukic (Batman: The Long Halloween), director Jeff Wamester (Justice Society: World War II), and screenwriters John Semper (Static Shock, Fraggle Rock) and Ernie Altbacker (Justice League Dark: Apokolips War). Ballroom 20.
SATURDAY, JULY 23
10:15 a.m. – Warner Bros. theatrical session with Black Adam and Shazam: Fury of the Gods.
Panelists: Star Dwayne Johnson, Black Adam director Jaume Collet-Serra, Zachary Levi and more. New Line Cinema. Hall H.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Batgirl Director Teases DC Multiverse Connections (Exclusive)
By Richard Nebens   July 18, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/batgirl-movie-dc-multiverse-connections-exclusive 

In an exclusive interview with The Direct's Richard Nebens, Batgirl directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah teased how the DC Multiverse will make its presence felt in their upcoming movie.

El Arbi compared the duo's bosses at Warner Bros. to Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige, who often replied with, "Don't worry about it" when they asked him about ties to other major projects for Ms. Marvel.
"Well you know, we’d sort of give the same answer, because we would also ask, 'Oh, you have J.K. Simmons from the Snyderverse and we got Michael Keaton from the Burton-verse. What’s the situation there?’ And they would say, ‘Don’t worry about it. We got a plan.’ They never really explained that aspect to us, but I guess you’re gonna have to see the other movies to understand what happens, why the reason is that we ended up in sort of a spaghetti of Multiverses in that aspect. It’s gonna be a delicious spaghetti, I’m sure of that.”

Edited by tv echo

Keanu comes off way too morose and stiff for me to see him as Batman, but if there can be a Reeves/Pattinson version on film then I guess there's room for whatever kind of interpretation Keanu would do.

1 hour ago, Tenshinhan said:

Keanu comes off way too morose and stiff for me to see him as Batman, but if there can be a Reeves/Pattinson version on film then I guess there's room for whatever kind of interpretation Keanu would do.

I agree with stiff. But when he's given a chance to show life, I don't see him as morose. Anyway, Bruce Wayne is often portrayed as well-meaning, but a bit dim, and if that isn't Keanu I don't know what is. As for when he puts on the cowl, we already know he's a great action star. It's perfect all round.

I don't think I'm ready to buy Keanu Reeves as the world's greatest detective. I already spent about 2/3 of Batman v. Superman shouting "No, dumbass, you've drawn exactly the opposite of the right conclusion!" at Ben Affleck.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)

DC Exec Shares Disappointing News for SnyderVerse Fans
By Russ Milheim   July 22, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/dc-snyderverse-news 

At San Diego Comic-Con 2022, as recorded by Twitter user @EarthOneCarlos, during a panel titled 'Spotlight Panel on Jim Lee', the famous DC Executive was asked if he was currently working on anything from the Synderverse continuity and if he'd be willing to if he weren't already.

Lee noted that "there's no plan for additional work on that material," but added how he felt that Zack Snyder's Justice League "was a really satisfying story told:"

"You know what's amazing? Is that we spent two years in lockdown and here we are back at a convention, celebrating the art form; feeling good. I work on the projects that are in development, and so I think [Zack Snyder's Justice League] was Zack's vision realized and it was a really satisfying story told, but there's no plan for additional work on that material. So, I was happy to help contribute to the pitch for the other stuff, and it was kind of fun to actually see that stuff get out there cause I did that stuff years ago... I actually thought it had been erased, but they kept it in storage."

Also, another DC panel at SDCC...
Edited by tv echo

I heard that Dwayne Johnson got booed by the audience when his answer to a question implied that recasting Superman was a possibility. Which was frankly shocking to me, and probably something he hasn't encountered since his days of playing a heel in wrestling. Warner Bros, you might want to take notice when a crowd turns on The Rock over your thumb-twiddling...

• Useful 2

I think it’s telling that pretty much all the fans think Henry Cavill got a raw deal from WB- and that they want him to get another shot at playing Superman.  The hilarious part is that, charitably, half of them are still holding out hope for some continuation of the Snyderverse - while the rest want to see him play a Superman free from Snyder’s “sad god” BS.  So regardless of which way they go, half the fans who want him back are going to feel let down  - which is why WB hit the breaks on Superman in the first place.

(edited)

Hollywood Veteran Alan Horn Joins Warner Bros. Discovery as Senior Adviser (Exclusive)
Benjamin Lindsay | July 28, 2022
https://www.thewrap.com/hollywood-veteran-alan-horn-joins-warner-bros-discovery-as-senior-advisor-exclusive/ 

Former Disney CCO and veteran entertainment industry executive Alan Horn is joining Warner Bros. Discovery as a senior adviser, TheWrap has learned exclusively.
In this new consultant role, Horn is expected to help steer Warner Bros. Discovery through its merger transition, particularly as it relates to Warner Bros. Pictures with freshly instated studio heads Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy, who replaced Toby Emmerich earlier this year.

‘Shazam! Fury of the Gods’ Director on the Dragon, Villains, and What He Learned From Test Screenings
BY STEVE WEINTRAUB   JULY 28, 2022
https://collider.com/shazam-2-director-interview-dragon-monsters-fury-of-the-gods-sdcc/ 

... Obviously, Shazam and Black Adam are on a collision course, if you will. At some point, they're going to meet up. How much is that a conversation or a part of to discuss where is this ultimately going? There's no way it's going to stop with Shazam 2.
SANDBERG: There hasn't really been a conversation about that. I know, at the moment, Black Adam is sort of its thing and Shazam is its thing. Then we'll see where it all goes in the future, but I haven't really been a part of any conversations like that.

Edited by tv echo

Unbelievable.  Shifting to HBO max instead of the theaters is one thing, but to bury it entirely?  That's how you deal with failed pilots, not movies with 70 million dollar budgets.  I mean, is this on par with the Fantastic Four movie?

Edited by cambridgeguy
  • Love 3

Obviously, I haven't seen it, but I doubt it was so bad they couldn't put it on streaming. I feel there has to be other factors at play.

Well, now there's hope that that Flash movie is cancelled, if they're now shelving multi-million dollar films because of 'bad vibes'....

• Love 2

I can't say I'm surprised by this.  Warner never really had their shit together when it came to the DCEU, and given the studio changes and strategy shifts something was bound to get lost in the shuffle.

I think it will still get released someplace eventually though, just not anytime soon unless they reverse their decision.

I heard it had a very positive test screening. I think this is one situation where the truth is being reported - it's the money. The same reason they scrapped THE WONDER TWINS and the Scooby Doo animated film. Discovery is in charge and they are really examining how they spend. I have a friend who does freelance work with WB and in April he was telling me how tight Discovery was being. It is a different culture at WB now.

I find it outrageous to spend so much on a film and not do anything with it. Let's say post-production and marketing adds another 20 million (and that's a low estimate), so what - you have a 100 million dollar film that you can potentially make a profit on or you take a loss, but at least make that gamble. Just burning 80 million dollars is stupid.

Fingers crossed for Blue Beetle.

I think they feel more bullish on THE FLASH. At the very least if they don't want to put it in theaters, they could fob it off to HBO Max. But I would be very surprised if they don't do anything with it. I'm sure post on THE FLASH has been done for a while now. And if WB wants to venture into the multiverse theatrically, they need THE FLASH as the gateway.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, AngieBee1 said:

I think they feel more bullish on THE FLASH. At the very least if they don't want to put it in theaters, they could fob it off to HBO Max. But I would be very surprised if they don't do anything with it. I'm sure post on THE FLASH has been done for a while now. And if WB wants to venture into the multiverse theatrically, they need THE FLASH as the gateway.

I've seen speculation that Batgirl was cancelled because of it's connection to The Flash. Time will tell, but the new multiverse may be DOA. Both films were essentially completed.

Edited by Trini
2 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

I heard it had a very positive test screening. I think this is one situation where the truth is being reported - it's the money. The same reason they scrapped THE WONDER TWINS and the Scooby Doo animated film. Discovery is in charge and they are really examining how they spend. I have a friend who does freelance work with WB and in April he was telling me how tight Discovery was being. It is a different culture at WB now.

I find it outrageous to spend so much on a film and not do anything with it. Let's say post-production and marketing adds another 20 million (and that's a low estimate), so what - you have a 100 million dollar film that you can potentially make a profit on or you take a loss, but at least make that gamble. Just burning 80 million dollars is stupid.

Fingers crossed for Blue Beetle.

The fact that they are shelving a $90 million movie makes me wonder if this is in part fallout the Black Widow and Matrix lawsuits. If they think it will flop in theaters and that they will be sued over going straight to streaming shelving it entirely could make sense from a purely financial standpoint. 

10 minutes ago, Dani said:

The fact that they are shelving a $90 million movie makes me wonder if this is in part fallout the Black Widow and Matrix lawsuits. If they think it will flop in theaters and that they will be sued over going straight to streaming shelving it entirely could make sense from a purely financial standpoint. 

Pretty sure Batgirl was always supposed to be on streaming.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

The post-production hadn't finished and it got shelved. Now I'm expecting Black Canary, Green Lantern, The Batman tie in series, Blue Beetle, Justice League Dark, and all the other greenlit projects to be cancelled as well. Meanwhile they'll probably still release The Flash next year and hope everyone forgets Ezra Miller's behavior. We need someone from the DC side to spill the beans.

• Sad 2
  • Applause 5
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

The post-production hadn't finished and it got shelved. Now I'm expecting Black Canary, Green Lantern, The Batman tie in series, Blue Beetle, Justice League Dark, and all the other greenlit projects to be cancelled as well. Meanwhile they'll probably still release The Flash next year and hope everyone forgets Ezra Miller's behavior. We need someone from the DC side to spill the beans.

Ezra Miller is definitely being brought up. Many outraged that Ezra is still in the role and The Flash movie is still on. I guess Batgirl should have chocked a guy in a video the movie would still be on. Warner Brothers and Discovery are a mess.

2 hours ago, Trini said:

I've seen speculation that Batgirl was cancelled because of it's connection to The Flash. Time will tell, but the new multiverse may be DOA. Both films were essentially completed.

Wasn't Michael Keaton supposed to appear in Batgirl? He was reportedly cut out of Aquaman 2 recently and replaced with Ben Affleck, so I do wonder if there's actually something else going on.  Whether it's a Flash connection or not.

3 hours ago, Trini said:

Pretty sure Batgirl was always supposed to be on streaming.

You’re right. I completely forgot that. It really makes no sense. Looks like they are just scrapping most of the plans. 

Scrapping Batgirl but moving forward with Flash is really not a good look. It’s frustrating to watch all the potential of a DC movie universe get flushed down the drain over and over again. 

Batgirl killed for a tax write-off and Zaslav's commitment to theatrical releases according to Variety.

... Releasing the movie on HBO Max would seem to be the most obvious solution. Instead, the company has shelved “Batgirl” — along with the “Scoob!” sequel — and several sources say it will almost certainly take a tax write-down on both films, seen internally as the most financially sound way to recoup the costs (at least, on an accountant’s ledger). It could justify that by chalking it up to a post-merger change of strategy.

Doing so, however, would mean that Warner Bros. cannot monetize either movie — no HBO Max debut, no sale to another studio.

--

3 hours ago, Dani said:

... Scrapping Batgirl but moving forward with Flash is really not a good look. ...

If that cursed movie still gets released after all this, no tax write off is going to save them from all the bad press. 😡

Edited by Trini
  • Applause 5