Type keyword(s) to search

The DC Extended Universe: To Thanagar and Beyond!

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Looks like WB will try to say the problem is Jenkins' ability as a screenwriter. 

https://deadline.com/2022/12/wonder-woman-3-patty-jenkins-gal-gadot-james-gunn-peter-safran-1235192829/

In the first big bold move by the new heads of DC, James Gunn and Peter Safran, Deadline has confirmed that they’ve put the kibosh on Patty Jenkins’ treatment for Wonder Woman 3. The filmmaker was expected to hand in a screenplay, we understand, and instead the new bosses got pieces of paper that just weren’t suitable.

17 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Did Gunn want a Clean Slate? 

So I lost Cavill as Geralt for NOTHING?! 🤬

I can't completely blame WB for Cavill leaving The Witcher. It seems he didn't like the direction that show was going and rumors are he didn't care for S2 etc.  Superman may have been another factor but he honestly seemed more of a fan of The Witcher cannon unlike the writers.

Everything else I blame DC/WB for. I can't believe The Flash is still going but everything else is all over the place. 

Black Adam relied way too much on The Rock and nothing else. I think that was a mistake and he didn't save the DC like he was acting like he was going to do. 

• Like 1

Deadline covers James Gunn’s response, and gives more details on the WW3 situation

….we’re hearing that Jenkins was given the chance to take another stab at a Wonder Woman 3 treatment after receiving notes from all Warner Bros. motion picture brass (it wasn’t just Gunn and Safran’s decision). There were concerns about character arcs and payoffs, and the threequel emulating similar structural problems ala Wonder Woman 1984. She decided to take her toys and go home. The studio would like to do another Wonder Woman, however, the question is will Gal Gadot do it sans Jenkins.

• Useful 2

Deadline is making it sound like WB still wants to do a WW3 with Gal Gadot; they just didn’t like Patty Jenkins’ story.  Which I can’t totally blame them for, if it had the same issues WW84 had.  I loved the first one, but the second one was….not good. 

Edited by Starfish35
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Deadline is making it sound like WB still wants to do a WW3 with Gal Gadot; they just didn’t like Patty Jenkins’ story.  Which I can’t totally blame them for, if it had the same issues WW84 had.  I loved the first one, but the second one was….not good. 

Yeah, I like Patty Jenkins, but a new writer and director might not be a bad thing.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I agree. With Deadline saying Jenkins walked away because she didn’t like the notes is was given which is consistent with her background and Gadot’s recent “next chapter” post. I’m not going to blame DC or WB for that decision. When WW3 was announced I hoped they would let Jenkins direct but hire a different writer. WW84 showed she needs to be kept away from the script for so many reasons.

This whole thing once again leaves me amazed at how badly they are handling the press. All the leaks, everything with Cavill, Supergirl, never addressing the Ezra Miller situation, etc. I know Gunn and Safran are brand new to the role but I don’t understand how some statement about The Flash wasn’t the first priority. Everything that happens is tainted by their silence on that. 

Includes the following DCU execs and stars...

The Hollywood Reporter’s 2022 Women in Entertainment Power 100
BY MIKEY O'CONNELL, EDITOR      DECEMBER 7, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/the-hollywood-reporters-2022-women-in-entertainment-power-100/ 

Pamela Abdy
Co-chair and co-CEO, Warner Bros. Film Group

Placed atop the film studio in May alongside Michael De Luca after their strong run at MGM, Abdy immediately began weighing in on Warners’ 2023 slate, which includes The Flash (a release already complicated by star Ezra Miller’s offscreen woes), Wonka, the next Aquaman, Barbie and The Color Purple. Her final MGM highlights include Paul Thomas Anderson’s Licorice Pizza, a 2022 best picture nominee, and House of Gucci, finishing its box office run in February with $153 million in global sales.
Sarah Aubrey
Head of Originals, HBO Max

HBO Max might not exist in its current iteration this time next year, with a merged service combining Discovery+ planned for 2023, but Aubrey hasn’t stalled in populating her streamer with complementary content to flagship brand HBO. She’s boosted DC offerings (see Peacemaker and upcoming Colin Farrell starrer Penguin) and is mining other Warner Bros. IP with projects like Dune: The Sisterhood. In August, Aubrey’s purview shifted to drama and international fare.
Viola Davis
Actor, Producer

Sure, she released a best-selling memoir (Finding Me), starred in and produced The Woman King and played Michelle Obama in Showtime’s The First Lady — but Davis’ most striking 2022 accomplishment is perhaps the sum of her groundbreaking career. Rather than shape to fit Hollywood’s narrow norms, the Oscar, Emmy and Tony winner has expanded industry options by championing projects like The Woman King through her Juvee Productions and speaking openly about once-taboo topics like mental health and colorism.
Channing Dungey
Chair, Warner Bros. TV Group

Deftly navigating the ongoing aftershocks of the Discovery acquisition, Dungey’s sprawling TV studio delivered a broadcast breakout in ABC’s Abbott Elementary and signed creator and star Quinta Brunson to an overall deal. (Another Warner Bros. show, Ted Lasso, took its second Emmy for top comedy.) Though hers is an increasingly rare studio to have business around town, Dungey is naturally focused on supplying hits (see: DC’s Peacemaker and Pretty Little Liars spinoff Original Sin) to HBO Max. Next up: Damon Lindelof’s hotly anticipated Mrs. Davis for Peacock and Harrison Ford vehicle Shrinking at Apple TV+.
Margot Robbie
Actor, Producer

In between fronting auteur fare (see Damien Chazelle’s Babylon and David O. Russell’s Amsterdam), Robbie’s work as a producer remains top-notch. Her LuckyChap Entertainment shingle next delivers Emerald Fennell’s Promising Young Woman follow-up (Saltburn) and Megan Park’s My Old Ass. The banner will also release a star vehicle for Robbie when the long-gestating live-action Barbie drops in July.

Edited by tv echo

The Most Unjust Cancellations of 2022
By Team TVLine / December 9 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/tv-shows-cancelled-too-soon-2022/ 

Batgirl (HBO Max)
Got cancelled despite… it being downright batty that the Leslie Grace-starring standalone DC movie, which was bound for HBO Max and largely complete, would not get released anywhere. Instead it was basically buried in a deep hole, never to be seen, so that Warner Bros. Discovery could take it as a tax write-off. Amid conflicting reports of test screening feedback, WBD boss David Zaslav — tasked with trimming some $3 billion in company debt — said, “We’re not going to launch your movie until it’s ready. We’re not going to launch a movie to make a quota. And we’re not going to put a movie out unless we believe in it.”
Date of Cancellation: Aug. 2, 2022

Robert Pattinson’s Batman on Deck, ‘Aquaman 2’s’ $205 Million Budget: The Tricky Road Ahead for DC 
By Adam B. Vary  Dec 14, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/batman-robert-pattinson-aquaman-dc-studios-james-gunn-peter-safran-1235460483/ 

That transition period is no small thing. Warner Bros. has four DC properties on its film slate for 2023: “Shazam! Fury of the Gods” in March, “The Flash” in June, “Blue Beetle” in August and “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” in December. Safran is a producer on each film, other than “The Flash,” but these titles were conceived, developed and greenlit under the previous leadership at the studio and at DC Films.  

So now Gunn and Safran must thread a near-impossible needle: They have to decide how — or whether — to integrate these projects into their new DC universe, while also deciding when and how to tell the public about what’s in store for the new DC universe. If they announce their plans too early, any of the legacy titles that are the last hurrah for that iteration of the franchise could be seen as old news before they even premiere. But controlling the flow of news about DC has been a vexing challenge given the voracious appetite for any morsel of information — or anything resembling a morsel of information, even if there’s no truth to it — about what’s next for DC. 

.... But at least one core element of the so-called Snyderverse is likely over: A well-placed source says Gunn and Safran are exploring the possibility of incorporating filmmaker Matt Reeves’ iteration of Batman with actor Robert Pattinson into their wider universe. 

Meanwhile, Gunn and Safran still need to shepherd those legacy titles — as well as Season 2 of Gunn’s HBO Max series “Peacemaker” — to audiences amid widespread belt-tightening across Warner Bros. Discovery. Two sources tell Variety that, before Gunn and Safran took the reins at DC, Warner Bros. co-chief Pam Abdy had to tell “Aquaman 2” director James Wan to reduce his reshoot budget for the maritime sequel, which has already expanded to $205 million over production. Any further tweaks to any of the 2023 movies as to fully incorporate them into the new DC could easily cost millions more.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

.... But at least one core element of the so-called Snyderverse is likely over: A well-placed source says Gunn and Safran are exploring the possibility of incorporating filmmaker Matt Reeves’ iteration of Batman with actor Robert Pattinson into their wider universe. 

Dear God, no.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Dear God, no.

Article now reads:

(After this story was published, Gunn tweeted it was “entirely untrue” that he and Safran are considering including Pattinson’s Batman in their DC universe.)

---

That article didn't actually have any new info anyway; just stating the status of where things are now, plus some spec.

It's going to be a while until the fruits of the new leaders are seen (in terms of completed projects), so anything at this point is rumormongering .

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Dear God, no.

Lol agreed.

I would argue that the one thing WB/DC has mostly gotten right is their casting (obviously not including the whole Ezra Miller debacle 😬), but I am not a fan of either the Affleck or Pattinson casting.  I actually hope they keep most of the current casting, though, especially Gadot and Momoa.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

‘Superman’ New Pic Being Written by James Gunn, Henry Cavill Stepping Down – Deadline

In a tweet tonight, Gunn writes, “Peter and I have a DC slate ready to go, which we couldn’t be more over-the-moon about; we’ll be able to share some exciting information about our first projects at the beginning of the new year.”

He continues, “

“Among those on the slate is Superman. In the initial stages, our story will be focusing on an earlier part of Superman’s life, so the character will not be played by Henry Cavill.”

“But we just had a great meeting with Henry and we’re big fans and we talked about a number of exciting possibilities to work together in the future,” added Gunn.

• Sad 5

They told him to announce he was coming back in October 24th. Gunn and Safran are announced as the new heads of the company a day later and decide to kill the deal. How the hell does that even happen?

4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Henry Cavill deserves better.

Look, I like James Gunn and all, but I’m getting really tired of the cast reboots. Please at least just keep Jason and Gal?!

Absolutely. I like Gunn’s writing and directing but I’ve never been confident in him handling something on this kind of scale. I’m also not excited about his Young Superman movie. I don’t want another Superman origin story and I’m pissed a really good Superman is being shelved so that Gunn can make his version. 

4 hours ago, Trini said:

Rebooting everything except that cursed Flash movie....  😒

Yeah, it’s hard to get past that. As much as Gunn posts he still hasn’t addressed that particular elephant in the room. 

DC can go fuck itself.

This from someone whose childhood comic book collection is 100% DC.

I guess they have acknowledged their complete inability to make a decent adult Superman movie so now they have to fall back on the "Year One" formula.

Article I just read hinted that Matt Reeves' Batman is on the endangered species list.   But of course it is, because someone finally got the tone, look and feel right.

But sure, put all your chips on detestable Ezra Miller.

Julius Schwartz must be rolling in his grave.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

I'm done. Henry Cavill verified he's out as Superman today, and with Patty Jenkins also gone it's exceedingly unlikely that Gal Gadot will return as Wonder Woman in the near future. I won't feel a twinge of regret over missing out on anyone or anything else remaining in the DCEU stable at this point.

• Sad 1
  • Love 4

The sad thing is that they easily could have used Cavill’s Clark and Gadot’s Diana to anchor a really strong reboot. Announcing that would build a lot of audience good will and helped to maintain some interest in the already finished movies that will be released before their “slate” is ready. Instead they have monumental mismanaged the release of information. 

I feel really bad for Momoa and Levi who have to promote their movies in this environment. 

I’ve been hearing a few online pundits talking for weeks about how it would be best to chuck the existing cast and start fresh because it would just be too confusing for general audiences to see the existing actors in new stories that were not linked to the prior films.  I.e., that they would see these actors in new films and write it off as more Snyder-esque flotsam and not bother to engage or that they would be lost about what is supposed to be going on if they did engage.  I don’t think I have my fingers on the pulse of the mainstream, so maybe that is true, but my own instincts doubt that.  By box office, people at least genuinely embraced Gal as Wonder Woman, and while I’ve heard the ding on both her and Cavil that they are not good actors (she being far worse than he), I think they were immensely likable in these roles in terms of what they were asked to do (within the limits of the writing).

So many things have been wrong with the DCEU films at various times, in my opinion (the tone, the story arc, the costuming, the directing, the casting of lesser roles (like, just as one example, Diane Lane as Martha Kent), but they are ditching the one thing that worked for me:  Henry and Gal!  Gah!   Since my favorite DC character is actually Lois Lane, I personally actually just want to see Lois Lane and Clark Kent having some exciting Metropolis adventures together (and I do get that most people do not care so much for Lois), but if Gunn is going to focus on young Superman, I fear we are going to have to suffer through more Smallville story and/ or Lois being in the dark about Clark’s alter ego, and we’ve done iterations of all that so many times now between Smallville, Man of Steel, Superman Returns, etc.  It’s just so disappointing.  ☹️

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

I think that Gunn mentioned that it won't be an origin story.

This reboot is probably for the best.  The DCEU was a mess from the jump.  I doubt that there was much of any chance to salvage Superman after the Snyder films, despite Cavill's performance.  Superman deserves better.

It's unfortunate for some of the actors and some of the more successful movies.  But I think that ultimately we can do without a Wonder Woman or Aquaman on screen for a while.  Same for Flash or Shazam.  DC doesn't necessarily have to rely upon those characters.

44 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

Since my favorite DC character is actually Lois Lane

A solo Lois Lane film/series would be dope.

17 minutes ago, Tenshinhan said:

A solo Lois Lane film/series would be dope.

That could work for a TV series - a few years ago there was talk of a prequel series called Metropolis that would have focused on Lois and Lex doing their thing before Supes arrived. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

So many things have been wrong with the DCEU films at various times, in my opinion (the tone, the story arc, the costuming, the directing, the casting of lesser roles (like, just as one example, Diane Lane as Martha Kent), but they are ditching the one thing that worked for me:  Henry and Gal!  Gah!   Since my favorite DC character is actually Lois Lane, I personally actually just want to see Lois Lane and Clark Kent having some exciting Metropolis adventures together (and I do get that most people do not care so much for Lois), but if Gunn is going to focus on young Superman, I fear we are going to have to suffer through more Smallville story and/ or Lois being in the dark about Clark’s alter ego, and we’ve done iterations of all that so many times now between Smallville, Man of Steel, Superman Returns, etc.  It’s just so disappointing.  ☹️

Seriously. It feels like the constant Batman reboots all over again.

It’s not just Henry being recast that’s pissed me off, it’s the way they first said he was coming back only to change their minds after new management came in. They should never announced he was coming back in the first place unless everything was finalized! It’s so sloppy. Even the MCU doesn’t pull that kind of crap.

Gal hadn’t been confirmed to be done yet, right? She still might come back?

I still want to see the next Shazam and Aquaman movies, but I’m seriously wondering what’s the point if it’s all going to be wiped out anyway.

image.gif.50eefd5cd4e4e804ba0a45273ba539eb.gif

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

I think that Gunn mentioned that it won't be an origin story.

He did. I still have zero interest in a Young Superman story. 

18 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

It’s not just Henry being recast that’s pissed me off, it’s the way they first said he was coming back only to change their minds after new management came in. They should never announced he was coming back in the first place unless everything was finalized! It’s so sloppy.

Same. I wasn’t against a reboot and thought Cavill was done as Superman quite awhile ago. It’s the fact that I feel jerked around as a fan. Particularly, since it was only a day between him being back and the new management announcement. My problem is with what the overall handling of it says more than the specific announcement. 

The plans may be a good job of managing the characters but it been a horrible job of managing the fan base. 

22 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Gal hadn’t been confirmed to be done yet, right? She still might come back?

Yes but I really doubt it will happen at this point. I want her back but it would also piss me off because it would be like rubbing salt in the wound. The same way every decision is tainted by The Flash movie still happening. 

12 hours ago, Trini said:

Rebooting everything except that cursed Flash movie....  😒

But don't you know? They are ABSOLUTELY AMAAAAAZING in it! (that was sarcasm if it's not clear).

43 minutes ago, Dani said:

He did. I still have zero interest in a Young Superman story. 

So, basically, Super Boy? HARD PASS.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I know that they said it won’t be an origin story, but even if we don’t see the first time Supes puts on the suit, show me the filmmaker who will resist (1) young Clark Kent discussing thinly veiled Jesus metaphors with his bio dad and the last polar bear in the Arctic, (2) young Clark on the farm in Smallville struggling with being Superman or (3) regressing Lois from what was one highlight of the Snyder-verse for me (that she knows who Clark is and loves him for it) into an “in-the-dark” damsel in distress.

From the positive reviews, I guess Matt Reeves did a young superhero story competently and without retread into old movies with The Batman, so it can be done (I still haven’t gotten around to watching it).  I just don’t know why TV can do interesting things with Superman stories for decades (and I don’t mean that Lois & Clark, Smallville and Superman & Lois are all unqualified successes, but they all did interesting and new things in their own ways), and film tends to fall back to “Superman is an alien Jesus,” lol.  

And @Dani, you’re right that the Flash movie just kind of mocks this fresh start that they are touting.

• Love 3

I guess that means Cavil is free for Enola Holmes 3. 

I don't think he ever had an actual contract to come back as Superman for a solo movie. Just cameos. Then the new team just scrapped everything besides the problematic Flash movie. Which is one that probably should be canceled. 

I loved the first Wonder Woman, hated the second. So I'm all for giving someone else a chance to play Diana. I'm going to wait and see if DC can do any other reboots besides Batman. 

• Love 3

Interesting that shortly after Gunn tweets that he's looking forward to working with Cavill sometime after Young Superman, Cavill comes out and says "just talked to James and Peter, and I'm out of a job." Between this and Patty Jenkins, I don't think these "set the record straight" tweets are as working out as intended.

What's crazy is, they could use the aftermath of Flashpoint to pick and choose who to keep and who to ditch from the Snyderverse. Wasn't the initial idea that we'd have a different Batman but everyone else would stay the same. No need to go scorched earth on everything. There's probably some egotism at play here: rather than keep the parts that most people agreed were working, start from scratch and make the whole thing your own. But do folks want to be re- (or re-re-) introduced to the Justice League one by one? I'm not sure that I do.

I'm thinking we've seen the last of Black Adam as well. Dwayne Johnson has major egg on his face now after taking all of the credit for bringing back Henry Cavill, so he's got to be pissed.

But hey, at least we still get to keep Harley Quinn. And Ezra's Barry Allen as long as they don't threaten to kill anyone else. 😑

• Like 1
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, dmeets said:

Interesting that shortly after Gunn tweets that he's looking forward to working with Cavill sometime after Young Superman, Cavill comes out and says "just talked to James and Peter, and I'm out of a job." Between this and Patty Jenkins, I don't think these "set the record straight" tweets are as working out as intended.

Not to mention that someone else tweeted a rumor from an inside source (a couple of days ago) that Gunn doesn't like Cavill . Gunn got on Twitter saying total BS and, you need a new source...OP comes back with, another insider just confirmed the original rumor and, Gunn blasted him fir being wrong again.  Twitter assumed Gunn was truthful,  slammed OP and now I'm over here going hmmm 🤔

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Why would any actor or writer want to continue or sign with WB/DC now. They can just cancel your project even after its already been filmed and completely remove any older projects so they don't have to pay residuals. 

How much promotion are they going to do for their remaining DCEU movies, when they don't matter anymore. And they are still not even coming out until the middle and end of next year. If they are done just release them sooner. It's not like the box office is full of that many movies right now. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 4

I just don't get the choices they are making at all.

• Burst DC fandom's balloon two months after Cavill's surprise return generated enormous amounts of excitement and goodwill.
  • Imply a line-wide reboot as you're beginning the marketing for two now-irrelevant movies in the pipeline for next year, one of which is a sequel to a movie that got audiences to pay over a billion dollars to see frickin' Aquaman.
  • Lead actors who were almost universally loved and did near-perfect jobs embodying their iconic characters (despite the questionable quality of the last couple of films they appeared in) while behaving professionally are disposable, while actors who range from problematic to leading candidate to be the next David Koresh are irreplaceable and their projects are being released with them still spotlighted no matter what.
Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Like 1
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 6
  • Love 4

Anybody else doubting that The Batman sequel will still be made now? Despite that movie being a critical and financial hit.  Warner will find a way to destroy that too.

But hey, Ezra Miller still has a job. Rolls eyes.

• Applause 1
2 hours ago, magdalene said:

Anybody else doubting that The Batman sequel will still be made now? Despite that movie being a critical and financial hit.  Warner will find a way to destroy that too.

But hey, Ezra Miller still has a job. Rolls eyes.

I’m doubting everything but I wouldn’t be surprised if that does happen. The inside sources have been saying that’s staying and no matter how hard Gunn tries to discredit those sources they clearly have huge data leaks happening at DC. At this point my guess is that those working for DC, both in front and behind the camera, are pissed and undermining the new slate. 

2 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I'm wondering will Gunn be recasting Suicide Squad and Peacemaker? They are part of the DCEU, he can't fire everyone else and not them if he's doing a reboot. 

I wondered the same thing. 

19 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I'm wondering will Gunn be recasting Suicide Squad and Peacemaker? They are part of the DCEU, he can't fire everyone else and not them if he's doing a reboot. 

Well, Gunn's wife is one of the regular cast members on Peacemaker, sooo...

Even though Gunn and Safran are the new guys in charge of DC movies/shows/animation they aren't in charge of Warner Bros so some decisions will still be out of their hands. I place everything related to the Ezra debacle at Zaslav's and the old guard's feet. I don't expect them to have a job after The Flash comes out and they'll get fired once it does. It should happen before that of course and that movie should have been the one pulled for tax purposes rather than Batgirl but Zaslav is stupid so...

I can't speak to the behind the scenes stuff regarding Henry Cavill beyond this: he only announced he was coming back the same week Gunn and Safran were put in charge so it may have been a decision from even before Zaslav took over since Black Adam was done filming in 2021. It sounds like it conflicted with whatever their plan is for Superman which would definitely make for, at best, an awkward situation so I hope we get more details there (eg, if G&S were promised Feige level autonomy and their contract overrode a conversation between Henry and the old guard, or even that Zaslav himself encouraged dumping Henry since he likes doing that). 

I think we will see some of the existing actors stick around to put their characters to bed before new versions start showing up. I assume Gal and Jason have three movie contracts for Wonder Woman and Aquaman so I expect we'll see them again and maybe one more go with Margot's Harley Quinn. They don't need Ezra around to deal with Flashpoint fallout and I expect the bulk of the focus will be there and finding a better person to play either Barry or one of the other Flashes. 

As much as I love the MCU I've always preferred DC so I'm still in (not including The Flash).

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Even though Gunn and Safran are the new guys in charge of DC movies/shows/animation they aren't in charge of Warner Bros so some decisions will still be out of their hands. I place everything related to the Ezra debacle at Zaslav's and the old guard's feet. I don't expect them to have a job after The Flash comes out and they'll get fired once it does. It should happen before that of course and that movie should have been the one pulled for tax purposes rather than Batgirl but Zaslav is stupid so...

I agree somewhat. Whether they made the decision on Flash or not them not addressing it or Miller at all is a big problem for me. If Gunn and Safran haven’t been given enough control to make a statement it’s a big problem. If they have and are choosing not to it is a big problem. 

I can't speak to the behind the scenes stuff regarding Henry Cavill beyond this: he only announced he was coming back the same week Gunn and Safran were put in charge so it may have been a decision from even before Zaslav took over since Black Adam was done filming in 2021. It sounds like it conflicted with whatever their plan is for Superman which would definitely make for, at best, an awkward situation so I hope we get more details there (eg, if G&S were promised Feige level autonomy and their contract overrode a conversation between Henry and the old guard, or even that Zaslav himself encouraged dumping Henry since he likes doing that). 

Based on reports a deal with Cavill for a new solo Superman movie were nearly complete when Cavill was given the go ahead to make the announcement. It had been rumored since before comic con so Zaslav was in charge at that point. The recent leaks confirm that the deal was happening before Gunn and Safran took over. What I don’t understand is how any announcements were made or contracts being negotiated with actors when they had to also be in negotiations with Gunn and Safran at the same time. 

I think we will see some of the existing actors stick around to put their characters to bed before new versions start showing up. I assume Gal and Jason have three movie contracts for Wonder Woman and Aquaman so I expect we'll see them again and maybe one more go with Margot's Harley Quinn.

I really doubt it. Gunn and Safran don’t have a long enough initial contract to spend time wrapping up the previous versions. It’s only a four year deal so if they are going to reboot to get the supposed five year plan in place they have to start now. When the initial story broke that WW 3 and Cavill’s deal were dead it included that they were considering Momoa to play Lobo in the new slate. 

At this point, I'm boycotting The Flash movie. I don't care how well it tested or how good it's supposed to be.

James Gunn's DCU is off to a rocky start.  

ETA: More tweets on the Superman/Cavill news...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

So if the big difference is just that the character is younger, rather than going back to change foundational elements of his origin, first meetings with other major DC characters like Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, Batman, and Wonder Woman, etc., WHY is it so necessary that he be younger rather than just telling the story using the popular and well-cast actor they already had?

And if Gunn is jonesing so bad for Smallville: The College Years, couldn't he have done that story in addition to Superman movies starring Cavill? Having two different Jokers in movies around the same time and Schrödinger's Batman actor don't seem to be dealbreakers...

• Like 3