Type keyword(s) to search

The DC Extended Universe: To Thanagar and Beyond!

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, Trini said:

If that cursed movie still gets released after all this, no tax write off is going to save them from all the bad press. 😡

They've already got their excuse - hundreds of people worked really hard on that film, and hundreds minus one are decent human beings who shouldn't see their efforts banished because one person is a scumbag.  On the acting side, someone like Micheal Keaton is going to be just fine regardless.  But what about a Kiersey Clemons, or Sasha Calle?  This is, by far, their biggest showcase to date and it would be a real shame if it went up in smoke.

Your hard work only gets deleted if there's $$$ and a corporate takeover involved.

Fans Rage Over Decision to Shelve ‘Batgirl’ Film: ‘After All the Ezra Miller Bulls–‘
Andi Ortiz  Tue, August 2, 2022
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/fans-rage-over-decision-shelve-224716637.html 

The reaction from fans to Warner Bros.’ decision to scrap Leslie Grace’s “Batgirl” movie is, to put it mildly, intensely negative.

And alongside shock and genuine outrage over the decision itself, the conversation on social media, especially on Twitter, focused on the Ezra Miller-sized elephant in the room: You know, because his “Flash” film is still on the slate despite months, literally months of increasingly bad headlines from the actor’s ongoing, very public personal scandals.
“If they’re willing to set $130 million on fire to not release Batgirl or Scoob! Holiday Haunt, then WB have absolutely zero excuses not to scrap The Flash given the circumstances surrounding Ezra Miller. the amount of money spent on it cannot function as an excuse anymore,” one person said on Twitter.

“The fact that they’re shelving Batgirl but still planning to release that The Flash movie and praying somehow no one has read a single Ezra Miller story online for the past two years is…a choice,” one person wrote.

“WB not cancelling The Flash after all the Ezra Miller bulls— but they cancel Batgirl????? HUH?????” another tweeted.

You know, the Snyder fans deny they're bots. There's just so many of them and they're just that vocal. If there's a way to save the Batgirl movie, then maybe someone should spread the rumour that it's part of the Snyderverse. I'm not saying that it'll work, just that there's a chance.

• Like 1

I wasn't really looking forward to any of the DC movies, but that is some bs. I feel bad for all the cast and crew that worked on the movie. Yes, they got paid. They didn't just film a 90 million dollar movie for the money. They want people to see their work. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

Wasn't Michael Keaton supposed to appear in Batgirl? He was reportedly cut out of Aquaman 2 recently and replaced with Ben Affleck, so I do wonder if there's actually something else going on.  Whether it's a Flash connection or not.

I think WBDiscovery is doing everything they can to cut Ezra out of DCEU so yes cutting out Flashpoint references with Keaton makes sense. 

The NY Post, Deadline and Hollywood Reporter all claimed the movie was canceled because it had really poor test screening (which I find more likely than it getting rave reviews). If the movie had a good response they would have tweaked it more to erase the Miller/Flashpoint  aspect. They already sank 70M + an additional 20M for reshoots. If they felt it was salvageable they would have sunk more $.  Taking a 90M hit on a movie they could have easily dumped to streaming tells me it was a total mess.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

The NY Post, Deadline and Hollywood Reporter all claimed the movie was canceled because it had really poor test screening (which I find more likely than it getting rave reviews). If the movie had a good response they would have tweaked it more to erase the Miller/Flashpoint  aspect. They already sank 70M + an additional 20M for reshoots. If they felt it was salvageable they would have sunk more $.  Taking a 90M hit on a movie they could have easily dumped to streaming tells me it was a total mess.

The articles out this morning say that it is because of purchase accounting. Basically they think the movie will be a loss and because of the merger they can shelve and not have it carry over onto the new companies books so they don’t have to take the $90 million hit. It didn’t necessarily have to be a total mess for it to make sense from a purely financial standpoint. 

I do question how big of a hit the bad PR is going to be. Even if this the right financial move it feels like a mistake to let the news break like this. The really should have used comic con to announce some kind of plan going forward. 

4 minutes ago, Dani said:

The articles out this morning say that it is because of purchase accounting. Basically they think the movie will be a huge loss and because of the merger they can shelve and not have it carry over onto the new companies books so they don’t have to take the $90 million hit. It didn’t necessarily have to be a total mess for it to make sense from a purely financial standpoint. 

I haven't been back in a while, but this is a relatively sane place compared to everything else out there, so...

I think Deadline had the clearest explanation.  The film was produced as an HBO Max Original, which essentially meant not-really-cinematic production values (I thought it looked great, but I haven't seen it in a theater). Zaslov has apparently reached a decision that HBO Max is NOT going to be the home of original movies, because they don't appreciably attract or retain subscribers relative to series or theatrical films, and that Deadline article points out that they have this one chance to take a huge writeoff on the movie because of the merger and the arcana of US tax laws. Couple that with the fact that the announcement of the earnings call tomorrow afternoon specifically says "The Company will host an extended conference call at 4:30 p.m. ET that same day to discuss the results and provide a Direct-to-Consumer strategy update." (emphasis mine).

Bottom line: Zaslov doesn't believe the ROI is there for expensive scripted originals on streaming, at least not movies, and he's still on his quest to cut $3 Billion in "synergy".  It really sucks, but I don't think the decision to cut Batgirl has anything to do with the quality of the story/acting/direction, etc.

So far as The Flash goes, I still think the film will be released as planned in June unless Ezra is brought up on felony charges.

• Useful 4
14 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

Wasn't Michael Keaton supposed to appear in Batgirl? He was reportedly cut out of Aquaman 2 recently and replaced with Ben Affleck, so I do wonder if there's actually something else going on.  Whether it's a Flash connection or not.

I think that was because Aquaman 2 has been moved to come out before The Flash, and apparently the scene was important enough to keep.

I also think that the photos of Ben from that post look very much like he's in costume as Bruce Wayne, and I strongly doubt that he'll put on a Batsuit again (in real time, not sure how he's going to look in The Flash).

25 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

It really sucks, but I don't think the decision to cut Batgirl has anything to do with the quality of the story/acting/direction, etc.

Agreed. Mediocre and straight up bad films get released all the time; just really surprised it happened to a Batman($$$)-adjacent one.

I wonder if there's any way for them to unofficially release it, or edit/alter it enough to release it as a different film? It'd be such a shame for Batgirl to just disappear only because of accounting shenanigans that have nothing to do with the film itself.

1 hour ago, Dani said:

The articles out this morning say that it is because of purchase accounting. Basically they think the movie will be a loss and because of the merger they can shelve and not have it carry over onto the new companies books so they don’t have to take the $90 million hit. It didn’t necessarily have to be a total mess for it to make sense from a purely financial standpoint. 

I do question how big of a hit the bad PR is going to be. Even if this the right financial move it feels like a mistake to let the news break like this. The really should have used comic con to announce some kind of plan going forward. 

Interesting,  that's different,  the ones I saw last night talked about bad test screening.  I wonder which is the spin?

(edited)

The only reports I had seen come out of the test screenings were "middling to good" until yesterday, except for a few that were obviously biased against the movie anyway.  Plus, the viewers were watching an unfinished TV movie in a theater, so I imagine a lot of the seams were showing.

Also, here's the official statement from WB (via THR):

“The decision to not release Batgirl reflects our leadership’s strategic shift as it relates to the DC universe and HBO Max,” said a Warner Bros. spokesperson in a statement. “Leslie Grace is an incredibly talented actor and this decision is not a reflection of her performance. We are incredibly grateful to the filmmakers of Batgirl and Scoob! Holiday Haunt and their respective casts and we hope to collaborate with everyone again in the near future.”

Edited by MarkHB
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Interesting,  that's different,  the ones I saw last night talked about bad test screening.  I wonder which is the spin?

My guess is the initial reports that is was screening badly was spin. The more information that comes out the more it looks like the new head wants to move away from streaming so all steaming programing is on the blocks. There are even rumors that HBO Max will be either killed or substantially altered. Even if Batgirl was testing really well it doesn’t really benefit them if they are changing their streaming strategy. But if the movie was testing really well they probably wouldn’t have shelved it entirely. 

3 hours ago, MarkHB said:

So far as The Flash goes, I still think the film will be released as planned in June unless Ezra is brought up on felony charges.

If not something worse, like a shootout with the FBI or ATF. Charismatic nutcase + groomed teenagers/followers + drugs + farmhouse full of guns gives me a very bad feeling.

I have no problem with shelving Batgirl.   The Bat franchise is being done to death and the multiverse concept is annoying AF with all these different Batmans running around.  Michael Keaton was terrible as Batman.  Fuck Tim Burton, too.  Took me twenty years to get those two awful movies out of my head.   Why the hell would they bring him back now?

DC needs to sideline The Flash as well.   Ezra Miller is a shitshow.   I couldn't go to that movie in good conscience thinking that they are profiting from it.   

P.S. Does anyone really believe Batgirl will never be released?   The hype around the cancellation alone will be enough to convince the studio to release it when they think they can best exploit the controversy.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 1

I liked Keaton's Batman. I was kind of interested in seeing his return to the role. I also really enjoyed Burton's first Batman movie.  The sequel was hit and miss.

• Love 2

Just saw this on Twitter and it doesn’t include the likely to be axed Green Lantern, Justice League Dark, Black Canary, etc. I agree it looks like Discovery is dumping a significant number of Warner Bros projects and probably in favor of shit reality tv. 

• Mind Blown 1
3 hours ago, millennium said:

P.S. Does anyone really believe Batgirl will never be released?   The hype around the cancellation alone will be enough to convince the studio to release it when they think they can best exploit the controversy.

If they are using it as a tax write off they will be very limited in what the can do with the film. 

I've been reading various tweets and such and one person just pointed out that this could also axe Dune 2. I hope not as the first was gorgeous but I wouldn't be surprised. Lord this sucks.

7 minutes ago, Dani said:

If they are using it as a tax write off they will be very limited in what the can do with the film. 

If they want to be nice they'll hand out free DVDs with the Warner Bros bags at Comic Con next summer. They won't but it would be nice.

• Applause 1
4 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I've been reading various tweets and such and one person just pointed out that this could also axe Dune 2. I hope not as the first was gorgeous but I wouldn't be surprised. Lord this sucks.

Dune 2 starting filming last month. If they intended to axe it they probably would have done so before that point. 

3 hours ago, starri said:

I'm impressed by the speed they're managing to ruin HBOMax.

I don’t agree with their choices but think those in charge of AT&T and WB should get most of blame for getting the studio massively into debt. HBO Max was in borrowed time well before the merger. 

16 hours ago, Dani said:

I don’t agree with their choices but think those in charge of AT&T and WB should get most of blame for getting the studio massively into debt. HBO Max was in borrowed time well before the merger. 

I think a big chunk of the debt was the $43 Billion WBD had to borrow and give to AT&T as part of the split. I can't blame Zaslav for that.

Fun facts:

• As separate companies, AT&T and TimeWarner each paid dividends to stockholders.
  • After the merger, AT&T's dividend didn't go up to reflect the combination of two successful companies.*
  • Post-breakup, AT&T's dividend went down, and there's no sign of WBD paying any dividends at all.
  • You all get one guess as to how I voted my pittance of AT&T shares on the Board of Directors proxy. Hint: it was the very last thing I did with them before selling.

*- I know, there are nuances like the immense number of outstanding AT&T shares. My holdings were far less than the average retired Wichita lineman has.

3 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I think a big chunk of the debt was the $43 Billion WBD had to borrow and give to AT&T as part of the split. I can't blame Zaslav for that.

Isn’t that exactly the part Zaslav is responsible since he oversaw the merger on Discovery’s end?

What I was referring to his how badly AT&T handled everything to get on the position of selling Warner only 3 years after buying it. What’s happening now is drastic but a lot that is because of how poorly managing WM was. It doesn’t look like WMD is going to be much better but I think it’s too early to judge. It’s not like the strategy under Kilar was working. HBO Max has been in trouble since it launched. Kilar was just better at hiding it. 

Warner Bros. Discovery CEO Defends Axing ‘Batgirl’: ‘We’re Not Going to Put a Movie Out Unless We Believe in It’

During the presentation, Zaslav repeatedly pointed to the company’s DC superhero properties — including Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman — as central to the company’s broader content strategy. To better marshal those properties, Zaslav cited his previously reported goal of putting together a team with a “10-year plan focusing just on DC,” similar to the approach Disney has taken with Marvel Studios, as run by Kevin Feige. But he did not announce who would be heading that team in the Feige role.

“These are brands that are known everywhere in the world,” he said of the DC characters. “And as part of that, we’re going to focus on quality. DC is something that we think we could make better and we’re focused on it now.”

Zaslav mentioned “quality” repeatedly when discussing DC, strongly implying that “Batgirl” was not up to a standard that he believes is necessary for adaptations of the wider comic book property.

“The objective is to grow the DC brand, to grow the DC characters,” he said. “But also, our job is to protect the DC brand. And that’s what we’re going to do.”

What they don't seem to understand about Marvel is that the movies work because there's chemistry between the actors.  A sense of camaraderie.   The audience cares about the characters because the characters care about each other.   There's rarely a lighter, more human side to DC characters.   It's mostly heroic posing, stiff upper lips, and angst.  Plus Marvel casts better actors to whom the audience can more easily relate.

Does anyone really care when the DC heroes team up?  If you're already meh on the individual characters, why would you feel excited about a Justice League story?

DC's writing sucks too.  Steppenwolf?  Seriously?  And Darkseid?   I got hooked on comic books in the 1970s and Darkseid was boring even back then.  It didn't help that I never liked Jack Kirby's style or the New Gods or any of that.  I remember being peeved when Mr. Miracle and Big Barda appeared in The Brave and the Bold with Batman.

I don't see how DC ever extricates itself from the mess it's already made unless it cuts ties with the past entirely and starts fresh.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dani said:

What I was referring to his how badly AT&T handled everything to get on the position of selling Warner only 3 years after buying it.

I didn't even realize that was what happened.  I knew AT&T bought WB a few years back.  I thought the recent Discovery deal was a Merger, like CBS/WB becoming CW. Wow, they dumped WB after 3 years. Yikes!

56 minutes ago, Trini said:

This guy probably understands numbers (not a bad thing), but I don't think he understands the audience for DC/comic properties.

True but if they put the right person in charge of DC he doesn’t really need to understand them. DC needs someone who can go back to basics, create a strong foundation and then expand their cinematic universe.

DC just kept expanding in ways that didn’t really make any sense. 

I hope he lets Superman & Lois have the lifespan it deserves. I know season 3 is already a go but if he's so determined to have the DC properties be theatrical only then I worry he won't let the show go beyond 3 years. And the show is so fucking good I want it to come to an end when they are ready and not a moment earlier. Maybe whoever gets put in charge of DC convinces him to let the show do its thing while letting other characters shine in the movies. If they truly want to replicate the MCU they need to start with characters other than the Trinity anyway. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

I hope he lets Superman & Lois have the lifespan it deserves. I know season 3 is already a go but if he's so determined to have the DC properties be theatrical only then I worry he won't let the show go beyond 3 years. And the show is so fucking good I want it to come to an end when they are ready and not a moment earlier. Maybe whoever gets put in charge of DC convinces him to let the show do its thing while letting other characters shine in the movies. If they truly want to replicate the MCU they need to start with characters other than the Trinity anyway. 

Perhaps it will be safe since it was always a TV series whereas Batgirl was specifically a made for streaming movie.  

More reporting on David Zaslav's comments yesterday, possible cancellation of Supergirl movie, WB's 10-year movie plan and HBO Max plans, and Walter Hamada's reaction to the Batgirl cancellation...

WBD Boss on Batgirl Cancellation: 'We're Not Going to Put a Movie Out Unless We Believe in It'
By Matt Webb Mitovich and Keisha Hatchett / August 4 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/08/04/why-batgirl-movie-was-cancelled-10-year-dc-films-plan/ 

“We’re not going to put a movie out unless we believe in it.”

David Zaslav, President and CEO of Warner Bros. Discovery, repeatedly stated that POV on Thursday afternoon, in the course of answering a post-earnings call question about the decision to shelve the nearly-complete Batgirl movie, which was originally developed for HBO Max and then eyed for a possible theatrical release.

“We have done a reset” when it comes to the release strategy behind movies of any kind, Zaslav said. As one part of that, “There will be a team with a 10-year plan focusing just on DC,” he said. “It’s very similar to the structure that Alan Horn and and Bob Iger put together effectively with [Marvel Studios chief] Kevin Feige at Disney.”

Having pored over “all the data,” Zaslav explained that “our conclusion is that with expensive direct-to-streaming movies — in terms of how people are consuming them on the platform, how often people buy a service for it, and how it gets nourished over time — there is no comparison to what happens when you launch a film in the theaters. So, this idea of expensive films going to streaming… we cannot find an economic case for it. And so we’re making a strategic shift. ”
But now, it won’t get a showcase of any kind. Instead, Warner Bros. Discovery will use the movie as a tax write-off, as the company labors to pay down billions in debt.

“We’re not going to launch your movie until it’s ready. We’re not going to launch a movie to make a quota. And we’re not going to put a movie out unless we believe in it,” Zaslav explained. “Particularly with DC, where we think we want to pivot and we want to elevate and we want to focus.”

“The objective is to grow the DC brand, to grow the DC characters,” he continued. “But also, our job is to protect the DC brand, and that’s what we’re going to do.”

‘Batgirl’ Blindside: Why Warner Bros. Decided to Pull the Plug
By TATIANA SIEGEL   AUGUST 4, 2022
https://au.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/batgirl-shelved-warner-bros-42114/ 

Now, the prospect of other DC films being squashed looms. Insiders say Supergirl, which is in development, is not likely to move forward. Sasha Calle, who plays the caped superheroine, is introduced in the upcoming The Flash. Supergirl was going to spin off of the Miller-led tentpole.

Warner Bros. Announces 10-Year DC Movie Plan Will Mirror Marvel
By Sam Hargrave    August 4, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/dc-marvel-warner-bros-plan 

During the Warner Bros. Discovery Q2 Earnings Call, CEO David Zaslav revealed that "DC is at the top of the list" of its plans moving forward as they attempt to mirror Marvel Studios' methods.
"As we look at the opportunities that we have broadly, DC is at the top of the list for us. You look at Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman, these are brands that are known everywhere in the world and the ability to drive those all over the world with great stories is a big opportunity for us. We have done a reset. We've restructured the business where we're going to focus. There will be a team with a ten-year plan focusing just on DC. It's very similar to the structure that Alan Horn and Bob Iger put together very effectively with Kevin Feige at Disney."
"We think that we can build a long-term, much stronger, sustainable growth business out of DC. And as part of that we're going to focus on quality, we're not going to release any film before it's ready. We're not going to release a film to make a quarter, the focus is going to be 'how do we make these films in general as good as possible?' But DC is something we think we could make better, and we're focusing on it now."

Warner Bros. Discovery To “Spend Dramatically More” On HBO/HBO Max & “Lock Up” Majority Of Casey Bloys’ Top Team
By Peter White   August 4, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/08/warner-bros-discovery-spend-dramatically-more-on-hbo-1235085569/ 

Speaking of HBO & HBO Max Chief Content Officer Casey Bloys and his team, WBD President and CEO David Zaslav revealed that “we’re going to spend dramatically more” in 2022 and 2023 vs. 2020 and 2021. Execs, however, declined to give out any numbers, and a rep for HBO declined to elaborate on Zaslav’s comments.

Zaslav added that the majority of Bloys’ top team has been “locked up”, although he declined to name any execs. The list is believed to include the key senior executives under Bloys.

“Quality is what matters. Quality is what Casey and that team is delivering. It’s the best team in the business. We’re doubling down on that HBO team. They’re all committed under contract and we’re going to spend dramatically more this year and next year than we spent last year in the year before,” Zaslav said.

DC Films’ Walter Hamada Was on the Brink of Exit After ‘Batgirl’ Cancellation
BY KIM MASTERS    AUGUST 5, 2022 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/dc-films-walter-hamada-exit-batgirl-1235193439/ 

Amid the shelving of the HBO Max film Batgirl and the clear desire of Warner Bros. Discovery chief David Zaslav to find new leadership for the DC universe, DC Films president Walter Hamada has come to the verge of exiting the studio and consulted with counsel, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Hamada has now agreed to remain in his post at least until the Oct. 21 release of the Dwayne Johnson film Black Adam, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. “He’s pausing,” says a source. “The decision has not been made to make this adversarial, yet.” Hamada could not be reached for comment.
An insider says Warner Bros. Pictures Group co-chairpersons and CEOs Michael De Luca and Pam Abdy, who are overseeing DC until Zaslav settles on new leadership, informed Hamada at a recent Black Adam test screening that Batgirl, a $90 million film that was in post-production, would be shelved. The explanation was that given Zaslav’s strategy, the picture wasn’t strong enough to release theatrically and was too expensive for a streaming release. The company, under pressure to cut costs, elected to take a writedown on the project.

A source with knowledge of the situation says Hamada was upset at not being consulted and concerned about the impact on those involved in making the film. On Aug. 2, before talent and their representatives had been informed of the decision, the New York Post broke the news that the film had been shelved. The Post reported that the film had low test scores and said a source described it as “irredeemable.”

Edited by tv echo

That's why I don't know why people are all excited, when they have been saying the same thing every few years. 

They should release the movies they already filmed. Then just completely start fresh. New actors, new stories. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

The movie might be released no matter what, but maybe its star will be incarcerated (or worse) by the time it happens

Paranoid, wearing body armor, and carrying a gun sounds like someone who's going to end up in some sort of shootout

That might actually be a good thing for the movie in a weird way. Locked means less of a loss canon and he would be facing some consequences. If they are going forward regardless him in jail may be the best cases scenario since there is not version where if his reputation is redeemed. 

47 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

That's why I don't know why people are all excited, when they have been saying the same thing every few years. 

They should release the movies they already filmed. Then just completely start fresh. New actors, new stories. 

I’m not excited but I am cautiously optimistic just because their are finally new people in charge. I’m taking more of a wait and see approach. It does concern me that they are too focused on being like Marvel. It will really depend on who they put in charge. If they can find a Feige or Filloni for DC it could be a really good thing. 

5 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I’m not optimistic for Superman & Lois. CW is for sale and was very close to a deal last month. 

What TV shows does DC have remaining?

• Superman & Lois - CW
  • Stargirl - CW
  • The Flash - CW (cancelled - airing shortened ninth season)
  • Gotham Knights - CW
  • Titans - HBO Max
  • Harley Quinn - HBO Max
  • Doom Patrol - HBO Max
  • Young Justice - HBO Max

What am I forgetting?

1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:
  • Gotham Knights - CW

There are rumors floating around that this is dead now.

50 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Peacemaker -HBO Max 

But James Gunn did confirm that the second season is still happening.

1 hour ago, starri said:
2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:
  • Gotham Knights - CW

There are rumors floating around that this is dead now.

Eh- I always thought that wasn't going to last past one short season anyway.

2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

What am I forgetting?

There's also Pennyworth. Sweet Tooth. Sandman. Several kids shows.

And various other projects in various states of development.

• Useful 2