Type keyword(s) to search

The DC Extended Universe: To Thanagar and Beyond!

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Whether or not Batgirl was going to be any good, not even releasing it is a huge dick move. People worked hard on that movie, it sucks that their movie will never be seen because of studio nonsense. What a waste of time and money. And I’m still waiting on that “ten year plan” DC. They don’t have a Kevin Feige to make it all run smoothly, they’ve been flailing about for years and none of this makes me think it’s changing. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
On 8/6/2022 at 9:20 AM, tennisgurl said:

They don’t have a Kevin Feige to make it all run smoothly, they’ve been flailing about for years and none of this makes me think it’s changing. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if they are attempting to poach someone from Marvel. There was news story a while back that Feige almost jumped ship when he had to deal with Purlemutter. 

Forget the 10-year plan and focus on making a good Wonder Woman 3 and Superman movie and they might have something to build on. 

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Whether or not Batgirl was going to be any good, not even releasing it is a huge dick move. People worked hard on that movie, it sucks that their movie will never be seen because of studio nonsense.

Exactly. They got paid so at least this isn't a scale situation (though I doubt scale exists for straight to streaming) but not releasing the movie at all means there's no chance that it will be a surprise hit or become a cult classic. Not releasing the movie at all means the people who worked on it can't use it as an actual example when pursuing other jobs. They can put it on their CV and nothing more. Can't point to a famous scene and talk about the cinematography choices or how the dialog was chosen. Can't show the skill that went into the editing or choreography of action sequences. There are a ton of unsuccessful theatrical releases that advanced careers (Shawshank Redemption, Citizen Cane, The Thing to name three famous ones) because the work was seen by people who liked what they saw and wanted to hire the same people who Did That.

This whole thing sucks all the way around. 

• Love 6

According to Variety, Warner Bros. Discovery recently hired Alan Horn as a consultant to help their new CEO David Zaslav "navigat[e] the film business." Horn is Disney's former chairperson and chief creative officer (retired from Disney in 2021). During Horn's decade at Disney, 20 films crossed the billion-dollar mark, including Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War,  Avengers: Endgame, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Edited by tv echo

Cancelled Batgirl Movie Plot Details Reveal Flash & Catwoman Connections
By Aeron Mer Eclarinal   August 6, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/batgirl-movie-plot-cancelled-flash-catwoman 

In the latest episode of The Town podcast, Hollywood insider Matt Belloni revealed that he recently spoke with someone who had seen a screening of Batgirl, revealing new details about the movie. 
“My guy said that this was pretty much done, there was some CGI at the end, they were trying to figure out what the ending was, but like the fundamentals here... the stakes are small. Firefly is just a dude in a suit, who like may or may not have killed Batgirl’s mother early on, there was a fire or something, I don’t want to get into the details of the plot. Which he said was very convoluted, it involved multiple boyfriends and mob bosses."
"There may or may not have been a reference to Jason Todd, who is a big character in the DC universe. But there’s no Robin in this movie. They do show Michelle Pfeiffer’s Catwoman mask, which is a nice little Easter Egg. Although Michelle Pfeiffer is not in the movie.”
“It’s set in the universe after the upcoming Flash movie, which is sort of a reset of the DC Universe, and Michael Keaton’s in it because he’s in The Flash as Batman. It’s also weirdly a Christmas movie, for some reason. So this movie likely wouldn’t come out until the holidays next year.”
This is someone who was in the test screening a couple months ago where they were trying to figure out what to do with this movie and I called him and we chatted and he said that after the screening, the executives Walter Hamada of DC and some of the others there ask the audience, “Did this feel big?” and clearly they were trying to figure out whether it felt like it deserved a theatrical release and the consensus was absolutely not. He said it played like a TV pilot, the stakes were very small... He said it felt a little like Dark Phoenix.

Kevin Smith Confirms DC’s Strange Adventures Show Has Been Canceled
BY ANDY BEHBAKHT    PUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO
https://screenrant.com/dc-strange-adventures-show-canceled-kevin-smith/ 

After no updates about Strange Adventures for years, Smith has revealed some surprising details. In the latest edition of Smith's Hollywood Babble-On, the filmmaker revealed that he, along with Supergirl writer Eric Carrasco, had been working on an episode together of Strange Adventures. Their episode would have focused on Jimmy Olsen and Perry White being taken by Bizarro to Bizarro World, with Smith set to direct the Strange Adventures installment. However, amid Warner Bros. Discovery's cancellations, Smith confirmed that Strange Adventures has been canceled and will not be going forward on HBO Max, sharing the following:

"It feels like what was once, to me, a promising future of we are going to see a bunch of DC stuff on HBO Max; MORE DC stuff than we would see theatrically, including shit like Strange Adventures...gone! All of it is just f---king gone now. I got a call the other day from Eric before all of this story broke and he was just like "Strange Adventures is officially dead," and I was like "What the f--k, are you serious?!" I know we haven't heard from them for a while, but I guess this goes in parts with the new moves with David Zaslav. But God lord, I thought Strange Adventures being a causality kind of made sense to me. Nobody necessarily knows these characters, it sounded like an expensive show."

Edited by tv echo

They cancel Batgirl for no real reason and are releasing the Flash movie while the lead star is on a crime spree. That makes sense. 

I don't really care about Batgirl, but the Flash is a hot mess of problems that the WB isn't addressing at all. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

They cancel Batgirl for no real reason and are releasing the Flash movie while the lead star is on a crime spree. That makes sense. 

I don't really care about Batgirl, but the Flash is a hot mess of problems that the WB isn't addressing at all. 

I agree. Somewhere I hope Ray Fisher is gloating after so many people said that the problem was just that he was difficult or not talented enough. Time and time again WB has shown everyone the type of company they are and clearly becoming WBD didn’t change that. 

The incompetency of how this is being handled is staggering. I constantly wonder in situations like this if the company doesn’t have good PR people to point out the obvious optics or if they do and the people in charge are ignoring them. Even a statement condemning his actions but that they are going forward with the movie due to the hard work of everyone else involved would be better than saying nothing. It would come off disingenuous but still an improvement.

DC really wasted ComicCon as a opportunity to refocus the story. How different would this be playing out if they announced a new Flash and Superman before the Batgirl news broke? Instead Batgirl is shelved, the Supergirl project is probably dead and Michael B Jordan’s Superman project appears to be dead but Flash staring an accused predator is going forward. Anyone should have been able to see how bad this was going to look. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

Even a statement condemning his actions but that they are going forward with the movie due to the hard work of everyone else involved would be better than saying nothing. It would come off disingenuous but still an improvement.

Disingenuous is putting it lightly.  Maybe they had that option two weeks ago- but now everyone knows what a movie crew’s hard work is actually worth, and it’s a $90 million tax write off for the studio suits.  If anything, the line they’re sticking with is that Flash is just so amazing, that they’re “doing it for the fans”- as if everything will be cool once we see how great this movie is.  Which, good luck with that guys.

• Applause 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Dani said:

The incompetency of how this is being handled is staggering. I constantly wonder in situations like this if the company doesn’t have good PR people to point out the obvious optics or if they do and the people in charge are ignoring them. Even a statement condemning his actions but that they are going forward with the movie due to the hard work of everyone else involved would be better than saying nothing. It would come off disingenuous but still an improvement.

*Literally* the lest they can do.

Like a month ago I thought WB would still release it  - even though it would be a terrible look - but now that we know that chucking entire completed content actually is an option; yeah, toss it instead of trying to market a film where the lead is in prison. Un-cancel Batgirl.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Warner Bros. Makes Major Change to Movies Premiering on HBO Max
By NICOLE DRUM - August 9, 2022 
https://comicbook.com/movies/news/warner-bros-movies-streaming-change-hbo-max-theatrical-window/ 

Fans waiting to catch new Warner Bros. movies on HBO Max may find themselves waiting. According to The Wrap, Warner Bros. Discovery has shifted the previous 45-day theatrical window put in place by former WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar and now, new Warner Bros. films are no longer guaranteed to hit the streamer on that schedule. Per the report, streaming release timing will now be determined on a case-by-case basis for films in what is seen as the latest reversal of Kilar's embrace of streaming by Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav.

This latest development probably shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. During Warner Bros. Discovery's quarterly earnings call last week, Zaslav suggested that there could be a longer wait for new films to hit HBO Max, noting that the company had "no intention of beholden" to any one particular platform.
The reported change in theatrical release window isn't the only change that is coming for HBO Max, either. Zaslav also revealed during last week's call that he plans to merge HBO Max and Discovery+ to create "an integrated SVOD service."

WB's Tax Write-Off Means Batgirl Can Never Get A Snyder Cut-Type Release
BY STEPHEN COLBERT     AUGUST 10, 2022
https://screenrant.com/batgirl-cancelled-wb-tax-never-snyder-cut-release/ 

There's been a number of reports about the reasons behind the decision to totally scrap Batgirl, despite the movie already being deep into post-production, from poor test screening scores (despite testing similarly to other big upcoming DC movies) to perceptions that the movie is both too expensive to be monetized for streaming and too cheap to serve as a theatrical draw. One of the biggest factors, though, could be the fact that Warner Bros. Discovery's post-merger tax options provide a unique option to totally scrap the movie as a tax write-off. Hollywood accounting and using movies as tax write-offs is nothing new, but most of those scenarios still see the movie released, which makes Batgirl particularly unique, especially when compared to Zack Snyder's Justice League, which just saw a big release following a three-year campaign, despite WB's insistence Snyder's version of Justice League didn't even exist.
Normally, a movie like Batgirl might just see post-production expedited for cost savings and released without any fanfare so the studio can claim the lack of profit as a write-off. Unfortunately, since Batgirl was acquired as part of the Warner Bros. Discovery merger, there are far broader options in place to write off acquisition-related expenses, allowing them to claim the full cost of Batgirl's production expenses as a part of what Deadline reports is a total of $825 million attributed to "Content impairments and development write-offs."

A confluence of factors attributed to Warner Bros. Discovery's decision to shelve Batgirl and use it as a tax write-off. Since the studio is no longer prioritizing HBO Max growth in the way it was before, a $90 million Batgirl movie doesn't look nearly as valuable for a streaming release, but since it was designed for the small screen, it reportedly wouldn't suffice on the big screen alongside recent theatrical releases like The Batman or upcoming releases like Aquaman and The Lost Kingdom, Black Adam, or Shazam! Fury of the Gods. While Joker notoriously made over $1 billion from an even smaller budget than Batgirl, it was also designed as a potential awards contender, meaning Batgirl just didn't make a clear fit for the release strategy.
Following the highly publicized release of Zack Snyder's Justice League, the idea of a fan campaign to release Batgirl has gained some traction, although the scenario is significantly different thanks to the tax situation. Since the Snyder Cut was initially just an alternate cut of the version of Justice League released in theaters in 2017, the movie couldn't be written off as a total loss. Additionally, it was reported Geoff Johns and John Berg refused to delay the movie so WB executives could keep their bonuses, but that also meant it was released prior to the completion of the AT&T acquisition, meaning the post-merger options being utilized by Warner Bros. Discovery were never available to the Snyder Cut.

DC Films “Reset” Adds More Confusion for Warner Bros.’ Slate
BY AARON COUCH     AUGUST 9, 2022 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/batgirl-cancellation-upcoming-dc-movies-1235196017/ 

Before Warners’ sale to Discovery, [DC Films president Walter] Hamada was gearing up to release three or four films a year. The executive was brought on in 2018 to chart a new course for DC after a road map spearheaded by Zack Snyder imploded in the wake of the disastrous release of Justice League in 2017.

Hamada’s plans were said to have included a Crisis on Infinite Earths event, a take on the seminal DC Comics story that was adapted for TV on The CW. Rumors circulated about introducing the Secret Six, a villain team that in the comics have been Suicide Squad antagonists. More concretely, Warners had films based on Supergirl, Green Lantern Corps and Static Shock expected in the next few years, plus a J.J. Abrams-produced Black Superman film from writer Ta-Nehisi Coates. Development has slowed, with none of those features attaching directors.

Some key collaborators have received assurances their projects are safe. The Suicide Squad filmmaker James Gunn has multiple projects in development at DC, including season two of Peacemaker, which is moving forward. Insiders say Blue Beetle, starring Xolo Maridueña as DC’s first Latino superhero to topline a movie, is also on track for its August 2023 release date. After Batgirl‘s cancellation, observers had feared for the project, given that it at one time was slated for HBO Max before being upgraded to theatrical. The studio is also moving full steam ahead with a sequel to Joker, with Lady Gaga confirming her casting the morning of the WBD earnings call.
Work has kept up on The Flash, which has been testing well. Miller participated in regularly scheduled additional photography over the summer, apparently without incident, before being charged with burglary — their third arrest this year — on Aug. 7 in Vermont. Still, neither DC nor Zaslav has indicated the film will move from its June 2023 release date, though insiders say the studio is evaluating all options.

Black Canary Standalone Movie Still in Development at HBO Max
By Matt Webb Mitovich / August 9 2022 
https://tvline.com/2022/08/09/black-canary-movie-status-hbo-max-jurnee-smollett/

In the wake of Warner Bros. Discovery abruptly pulling the plug on the nearly complete, Leslie Grace-starring Batgirl movie, a spokesperson for Warner Bros. Pictures confirms for TVLine that the Black Canary standalone movie that was first announced a year ago remains in development at the streamer.
No further details on Black Canary, including its current timetable, are available at this time.

Green Lantern Series 'Very Much Alive' at HBO Max — Plus, a Status Report on the Streamer's Other DC Heroes
https://tvline.com/lists/green-lantern-status-release-date-hbo-max/ 

But an HBO Max spokesperson told TVLine on Tuesday that the streamer’s Green Lantern series is “very much alive” and “definitely moving forward.” (That said, the ambitious production might not realistically bow until 2024, I’m hearing.)
Where stand HBO Max’s other DC series, including Titans, Harley Quinn and others? In short, TVLine hears that while DC may be making some tough calls as it carefully considers a 10-year film plan, HBO Max’s IP-driven, DC-based fare remains a huge priority.

Edited by tv echo
52 minutes ago, tv echo said:

DC Films “Reset” Adds More Confusion for Warner Bros.’ Slate
BY AARON COUCH     AUGUST 9, 2022 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/batgirl-cancellation-upcoming-dc-movies-1235196017/ 

Black Canary Standalone Movie Still in Development at HBO Max
https://tvline.com/2022/08/09/black-canary-movie-status-hbo-max-jurnee-smollett/

Green Lantern Series 'Very Much Alive' at HBO Max — Plus, a Status Report on the Streamer's Other DC Heroes
https://tvline.com/lists/green-lantern-status-release-date-hbo-max/ 

They can’t even keep their excuses straight without undermining themselves every few days. They are moving away from original streaming films which apparently means shelving a completed movie but not one that hasn’t even begun filming.
It’s about “protecting” the brand which apparently will be hurt by a lower tier character in an only okay straight to streaming movie but not by one of their biggest characters in a tent pole being played by an accused predator who is hiding from the police. GIF by Vulture.com

From ‘Blonde’ to ‘Star Wars,’ Hollywood Needs to Accept Actors’ Accents (Column)
Eric Kohn   Aug 13, 2022
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/08/blonde-backlash-accent-hollywood-1234750773/ 

Last week’s column on the “Batgirl” situation elicited some compelling responses. I’m including one, from an actor who appeared in a minor role in the film but requested anonymity, below:

I felt a considerable amount of comfort (and sincere sadness) reading your excellent article and the examination of this whole nightmare. The multiple streaming avenues and their vague guarantees appear anything but secure.

I am very offended by what happened and feel terrible for the directors and Leslie Grace, who were all wonderful to work with, as well as all of the technicians. It was an enormous, rewarding challenge to make this movie during Covid, and during the cold weather in Glasgow.

None of these things matter to an imbecile like [Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav]. His cowardice is breathtaking. I am glad I got to participate and I wish the best for all those involved — except the suits at Warner Brothers. But they all get replaced sooner than later.

Anonymous

Edited by tv echo

From ‘Blonde’ to ‘Star Wars,’ Hollywood Needs to Accept Actors’ Accents (Column)

Disagree. Depending on the part, actors should adapt their accents to the character.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Depending on the part, actors should adapt their accents to the character.

The article never states otherwise.

It does discuss how so many actors are not native English speakers, and that Hollywood should challenge its traditional standards by embracing natural accents.  Since so much about film revolves around artistic expression, it's only fitting in my view.  There are so many talented performers out there whose abilities shouldn't go to waste just because they speak with accents.  Historical or biographical accuracy is important but it's not everything.  Especially in film and storytelling.

Batgirl Director Tried to Salvage Cancelled Movie With His Smartphone
By Russ Milheim   Aug 23, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/batgirl-movie-cancelled-salvage-smartphone 

In an interview translated from French with Skript, Bilall Fallah, one of the directors for the recently canceled Batgirl movie, revealed that his fellow director, Adil El Arbi, tried to get him to salvage some of the footage on his phone.

Sadly, when Fallah went on the server, "everything was gone," including all of the scenes with Michael Keaton's Batman:

"No, we have nothing. Adil called and told me, 'Go ahead! Shoot everything on your phone!' I went on the server... Everything was gone. We were [like]... 'F**ing shit!'... We did not [even] keep [the scenes] with Batman in it."
"The guys from Warner Bros. told us it was not a talent problem on our part or the actress [Leslie Grace], or even the quality of the movie. We were right in the middle of editing. There was a lot of work to get done, so it was not like the movie was finished! Warner Bros. told us the cancellation was a strategic change, a shifting in management so they could save some bucks."

Shazam 2 is seriously the only DC property I have been eagerly anticipating in all their slates of releases. And the original was the only DCEU film I adored from beginning to end and felt like WB knew what they were doing. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if in February in gets Batgirled.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

‘Aquaman,’ ‘Shazam!’ Sequels Push Back Release Dates
BY BORYS KIT, PAMELA MCCLINTOCK    AUGUST 24, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/aquaman-shazm-sequel-release-dates-1235191860/#recipient_hashed=4099e28fd37d67ae86c8ecfc73a6b7b652abdcdb75a184f8cf1f8015afde10e9 

The James Wan-directed Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom has been pushed back more than eight months, from March 17, 2023, to Dec. 25, 2023, the studio announced Wednesday.
Also moving is Shazam! sequel Fury of the Gods, which was meant to come out in December of this year. It has landed on Aquaman 2′s old date, March 17, 2023.

The Hollywood Reporter first reported earlier this month that the two movies were likely to move — including Aquaman moving to Christmas — as new owner Warner Bros. Discovery looks to spread out the marketing and distribution costs associated with releasing a studio tentpole. When asked at the time about the pending release date changes, a spokesperson for Warners declined comment.

DC Intrigue: ‘Lego’ Franchise Producer Dan Lin In Pole Position For Top Spot – The Dish
By Anthony D'Alessandro, Mike Fleming Jr     August 25, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/08/dc-films-dan-lin-david-zaslav-1235100644/ 

EXCLUSIVE: We are hearing from several sources this afternoon that former Warner Bros executive Dan Lin’s name is one of those in the mix for the top spot at DC Films.

The sense around town is that he has a pole position feel to him, and like Marvel boss Kevin Feige, brings the best of both worlds: Lin is a franchise producer of such movies as It, Sherlock Holmes, the Lego franchise, and big branded titles like Aladdin. And even better, he’s a former Warner Bros studio executive. He’s the kind of guy that Warner Bros Discovery CEO David Zaslav would savor, Lin being a Harvard Business School MBA grad. Another plus: Former Warner Bros Motion Picture Boss Alan Horn-turned-current Zaslav consigliere was a mentor to Lin.
As has occurred with this search, other names are being discussed, but Deadline is hearing that Lin’s interested in the position. He has a production company in Rideback, and a deal with the producer would entail a possible buyout of that by Warners. Todd Phillips’ name was bandied about, as Zaslav loves him. But the filmmaker’s focus is strictly on prepping his next directing gig, DC’s Joker: Folie à Deux, the sequel to the highest-grossing R-rated Oscar-winning film of all time, which made $1.07 billion.
One source tells us no formal offers have been made to Lin. We’ll see how this all plays out.

From ‘Batgirl’ Fallout to Rebooting ‘Superman’: All the Landmines Facing the Next DC Chief
By Adam B. Vary, Brent Lang   August 29, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/batgirl-ezra-miller-superman-next-dc-head-warner-bros-discovery-1235353666/ 

Cancelling “Batgirl” may have made sense from a dollars and cents perspective. Zaslav is committed to making streaming movies, for a price, and “Batgirl” with its $90 million budget was thought too expensive to fit nicely into that mold. The film also, sources say, wasn’t in good enough shape to justify the $50 million needed to market and release it in theaters. So, now Zaslav gets a tax write-off. Successful comic book universes, however, aren’t run by accountants. You need great filmmakers, visionary writers and talented stars. That’s a group that may not be feeling so hot about all things Warner Bros. Discovery. To thrive, the next DC chief will need to restore relationships with talent who fear that their next project could go the way of “Batgirl” and get rudely jettisoned.

Newly minted Warner Bros. Pictures chiefs Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy have been working to ameliorate the situation, possibly by finding a new project for “Batgirl” star Leslie Grace and the film’s directors Bilall Fallah and Adil El Arbi. However, trust with the wider talent community has been broken. Repairing it will take a lot longer than breaking it did.  
And that’s an issue, because “The Flash,” which every exec who has seen it will tell you is really good, is intended to clean up all the narrative threads left dangling by the DCU’s stop-and-start approach to cinematic universe building. The film is using time travel and the multiverse to reset the DC timeline from what had been started with 2013’s “Man of Steel” and set it on a new course. If the film does come out, however, will that plan even hold, or will it be a kind of swan song before an even harder reset button is hit?  
“The Flash” was intended to usher in a whole new era for the DCU, but now “Aquaman 2,” which was originally intended to pre-date that film, is coming after it. It’s possible that there could be some “Aquaman 2”-related concessions to cinematic timeline adjustments. But there may be some ongoing tweaking. Michael Keaton was originally supposed to show up as Batman at the end of “Aquaman 2,” following up on the character’s return in “The Flash.” But now that Ben Affleck is also slated to appear in the Atlantis-set adventure, that may be one former Batman too many.  
Privately, studio insiders have lamented that “Zack Snyder’s Justice League” never should’ve happened. Rather than quiet the unceasing online campaigning to #ReleasetheSnyderCut, the four-hour HBO Max feature only further entrenched the vocal and extremely online “Snyderverse” fanbase in opposition to the leadership at the studio in general and at DC in particular.  

Warner Bros Holding ‘Batgirl’ Screenings For Cast And Crew On Lot This Week
By Justin Kroll    August 24, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/08/warner-bros-batgirl-2-1235099720/

While a majority of people will never get a chance to see the Batgirl movie Warner Bros shelved earlier this month, multiple sources confirmed to Deadline that screenings are being held on the Warners lot this week for a select few. It is believed that cast and crew who worked on the film along with reps and studio execs were given invites to the screenings that began Wednesday and will go throughout the week.

Ivory Aquino Asks WBD CEO David Zaslav To “Consider Releasing ‘Batgirl'”; However, That’s Unlikely
By Anthony D'Alessandro    August 25, 2022 
https://deadline.com/2022/08/actress-ivory-aquino-to-wbd-ceo-david-zaslav-consider-releasing-batgirl-however-thats-unlikely-1235100407/

In the course of 12 tweets Thursday, Batgirl actress Ivory Aquino, who plays Alysia Yeoh, Barbara Gordon’s roommate and the first major trans character in a live-action DC movie, expressed her grief to Warner Bros Discovery CEO David Zaslav over the studio’s cancellation of the film, and pleaded with him to “Consider releasing Batgirl.“

However, despite news of rumored screenings on the Warner Bros lot, which some close to the film are baffled by, we hear that a decision to revive Batgirl is unlikely. Warner Bros Discovery has already written the production, budgeted at roughly $80 million, off its books, and for the studio to turn around and sink more millions into it is impossible from all accounting maneuvers.

In speaking with those close to the film about those on-the-lot screenings, some were jarred: They didn’t get an invite, not to mention the film has no VFX, no music track. “What is there to watch?!” exclaimed one source.

While Batgirl was shelved forever on August 2, the sting continues to permeate throughout the creative community. Is it worth for reps to commit their clients to Warner Bros movies if they run the risk of getting killed during post? That’s what’s on everyone’s minds, and is an uphill battle for the motion picture studio.

However, WBD’s killing Batgirl stemmed from various things: being upset with the early director’s cut and trying to maintain any kind of platinum prestige with the DC brand; taking advantage of an accounting trick as the new merger tries to reap billions in cost savings; and not disrupting the DC continuum that’s being laid out in the upcoming June 2023 movie The Flash. 
Many in town consider the axing of Batgirl to be a considerable step back for Warner Bros when it comes to making movies and series about inclusion and featuring diversity in front of and behind the camera. The newly run Zaslav studio also unplugged the second season of the much binged and critically acclaimed Latinx comedy series Gordita Chronicles. 

On further being upset with the fallout of Batgirl, Aquino says, “My heart goes out to @LeslieGrace and our beloved directors and entire crew & cast who spent months dedicating their all to this endeavor. Leslie checked in on me the day we found out of the shelving and only had words of comfort and support. I’ve dared not ask since if she’s spent nights holding back tears like I have because she has had to be the face of our Batgirl family and has had to put on a brave face as a way of taking care of us the way she gracefully steered our film.”
Batgirl directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah said in a recent interview with French outlet Skript that the studio prevented them from accessing the pic’s footage after unplugging the movie during post-production. Deadline first told you that the duo first learned about the pic’s axing during El Arbi’s wedding in Morocco.

Edited by tv echo

Summer TV Winners & Losers: Epic Fantasy, Late-Night Diversity, Marvel, OMITB, The Boys, The Bear and More
By Team TVLine / September 5 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/summer-tv-winners-losers-best-worst-shows-decisions/

👎 LOSER: Warner Bros. Discovery
Woof, where to start…? A nearly complete Batgirl movie bound for HBO Max?  Shelved, possibly to be destroyed. A live-action Wonder Twins movie for HBO Max? “Shape of… a cancelled project!” J.J. Abrams’ $200 million sci-fi drama for HBO? Snuffed. Dozens of series that were quietly existing on HBO Max? Disappeared. More than a half-dozen animated projects, including Bruce Timm’s highly anticipated Batman Caped Crusader? Left to scramble for new homes. Brian Stelter’s Reliable Sources on CNN? Silenced. At best, parent company Warner Bros. Discovery can be characterized as ruthlessly pragmatic, as boss man David Zaslav labors to winnow billions in debt.

Edited by tv echo

DC Chief Search Continues as Dan Lin No Longer in Talks for Top Job
BY BORYS KIT, AARON COUCH    SEPTEMBER 6, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/dc-film-tv-talks-break-down-dan-lin-1235212975/ 

Dan Lin will not be accepting the keys to the DC kingdom. The producer was in negotiations to assume the expansive role encompassing film and television for the comic book brand, but talks broke down in recent days.

Sources say a number of factors complicated talks with Warner Bros. Discovery, with a chief sticking point being Lin’s commitments to Rideback, his prolific production company, and Rideback Rise, his new nonprofit endeavor. Negotiations went into salary and vision, but Rideback remained a complication. One scenario envisioned WBD taking an equity stake in the company, although the size was always unclear.
The DC job is a top priority for Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav, who has vowed to reshape the comic book brand with a 10-year plan he hopes will allow it to rival the Kevin Feige-led Marvel Studios.

Walter Hamada has led DC Films since 2018 but is expected to leave his post following Zaslav hiring a new DC boss. Hamada is said to have been on the brink of exiting the job last month after the controversial scrapping of Batgirl. The breakdown of talks with Lin comes as DC has pushed several of its tentpoles back, with Shazam! Fury of the Gods moved from December of this year to March 2023, and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom departing March 2023 for the end of that year. DC also has The Flash due out in June 2023, whose star, Ezra Miller, has been at the center of personal and legal controversies this year.

‘Batgirl’ Shelving Was “Blown Out Of Proportion” By Press, Warner Bros Discovery CFO Says: “Media Likes To Talk About Media”
By Dade Hayes   September 8, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/09/batgirl-movie-shelving-blown-out-of-proportion-warner-bros-discovery-cfo-1235111790/ 

The surprising decision last month to shelve completed DC movie Batgirl was “blown out of proportion” by the press, according to Warner Bros Discovery CFO Gunnar Wiedenfels.

Speaking at the Bank of America Media, Communications and Entertainment Conference, the exec acknowledged the intense scrutiny on the new regime since the completion in April of the $43 billion merger. Asked whether the company’s reputation in the talent community and agency business had taken a hit based on Batgirl and a number of other cancellations of HBO Max shows, he said it had not. “Media likes to talk about media, I guess,” he observed. “We have healthy relationships with talent, and we are offering one of the best platforms for anyone in the creative space.”

Moderator Jessica Reif Erlich, a BofA analyst who is a noted bull on WBD shares, said the Batgirl move seemed to her like a “prudent business decision.” She asked if it represented a reset of the strategy for DC, and Wiedenfels replied, “No. … There’s a new team coming in, forming a view, providing a financial framework to assess these things.” He added, “The focus is, on a go-forward basis here, we’re spending more than ever in the history of the two legacy companies on content. We will continue to make significant investments. We’ll make them differently, with a different financial rigor and a different focus on full utilization across all platforms, et cetera, but this is the lifeblood of the company and we’ll continue to be investing in it.”

Critics of the Batgirl move, including but not limited to the creative team behind it, noted the awkward optics of ditching a film starring a Latina actress (Leslie Grace) in the lead role. That element didn’t surface in the conference discussion, and as far as the future steward of DC, Wiedenfels only noted in passing that CEO David Zaslav “is looking” for a new chief. (After talks were held with Dan Lin about the post, the parties decided not to move forward.)

Brendan Fraser Reacts to ‘The Whale’ Oscar Buzz and ‘Disappointing’ ‘Batgirl’ Cancellation
By Clayton Davis    September 12, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/awards/awards/brendan-fraser-batgirl-axed-disappointing-whale-oscar-buzz-1235369672/ 

As the world roots for Fraser’s rise and return in the industry, he also discussed acting in the “Batgirl” movie, which was recently axed by Warner Bros., something he was “disappointed” by.

“The fans really wanted to see this film made. Leslie Grace is a dynamo,” Fraser said. “The movie was shot and conceived for a smaller screen. In this age that we’ve come out of now between streaming service versus theatrical release, it wound up being the canary in the coal mine. What did we learn from this? Work with trusted filmmakers, like Darren.”

Edited by tv echo

Warner Bros. Calls Off DC FanDome Event for 2022

It looks like a lot of the stuff that would have been at FanDome is going to be at NY Comic Con.

It makes sense since the bigger conventions are back, but you'd think they'd want to keep their own branded event too.

5 hours ago, Trini said:

It makes sense since the bigger conventions are back, but you'd think they'd want to keep their own branded event too.

Their own branded event also means they have to pay all the costs which appears to be a big problem for them right now.