Type keyword(s) to search

The DC Extended Universe: To Thanagar and Beyond!

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Based on what I've heard rumored about the plan for Flashpoint (rebooting the DCEU, killing off Cavill's Superman in absentia and replacing him with Supergirl), I'd just as soon Warner Bros shelve it and cut their losses.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 4/8/2022 at 1:21 PM, Starfish35 said:

From IGN, whose original story quoted the Rolling Stone article:

Update: A source with the studio has rebuked the original report from Rolling Stone, telling IGN that no such emergency meeting took place and dismissing the claims as exaggeration.

Yeah; I was skeptical of that report. I mean, it's easy enough to assume that the producers etc. are discussing the situation - and I'm sure they are - but people also love rumormongering these days. If anything, it should be Ezra's managers, etc. having emergency meetings.

Edited by Trini
spelling, d'oh!
  • Love 2
On 4/8/2022 at 4:43 AM, Starfish35 said:

They really should have cut their losses with Ezra a long time ago.  I know hindsight is 20/20, but I bet WB/DC is really wishing they had recast right about now.

After watching Fantastic Beasts 3

Spoiler

That franchise has dodged a bullet by killing their character off. Sure they may not have officially died on screen but it was clear the character was dying so if their is a number 4 one simple sentence about the character's death is all that's needed. Makes me wonder if BTS knew and requested the character be killed. Since they are already dealing with issues with JK and the Johnny Depp/Amber Heard saga

Leslie Grace Teases ‘Batgirl’ Is ‘Insane,’ Says She’s Already Talking to Filmmakers About a Sequel
By Marc Malkin     April 14, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/film/columns/leslie-grace-batgirl-haagen-dazs-1235232986/

Spoiler

Leslie Grace is home in the U.S. after spending months overseas shooting “Batgirl,” the upcoming HBO Max film adaptation of the iconic crime fighter. She takes on the role of Barbara Gordon/Batgirl in the film, co-directed by Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah, with a cast that includes J.K. Simmons as her father Commissioner Jim Gordon and Brendan Fraser as villain Firefly. Michael Keaton makes his return as Batman 30 years after his first appearance as the Caped Crusader.
When we talked in September at the MTV VMAs you hadn’t started shooting yet, but you told me that your Batgirl was going to be a “badass.” Did the badassery live up to what you were expecting?
She definitely exceeds what I thought. I had to summon up some things in me that I didn’t even know were there. It was an incredible learning experience to be on set with also action veterans like Brendan Fraser, and soak up it all up. It was so hard because he’s our villain and I’m not supposed to like him but he’s such a huge teddy bear. He is one of the nicest people that I’ve ever met. In our fight sequences the way he would just hit marks, it came from all of his experience. You can’t improvise that kind of experience. There’s some crazy stuff that happens. There’s lots of fire because as everyone knows by now, he plays Firefly. There’s crazy fire. There’s crazy stunts, crazy drops. She’s a biker chick, so you’re going to see her do a bunch of badassery.
What was it like seeing Michael Keaton walk on set?
It was wild for everyone. Our directors were like two little kids. They’re legit Batman nerds openly. He’s Batman, man! I couldn’t even believe that I was sharing space with Batman. I want to say more, but I can’t. It was insane, surreal, incredible. It was the stuff of dreams really. And J.K. Simmons playing my dad. That’s my pop. I was so nervous because all I could hear in my head was his voice in “Whiplash.” Like what would he do and say if I didn’t get something right? [Laughs]. Then we became the best of friends. And just he told me all his great stories of starting out and being a waiter and working in a pizza shop and trying to be an actor and doing theater.
When do you start shooting “Batgirl 2”?
[Laughs] We got to see this first one first. But there’s definitely some talks about what it could be. I’ve seen some of what we’ve shot, obviously in the playback and stuff like that, and it’s insane. We’ve already been talking about where do we take this from here because there’s so much that happens in this film. There are a lot of different themes in the plot that we touch on. It’s not just the action. There’s a love story. There’s this father-daughter relationship. There’s looking at the world through a lens that isn’t just black and white and seeing the color and the spectrum between things.

Susan Sarandon to Play Villain Victoria Kord in DC’s ‘Blue Beetle’ (Exclusive)
Umberto Gonzalez | April 14, 2022 
https://www.thewrap.com/susan-sarandon-victoria-kord-blue-beetle/ 

Academy Award winner Susan Sarandon has closed a deal to play villain Victoria Kord in “Blue Beetle,” DC Films’ first superhero movie starring a Latino character, TheWrap has exclusively learned. Victoria Kord is a new character created for the movie.

Sharon Stone was previously in talks for the role.
“Blue Beetle” is set to be released theatrically on Aug. 18, 2023.

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, BetterButter said:

A Wonder Twins show starring actors who look nothing like the Wonder Twins. Why would anyone think that’s a good idea? What a strange show to fastrack while the Green Lantern series is moving at a snail’s pace. 
I find it really irritating that DC announcing projects means next to nothing. 

Edited by Guest

It does seem like they're missing a prime opportunity to cast Asian actors as leads based on Zan and Jayna's cartoon appearance. And please, no one try to tell me they did race blind casting, I've seen KJ Apa's "acting" on Riverdale.

• Love 3

It's not even so much that they don't resemble the characters, to me, it feels like a bad case of stuntcasting. (With Apa at least; I don't know the actress.) And yes, a missed opportunity to cast API actors. (Yes, I'm aware that Apa has some Samoan heritage; but he's white-passing, and they clearly cast the actress to match him.)

Here are the details...

Ezra Miller Arrested for Assault in Hawaii, Weeks After First Arrest
By Jordan Moreau    April 19, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/ezra-miller-arrested-hawaii-1235236133/ 

Ezra Miller has been arrested for second-degree assault in Hawaii, less than four weeks after the “Flash” and “Fantastic Beasts” star was arrested for disorderly conduct and harassment in Hilo, Hawaii.

Miller was arrested early Tuesday morning after an incident at a private residence in Pāhoa. Patrol officers responded to a report of an assault that occurred at a get-together in the Leilani Estates subdivision in lower Puna. According to the Hawaii Police Department, Miller allegedly became irate after being asked to leave and threw a chair, striking a 26-year-old woman on the forehead and resulting in an approximate half-inch cut. The woman refused treatment for the injury.

Police arrested Miller at 1:30 a.m. after the actor was located on the roadway during a traffic stop at the intersection of Highway 130 and Kukula Street in Kea‘au. Miller was released at 4:05 a.m. after conferring with the County Prosecutor’s Office, pending further investigation. The investigation remains active.
According to Hawaii Police Assistant Chief Kenneth Quiocho, Miller had been the source of 10 police calls in Hilo since March 7.

Edited by tv echo
3 hours ago, dmeets said:

I think it may be time for that emergency meeting after all...

I can see it now - plot twist!  Something's wrong with his powers, so he can't stop himself from vibrating his face and keeping it blurry all the time.  Plus the vibration is affecting his voice too!  Oh, and unlike certain other heroes he's going to keep his cowl on all the time.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

I can see it now - plot twist!  Something's wrong with his powers, so he can't stop himself from vibrating his face and keeping it blurry all the time.  Plus the vibration is affecting his voice too!  Oh, and unlike certain other heroes he's going to keep his cowl on all the time.

Oooh. That's more creative than my prediction, which was they'll just say "Because Flashpoint *shrug*"

• Love 2

Warner Bros.' DC line-up from CinemaCon 2022, April 25-28, 2022 (in Las Vegas)...

FRKe2XVVEAAdfkU?format=jpg

From CinemaCon schedule:

TUESDAY, 26 APRIL
4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
WARNER BROS. PICTURES INVITES YOU TO “THE BIG PICTURE”, A SPECIAL PRESENTATION OF ITS UPCOMING SLATE
Hosted by:
Toby Emmerich, Chairman, Warner Bros. Pictures Group
Jeff Goldstein, President, Domestic Distribution
Andrew Cripps, President, International Theatrical Distribution

Edited by tv echo
2 minutes ago, starri said:

I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been some....discussion about releasing Flash.

They've got months to deal with that. Despite speculations, this has already been filmed; it's going to get released on way or another. The date (whether it sticks or not) is already set.  Plus, new footage distracts from the mess with Miller.

Also WB has other films that aren't going to be PR disasters to sell:

Presentations for Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom and Shazam: Fury of the Gods at CinemaCon:

Warner Bros brought a lot of DC — a lot — to its CinemaCon session Tuesday. In addition to a trailer for The Flash and Dwayne Johnson showing up to push DC League of Super-Pets and Black Adam, the cast of Shazam: Fury of the Gods stopped by with a trailer, as did James Wan who had a sizzle reel of Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom. 

Trailers haven't been officially publicly released yet.

CinemaCon 2022: Warner Bros. Brings All The Footage & Then Some Part 1
Posted on April 27, 2022 by Kaitlyn Booth
https://bleedingcool.com/movies/cinemacon-2022-warner-bros-brings-all-the-footage-then-some-part-1/ 

We jumped into another DC movie right after Wonka, and that was The Flash. This was more early footage, and no one brought up the issues with Ezra Miller. The footage was just introduced, and then we moved right along to show it off. Some of the footage is stuff that we saw during DC FanDome, but we did see a lot more. There are plenty of hints that Barry is going to do something dumb and mess up the timeline. We got a great shot of Sasha Calle as Supergirl, some scenes that show how Barry's speed will be shown in this movie, but the big thing that drew a reaction from the crowd was the appearance of Michael Keaton. We saw a long-haired, scruffy-looking version of him from behind. We find out it's Keaton Batman because a door opens to reveal seven [I think?] suits and one of the logos is black with yellow. We also get another shot of Keaton cleaned up without the cowl, saying, "you want to get nuts? Let's get nuts." We still have no idea how they will approach Miller, but the movie still has a June 23, 2023 release date.

CinemaCon 2022: Warner Bros. Brings All The Footage & Then Some Part 2
Posted on April 27, 2022 by Kaitlyn Booth
https://bleedingcool.com/movies/cinemacon-2022-warner-bros-brings-all-the-footage-then-some-part-2/ 

Welcome to part two of our recap of the Warner Bros. panel at CinemaCon. Since this panel was two hours of pretty much nothing but a bunch of new footage, this recap got long, so see the previously published part one for the rest of our coverage of this presentation. It was time to dive into more DC movies, and we moved on to Shazam: Fury of the Gods. We had several cast members come out and talk about how they are planning to preserve the previous movie's tone in the sequel, which is good because the first one hit the right tone. We also found out that there will be a time jump since so many of the kid actors shot up like weeds. We saw a trailer with a lot more of the adult versions of the characters, and the one-liners look fantastic. This is one of the few movies that got moved up recently and is now coming out on December 12th.
We jumped from that straight into a behind-the-scenes featurette from Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom. We find out that Black Manta has come into greater power, and Arthur and Orm will have to team up to take him down. The VFX in the behind-the-scenes featurette was incomplete, but there were some squid robots that made me think of The Matrix. Director James Wan talked about elevating this to the next level and about how a new rigging and way of shooting really opened up the possibilities for him as a director. It will be released on March 17, 2023.
Dwayne Johnson came out to close out the Warner Bros. presentation starting with DC League of Super-Pets to end the night. Johnson praised the animation style and said that a lot of this movie depends on the dynamic between him and Kevin Hart. We got a new trailer with some new footage as well. We got a chance to see some of what appears to kick off the movie; there was some sort of weird little creature that threw kryptonite at Superman and captures him. Many people seem down on this movie, but it looks like a Saturday morning cartoon, and kids are probably going to adore it. It will be released on July 29th.
Finally, Black Adam was our closer. Johnson talked about how this movie has been a dream of his for over a decade but that he and Warner Bros. didn't really see a reason to rush if they didn't need to. He referred to Black Adam as the Dirty Harry of the superhero world, and then we got a trailer. We got a chance to see some more of Dr. Fate, who looks awesome, and we also got to see a little more of Hawkman, Atom Smasher, and Cyclone. This movie will be auditioning members of the Justice Society of America, and at one point, someone says to Black Adam that "heroes don't don't kill people," and he replies with, "well, I do." So this will be a moral grey area of the DC universe. The panel ended after revealing a ton of stuff and giving us a lot to look forward to this year and next.

Edited by tv echo

Websites I don't know are claiming that the Wonder Twins movie has been cancelled. It's making the rounds on social media but I haven't seen anything from Deadline or Hollywood Reporter so it's still officially a rumor right now. My worry is that the new people in charge will cancel the Black Canary movie since they've already made the, IMO, bad decision to not give final seasons to Batwoman or Legends Of Tomorrow.

1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

My worry is that the new people in charge will cancel the Black Canary movie since they've already made the, IMO, bad decision to not give final seasons to Batwoman or Legends Of Tomorrow.

In that Variety article posted earlier about the changes coming it says that the new leadership wants to focus on second billed characters. They specifically named The Joker and Harley Quinn. If that’s true I think Black Canary has a good shot at being made since she was one of the things that worked best from Birds of Prey. That’s  one of the few choices made that actually made sense.

I wouldn’t go by what happened with Batwoman or LOT since both those shows have been struggling and the leadership behind the CW shows are problematic as a whole. 

The Wonder Twins thing is odd all around I wouldn’t be surprised if the new leadership has killed it. Anyone should have seen how controversial that casting announcement was going to be. 

16 minutes ago, Trini said:

When was a Black Canary movie greenlit??

Last August. 

(edited)

Black Canary Screenwriter Teases Work on HBO Max Movie
By JENNA ANDERSON - May 4, 2022
https://comicbook.com/dc/news/black-canary-screenwriter-misha-green-update-hbo-max-movie/ 

... It was announced last year that a Black Canary HBO Max movie is in development, which would see Smollett return to the role with her frequent Lovecraft Country and Underground collaborator Misha Green penning the script. A recent social media post from Green provided the first inkling in several months about Black Canary's status, with a binder covered with the character's logo being spotted in the background of one of her latest Instagram stories.

black-canary-movie-misha-green-instagram 

Green subsequently took to Twitter to respond to the fan who had made the image on the cover of her binder, revealing that it helps her set "the vibe [she's] aiming for every time [she] goes to write."

While there's no telling what this actually means with regards to the Black Canary film's status, it does seem to hint that work is quietly being done on the project. ....

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

By the way, if there wasn't already enough confusion over the new Black Canary movie being HBO Max (as opposed to theaters), now there is another similarly titled movie that has nothing to do with the DC character - an "action spy thriller" titled Canary Black starring Kate Beckinsale (Deadline article).

Edited by tv echo
On 4/26/2022 at 8:46 PM, starri said:

I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been some....discussion about releasing Flash.

Here you go! 'As Ezra Miller Scandals Mount, What Options Does Warner Bros. Have for ‘The Flash’?'

There's some info from "sources", but otherwsie, not really anything new; some common-sense reasoning and speculation similar to what has been discussed here (and elsewhere) about the situation.

The article did bring up Grant Gustin; I feel like WB is going to need his cameo to help sell the film. By the time it's released, Gustin will have been the face of The Flash for 10+ years and at least 200 episodes of TV.

• Love 1

I like Grant Gustin, but I'm doubtful about him influencing the film's reception to a noticeable degree. Despite being one of the top rated CW shows his gets what, 600,000 viewers to tune in each week? Even if every one of them goes to see the movie opening weekend, it won't be what makes the difference between success and failure.

• Love 1
(edited)

Warner Bros. Goes All In on Disney
MATTHEW BELLONI    June 2, 2022
https://puck.news/warner-bros-goes-all-in-on-disney/

So, Warner Bros. Discovery C.E.O. David Zaslav wants Warner Bros. to become Disney, and he thinks incoming film chiefs Mike De Luca and Pam Abdy can do for the Warners and New Line labels what Sean Bailey has done for the live-action Disney unit. That seems to be the takeaway from yesterday’s long-predicted exit of Warners head Toby Emmerich for a producing deal, and the announcement—also long-telegraphed—that Warners will be split into separate silos: live-action films from WB and New Line (De Luca/Abdy), family animation (T.B.D.), and DC superhero stuff (very T.B.D.), all with leaders reporting to Zaslav himself.   

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

For Warner Bros., a Leadership Change, a Polo Lounge Lunch, and Nagging Questions About DC Films’ Future
By Brent Lang, Matt Donnelly    June 7, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/warner-bros-dc-films-toby-emmerich-michael-de-luca-david-zaslav-1235286779/ 

On Friday, Toby Emmerich had a meal with Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy at the Polo Lounge, a hub of deal-making and power lunches, in a move that was clearly designed to send a signal of solidarity to Hollywood. The bread-breaking, which went down as show business players like producer Donald De Line and CAA agent Joel Lubin dined nearby, came just a day after Emmerich announced that he will step down as head of Warner Bros.’ film studio. De Luca, who worked with Emmerich back in the day at New Line, and Abdy will soon join the company, though in a reduced role; they will oversee Warner Bros. and New Line but will not have control over Warner Bros. Animation and DC Films.

But there might be more on the menu. De Luca and Abdy have told people they expect to have input in what DC does in film and television. However, Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav still hopes to find his answer to Kevin Feige, the guru who guided Marvel Studios to big-screen dominance for rival Disney. Zaslav already approached Emma Watts, a veteran Fox and Paramount executive, about the job, but the talks collapsed. Insiders say that no announcement about a DC chief is imminent.
The courtship of Watts means Walter Hamada, the current president of DC Films production, has an uncertain future, even though he remains under contract until 2023. Zaslav believes that DC is an under-utilized asset. He’s frustrated that its cinematic output has been inconsistent and that there hasn’t been sufficient long-term planning in terms of rolling out sequels and follow-ups to popular movies. Supporters of Hamada believe the executive hasn’t received enough credit. Under his leadership, the studio scored massive hits with “Aquaman” and “The Batman,” the latter earning the comic book label’s best reviews since Christopher Nolan’s “The Dark Knight.” They also note that DC has moved more aggressively into multi-platform storytelling, creating spinoff shows out of characters like Peacemaker and Penguin.

Whoever takes over the division will face challenges, including the fate of Superman. Henry Cavill, who played the part in “Man of Steel” and other films, is aging out of the role, and the studio has yet to finalize plans for the Superman film that was being developed with a script from acclaimed author Ta-Nehisi Coates.

Edited by tv echo