Type keyword(s) to search

The DC Extended Universe: To Thanagar and Beyond!

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Looks like I stopped scrolling at an ad and missed three projects. 

Booster Gold: An HBO Max series based on a unique, lesser-known hero created in 1986. Safran said of the series, “It’s about a loser from the future who uses basic future technology to come back to today and pretend to be a superhero.” Gunn described it as “imposter syndrome as superhero.”

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow: Taking its cues from the recent Tom King-written miniseries, this movie promises a different take than what most think of when Superman’s cousin comes to mind. “We will see the difference between Superman, who was sent to Earth and raised by loving parents from the time he was an infant, versus Supergirl, raised on a rock, a chip off of Krypton, and who watched everyone around her die and be killed in terrible ways for the first 14 years of her life and then come to Earth. She is much more hard-core and not the Supergirl we’re used to.”

Swamp Thing: A horror film that promises to close out the first part of the first chapter.

Hard-core Supergirl raised In miserable circumstances to contrast Clark’s supportive parents. Sad John Krasinski GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

5 hours ago, Dani said:

The Brave and the Bold: “This is the introduction of the DCU Batman,” said Gunn, “of Bruce Wayne, and also introduces our favorite Robin, Damian Wayne, who is a little son of a bitch.”

SIGH. That little shit could be written amazingly and played wonderfully and I will still hate him. I'd rather watch Bruce being a father to Dick, Jason, and Tim. Damian sucks so much.

I am looking forward to Booster Gold and Supergirl. My love for Tom King's writing knows no bounds and a show based on his Supergirl run should be great. If it's successful maybe they'll eventually adapt one of his Bat stories. ::fingers crossed::

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Yeah I can’t say any of this really interests me. Themyscira prequel series might be be interesting, but Game of Thrones style? Hard pass.  Batman and Robin….but with Damian? Really? And Damian is their favorite Robin?  Ok then.  🙄  And…

Exactly!  As for Waller, Peacemaker and Suicide Squad aren’t my thing, and I doubt this will be either.   No, I don’t see anything here that interests me.

HARD PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Dani said:

Looks like I stopped scrolling at an ad and missed three projects. 

Hard-core Supergirl raised In miserable circumstances to contrast Clark’s supportive parents. Sad John Krasinski GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

HARD PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

SIGH. That little shit could be written amazingly and played wonderfully and I will still hate him. I'd rather watch Bruce being a father to Dick, Jason, and Tim. Damian sucks so much.

Praise The Lord Applause GIF

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

Supergirl and Swamp Thing sound interesting.  I like Gunn's overall approach to the film universe.  Although I don't like his description of the Superman film, I'm glad they are starting fresh.

I found this interesting:

Gunn calls The Flash, directed by Andy Muschietti, “probably one of the greatest superhero movies ever made.”

Here’s the official announcement if anyone is interested. 

The emphasis that Damian is Bruce’s “actual son” was a choice that is likely to invoke some strong reactions.

I was going to say that I can’t believe they would include it without anyone realizing the implications. Then I remembered how they’ve handled everything else. 

12 hours ago, dmeets said:

I'm kind of getting the impression everyone's too afraid to fire Ezra until they've been cleared by a therapist, out of fear it'll push them over the edge.

That’s more generous than my thought that they are either trying to maintain leverage to avoid a bigger scandal before Flash is released or hoping to ride out of the controversy so they can stay in the role. 

45 minutes ago, Dani said:

The emphasis that Damian is Bruce’s “actual son” was a choice that is likely to invoke some strong reactions.

Wow.  That’s certainly a choice.  So the implication is that the others are not his “actual” children because they’re not blood-related?  Fantastic.  🙄

Wait a minute.  Is Grant Morrison the one who had Talia drugging Bruce in order to conceive Damian?  

The title of Chapter 1 - "Gods and Monsters" - sounds kinda Zack Snyder-ish. The new DCU slate also sounds iike it's going darker.

Some of the announced projects sound interesting to me and some not so much. Will have to wait and see how the movie or series is cast and executed.

It's possible that they may bring back Aquaman, Blue Beetle and/or even the Flash in order to inject some diversity into their new DCU, especially if they cast their "diamond characters" with all white actors. (That THR article said that the "Black Superman project" is still in "active development" but will be part of "DC Elseworlds.") With a multiverse, anything is possible.

Can't believe they're still considering keeping Ezra Miller.

Edited by tv echo

Still wish they'd released it...

Leslie Grace Loved Her Moments With Brendan Fraser on the 'Batgirl' Set
BY RYAN O'ROURKE     PUBLISHED 2 DAYS AGO
https://collider.com/batgirl-leslie-grace-brendan-fraser-comments/ 

During an interview with Collider's own Maggie Lovitt for How to Win Friends and Disappear People, Grace was asked about the sequences she most wished fans could've seen and, sure enough, they involved Fraser. While it was a blast for her to work on a film that boasted some impressive practical effects, the actress gave a lot of credit to her "sparring partner" Fraser for making it one of the more worthwhile experiences of her career. She noted how much fun it was to do fight scenes with him and all the care he showed her on set in between takes. The experience was something she plans to take with her as she continues her career, as she explains:

"I truly had one of [the best] experiences with Batgirl. In terms of the experience of shooting, we were all so excited for people to see a lot of the action, a lot of the practical shots we did with fire. Our movie was full of practical fire, which was really hard to shoot. Brendan [Fraser], our villain, our Firefly, he was just so outstanding and so happy that he's having this incredible moment—this Brenaissance as everyone says. He's amazing. He's one of the kindest people in the world, and I felt so blessed to have him as my sparring partner. We had so many amazing action scenes together where we were beating each other up, but hugging in between takes because he's just so sweet. So I would've loved people to see those moments, but you know what? You have the experience, and you keep on rolling, and I feel so blessed, all in all, that I have those memories and hopefully maybe in some future, some clips will arise and people will get to enjoy a little bit of it. But for now, we'll just have to keep it going as it going in comic folklore, I guess, with all of our memories and our stories while we can."

Edited by tv echo

Shelving Batgirl Was the Right Decision, Says New DC Studios Head Peter Safran: ‘It Would Have Hurt DC’
By William Earl   January 31, 2023
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/batgirl-movie-shelved-dc-studios-head-peter-safran-1235506921/

“Batgirl’s a character that inevitably we will include in our story,” he said. “On the Batgirl front, it’s not about late in the process of the film getting canceled. I saw the movie, and there are a lot of incredibly talented people in front of and behind the camera on that film. But that film was not releasable, and it happens sometimes. That film was not releasable. I actually think that [president and CEO of Warner Bros. Discovery David] Zaslav and the team made a very bold and courageous decision to cancel it because it would have hurt DC. It would have hurt those people involved.”

“I think that they really stood up to support DC,” he continued. “The characters, the story, the quality of all of that. I spoke to Adil [El Arbi] and Bilall [Fallah] — the directors — last week, we were chatting. We’d love to be in business with all those folks. Christina Hodson wrote it. Some people are already back in business with us. As I said, a lot of talented people were involved, but the film just was not releasable. It would not have been able to compete in the theatrical marketplace; it was built for the small screen. So, again, I think it was not an easy decision, but they made the right decision by shelving it.”

James Gunn Debunks DCEU 'Reset' Rumor Following New Announcements
By Nathan Johnson    February 2, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/james-gunn-dceu-slate-reset-announcements 

DC Studios co-CEO James Gunn recently posted a photo to Instagram where a fan left a comment asking about how much of the DCU will be reset by the events of the upcoming film, The Flash.
Gunn then replied to the fan with his own comment, setting the record straight that The Flash "resets many things," but "not all things." Gunn also revealed in his comment that "some characters" from the DCEU will still continue to be a part of the universe despite some fans claiming that no character or actor from the current franchise would be brought back:

"Nope. Flash resets many things, not all things. Some characters remain the same some do not."

Edited by tv echo

I'm catching up on YouTube and Hector from Heroes Reforged has a good theory about The Brave And The Bold. He points out that the show and comic had Bats teaming up with/fighting against different DC characters every episode/issue and he theorizes the movie may be used to introduce a bunch to the DC Movieverse before their own projects get announced/released. He reminds how that little shit Damian showing up means Bats has been around for at least a decade which then leads to his suggestion of a sequence where Bruce is hesitant to have Little Shit be a Robin and Dick* point out how he teams up all the time with a bunch of quick cuts to: Green Arrow, Zatanna, Plastic Man, etc. Such a sequence could also show Bats working with Dick, Jason, Tim, and Stephanie when they each wore Robin's cape to establish them in the DC Movieverse, the Bat family history of said verse, and set up Little Shit joining their ranks. He thinks the title is deliberate for this reason as the movie could have been called Batman And Son if its only purpose was the father son relationship. He may turn out to be wrong entirely but it's a solid suggestion and would make the movie more appealing to me at least. Also the Bat lore is so ingrained with mainstream audiences that it would be the best choice to introduce multiple other DC characters if they wanted.

*Hector also pointed out how all we know is Little Shit will been a feature in the movie and suggests/hopes an older Bat Family character like Dick may also be included. He is Bruce's favorite of his found family and someone Bruce will actually listen to so it could work. Also if I have to see Little Shit join the movie verse then the least they could do is include Dick Grayson in some capacity as well.

On 2/5/2023 at 5:50 PM, scarynikki12 said:

*Hector also pointed out how all we know is Little Shit will been a feature in the movie and suggests/hopes an older Bat Family character like Dick may also be included. He is Bruce's favorite of his found family and someone Bruce will actually listen to so it could work. Also if I have to see Little Shit join the movie verse then the least they could do is include Dick Grayson in some capacity as well.

Gunn did say the movie is the introduction of the Bat Family so I do expect we will get Dick and at least some of the others. 

Which is the one good thing I expect to happen but I can’t help feeling that we are going to be robbed of the proper development of those dynamics. I can’t see a movie is going to have the ability to do all of that justice and introduce all the characters necessary even if the writers are inclined to go there and not just focus on Bruce’s “actual son”.

DC Announces First Two Actors Starring In Rebooted Movie Slate
By Richard Nebens    Feb 4, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/dc-actors-rebooted-movie-slate 

1.) Viola Davis as Amanda Waller in Waller
As noted by DC's official website, Gunn confirmed that Viola Davis will reprise her role as Amanda Waller in her own HBO Max solo series entitled Waller. This will be her third time working with Gunn after teaming up on both The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker, both of which features Davis in a prominent role.
"Viola Davis is coming back as her character, Amanda Waller. This is also going to have some of the Peacemaker team in it as regulars on the show. This basically follows up 'Peacemaker'. We have two great creatives working on it: Christal Henry, who was a writer on 'Watchmen', and Jeremy Carver who created 'Doom Patrol.' They have this incredibly marvelous story worked out that I think is really fantastic."
2.) Sean Gunn as Weasel in Creature Commandos
In the comments of a separate post on his personal Instagram account, Gunn confirmed that his brother, Sean Gunn, would reprise his role as Weasel from The Suicide Squad in the animated Creature Commandos show on HBO Max.
"What we’re doing with the DCU is we’re having animation tied directly into live action. Television, movies and games all intertwine within the same universe. We’re going to cast actors that are going to be able to play the characters in this, as well as in other things, some of which we’ve already cast. I’ve written all seven episodes of this show and it’s in production now."

Edited by tv echo

Isn't Viola Davis too old to continue playing Amanda Waller? With tales of the DC characters' younger exploits being the priority of this new regime, you'd think Gunn would be looking to recast Eden Duncan-Smith or Marsai Martin in the role...

6 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

With tales of the DC characters' younger exploits being the priority of this new regime, you'd think Gunn would be looking to recast Eden Duncan-Smith or Marsai Martin in the role...

Now that we’ve seen the slate, I don’t think that is the priority judging by the choice for Batman. I’m pretty sure this slate is just Gunn’s favorites and him wanting to put his stamp on everything. 

Just checked, and Vioia is 57.  That means she’s about 4 years younger than Dame Judi was when she first played M in GoldenEye- a role she kept for 17 years, across two Bonds.  I feel like that’s a comparable role to Waller (neither is exactly a physically demanding part), so realistically Viola could potentially be in the DCEU for another two decades at least if she wants to.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I was interested in a Supergirl movie based on Woman of Tomorrow, BUT then this quote (from DC's news page) has me worried (emphasis mine):

... In our story, we have Superman who was sent to Earth and raised by incredibly loving parents. Kara was on Krypton. She was on a piece of Krypton that drifted away from the planet and she lived there for the first fourteen years of her life in a horrible situation where she watched everyone around her die. So, she’s a much harsher and more f*cked up Supergirl than you’ve been used to thus far.

SIGH -- No.

Yes, Superman and Supergirl have differences as characters, but this sounds like they are missing so much nuance here.

----

And I hate how they continue to trash Batgirl to justify the tax write-off. I guarantee it wasn't "unreleasable", unless they want to admit many, many, people behind the scenes royally screwed up (I doubt it.). Meanwhile, they wanna protect Ezra Miller at all costs. (Like, I get that they want to release The Flash from a business standpoint, but they don't need to keep propping up their criminal behind.)

Edited by Trini
  • Like 3
27 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Keanu's Constantine got scrapped? Bummer, I was looking forward to it.

It’s still happening. The announcement was only part of the slate for the Gods and Monsters phase.

On 1/31/2023 at 8:10 PM, scarynikki12 said:

It warms my heart to know that others loathe Damian as much as I do.  

James Gunn's directorial style is not my cup of tea (I've never been able to get through GOTG or his version of Suicide Squad). So when I read he was tapped to head DC Comics, I wasn't interested.  I've primarily been interested in DC Comics via the animated universe and some of the live action productions. Thus, I'm unfamiliar with several of those lesser known titles and characters. Guess the true comics fans can enjoy those. 

On 1/31/2023 at 2:51 PM, Dani said:

This worries me coming from a studio who has struggled to make any decent movies with the “diamond characters”. 

I feel the same.  I think the time for DC Filmverse has largely passed.  Marvel has been outselling at the box office and a media darling for the past 10+ years.  Plus, all the BTS scenes stuff with Time Warner/WB being bounced around with poor leadership. 

I'm kind of interested in Amanda Waller, but won't get my hopes up. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

‘Batgirl’ Star Leslie Grace Rejects Studio’s Claim the Axed Film Was Unreleasable: The Cut I Saw Was ‘Incredible’ (EXCLUSIVE)
By Marc Malkin     Feb. 13, 2023
https://variety.com/2023/film/columns/leslie-grace-batgirl-canceled-interview-dc-studios-1235519751/ 

Grace says she had no idea the movie, originally set to stream on HBO Max, was shelved, until it was first reported by the New York Post.

“I found out like the rest of you,” she says. “And then my phone just started blowing up.”
New DC Studios head Peter Safran most recently said the movie was “not releasable,” and that it could have could hurt DC. Is there anything in your mind that can justify that?
I had my own meetings with Warner Bros. Film Group CEOs Pam Abdy and Mike De Luca, and they explained to me, on a granular level, what they felt about the project, things that were out of their hands, plans and budgets that were set in place before they were even part of the team. There are a lot of things that I learned through the experience about moviemaking, that as an actress you have no control over. They weren’t really specific on anything creative in terms of what they felt about the film and how it would’ve hurt DC creatively. But I’m a human being, and people have perceptions and people read things. And when words are expressed very lightly about work that people really dedicated a lot of time to — not just myself but the whole crew — I can understand how it could be frustrating.

There was nothing that you saw while you were shooting that said, “This movie’s not going to work”?
I’m not going to lie to you. In every film, there are obstacles, and our film was nothing short of that. Half of the shoot was night shoots in Scotland, where it never stops raining. So there were obstacles, but at the end of the day, because of the incredible crew, nothing that ever got in the way of us delivering what we knew we wanted to deliver for this film. At least from what I was able to see.

Did you ever see a final cut of the film?
That’s the one thing I asked for. I got to see the film as far as it got to; the film wasn’t complete by the time that it was tested. There were a bunch of scenes that weren’t even in there. They were at the beginning of the editing process, and they were cut off because of everything going on at the company. But the film that I got to see — the scenes that were there — was incredible. There was definitely potential for a good film, in my opinion. Maybe we’ll get to see clips of it later on.

Obviously, Peter Safran and his co-chairman at DC, James Gunn weren’t there when this decision was made, but have they reached out to you?
No, I haven’t heard from them. But I wish them the best on all the plans that they’ve got rolling out. They’ve got a lot of projects to handle, and it’s not an easy job.

Matt Reeves’ “Batman” with Robert Pattinson is getting a sequel, and there’s talk that it will include more of the Bat family. Would you consider coming back to play Batgirl?
We’ve definitely had conversations about Batgirl’s future and how Batgirl can make a resurgence. I think fans are looking forward to seeing that. We’ll just see where that takes us; I can’t say one way or the other if that is a reality at this point. I can’t speak too much about a future for Bat- girl or guarantee anything. The last thing that I would want to do is give folks any kind of inkling of something that I have not much control over — as we’ve learned.

Edited by tv echo

And we have Wonder Woman and we have Wonder Woman [1984], which doesn’t even match what happened in Wonder Woman one.

We’ve talked to Gal [Gadot]. She’s up for doing stuff. We’re not sure what we’re going to do with that.

He’s not wrong about WW84 - that was a mess.  And I’m glad they’re not totally ruling out Gal returning in the future, although something about the way this is said makes me think they’d still rather cast their own WW.  

That said, so much about how this all is being handled and discussed is just totally putting me off, even beyond the total refusal to address the Ezra Miller issue in any meaningful way (which, don’t get me wrong, is a huge issue).  And I’m not even sure I can really put my finger on what it is that’s bothering me.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
On 1/31/2023 at 4:42 PM, Dani said:

I don’t love how many of the descriptions are comparisons to other complete unrelated popular shows. I really like the idea of a Green Lantern series but “in the vein of True Detective” and “terrestrial-based”? Why?

If they're going to lean into the Green Lantern Corps Space Police history, they'd do better adapting NK Jemisin's Far Sector mini.  

Warner Bros. Pictures will have a presentation at CinemaCon on April 25 - as posted in The Flash thread, they are also reportedly screening The Flash at CinemaCon...

CinemaCon, April 24-27, 2023 (Las Vegas, NV)
https://cinemacon.com/schedule 

25 APRIL
8:30 AM - 12:00 PM
"THE STATE OF THE INDUSTRY” AND STUDIO PRESENTATION FROM WARNER BROS. PICTURES
Warner Bros. Pictures, Celebrating 100 Years of Movie Magic, Invites you to “The Big Picture,” a Special Presentation Highlighting its Upcoming Release Slate

Edited by tv echo

Ben Affleck on ‘Air,’ New CEO Gig and Those Memes: “I Am Who I Am”
BY REBECCA KEEGAN    MARCH 16, 2023
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/ben-affleck-air-production-company-grammys-memes-justice-league-1235353301/ 

As opposed to —
The Justice League experience, the fact that those stories became somewhat repetitive to me and less interesting. Yeah, I did finally figure out how to play that character [Batman], and I nailed it in The Flash. For the five minutes I’m there, it’s really great. A lot of it’s just tone. You’ve got to figure out, what’s your version of the person? Who is the guy that fits what you can do? I tried to fit myself into a Batman. And by the way, I like a lot of the stuff we did, especially the first one [Batman v Superman].

But not Justice League. What went wrong there?
Justice League … You could teach a seminar on all the reasons why this is how not to do it. Ranging from production to bad decisions to horrible personal tragedy, and just ending with the most monstrous taste in my mouth. The genius, and the silver lining, is that Zack Snyder eventually went to AT&T and was like, “Look, I can get you four hours of content.” And it’s principally just all the slow motion that he shot in black-and-white. And one day of shooting with me and him. He was like, “Do you want to come shoot in my backyard?” I was like, “I think there are unions, Zack. I think we have to make a deal.” But I went and did it. And now [Zack Snyder’s Justice League] is my highest-rated movie on IMDb
Isn’t that because Zack Snyder’s fans are so intense online?
Say what you want, it is my highest-rated career movie. I’ve never had one that went from nadir to pinnacle. Retroactively, it’s a hit. All of a sudden I was getting congratulated for the bomb I’m in. But I was going to direct a Batman, and [Justice League] made me go, “I’m out. I never want to do any of this again. I’m not suited.” That was the worst experience I’ve ever seen in a business which is full of some shitty experiences. It broke my heart. There was an idea of someone [Joss Whedon] coming in, like, “I’ll rescue you and we’ll do 60 days of shooting and I’ll write a whole thing around what you have. I’ve got the secret.” And it wasn’t the secret. That was hard. And I started to drink too much. I was back at the hotel in London, it was either that or jump out the window. And I just thought, “This isn’t the life I want. My kids aren’t here. I’m miserable.” You want to go to work and find something interesting to hang onto, rather than just wearing a rubber suit, and most of it you’re just standing against the computer screen going, “If this nuclear waste gets loose, we’ll …” That’s fine. I don’t condescend to that or put it down, but I got to a point where I found it creatively not satisfying. Also just, you’re sweaty and exhausted. And I thought, “I don’t want to participate in this in any way. And I don’t want to squander any more of my life, of which I have a limited amount.”

So if DC came to you now and said, “Do you want to direct something?”
I would not direct something for the [James] Gunn DC. Absolutely not. I have nothing against James Gunn. Nice guy, sure he’s going to do a great job. I just wouldn’t want to go in and direct in the way they’re doing that. I’m not interested in that.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2

You'd think that with a whole slate of new movies being planned, the characters and stories would command the most attention.   But I all I hear in the media and news stories  is "James Gunn, James Gunn, James Gunn."   Fuck James Gunn.  I didn't collect "James Gunn" comic books growing up.  He's not why I get excited about a superhero movie.  FWIW, I think his movies suck.  Hated Guardians of the Galaxy.  Hated Suicide Squad.   I hope he falls flat on his face.   

Ditto for The Flash and Ezra Miller.  No matter how much Warner Bros. PR department tries to whitewash Miller's rap sheet by insisting "But the movie's really great" (like box office success is some kind of absolution), Miller's still a dangerous creep who thinks they're above the law.

Wow, The Flash Movie Must Really Be Incredible After All

Tom Cruise Has Seen ‘The Flash’ … and He Loved It (Exclusive)

Finally, Damian Wayne ... well, if that isn't the cherry on top of the steaming pile of shit known as the DCEU.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, millennium said:

Ditto for The Flash and Ezra Miller.  No matter how much Warner Bros. PR department tries to whitewash Miller's rap sheet by insisting "But the movie's really great" (like box office success is some kind of absolution), Miller's still a dangerous creep who thinks they're above the law.

Wow, The Flash Movie Must Really Be Incredible After All

Tom Cruise Has Seen ‘The Flash’ … and He Loved It (Exclusive)

I’m really not look forward to three more months of this campaign to convince us that The Flash is the greatest movie EVER in the hopes that we pay no attention to the man behind the cowl. Even without Miller being an awful human being, I just don’t buy the hype. Miller’s not that good of an actor and Flashpoint is too big of a story it be told without any buildup to make me actually invested in the stakes. 

I thought Miller's Flash was the most poorly-acted character throughout most of the theatrical Justice League movie (admittedly he had, maybe, three good scenes that weren't cringeworthy), and that's with competition from Amber Heard's Mera and the rebooted CGI main villain.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Like 2
On 3/18/2023 at 10:47 PM, Dani said:

Even without Miller being an awful human being, I just don’t buy the hype. Miller’s not that good of an actor and Flashpoint is too big of a story it be told without any buildup to make me actually invested in the stakes. 

What seems truly perverse to me (other than some of Miller's alleged antics), is that the studio has hired a criminal to play the part of a superhero.   Maybe I'm a dinosaur because I grew up in an age when superheroes weren't portrayed as conflicted or borderline psychotic (thanks for that, Frank Miller)(what is it with people named Miller, anyway?).  Superheroes were paragons of truth and justice.   It was ingrained in me at an early age and even now I cling to that impression.  Which is probably why I'm so piqued that DC/Warner would rather whitewash Ezra Miller's criminal record than do the right thing and replace them.   How can you believe in a movie hero when you know the real person behind the mask assaults women, etc.  Moreover, the fact that somebody accused of such misdeeds is still walking free and raking in millions shouts celebrity justice -- another infuriating thing we shouldn't have to consider when seeking escapism in a movie.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, tv echo said:

They crossed over in the comics a few times. New Mutants/Teen Titans, I think. Spider-man/Superman. Amalgam was the big one, where a bunch of heroes got smushed together to make new ones. But both universes are owned by major conglomerates who don't like to play nice with others.

Many comics creators have worked for both, and a bunch of actors. But I doubt the two universes will ever officially touch again.

• Useful 1
(edited)

I remember a crossover 20+ years ago where the readers voted who would win.

As I recall Logan beat Lobo, Robin beat Jubilee but they ended up going on a date or something. I can't remember the rest but, I doubt we'll see that in the movies.

I think Captain America and Batman teamed rather than Duke it out.

Edited by Morrigan2575
(edited)
On 2/3/2023 at 5:46 PM, tv echo said:

James Gunn Debunks DCEU 'Reset' Rumor Following New Announcements

On 2/3/2023 at 5:46 PM, tv echo said:

Gunn then replied to the fan with his own comment, setting the record straight that The Flash "resets many things," but "not all things." Gunn also revealed in his comment that "some characters" from the DCEU will still continue to be a part of the universe despite some fans claiming that no character or actor from the current franchise would be brought back:

Somebody should tell these "writers" what the word 'debunk' means. English is my second language and I know that's not what it means.

Also basically they'll keep Peacemaker and crew, Waller and maybe Aquaman. Everything else gets reset.

On 2/6/2023 at 8:25 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Isn't Viola Davis too old to continue playing Amanda Waller?

I don't think Waller has an age limit. She doesn't do anything particularly physical. As long as it's believeable that her mind is still sharp, Viola Davis can play Waller.

On 2/8/2023 at 5:29 AM, ribboninthesky1 said:

Marvel has been outselling at the box office and a media darling for the past 10+ years.

Tbh, now might be the exact right moment for the DCEU to try and make a comeback. Because Marvel has been really shit lately and seems to be getting shittier with every movie and show (GOTG3 probably excluded, we'll see).

On 2/13/2023 at 4:52 PM, tv echo said:

‘Batgirl’ Star Leslie Grace Rejects Studio’s Claim the Axed Film Was Unreleasable: The Cut I Saw Was ‘Incredible’

I mean, what else is she going to say?

On 3/19/2023 at 2:30 AM, millennium said:

Hated Guardians of the Galaxy.  Hated Suicide Squad.

I loved GOTG, The Suicide Squad was okay. Peacemaker is also great. But I think James Gun shines with constraints and a low(er) budgets. I really don't think he will be good at running an entire universe.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

On 3/20/2023 at 6:09 AM, millennium said:

What seems truly perverse to me (other than some of Miller's alleged antics), is that the studio has hired a criminal to play the part of a superhero.

I mean they didn't knowingly hire a criminal. That movie has been in production for so many decades, that most of the original filming was done before all of Miller's crimes came to light.

If the studio had known, they wouldn't have hired him. All his other films have been cancelled and he's not going to play the flash after this movie either.

DC is just desperate at this point. They need this movie to reboot their universe and don't know what else to do.

Edited by PurpleTentacle
1 hour ago, PurpleTentacle said:

I mean they didn't knowingly hire a criminal. That movie has been in production for so many decades, that most of the original filming was done before all of Miller's crimes came to light.

I understand but they should have done the right thing and cut all ties with him.   Of course, I was born in an earlier age, when crime and immorality had consequences.   But saying that today sounds naive, like something you'd read in a comic book. 

Anyway, based on comments posted on the Youtube trailer of The Flash, absolutely no one cares that Miller is a creep and criminal.   All anyone seems to give a damn about is seeing Michael Keaton as Batman.   "You wanna get nutsh?   Let's get nutsh."

1 hour ago, PurpleTentacle said:

I don't think Waller has an age limit. She doesn't do anything particularly physical. As long as it's believeable that her mind is still sharp, Viola Davis can play Waller.

What's Amanda Waller's level of popularity?  I can't stand the character and hate that she has permeated so much of DC.   I can say the same for Harley Quinn.   I probably despise Harley even more.   I tried to watch that Birds of Prey movie a couple weeks ago.   I lasted maybe 18 minutes.

8 hours ago, millennium said:

Of course, I was born in an earlier age, when crime and immorality had consequences. 

You come from a time when nobody would have ever heard about this, because the studio would have swept it under the rug. Not to mention all the other blatant crime and immorality everybody just turned a blind eye to.

Anyway, based on comments posted on the Youtube trailer of The Flash, absolutely no one cares that Miller is a creep and criminal.   All anyone seems to give a damn about is seeing Michael Keaton as Batman.   "You wanna get nutsh?   Let's get nutsh."

Companies delete all negative comments on their trailers as a matter of course.

What's Amanda Waller's level of popularity?  I can't stand the character and hate that she has permeated so much of DC.   I can say the same for Harley Quinn.   I probably despise Harley even more.   I tried to watch that Birds of Prey movie a couple weeks ago.   I lasted maybe 18 minutes.

I personally like her, well like to hate her.

When you google her you can see that she has been played by 10 actresses, across live action and animated TV shows and films. So I'd say the character is pretty prolific in DC.

I remember people being really excited when Waller showed up on Smallville,  less so with her appearance on Arrow...although they were exited for The Suicide Squad

19 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Also, basically they'll keep Peacemaker and crew, Waller and maybe Aquaman. Everything else gets reset.

I thought it was confirmed that Aquaman/Mamoa was gone but Mamoa would be tapped to play another character (most likely Lobo).  Or was that conjecture?

17 hours ago, millennium said:

I understand but they should have done the right thing and cut all ties with him.   Of course, I was born in an earlier age, when crime and immorality had consequences.   But saying that today sounds naive, like something you'd read in a comic book. 

8 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

You come from a time when nobody would have ever heard about this, because the studio would have swept it under the rug. Not to mention all the other blatant crime and immorality everybody just turned a blind eye to.

Yeah, in an ideal world people would be held accountable for actions, but let's not pretend that bad behavior being glossed over isn't a constant of Hollywood history, not to mention people being fired for things they shouldn't have been, such as being queer or refusing sexual advances from higher ups.

• Like 1