Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E17: This Just Ain't A Good Day For Leavin'

Juliette is excited about Rayna throwing her a star-studded baby shower, but when Rayna gets pulled into Sadie’s drama instead of hosting, Juliette starts her own mama drama. Bucky and Luke Wheeler both are interested in signing rising singer/songwriter Ron Pope (who guest stars as himself). Gunnar is upset by Scarlett growing closer to Dr. Rand, and Sadie finds a kindred spirit in an old friend.

Promo:

Juliette for a couple episodes has been strangely boring to me. The cutesy stuff with Avery has been falling flat, and her huge tantrum tonight- for once ever with Hayden, I wasn't sold on her performance. That said, she deserves to have Glen and Emily ditch her whenever they feel like. She doesn't deserve them. (PS I have lost my crush on Emily. She is just too perfect and beautiful to be a harried assistant.)

Nice to have a whole episode of Rayna/Deacon togetherness! 

Teddy and the skank- yawn. Blackmailing the politician guy- double yawn. 

I like the new guy! 

Somehow I am now also a fan of Luke, despite being convinced he was Evil for a good long time. 

• Love 3

So apparently this must have been filmed after Hayden had had her baby. We haven't seen her this mobile in months. Glad she was able to do some active filming but thought the story for her tonight was weak and threw off the rhythm for the other storylines.

Liked the Rayna and Sadie stuff. Rest not so much. And because it can't be said enough, shut up Gunner.

• Love 2

I actually...liked some of the Teddy scenes? Not the blackmail stuff or the hooker stuff (oh my God SO BORING) but the scenes with Maddy and Deacon. I actually felt for him! It was weird! 

I swear, no one has their shit together as much as Daphne does. She remains the voice of reason in the family, despite the fact that she`s in freaking elementary school. 

Not cool! I wanted to know the name of the baby! I loved the the songs between Gunner and Scarlette, and Juliette and Avery. 

Gunner is just being ridiculous. 

• Love 10

What was the whole point of the Sadie storyline if she is just going to leave town? I predicated she would shoot the ex as soon as she bought the gun but I still don't get why she bought the gun under a fake name, why did they bother to have Sadie and Luke interested in each other and well the whole story. 

Juliette was behaving like a child, as she often does and since she doesn't seem the type to have a lot of friends, there weren't a lot of people to show up at her shower. Of course, on TV no one has cousins, friends from school, neighbor or work friends, so there is that.

Something is going to happen to Teddy, it was foreshadowed by his saying "I'm not going anywhere" to Maddie. And I really hope the hooker with the awful nose job goes far, far away. Teddy doesn't really owe her anything. Love Scarlett and Gunnar singing together, but the on/off love story is a little boring.

• Love 5

Wonder if Teddy will end up being the one who dies and donates the liver to Deacon? Agree that his saying he isn't going anywhere makes it seem like he will be. And having one daddy saved by the death of the other daddy is just the kind of melodrama this show loves.

• Love 7

Am.... I suppose to find what Gunnar did at the end to be romantic?  The whole song bit?  Because, honestly, I felt like that was kind of creepy.  I mean, not in a "Scarlett should fear for her life" kind of creepy, but that Gunnar clearly has no issues pushing boundaries and potentially humiliating her kind of way.  I mean her only options was to go along, or blow things on stage, which considering her history, the media would eat it up.  Either way, it just disturbed me.  Honestly, I almost hope he keeps it up and either Scarlett kicks him in the nuts or Doctor guy ends up secretly having some fighting skills, and kicks his ass.

Knew it was only a matter of time, but they finally went overboard with Hormonal Juliette, and made her obnoxious.  I mean, I did laugh a few times; I'm not perfect; but I was glad that Rayna finally chewed her out.  I honestly think baby finally decided to start coming out, because she didn't want to stick around for that fight.  At least the birthing was successful, and hopefully that whole story is done.  I did like the Avery/Juliette song.  Glad Avery made it.  Then again, the way things were going on at the tour bus, I think he was close to jumping out, if he had to put up with another Gunnar whine-fest.

Hey, Teddy shows that there is a soul somewhere, with the way he reacted to Deacon's condition and how he handled Maddie.  Good job, Ted!  But now he's totally going the scummy bribing route.  At least they officially compared him to Lamar now, which I find highly amusing.  I can only hope Coleman has found success elsewhere, and is laughing over what Teddy has become.

So, Pete died, and since the gun was unregistered, they really did think Sadie just simply killed him in cold blood?  I mean, I get being by the book, but that detective treated her like she was guilty as sin.  But then Luke tells a white lie, and it is all good.  Well... except she decides to leave now.  I guess Luke/Sadie won't be happening after-all.  I wonder if they didn't plan this, but Laura Benanti got that Supergirl gig around this time, so they had to quickly write her out.

I wonder if they are setting it up that Bucky might leave Rayna and the label for Luke's.  In his defense, that artist did sound good, and if that's not the "kind" of music Rayna wants, then what in the hell does she want?

I didn't even realize that Jeff, Will, and Layla were missing.  This cast really is just so damn big, and not all the characters are significant for every episode, baring Rayna, Juliette, and maybe Deacon (and for me personally, Avery.)

• Love 5

I began to wonder if the hooker had been convinced to turn on Teddy by the FBI -- I figured she was wearing a wire when they were in the car, but he convinced her to get out pretty quickly, so, I have no idea what the point of the storyline is, if any.

I was very glad when Rayna had her meltdown in front of Juliette. At least somebody finally got Juliette to quit acting like a ninny. But of course that's when her water broke. Because obstetric irony is the most indestructible of tropes.

• Love 3

Why does that stupid whore need so much money to disappear, anyway?

If nothing else, she could get some $$ upfront from Teddy and let him send her the rest later surreptitiously.

Plus she could always do her whore of Mensa thing to earn $$ wherever she winds up.

All I know is I could disappear for a lot less than that.

• Love 7
(edited)

I understand that Maddie is hurting and angry and confused. I get that she is lashing out and shutting down, much like Deacon did to Rayna just last week. But come on... all of the sudden he's back to being "Deacon" and she's calling Teddy to come get her because he isn't cancerous and isnt "going anywhere"? (Which means he will be dead or in prison by the end of the season.)

Does she just go with whatever dad is best for her at the moment?

I generally stick up for Maddie but I found her to be a pretty decently sized brat tonight.

Glad she finally came out and talked to Deacon, and I'm glad Teddy could take time off from his hooker and embezzling and blackmail to talk to Deacon and her.

Juliette made me roll my eyes. So cheesy and over the top.

Rayna and Deacon = bliss.

But can someone tell me why he didn't just change his shirt whe he was at his house?

Edited by airwair
  • Love 7

Pardon this, but I hope something terrible happens to that baby. Pregnant Juliette, off by herself or Avery, is boring. Same I imagine with a baby. She used to be the most fascinating character on the show. But that's when she was working, scheming, interacting with adults. Juliette preoccupied with a  baby, or just her and Avery, suddenly the best part of the show sounds like a real drag. 

(edited)

Everyone looks really blurry eyed. Understandably... 

Not totally loving bitchy Juliette right now but this was perfect:

"I can't believe she chose to shoot someone on the day of my shower."

A lot of times Maddie annoys me, but tonight she broke my heart.

Maddie to Teddy "Promise me you won't get sick until you're really, really old."

sniff

Scarlet is usually dressed Prarie chic, but for one-on-one singing with Gunnar she's dressed in very sexy little black number. 

My favorite song of the night was Avery and Juliette's lullaby. 

No Layla or Jeff or Will, but I did think this episode was really good if sad. 

I just wanted to know what the baby's name was! Not cool show, not cool at all. (My money is on that they name her after Juliette's mom, though).

They said on the poll site that they would announce the name 4/15 so I was expecting that. I was hoping they would name the baby after Juliette's mom. Maybe as a middle name? But the poll has four choices (Bella, Blythe, Cadence, and Nina) and none of them are even close to Jolene (Juliette's mother's name).

Edited by Temperance
(edited)

Airwair: I tend to think Maddie is often a shallow representation of what these writers think teenagers are, but one of my biggest complaints about Bratty Julie Taylor on Friday Night Lights was that she never, over a five-year show, evolved at all to see her mother as a human being. I'm starting to have the same frustration with Maddie. I know she's had a rough time and I believe she's not over it and I think she has the right to be angry, but her moments of awfulness need to start being tempered by moments of growth. She's old enough to start seeing her parents as human beings instead of shells, not always, not in every situation, but I need some compassion from Maddie. Her one-note bratty teen cliche is starting to wear a bit thin. I got excited a few episodes ago when she confronted Rayna with something like "Stop saying you're fine! You're not fine, Mom! Why won't you talk to me?" But as usual on this show, that went nowhere.

In other news, I really enjoyed this episode. I always like when Daphne gets to have an opinion! Rayna is really back to being her badass self consistently, and this episode put its best characters together. I have no idea what the point of Sadie was, but...whatever. I find myself not rooting for Gunnar/Scarlett. The doc is cute but kind of plastic-y, but good god Gunnar...sad sack is not sexy, dude.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 6

And this is where mileage varies because I loved this episode. All of it. My only criticism is that I thought they would connect Juliette's tantrum to her mother ruining her birthday party back in the day. I thought that Rayna not being there and having to cancel the shower would trigger that memory for her and that would be the underlying cause of the tantrum. I would have actually welcomed this because I expected some mention of Jolene at some point during this pregnancy, especially now at the time of the birth when Rayna has to stand in as a surrogate mother. But no such luck.

My love for Emily and Glenn just grows and grows. The looks Emily gives Juliette are priceless.

Bucky is full of shit and I don't have anything else to say about it.

I see Gunnar is back to his assholing ways. No surprise there. I did LOVE that song though, so something good came out of it. 

I'm so down with the Sadie/Luke pairing. Hoping it can happen at some point, possibly off screen.

Why did the detective have to be such an ass to Sadie? 

• Love 3

Airwair: I tend to think Maddie is mostly a shallow representation of what these writers think teenagers are, but one of my biggest complaints about Bratty Julie Taylor on Friday Night Lights was that she never, over a five-year show, evolved at all to see her mother as a human being. I'm starting to have the same frustration with Maddie. 

Oooph. You know you're a brat when you get compared to Julie Taylor. Get it together, Maddie. 

• Love 5

Airwair: I tend to think Maddie is often a shallow representation of what these writers think teenagers are, but one of my biggest complaints about Bratty Julie Taylor on Friday Night Lights was that she never, over a five-year show, evolved at all to see her mother as a human being. I'm starting to have the same frustration with Maddie. I know she's had a rough time and I believe she's not over it and I think she has the right to be angry, but her moments of awfulness need to start being tempered by moments of growth. She's old enough to start seeing her parents as human beings instead of shells, not always, not in every situation, but I need some compassion from Maddie. Her one-note bratty teen cliche is starting to wear a bit thin. I got excited a few episodes ago when she confronted Rayna with something like "Stop saying you're fine! You're not fine, Mom! Why won't you talk to me?" But as usual on this show, that went nowhere.

In other news, I really enjoyed this episode. I always like when Daphne gets to have an opinion! Rayna is really back to being her badass self consistently, and this episode put its best characters together. I have no idea what the point of Sadie was, but...whatever. I find myself not rooting for Gunnar/Scarlett. The doc is cute but kind of plastic-y, but good god Gunnar...sad sack is not sexy, dude.

For sure.

If they were trying to go for the "she shuts down just like Deacon and they're so much alike" angle they lost me when she called Teddy to come rescue her. I would've bought it more and even been okay with it had she just locked herself in the room and moped. That would've been the proper Claybourne response.

Instead she just looked... well, like a brat. I've also decided she probably won't grow too much too soon. We better get used to #BrattyMaddie !

(edited)

All true, though I will say, to Maddie's credit, she's been fairly consistent in playing her parents against each other, but that seems like a very young approach, especially since she's so obvious about it. I still sort of feel like her brattiness is a combo of trying to get Rayna's attention and "she shuts down just like Deacon" and that's a story line I could absolutely buy, but it only comes up when the writers need Maddie to throw some kind of melodramatic fit to suit their plot. It just feels really contrived as opposed to natural to her personality. And then, when she comes around, like talking to Deacon finally in this episode or coming to Rayna at the end, it seems much more real.

Daphne, on the other hand, is hilariously wise and in control. She's the one to watch out for! "We should just let that...simmer."

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 4

And because it can't be said enough, shut up Gunner.

You're right, shut up Gunner. I'm so sick of him & his relationship problems.

What was the whole point of the Sadie storyline if she is just going to leave town? 

Good question. She added nothing, had a plot that wasn't related to anything else & distracted from the storylines we already had, & now she's gone. What was the point?

I was pleasantly surprised that as soon as Teddy found out Deacon was sick, he immediately dropped all the alpha male pissing contest. Sadly, I've seen that happen in real life too. It takes a life threatening illness/imminent death to make some people stop acting like idiots and see each other as human beings who deserve some kindness and understanding. I'm glad that Teddy continued that by talking to Maddie and encouraging her to talk to Deacon instead of using it as an opportunity to pry Maddie away from Deacon again.

But of course, Deacon's cancer is All About Maddie. I found it hilarious at the beginning of the episode when Deacon said, "I knew it was going to be tough telling THEM but gawd, MADDIE took it hard." For a split second, Deacon and Rayna actually acknowledged Daphne's existence and the fact that this is hard on her too but then we had to go right back to Maddie Maddie Maddie.

Of course, maybe it's all due to the fact that Daphne is the smartest and most mature person on this show. She was hilarious. "I think we should get the check," followed by "I think we should just let this simmer" and then immediately exiting stage right.

I swear, no one has their shit together as much as Daphne does. She remains the voice of reason in the family, despite the fact that she`s in freaking elementary school. 

Daphne as a fixer is a spinoff I would definitely watch. That girl is awesome.

Also, somebody get Rayna a glass of wine. She's had it rough the past couple days.

Yes to all of this! I would totally watch Daphne the Fixer getting shit done! And Rayna could definitely use a glass of wine and a long bath.

Gunnar needs to stop acting like a child. Boo hoo, your ex-girlfriend is having sex with someone else now. HOW DARE SHE? I am glad that when they finally had it out, she made sure to point out that he is the one who started dating her best friend so he really has no leg to stand on. If he is allowed to move on, why isn't she?

I could not believe what a pouty baby he was being on the bus. Gawd. And then to put her on the spot while on stage was really crappy. As someone else pointed out, her choices were to go along with it despite her feelings or cause a huge scene during their set. I used to like Gunnar. What the hell happened?

Speaking of which, it's hilarious to me that Avery was such a jerk in S1 but here he was the voice of reason and maturity dealing with Gunnar and Scarlett. I don't fault Scarlett for asking Avery if something was going on with Gunnar since Gunnar was being such a brat and was barely talking to her at that point except to be snippy. But Gunnar asking Avery if he and Scarlett were talking about him was so elementary school. "Were you guys talking about me? What did she say?"

• Love 8

Boy was Sadie a waste of time and space.  Rayna spent all that money paying off Pete and then the stupid woman shot him and leaves Rayna high and dry.  Why not shoot him before giving him the money?  Of course Sadie has always gotten on my nerves.  I hope Rayna sues her for breach of contract and for all of the payoff money.  Rayna's label has got to be in serious trouble.  

Poor Gunnar.  Of course he is upset about Scarlett and the doctor.  I loved the song they did as a duo.

I'm down for Will and Sadie. Of course that's probably because I'm a huge Broadway fan and I adore Will Chase and Laura Benanti. I hope this isn't really the end for Sadie but I wouldn't be surprised because this show goes through secondary characters like Kleenex. They bring them on, put them through ridiculous plot driven madness then wash them out a few months later. Next up Christina Aguilera.

Everything about Juliette's shower was just ridiculous. The decor, the guest list, her behavior, everything. Based on the final scene I assume the baby is going to be named Harmony.

Gunnar and Scarlett. Don't care. 

Maddie just...argh. For ages we saw her badger Deacon and her mom about getting back together. When Deacon found out about his cancer and shut everyone out, Maddie harangued him non stop. Now that they are together and he's honest with her, she runs back to the other father. All while Daphne behaves like Nashville's version of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

• Love 7

I love Gunnar as a friend to Will and Avery and a sometimes sidekick to Deacon. I even liked him hanging out with Luke, although he was mopey that night. But he doesn't know how to treat a woman and he probably shouldn't be in any relationship with one that isn't platonic and/or professional. I never understood why he was so encouraging of Scarlett's songwriting/singing career, but then was only so supportive of Zoey's singing career. I don't know what happened back in the day with Kylie and Jason, and based on our little knowledge of their characters, I won't blame any relationship failures solely on Gunnar, but his track record in three seasons is enough for me to want him not to date anyone else.

From the beginning, it was as if he only wanted Scarlett when she was unavailable. He pined after her when she was dating Avery, had a brief and also disastrous relationship with the other songwriter chick, and then when he and Scarlett finally get together, he treats her badly. Then proposes when she decided she couldn't take his crap anymore.

Then, Zoey. Poor child. I'm surprised she lasted as long as she did. I swear, she almost needed to get, "I left Natchez because..." tattooed on her forehead or something. Yeah, Gunnar was a half-ass supportive boyfriend when he paid for her demo. But he was only down for her to sing locally or with him as a part of ZAG. It was as if he could not understand why that wasn't enough for her. I'll not even go into the Micah debacle.

Now he wants her again, now that Zoey's gone and Scarlett's starting a new relationship? Honey, no.

I was shocked to hear her say she was waiting for him. What the what? Scarlett. Girl. No. Just...no. I want them to keep singing songs together, but I tell you what, we would have had a conversation about his behavior onstage. That was one half note down from Luke Wheeler levels of public manipulation. 

• Love 9

Soup, I've decided your approach is exactly what Gunnar needs. Think how much better the show would be if someone, somehow, were just to say "Gunnar. Oh, honey -- no" every once in a while. Would it be too contrived for Daphne to traipse by backstage at a Triple Exes (that's what I'm calling them, you can't stop me) show just to drop a "Girl, please!"

• Love 4

I think the hooker with the Michael Jackson nose is somehow pulling a long con on Teddy. Why would the feds, rather than the local Nashville vice squad, waste their time investigating a hooker, other than to figure out her clients as part of some bigger case (and if so, they already caught Teddy on tape, so...) The whole sudden need for cash THIS VERY MINUTE, NOW NOW NOW, DON'T STOP TO THINK ABOUT IT feels like a complete scam.

Meanwhile, Teddy telling Maddie that he's not going anywhere was the biggest, clunkiest anvil of all time, so I assume that he will be the liver donor. It was obviously always going to be one of Rayna's exes, who was already figuratively sacrificed for Deacon in the past and now literally dies to save him for Rayna. And as much as I hate Luke, I guess there is more of a country-music-themed storyline to tell with him. They don't seem to know what to do with Teddy, so may as well get kill him off.

Maddie's mopiness is annoying, but completely believable for a moody teenager who had her birth father kept from her and now just learned he's dying. That kid should have been in therapy since the daddy reveal (get started now, before the dad who raised her kicks it too). Considerably less believable, and considerably more annoying to watch, was Juliette's meltdown. That was terrible writing, terrible acting, and strained credulity even for a character who used to be an insufferable diva. Nobody older than a toddler acts like that. Come on, show.

• Love 6

Good question. She added nothing, had a plot that wasn't related to anything else & distracted from the storylines we already had, & now she's gone. What was the point?

I think she was the "strong female singer" on the cast list since Hayden P was not as available.  But the story was pretty big for it to just be over in a blink.

Daphne is becoming like a Where's Waldo game:  What cool, mature insight will she bring to THIS scene? Somebody's got to be the grownup!

I liked the episode. Cracked up at crazy Juliette being back. Nice to see something other than the snooze she's been of late (even if understandably). I'm hoping we get a week or two of more awesome lullabies (thanks, show!!), and then baby no longer is part of the story line. Hate all the baby name choices. Was glad to see the Teddy and Deacon exchange, and the one dad to another. And I agree with poster upthread who speculated hooker gal is setting him up. $100,000?  Where the heck is she going??  I didn't even realize we were missing Will, Layla and Jeff.  Tho I do enjoy Jeff/Snidely Whiplash.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am a big Nashville fan. I can excuse and unconditionally accept a lot of things , because, at the end of the day, it is a night time soap. But, tonight was just awful. It was as if two camera and production crews worked on this episode  and spliced them together. When Rayna is yelling at Juliette, what was with that camera work. It felt like there should, e some psych music with it. Weird and silly.

Gunnar, does he really have to be written so cartoonish ?? Ugh.

Disappointed, and i love this show.

Edited by missyb
  • Love 1

I agree that the hooker is working for the FBI to sting Teddy. She worked out a deal. He's falling into the trap.

They need to evolve Maddie a bit. She's so one note -- the pissed off, sullen teenager. She needs to grow up. Maybe she should take some lessons on maturity from Daphne.

Gunnar needs to stop with Scarlett. Leave her alone. I loved them together at first, but he is so self-involved he is not ready to have a relationship with anyone. He's always so broody and whiny as soon as there is a bump in the road. He closes off and leaves the girl hanging. I'm over Gunnar completely and I used to really like him.

No Layla! No Jeff! Didn't miss them at all.

• Love 2
Daphne is becoming like a Where's Waldo game:  What cool, mature insight will she bring to THIS scene? Somebody's got to be the grownup!

Daphne is starting to remind me of Liam because he spouted off truth bombs on a fairly regular basis.

So over the Scarlett Triangle of Doom and Gunnar is so much less likable when part of that.  It is hard to say who is more full of self righteous BS with those two so I'll say they are tied.  But neither is interesting Show.

Maddie had a lot to absorb last ep with Rayna and Deacon being "together together" and finding out he's got a cancer expiration date stamped on him.  I'll give her a pass on hysterics and calling Teddy.  And Teddy was awesome with her and with Deacon after he heard the news.  So of course he's going to die, Deacon will get his liver and then Maddie will have two Daddies all in one.

• Love 3
(edited)

I do think Teddy's being set up by the hooker, there's really no reason for the Feds to be involved in this otherwise. I don't think he's going to die, but he will be leaving the scene for a while, headed to the big house. Extortion, embezzlement...those won't go over too well. 

I loved the scene between Deacon and Teddy last night, Teddy's response to Deacon's news was spot-on and I loved how they set things aside for Maddie and Daphne's sake. Liked too Teddy encouraging Maddie to stick it out. 

Thought Juliette came off a completely ridiculous last night up until the point she went into labor. Who reacts that way to someone shooting her ex? Juliette wouldn't. And that tantrum was just off the charts stupid. Did laugh at the comment about Rayna's stupid, perfect hair, 'cause it is really - her hair even looked terrific in both scenes with Deacon.

Gunnar got on my nerves last night. Scarlett doesn't want anything to do with you romantically dude, stop trying to force it, you look like an idiot. And while the song was great, I hated how it happened.

I liked Sadie and didn't mind her storyline, but I hate the way they had her exit. She's halfway through an album with Rayna and she's just gonna head out back to Virginia without finishing it? For the woman who's supported her through all of this?? Craziness. And she and Luke could have had something, though I would have wanted to see them both wait on that front. Or ya know, go on tour together, off screen, and have it happen then.

Liked the Deacon and Rayna moments and the calls throughout the day. Deacon was trying his best and was in over his head a bit with Maddie, thank goodness for Daphne who was always there with words of wisdom. Love that kid! Hope if they get a Season 4 Miss Maisy will get a real storyline.

While I totally get Maddie's anger (I lost my Dad to cancer myself), what I don't get is the complete pulling away. Yeah, it's kind of a Deacon thing to do to pull away from those he loves when he's in trouble, but he's never been one to pull away from a loved one in trouble. I was surprised that she didn't really show much concern for how Deacon was feeling. 

Edited by Clemgo3165
  • Love 1
(edited)

While I totally get Maddie's anger (I lost my Dad to cancer myself), what I don't get is the complete pulling away. Yeah, it's kind of a Deacon thing to do to pull away from those he loves when he's in trouble, but he's never been one to pull away from a loved one in trouble. I was surprised that she didn't really show much concern for how Deacon was feeling.

You know, this might actually be a better articulation of my problem with it. Maddie isn't supposed to be some unfeeling asshole. OK, yeah, she's a kid and she doesn't know how to process how she feels and life is really insanely hard and confusing for her and her family is kind of a mess, but supposedly she loves and worships Deacon, right? (Supposedly...) He's her awesome cool dad who teaches her to play the guitar and adores her mom. So I can get crying and locking herself in a bedroom and even snapping or yelling at people, but acting like he's done something awful TO her is just weird. Unless she's going to go total cliche and put together that "Deacon did this to himself because he's a drunk" and have some really selfish reaction to that "realization," her behavior makes no sense. Plus, it's not like Maddie was an abused, neglected child whose parents never paid any attention to her. By all accounts, she's been adored by and very close to all her parents all her life. I'd consider shutting people out when you're hurting to be a learned trait, not some inborn thing she can inherit from Deacon. And while Rayna certainly hides how she feels, she's always been shown as demonstrative and loving with her kids. So the fact that Maddie so severely disconnects from her family in times of stress or sadness just isn't believable to me.

Daphne's confusion and questioning, and her clinginess with Rayna at the end, seemed much more realistic to me for both her age and her upbringing.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

Agree on all fronts MM. I could get her being angry with him, if that was the case, but according to her last night it really isn't. So it just doesn't make much sense.

Daphne's confusion and questioning, and her clinginess with Rayna at the end, seemed much more reaistic to me for both her age and her upbringing.

So true, and I loved that Deacon was willing to answer her questions, to the point of chastising Maddie for interrupting. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Daphne was showing age-appropriate compassion there too. You don't ask someone if his illness hurts if you only care about how it affects you. I know kids are different; even kids raised in the same family can be totally different in how they feel, act, etc. And parents often can't help but raise them somewhat differently, given age, timing, personality, etc. But there's just no reason for Maddie to lack compassion for her family. People go on about Rayna being selfish, but I see Rayna as very compassionate and giving. She often puts herself aside to help the people she loves (the first half of this season notwithstanding); she's also almost always totally loyal and devoted to them. So if you want me to buy a story in which her child is so severely emotionally stunted that she shows zero compassion when her beloved cool dad is dying, you're going to have to give me more than "Maddie's a bratty teen."

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 6

I wish I could feel something for Deacon and his poor sad liver but we all know he's not dying and that really kills the emotion for me.  We're just sitting here spinning our wheels until his miraculous cure/liver transplant comes through.  I did like Teddy pretty much refusing to bring Maddie home and leaving here there to actually talk to Deacon.  It's nice when the show remembers that Teddy actually does love Maddie and is supposed to have been a really good dad.  He knows it would kill her to lose Deacon, especially if she spent the last few months of his life angry and not talking to him.  At this point I'd be ok with Teddy being the one who kicks it because they've destroyed his character anyway.

I hate every one of those name choices.  Nina?  Really, show?

Favourite moment from last night has to be Juliette seeing Avery, baby Terrible Name, Glen and Emily and realizing that these people are her family and they will show up for her no matter what. 

• Love 1

I understand that Maddie is a confused, angry teenager, but my heart was breaking for Deacon while watching the scene between Maddie and Teddy when she asked him not to get sick until he was very old. I'm so glad Deacon didn't hear that conversation. It just came off as if he had been the "cool dad" - the one to be around when he was singing with her and teaching her to play guitar, but when he became sick he suddenly wasn't worthy of being around. I get what the scene was about. Maddie is scared of losing Deacon and, right now at least in Maddie's mind, Teddy is the father who isn't going anywhere. That doesn't make it any less sad to me. Maybe they could balance out these scenes for me with an occasional one of Deacon cleaning out his rain gutters.

All of this. It kind of reminded me of someone who has a sick dog and dumps it off at the shelter in favor a brand new puppy.

I appreciated Teddy more than Maddie in this scene and that should never happen.

• Love 1

So if you want me to buy a story in which her child is so severely emotionally stunted that she shows zero compassion when her beloved cool dad is dying, you're going to have to give me more than "Maddie's a bratty teen."

I don't know, maybe Maddie needed to throw herself a pity party last night and we were just "lucky" enough to witness it. Her comment to Teddy about only seeing Deacon dying when she looked at him rang true to some degree, but I was surprised that it wasn't tempered with any worry for him, no concern about the possible transplant and all it entails, and no concern about the possibility of him not getting the transplant. Here's hoping she comes around in the next episode or I'm driving to Nashville to kick her in the tush.

• Love 2

There seems to be little continuity in these characters from week to week.  So I won't comment on all that false drama.  I just thought that the duet at the end was so sweet, mama and daddy singing to the new baby girl, whose name, IMHO, should be Melody.

• Love 1

I do think Teddy's being set up by the hooker, there's really no reason for the Feds to be involved in this otherwise. I don't think he's going to die, but he will be leaving the scene for a while, headed to the big house. Extortion, embezzlement...those won't go over too well. 

I loved the scene between Deacon and Teddy last night, Teddy's response to Deacon's news was spot-on and I loved how they set things aside for Maddie and Daphne's sake. Liked too Teddy encouraging Maddie to stick it out. 

Thought Juliette came off a completely ridiculous last night up until the point she went into labor. Who reacts that way to someone shooting her ex? Juliette wouldn't. And that tantrum was just off the charts stupid. Did laugh at the comment about Rayna's stupid, perfect hair, 'cause it is really - her hair even looked terrific in both scenes with Deacon.

I think Teddy should never have gone to the hooker's house and then he wouldn't be in this stupid situation. Remember how the feds were surprised to hear his voice on the wire tap and said, "Is that the mayor?" Instead of backing away and playing it cool, the loser lets this woman convince him to resort to blackmail and embezzlement and extortion. She was dealing with a lot of powerful men who may have been up to goodness knows what and idiot Teddy stepped right in it. I suspect he's going to go to jail or at least be in a world of legal trouble. He was good with the whole Deacon has cancer thing, though.

Juliette was totally crazy, but I love her baby nursery. That's a lucky little girl, but I hope she doesn't have a crazy name like Cadence or Harmony. Throughout her labor I kept thinking, my, that's some serious lipstick!

• Love 2

I understand that Maddie is a confused, angry teenager, but my heart was breaking for Deacon while watching the scene between Maddie and Teddy when she asked him not to get sick until he was very old.  I'm so glad Deacon didn't hear that conversation.  It just came off as if he had been the "cool dad" - the one to be around when he was singing with her and teaching her to play guitar, but when he became sick he suddenly wasn't worthy of being around.  I get what the scene was about.  Maddie is scared of losing Deacon and, right now at least in Maddie's mind, Teddy is the father who isn't going anywhere.  That doesn't make it any less sad to me.  Maybe they could balance out these scenes for me with an occasional one of Deacon cleaning out his rain gutters.

I actually felt bad for Teddy in that scene. Maddie's upset and scared to death of losing her "cool" dad, so now suddenly Teddy's the one she wants to be with again and he's left to do the responsible, caring, respectful thing and tell her to get over herself and think about Deacon. It would have been so easy for him to just take her with him, but he didn't. Major props to Teddy last night for handling Maddie.

I really hope Gunnar and Scarlette don't get back together.

Count me in here. Gunnar and Scarlett make beautiful music together, but that should be the extent of it. I much prefer Scarlett with the hot doctor and Gunnar hanging with his guy friends.

• Love 4

I don't know; like the name "Nina," and I think "Talia" could be kind of cute. I like both of them better than "Sparkle" or "Harmony." I think the "first-time parents think up insane and gross names for baby" trope is overplayed.

I'm glad these people have someone as mature as Daphne in their lives. I wouldn't mind if Daphne grew into a little bit of snark. I think she'd be cute as the Dinah Lord of Nashville.

• Love 2
Daphne, on the other hand, is hilariously wise and in control. She's the one to watch out for! "We should just let that...simmer."

She must take after her Aunt Tandy and, perhaps, Grandpa. Cool on the outside and a player.

I had no idea they had listed a bunch of potential baby names for Juliette's baby. When she and Avery were singing that song to the baby with the word "star" so pronounced in it, and then Juliette said, I know what we should name her, I thought she was going to say, "Stella," which means star in latin. Plus, it kind of sounds good with Barclay.

So is Bucky deliberately sabotaging Hwy 65 because Rayna won't let him sign whoever he wants? What a back-stabbing tool!!

Lot of diva's tonight...Juliette's hissy fit was just so over the top, I was so glad Rayna tore into her. Seriously? How dare someone shoot their ex on the day of her shower?

And Maddie, girl, Deacon is really sick, so this is not about you.

I'll even add Gunnar to the diva list. Get over it, dude.

I found something else to do during the Teddy-hooker scenes and the Teddy-blackmail scenes. He was great with Deacon and Maddie though.

Daphne - love her!

Sadie -Bye, you were a little distraction that didn't mean anything, so by all means cause the only person who ever supported you to possibly lose her company!

I don't know how many episodes are left this season, but I really, really hope that Deacon's illness is not a cliff-hanger.

• Love 3