Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E14: The Live Playoffs, Part 1

• Start Topic

(edited)

Or know why the opening scene was captioned "Recorded tonight"?

ETA: I'm watching the East Coast brodcast.

ETA: I don't think Carson said "live"once throughout the show, though the taped bits from the coaches did refer to the upcoming live show. Think they taped it so they could watch the NCAA final?

Edited by DownTheShore
(edited)

As I watch:

Team Pharrell

Caitlin: Just gorgeous.  Just a beautiful, clear, unforced tone.  She sounded so comfortable, relaxed, and natural.  If she doesn't get the vote, she might get Pharrell's save.

Lowell: Oh, Lowell.  I love you so much.  But that was not a good choice.  You're a crooner, so stick with the crooning!  "Jealous" was not the right choice for you.  If you're not voted in, Pharrell's not saving you, I don't think.  That wasn't worthy of the top twelve.  Not at all.

Mia: She kept it nice and simple with only two guitars in the background.  This really allowed her voice to shine through in such a cutting way that I was moved the whole time.  She'll get the viewer vote, I think.

Koryn: Excellent vocals, but the song could've been more exciting.  Might have to rely on Pharrell's save.

Sawyer: Flawless, as usual.  A terrific song choice for him.  I quite think that he'll get the viewer's vote, because the pimp slot went to him.  He'll be the freshest in the viewers' minds.  So I don't think Pharrell will have to save him.

Team Blake

Sarah: Amazing performance, not that I expected anything different out of her.  The music got louder than she was at one point, but I don't think it hurt her too much.  Probably getting America's vote.  Won't have to worry.

Hannah: Flawless vocals, and a decent song choice, but I think it could've been a touch more exciting than it was.  Might get the viewer vote, but I think she'll have to rely on Blake's save.

Corey: I'm not a country buff.  But even if I were, I'd still have fallen asleep listening to his performance.  But the dead grandfather story will help him, so he might pull in the viewer votes.  If not, it's interesting to wonder whether or not Blake will save him over any of the women on his team.

Brooke: I love "Love Me Like You Do."  I really do.  And I dare say that she did a good job with it.  Better than Ellie?  Hard to say.  But I think she definitely beat

(which was montaged).  I agree with Pharrell, though, that she should've made it more her own.  Might have to rely on Blake's save.

Meghan: Probably the best or second-best on Blake's team tonight.  Vocals were damn near flawless, the song was engaging, and even the audience seemed to love her a lot.  She might not even need Blake's save.  If she does, though, then I think she's got it.

Predictions: Oh, damn.  This is just so tough, because Pharrell and Blake both have such strong teams this season.  But I think . . . Sawyer and Mia will get voted through by America.  The last spot is up for grabs, but I think it'll go to either Caitlin or Koryn.  Love Lowell, but that wasn't worthy of making it through, despite what the coaches all said.  On Blake's team, I think Sarah's a lock for that viewer vote.  Either Meghan or Corey will get the other vote-in.  If Corey gets it, then I think Blake saves Meghan and drops Brooke and Hannah.  If Meghan gets it, then I think Blake saves either Hannah or Corey.  Brooke is screwed, either way, if she doesn't get the vote-in.

Very good episode.  Let's see if Adam and Christina's teams bring it tomorrow!

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 1

I didn't love the one girl who sang How Great Thou Art. It felt like she was shouting the whole time.  Sometimes I wonder what they hear live as opposed to what we hear at home.

• Love 2

I just love young Sawyer.  He is a young artist who knows exactly who he is and what he wants musically.  He is a prodigy who reminds me of a young Dylan who knew  himself musically at about the same age.

• Love 7
(edited)

I thought the "How Great Thou Art" was a stolen page out of Blake's 2014 playbook to court the Christian vote. Which was smart, because I can't remember that singer's earlier performances.

I agree, poor song choice for Lowell and I think that it might doom him regarding a coach's save, if the public doesn't save him. Too bad, because I like him.

Caitlin has a nice voice, but her song choice didn't hold my attention.

Corey sings well, but there's just no pizazz, IMO. He always looks so damn serious.

I thought that Mia had a great song for her voice and style.

I think that Blake's team is going to wind up being comprised of the female belters - Sarah, Hannah, and Meghan.

Good song choice for Sawyer and even though Adam tried to make his age an issue, it was immaterial. He should get voted through.

Edited by DownTheShore
  • Love 4

I'm still torn over the "Playoffs" everytime we get to this stage. Losing 8 people after the 1st week of Live is kinda brutal.

Why can't they just eliminate the bottom 3 each week until Top 8, then drop 2 per week until Finale?

• Love 2

Oh, and if anyone knows the iTunes count, I'd love to see it as it goes along.  As far as I know, Blake's the only one who keeps an eye on it and makes his decisions based on that (as shown by him advancing Jessie Pitts over James David Carter last season, since she was charting much better than he was, despite him having a stronger voice).

• Love 1
I thought the "How Great Thou Art" was a stolen page out of Blake's 2014 playbook to court the Christian vote. Which was smart, because I can't remember that singer's earlier performances.

Yeah, but played the Jesus card too early.  Blake waited until Final 4 to play that with Craig Wayne Boyd.  Koryn's performance was good but unfortunately everyone will compare her to Carrie Underwood's transcendant version.

• Love 4
(edited)

I think that Blake's team is going to wind up being comprised of the female belters - Sarah, Hannah, and Meghan.

I think this is how it should turn out.  Blake seems to like Corey, but I think he'll dump him if he doesn't chart high enough on iTunes.

ETA: He's apparently charting well, though.  Damn.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 2
(edited)

Watched the performances online.  Thought it was a pretty good night overall.

Team Blake:

-Hannah was my favorite.  

-Corey's performance was also very good.  Vocals weren't perfect but he showed a lot of emotion that made the performance effective.

-Meghan and Sarah were good, although I felt like their performances needed more energy.  Between the two, I liked Meghan more.

-Brooke was just bad.  Pretty voice but there were some issues and more energy was needed.  

Team Pharrell

-Caitlin was my favorite.  Probably because she is the most mature of the group.  Vocals were great and she sold the performance well.  

-Mia and Sawyer were good.  They sounded great but they're also so young.  When they perform, I feel like they're hitting all the notes right but I don't really feel the emotion.  Their song choices needed more grit or something that is lacking in their voices and probably only comes with age.  I found myself thinking of Tony Lucca's version of Trouble when Sawyer was singing.  

-I don't like Koryn.  The quivering trait in her voice is unpleasant to my ears.  

-Lowell was just bad.  I don't see how Jealous was a good song choice for him.  Isn't he a crooner/jazz guy?

Edited by Noreaster

I love everyone on Blakes team. Team Pharrell I'm more iffy on. I think Sawyer is great and deserves to go far. Mia might be the other one I liked. The girl who sang Beyonce was talented but bland. The other girl was just shouting a lot and I felt like she did the same thing the week before.

Mia blew me away. Sawyer was great. Those two should get the public vote. It's really too bad that we'll have to lose one of Caitlin or Koryn. I'm hoping Pharrell chooses Caitlin even though I think Koryn had the better performance tonight. 

Terrible song choices got Brooke and Hannah. Both of their vocals were good but the songs weren't right. The opposite is true for Corey. Meghan and Sarah fought wit the band some. Meghan won, Sarah didn't. I expect will get a Corey/Meghan public vote..but I think Blake will pick Brooke as his save. 

• Love 1

Corey doesn't have a big range.  I think that's why Blake gave him that song. I like the tone of voice but the country market is just flooded with dudes like him right now. 

Now Mia Z....if she wins, I really think she could become The Voice's first "big star."  She has just enough quirk to be unique but not annoying.  And for her age, that was a really subtle and compelling performance.  Even her name... "Mia Z."  Don't even know her full last name, but "Mia Z" that's a star name right there.

Sawyer is just one of those natural born artists.  I looked up some of his originals on youtube....and man, that kid writes some ridiculously deep, dark lyrics for a 16 year-old. It's like he was born in the wrong era.  

• Love 2

I like Sarah. I like her voice. But I hate Freebird with the fire of a thousand suns. Since I'm from the south I know that's sacrilege but I sure wish she had chosen another song.

Blake put his eggs in the wrong country basket in my opinion. He should have kept the other young guy (can't remember his name).

Sawyer is so cute and I predict he will get Pharrel his first win.

• Love 5
(edited)

Why does Pharrell keep coaching Lowell away from crooning? That, plus a kind of jazzy style, was what made him interesting. Now he's singing Nick Jonas like Adam Levine. Sad.\

On the plus side, so far Pharrell is showing good coaching skills in other ways this season and it continued tonight. I liked his calm, uncompetitive ways and little things, like how he encouraged Sawyer to tell the band what he wanted them to do behind him.

I agree with Blake. Pharrell may be able to take this with Sawyer. 

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1

Blake put his eggs in the wrong country basket in my opinion. He should have kept the other young guy (can't remember his name).

Cody Wickline.  And he was much more memorable than Corey.

But Corey is apparently logging in some serious iTunes voting, so the unmemorable guy may be around for some time, I'm afraid.

• Love 2
(edited)

http://www.livepopbars2.com/lpb1024.php?Region=143441&Albums=0&ref=lpb1&t=1428382449

31   Sawyer Trouble

35   Maroon 5 Sugar

78   Mia Z Aint No Sunshine

97   Koryn Hawthorne How Great Thou Art

104  Corey Kent White To Make You Feel My Love

150  Meghan Linsey Love Runs Out

159  Hannah Kirby I Feel The Earth Move

178  Sarah Potenza Freebird

329  Brooke Adee Love Me Like You Do

543  Lowell Oakley Jealous

863  Caitlin Caporale The Best Thing I Never Had

Edited by yourpointis
  • Love 1

Thank you for that. Nice to see Sawyer doing better than Adam even though "he's so young."  (I knew what Adam meant though as I actually was thinking the same thing. Sawyer is a natural artist though. If they don't make bad song choices, I think Pharrell may win with him.)

With all the songs to choose from, I'd have never gone with "How Great Thou Art". But she's doing well on iTunes, so maybe it will work as a strategy. I would keep

Sawyer, Mia, Sarah, Meaghan and Lowell (even though he gave a bad performance. If he can just get back to something with crooning/jazz and stop trying to go pop I still think he might go far).  Of the rest, Corey should go first--he's so painfully ordinary. But he won't, because he's cute.  Blake probably knows he's got that fan base, but I really wish he'd chosen Cody instead (and given him a better song, too).

• Love 1
(edited)

http://www.livepopbars2.com/lpb1024.php?Region=143441&Albums=0&ref=lpb1&t=1428382449

31   Sawyer Trouble

35   Maroon 5 Sugar

Looking at those numbers thus far . . .

Team Pharrell

Yeah, Sawyer and Mia are almost definitely in with the viewers' votes.  I'd thought that Caitlin stood a chance at the save by Pharrell, but assuming he's taking a page from Blake's book and watching the iTunes chart, he might pass her over for Koryn or even Lowell.  While I'd love Lowell to stick around and actually get to croon, if Pharrell's smart, he'll take Koryn instead.

Team Blake

Yeah, Corey is talented, but more so than Sarah, Hannah, or Meghan?  I think not.  Sucks that it looks like Blake's gonna have to let one of them go before him just because his Twitter followers are likely helping him chart so high.  They really should've just stuck to simple call-and-text voting.  Brooke is gonna be toast, though, just like I'd thought.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
(edited)

I'd like to call a moment of silence for Xtina's side eye/stank eye towards Koryn after How great thou art. That was epic.

I thought Mia Z showed some restraint by not adding in her patented whistle tone notes....but IMO she could have made it more haunting if she would've kept it more even more minimalist. Still absolutely one of Pharrell's top two and probably going to get one of the voted in slots along w/ Sawyer. I'm struggling to deal w/ Sawyer, even though they're the same age his version of the Blues (coupled w/ his Mmmbop era Hanson looks) is less believeable that Mia Z's Winehouse-ish spin on the blues. YMMV of course.

That leaves Caitlyn (perfectly acceptable, minus the wow factor), Koryn (didn't reach the heights of her performance last week), and Lowell. Honestly, I think they're should've been a way to do that song in a more Buble, croonery way. Heck if one of the also rans on the Voice UK can bust out a jazz swing take on Fancy, Jealous absolutely would have been in that wheelhouse. But the editing of the pre-performance package made it seem like Lowell was kind of on his own, so Pharrell may not have offered much help in the arrangement of the song. My gut feeling is Pharrell will go w/ Koryn for his save....but it wouldn't shock me if he picked Caitlyn either.

It appears that Corey is relatively safe based on the backstory w/ his grandfather passing away plus his pre-established fan base (and the country vote in general). My guess is that the other spot goes to Meghan, w/ Hannah being the other possibility. I think Sarah is toast (Freebird? Really? Freebird?), and Brooke's only prayer for Blake's save is if Blake decides to get extremely strategic.....and basically just clears the path for either Meghan or Hannah to have that Southern rock w/ a tinge of country lane all to themselves. If I was getting 15 to 1 odds on that happening I might take that bet.

Can we up the song choice game a little? Ain't no Sunshine for the 10,000th time on a reality show, Trouble, a Female empowerment song via Beyonce, To Make you Feel my Love. At least Lowell, Brooke, and Meghan went (or were allowed to go) reasonably current.....to varying degress of success.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 3
(edited)

I was on twitter during most of the show and Corey's name came up a lot even with that mediocre performance tonight. I knew he was a good pick for Blake because he's got that cookie cutter/generic blond thing that teenagers just love. Plus he's country. Jackpot for Blake. He'll probably go a lot further than he should.

Sawyer is very good, to put it mildly, but has some room to grow as a performer. I loved Mia's performance. She has so much restraint as a vocalist and she's still so young. Pharrell pandered with Koryn's song choice but she was well received from what I saw on twitter (and it appears I-tunes as well) so it was a saavy, very-Blake move. Unfortunately I think it's between Cailtyn and Koryn and I sort of don't want to lose either. At the same time I think Caitlyn may come across as "too polished" and the viewers may never warm up to her even though she has a beautiful voice. It'll be interesting to see who Pharrell chooses if it comes down to them, which I think it will. I don't think Lowell has a chance.

Overall good show - although I question some of the positioning. Why did Blake's team get three back to back performances - two of which were the weakest of the entire night - in the final hour?

Edited by Village
  • Love 1

31   Sawyer Trouble

35   Maroon 5 Sugar

Actually Maroon 5 are no 8 on Itunes. They have been in the Itunes top ten for more than 2 months.

• Love 1

At the same time I think Caitlyn may come across as "too polished" and the viewers may never warm up to her even though she has a beautiful voice. It'll be interesting to see who Pharrell chooses if it comes down to them, which I think it will. I don't think Lowell has a chance.

Caitlin came across rather vanilla to me instead of polished. It's a good thing she didn't audition for Idol, because I don't see her winning over there either. She's like that beautiful generic singer that lost to Taylor Hicks. Lowell shouldn't have a chance just like Sugar shouldn't have last season, but I don't know what Pharrell is doing anymore.

Blake's team is pretty strong. I'd hate to see anyone go, except for Corey, whom I have zero recollection of. Brooke's blind audition was in my Top5 this season, but she seems to have faded since. She struggled on the high notes tonight, not sure if it's the wrong song or the right song with a wrong key for her.

Meghan needed some *performance* with Love Runs Out. Great vocals, but where's the swag? Head bobs, foot taps.... anything? She pretty much stood still or walked around stage (not to the beat). If I watched that muted, I would have thought she sang a power ballad.

Hope they disinfect Mia's mic cause she was practically making out with it. I don't understand why singers like to press the mic on their mouth.

I miss Anthony Riley and his happy feet.

• Love 1

I freaken LOVE Sarah Petenza. I loved her from the very start and I'm really bummed to see she's not charting well (didn't get "amazing" reviews from the other coaches either). I fear for her since I really want her to go through and I'm not sure Blake would save her if she doesn't get America's vote. Blake has a very good team overall, Brook and Corey are weaker than the other three, but based on itunes I guess Corey's a lock for the next round (which is unfortunate since the team's best three all deserve to go through).

My favorite performance from team Pharrell was MiaZ. The song is way overused I agree, but she did some great stuff with it. I didn't find Caitlin to be "amazing" at all, and I really didn't get the R&B choice for Lowell who was pretty bad. Poor kid. I know a lot of viewers complain about the too positive reviews on the show, but I love how the coaches always find something nice to say even when there's pretty much none. The Voice being a "nice" show is one of the things I've always liked about it.

Unpopular opinion here: I don't get the Sawyer love. He's fine, but I honestly do not see the "special" thing that everyone is talking about practically everywhere. I keep waiting to "get" it, and I just don't. Would he be this popular had he been in his twenties? Maybe, I don't know. The only thing that stands out to me is his perfect gorgeous hair. Oh well. Maybe next round.

• Love 4
(edited)

With Team Pharrell, I thought going into the lives that Sawyer and Mia were locks to be the public's vote. But Koryn did so well that I wouldn't be surprised if she knocks Mia out of the top 2 spot and Pharrell will have to use the save on her. Either way, I think this will be Pharrell's for sure top 3 going into next week. Hoping he doesn't make another bizarre  save like he did last season. Caitlin and Lowell did fine too, but they were not standouts. Caitlin has a great voice, but she really lacks stage presence. Lowell did what he could with that song, but it was not the right song for him at all.

As for Team Blake, I think Corey was the only one that got a great song. But I agreed with Adam that he could've done a bit more with it. Everyone else on Blake's team were victims of weird song choices. Didn't like Freebird from Sarah or I Feel The Earth Move from Hannah. And Love Runs Out for Meghan? Considering the type of artist she wants to be, I just thought that song choice came out of left field. She sounded good on it though. And Brooke? I just don't know what to say. What an unfortunate song choice. I still think she has a lot of potential. She did okay with the song, but it was not her best by a long shot. I don't know what Blake was thinking giving her that song. Of this bunch, I think Meghan and Corey will be the public's vote and Blake will save either Hannah or Brooke. 

Edited by kelnic86

My predictions:  

Team Pharrell: America Saves: Sawyer & Mia Z, Pharrell saves Koryn.  (Or maybe Caitlyn) I do not think he will save Lowell again.  I think he even warned him as much during the rehearsal time.

Team Blake: Amercia Saves: Corey.  I am not sure about the other America Save- I think it will be either Megan or Sarah.  Blake Saves Brooke.  Blake has a very hard time not saving the young females on his team and he's very strategic.  Megan, Sarah & Hannah all occupy the same space musically and potentially split votes.  Last night wasn't Brooke's greatest night but she's put forth some good performances.  I actually really liked her arrangement of "Love Me Like You Do" and gave her all my Team Blake votes.  If America saves Brooke & Corey then I think Blake will save Megan.

I loved the first half of Sawyer's performance and was bored with the 2nd half.  He is talented though and I want and expect he'll move on.

I just don't see what's so great about Megan.  She has this "heard it before"/"been there done that"/"sounds like so many others" tonal quality to her voice that just doesn't seem impressive to me.   She is hitting the notes and all, so if she moves on I'll be fine with it. I'm just not seeing what others are.

(edited)

I just don't see what's so great about Megan.  She has this "heard it before"/"been there done that"/"sounds like so many others" tonal quality to her voice that just doesn't seem impressive to me.   She is hitting the notes and all, so if she moves on I'll be fine with it. I'm just not seeing what others are.

I couldn't agree with you more.  I just do not understand all the Megan love.  I would much rather have Sarah than Megan but I'm afraid for Sarah that if America does not save her that she will be gone. (See my post above for why I think that Blake would save Brooke over Sarah.)

Edited by Kcat1971
  • Love 3

I don't get why Brooke got such negative reviews compared to the other contestants. I liked the song choice for her and her voice on it. She sounded great with the many textures in her voice, especially her lower register. It's rare for female singers on these kind of shows to have such a strong lower register, so I really appreciated it. She only sounded iffy on the falsetto part. I don't think she was stiff either. I can't believe the other coaches gave Lowell and Corey a pass over Brooke's performance. I'm hoping Blake's soft heart for younger singers comes into play here and he saves her. She has so much potential.

It's a matter of taste, but I don't like the way Koryn sings. She does this weird break and vibrato at the same time.

My Top 3 of the night (may not be best technically, but what I enjoyed):

Brooke

Mia Z

Meghan

All the guys (Lowell, Corey and Sawyer) sucked, imo. Sawyer started out right but went flat towards the end. Lowell was a train-wreck and Corey was cheesy. I'm actually disappointed with Corey the most because I liked him in the other rounds.

Caitlin is unfortunately a very forgettable performer. Sarah wasn't much better.

I never try to guess what Pharrell will do, especially after he cut Elyjuh last time. I would have bet big money that he was taking his mini-me to the end. At least this time he's not weirdly infatuated with a contestant.

• Love 1
(edited)

Actually Maroon 5 are no 8 on Itunes. They have been in the Itunes top ten for more than 2 months.

After doing a refresh and selecting US singles, Maroon 5 Sugar is showing at no 8 and 34. Also Sawyer has moved up to no 16 and his closest competitor is Mia Z at no 50.

ETA: Koryn at 76, Corey Kent White 77, Meghan 101, Hannah 125, Sarah 130, Brooke 228, Lowell 446, Caitlin 589.

Edited by yourpointis

I don't get why Brooke got such negative reviews compared to the other contestants. I liked the song choice for her and her voice on it. She sounded great with the many textures in her voice, especially her lower register. It's rare for female singers on these kind of shows to have such a strong lower register, so I really appreciated it. She only sounded iffy on the falsetto part. I don't think she was stiff either. I can't believe the other coaches gave Lowell and Corey a pass over Brooke's performance. I'm hoping Blake's soft heart for younger singers comes into play here and he saves her. She has so much potential.

I am on the same page as you when it comes to Brooke.  I really liked her performance and I don't know why she got so much negative compared to the pass Lowell & Corey got.  Maybe she is considered more of a threat by the other coaches than we realize.

While we are watching the show I often let my 8 year old son play with the Voice App and give out whatever votes he chooses.  Then after he goes to bed I adjust them as I see fit.  He gave full 10s to MiaZ, Brooke & Sawyer and he gave a 5 to Koryn.  He's usually pretty generous with his votes but that was all he awarded last night so I left them exactly that way.

• Love 1

I kinda like Blake calling the ladies on his team "Sis". I've seen him do this before and it sounds nice and genuine. If we're overusing "bro", we should do it with sis too.

I giggled at the different coaching styles Pharrell and Blake have. Pharrell is all about embracing your individuality and otherness and feeling, while Blake is like "You better be on pitch, dammit!". Can't really blame him because the minimum requirement of a singer is being on pitch, imo. That's why I'm never a fan of Adam Levine live. Sometimes he hit the sweet spot but most of the time his pitch is all over the place and it hurts my ears because I'm sensitive about such thing.

Both Pharrell and Blake's teams had talent.

Caitlin to me is someone who has talent but no presence. She is charisma free and that is hurting her. I mean Lowell who I thought was horrible is a head of her on iTunes. 

Hannah has talent and presence but I hate that thing she does with her hand when she is singing. It takes me out of her performances. Corey is just pretty. I mean there like a dozen like him on Country radios now days. 

(edited)

Sad to see Caitlin doing so bad.  The girl can sing.  She reminds me of Carrie Underwood when she was on Idol.  She has the voice and she can grow in the other areas but looks like she won't get the chance.

Anyway, I somehow fell asleep on Mia so I gave her 7 stars based on  the comments here. 

I can't help but love Sawyer.  First of all he can sing.  His voice doesn't matchi his look and that is intriguing.  And he's adorable. The hair. If he didn't have the first, the other three wouldn't matter to me. As for his youth, he convinced me more than Megan did.

I like Koryn enough from previous rounds to root for her. 

Edited by angelita100
  • Love 1

Itunes as of voting close

(http://headlineplanet.com/home/2015/04/07/the-voices-sawyer-fredericks-mia-z-climb-itunes-sales-chart/)

15) Sawyer Fredericks – Team Pharrell – Trouble
48) Mia Z – Team Pharrell – Ain’t No Sunshine
72) Corey Kent White – Team Blake – Make You Feel My Love
73) Koryn Hawthorne – Team Pharrell – How Great Thou Art
98) Meghan Linsey – Team Blake – Love Runs Out
119) Sarah Potenza – Team Blake – Free Bird
121) Hannah Kirby – Team Blake – I Feel the Earth Move
220) Brooke Adee – Team Blake – Love Me Like You Do
427) Lowell Oakley – Team Pharrell – Jealous
552) Caitlin Caporale – Team Pharrell – Best Thing I Never Had

If I was in charge of picking the three that go to the next round I'd go with:

Team Blake:

1. Hannah

2. Meghan

3. Brooke

Sarah's screeching is everything I hate in faux rockers on these singing shows. And Corey was the worst singer by far last night.

Team Pharrel:

1. Mia

2. Sawyer

3. Koryn

Koryn was awful. I've heard so many better versions of that song but she is the only one from her team that is worth keeping at this point. I hate the religious pandering though.

Caitlyn let the background singers do too much of the heavy lifting in the song IMO. It was a bad arrangement.

What I think is going to happen:

Team Blake - America Saves - Corey (he's going to make the finale as the only country artist and is dull as dishwater) and Meghan. Blake picks Hannah. The coaches all loved her performance and Blake couldn't stop raving about her perfect pitch.

Team Pharrel - America Saves - Sawyer and Mia. Pharrel saves Koryn or Caitlin. I think he wasn't thrilled with Lowell last night and he just isn't good enough to continue.

• Love 2

fnftw said: Unpopular opinion here: I don't get the Sawyer love. He's fine, but I honestly do not see the "special" thing that everyone is talking about practically everywhere. 

I basically agree. I lived in Washington, D.C. for about 3 years (1979-1982) and was heavily into the folk music scene. Attended many events, house concerts, singalongs, etc. and there were plenty of "Sawyers" around--they were just older (and in some cases, more musically adept, IMHO).  I'm not saying Sawyer isn't fun or talented, but yeah, I think his age and presentation (with the hat and hair) is a big part of his appeal. The judges treat him like he's the second coming; I see it more as one of those cases of "being in the right place at the right time".

• Love 2

I have to say that I am annoyed at how much The Voice has turned into American Idol. Same old, tired, cliche song choices. Does anyone need another version of 90% of last night's song choices? The only two song choices I liked were Meghan and Brooke's. I am horrified by the shit that Adam is going to trot out tonight. I just hope we don't get any Stevie Wonder or Michael Jackson.

• Love 2

Who will be the #2 seller this week, hmm.

Sawyer locked up the top seller for auditions, battles, and knockouts, and unless tonight has a big surprise should lock down the top playoff seller as well.

I kinda like Blake calling the ladies on his team "Sis". I've seen him do this before and it sounds nice and genuine. If we're overusing "bro", we should do it with sis too.

I think that's kind of a country thing.  My grandfather was from Missouri and I don't ever remember him calling any of his children or grandchildren by name.  The girls were all Sis and the boys were Butch, even after we were adults.

I don't get why Brooke got such negative reviews compared to the other contestants.

I thought this was odd too considering there were other contestants that were lacking in their performances as well and nothing was said. I'm not sure why they did that. To fair though, the comments weren't bad. But on a show where everything is "great" or "amazing" a little comment like "loosen up" can stick out like sore thumb. I like Brooke and I thought she did ok. But I just didn't like the song choice for her. I do hope she can still make the Top 12.

• Love 3