Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

"Foot underwear," I like that. :)

IMHO(which I realize that in the grand scheme of things, means absolutely nothing), they should wait until the seventh or even eighth inning to announce a "no- hitter alert."  Too many things can happen in three innings, as we've just seen.

• Love 1

It sounds like David Wright is done.  He has been in rehab with his back forever now, and played in a couple of simulated games last week.  The Mets are holding a live press conference with right now - the Mets will activate him on September 28 for the final homestand at Citi Field against the Marlins, and will start at 3rd Base on Saturday, September 29.  No one used the "R" word, but Wright is in tears as he is thanking people, and the way they are talking, it sounds like they are doing this as his opportunity for one last time on the field. 

ETA: A reporter just asked "Is this it?" to clarify, and he said yes, because the doctors don't believe he will improve, and he cannot play in his current condition.  It was a great ride - he has always been a classy guy, and I'll miss him.

• Love 6

This Yankee fan simply adores David Wright. Such a pro and a good individual. I will forever wish the Mets had won the WS in 2015 so that he could enjoy it and maybe he could have retired in 2016 or 2017. 

I wish Jeter had showed this much emotion but then again it was his own decision to wrap it up after a stellar career. It's David's decision but it was a struggle to reach this decision and the realization that you just can't do it anymore probably tugs at his heart. 

I took a look at him in the dugout today and his smiles were amazing. He just so loves being a ballplayer. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, prican58 said:

This Yankee fan simply adores David Wright. Such a pro and a good individual.

I was at Shea for a Met-Yankee game in 2006, game was tied in the bottom of the ninth, runner at second, two out, Mariano Rivera pitching for the Yankees.  They intentionally walk a guy to face Wright, still a young player, and set up a force all around.  I was sitting next to a couple of Yankee fans, and said "Shouldn't have done that, it only pisses off Wright."  They stopped laughing when David singled in the winning run. 

• Love 5

I really hope some team (my Yankees? Nah.) beats the crap out of Boston at some point.  I want David (idiot) Price to be awful. And Chris Sale just not be able to get anyone out (don't want him to be hurt, just awful.) I know this Boston team is way better than last season's team but I'd like to see them go down like Frazier...and I don't mean Clint. Or Todd.

Does that make me a bad person? 

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, prican58 said:

I really hope some team (my Yankees? Nah.) beats the crap out of Boston at some point.  I want David (idiot) Price to be awful. And Chris Sale just not be able to get anyone out (don't want him to be hurt, just awful.) I know this Boston team is way better than last season's team but I'd like to see them go down like Frazier...and I don't mean Clint. Or Todd.

Does that make me a bad person? 

Well, the Astros are certainly up to the task. They took 2 of 3 from them just last week on Fenway turf and probably would’ve swept if it hadn’t been for that bullshit out call on Altuve at the plate. 

I watch too much sports.

Luke Voit is up and Michael Kay mentions that Luke keeps his top button unbuttoned, and that has been since his St. Louis days.

I say aloud “must be a St. Louis thing because Holliday did that too” and from the TV I hear Paul O’Neill say “that must be a St. Louis thing because Matt Holliday did it too.”

For the record, I hated that look on Holliday and I give Luke the side-eye too, except I give Luke more leeway because he hits balls out of the park.

And all the bellyaching about the short porch in right can shuttie, because until MLB makes every park uniform, the Yankees can make their outfield look however they damn well want.

• Love 4

I wore a Yankees shirt Tuesday and Wednesday and didn’t today so I'll have to take the blame for this one.  And it’s not even the loss that’s the problem, it’s that the stupid Sox are going to dance at Yankee Stadium which is unforgivable.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

I give Luke more leeway because he hits balls out of the park.

Ah, the longball atones for much.  Mojo digs the longball. 

Me, I side-eye Voit because he reminds me of Jason Giambi, which means I suspect him of doping. I have no evidence for this! Feel free to dismiss me!

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Poor guy.  Why wouldn’t the Rangers let him finish the year?

I know. A week and a half left in the season and they had to do it now? Also, this season was largely not Banister’s fault anyway, they gutted the team of all its pitchers. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Poor guy.  Why wouldn’t the Rangers let him finish the year?

@ebk57 Kenny Singleton said that Eddie Murray is the man and I want to know if that’s true.

Although I have no idea what Kenny was referring to, Eddie (Eddie! Eddie!) Murray is, indeed, the man!  (Have I mentioned that Kenny Singleton is a really nice guy? Because he is.)

Word is that Buck is out at the end of the season. This will make me very sad.  I love Buck. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Word is that Buck is out at the end of the season. This will make me very sad.  I love Buck. 

I love him too.  The only silver lining is if he goes back into broadcasting.

Honestly Kenny didn’t really give any context to his statement!  Paul was talking about he saw Eddie before the game and Kenny then says that Eddie is the man.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I love him too.  The only silver lining is if he goes back into broadcasting.

Honestly Kenny didn’t really give any context to his statement!  Paul was talking about he saw Eddie before the game and Kenny then says that Eddie is the man.

I agree with Kenny!  Eddie has just come back into the organization in some kind of official role (possibly getting some of the new kids on the right track), so he'll be around a lot more going forward.  Brooks will be around more, too.  So even if the team sucks, the front office will be cool. 

Buck going back to broadcasting would be ideal - if he actually doesn't come back here.

And may I just say I hate that noise thing the Yankees do when a visiting player strikes out... unless it's Chris Davis.  I'm still peeved that we gave him an extension.  He's awful. 

Ha!  Flash was telling a story about how when he was with the Marlins and Mo was pitching, and he was already annoyed when he went up to bat because he knew he was going to hear that whistle.  He imitated the noise when he was telling it and it was pretty funny.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

Ha!  Flash was telling a story about how when he was with the Marlins and Mo was pitching, and he was already annoyed when he went up to bat because he knew he was going to hear that whistle.  He imitated the noise when he was telling it and it was pretty funny.

MLB The Show even does it(obviously slightly modified since I'm sure it's a trademark of PC Richard and Son).

25 minutes ago, mojoween said:

How fun would it be if baseball sweaters became a thing again?

I would wear the one on DeVormer TODAY.

Except for the Yankee logo, I would, too.  You'd think somebody would be marketing this sort of thing.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, mojoween said:

How fun would it be if baseball sweaters became a thing again?

Do the Yankees not have one? The Astros ones are all over the place down here. Kate Upton wore one to the World Series last year. Kind of ironic, considering it's about 100 degrees for most of baseball season. But when it's a monsoon-rainy day and you're damp from getting to the game, you end up freezing your ass off in the stadium air conditioning - the sweaters come in handy.

DM_Pa61UQAA3CI0.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Yankees clinch a playoff berth with walk off double from Hicks. Step one. Clinch home field for one game play in game. Judge is this teams MVP because they were comepletely moribund without him. He doesn't guarantee a W but he seems to guarantee a good team effort. 

• Love 1
On 9/22/2018 at 6:31 AM, smittykins said:

MLB The Show even does it(obviously slightly modified since I'm sure it's a trademark of PC Richard and Son).

When the PC Richard commercials come on I don’t even pay attention to them because there isn’t a store around here.  That’s funny to me that it’s a sponsored sound.