Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, mojoween said:

Leave the kid alone, media.  You're not helping by making him feel bad.

It's New York City and it's the Yankees.  If he's going to feel bad about a media talking about his strike out record, he better find someplace else to play.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, bosawks said:

I hope this isn't a one off and John Henry will actually throw all his might in renaming "Yawkey Way", it is an embarrassment, hell, I'd prefer Denny Doyle Drive...... 

I suppose Bucky Dent Boulevard is out of the question.

• Love 4
Just now, MyAimIsTrue said:

I suppose Bucky Dent Boulevard is out of the question.

As much as it pains me to say this, Bucky Dent Boulevard would be better than anything Yawkey, a truly detestable man.

• Love 1

Got great lower box seats to the game tonight for my birthday - and it's supposed to rain.  Lots o' rain.  Ah well, at least there will be dinner before the endless rain delay... 

• Love 5

No David Ortiz or Big Papi Way! That dude failed the same drug tests that Bonds and Clemens did.

I assume that there is already a Ted Williams road/ave/etc somewhere in Boston, but you really couldn't do better than a combat veteran/Hall of Famer.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

No David Ortiz or Big Papi Way! That dude failed the same drug tests that Bonds and Clemens did.

I assume that there is already a Ted Williams road/ave/etc somewhere in Boston, but you really couldn't do better than a combat veteran/Hall of Famer.

Ted Williams Tunnel - part of the Big Dig.

How about Yaz Way for Carl Yastrzemski?

Since it's to replace an honor given  to a racist, rename it Jim Rice St. Stalwart African American near hall of fame LF of the 70s through the 90s I believe.  Career Red Sox player, broadcaster with the team after retirement. I'd say that there's no player to whom it'd mean more to than Rice, who never was able to win the World Series and receive that adulation. 

EDIT: Rice is in the Hall of Fame. I forgot. Made it in 2009. 

Edited by Fukui San
  • Love 2

So I now know what it sounds like when an Amber Alert goes off in a stadium full of 30,000 phones.

In other news, Springer broke the home plate umpire's arm. (Actually, they're saying it's a contusion. But he couldn't even move his wrist when it happened.)

Nothing like getting up early, getting ready to go out, putting on ESPN, and reading a scroll about the Mets sending Curtis Granderson to the Dodgers. Good for him, since he's a class act. What will the Mets get? A player to be named later. Or cash. Of course. Unless Chase Utley is sent over for the express purpose of torture, I don't think the fans will win in any way.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

the Mets sending Curtis Granderson to the Dodgers.

<Shallow> He'll look so great in the Dodger colors. </Shallow>  

Plus, I will be genuinely thrilled for him if they win, which, duh, they are favored to do. 

• Love 3

So I was looking at the schedule for Monday and there seems to be only 3 games going on, I wonder if MLB preplanned that so none of the players would be outside during the eclipse.

Never mind there are 9 games, I don't know why the At Bat app and mlb.com are different.

Edited by jennifer6973
wanted to edit for misinformation
1 hour ago, jennifer6973 said:

So I was looking at the schedule for Monday and there seems to be only 3 games going on, I wonder if MLB preplanned that so none of the players would be outside during the eclipse

That seemed like a reasonable thought!

2 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

So I was looking at the schedule for Monday and there seems to be only 3 games going on, I wonder if MLB preplanned that so none of the players would be outside during the eclipse.

Monday (and Thursday) is often a travel day for teams between series, so it's probably just a coincidence. 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

The umpires are wearing white armbands today, in protest about MLB not dealing with escalating verbal abuse against umpires.

Wait, seriously? You mean abuse from players or fans or what?

On 8/17/2017 at 3:48 PM, Moose135 said:

It's New York City and it's the Yankees.  If he's going to feel bad about a media talking about his strike out record, he better find someplace else to play.

Well, I don't think he is feeling bad about it. He likes to make up for pivotal strike outs by contributing with defense. The trend in MLB now is to not be concerned with strike outs if the offense that you do have is effective over all.  And he has indeed been contributing.

I'm guessing this Granderson guy is pretty damn good. Glad to see he's a nice guy, but still hate how the Dodgers are still getting better. And this record is without Kershaw the past few months- unfreakingbelievable. 

On 8/19/2017 at 0:23 PM, jennifer6973 said:

I don't know why the At Bat app and mlb.com are different.

Because MLB.tv is still a piece of shit as a product even after all of these years.  

As a Mariner fan I'm still just barely hanging on.  And as a Mariner fan, I'm warning the Dodgers that even if they eclipse the 116-game mark and tie the 1906 Cubs -- pun not intended -- it means nothing once the playoffs commence.  Forewarned is forearmed.  The 2001 Mariners won and won and won in the regular season and still when it mattered went no-freaking-where.  

Edited by navelgazer
correct stats.

I've noticed a lot of players' jerseys have just their last names like they normally do. I'm wondering if there was a deadline to submit the nickname they wanted and if they missed it, just ended up with their last name.

I was doing a rather long drive today, and had the ol' ipod shuffling through my splendid* collection of 70s tunes, and Toto's "99" came up. And naturally, I wondered why somebody hasn't used that for Aaron Judge's walk up music. Or something to get the home crowd singing along: "Ohhhh, 99, (beat, beat) I lo-ove you!"  If all the clubbies are too young to know the tune, maybe Ed Alstrom on the stadium organ could work that up. I mean, come on. It's right there for you!

*Okay, so you may think that 'splendid' may not be the mot juste for anything 70s related. You will be wrong on this. Come at me. :)

• Love 2

I'm so old that I not only remember both "99" songs, but I remember that 99 was the agent (played by Barbara Feldon) who married Maxwell Smart (Don Adams) on the ORIGINAL "Get Smart" the TV series.

How about "Here Come Da Judge" by Sammy Davis, Jr., as done on "Laugh In" for the hulking behemoth known as Aaron Judge?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, xaxat said:

Don't forget Nena!

Oooh! Very very super scary! :)

I actually thought that the Toto song was about Barbara Feldon. Googling tells me it's not so, and I'm still processing my feelings. (Met BF once. Oh, so stylish and lovely a lady.)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, basiltherat said:

How about "Here Come Da Judge" by Sammy Davis, Jr., as done on "Laugh In" for the hulking behemoth known as Aaron Judge?

I'm still looking for the the one that goes If your lawyer's sleeping/Better give him a nudge/Everybody look alive/'Cause here comes the judge!

• Love 1