Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Jackson Holliday getting called up to the bigs.

It seems like yesterday he was tagging along after his dad. Where does the time go? 

I guess the Orioles are now officially my AL team for the season. 

• Like 1

Looks like the conspiracy theorists will now shake their heads and say the Dodgers and/or Rob Manfred convinced the DOJ to scapegoat Ippei and leave Ohtani out of it.  I mean, the Japanese prime minister has been visiting the US over the past couple of days.  Coincidence?  Only a fool would believe that, he needed to meet with Biden to finalize the details...

Is Shohei so rich that he didn't notice that 16 million was missing? I get that he probably has an assistant who buys everything using an approved credit card, but how do you lose that kind of money and not notice? 

• Like 4

In happier news, the Mets took two out of three in Cobb County. Sure, the season can fall apart at any moment (especially if the team doesn't look for starting pitchers), but a 16-4 win puts a smile on my face.

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, Carey said:

Maybe he did notice, but at the same time, didn't care

That would play into the "He's so wealthy that it doesn't matter" theories. He must get a fuckton of endorsements in Japan. 

It's raining yen! Hallelujah! 

Okay, I'll quit now. 😀

• Wink 2
  • LOL 7

Shohei probably has a lot of accounts and it seems like his financial advisors had no access to the account that he was taking money out of. Because the advisors didn’t have access, it would make sense how Shohei had no clue what was going on. I can’t imagine anyone gambling over 160 million worth of bets- I hope he gets the help he needs because this is clearly an addiction. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, twoods said:

Shohei probably has a lot of accounts and it seems like his financial advisors had no access to the account that he was taking money out of. Because the advisors didn’t have access, it would make sense how Shohei had no clue what was going on. I can’t imagine anyone gambling over 160 million worth of bets- I hope he gets the help he needs because this is clearly an addiction. 

This.  What I can't get over is his finance firm not having access to the account his salary goes into.  That's just not good practice.  IMO, the first thing he needs to do is get a new finance firm.

• Like 5

This extended piece from Slate does a very good job laying out the whole Ohtani debacle. 

It Was Not Just Shohei Ohtani’s Translator Who Failed Him The baseball superstar was a victim in more ways than one.

A small clip from the article. The entire piece is worth the read.

The feds say that Mizuhara took not just a million bucks from Ohtani, but $16 million. Not that there’s an especially ethical way to steal $16 million, but the Justice Department accuses Mizuhara of plotting it in a sinister fashion. According to the indictment, Mizuhara impersonated Ohtani and authorized transfers from the player’s account over the phone, as well as diverted notifications and security alerts to his own phone and email address. Mizuhara was in a unique position to gain that access: He was not only Ohtani’s close friend but also his interpreter, the intermediary between the Japanese-speaking Ohtani and his English-speaking bank and financial advisers.

Ohtani believed that his financial team was effectively monitoring his assets. But that became difficult given the translator’s perch as the one guy in the story speaking two languages. According to the federal complaint, Mizuhara shielded details about the account in question from Ohtani’s agent, Nez Balelo, telling Balelo that Ohtani wanted the account to be private and unmonitored by his team. Nobody broke down the language firewall between Ohtani and his money people.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 1

Does Angel Hernandez have some compromising info on senior MLB executives? There must be some reason this guy still has a job! (Click for the full graphic.)

• Like 4

Meanwhile, the Mets just reached .500 after an 0-5 start. I'd like the wind of hope keeps blowing in Citi Field. Optimism looks good on them and the fans.

I should look into going soon, especially since I'm not currently working. I didn't think of going to Dwight Gooden's number retirement on Sunday, and I probably won't go for Darryl Strawberry's day. I think of the Mets back then, I think of all the squandered potential. The Eighties had nine teams win the World Series. The Mets could have run the table back then, but they only won the one title. Am I being too hard on them?

Doc's ceremony was nice . . . . especially when the crowd booed when he brought up his time with the Yankees, and he had to emphasize that he'd always be a Met.

• Like 1

Dark day in St. Louis. Legendary manager Whitey Herzog has died at 92.

So sad that it was so cold that he wasn't able to come onto the field one last time on Opening Day. 

• Sad 7

I haven't watxhed many games until the last couple days. 

I dunno if it's just me but I still find these uniforms awful. I can see the outline of their shirts tucked in and whatever they're wearing underneath plain as day in some shots. Also seeing a lot more sweat, to the point where some of it just seems gross. It's not even summer yet. Wait til these are soaked straight through.

Billion dollar industry and they can't figure out the balls or the unis. 

• Like 7

Well the Yankees may end on a high note here today. 

I give Eric Swanson a pass, his kid was hit by a car in Florida in spring training. The little boy is recovering but it was pretty serious. So Swanson has been through a lot.

• Sad 5
35 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I remember back in the olden days (last Saturday) when baseball was fun.  I miss those days.

Feeling a bit better now? 😉

• Thanks 1
  • LOL 2

This is not good..though the pilots are probably in more trouble than the Rockies (both are suspended as of now) because they definitely should know better.

• Like 4
(edited)
31 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

This is not good..though the pilots are probably in more trouble than the Rockies (both are suspended as of now) because they definitely should know better.

Here's a crazy thought - if you're going to commit a crime, don't let someone record it because they'll probably post it to social media.

But yeah, the pilots are the ones who will really be in trouble for this one.  It'd be like if a fan was invited to sit in the dugout during the game - can't really blame them if the folks who should know better extend the invitation.

Edited by baldryanr
  • Like 3

John Sterling’s first signature home run call was “Bern baby Bern” and that is just 😍.

I was going to be at a movie yesterday so set the DVR to record everything at the Stadium, and every time I set a recording for a live sporting event the team I am rooting for loses.  Also, the Yankees just cannot win on their special days.

That’s baseball, Suzyn.

• Hugs 1
(edited)

Holeeeeee fuck this umpire in the Yankees/A’s game needs to be released from the umpires union immediately.  He makes Angel Hernandez look completely fucking sane.

Also the Bleacher Creatures continuing roll call while all that was going down was hysterical and surreal.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

Holeeeeee fuck this umpire in the Yankees/A’s game needs to be released from the umpires union immediately.  He makes Angel Hernandez look completely fucking sane.

Heh. It’s like asking AI to spit out a Seinfeld plot. “Why did you open your mouth?!?” “How was I supposed to know I sounded like the manager?!?”

George would’ve been the one with the mouth in that episode.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

For all you Yankee fans (and subscribers to The Athletic since I can't figure out how to share this - sorry):

Bernie Williams will play with the NY Philharmonic this week

I am thrilled for Bernie, who is far and away my all-time favorite Yankee. What an honor for a great musician! I only wish I could read the full article. 😪 Perhaps the YES Network will give this some coverage that will show up on their YouTube channel. 🤞

I hadn't heard about this, so thanks for sharing!

• Like 2
(edited)
10 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I am thrilled for Bernie, who is far and away my all-time favorite Yankee. What an honor for a great musician! I only wish I could read the full article. 😪 Perhaps the YES Network will give this some coverage that will show up on their YouTube channel. 🤞

I hadn't heard about this, so thanks for sharing!

Found it - not behind a paywall.  Also, if you google Bernie Williams NY Phil, there are a few interviews.  I didn't listen (because, why would I? 😉) but there's one with CBS radio in NY.

ETA:  I found a website with the entire Athletic article on it.  There's also a bunch of news aggregated from other sites, but the About This Site was in a foreign language and Google doesn't have any info on it.  So I deleted the link.  If you feel safe, you can easily find it.  

The CBS radio interview is still there.

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 1

Gee, I don't know what all the fuss is about regarding injuries to pitchers.  The Brewers have some guy who is making multiple starts during the next week.  His name is Undecided.  

The Brewers have had some odd injuries to their pitchers - Megill concussing himself by fainting after a bout with food poisoning, DL Hall injuring his knee trying to field a bunt, and Jakob Junis, already on the IL with a bum shoulder, took a line drive to the neck during BP.  I'm assuming someone choking on their bubble gum in the dugout is next. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Wink 2

Jose Ramirez hit the 6th GS of his career.

But that’s okay media, keep ignoring the AL leading, league run differential leading Guardians.

Your NL and AL players of the week

Boom and a ridiculous week at the plate so I'm happy to see him recognized. 

MLB is going to fix the uniforms by the start of 2025

The Ray's unveiled their city connects which include a skateboarding ray...

they also apparently glow in the dark

• Like 3

IMG-20240427-WA0000.thumb.jpg.c8646ebeab9b4a457bf8a9cbb03c9299.jpg

27 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

The Ray's unveiled their city connects which include a skateboarding ray...

I like the cap with the image of the Skyway in the ray.  I also like the colors. 

• Like 3