Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

It's going to be chaos with the shift banned, pitch clock pressure on pitchers, and almost a free base if they can provoke 2 pick off attempts. 

I was reading about the Savannah Bananas, which actually sound fun, but not at the MLB level. But that's the kind of chaos/clown show Manfred wants. That's the feeling I get.

I also wish though if the players had specific proposals or modifications that got turned down they would say what they were.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 9/9/2022 at 7:35 PM, smittykins said:

Derek Jeter has three daughters now? When did that happen?

I’m thinking the nine-month old maybe was from a surrogate?  Because I am nearly 100% positive that Hannah said in the ESPN series that she had to have a hysterectomy after their second daughter was born.

Am I a bad fan for finding out stuff after the fact? I just read about Atlanta putting a five-spot in the ninth against Seattle . . . but the Mariners went yard twice to walk off . . . and that puts the Mets 1 1/2 games up in the NL East.

2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

An all time great is chasing 700 homers and the Yanks have a real life Paul Bunyan closing in on 60+ homers..... and why do I get the feeling the vast majority of the public has no idea?

Maybe because both seem inevitable? It’s probably the lack of market, or how football and basketball can be relevant even when the leagues aren’t engaged. We got Judge going to 60 and the Mets trying to fight against despair . . . but all anyone will talk about tomorrow is how the (football) Giants got a dramatic win in Nashville.

• Love 1

I think it has more to do with the fact that people are "back to football" and less the fact that people don't care.  I know I paid attention; I'll likely be more tuned into Baseball as we head into autumn & October

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

This morning the SportsCenter All Night guy said that the Dodgers won their 9th NL West title in 10 years, and their 20th overall.

That seems low.  In like 60 years they only won 11?

That does seem low.  What might have helped that stated total was the fact there used to be over a half-dozen NL West teams before the mid 90s, including Cincinatti, Atlanta, and Houston

• Useful 3
13 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Judge with 2 more dingers tonight as the Yankees beat the Red Sox, he now has 57, I think he has a great shot of getting to 62, which would be the record in my book. 

Yep. I have heard people saying that he's chasing the "American League Record" and "Roger Maris's Team Record".  

But it seems like most people feel like he's chasing more than those two things.

I'm going to miss him when he's playing for the Giants or some other team the next 10 years. (Well, getting paid for the next 10 years. I'm not so sure he'll be able to keep his body functioning for ten years given his history of not being able to do so in his twenties.)

• Love 1
On 9/14/2022 at 3:56 PM, cleo said:

Do Yankees fans really think Judge will sign elsewhere?

I've read/heard conflicting opinions from various sports talking heads.

If an owner has really deep pockets, it’s a possibility. That reminds me . . . what position does he play? And could the Mets use a new guy there, even if everything goes right for them this fall?

I don’t think we’ll get a situation like Aaron Boone getting hurt, “forcing” the Yankees to sign A-Rod.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

If an owner has really deep pockets, it’s a possibility. That reminds me . . . what position does he play? And could the.Mets use a new guy there, even if everything goes right for them this fall?

I don’t think we’ll get a situation like Aaron Boone getting hurt, “forcing” the Yankees to sign A-Rod.

Right now he plays CF, he started out in RF.

Was just mentioned on MLB Tonight

• Love 1
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I do.

I have no opinion where I think he’ll sign, even if I do think Steinbrenner should just give him a key to the damn vault already, but if he *does* sign elsewhere I will bitch about it until the end of time.  It will be the second thing I complain about on my deathbed, after “McAdoo you JERK how DARE you bench Eli and ruin the streak”.

• Love 1

So I finally succumbed and am watching an Apple TV game bc reasons.

So wow these announcers don't really know anything about baseball eh? So it's a really basic conversation with a ballgame in the background. 

No way I would pay for this. Also if they're doing a game set in Toronto and they talk about temperature they could at least reference Celsius as well as Farhenheit given half their audience is Canadian.

Also if they're going to show Odor punching Bautista without showing the batflip- that's pretty much a crime.

All of this reinforces I'm glad I'm a Microsoft/Samsung girl. 

Wtf they are completely ignoring hits and the game.

Edited by cleo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Yordan Alvarez with 2 dingers tonight against the A’s, he’s such an excellent hitter and is kind of underrated IMO, it doesn’t seem like he gets as much attention as some of the other Astros but he’s their best hitter and slugger. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Harry24 said:

I've seen this opinion a lot.  I’m curious what your reasons are, jtmacc99?

The Yankees offered him 7 years $213.5 ($30.5) and he turned it down. That gives the baseline for what the team was thinking. He’s 30 years old this season. They are fully aware of his injury history. It just feels like the Yankees are going to offer him something they think is fair and other teams are going to offer a lot more than that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, cleo said:

So I finally succumbed and am watching an Apple TV game bc reasons.

So wow these announcers don't really know anything about baseball eh? So it's a really basic conversation with a ballgame in the background. 

No way I would pay for this. Also if they're doing a game set in Toronto and they talk about temperature they could at least reference Celsius as well as Farhenheit given half their audience is Canadian.

Also if they're going to show Odor punching Bautista without showing the batflip- that's pretty much a crime.

All of this reinforces I'm glad I'm a Microsoft/Samsung girl. 

Wtf they are completely ignoring hits and the game.

Thank you for watching and reporting so I didn't have to.  (Also, since the game didn't exactly go my way, I'm doubly glad I didn't bother)

• Love 3

Lol you might have enjoyed it more than me, bc it was the Jays they were ignoring in favour of a 2 inning interview with Gunnar.

I would've skipped it but I wasn't at home bc of the reno so I was just killing time.

FYI Adley- the catcher- looks like a great player.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

The Yankees offered him 7 years $213.5 ($30.5) and he turned it down. That gives the baseline for what the team was thinking. He’s 30 years old this season. They are fully aware of his injury history. It just feels like the Yankees are going to offer him something they think is fair and other teams are going to offer a lot more than that. 

I completely agree with what you've said here. The offer the Yankees made to Judge earlier this year was just below Mike Trout money, which I thought was about right for the numbers and durability Aaron Judge had shown during his career to that point. Judge decided to bet on himself and he's proven himself to be worth even more than Trout at this point in time. Some team will pay him that money; I just don't believe it'll be the Yankees. Hal Steinbrenner is not his father. I believe he has a salary number/contract years in mind and he will not exceed either. It pains me to say it, but I do believe this will be AJ's final season in Pinstripes. As a Yankees' fan, I'm just hoping--but not particularly confident--that there's a WS championship at the end of it.

The Jays are four and a half games behind the Yankees as of this writing. If you had told me in July that on September 18 this would happen, I would have thought you were crazy. It's still a longshot for Toronto to actually win the division but I can't believe how far the Yankees have fallen. They're 26-35 since being 61-23 on July 8.

I initially thought the Yankees' July struggles were due to simply a midseason slump. Every team, especially those that start so well, goes through that. This is more than just a midseason slump. I have to wonder if the Yankees bottom out of the playoffs if Aaron Boone keeps his job. I'm not sure he would. Though I guess, instead, Aaron Judge might be used as a scapegoat, which wouldn't be smart, but it would give the Yankees an out if they don't re-sign Judge.

• Useful 1

I keep wondering what the most advantageous position is with the new playoff format. The division winner has to sit for what 5 days? 

I don't really like that idea. I would be good with first or last wild card. Doesn't seem to be any advantage to second.

• Useful 1

BRB leaving my husband for Aaron Judge (I’m sure his wife won’t mind; my hubs totally gets it).

Ha.i really needed the Yankees to win since the Phillies lost and they have been disappointing me this weekend (both the Phillies and Yankees) so now I don't like the Yankees except for Aaron Judge . Hey Aaron if you do not sign a extension why not take a ride down 95 and try on some red pinstripes (you would also look great in those powder blue alternate jerseys) 😉

So the Pirates might be part of baseball history twice in the next couple of week. Giving up Judge's 61/62 homer in their series starting tonight and/or giving up Pujols' 700 in their two series next week. 

Yay, I guess.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Yay, I guess period.  FWIW, it would make for a nice parlay.  It is what it is if Pittsburgh is the victim of history & success.  Especially the Pujols one.  I think 25% of his homers came off of Buccos games.  The Judge one would be a little comical.  The NL HR leader was once a Pirate, and what would be the AL HR leader did so, off of the Pirates

57 minutes ago, xaxat said:

So the Pirates might be part of baseball history twice in the next couple of week. Giving up Judge's 61/62 homer in their series starting tonight and/or giving up Pujols' 700 in their two series next week. 

Yay, I guess.

Got bless interleague play!

Too harsh?

How does home-field get determined in the World Series? Most wins? I’m thinking lowest seed gets the advantage. If both teams are seeded the same, go to head-to-head record. If that doesn’t apply, go with interleague record.

27 minutes ago, mojoween said:

60 is nice, but not when you’re losing 8-4 in the bottom of the ninth.  And Aaron’s face feels that way too.

Oh.  OH!  Where’s my smokes?

Watching the Mets game, a little bummed I missed #60 . . . and Gary Cohen tells us about Stanton's grand slam walkoff. My reaction? "Oh, FUCK YOU!!!"

The Yankees don't have to sweat like the Mets, and Cobb County is still a game behind. Good thing Polar Bear hit a three-run homer to get them within a run of Milwaukee. Next inning: Lindor grand slam. And Edwin Diaz gets a four-out save.

Question: is it a bad and/or sad thing that MLB is fifth on ESPN's main line after the NFL, college football, NBA and NHL? Those last two haven't even started their seasons yet!

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, twoods said:

Does the Pirates manager not care at all, which is why he left the guy in who had five base runners? You figure after a few hits he would have gone with someone else. Stupid Yankees.

It's the Pirates.  Not just the manager, it's the entire organization not caring.  It wasn't too long ago, to be fair, that Derek showed not emotion on behalf of his team when they fell victim to several awful calls (at the plate)

• Sad 1

60 is nice, but not when you’re losing 8-4 in the bottom of the ninth.  And Aaron’s face feels that way too.

Oh.  OH!  Where’s my smokes?

"It ain't over 'til it's over." -- Yogi Berra               😃

I'll feel a lot better about the Yankees going far into the post-season if Big G is back on track. Great ending!

While passing 61 is certainly the goal, I'm excited about Judge hitting 60, matching Babe Ruth's single-season HR total AND in fewer games than the Bambino! On to 61/62, but for Yankees' fans, this is also a moment well worth savoring. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Question: is it a bad and/or sad thing that MLB is fifth on ESPN's main line after the NFL, college football, NBA and NHL? Those last two haven't even started their seasons yet!

It's both of those things because a lot of people apparently aren't interested in baseball.  25 years ago the sports world was breathlessly watching McGuire and Sosa chase the HR record and each other.  Now it's a giant meh as Judge closes in on what a significant number of people would call the "true" mark. 

Cambridgeguy, great points.  For me, there have been a couple other notable seasons that built interest.  2001, 2004, and 2007 which featured Bonds & Seattle, the BoSox curse-breaking, and Bonds again, respectively.  Then 2011-2015.

Baseball, with so many rules or no rules that should be rules, coupled with game-length, helped lead people to tune into something else, mainly football.

Maybe someday Judge could top this season, and maybe even get to 74-75.  Who knows?

I did tune into baseball a lot more than in years past, I think.  Over the summer; with the NBA & NHL done for the season, it was the go-to sport.  Now that both return next month, AND now that both College Football & the NFL are back in business, MLB can be forgettable.  It's a lame duck month, I believe.  However, I think I'll definitely be more focused on it next month.

As for the ESPN bottom line, if the NHL was still part of NBC, MLB would've been 4th for sure.  Hockey may not have been there at all