Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Apparently tonight’s Yankees/Cleveland game is on Amazon Prime … in the viewing areas of those cities.  I could also watch on the MLB app, if I were to pay for MLB.TV, which I will not because I ALREADY pay for cable, which includes the YES Network, where I should be able to watch the game.

How is MLB going to grow the sport if they are tossing games onto platforms people have to pay extra for?

• Love 8

They don't really care about growing the sport. I don't believe that anymore. They got a big cheque from Amazon and so they're happy regardless of who watches.

And that's not intended to be a slam on Amazon, really it will be any streaming platform that can pay them.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Apparently tonight’s Yankees/Cleveland game is on Amazon Prime … in the viewing areas of those cities.  I could also watch on the MLB app, if I were to pay for MLB.TV, which I will not because I ALREADY pay for cable, which includes the YES Network, where I should be able to watch the game.

How is MLB going to grow the sport if they are tossing games onto platforms people have to pay extra for?

They randomly air Blue Jays games on YouTube or Facebook and it drives me crazy.  I have a PVR for a reason.  

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I’m watching on Amazon Prime(I’m a glutton for punishment), and so far, Michael Kay has called the Guardians by their former name twice.

Yep after my bellyaching I found out that I can watch it too.  Still unclear why it says NYC area only tho.

• Love 1

Miggy got #3000 in his first AB today.  Only seventh player in history to hit 500 HRs and 3000 hits.  Next will be his 600th double.  (Currently at 599). He also has 39 stolen bases, but I don’t think anyone is holding their breath waiting for #40.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

Miggy got #3000 in his first AB today.  Only seventh player in history to hit 500 HRs and 3000 hits.  Next will be his 600th double.  (Currently at 599). He also has 39 stolen bases, but I don’t think anyone is holding their breath waiting for #40.

Perhaps one day Detroit will be down and Miggy will scamper to second on defensive indifference.

That was cute how Iglesias ran over to hug him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

There was a play in the outfield and Kwan from Cleveland hit the wall hard and needed some medical attention (he’s ok).  Then somehow the other outfielders got irritated with something the fans said and one of them jumped up on the fence to the top and was yelling at the fans.  Another outfielder started chirping too and then Tito and the umps came out to chill everyone out.  Bottom of the ninth Gleyber Torres hit a game-winning single and AS SOON as you see the ball roll to the outfield wall, you can see something hit the field from the stands.  And then tons of garbage rained down as the outfielders were leaving the field, while the Yankees were pigpiling Gleyber at second, and then Judge and Stanton had to go to the bleachers and tell the fans to cut the shit.

Edited by mojoween
17 minutes ago, mojoween said:

There was a play in the outfield and Kwan from Cleveland hit the wall hard and needed some medical attention (he’s ok).  Then somehow the other outfielders got irritated with something the fans said and one of them jumped up on the fence to the top and was yelling at the fans.  Another outfielder started chirping too and then Tito and the umps came out to chill everyone out.  Bottom of the ninth Gleyber Torres hit a game-winning single and AS SOON as you see the ball roll to the outfield wall, you can see something hit the field from the stands.  And then tons of garbage rained down as the outfielders were leaving the field, while the Yankees were pigpiling Gleyber at second, and then Judge and Stanton had to go to the bleachers and tell the fans to cut the shit.

I saw the postgame interviews and the outfielders said that, while Quan was lying on the field, stunned after hitting the wall headifirst, multiple sh**head Yankee fans were applauding the injury and yelling at him, classless a**holes that they are.  Myles Straw, who was there checking on Quan, climbed the wall and gave verbal hell to the fans.  He didn't leave the field, didn't touch anyone.

Then, after the game winning hit, many, many fans (at least a dozen based on the number and directions of the projectiles), began pelting the Guardians' outfielders with beer cans, water bottles, and assorted trash. Mercado said someone threw a cup of beer as he was going for the ball and he got hit in the face with the liquid.  Even the umpire out there got hit with stuff.  Mercado went over and started yelling at them, but was restrained by team mates.

Judge and Stanton did come out to try to get the Yankees' 'fans' to settle down.  Mainly, the game ended and the players left the field and the idiots ran out of things to throw and people to throw them at.

Straw said the fans always trashtalk the outfielders, they don't mind, a lot of it is funny.  However, cheering injuries and throwing stuff is unique to Yankees fans.  Same fans who wonder why the rest of the country hates the Yankees.

Much of the action was caught on camera and a lot of individuals should be identifiable and should be banned from the stadium.  We'll see if the Yankees front office has the guts to do the right thing.

Edited by Rootbeer
lifelong fan of the Cleveland baseball club, still having trouble remembering not to call them by the old name.
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

So, it's Earth Day Weekend.  The official day was Friday, but given the nastiness of the weather until this weekend, I had to step outside and appreciate the gorgeousness.  It'll be the same on Sunday, and probably Monday before it drop again mid-week.

On a related note, no sports when it comes to relaxation.  However, the people getting paid to play have to do so regardless of the weather, including the Bucs and the Cubs.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't have learned of the Twenty-One to Bagel result between Chicago & Pittsburgh until Monday, but it may be saying something when I saw that score and had a reaction similar to hearing the sound of a train while inside or New York outdoor noise

At least it was on the road for the victims of a three touchdown shutout performance unlike 12 years ago!

2 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

I saw the postgame interviews and the outfielders said that, while Quan was lying on the field, stunned after hitting the wall headifirst, multiple sh**head Yankee fans were applauding the injury and yelling at him, classless a**holes that they are.  Myles Straw, who was there checking on Quan, climbed the wall and gave verbal hell to the fans.  He didn't leave the field, didn't touch anyone.

Then, after the game winning hit, many, many fans (at least a dozen based on the number and directions of the projectiles), began pelting the Guardians' outfielders with beer cans, water bottles, and assorted trash. Mercado said someone threw a cup of beer as he was going for the ball and he got hit in the face with the liquid.  Even the umpire out there got hit with stuff.  Mercado went over and started yelling at them, but was restrained by team mates.

Judge and Stanton did come out to try to get the Yankees' 'fans' to settle down.  Mainly, the game ended and the players left the field and the idiots ran out of things to throw and people to throw them at.

Straw said the fans always trashtalk the outfielders, they don't mind, a lot of it is funny.  However, cheering injuries and throwing stuff is unique to Yankees fans.  Same fans who wonder why the rest of the country hates the Yankees.

Much of the action was caught on camera and a lot of individuals should be identifiable and should be banned from the stadium.  We'll see if the Yankees front office has the guts to do the right thing.

Straw called the incident brutal, adding the Yankee fans are the "worst fanbase ever."

• Love 1

The Yankees are far from the worst fanbase ever.  This situation could've been worse and I'd still double down on that statement.

It's a shame, but it's not a shocker that this type of behavior played out.  A lot of people have been miserable for some time and you're starting to see that play out in New York.  It's basically the same garbage that happened in the NBA, but this was messed up.  No excuse for that.

I don't know what, if anything, the Yankees can do.  If someone was seriously hurt, then maybe it'll take those individuals to take it out on those losers that people call Yankees fans, but WTF.  People need to have more respect overall, period

OMG, my poor Bucs. 21-zip loss to the  Cubs, even worse than the 20-1 spanking the Braves gave them last year. 

Thanks Nutting.  Yinz need gone.

13 minutes ago, Carey said:

The Yankees are far from the worst fanbase ever. 

Nope, that "honor" belongs to Filthydelphia. 

• Love 1

At Bat alert - “no-no watch”

I read further - “five Rays pitchers” and NOPE not reading further because I am sorry but FIVE pitchers does not breaking news make.

Holy hell now it’s six pitchers stop the madness.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Exactly.

51 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

OMG, my poor Bucs. 21-zip loss to the  Cubs, even worse than the 20-1 spanking the Braves gave them last year. 

Thanks Nutting.  Yinz need gone.

I don't know if it's sad or no big deal that I actually had no emotion at all when I saw 21-0 on my smartphone, but not one second took place where I thought it was a typo.  It is too bad it's the second shutout in the past decade and a half where the winning team earned at least 20 runs.  As mentioned it was a beautiful day, and there was a ton to do outside of sports.

TBH, I probably would not have watched even with crap-ass weather (and likely if they weren't as bad), but I had the reaction of if the Bucs lost 7-6.  Call me a traitor and I guess you could call me a bandwagon if I "pimp" the team if they even (more than) emulated 13-15 but it is fair enough to show as much care in the team as the person that owns the team.  Plus, I'm too busy with teams like the Yankees, Rays (great for the soul), and definitely the Dodgers to worry about Pittsburgh

7 minutes ago, Carey said:

Exactly.

I don't know if it's sad or no big deal that I actually had no emotion at all when I saw 21-0 on my smartphone, but not one second took place where I thought it was a typo.  It is too bad it's the second shutout in the past decade and a half where the winning team earned at least 20 runs.  As mentioned it was a beautiful day, and there was a ton to do outside of sports.

TBH, I probably would not have watched even with crap-ass weather (and likely if they weren't as bad), but I had the reaction of if the Bucs lost 7-6.  Call me a traitor and I guess you could call me a bandwagon if I "pimp" the team if they even (more than) emulated 13-15 but it is fair enough to show as much care in the team as the person that owns the team.  Plus, I'm too busy with teams like the Yankees, Rays (great for the soul), and definitely the Dodgers to worry about Pittsburgh

I watched the Pens game.  I swear the Pens and Steelers need to go in together to buy me a defibrillator. Cheese and crackers!!

1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

I'm a Yinzer, but I think that reputation is based on previous history. Since the new arena/stadium were built, fan behavior got a lot better. 

Until the last couple of years when it go really shitty everywhere.

18 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I'm a Yinzer, but I think that reputation is based on previous history. Since the new arena/stadium were built, fan behavior got a lot better. 

Until the last couple of years when it go really shitty everywhere.

Thing is, it's not just baseball.  Flyers and Eagles fans are horrible. 

• Love 1

Those Yankees fans were absolute trash and I hope they have a lifetime ban and fines ahead of them, and it ruined the other fans’ experience who were enjoying a game winning hit. 

• Love 7
On 4/21/2022 at 9:53 PM, Lantern7 said:

In Milwaukee, the best food is in the parking lot at all the tailgate parties.  Eat your fill there, spend your ballpark $$ on beer.  

They should be able to ID a lot of those Yankee "fans" and in addition to being banned from all MLB parks, each one should be sentenced to a few thousand hours of community service picking up trash since they have such a great relationship with it.  

Tonight ESPN deigns to acknowledge that the Milwaukee Brewers exist.  Should have done a Brewers home game and they could have had Uecker liven up their broadcast for an inning or two.  But Mr. Baseball doesn't do the road games anymore, unless it's the season opener or a playoff game.  Of course, I wouldn't put it past Ueck to get ESPN to pony up some dough so he would be at this game.  

• Love 2

I am continually surprised that they sell beer in cans at public places.  It just seems like a recipe for disaster- a group of riled up inebriated people with dangerous projectiles.  Wasn’t beer (drinks in general) served in cups back in the 80’s & 90’s?  Is it a recycling thing?

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 2

Kyle Schwarber makes me giggle.

Yesterday was apparently Carlos Beltran’s birthday so they brought him a cake with lit candles on it.  Michael told him he couldn’t blow them out because of COVID so he had to wave at them until they went out.  Now, I get being cautious, but Carlos is sitting in the booth, very close to Michael and others, unmasked, talking out loud for 3+ hours.  If Carlos has COVID, you’re getting it with or without those candles.

• Love 1

It’s one thing sitting next to someone, it’s another blowing out candles and putting your spit on a cake that others will eat. I always thought that blowing out candles was disgusting and glad that people are realizing that. 

• Love 5

Half-watching Mets/Cards. Mets are down to their last strike. I turn off the TV. I get to my room, turn on that TV, and I see the Cardinals are at-bat, for what would be the final time in that game.

Has anyone in this group NOT thought that watching or not watching their favorite team could affect a game? Because this is some scary shit.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Has anyone in this group NOT thought that watching or not watching their favorite team could affect a game? Because this is some scary shit.

I have specific cups I can use and shirts I can wear during the three sports seasons I care about, but I really have no idea what you are referring to.

Regarding baseball, it’s absolutely crazy to me that a team can decide in the off-season that they don’t like the size of their outfield, so they just…change it.  That would be like the New York Giants deciding “just to be on the safe side, we are lopping ten yards off the size of the field to make it safer for our mobile QB.”

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

Looks like Hunting Season is still on when it comes to pitching to the Mets.

Twenty Hours Later . . .

Went to YouTube, found out the benches cleared in today’s game. You can’t call it a fight. Pushing, shouting, exchanging analog recipes, etc. Seriously, though, why are the Mets targets all of a sudden?

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 1
On 4/26/2022 at 2:37 PM, mojoween said:

I have specific cups I can use and shirts I can wear during the three sports seasons I care about, but I really have no idea what you are referring to.

When I watch the Pens,  I have on my Crosby sweater and the hubs is wearing his Lemieux sweater. We also get out the sacred Mario puck. But I don't know what he's talking about either 😉

ETA: Obviously it's not working lately.  Sigh. Another year of  "one and done" in the playoffs. 

Edited by Colleenna
Additional information
  • LOL 1

There are certain rules they have to follow, but I'm no expert. Apparently they can choose to have outside counsel represent him in the appeal process rather than one of the MLBPA lawyers. That is probably their best move but it depends on Bauer as well. 

Eugene Freedman is a labour lawyer on twitter and he breaks down a lot of the legal baseball stuff if anyone is interested, like in this case the union's legal obligations to a member.

• Useful 2