Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I'm spared from having to watch the Os tonight because I'm at a concert.   Thank goodness... 

Edited by ebk57
giving isn't the same as having. I blame my phone

If the weather in the Bronx is anything like it currently is in Syracuse right now, I would no sooner sit through a ballgame tonight than I would dance naked down Fifth Avenue on Black Friday.

• Love 1

Just in case anybody here collects bobbleheads,  (whistling nonchalantly), the Yankees are doing a David Wells 'head on 4/23. A bobbling Boomer!

I'm pleased to report that YES are now using the strike zone graphic. Finally. 

Geez. Sir Didi is raking like a maniac. Giancarlo who?

• Love 2
(edited)

Didi is the man on this team. He puts no pressure on himself and just plays his game. He is a joy. The catcher's reaction is tremendous.

Edited by prican58
  • Love 4

I'm looking forward to adding a new stadium to my list tonight even if it's a crappy one (Angels Stadium).  What are the odds that I will stay for the entire game after flying cross country all day and having an internal clock permanently set to Eastern time?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Lantern7 said:

They got an older stadium, right? I forget. Don't know the selling points there. I know people get gushier over Dodgers Stadium.

I would say Mike Trout is the selling point of the Angels stadium ?

• Love 5

Angel Stadium is old, feels a bit worn, and has no charm even though I think that's what the rock waterfall behind center field is supposed to be.  The big capital A with a halo isn't illuminated so once the sun goes down you can't see it anymore.

That being said the people who work there are wonderful and the fans are knowledgeable.  I only stayed through the fourth inning but got to see homeruns by Trout, Ohtani, and Justin Upton as well.

• Love 5

Reddick was on fire tonight with the Astros. Stole a home run, two-run homer and then a grand slam to cap it all off. Roof was closed and it got LOUD with that last one.

Stanton, Sanchez andd Judge all homered today. Severino on fire. I know there will be hard times this year but this needs to be enjoyed when they happen.

Orioles next up at the Stadium. They lost today so I'm sure they will be ready. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Phils pre-game acknowledgment:

Doc!! <sniff, sniff> Damn.  Someone's cutting those onions in here again.

Dougie P!  Wearing the Halladay jersey!  A strike!  E-A-G-L-E-S...Eagles!  

Can a sista get a win today?

Edited by SuburbanHangSuite
Elaborating
  • Love 2

Well, the sports media has gone and done it and I hope they are happy.

Eight days in and I am BEYOND sick of hearing about Ohtani.

Is it hypocritical because they could have a SportsCenter about Aaron Judge every half hour and I would be ok with it? Perhaps.  But I love the Yankees and don’t give a rip about the Angels so asking Tim Kurkjian if Ohtani is going to change baseball makes my teeth ache.

• Love 1

Yeah mojo. I pretty much care about no other team but the Yankees. I only care about the others when we play them. Ohtani...hope he does well but I don't care as he refused to play in big market big media towns like NY and Boston. 

Well, seems Orioles offense woke up as they are beating Yanks 5-2 in the 9th. 

Funny, I am sick of Ohtani and Judge, but love any stories about Francisco Lindor.  His smile lights the place and he still plays with the enthusiasm of a little leaguer.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Is it hypocritical because they could have a SportsCenter about Aaron Judge every half hour and I would be ok with it? Perhaps.  But I love the Yankees and don’t give a rip about the Angels so asking Tim Kurkjian if Ohtani is going to change baseball makes my teeth ache.

Now you know how we Met fans feel when SC goes on and on about Judge and the Yankees all day and all night.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

Well, the sports media has gone and done it and I hope they are happy.

Eight days in and I am BEYOND sick of hearing about Ohtani.

Try being in the Anaheim area this week! 

By the way I experienced my first earthquake today, a nice 5.3 on the Richter scale. I'm so happy to be flying home tomorrow.

5 hours ago, prican58 said:

Ohtani...hope he does well but I don't care as he refused to play in big market big media towns like NY and Boston. 

Ohtani shot those down because it takes too long to fly to Japan.

12 hours ago, prican58 said:

Ohtani...hope he does well but I don't care as he refused to play in big market big media towns like NY and Boston. 

Anaheim is in the LA TV market, second only to New York.

• Love 5

We have our first foul beer ball of the season. The guy next to her had a glove and he didn't catch it.
040418_beer_splash_sf_med_res.gif

Although, I think this one from last season was better:
070916_arisf_foulball_med_ul1td3fs.gif

• Love 2

I am mesmerized by that woman's hair.

ETA The Pirates' senior usher announced his retirement today. He's ninety nine and has been working games for over eighty years. 

• Love 11
(edited)
On 4/6/2018 at 3:06 AM, kariyaki said:

Ohtani shot those down because it takes too long to fly to Japan.

Then he should not have had all interested parties fill out the questionnaires. Just say west coast teams only and why. (Moves like that make me kind of glad several good players are still in limbo and without teams.)   That would have been fine and teams needn't have wasted their time and money. And no offense to the LA market being big as it is a fact. But also I don't see the  Anaheim team as  being a mover and a shaker with or without Trout.  I am not disparaging any fan base or team because as I've said before I don't really care about other teams but if one believes in the Networks wanting certain teams to be playing in a WS they would damn sure prefer the Dodgers over the Angels. 

Anyway that's my opinion. Ohtani is an interesting player and I wish him the best. Do I wish the Yanks had gotten him? Yeah, maybe but they didn't. I don't see the Yanks continuing the season with the starting pitchers they have now and unless he has a monster/injury free remainder of the season I see 2018 as CCs last year in the pinstripes. 

mojoween, I just read about Tyler Austin's battle with testicular cancer when he was 17and I wonder now if that chaw in his mouth is tobacco or Big League Chew gum. Hope it is not the former.

So here is another player who really should have been honest from the get go years ago.  https://nypost.com/2018/04/07/brandon-drury-comes-clean-about-scary-issue-hes-been-hiding/

Glad he is getting help but really WTH was he thinking all these years.

Edited by prican58
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Hasn’t chaw been banned?  I know it was at the minor-league level several years ago.

Don't know but I think you may be right....Just checked and the minors cannot but in MLB you can.

45 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Watched a delayed day game turn into a 14 inning night game. Andrew McCutchen, welcome to the Giants, thank you very much! Suck it, dodgers.

Cutch went 6 for 7 including the 3-run walkoff.

• Love 1

Saw the Cutch HR highlight. Good luck to him, a great person. 

Did anyone see the stupid bonehead non play by SD to allow Astros to win? Can anybody there play the game? to paraphrase Casey Stengel. How does the local SD sports radio caller feel about this? Livid, I would imagine.

12 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Here’s the ring I got. It’s gigantic. 
8E72D013-D142-4476-ABD8-E336F6B59B82.thumb.jpeg.48ac72e5baf6824bd68290283a997d14.jpeg

Also, Maker’s Mark made an Astros themed bottle. 
30F7E7C0-765A-4F82-8ADA-76BDAC44F769.thumb.jpeg.c64646c34925d759de9f2218dd3e5853.jpeg

Is the ring an exact replica? I hope not. Still, it's pretty neat to have.

1 hour ago, prican58 said:

Did anyone see the stupid bonehead non play by SD to allow Astros to win? Can anybody there play the game? to paraphrase Casey Stengel. How does the local SD sports radio caller feel about this? Livid, I would imagine.

Is the ring an exact replica? I hope not. Still, it's pretty neat to have.

I was there, I saw it. And it was Hosmer that missed it, he’s their big paycheck player. Bonehead, yes, but whatever, I’ll take the win and was happy to get out of that freezing stadium. Interestingly, roofed stadiums in the southern states are built to withstand summers, not freak April cold fronts. No heater.

I’m not sure what you mean by exact? It’s the same design, but not made of real jewels or precious metal.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, prican58 said:

Did anyone see the stupid bonehead non play by SD to allow Astros to win? Can anybody there play the game? to paraphrase Casey Stengel.

I still prefer Hawk Harrelson's reaction to a similar play some years ago by the White Sox:

• Love 2

Guaranteed Rate Field?!  When the Hell did that happen?  What happened to Cellular Field. (I know, $$$) Baseball had been played at the corner of Michigan & Trumbull in Detroit for 104 years and in all that time the stadium only had four names - Bennett Field, Navin Field, Briggs Stadium, and Tiger Stadium.  Ah, the good old days.  

Hey kid, get off my lawn!!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I still prefer Hawk Harrelson's reaction to a similar play some years ago by the White Sox:

C'mon, Hawk, tell us how you really feel.  Don't hold back...