Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I don't know what kind of gifts the teams have been giving Ortiz during his whirlwind farewell tour, but I did like the Os gift last week - the phone that he destroyed in the dugout 3 years ago after some unfortunate incident on the field.  He didn't seem really enthused about receiving it...  It made me smile though.

I know the Blue Jays gave him a pair of Canada Goose jackets (retail price $1000 each), one of them was custom made in Red Sox red. It's a sweet coat.

21078897-mmmain.jpg

I guess the joke they can make there is it'll keep him warm when he's back in Toronto for the ALDS/ALCS. It's cold in Blue October, Papi.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I wonder if he'll be getting a bench in Central Park. Seriously, who doesn't love Big Papi?

He got the bench 

And look, I don't want to make Yankee fans LIKE Big Papi. No one will ever fucking convince me that Cap't Intangibles was the best shortstop ever. Because he wasn't and his defense for the most part sucked the last half of his career.  So mojo et al - go on hating.

BUT how can you not like him?

• Love 4

The rumors that Jose Fernandez might get an award named aft him because his love of the game are offensive.

Does that mean that no other player exuded love, joy & enthusiasm for the game?  Have they never seen Omar Vizquel doing somersaults?  Bob Gibson's stare?  Orel Hersheisher's smile?  Lou Gherig's tears?  Buck Owen's joie de vivre?  All those men + hundreds more showed just as much love for the game and accomplishmed more.

I don't disbelieve his love of the game, but naming an award after somone who didn't accomplish alot, makes me angry for the others.  

Cy Young won more games than anyone.  Thurman Munson & Roberto Clemente were great humanitarians. They deserve to have an award named aft them.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1

I think having a memorial award for Jose Fernandez is a nice idea. I don't take it as a slight to others, moreso a way to recognize an individual who would have likely won many awards if he hadn't died so young. Even though many, many, many love the game, he did stand out. This is a very unique situation that MLB is in, and even if the idea of the award is part of the grieving process and doesn't come to fruition, it's still a fantastic idea FOR an award. Because for as many do love the game, there's only a few who stand out beyond team affiliation in doing so. Jose was certainly one of those. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

I was just reading an article about Pete Rose making another attempt to become eligible for the Hall of Fame.  Is the HOF owned/run by MLB or are they separate entities?  

Yes, seperate entities, but the HOF can honor requests made by MLB.

Edited by jennifer6973
clarify

I attended the old Yankee Stadium tribute/final game of Yaz and it was nothing but happy, respectful and amazing as I recall. Certain players are iconic. Big. Huge. Awesome. Yaz deserved it though I am not sure if that was done at other stadiums. I always liked Yaz as a player and I do recall his Triple Crown year of 1967 and oddly enough I liked the BoSox as a kid and rooted for them in the Series. I was only 9 but I knew about baseball. 

I think Mo was an iconic player. More so than Trevor Hoffman, I think. He deserved a tour because everyone knew he was great. Jeter deserved one even though he never was my fave Yank. But there is something about Papi. Rubs me wrong. I never would have been against Carlton Fisk, Tony Conigliaro (if he had never been hit in the eye.) or even Clemmons if he hadn't had the steroids issue. But Papi? Can't explain it. It bothers me. But NYY are a classy  act and they will not be seen as the only franchise to not fete him. I will not watch. He doesn't need me to watch. Just glad he is getting on out of the game. God bless him.

I don't have to.

• Love 1

No, not at all. If the writers feel that PED use is a disqualifier (or, in some cases mere rumors of use) Ortiz shouldn't get a pass just because he's a nice guy.

Personally, I'd vote them all in. But a double standard would piss me off.

• Love 1

I was working late. AL EAST CHAMPS .... after Kimbrall gives up a walk-off Grand Slam.

I fear for my liver and brain for the upcoming post-season.

BTW, I told a friend of mine almost thirty years ago, post 1986 terrible-ness, that I was looking forward to a Red Sox/ Cubs World Series. The Karma train be coming around this year I hope!

PS- THANKS ORIOLES! Hope you don't try to avenge any sweep like the Yankees are this week.

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Yesterday was the five year anniversary of the greatest day 162 in baseball history.  Here's a little throwback Thursday for you with Tom Verducci's article about it.

And for some reason MLB Network isn't running their terrific tick tock documentary of the day. I don't know why they have buried that thing. I can understand live baseball taking precedence, but would the world miss an hour of Kevin Millar?

ETA For those who didn't get to see it (which is totally understandable since MLB doesn't show it any more) here is a very edited version of the documentary I was talking about. (The short version isn't nearly as good as the long one.)

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I actually tweeted the 30 for 30 page that I would love a film or a short about that day if there already isn't one.

Awesome idea.

I remember fully expecting that the following week SI would have its cover story about game 162 but of course they didn't, and it barely got a mention in the issue.  The week after didn't have anything either.  I wrote a scathing letter to them on how in the world they could miss out on something so amazing (had those games been played with a football they would have dedicated several covers to it) and then a number of months later they finally ran a fantastic story about it.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, King of Birds said:

I was working late. AL EAST CHAMPS .... after Kimbrall gives up a walk-off Grand Slam.

I fear for my liver and brain for the upcoming post-season.

BTW, I told a friend of mine almost thirty years ago, post 1986 terrible-ness, that I was looking forward to a Red Sox/ Cubs World Series. The Karma train be coming around this year I hope!

PS- THANKS ORIOLES! Hope you don't try to avenge any sweep like the Yankees are this week.

Kimbrell didn't have any control and left in too long. But considering Texeira is not having a great last year for the Yanks I'm glad he redeemed himself in last night's game at home in front of the fans.

The Sox backed in to the division title but at least they got there. Now I'm hoping for a Red Sox-Cubs WS.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Yesterday was the five year anniversary of the greatest day 162 in baseball history. 

Greatest? I recall wanting to bury my head in a dirt-pile for the winter.

7 hours ago, mojoween said:

Now be fair - Kimbrel gave up a hit and three walks.  Kelly gave up the slam.

Let's face it, last night's outcome is ALL on Kimbrel.

• Love 1

A-Rod was so awesome during the playoffs.  FOX got something right for once!  Also, I will never turn down more Alex on my TV.

A Cubs/Red Sox WS would be my absolute worst nightmare in the history of the world.

Sorry Cubbies but I can't get behind anything Theo has his dirty little mitts on.

5 hours ago, attica said:

You mean something like the Roberto Clemente Award? Or maybe, the Thurman Munson award? ;)

(TBF, the TMA isn't an MLB thing.)

I know they have awards named after them.  That's why I mentioned it.

3 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Same here.  Let's hope those teams don't meet the same fates they did in 2003 when it looked like they would face each other in October.

Sorry.  It's gonna be Indians-Cubs.  (Unles we peaked too soon and/or have too many pitcher injuries.

Sox have already one this century. ;-)

For years I have always hoped there would be a Cubs/Sox WS on account of the 2 iconic stadiums and also because both franchises hadn't won a championship in ages. Since the Sox have already had their fair share of WS rings I no longer wish it so strongly. I would much prefer Cubs/Indians in it. 

Not too sure how much attention I will pay to these upcoming games, except for the Mets. I will be interested as long as the Cubs are playing. Of course when the Red Sox are eliminated (yes I can hope) I may be able to fully enjoy baseball for baseball's sake. 

• Love 2

Damn.  Well the Yanks gave it a good ride, and still having a shot with three games left in the season is nothing to sneeze at.  Especially with the way they were playing a few months ago.

Next year is going to be great.

14 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Yesterday was the five year anniversary of the greatest day 162 in baseball history.  Here's a little throwback Thursday for you with Tom Verducci's article about it.

I was at the game in Baltimore.  If there hadn't been lots of lightning during the rain delay, we would have gone home.  But we didn't because we were sure we'd be electrocuted.  And it's the most fun I've ever had in a stadium in my life.  And I've been to the World Series.

And good grief, how can that have been five years ago?? 

Oh, and how bout dem Os!!!!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Cubs/Pirates game ends in a tie after an hour rain delay, and they aren't scheduled to play each other again this season, so since the game has no effect on standings, the game is a tie.

There's no tying in baseball!

Sorry, I had to.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, tom87 said:

Umpires totally missed a call that lead to to a Cardinal win in the Cards/Reds game.

Not gonna complain but if I was a SF fan I would.

The Giants are where they are currently because of their own doing. BUT. This is ridiculous. It should not be possible to just wave away a blown call that ends a game with playoff implications because it took "too long" to ask for it to be reviewed. A manager should not have to go find the umpires because they left the field. I understand that the manager can't take forever to realize he should review it but in a game-ending situation, the umpires should either realize they messed up and review it themselves or allow the manager of the losing team to have a moment to realize that he needs to challenge (apparently, he's supposed to do it immediately, which makes no sense. Why not just have a questionable game-ending play challenged by default?). There's no way anything is going to be done about this, but the Giants won last night, so at least they didn't lose ground to the Cardinals because of it. But even though the Giants made their own bed and are now lying in with regards to their current possibility of making the playoffs, it sure would have been nice to be two games up with three to play instead of one. And since the Cardinals failed to score runners in scoring position the night before, it's not a given the Cards would have won that game if the call had been correct.

12 hours ago, ketchuplover said:

On another site someone said the Yankees tribute to Mr.Ortiz was classless and insincere.  Hopefully the others made up for it.

I thought the Yankees did a good job honoring him. They etched his likeness into the center field grass. They gave him gifts. Mariano Rivera was there. IMO it was the Orioles who weren't too sincere of all the clubs.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

King You don't mind if I borrow this do you?

Not at all!  Once I saw the lineup last night I figured the Sox would lose. The funny part is that my sister is PISSED about the sweep. I can't recall if I mentioned this here, but she and a family friend who is a Yankee fan send a broom back and forth whenever one team achieves a sweep. She emailed me "Dammit he's gonna send back the broom I just sent two weeks ago."  I keep telling both of them that the USPS is thrilled beyond imagination for the 20 years of mailing a friggin' broom back and forth.

BTW I saw nothing via my Sox friends about anything bad about the Papi- Yankee send off. I think the painting looks nice, it'll look great in Papi's "Fenway green" painted garage.

ETA - there are so many times a "ground rule double" is called when they should be awarding the batter third- but they always make it a DOUBLE and that was no exception last night in the Cards game.  But everyone has to remember that umps are very lazy and try to get off the field as fast as Jerry Remy escapes the broadcast booth.

Edited by King of Birds

Once I saw the lineup last night I figured the Sox would lose.

LOL.  When we saw the Indians' lineup for the first game after they clinched, our only question was what Carlos Santana did to annoy Tito because he was the only regular in the game.

Matt Holiday in  potentially he last bat as a Cardinal pinch hit HR with a broken thumb. 

His first pinch HR, the 17th pinch hit HR (ML record) for the cardinals, the 6th Cardinal with 20 or more HRs in a a season (ties NL Record)

go Dodgers.

MLB Network is carrying the Dodger feed of the their game at San Fran, with Vin Scully doing play by play.  It's great hearing him one last time, and I was amazed at one point - there was a break in the action while a couple of idiots ran onto the field, and to fill time, Scully talked about the home plate umpire...where he was from, where he went to college, when he moved up to the majors, and more.  It's either a meticulous level of preparation for games, or the fact that Vin has been around so long, he literally knows everything about everything to do with baseball.

• Love 4