Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

If Theo defeated the faux Curse of the Bambino* and then can overcome the Curse of the Billy Goat?

Forget baseball. Sic him on solving the Middle East. Or, how to rescue Mark Watney from Mars.

* I hate even mentioning that so-called Curse. It just gives publicity to a Boston Globe writer who is an asshole.

• Love 2
How I know I'm a Mets fan: I wait until the third out of the game before informing my mother of the victory. Had I not waited and the Dodgers came back, I would never have heard the end of it.

You wouldn't want to be like the Sox player some say jinxed them out of a championship in '86. In the bottom of the 10th in the infamous Game Six, with the Sox one out away, Oil Can Boyd felt secure enough to go into the clubhouse and open a bottle of the celebratory champagne. Then Gary Carter hit a single...

Normally I'd be rooting for the Cubs to end their streak of futility, but not this year. Let's go Mets!!

Mojo, that's a very good question and one I will ask my brother-in-law.  He still has an irrational hatred of the Mets because of 1986.

That is not irrational!  There is nothing as great as a lifelong sports grudge!  I hate the Mets because of 1969.  And I will hate them forever!

Go Cubbies!!

• Love 1

You wouldn't want to be like the Sox player some say jinxed them out of a championship in '86. In the bottom of the 10th in the infamous Game Six, with the Sox one out away, Oil Can Boyd felt secure enough to go into the clubhouse and open a bottle of the celebratory champagne. Then Gary Carter hit a single...

He should have known better than to tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing...

Let's go Mets!

• Love 1

As a Mets fan, how badly would I suck to miss two hours of Game 1? I got Doctor Who, followed by Amy Schumer's stand-up special on HBO.

Can you DVR the shows?  Or at least watch the Amy Schumer show OnDemand?  

This is playoff baseball!  The rest of the stuff will be there later!!!

• Love 4

As a Mets fan, how badly would I suck to miss two hours of Game 1? I got Doctor Who, followed by Amy Schumer's stand-up special on HBO.

Big time.  That's how badly you would suck.

Can you DVR the shows?  Or at least watch the Amy Schumer show OnDemand? 

This is playoff baseball!  The rest of the stuff will be there later!!!

Seriously.  

• Love 1

My husband does not pay much attention to baseball (but has been immersed in it lately because he has no choice) so he doesn't really know anything about the announcers.

Harold was just talking and he turned to me and said "who the fuck is this idiot talking?" which made me laugh.

Harold is definitely one of those either/or guys.

• Love 3

I thought Mets fans were ride or die (shrugs).

If it was my team in the playoffs, I would watch it live.

I went to do the dishes while watching the Toronto/KC game, it was 3-0 before and Bautista just struck out again, I came back and it was 3-3.

Things move quickly.

I think  it's the fans of teams that play in their own cities who have the most issues with network announcers. Since the net guys are speaking to the casual fan, hometown fans easily pick up on stuff that sounds anti their own teams. I know that in watching some of the Jays/Royals game nothing said by these guys bothers me in the least as technically I am a casual fan with regards to these teams.

I will say that in past years with the Yankees I really hated listening to the net guys because they were boring. I remember back in 1986 I thought the net guys were favoring the Mets and it bothered me a lot. That was at the height of my Mets hate, and actually rooted for Boston. 

I reckon I qualify as a casual fan these days as I don't even lose sleep over Yankees losing out. That I can actually root for the Mets over the Cubs, the very team I rooted for in 1969 over those upstart Metropolitans is very telling. If Mets do lose I will be actively rooting for the Cubs. 

I have no problem with the Network announcers mostly.

It's the hometown announcers I have a problem with, especially if they get facts wrong. 

I especially get annoyed if I'm watching my favorite team play one of the local teams down here and the local announcers get all pissy about my team.  I know they can't be all rah rah rah, but don't be so anti about it either.  (i'm looking at you Jeff Conine)

To quote the great philosopher Ron Burgundy, "That escalated quickly." The Jays were cruising along, Price had given up one whole hit and then the Royals went Royals. Hit, hit, fielder's choice, hit, extra base on the throw, hit, hit and suddenly there's a crooked number on the board.

How cold is it at Citi Field anyhow?

I see all these Cubs dressed with those neck/ head things.  Why do we have to play games at night in October? It's almost why I was thinking of cheering for the Dodgers. Baseball is not meant to be played in the cold.

And, jennifer6973, I know you're just being kind, but Harold has NO fans.

Edited by King of Birds

I liked Harold when he called the Little League World Series because he really seemed to love being around those kids and learning their stories. Then ESPN fired him, alleging sexual harassment, but then had to pay him a hefty settlement (for wrongful termination?). Did we ever get a full story on that scandal? I seem to recall he said a female employee announced her pregnancy, he hugged her in congratulations, and it was misinterpreted but he took some responsibility for making her uncomfortable. Or am I remembering it wrong?

mojoween . . . it's okay not to root for the Mets. If the situations were reversed, I wouldn't be pulling for the Yankees. That's what Chipper Jones figured about New York sports fans . . . as if allegiances are that interchangeable.

Wound up watching Doctor Who and DVRing Amy. Glad the Mets won (Travis d'Arnaud hit the apple!), but I'm nervous about Game 2 tomorrow night.

Here's a Yankee fan who is definitely pulling for the Mets.  Now, part of that is my undying Curtis Granderson love.  I just adore him and am so glad he's excelling on the big stage.  With him, Wright and Syndegaard (sp?), they have the easy-on-the-eyes factor going.  Plus, I like to think how much Jon Stewart must be enjoying this run (that is, if he allows himself to enjoy anything Mets-related.  He seems to be a pretty classic masochistic Mets fan in that regard.)

Re the Mets uniforms, I prefer the old 1969 pinstripe uni. It's classic, like the Yankees pinstripe, The Detroit "D" and the old Pirates one back in the Early Clemente days. I don't like the alternate unis many teams have. It's ok for the Spring training session but the big club should be traditional. That's just me. That being said, these blue tops seem to be working because both game one's were played with them

Wright there with you, Harry24. When he went down early in the season, I felt so bad for him. So much bad luck for him. Glad he is contributing. As I said in an earlier post my late aunt was a huge Mets fan and since she couldn't see this coming I want them to win it all.     

Edited by prican58

I hate the alternate jerseys. The solid color tops and white pants look like church-league softball unis.

I kind of like not caring who wins these games. After four years of the Tigers breaking my heart, it is rather relaxing to just sit back and hope for a good game. My ideal ending would a Cubs victory, but I am not that invested.

• Love 1

TBH

I hate all the pinstripe uniforms.  I don't mind the tops, but the pants just don't do anything nice to the guys.

I'm watching this game on twitter and have decided that my jinxing is going the wrong way.

So with that said

GO METS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by jennifer6973
  • Love 1

I liked Harold when he called the Little League World Series because he really seemed to love being around those kids and learning their stories. Then ESPN fired him, alleging sexual harassment, but then had to pay him a hefty settlement (for wrongful termination?). Did we ever get a full story on that scandal? I seem to recall he said a female employee announced her pregnancy, he hugged her in congratulations, and it was misinterpreted but he took some responsibility for making her uncomfortable. Or am I remembering it wrong?

That's about the way I remember it too and it seemed like Harold was fired for very questionable reasons.  And for those who were asking yes, he has fans.  I'm one of them.

Anyone hear of some online petition to remove Joe Buck from the broadcasting booth?  I would sign such a petition a million times if I could.

• Love 3

Joe Buck is horrible. I remember when he first started calling Cardinals games on the radio, and he was pretty good. I even thought it was nice because he was "taking over" from his dad. But he really went downhill once he got in television. I think he started believing his own press. Ugh.

• Love 2

How cold is it at Citi Field anyhow?

I see all these Cubs dressed with those neck/ head things.  Why do we have to play games at night in October? It's almost why I was thinking of cheering for the Dodgers. Baseball is not meant to be played in the cold.

Last night, it was a "felt like 39" here in NYC and Citi Field also traps the wind so it was probably pretty cold! 

I'm definitely rooting for the Mets to go all the way. I live in NYC and it's been very fun seeing people all decked out in their Mets gear. I also love Curtis Granderson from when he was a Yankee so it's been fun watching him do so well! Plus that rotation! They're exciting. 

• Love 2

I also love Curtis Granderson from when he was a Yankee so it's been fun watching him do so well!  

CG has been a personal favorite for many years going back to his days in Detroit.  He's a great player and in addition to that he's just so nice, plus some definite eye candy.  I also love the fact he has a college degree and that both of his parents and his sister are educators (my boyfriend is a high school teacher so I'm biased).

• Love 2
(edited)

I remember an article in Yankees Magazine where Grandy admitted that although he was a good student, he was a bit of a talker in class, so his parents took care of that by grounding him from playing baseball.

ETA:

Daniel Norris to undergo surgery for thyroid cancer

Although there is obviously no "good" cancer to have, thyroid cancer has one of the highest survival rates if caught early. Let's hope he kicks it in the teeth.

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 3

Well. Looks like the Blue Jays are determined to put up a fight. Good for them.

What's the status of R.A. Dickey? Will he be starting, or has he been encased in glass and propped up in the bullpen alongside a tiny hammer?

I'd take Ernie and Ron but leave Cal. 

"Cal Ripken is the Cal Ripken of dreadful broadcasters"

This from a friend of mine.  He had it in quotes, so I'm guessing he saw it somewhere, but I don't know where.

And I'm an O's fan, but alas, I agree...

Happy with this game tonight so far.  Go Jays!

Well. Looks like the Blue Jays are determined to put up a fight. Good for them.

What's the status of R.A. Dickey? Will he be starting, or has he been encased in glass and propped up in the bullpen alongside a tiny hammer?

He's starting tomorrow.

The question is how long will he last? Cause John Gibbons apparently thinks the Knuckleball is so unreliable that it can result in 6 runs from a single pitch, and is willing to pull Dickey when he is one run away from being in line for his first post season win but will let Price and Stroman piss away as many runs as they want.

I hope he atleast gets 5 innings like he totally should've in Texas.

Edited by Maximum Taco

"Cal Ripken is the Cal Ripken of dreadful broadcasters"

This from a friend of mine.  He had it in quotes, so I'm guessing he saw it somewhere, but I don't know where.

And I'm an O's fan, but alas, I agree...

Brilliant quote no matter the source!  Cal's grammar is atrocious and maybe it shouldn't matter but to me it does.

Oh, I totally judge people on their grammar. Especially people who are hired to be Professional Announcer people. I get CR's hired for his fame and expertise with the game, but sheesh. Him need some gooder book learnin'.

• Love 4

Tulo being tossed was ridiculous, how does the umpire at home plate toss a player having a conversation all the way at 2nd base with 2 other players? 

I believe the post-game commentators when they said that the ump wanted to throw him out and was staring at him when he walked onto the field looking for a reason to throw him out. MLB shouldn't be allowing that nonsense from the umps. 

• Love 2

I hate replay if it's gonna be for stuff like that pop-up slide that Rios took.  He was safe, he slid to the bag and didn't take out the SS (take notes Utley).  I mean, think about it. Utley, who totally never touched the bag, was awarded 2nd.  Rios, who slid in and then safely popped up on the bag, no injuries etc, gets called out.

This needs to change.  The thing I hate is that Harold Reynolds agreed me with, if I heard him correctly.

• Love 1