Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

A friend of mine who lives in Baltimore checked in on Facebook and it looked like she was at Camden Yards. When I asked her how she got into the game she told me she was at her office but the O's were encouraging fans to 'check in' at Camden Yards to show support. It was a little weird.

My 17 year old son (who cares not a whit about sports, I don't know where I went wrong) wondered about the lost revenue at Camden Yards. And now I'm thinking about it, those poor concession people who probably don't have contracts. I hope management still pays them.

Caleb Joseph pretending to sign autographs and tipping his cap to the imaginary crowd is the most adorable thing I'll see this week.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

I saw little of the game on mute. I read about how games have been cancelled due to unrest, but not having a crowd must be new. Also: I think any homers should be retrieved and sold at auction, with the money going to relief.

Seriously, the only time I've heard of crowds not being allowed are with European soccer matches and ballparks where they're trying to set a record for lowest attendance.

ETA: Gary Throne sounds a little punchy. Anybody else regretting that the Brewers weren't in town, so Bob Uecker could broadcast in the remote seats? "HE MISSED THE TAG!!!!!"

I had to listen on the radio today because even though it was the free game of the day, I'm in the blackout zone.  I have to say, it sounded the same on the radio.  The O's radio broadcast never plays up the crowd noise.  The Nats broadcast is much louder.

I really enjoy Gary Thorne. 

It really is too bad no one was allowed in today.  The weather was absolutely perfect for baseball.

My 17 year old son (who cares not a whit about sports, I don't know where I went wrong) wondered about the lost revenue at Camden Yards. And now I'm thinking about it, those poor concession people who probably don't have contracts. I hope management still pays them.

Caleb Joseph pretending to sign autographs and tipping his cap to the imaginary crowd is the most adorable thing I'll see this week.

John Angelos (the COO for the Orioles) was on MSNBC tonight and he said they would make it up to the concession staff for today and the missed home stand for Tampa Bay this weekend.  He didn't think it was fair for them to suffer for a once in a lifetime event.  I hope he follows through.

• Love 1
John Angelos (the COO for the Orioles) was on MSNBC tonight and he said they would make it up to the concession staff for today and the missed home stand for Tampa Bay this weekend.  He didn't think it was fair for them to suffer for a once in a lifetime event.  I hope he follows through.

I was just about to say, given his eloquent tweets on the real reasons for what's going on in Baltimore and cities like it, I would have expected him to do right by the concession staff.  I'm glad my opinion on him was confirmed. He seems like a guy that really "gets it".

• Love 2

Aww King we are diametrically opposed on this one. He may have lied in a spectacularly stupid fashion, but he's not the only one who did it. And he didn't even get away with it!

Even if he weren't a Yankee I wouldn't hate him.

• Love 1

The Rays' David DeJesus made a pretty awesome catch tonight in the extreme left field corner of Fenway.

Speaking of All Stars DeJesus will probably never be one but I like the guy and always have.  He's the type of player who shows up every day and just plays hard no matter which position or where he's batting in the lineup.  He's scrappy, and by all accounts he's the type of guy everyone wants in their clubhouse and as a teammate.  Bonus points for being cute.

I also liked his wife the year she was on The Amazing Race! 

It does seem really early to vote for ASG but I think they start so they can put out the first "ranking" early and get more and more people to vote. It should be interesting this year.

Pedro Martinez is making the media rounds because he has a book coming out ("Pedro," if anyone is interested) and while professionally I will never like the guy because Red Sox, personally he seems like a really nice guy. Almost Mariano-ish in his demeanor.

He did an interview a while back where he said his one regret is the fight with Don Zimmer. And you know what? I almost sorta kinda feel badly for the guy. If it were ANY OTHER manager, coach or player than Don Freaking Zimmer, it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal and something that is going to haunt him forever. But oy. That one mistake was a bad one and the video is damning.

There was an excerpt of his book in last week's SI and Pedro said his one regret during his entire career was the Don Zimmer incident, and I believe him.  He seems genuinely upset by his actions.

Just checking in to see if there's any Cardinals talk, and of course there isn't. :-(  There's very little National League talk here, and I seem to be the only Cardinal fan.  It's exciting as a fan right now, because they're at 20/6, which breaks their own record from 1899.  They have the best record in both leagues at the moment, and they've won the last eight in a row, and a lot of games are being shown.  My cable package blocks Fox Sports Midwest, which broadcasts the majority of the games, so I love when ESPN or MLB broadcasts their games.

Of course, we may start struggling since Wainwright is out for the season.  I was moved to tears to see the OT on the left sleeves of their uniforms, in memory of Oscar Taveras's death last October.

• Love 1

Just checking in to see if there's any Cardinals talk, and of course there isn't. :-(  There's very little National League talk here, and I seem to be the only Cardinal fan.  It's exciting as a fan right now, because they're at 20/6, which breaks their own record from 1899.  They have the best record in both leagues at the moment, and they've won the last eight in a row, and a lot of games are being shown.  My cable package blocks Fox Sports Midwest, which broadcasts the majority of the games, so I love when ESPN or MLB broadcasts their games.

Of course, we may start struggling since Wainwright is out for the season.  I was moved to tears to see the OT on the left sleeves of their uniforms, in memory of Oscar Taveras's death last October.

I'm here but yeah not much talk of Cards even though they are doing well.    So far Wainwright's position is still up for grabs I hope the next candidate can make it to at least 6 innings for a change.

Matt Carpenter should be an all star.

Also funny I get Fox Sport Midwest and get pissed when they block the games on ESPN and MLB and only show them on FOX   I like hearing different announcers for a change.  

• Love 1

Houston finally lost a game.  They're now "only" six games out in front.

Houston just got swept by the Rangers, but they are still 6 games out in front!  I'm a Houston native and I'm entirely bewildered by how well they are doing so far this year. 

• Love 1

I'm a NL fan too, but a Giants fan, sorry! 

I'm super psyched that Michael Morse will be getting his World Series ring in an on-field ceremony tonight before the Giants play the Marlins. He was only a Giant for a season but he's so loved by the fan base! Love that his big moments in the postseason will be so celebrated and he will get another moment to bask in the greatness of last October. Really cool. 

And SO different from how things ended with Pablo. Funny how that can work.

• Love 2

Aww that was awesome. But anyone in his family trying to watch the videos they took on their phones is going to get a severe case of motion sickness from all the jumping up and down they were doing, heh.

That is very cute, and in a related topic HOW BAD IS OAKLAND UGH.  I guess when you build a completely new team by shedding a literal handful of All Stars in the off-season, the results might be unpredictable, but ugh.

That is very cute, and in a related topic HOW BAD IS OAKLAND UGH.  I guess when you build a completely new team by shedding a literal handful of All Stars in the off-season, the results might be unpredictable, but ugh.

Yeah, I agree.  Ugh.  :(

(edited)

Baseball Hall of Famer Yogi Berra, considered by many to be the greatest catcher in history, turns 90 today. Berra spent 19 seasons with the New York Yankees and finished his career with three MVP awards, 15 All-Star game appearances and 12 World Series home runs. He holds the record for most World Series games played with 75.

However, most people today remember him for his funny quotes. A few of his best:

“It ain’t over till it’s over.”

“It’s deja vu all over again.”
“I usually take a two hour nap from one to four.”

“Never answer an anonymous letter.”

“We made too many wrong mistakes.”

“You can observe a lot by watching.”

“The future ain’t what it used to be.”

"If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else."

“It gets late early out here.”

“If the people don’t want to come out to the ballpark, nobody’s going to stop them.”

"Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."

“Pair up in threes.”

“Why buy good luggage, you only use it when you travel.”

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-yogi-berra-turns-90-quotes-20150512-story.html

Edited by tom87
  • Love 6

I am a HUGE Cards fan, I just hardly ever come in here! They are playing amazing, almost too good to be true!

I am also a redhead, although...not a zombie ;)

• Love 2

I've been ragging on Oakland's horrible bullpen, but it doesn't help that they've made at least one error in at least 13 consecutive games.  They have the worst record in baseball and the most errors.  So much for the genius of Billy Beane.

(edited)

The A's look awful. Last season I always watched every game to the end because it seemed like they would find a way to win. This season they always find a way to lose. Waaay too many 1 run loses just due to lack of effort and concentration. The offseason trades made no sense when they happened and make even less sense now.

But still... Josh Reddick, so pretty.

Edited by AndreaK1041

But still... Josh Reddick, so pretty.

Does he still have "Careless Whisper" as his at-bat music??

My boyfriend grew up in Miami so he's sort of a Marlins fan.  Someone has to be.  Anyway, he's pissed at the dismissal of Mike Redmond as manager and believes nothing good will ever come of this team as long as Loria is the owner.  What a boneheaded move for a team that's only a few games back.

• Love 1

It sometimes surprises me that Giancarlo Stanton signed on to such a long contract with the Marlins organization, especially when you consider that plenty of other teams would have likely given him a similar contract. But then you consider that this is all he knows. It's better out there, Mike.