Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E16: I Can't Keep Away From You

(edited)

Isn't there a law that children cannot donate organs?

It depends, I think.

I've read you have to be 18 but in Tennessee you are allowed to select organ donation on your license.

Who knows what they'll do? It's Nashville.

Edited by airwair
(edited)

Another shallow observation from me--Natasha (or should I say whatever the name of the actress who plays her is) needs to go back to her plastic surgeon's office and demand her money back because that nose job is horrific and just plain difficult to look at. No one in the world has a nose like that. Maybe that's what Natasha wants the $500K for, to get the procedure reversed?

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • Love 5

Sadie certainly has a type, doesn't she? Granted, Luke isn't as bad as her ex (as far as we know) but he is controlling and has a quick temper- but can certainly be charming as hell when he wants to. Run, Sadie, run!

I think the reason she said "I can't put my voice on your album" was because she is contracted to Hwy 65 and cannot record on another label without permission - and I'm sure she does not want to ask Rayna for that permission!

Glad to see Rayna and Deacon finally acting like grown adults (after all the yelling and guitar smashing that is). Hope Deacon gets Sadie's ex's liver.

Speaking of x's, I just love the sound of Avery, Gunnar and Scarlet. They play well off each other too, and work so much better as friends only ---looking at YOU Gunnar!

It does seem like poor Juliette has been pregnant for a year! I thought for sure she was going to go into labor while she was on the phone with Avery. Someone get them that baby, STAT!

How about a pairing of Gunnar and Layla? Or would they be too mopey together.

Ha! I hadn't thought of that one. Layla gets a character overhaul every few episodes anyway, so why not.

Teddy's story lines remain the silliest, crappiest part of Nashville. Seriously, a mayor can't find a better (and faster) way to get a couple hundred thousand bucks than to blackmail and embezzle? Plans like that take time and a whole lot more thinking than he's putting into this. What bank wouldn't lend him the money legitimately?? Take out a home equity loan, for pete's sake. Or if things are really to the level of considering embezzlement, ask your rich ex-wife. Humiliating, yes, but much more likely to succeed.

Also, so he went to a hooker. Would anyone really care these days? He's not even married. One tearful "I was lonely" speech, and he'd be up to his eyeballs in casseroles and votes.

• Love 5
(edited)

And I hate Mopey Gunnnar.

When they were trying to think of a name for their trio, first thing that popped into my head was The Mopey Schmoes. Avery's been a little more chipper lately (though I anticipate that changing soon with whatever birth/bus crash angst is coming), but man they can be the glummest of the glum and that's saying something on a show that has Deacon.

Gunnar in particular is just so beyond annoying with his endless long face. He's been glum pretty much from day one on this show. In love with Scarlett when she was with Avery, then upset about his wild brother's ways and his death after he got Scarlett, then mopey about their breaking up, then mopey because he was then with Zoey but Scarlett was unhappy, then mopey because Zoey wasn't thrilled to be an insta-mom to his ten-year-old son, then mopey when he found out his son was not his son but his nephew, double-mopeyness because his brother BETRAYED him ten years ago!, mopey because he lost his not-son, now mopey because Scarlett is seeing someone else - and darn it he wants her now. In between all of these he's been mopey about his career and various other things.

Scarlett at least has had some reason lately to be depressed given Deacon's cancer. But I just need Gunnar to snap out of it for more then an episode or two.

Regarding Deacon/Rayna last night, I was totally with her. To think that somehow her and Maddie's pain will be less if he keeps the in the dark or at a distance is just stupid. I know that Deacon likes to be alone with his man-pain, but people who love you aren't made happier when you die by not having been with you when you did. There pain will be just as bad, if not worse, if they were not able to spend whatever time was left with you. 

Edited by Pop Tart
  • Love 3

ETA: Do we think it's loyalty to Rayna that was making Sadie hesitant with Luke?

That & the fact that she's signed to Rayna's label & Luke's label is a competitor. 

• Love 1
(edited)

It seems to me that labels could easily "lend" artists, though. If Sadie were smart and had a decent manager, she'd have negotiated a clause in her contract with Rayna allowing for guest spots, I'd assume, especially since Rayna chased her; Sadie had negotiating power. And if Rayna's going to walk the walk with this "I want to nurture artists" business, she'd be open to some kind of share. Both labels could be given credit and the ability to distribute the song, and given Luke's stature, that would be huge for Highway 65. I mean, Luke and Rayna recorded together while on competing labels. And even in the old Hollywood studio days when studios basically owned actors, they'd lend people to each other. I just don't buy that's it's primarily business; if that were it, I think Sadie would have said she needed to talk to her label, not be skittish and vague. Personal issues cause the latter.

I'm more wondering if it's just personal loyalty to Rayna, or if Sadie's also just super-skittish about relationships. If her last guy beat her up and she's so scared that she now carries a gun in her purse, I can see not wanting to take on a new guy, especially someone as famous and public as Luke Wheeler...and especially when that guy was going to marry your boss/friend a couple of weeks ago. It would be cool to see them developing a friendship and then romance a la Juliette/Avery. That might even give Luke some depth. I really can't see Rayna being upset about it personally at all, and professionally, they'd just have to work out the details.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 3

Do we think it's loyalty to Rayna that was making Sadie hesitant with Luke?

I think Sadie's behavior is completely normal -- Luke was just left at the altar by Sadie's boss/idol/confidant/close friend. In real life, she wouldn't touch Luke with a ten-foot pole.

Of course, as soap opera watchers, we know that there are only so many partners to go around, so it feels silly for Sadie to hold out when the writers are obviously going to put her with Luke.

• Love 2

Also, so he went to a hooker. Would anyone really care these days? He's not even married. One tearful "I was lonely" speech, and he'd be up to his eyeballs in casseroles and votes.

He can always argue what the meaning of "is" is and then go about his usual business.  I've seen it work before.

Gunnar, it really is okay to be without a girlfriend for a week or two.  Try it out for a change and stop being so damn needy.  Gah!

• Love 3

So. Was that episode cobbled together by four different writers using Google Sheets? Because it's impossible to believe that the same person who came up with the Deacon/Rayna scenes also labored over the Teddy the Scumbag scenes. I mean I know there's a writer's room but there's usually one lead writer on an episode who smooths it out.

Loved the Deacon/Rayna push and pull, and that they didn't rush it in the episode but drew it out to the end. Of course, Juliet/Avery was lovely and added some needed levity. Hmm. Is that really it?

Scarlett regressed to jittery chipmunk. Engaging assholes on Twitter and expecting to change their mind? Are you serious? Keep that girl away from reddit. And she's been doing so well with the Deacon scenes.

Luke/Sadie/Pete: do not care. But it's nice of them to give Luke some decent songs now. And I can see that Laura Benanti is very talented but I feel like she's playing Sadie as very....toothy.

I used to have more empathy for Will, but his neverending self-loathing and internalized homophobia is a major buzzkill. They should have moved forward on this story over a season ago. I think they're skerred.

I cannot believe they are doubling down on this Teddy bullshit. Ain't nobody got time for that!

• Love 6

I had teary eyes during much of this episode.  Or maybe it was pollen... Anyway, I thought the Rayna/Deacon scenes were good and they effectively sold their various emotions/concerns.  I loved the Avery/Juliette scenes.

However, the Natasha/Teddy scene didn't make a lot of sense to me.  She's threatening him and telling him she won't take a fall for him?  He's not the reason she's at the center of an investigation.  I also don't understand why she's so shocked that she might be arrested.  And, on a completely shallow note-I'm surprised she's that much in demand as she's middle ages (disclaimer: she's way younger than me and way prettier, but she's also in a line of work in which looks and age matter).

• Love 2

Another shallow observation from me--Natasha (or should I say whatever the name of the actress who plays her is) needs to go back to her plastic surgeon's office and demand her money back because that nose job is horrific and just plain difficult to look at. No one in the world has a nose like that. Maybe that's what Natasha wants the $500K for, to get the procedure reversed?

Thanks for the laugh. I give Natasha so much cred for continuing to charge her trick months after she's been done with him. Five hundred thou to "go away for a bit?" Where the hell you going, Paris? Crappy nose job or no, the girl's got enough skill to know an easy mark when she smells one.

• Love 1

Is it bad to hope if domestic violence liver doesn't work out,maybe he can get a hit gone wrong faux mob boss/mayor liver, or emo songwriter who offs himself liver?

(edited)

Well, I had about 3 or 4 posts that I wanted to reply to and my iPad malfunctioned and I lost them. Rather than go back and hunt for them, I will just wing it:

As someone up thread asked...who did Eric Close piss off? "No role" has to be better than the role of Teddy. Lots of time was spent getting him elected Mayor and, since then, he hasn't had any story line as the mayor. Instead we got Pig Blood Peggy and a middle aged prostitute. He is threatening and trying to blackmail anyone that moves. Would anyone really care about the prostitute anyway?. It's not like he would be the first politician to walk that road. Of course, he could always resign. Isn't that a better choice than embezzlement and blackmail?

Don't care about Jeff at all. He was odd and nearly unrecognizable in the hoodie. Glad that Layla dumped him but she can leave too.

Sad sack Gunnar is tiresome. Why does this show have to pair everyone off? Let Gunnar be focused on career for awhile.

Will's story line as closeted gay cowboy needs some forward motion. It's been stuck in the same place for three seasons.

I don't particularly care about Sadie or Luke. They will end up together which will have no consequences for anything but Rayna's label.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 4

Why was Albert willing to help Teddy?  And he's probably someone with a few hundred thou Teddy could borrow.  After all, Albert worked with Lamar for years, and was promoted over Tandy.

Ah man. Why couldn't Teddy have been in that parking garage when that bullet went through the evil ex? I'm so over this clown stumbling and bullying his way through another mess he's gotten himself into. I'm pretty sure this dude is over compensating for a very small penis. He wants everyone to think his tool is the biggest in town, but he lost his balls to Rayna a long time ago, had a wife who thought pig blood really brought out the blue in her eyes, then climbed into bed with the likes of Jeff and resorted to screwing a prostitute. Repeatedly. For his grand finale he is going to try his hand at blackmailing some government schmo and embezzling from the City. All to cover up his lack of a lady pleaser. Maybe he'll just do us all a favor and walk in front of a bus. If Sadie's ex isn't a match for Deacon, there's still a chance for Teddy to do the right thing and take one for the team.

This was the post that convinced me I needed to finish reading this at home.  We need Teddy to show up in every random place where he could potentially be shot, hit by a bus, fall off a cliff, really any place he can be put out of his and our misery.  

Really Gunnar, you just open the door without knocking and waiting for a response?  (And, hint, if there's ever a next time and you follow this advice, if there isn't a response, you go away.)  Her boyfriend came to visit, remember?  Idiot.

If ever someone deserved to see his ex-girlfriend in an incredibly compromising position, it's mopey Gunnar.  Gunnar now has two settings - happy and mopey.  Enough already.  Choose you, Gunnar, choose you! 

Um, timeline shenanigans. Scarlett said Chicago was almost a year ago to the day? So....Juliette has officially been pregnant for a year then. More than, actually.

At this rate, Juliette is going to give birth to a toddler.  No wonder Avery was reticent to leave, she's three months past due. 

• Love 6

Albert did all of Lamar's dirty work. He investigated a lot of people so Lamar could threaten them with exposure on the secrets they had and make sure they towed the line when he needed a favor. So now, Teddy is going to do those things, stepping into Lamar shoes and for me I think I'm going to like that because I want to see Teddy get caught by the feds and go to jail. What ever happened to that wonderful father figure that everyone thinks so much of. He doesn't have any money of his own, Rayna was the breadwinner of the family so now he has to embezzle from the town, blackmail the person in charge of the towns money, just to get the prositute out of town, why?

Watching Connie's scenes with Charles last night was like sitting in on a master class in acting.  They were absolutely gut wrenching and Connie was brilliant.  I've  always loved her as an actress.  Friday Night Lights added to that and last night was yet another reminder of her ability to be totally real and truthful onscreen.

• Love 4

What exactly was Albert's role at Wyatt Industries? I always thought he was Lamar's right-hand man; an executive. Teddy is acting as if he was the hired gun. Which is it? Also, Albert is creepy as hell, I need to check out this actor's resume. Can't imagine him in a rom-com or musical, though.

The writing for Teddy has become stupid to the point of ridicule. No sane adult acts like this. He should have come clean, months ago. Young, attractive widower, caught up in a tawdry affair due to an unscrupulous associate. Hell, most of that is true, he wouldn't even have to lie for a change. 

Great music this episode. I prefer the acoustic version of Luke's man-pain song, but the duet was nice, too. Didn't know that Chris Carmack had that kind of range (auto-tune notwithstanding). The Triple X's are cool, but I really miss the Scarlet/Gunnar duets.

Javery is sweet, but I've had enough of "Sweet Juliet", I want singing, kick-ass Juliet; don't think she's had a song all season.

LOVE Rayna and Deacon. All the angst, all of the resolution, all of the kissing. Great scenes. Didn't trust the writers to give us that, yet. Love the lake house, so glad that Rayna didn't destroy that beautiful dobro.

I'm glad the abuser is gone.

Does anyone know how many more episodes we have this season?

• Love 3

Clearly Deacon isn't getting Psycho Ex's liver, unless he goes into a coma and dies weeks from now. No way are they neatly wrapping up the cancer storyline six episodes before the finale, especially with Deacon and Rayna at peace for the moment. Ten seconds from now the phone is going to ring for a transplant? Please. Plus it looks like Sadie and Luke are about to drive off and leave him there to finish dying, so I doubt he's going to be a donor candidate for anyone.

I wish this show would stop assuming that pairing random boring tertiary characters somehow makes them more interesting. I find Luke/Sadie or Layla/Jeff just as tedious as couples as they are individually. All were introduced to serve a erstwhile storyline with a real character and all can go away now that these storylines have organically ended. Why does no one ever leave?

• Love 6

I remain squicked out by the age difference between Layla and Jeff (isn't she supposed to be 19 or something?), so I am glad she's sending him down the road talkin' to himself as far as them dating.  She used to be my most loathed character and now I think she is sort of awesome.  I wish they'd let her sing more.  And they don't seem to have much for Jeff to do so Teddy is becoming the resident mustache twirling villain.   The writing on this show is so weak sometimes.  

Loved the emotional scenes with Rayna and Deacon though.  They really are fantastic actors, and letting us see the lines on their faces just added to the authenticity of those scenes.  Beautifully done.  

• Love 2

I don't care what they end up naming that baby. It will be Julery in my heart.

Lol. I actually voted in that thing. I can see what they're doing there, but please, not Cadence. Just too on-the-nose for me. I was surprised there wasn't some Jolene-esque name in there (Juliette's mama's name was Jolene, right?)

• Love 1

Ok so as much as I love Connie Britton and think her acting is flawless, I seriously HATED Rayna this episode. Every time she said something like "dont you believe in our love??" I was just like "WELL YOU DONT!!" You cant just hook up with other guys, get engaged, totally blow Deacon off and then keep expecting him to come back the second you feel it again. Not to mention her complete disregard for her child's feelings. Dear lord, this woman should stick to being an amazing record label head and swear off men forever in my opinion. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I think you can when the guy you're talking to swore his undying love to you a couple of weeks ago. Deacon and Rayna have needed to see this conversation to its end since the beginning of seson two. They just never did it. One or the other of them just walked out midstream...usually Rayna, and Deacon didn't demand they see it through. But if he's for real with his declarations of "I know how to love you now," "we're meant to be a family," etc., then none of that changes on a dime just because Rayna has been too scared to face it. He's either telling the truth, or he's not. She finally faced it--likely pushed totally into it because mortality is a bitch--and then she took him at his word. He even told her on the porch that he loved her and they could be together if he lived. This wasn't Deacon being angry with Rayna for hurting him. It was him being really, really scared and Rayna refusing to hide from any of it. When she's talking to him that last time...oh his face. He wants her and them together so badly. The wanting didn't change just because he's sick, and she was just totally confident of that. She first tried to shame him into it. When that failed, she took a more direct approach.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 8

Very well said madam magpie. I just feel like Rayna gets what Rayna wants in the moment no matter who its going to hurt and with no thought of the future. But like you said maybe this time its for real?

(edited)

I don't think this is what Rayna wants, though. What she knows at the moment is that Deacon is dying. That's pretty much the #1 thing she doesn't want. I think what Rayna was doing was basically insisting, "Stop! No more of this!" Someone had to actually stop doing it, the ridiculous "I love you but can't have you" game they play. She changed the rules and stuck to them. Deacon just had a hard time coming around to that and he's crazy scared, so he threw a bunch of old plays at her trying to get her to fold like she usually does. When she just simply refused to leave, he saw it for what it was and accepted that she was right. I loved too, by the way, how she just wouldn't leave. And he didn't try to make her. It's a cool throwback to that house being a shared, sort of sacred space. It's still equally hers and they both know it.

I do think it has to be for real this time. If the show breaks them up again, it will be so dumb. What's going to split them? Someone cheats? Please. If they didn't cheat with each other while she was married, they should be pretty safe there. There are no realistic barriers at this point. No secrets. No booze. No hiding from the truth. They need to stay fully committed for the story to work. Says I!

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 4

MM -- Very well said on your two posts. She never cheated while she was married, but Teddy did ask her "Did you want to" but she never crossed that line and neither did Deacon. I don't think either one is the cheating type, if they are in a committed or married relationship. He wanted to, but he never pressured her out of respect for her as a married woman. It has to be for real this time. I don't know if I can watch again these two characters tearing themselves apart going down another path of distruction. If the series goes down that path after all of the crap they put us through because they can't come up with drama for these two characters,(read some of the FF stories those amazing writers have written) then I for one am done with this series. Isn't there any country music couple happy in Nashville?

• Love 1

Sadie does make Luke semi-tolerable, doesn't she? He seems like a better guy with her, even at the start, less ego, less possessive. Maybe because he sees her as a human being instead of a prize to win away from Deacon?

• Love 11
(edited)

Sadie does make Luke semi-tolerable, doesn't she? He seems like a better guy with her, even at the start, less ego, less possessive. Maybe because he sees her as a human being instead of a prize to win away from Deacon?

MM -- Truer words have never been said.  Luke has always had a big crush on Rayna going back to the beginning of their careers, but Rayna's heart had eyes only for Deacon in those years, and she was a prize to be won away from Deacon. Luke has always been jealous of Deacon, as he said at the polo match Deacon was the better talent.

I was on another forum and someone posted 6 very sexy pictures of Deacon/Rayna making love at the cabin. Why didn't we get to see that part of the episode? Let me tell you they are very, very explicit, sexy, romantic and I can't stop watching it. Was is too X rated for TV because I've seen a whole lot more in daytime soaps.

Edited by Sutton
  • Love 1

Sadie certainly has a type, doesn't she? Granted, Luke isn't as bad as her ex (as far as we know) but he is controlling and has a quick temper- but can certainly be charming as hell when he wants to. Run, Sadie, run!

I said almost the same thing when I was watching. I don't hate Luke - I even like him much of the time - but he does tend toward verbal and physical violence when he's angry - which seems pretty much the same energy as her ex to me.

As for the Unhappy Hooker, she's got, well, a "portable" trade - don't think she'd need quite that much to get away and start up again. Though, as it has been pointed out, she's a little long in the tooth.

I think Rayna smashed that guitar to prove to Deacon that his statement that "nothing matters anymore" was BS. And, it kind of worked.

So did anyone else wonder why Gunnar didn't know Scarlett's twitter war was blowing up? They showed him getting his notifications before he and Avery went to dinner - surely he didn't turn off his phone.

I'm tired of Will's refusal to come out of the closet. What was originally a fairly moving story is now just repetitive. It may reflect real life, but Nashville isn't real life and three seasons is too long.

Teddy. Needs. To. Go. I love Eric Close, and originally liked his character. Now he's three stooges stupid and boring.

• Love 2

Can we please just get rid of Teddy and Jeff already?

Luke Wheeler needs to go first.

This can't end good for poor Teddy.  Now he's looking to embezzle money.

Old habits die hard. Wasn't this his season one plot, along with his mistress? (Peggy, was it?)

I don't care what they end up naming that baby. It will be Julery in my heart.

Please don't get that going--could you live with Averietta?

There's a late night commercial for a local pawnshop and the spokesmodel goes on and on about the "jew-ery."  It's like a mosquito in my ear canal. 

• Love 1

I sooooo disagree. Matter fact, I will raise you a return of Zoey and an once a year visit from Micah to be rid of Jeff.

He's the ugliest male cast member as well as the guy with the weakest voice. The character of Luke adds absolutely nothing to the story, now that he's done being the foil for Deacon and Rayna. The sooner he's gone, the better.

Jeff can go too so long as he takes Luke with him.

I can't stand Rayna-- her singing, her crying, her making out, her weird low hairline, any of it.  I feel like the writers didn't intend her to be hated.  Maybe it's just the actress I hate.

Why couldn't Laura Benanti have been Rayna?  

I need Juliette back. The Rayna/Scarlett hype machine is getting back on track and I don't think I can stand it without Juliette to balance it out. Avery calling her at the end was adorable but it's not the same as having her in the thick of things. Sadie and Layla might have some nice songs but they don't come close to bolstering the plot the way Juliette does. And Layla/Jeff is still creepy, show. I don't care how in love you pretend they are. Stop trying to make it happen.

Even just hanging out with Gunnar and Scarlett, Avery pulls focus. And for real, Gunnar. Either get your romance with Scarlett back on track or SHUT UP about it. I haven't cared about them since the first few episodes in season 1. I mean I'll close my eyes and ignore all the nonsense that happened since then if they want to get back together but enough of this will they/won't they.

What do gay people have a secret language of meaningful looks? That was a leap, Nashville.

LOL @ that ending though. Oh, the soapy goodness.