Type keyword(s) to search

FX Renews The Americans For A Fourth Season

Here's the link to the renewal announcement from Michael Ausiello's TVLine.com site, even though it probably says the same things as the announcement the site put up:

http://tvline.com/2015/03/31/the-americans-season-4-renewal-fx/

Here's the link to the announcement from Variety. It includes comments from the Exec Producers which I don't think were in the TVLine version, so I'm adding it:

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-americans-season-4-renewal-fx-1201463530/

I'm also adding the link to the announcement from The Hollywood Reporter because it discusses how the ratings have stacked up this season, I think in comparison to last season & S1:

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/americans-renewed-fourth-season-785558

Just for the heck of it (& because I'm a "completist"), here's the link to TVGuide's announcement, which doesn't say anything different than the original 1 I posted from TVLine:

http://www.tvguide.com/news/fx-renews-americans-for-season-4/

The link to the announcement from Entertainment Weekly (EW.com), which I'm adding because the photo's different & it talks about the ratings again:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/31/americans-renewed-season-4?hootPostID=03b374535b89a48d0f917ffd7c7464f1

And count me in on all the woo-hoo's & happiness on S4! Even if we don't get to see it until next year.

Now if the CBS execs would just get off their collective ass already & announce Hawaii Five-0 has a 6th season (even if they also announce it'll be their last), I'll be really happy. Just saying.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

Count me in, too. I didn't watch Season 1 when it was on, because I am not at all interested in spy stuff from the 1980s. I was really bored, we had just gotten Netflix (or maybe Amazon prime) and season 1 was available, and I started watching it. Now, I really love it.

I just love this show; it amazes me it made it to air, much less is surviving.

THR: "low-rated but critically acclaimed"

How many shows like this are critics keeping alive? And are any of them half this good?

I have no idea how many similar shows the critics are keeping alive, or if they're half as good as The Americans. But I'd bet all of them (or mostly all) are on Cable networks, as opposed to Non-Cable networks. Cable has a better track record than Non-Cable TV when it comes to keeping "low-rated, critically-acclaimed 'gems'" alive.

• Love 1

I admit, I let out a small, involuntarily cheer when I saw the topic title.  I think this show has a few issues, I still love it, even if it is a little 'I am engaging Suspend Disbelief of All Kinds drive in 3....2...1."  for every episode.  Mainly, I adore the cast.  Just love every last one of them and if I get to see them do good work for another year, even with some "what the what now?" writing, then huzzah! Fun city for me.  

Also, Kerri Russel truly deserves to have some fun with Wig, hair and appearance changes on a weekly basis, since she was once punished rather severely for an impromptu hairstyle change. 

• Love 1

Just back on line after a spring break vacation.... Yeah!!!! So happy. Now I have to catch up on Season 3 (last episode I saw was Walter Taffett).

March 4????  Wasn't it January in past years????  That's soooooo far away!!!!!! 

BW Manilowe, I clicked Like in more of "Thank you" for the information but I do not like the information!

Edited by crgirl412

March 4???? Wasn't it January in past years???? That's soooooo far away!!!!!!

BW Manilowe, I clicked Like in more of "Thank you" for the information but I do not like the information!

S3 premiered in January, at least. Not sure about the 1st 2 seasons.

Anyway... According to this post from the TVLine website, from *before* they had set March 4 as the premiere date, they're apparently holding the show because they're running American Crime Story which, this season, is their dramatization of the OJ Simpson murder trial in February & they're premiering a new comedy show starring Zach Galafianakis in January. I know... I'm not fond of the idea either, though I may watch the OJ thing, if it's not on against something more important to me.

http://tvline.com/2015/11/12/american-crime-story-the-americans-fx-premiere-dates-2016/

I totally understand about "Liking" my post even though you didn't really like what I said. I didn't like having to say it, except for the fact we at least got a premiere date to pass along. It's 1 of those awkward things like "Do you 'like' a Facebook post, to acknowledge it, if someone's posted bad news in it?"

• Love 1

The show's finale was so long ago, I googled to make sure it wasn't cancelled.  It will be almost a year between seasons - even Game of Thrones isn't off that long.  I think it's a poor decision when ratings are never the best to start with.

• Love 2

Yes, I think it's a bad move because even a huge fan like myself loses track of the story lines. So much momentum dissipates when it's so long between seasons. That's why I thought it ws stupid to break the final season of "Mad Men" in two with a long wait in between. It was so disrespectful to the show for network to do that. I feel the same way here; they have something that could get a wider audience yet they withhold it so long many of the more casual fans could forget it entirely.

I wish the network would decide and commit to one or two more seasons and then it's finished so the writers could give it the treatment it deserves.

• Love 2

Does anyone know why FX doesn't show the last season prior to the new one beginning??  Bravo does it with most if not all of their reality-based shows.  The Americans is significantly harder to follow that any of the Real Housewives shows!!!  Is it money?  I don't understand the inner workings of television. Does FX make more money selling the DVD's?  Would they really make more that way than through the commercials that would be viewed if they showed the last season?  I find that hard to believe.  

Does anyone know why FX doesn't show the last season prior to the new one beginning?? Bravo does it with most if not all of their reality-based shows. The Americans is significantly harder to follow that any of the Real Housewives shows!!! Is it money? I don't understand the inner workings of television. Does FX make more money selling the DVD's? Would they really make more that way than through the commercials that would be viewed if they showed the last season? I find that hard to believe.

They aren't showing it now, but they should be showing S3 again--probably in a late-ish night/early morning timeslot--before they start running S4. I remember seeing the show listed (S2 eps), as I said in a late-ish night/early morning timeslot, last year before they started running S3 (but I never got to rewatch S2, because I had an extended hospitalization at the time FX was rerunning it & their TV provider didn't offer FX in the hospital's program package--but I would've been able to see it if I hadn't gotten sick or if I'd gotten discharged sooner, as our home cable provider does include FX in our channel package).

And I also seem to remember them doing the same with S1 eps prior to beginning S2 (I've also seen FX do this with their other original series, like Fargo--which they did again, just recently, before the current season aired--& the various seasons of American Horror Story).

Given the number of eps per season, & the time still left until S4 premieres (scheduled for March 4, next year), they may not start running S3 again until later this month or the beginning of January (shrugs).

I've been keeping an eye on the FX late night schedule lately &, unless somebody else sees the info & posts first, I'll post when (& if) I see S3 repeats of the show listed. I looked earlier tonight & it's not listed.

I got my college degree in Radio-TV-Film (basically Broadcasting/Mass Media), but it was 30 years ago when they didn't have a lot of the alternate methods of airing TV shows, or many commercially-available home videotapes/DVDs, like they do now.

So I really don't know (because we didn't have such factors in the business to really study to any degree at that point), but I'd think FX doesn't make that much, if anything, off of the sale of the DVDs &/or legal episode downloads at, like, iTunes &/or Amazon--let alone the sale of anything else they've licensed to sell with the show's logo, catchphrases, etc., at the merchandise section of FX's website (like T-shirts, sweatshirts, & other items).

If they're making anything, it's likely less than $1 per item; probably actually only a few cents per item. FX probably makes most of their profits on the show by things like selling the broadcast rights to TV networks outside the US (most TV networks, cable & non-cable alike, do). Although, if FX Networks is a listed production company in the end of show credits, they also get a fee for that (I don't know how much it is, or if it's per the season as a whole or per each individual ep though).

Thanks for the info!!!  I also should have added in my comment about FX showing the prior season at a decent time!!!  I don't DVR so I have to watch it when it's on.  Luckily, I am a nurse who works 3 twelve-hour shifts a week so it wouldn't be too bad if I'm off the next day or work nightshift that night since I stay up really late so I can sleep all day in preparation.  

I will also check for S3 on FX and post if I see anything! 

And we have an S4 premiere date & time: March 16th at 10PM Eastern/9PM Central on FX.

The linked article also gives a brief synopsis of the season premiere ep. And check out the poster (key art) for the premiere date at the bottom of the article.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-americans-season-4-premiere-date-fx-1201681507/

Also...

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/16/americans-season-4-premiere-date-fx

And...

http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-americans-season-4-premiere-date/

Also... Michael Ausiello at TVLine confirms that Keri's pregnancy with Matthew's baby WON'T be incorporated into the storyline, as most of us thought (but some of us still hoped).

http://tvline.com/2016/01/16/the-americans-season-4-premiere-date/

• Love 2

According to the episode guide on the S4 Wikipedia page for the show, Noah Emmerich isn't the only main cast member stepping behind the camera to direct an ep this season (Ep 5). Matthew Rhys is listed as the director of Ep 8 this coming season. I don't think we knew that already--at least most of us didn't.

Here's the link to the S4 Wikipedia page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Americans_(season_4)

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 2