Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 4/6/15

4/6: Gene Baur (author – promoting book “Living the Farm Sanctuary Life: The Ultimate Guide to Eating Mindfully, Living Longer, and Feeling Better Every Day”)
4/7: Peter Dinklage (actor – promoting “Game of Thrones”)
4/8: Tavis Smiley (host of PBS’s “Tavis Smiley” & author – promoting book “My Journey with Maya”)
4/9: Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA & author – promoting paperback of “A Fighting Chance”)

• Love 2

And so, the Trevor Noah controversy has been put to rest, whether you like it or not. So sayeth Jon.

How could someone like Mike Pence not know that people inside and out of Indiana would be up in arms about his new law that lets people discriminate against gays for religious reasons? How could he, because he's a fucking moron! Kicking and screaming into the 21st Century will evangelical religious assholes like Mike Pence be violently dragged.

• Love 4

Mike Pence IS an idiot.

This is not the first time he's tried to pull some bullshit stunt to further his national political agenda.  A few months ago he tried to set up a government run news agency, until even the Republicans in the state legislature were calling it Pravda on the Prairie.  It was stopped within a week of its announcement, and Pence "stated" (read: lied) that he didn't have the slightest idea what his staff was doing. 

He tried to get a law passed so that he could run for President and Governor simultaneously, and once again, even the Republicans shot him down. 

He turned down $10 million in federal aid for pre school funding, and even Republicans asked wtf was he thinking. 

He has fucked up our educational system even more than it was, trying to get rid of the head of the Dept of Education, an elected office, who received more votes than he did. 

He is an embarrassment to the State, and hopefully he will have learned his lesson and go away. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I appreciated that Baur didn't seem to be a fanatic about veganism. He seems to realize that it doesn't work for everyone for various reasons. I'm not going to give up bacon or a thick juicy steak, but after reading Fast Food Nation and similar works, I do make a conscious effort to buy ethically raised meat. 

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

I agree 100% with the "animal welfare" part of what he was saying, but there is actually quite a lot of dispute from a number of different places as to the truth in what he was saying about meat-eating as it relates to health and environmental issues. I would say that it's FAR from a settled question as to whether the water and land use in meat farming is anywhere close to what he's saying, and there is even more doubt as to whether veganism is a way to solve the world's health problems.

(edited)
I would say that it's FAR from a settled question as to whether the water and land use in meat farming is anywhere close to what he's saying, and there is even more doubt as to whether veganism is a way to solve the world's health problems.

I gave that first point a side-eye, too. Almond trees, for one, aren't exactly the cacti of the ag world. As for veganism as panacea, I got the impression he was saying that moving in that direction—i.e., depending less on animal and animal-based products—was healthier. Humans are omnivores for a reason, but at least he showed that he understood it wasn't something that could happen overnight. He seemed to get the nuances and wasn't just screeching "Meat is OMG TEH EVUL!!11"

Edited by dubbel zout

Yeah, I try to be careful about my food purchases, but you're limited by economics. I do have a vegan night each week though. I make Asian tacos or some kind of curry. I eat pasta regularly and make my own pesto, so I guess that counts too. My portions are like 50/50, meat/veggie. I always have them as part of dinner. 

But I have ham or turkey sandwiches for lunch and I like a small glass of milk in the morning or a smoothie. I don't care how much that turkey likes following me around. He is delicious. Don't try to tell me that my intelligent dog that comprehends upwards of 300 words is the same as a turkey. 

I think the better point is that people on average are eating more than they should, and getting more vegetables in your diet can help with that. 

Don't try to tell me that my intelligent dog that comprehends upwards of 300 words is the same as a turkey. 

Holy crap, 300 words! I've met chickens who are smarter than my dog. She maxes out at about 2 words. Dumb as a brick, but adorable. (I actually have silly rules about feeding her meat -- I don't feed her anything definitely smarter than she is. So no pig products, for instance.)

God, the relief I feel when Jon's back after a vacation during which major news stuff happened that made my brain explode... I just. I don't know. I need him, you guys. What will we do? 

• Love 4

How could someone like Mike Pence not know that people inside and out of Indiana would be up in arms about his new law that lets people discriminate against gays for religious reasons? How could he, because he's a fucking moron!

Oh, he knew exactly what he was doing. As Jon said, "He got caught." Certainly he was hailed by Christian conservatives for signing this law, he just didn't expect the national and corporate backlash. 

Yeah, I try to be careful about my food purchases, but you're limited by economics.

And locations. Sometimes it seems like people like Baur don't understand not everyone has access to a farmer's market. That's why veganism or even vegetarianism strikes so many people as elitist snobbery. I found the interview frustrating because it seemed like they were discussing the wrong topic. The topic shouldn't be "eating more vegetables will make you healthier." Everyone has heard that. The topic should be "why you have so few choices." He said something about there being vegan fast-food drive thrus, but I'll be damned if I've ever seen one, and I live in a fairly large metro area. 

• Love 2

Once, many years ago, I asked a vegan evangelist what would happen to all the cows, pigs, sheep and chickens if everyone went vegan.  You can't release them to the wild, and there are only so many zoos.  (He never came to grips with the question.)

The thing with cattle is that you devote resources to growing their feed.  Look at how much feed a cow consumes versus how much meat you get from a cow, and compare the nutritional values.  So yeah, I believe meat a less efficient use of resources.  That doesn't mean I want to get rid of it.  But I do get by just fine on 6-8 ounces of meat a day, which I suspect is below the national average.

I think everyone should eat how they want, and figure out what is good for them.  For me, I've stopped eating meat and any time I do I just don't feel good.  So I'm better off with no meat and very little dairy.  But I certainly, as a former meat eater, realize how good it tastes.  

I just want whatever we do to animals to be as humane as possible. If they are sacrificing their lives for our sustenance then let's make that year or so of their life as comfortable as possible for them.  I'm not talking about cable tv and mani/pedis, just not being cooped up in cages/buildings living in their own excrement.  

I think that's a solution we can all work toward.   

• Love 8
(edited)

Sometimes it seems like people like Baur don't understand not everyone has access to a farmer's market. That's why veganism or even vegetarianism strikes so many people as elitist snobbery.

That's your perception, and yes, there are some snobby vegans.  But I live in Oklahoma City - reddest of the red ag/oil based states.  We have walmarts on every corner.  I am vegan and I can and have lived on what is available at walmart.  People who aren't veg just aren't aware of the choices out there because it is their habit to shop for other products.  We even had a totally raw food/vegan restaurant and culinary academy here for a few years.  I was always amazed it lasted as long as it did.  

Once, many years ago, I asked a vegan evangelist what would happen to all the cows, pigs, sheep and chickens if everyone went vegan.  You can't release them to the wild, and there are only so many zoos.  (He never came to grips with the question.)

Well, the question isn't really rooted in any realistic scenario...That is simply not going to happen.  It will happen over time, just like every other shift in culture over the centuries.  Also, many farmed animals like turkeys are bred to have the physical traits that we desire in meat, but which leaves them unable to reproduce naturally, at least at anything resembling a normal rate.  Those same physical traits reduce their natural life span...That's why the presidential turkey pardon is such a farce.  Those turkeys wouldn't live anything resembling a normal life span due to the huge strain placed on thier bodies by their outsize breasts, weakness in their legs from being confined, etc...

Edited by shirazplease
  • Love 3

I can attest to the fact that being a vegetarian or a vegan is definitely not more expensive than being a meat-eater. I've never preached to anyone about it as it's a personal decision, but I do think it's important to clarify that "not eating meat" and "preferring farm-to-table/sustainable/fresh/organic/latest 'clean food' trend/etc/etc/etc expensive and harder-to-find foods" are not even in the same realm. Too many people assume they are because of some of the folks who fit into both camps and are overly strident about it. But I promise that my ramen noodles cost the same as everyone else's and I've never been to a farmer's market in my life!

That said, I've never seen a vegan fast food drive-thru in my life. But of course Baur knows about a handful of them because this is his life's work. I guess maybe he's referring to something like the Otarian chain? 

I know he doesn't normally do this sort of thing, but when Jon mentioned the GoFundMe for that pizza place raising almost a million dollars, I do wish he would have mentioned some of the alternative fundraisers that have gone up in response to that, which are raising money for homeless LGBTQ youth and for causes that actually advance civil rights. I'm depressed that few have raised even a small fraction of what the pizza place did.

• Love 1

In the Pence piece I wish John had pointed out that three of the people standing behind Pence in his secret Bill signing were Micah Clark, Terri Miller and Curt Smith  - they were big players last year  trying to get the Same Sex Marriage Ban through legislature - and Pence still had the nerve to say that this has NOTHING to do with discrimination?  I guess it was more of a revenge thing.

• Love 2
In the Pence piece I wish John had pointed out that three of the people standing behind Pence in his secret Bill signing were Micah Clark, Terri Miller and Curt Smith  - they were big players last year  trying to get the Same Sex Marriage Ban through legislature - and Pence still had the nerve to say that this has NOTHING to do with discrimination?  I guess it was more of a revenge thing.

Agree.   And I had a little problem with Jon saying "you can still be fired for being gay in Indiana". That's only partially correct.  Indianapolis and other major cities have ordinances against it.  

I was just discussing this with a coworker who asked me why he as a white Christian man, wasn't considered a protected class. 

Oh I don't know because your "class" has had all the power to discriminate against the rest of us FOREVER?!!!  You're the ones who write the laws, do you have to protect yourself against yourself? 

• Love 5

I'm depressed that few have raised even a small fraction of what the pizza place did.

I kept waiting for Jon (or anyone) to ask what gay or straight couple on earth would have their wedding reception catered by a pizza parlor. (No offense to anyone out there who had pizza at their wedding reception. I've just never heard of that before.)

• Love 3
I kept waiting for Jon (or anyone) to ask what gay or straight couple on earth would have their wedding reception catered by a pizza parlor. (No offense to anyone out there who had pizza at their wedding reception. I've just never heard of that before.)

I was thinking the same thing all last week.   I can say if my sister lived here in Indpls and remarried, she'd probably have Bazbeaux Pizza at her reception. When she visits, it's the first place we go.   It is pretty good pizza. 

(edited)

I was just discussing this with a coworker who asked me why he as a white Christian man, wasn't considered a protected class. 

He actually is in three protected classes -- it's typically illegal to discriminate against someone based on their race, religion, or sex. He's protected by the Civil Rights Act and a lot of state and local laws.

Which is really the great irony of this whole thing. A protected class (religious persons) against whom it is illegal to discriminate want the legal right to discriminate against others. 

And they say we want "special rights?" Ha!

(Edited because I feel the need to clarify that I don't mean all religious people want such laws. Not even remotely. Just some.)

Edited by gesundheit
  • Love 5

But I have ham or turkey sandwiches for lunch and I like a small glass of milk in the morning or a smoothie. I don't care how much that turkey likes following me around. He is delicious. Don't try to tell me that my intelligent dog that comprehends upwards of 300 words is the same as a turkey.

I raise poultry for my consumption every summer; some years chicken, some years turkey.  They get to run around pretty much wherever they like all day, and at night they are confined to protect them from the decidedly non-vegan coyotes who regard my back yard as an all you can eat buffet.   I don't enjoy butchering them (the chickens and turkeys, not the coyotes), but I figure they live a pretty happy tur-chicken life up to the last moment, and as you say, delicious. 

But for some reason last year,  the turkey's I raised imprinted on me.  I didn't raise them any differently than any other year, but by the the time they were 2 months old, OMG, I'd come home from work, and as I drove in the driveway, there would be eight turklettes thundering out to greet me like the reunion between Roddy McDowell and Lassie.   My 3 pretty intelligent dogs?  They'd glance up as I walked in the house, and give me a look like "Can you keep it down? We're trying to watch Oprah."   They (the turkeys, not the dogs) still ended up in the freezer, and still delicious, but I'm raising chickens this year, and thinking that actually hummus is pretty delicious too.

• Love 5

He is an embarrassment to the State, and hopefully he will have learned his lesson and go away. 

Embarrassment to the state?  So that means he's coming here to Kansas.

I was staring at this for awhile and wondering "Curt Smith?  What the hell is he doing in Indiana?"  Took me a second to realize it wasn't the Curt Smith.

That whole piece reminded me of something KWCH covered here in Kansas years ago.  Someone hung the rainbow flag outside their house and it pissed his neighbors off.  He explained that the flag means peace and friendship.  The neighbors were irate because it's used by the LGBT community, and one of them said hanging that flag was like hanging a Nazi flag in a Jewish neighborhood.

• Love 1

Agree.   And I had a little problem with Jon saying "you can still be fired for being gay in Indiana". That's only partially correct.  Indianapolis and other major cities have ordinances against it.  

If they got to keep it the way they wanted the RFRA bill would have superseded local ordinances - which I will NEVER believe was not their intent.  Luckily my Bosses look at the work I do and not my orientation -  I won't hide who I am and they LOVE my wife.

• Love 5

He actually is in three protected classes -- it's typically illegal to discriminate against someone based on their race, religion, or sex. He's protected by the Civil Rights Act and a lot of state and local laws.

Which is really the great irony of this whole thing. A protected class (religious persons) against whom it is illegal to discriminate want the legal right to discriminate against others. 

And they say we want "special rights?" Ha!

The thing is he doesn't think he's in a protected class because he's never faced discrimination on the basis of his gender, race, sexual orientation or religion because discrimination against white, straight Christian men is rare... and some feel the need to make up instances of discrimination which amounts to not being the default dominant voice. I remember being told as a kid that having a Menorah with a Nativity scene meant Christmas was being taken away from us when, no, it we were just being asked to share.

But I'm so glad Jon took on the "gay people are the KKK or Nazis of Christians" talking point. It says plenty about how much they hate gay people (as Jon pointed out). Plus, refusing to put a swastika on a cake isn't the same as refusing to sell a cake to someone because they're gay. I actually wonder how differently some of these cases would go if a bakery agreed to bake a wedding cake for a same sex wedding but refused to put a cake topper with a same-sex couple on top. They'd probably fine.

I'm going from memory but I do think Jon said "most of Indiana." He didn't really explain it though I did assume there were several cities with laws about it.

(edited)

Well, now this makes much more sense.

Also, Peter Dinklage is always such an interesting guest. I could listen to him for hours, because you can never tell what he's going to say.

Edited by LADreamr

Being told to get along with a group of people who are not like you does NOT mean you are being persecuted for your religious beliefs! Someone needs to tell these people to grow the fuck up.

I do think Hasan was holding back quite a bit with the Republicans response to the framework deal with Iran, lol, sigh. It's quite clear that the greatest threat to world peace comes from the douchebags in the Republican party and their enablers from the right wing noise machine.

Did Jon actually allow that flip flopping creep Rand Paul to use TDS footage of him in his announcement to run for U.S. President? Doesn't matter, he ain't got a hope in hell of getting the nomination, much less becoming president.

Peter Dinklage rules. If he were to appear on Real Time, Bill Maher would spend half the interview time making fun of his height. Jon, never. And not because he's height sensitive as well.

• Love 1

Hasan's bit was awesome. 

The other day in my car listening to NPR, I heard someone say something like, "We need to keep government out of religion, not religion out of government." *sigh* Where do I start?

• Love 2
Did Jon actually allow that flip flopping creep Rand Paul to use TDS footage of him in his announcement to run for U.S. President?

No, I think that was part of the joke at how long the introduction to Paul actually getting onstage. 

I don't think there was much humor to mine with the Iran deal. I appreciate the footage of the Iranians though. I thought the actual bit went on too long. 

The chinese fortune cookie joke was spot on too. I'm sick of the "this is a terrible deal. Iran has a clear path to a nuclear weapon." Could you please tell me the provisions that concern you the most? Netanyahu has been insisting that anything more than zero centrifuges would be unacceptable. That's also totally unrealistic. It's galling because it's so lose-lose for Obama. There is literally no deal that could have been negotiated where'd they'd say, "hey, not bad. this was good work." Nevermind that it's the most legit negotiations with a state that we haven't talked to for nearly 40 years. I really hope it works. 

I get Dinklage's point that people are harsh on Martin to finish the books; however, Martin himself admitted he should have had the book completed by now. He said he took too long of a break after finishing the last one. So, yes, it's a process, but within reason. 

I like Game of Thrones, but I'm not reading the books. Maybe when they're all done. I'm over this multi-decade fantasy series. I went through the Wheel of Time and Thomas Convanent and they conclusions weren't even remotely worth it. The author *died* before finishing the Wheel of Time ffs. 

Guess the Rolling Stone publisher took Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom approach to his staff's fucking up royally because they're all great and noble and can do wonderful things.

Hope they handled all the animals Samantha was handling with great care. I felt bad for the terrier puppy dangling like that.

Good interview with Tavis Smiley on the time he spent with Maya Angelou. And it was good that he was able to answer one of Jon's questions by using the latest killing of a African American by a white cop in South Carolina. I'm sure we'll hear more about that from Jon soon.

Wow Fox News thingy. You're too clueless and mean spirited to understand what the president was saying.

• Love 1

Hope they handled all the animals Samantha was handling with great care. I felt bad for the terrier puppy dangling like that.

I don't think it was really dangling. Sam was probably just holding it up in the air with the harness attached but not bearing any weight. 

I didn't quite get the MOZ because they didn't show what the woman said. I assume it's the typical, "Obama is clearly anti-christian and hates America because you can't criticize The American Religion ever at all."

If only it would be so easy to put Sam Brownback's Kansas on the kind of restrictive dole they themselves have decided to do to the state's poor. However, Republicans and Fox News would be screaming bloody murder 24/7 until they were removed.

I heart Elizabeth Warren.

When I grow up, I want to be Elizabeth Warren. No, correction. I want all grown ups to be like Elizabeth Warren.

Gah, can you imagine how different things in Washington might be if there were more senators and congress people like her. Stuff that actually benefits the majority, not just wealthy special interests and corporations, might actually get done.

• Love 6

I've seen it mentioned here, but hadn't noticed any braying donkey audience members before the Warren show.  Holy shit, was that ever annoying.  Plus--and this is weird--I was embarrassed on behalf of TDS lovers because I wanted us to make a good impression on Elizabeth Warren.  She's just superlative.

• Love 2

I've seen it mentioned here, but hadn't noticed any braying donkey audience members before the Warren show.  Holy shit, was that ever annoying.  

I only noticed one time that was annoying, and now I can't remember what it was. Some people in the audience laughed when she said something that was not funny. She glanced at them then continued.

My one complaint (well, two, counting the above) is that Jon interrupted a lot. Warren would be explaining something in a really interesting and involved way, and then Jon would interject some question or comment. 

I've seen it mentioned here, but hadn't noticed any braying donkey audience members before the Warren show.  Holy shit, was that ever annoying.  Plus--and this is weird--I was embarrassed on behalf of TDS lovers because I wanted us to make a good impression on Elizabeth Warren.  She's just superlative.

I shut the show off halfway through the first segment. I heard that laugh and though "There s/he is again." I have no problem with a robust laugh. I was raised on 1970s laugh tracks but that cackle makes me want to do the Vulcan Nerve Pinch on that one.

As for Kansas, the Democrats should spend the next 19 months pointing to Kansas as the poster child for Republican shitshow policies. Kansas should become their Benghazi but the Dems are just so weaksauce.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 1

My one complaint (well, two, counting the above) is that Jon interrupted a lot. Warren would be explaining something in a really interesting and involved way, and then Jon would interject some question or comment. 

I know humorous interjections are a skillful way to control an interview without offending, but occasionally he will just smash a guest's very interesting point with a stupid pun.  When Christine Lagarde was the guest, I wanted to put my hand over Jon's mouth.  She would be in the middle of some fascinating illustration but immediately stop talking as soon as he took a breath to insert an irrelevant French joke.  It's the only time I've seen him totally outclassed.

I shut the show off halfway through the first segment. I heard that laugh and though "There s/he is again."

As for Kansas, the Democrats should spend the next 19 months pointing to Kansas as the poster child for Republican shitshow policies. Kansas should become their Benghazi but the Dems are just so weaksauce.

You mean they've let that same jackass into the studio more than once?!?  I was literally fantasizing the scene where he was dragged away during the commercial break; I started noticing when the jokes were so unexpected he didn't have time to draw the necessary air to produce his patented hee-haw.  It was that damn distracting.

Dems/weaksauce:  perfect analysis.  Is every last cutthroat media expert a Repub?  The Kochs must own the whole rolodex.  Is there a Soldier of Fortune-type magazine where they advertise that we just don't know about?

• Love 1

Not just Kansas. Florida and Wisconsin, to name two, should also be held up as examples of the kind of catastrofuck the Republicans Ayn Rand fantasy world have had at the state level, and can also do at the federal level should these Tea Party crackpots get a large significant amount of power.

But they won't. Because A) the "liberal soaked and stained" mainstream media will not allow such a platform to be built. And B) because, if they do, the weaksauce Democrats will get hauled off into a dark room by some of their wealthiest donors and have screamed right into their faces, on pain of death: "YOU! WILL! NOT!!!!!"

• Love 2

Dems/weaksauce:  perfect analysis.  Is every last cutthroat media expert a Repub?  The Kochs must own the whole rolodex.  Is there a Soldier of Fortune-type magazine where they advertise that we just don't know about?

You touch on something that's been driving my liberal ass crazy for years now. Dems/liberals/the left doesn't get cutthroat because too many people on the left care more about feeling good i.e. superior than getting stuff done. The right will never have to accept responsibility for their awful ideas because liberals are always willing to come in and save them. During the Ebola "crisis" I made a post on a liberal site that I would honestly like to have seen what would happen if Texas had been forced to deal with the outbreak without the help of the CDC. (Not that the CDC didn't do lots of screwing up.) And people jumped allover me, "But they're our fellow Americans!" (Tell that to them, not me.) "This isn't the time to make it political!" (Goodness no. We wouldn't want to let people deal with the real life consequences of their political beliefs.) "Why would you want to hurt the people who didn't vote for Rick Perry?" (For the same reason, I have to live with the consequences of a Republican governor I didn't vote for. Cause that's how it works.) It's not the rich donors that screw us, it's the bleeding hearts who think everyone has to be Gandhi even while cops shoot us in the back. Nobody undercuts a liberal like another liberal all hopped up on superiority. 

Liberals do a much better job of kneecapping ourselves with our desire to be "better than them" than conservatives ever could and I for one am sick to death of it. Personally, I don't care if I'm better than them, I care whether I have to live according to their rules.

(Sorry. I just had to get that out. It's been that kind of week.)

• Love 4

The Democrats basically lost the Senate by not pointing to KS as an example. They should really sit down and think of a real campaign strategy. It's not even unseemly. KS is a clear example in real life how these kind of policies are wrong. I don't see any problem with that.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

The Democrats basically lost the Senate by not pointing to KS as an example. They should really sit surrender and think of a real campaign strategy. It's not even unseemly. KS is a clear example in real life how these kind of policies are wrong. I don't see any problem with that.

The Democrats' behavior in the midterms was a complete master class in failure. After the election I unsubscribed from all the DNC emails and told them that until Democrats stopped acting like pussies, I won't send them another dime. Honestly, I'd vote Green if I didn't know that would only be a gift to the GOP.

• Love 5