Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Infants Of Spring

Hmm, this Liam and Gemma intro should be interesting. Always good to have a bad girl against the sweet girl. I just hope they don't turn it into the commoner Kate Middleton v/s the high society aristocrat girl.

• Love 1

I meant to post this last week, but anyone have any ideas how Robert really died?  I'm not buying the "military accident" angle.  I think he committed suicide.  Maybe from the pressure to be perfect and live up to the royal name and all, and that's why the king wants to abolish the monarchy.  Either that, or he died doing something really stupid (like falling off a balcony while drunk), and the family is trying to protect his good reputation.

As for this week, I missed the beginning.  I found most of it pretty boring.  Gemma/Ophelia/Liam = yawn.  I still don't totally get what's going on with Jasper and Eleanor. 

I found this week to be a lot of fun and much better than last week, maybe because I gave into the camp. Or because they are doing quintessentially British things like having a garden party. Whatever, this was fun! Still wildly inconsistent-- like one moment Liam and Ophelia are bombarded by photographers while having coffee and then later Liam's ex-girlfriend is breaking into the least secure palace in the world and then Liam, Ophelia, and nameless(?) friend end up in a pub w/o security or photogs. Because of course.

I actually liked that Ophelia tried to show up Gemma by drinking JD and totally got trounced. And then threw up in front of Liam. Oh girl, you are no Kate Middleton. (That we know of.) I like bitchy Gemma who can hold her drink (though not the entitled attitude) so I look forward to seeing her again.

Right now Marcus is probably my favorite, because he does his job and is totally nonplussed.

I dislike the Jasper/Eleanor storyline because it's really shitty that he's blackmailing her for sexual favors and freaking drugged her. Telling her parents (her father at least) would get that s.o.b. imprisoned so fast his head would spin. Why is this happening?

• Love 3
I dislike the Jasper/Eleanor storyline because it's really shitty that he's blackmailing her for sexual favors and freaking drugged her. Telling her parents (her father at least) would get that s.o.b. imprisoned so fast his head would spin. Why is this happening?

This.  This story line is irritating because the "out" for Eleanor is so obvious, so the threat has no real bite.   It just makes Eleanor look stupid. 

Otherwise, the show is campy fun.  I'm in.

• Love 2

I found this week to be a lot of fun and much better than last week, maybe because I gave into the camp. Or because they are doing quintessentially British things like having a garden party. Whatever, this was fun! Still wildly inconsistent-- like one moment Liam and Ophelia are bombarded by photographers while having coffee and then later Liam's ex-girlfriend is breaking into the least secure palace in the world and then Liam, Ophelia, and nameless(?) friend end up in a pub w/o security or photogs. Because of course.

I actually liked that Ophelia tried to show up Gemma by drinking JD and totally got trounced. And then threw up in front of Liam. Oh girl, you are no Kate Middleton. (That we know of.) I like bitchy Gemma who can hold her drink (though not the entitled attitude) so I look forward to seeing her again.

Right now Marcus is probably my favorite, because he does his job and is totally nonplussed.

No, Ophelia is definitely not Kate Middleton. Kate was known for typically sticking to one drink when she and William were still going to clubs.

I thought this episode was better than the premiere. I thought the disappearance and reappearance of Jasper in the bed was funny but otherwise I'm not exactly into that storyline. I think Eleanor is one of the more interesting characters and I like that she was able to take control of her situation. I agree that Jasper is kind of coming across like an asshole.

The twins also continue to amuse.

I love villains so that's probably why I'm liking the scenes with the uncle. Who was the guy he had sex with? I know Helena mentioned it earlier but I'm confused. Is that guy Gemma's father? Why is he important? Speaking of Gemma I suspect she'll be annoying.

As for Helena's affair with the blonde guy--

I think Liam's bodyguard hit the nail on the head in the pilot episode. I don't think that Liam is Simon's son. I'll go one step further with that theory and make the long shot prediction that that Ophelia will turn out to be Simon's child.  

Edited by Avaleigh

I got the feeling last night that Jasper doesn't actually have anything on Eleanor.  He's doing it to tame her.  Seems like a plan that was not well thought out because to be honest, Eleanor has been seen doing way trashier things than anything he explained.  I mean, she lit up a doobie and started drinking straight from a bottle in front of a shitload of people....would she be that upset if someone saw her in a sex tape?  She's already had her cooch photographed and splashed on the tabloids.  Seems a sex tape would be expected.  

He seemed jealous of the swimmer, especially after he insulted her.  He's trying to teach her a lesson and calm her down, which isn't working well because she isn't really into being tamed.  She just wants to piss her mother off.  I think it will be revealed that he has a thing for her.

I laughed at the scenes with her mother that morning and the fact that she can't tweet anything without her social media consultant editing it.

Liam is fun.  I don't mind him so much.  I know next to nothing about Prince William but he's always seemed to me to have a pretty dry sense of humor.  I think William Moseley is doing a decent job of getting that attitude down if that's who Liam is supposed to be modeled after.  I also kind of admire the fact that he wants to prove everyone who thinks he can't be King wrong.  

I don't think the twins are Simon's....they're the blonde dude's.  Totally missed his name when he was introduced.

• Love 3

I found this week to be a lot of fun and much better than last week, maybe because I gave into the camp. 

Agreed -- I just sat back and let the campiness flow and I enjoyed it quite a bit -- this is definitely not a show that will stand up to any sort of in-depth analysis or accuracy checks, and really, who cares? Embrace the ridiculousness!

I for one think that Queen Helena hired Jasper to help rein in her daughter, much in the way that the social media consultant is now modifying her activity. Queen H knows Eleanor is going to act up anyway -- do drugs, have sex with inappropriate people, so why not at least control it a bit? It would explain why he took out the swimmer rather than letting him have at it with the Princess and secretly videoing it. And we know Eleanor likes the sex with Jasper -- she was disappointed when he left without "blackmail sex." 

I think the King's brother had something to do with Robert's death -- he's definitely jonesing for the throne himself -- killing off the heirs one by one, making it look accidental based on their high-risk activity (Robert being in a warzone, Eleanor taking drugs on a regular basis, and Liam probably engaging in some sort of reckless behavior), then taking out the King and Queen at the last. 

I was amused by the twist that Ophelia lost the drinking contest -- went against the expected! Jim Beam is actually the whiskey made in Kentucky though, not Jack Daniels, as someone pointed out above. 

Regardless, I'm enjoying the show for what it is and you know Joan Collins and Elizabeth Hurley playing off each other is going to take the camp to a whole new level! 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 1

The first bottle of "bourbon" Ophelia offered Gemma was actually Jack Daniels and that's Tennessee Whiskey.  Someone wasn't doing their homework.

ITA. If you're from KY, its called Jim Beam.  If you're selling to an American audience, that doesn't take a lot of research to get right.

I don't think that Liam is Simon's son. I'll go one step further with that theory and make the long shot prediction that that Ophelia will turn out to be Simon's child.

Its so cliché that you're probably right on.

• Love 1

Was anyone else getting a Diana/Hewitt/Harry vibe?

If you're Cyrus and can figure out a way to get a DNA test on Liam, especially if you can blackmail the closeted husband to do it for you...if Liam isn't Simon's son, Cyrus gets to be King. DNA test doesn't even have to be accurate. Just sayin'

I went in with such low expectation so I like it so far. For some reason I'm getting a little bit of a Gossip Girl vibe from it. I'm also going to London (my first time!) next month so that could be why I'm into it.

• Love 2

Was anyone else getting a Diana/Hewitt/Harry vibe?

If you're Cyrus and can figure out a way to get a DNA test on Liam, especially if you can blackmail the closeted husband to do it for you...if Liam isn't Simon's son, Cyrus gets to be King. DNA test doesn't even have to be accurate. Just sayin'

He'd have to get Eleanor out of the way, too. Eleanor and Liam are twins (in this clip she calls Liam "big brother by four minutes"), so if they had different fathers that would be pretty messy on Helena's part. Very soapy!

I have to keep reminding myself that obviously, this universe didn't experience the Charles/Diana disaster and her death triggeiing the monarchy's biggest crisis in decades when the public scorned the royal family's initial stiff upper lip reaction to it. Liz Hurley is fun as a Real Housewife of Windsor but watching her go on about how the future King must marry a classy suitable girl and not riffraff like Ophelia requires a huge suspension of disbelief.

Confused about why Ophelia thought Gemma wouldn't be able to hang in a drink off. Because young and wealthy rich kids aren't known for being huge partiers? Especially the rich kids in the same social set as a young royal. Amateur move, Kate Wannabe.

Edited by Dejana

If Liam isn't Simon's son, then Eleanor isn't his daughter, either.  And that would mean the throne would go to creepy bro, right?

I love villains so that's probably why I'm liking the scenes with the uncle. Who was the guy he had sex with? I know Helena mentioned it earlier but I'm confused. Is that guy Gemma's father? Why is he important? Speaking of Gemma I suspect she'll be annoying.

I think he was a Parliment member, maybe?

If Liam isn't Simon's son, then Eleanor isn't his daughter, either.  And that would mean the throne would go to creepy bro, right?

Fraternal twins can have two different fathers. It's happened on soaps and talk shows before.

• Love 3

I got the feeling last night that Jasper doesn't actually have anything on Eleanor.  He's doing it to tame her.  

Totally agree with the Taming of the Shrew vibe in the Jasper/Eleanor relationship. The puzzle is why is he bothering. My theory is the queen brought him in and maybe he is secretly Eleanor's intended. Or, her brother Robert put one of his military buddies up to it since Jasper does seem to have some bodyguard skills, such as being able to knock out the swimmer with a neck pinch. Either way, I am enjoying their interplay the best.  

• Love 2

The first bottle of "bourbon" Ophelia offered Gemma was actually Jack Daniels and that's Tennessee Whiskey. Someone wasn't doing their homework.

It is shocking that this show would get something wrong! But I think in this case it was just a fake brand because it was actually called Eagle something and wasn't Eagle Rare though the bottle and label were similar to Jack.

I find everything about Jasper repulsive and the storyline is making me stop watching the show. Even on a soapy show date rape (real or just making her think it happened) and blackmail for sex and other favors that lead to a relationship makes me stabby.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I really don't think Ophelia will turn out to be Simon's daughter.  She's had sex with Liam and that would make it incest.  I just can't imagine the show going there

Not if it's found out that Liam and Eleanor are not Simon's.  Which has already been alluded to.

• Love 2

I am enjoying it while not much invested, but it kind of makes me sad because there are elements that show what actually COULD have been made, and wasn't.  It had Dynasty fun soap potential, but the need to be outrageous kind of sabotages the good stuff.  The father-daughter scenes with both King and Security Guy are nice.  The blackmailing bodyguard has promise. Elizabeth Hurley provides the Joan Collins counterpoint to Our Heroine(s).  Bromance with Liam and his bodyguard (the best chemistry in the whole show!)

And then the brother and his daughters roll in and it's the Carol Burnett show.  Imagine the brother behaving pretty much as he does, but without the clown costumes and the overacting?  The daughters being goofballs and unfashionable, but not junior high play characters?  Or even better, conniving "good girls" courting public opinion to make their father (and themselves) look like better choices for the royal line going forward?

I still haven't figured out why Liam goes body surfing in one scene then begs his father to let him prove he's worthy.

I'm still in disbelief over Ophelia's disgust that Liam dated Emma.  How is Ophelia any better than Emma?  At least Emma admits she has an agenda.  Ophelia acts like she's above that-but she's the one who knew who Liam was when he didn't have any idea who she was and bedded him knowing who he was.  She frustrates me whereas most of the other characters entertain me to a degree.

• Love 1

I find everything about Jasper repulsive and the storyline is making me stop watching the show. Even on a soapy show date rape (real or just making her think it happened) and blackmail for sex and other favors that lead to a relationship makes me stabby.

This this this.  Even for a show of this (low) caliber, that particular storyline is not funny or interesting or exciting at all.  It's just really really icky.  And if Eleanor's mother or her brother put Jasper up to it,that's even more icky. 

Agreed -- I just sat back and let the campiness flow and I enjoyed it quite a bit -- this is definitely not a show that will stand up to any sort of in-depth analysis or accuracy checks, and really, who cares? Embrace the ridiculousness!

Ridiculous is exactly the right word to describe it, but sometimes that makes for good entertainment.  I'm hooked so far.  I'm glad it has some decent production value too.  

• Love 2

Jeez, Ophelia is dull (and you go to KY and call Jack Daniels bourbon, you may get shot. And they got places to put you). Liam is dull too, but less annoyingly dull. Gemma is fun, she needs to stick around. Team Gemma all the way.

Eleanor is irritating. There is nothing I find interesting or intriguing about her. And I'm not sure I believe the drugged or the video story. I don't know, something fishy.

• Love 1

I had a thought come to me last night about Eleanor and Jasper-

Perhaps he's been sent by the Queen to protect her. Surely, Helena knows what Cyrus is up to. And apart from having her family whole, if they were to die or be disproved to be heir, Cyrus would become King and she would be nothing and we already know that is not an option for her. Jasper didn't show up until after the elder son's death. Had it been King Simon, he would have sent 6 middle aged men that look just like him and Eleanor would have made it a game to try and outwit them, but I think Helena sent a sexy Special Ops guy from somewhere (hence the comments of "your accent's slipping again") to tweak her interest a bit. I also think whomever put him there may have made the bedroom part of the job as well in order to keep her from unsuitable hookups and also to make sure no bedroom guests were sent from Cyrus, which may be why he put the other guy with the  jugular pinch thing last week. It also could explain why he was unflustered when the early morning visit from the queen came. Yes, he went to the bathroom while she was there, but there was no panic on his face in the process. There wouldn't be...if that's where you were expected to be.

• Love 1

I thought this episode was a vast improvement over the pilot.  Suddenly I'm really interested in the show and need to see the next episode.

Ophelia is the most cliched character, and the most cliched actor is playing her, and it's all the worst.  It's just the worst.  "I saw him at a bar and I called him an idiot."  Oh, Christ.

For some reason I'm getting a little bit of a Gossip Girl vibe from it.

In my opinion that 'some reason' is that this show is trying as hard as possible to be GG or can't help but be totally and wholly influenced by it.

Like another poster pointed out Ophelia is Dan.

That makes Liam Serena and I think, Eleanor as Blair.  (Although Elizabeth Hurley too...)

Cyrus is 110% Chuck.  Unfortunately I don't think I'll ever find Cyrus as compelling or sexy.

Now who is Nate?  Liam again, LOL.  

Those twins can be Jenny and Vanessa.

Gemma can be Georgina.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I went in with such low expectation so I like it so far. For some reason I'm getting a little bit of a Gossip Girl vibe from it. I'm also going to London (my first time!) next month so that could be why I'm into it.

I get the same GG vibe. Maybe because Elizabeth Hurley did a short stint on the show? Don't ask me how I know that.

Totally agree with the Taming of the Shrew vibe in the Jasper/Eleanor relationship. The puzzle is why is he bothering. My theory is the queen brought him in and maybe he is secretly Eleanor's intended. Or, her brother Robert put one of his military buddies up to it since Jasper does seem to have some bodyguard skills, such as being able to knock out the swimmer with a neck pinch. Either way, I am enjoying their interplay the best.  

I don't get him either. My money's on him working for somebody, probably the queen. I think she may even have hired him to trick Eleanor into staying in line, or he's working for Cyrus to stir shit up? I don't know if I even care enough to speculate...

I'm surprised that noone mentioned that those twins dragged off that swimmer for some unconscious sex.

I guess female on rape is comedy?

And a guy using blackmail to intrigue a royal prince is romance?

Ophelia is dull.

This show is straddling the line between offensive and unintentional slap stick.