Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Abby's Trash, Cathy's Treasure

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

The media go crazy for Maddie's second music video with Sia, so Abby has all of the girls do duets in her honor. But not everyone is a fan of Maddie's latest work, especially Cathy, who assembles a new Candy Apple team made up of dancers who have all worked with Abby and are ready to seek vengeance on the dance floor.

If this is the music video with Shia LaBeouf in it.. I am sure Abby will go on and on about how Maddie is now among the 'Big Time Stars'! BUT, if you 'google' to find out about it-(I tried to find out about all the 'media going crazy'), what I saw was SIA APOLOGIZING for this video.

She had LaBeouf in a cage-Dressed in 'dirty underwear', 'scuffling with a preteen girl in a cage' (which is Maddie,) Maddie was dressed up, again, like Sia, but this time in a 'dirty ' skin colored leotard . A lot of the media, people said it had tones of 'Pedophile'. Of course Sia apologized, said she thought some would think this but.. blah blah blah.. (some artistic thing)

and that the video was ACTUALLY ABOUT :

'2 warring 'SIA' self -states' (from twitter)

and : Maddie and Shia could play these parts (barf) -again on twitter!

I got this from the NY Daily News 1/8/2015 -but it is all over the internet. I personally have not seen the video, do not like Sia.. but, If MADDIE was my kid, and I saw what Sia wanted her to do in THIS video, it would have been a big 'NO'! I am old enough to remember all the screaming when Brooke Shields was in "Pretty Baby' (again, never saw it, mainly because I am around B.S.'s age, and now, do not have any interest).and I believe the work that her Momager thought would pour in from that movie, never did. (Yes, she did a number of Modeling jobs  as a teen, but, probably because she is close to 6ft and had the 'look', not because of P.B.!).

The PROBLEM with people shouting 'Pedophile' is that the Disney and Nick channels are not going to go out of their way to hire her if this 'cry' gets too loud-as in Parents see it and say 'Isn't that the girl in THAT video...'?  Melissa isn't bright and seems to be living through her daughters, and frankly, Abby as a manager? I do not know if this is true or part of the script, If true? What skills, experience does she have other then meeting a few Hollywood people at some social things when filming that one dance show? NONE!!  Again, this video should have been a 'no' for Maddie.. Sia is not going to be the next Bieber or Springstein.. even if she was, how many videos is she going to have 'herself' in? How many music videos do people (teens) watch anyway? It is NOT like the 1980s, 90s , when we have MTV, VH1 running music videos around the clock-now, you have to search out videos on Youtube, etc.. and as for SIA saying that Maddie, Shia both HER, warring.. Are teens, pre-teens going to get that? Are adults going to get that? No, they are going to see an 11 (?) year old and an almost 29 year old. touching, 'fighting', in dirty underwear, MADDIE looking like she is nude, but dirty.. while in a cage..

As for doing this TRIBUTE to MADDIE.. Abby having the other dancers do it.. I would love to know what the girls actually feel! Probably would like to beat the (&&*& out of Maddie, or Melissa or most likely, ABBY!! Tributes are for those who have died, or are retiring or have gotten many significant awards.. not 2 music videos and a small part on a show!! Don't know who came up with this stupid concept, but if Abby had even an ounce of brains, she would have put her foot down and said 'No'! This is going to divide the MOTHERS, GIRLS even MORE!! But, maybe she, they know something we do not know, maybe we are coming finally to the end of this horrid show?

Edited by luna70

I don't understand the whole Cathy thing.  I have watched this show since the very first season when Cathy wanted her daughter to dance with Abby.  Their relationship soured.  I get all of that.  I don't understand how she keeps getting these other dancers and parents to come and dance for her.  And then demand loyalty from them when she just tossed out her entire other team.  I just don't get it at all.  Is there money involved for these parents if they come and dance for her and the Candy Apples because of the TV show?  

I don't understand the whole Cathy thing.  I have watched this show since the very first season when Cathy wanted her daughter to dance with Abby.  Their relationship soured.  I get all of that.  I don't understand how she keeps getting these other dancers and parents to come and dance for her.  And then demand loyalty from them when she just tossed out her entire other team.  I just don't get it at all.  Is there money involved for these parents if they come and dance for her and the Candy Apples because of the TV show?  

Cathy never wanted Vivi on Abby's team---Cathy and Abby used to be close friends. Cathy has a contract with Lifetime; therefore, she plays the villian and Lifetime gets the team together. And yes, there is money. 

Disney didn't fire Miley when those underwear pictures leaked and Demi Lovato is still associated with Disney after drug rehab. I think the times have changed.

Maddie's mom needs to stop putting Maddie's hair in those super-tight buns.

Demi Lovato went to rehab for an eating disorder; not drugs. 

Miley was already on her way out the door when those pictures surfaced. 

The difference is both stars were already Disney branded by the point of scandal---though, tbh, I don't think Demi's was a scandal. She's used her pain for good, Miley well...yeah.

In my honest opinion, if Maddie was going to capitalize on a Disney career it would be now and she doesn't have the acting skill for it. I'm basing this on stuff we've seen on the show and the spots she's done in the past...with more classes I am absolutely sure she could make a decent actress. However, she's getting to an age where it's too late and that, imo, is what is going to keep her from getting a TV show or something along those lines. There are thousands of talent children all around the country; most of them sing, dance, and act with acting being their primary. Maddie's primary has been dancing---which, imo, is backwards to the dreams and aspirations her mom has for her. 

I wish her the best, but my biggest fear for Maddie is seeing her 10 years from now on a VH1's "Where are they now?" and her being in rehab for drug use or on a D list celeb reality show crying about her childhood. Of all the kids that have been on DM past and present, Maddie is the only one I'm truly concerned for in this area. Even Mackenzie, who is playing the role of a doll right now, will likely handle the end of DM's better. 

• Love 3

Those dance moms on Cathy's team are a bunch of cows.  Tacky, tacky, tacky.  Abby is right.  The mom who was shocked, SHOCKED, at the Sia video would never!  Yeah, right.  Her kid would be in the video in a heartbeat if she was asked.  So much jealousy around Maddie, it's amazing. 

Those girls on Cathy's team might be good on their own, but as a team they were boring and had no energy or stage presence.  The shortest one was the worst.  Her feet were turned in and she had sway back, probably from little core strength.  Also probably from learning advanced skills without a solid foundation. 

It seems like all of the girls who are winners in the dance competition world have been on the show and haven't shown to be that impressive.  None seem to be in Maddie's league, surprisingly. 

• Love 4

As far as this episode - of the 3 duets - Nia and Mac's was my favorite. Nia really portrays characters well. I thought Maddie and Kalani's dance was beautiful - but I'm more drawn to Kalani. She has much more grace and beautiful expressions. Maddie's seem forced and over the top whereas Kalani's are more subtle and seem natural. My least favorite duet was Jojo and Kendall. Again my eye is drawn to Jojo - Kendall  might as well not be there - she is very weak, as Cathy said, with her arms. When she dances nothing seems to pop.

I thought both group dances were good but was surprised that Abby won as both Jojo and Mac were off in a couple of places. Cathy's girls were beautiful in my opinion and I loved the choreography. As a side note if you notice at the end of the show now,  you'll see Gianna's name as choreographer with Abby as executive or something choreographer. As I've thought for a long time - Gianna does most of the choreography and Abby just approves it or makes small changes.

The Sia video - definitely disturbed me. I could understand Sia's explanation of the video if she had an adult woman and Maddie playing her inner self - but having a male do it is open to interpretation. The video has people talking - just like her first video - where Maddie almost looked nuts - that's why people are talking and all the publicity - it's outside the box. I don't know if it will affect Maddie's future but after Dance Moms - I just see Maddie being another good dancer. If opportunities appear for any of them, I think Nia may do well in her music video and Mac may do well with Nick or Disney.

• Love 3

I'm sick of the Abby fat jokes from Cathy. Plus Abby isn't even THAT big anymore. You can really tell the difference in her face when they showed the flashback to her competition show. I don't really believe they are villians. I think it's pretty much scripted at this point.

• Love 3

I wasn't really bothered by the Sia video. I thought the concept was pretty self-explanatory given Sia's previous video which also used Maddie as sort of an avatar. And I say that as a mother myself - I really wasn't bothered by it!

This show, though, that's another topic. I AM bothered by it! It's so freaking dumb anymore. WHY AM I STILL WATCHING! I wish my DVR had a setting that kept me from being able to record things to hatewatch! Haha. 

The movie Clue is one of my top 10 movies of all time and so I was excited to see a Clue dance...and it sucked. Whomp whomp. 

• Love 4

Those dance moms on Cathy's team are a bunch of cows.  Tacky, tacky, tacky.  Abby is right.  The mom who was shocked, SHOCKED, at the Sia video would never!  Yeah, right.  Her kid would be in the video in a heartbeat if she was asked.  So much jealousy around Maddie, it's amazing. 

Those girls on Cathy's team might be good on their own, but as a team they were boring and had no energy or stage presence.  The shortest one was the worst.  Her feet were turned in and she had sway back, probably from little core strength.  Also probably from learning advanced skills without a solid foundation. 

I agree about the Candy Apples moms.  So desperate to be on tv -- they'd switch to Abby's team in a heart beat if given the opportunity... whatever gets their kid on camera more.  And Haley's mom (the one who was "shocked"),  I have to agree with Abby.  She's sell her soul to have her kid be in that music video.  I remember her from Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition... I think Haley got eliminated pretty early on... and ever since they've been showing up at competitions, auditions, etc. trying to get on the show somehow. 

I could be wrong, but I think the little girl on the Candy Apple team was Kaycee Rice.  If so, then she has an enviable resume and is very well known in LA, but for hiphop.  Here's something more her style - https://youtu.be/ft1W3iTvGtA    

Anyway, its weird that she's on Cathys team. 

I could be wrong, but I think the little girl on the Candy Apple team was Kaycee Rice.  If so, then she has an enviable resume and is very well known in LA, but for hiphop.  Here's something more her style - https://youtu.be/ft1W3iTvGtA   

Wow, that video is great.  No wonder she looked so out of place, I doubt she trains in classical dance.  They wasted her talent in that boring dance the Candy Apple's did.

Freaky Friday? Seriously, some of Abby's story ideas are way out there. How would anyone who doesn't personally know Kendall and Jojo know that they were imitating each other in that dance? This duo could have easily gotten second place over MacKenzie and Nia if they'd been given a better storyline and choreography.

It really offended me the way Kendall said she wasn't from Nebraska. It just sounded so snotty. Kendall could use some of Jo Jo's personality since she has none of her own. I used to like Kendall, but this season changed my mind. I think Kendall really thinks she's something special now and she needs to get over herself.

And tonight was pretty much the Maddie and Shia Lebeouf show, and if I have to hear Sia's name one more time....

Edited by MoonWalker
  • Love 3

I wish her the best, but my biggest fear for Maddie is seeing her 10 years from now on a VH1's "Where are they now?" and her being in rehab for drug use or on a D list celeb reality show crying about her childhood. Of all the kids that have been on DM past and present, Maddie is the only one I'm truly concerned for in this area. Even Mackenzie, who is playing the role of a doll right now, will likely handle the end of DM's better.

Maddie isnt famous enough to warrant "where are they now?" treatment. No one will remember her once Dance Moms mercifully ends, even with the Sia videos. The kid can't act- the pained expression is her only face, and lyrical and/or contemporary dance can only get you so far. I see an anonymous choreographer gig in her future.

• Love 6

Renee (Tessa's mom) is no dummy. She is going to do just enough to keep Tess in the mix, but she is not going to roll in the mud with the rest of these heffers. When she told Jess to "get a f*cking life", that was classic Renee. She is not going to feed into the drama as much as the others. Her and Abby are close. The only reason that Tessa did not make the ALDC team is that she is nearly 15 and you know how Abby plays the numbers game when it comes to the group average.

• Love 2

Loved Sia video Elastic Heart don't see what the hoopla is about it is beautiful!! By the way does Cathy actually have students in her "dance school"? She doesn't train/ teach anyone she just brings in dancers from other studios and makes a "team", ridiculous

Anyway, its weird that she's on Cathys team. 

Wow!  That kid, as they would say on SYTYCD, really hits it hard.  She's terrific.

A link to a video that explains Elastic Heart: http://junkee.com/watch-sia-explain-the-meaning-of-elastic-heart-with-bananas-over-her-face/49420

I truly don't get the reactions from some who see pedophilia.

Clicking through to the original YouTube video, you can see that it was published on January 15th, just a week after the Elastic Heart video was released, it's sort of a shame it wasn't released at the same time.  It counters a lot of the "theories" about what the video represented, and it explains why Maddie in this episode refers to her character as a wolf.  That for me, takes a lot of what troubled me about the video away - they gave her a role that was appropriate for a pre-teen and not complicated by all the adult emotional implications.  So thank you very much for providing that link.  I never saw pedophilia, I just wasn't sure it was age appropriate placing Maddie in a role with so many psychological implications.  The thing is, even though I am now fully informed about the project, I can still see why many object to the video without that level of understanding about it.

Now I'm curious what the third video of the trilogy will bring, betting on a nude leotard though for continuity.

I had seen Nia and Kenzie's duet on YouTube from a jump competition and enjoyed it, but would never have derived Abby's "story" from viewing it.  I really liked Kalani and Maddie's duet - very preety, the group number?  Not so much - enjoyed last week's much more.  I think I will take the time to watch the full CADC group dance from the choreo cut show next week - because I suspect that I'll agree with Cray Cray Cathy that she may have been robbed.  Need to see the full versions of both dances to know for sure though.

Edited by NextIteration

I never saw pedophilia either, but I also didn't get it as explained in the video when I watched it. It did squick me out a little bit to have a 12-year-old trapped in a cage with a grown man, both dressed in nude leotards. I don't think my Mom would have let me do that, simply because of the overtones.

• Love 1

I've come to loathe Abby so much, that I've actually started rooting for the Candy Apples to win. Doesn't help that I actually tend to like her guest choreographers.

Was Melissa actually trying to shelter Maddie from any criticism controversy about the Sia video, or was that just Jill's interpretation? The girl can't possibly be clueless! The show elicited a larger eye roll from me than usual when it tried to insinuate that Maddie and Kalani could somehow overhear the moms' argument from the auditorium while they were waiting backstage. Oh noes, can Maddie overcome this adversity? Uh huh, sure, show.

Poor Chehon... the look on his face when Cathy got the "surprise" phone call from "TMZ" made it appear that he was questioning all of his decisions that led up to his showing up in Pittsburgh.

• Love 3

I'm routing for a .4 or lower rating.

Last week's primetime average for Lifetime was 929,000.  Shows are usually cancelled when they are slightly above the average (maybe 200K to 300K above).  I know that sounds odd, but the average includes weekends and reruns so to keep up first run shows have to pull more weight.  Although I believe DM is currently filming next season.  Unless something changes it could easily be the last one.

I'd love to know how much the Australia trip is costing them in total.  I know some of the costs involved and it makes me wonder if they are going to lose money on this next season.  

I'll admit I saw a pedo undertone to the video; even knowing what it's about, I still don't like it. BUT I also hated Chandalier and overall, I'm not a fan of Sia's songs or work. There is only one exception. I feel Sia is largely inappropriate for Maddie because being realistic, by 'playing a mini Sia' she is not only branding herself as Sia but she is who is doing photo shoots and appears as her as well. This hurts Maddie in a lot of ways, but it's allowing an adult to hide behind a child...Maddie or not, I wouldn't be down for that behavior period. Melissa, imo, is being incredibly irresponsible. 

• Love 7

I hate that I have to agree with Abby on something... But if Haley realty was outside of a Abby book signing, signing Abby's book I can't blame her, that is incredibly tacky. I didn't hear any of this until the other night when it was in dance moms... Does anyone have more details?

• Love 1

Yeah my feeling about both videos is that Maddie did an incredible job acting and dancing in both, but I dont really like them... they have a kind of icky vibe thats a little inappropriate for a kid. But like I said, she dances beautifully and clearly tells a story. 

I watched the video and it was creepy.  Either get an older girl or a younger boy to play the parts or change some of the choreography.  

Word. Sia needs to put on her big-girl pants. If you want a career in entertainment, you have to show your face and make public appearances like a normal person. Maddie is absorbing a lot of the criticism that is really for Sia.

Agreed.  I like some of Sia's songs but she's pretentious as hell and everyone already knows what her face looks like anyway (it's not hard to find photos) so she can just stop with the hiding her face bullshit.

• Love 2

I don't think that Abby is trying to shield Maddie as much as Melissa can't handle criticism about anything. 

Also, I'm pretty open minded. I don't have an issue with kids being involved in work that goes over their head as long as they are treated appropriately on set, have advocates over their physical/mental/emotional health, etc. There are child actors in movies and TV shows where they can't watch the actual final work. I watched shows/movies from a young age that had inappropriate content. I had absolutely no idea what was going on, didn't understand the joke or various double entendre, and it actually made it kind of fun to watch them again as an adult and discover a whole new level to things I already liked.

Remember: adults see sex and sexuality where kids don't. And if you're goal is to prevent other people from seeing sexuality in your kids, may as well lock them up in your house because it's going to happen regardless of what they're wearing or doing, and eventually you are going to have to accept that your children are sexual beings (children as in the people you gave birth to, not children as in literal child-aged). Maddie's parents are ok with it, there doesn't seem to be evidence of any wrong doing or poor effects, I don't see the issue. I'm way more bothered by these parents allowing their children to be exposed to Abby on a regular basis (including Maddie, as this kind of praise and ego building is going to make things worse for her in the long run)

• Love 2

There was a comment that one of the moms would have her kid standing on the corner if it meant fame.  That's exactly how I see Melissa.  Who cares what damage is done to Maddie (or Mac) as long as they are famous.

This. If I actually felt Maddie was surrounded by enough people to shield her I wouldn't be concerned; but she doesn't and that is what makes her the most vulnerable. I mean, a reporter actually asked her what she thought of the video's controversy in one interview---that should have been a no go before the camera started rolling. Melissa and her manager can state what can and can't be asked...clearly, they don't have common sense. 

• Love 3

Unless S/he is referring to a child who's a teen or above, you're right. Younger than that, they are in pedophilia territory. Maddie was not a teen when that video was made, and she certainly doesn't look like a teen, or woman, physically. That's the reason this video bothers people (including myself)  much.

I don't know why they (not the posters here) fail to understand that.

• Love 2

This makes no sense to me.

Adults, being adults and having adult knowledge, see things as sexy or sexual whereas kids, who lack the same knowledge, don't. So where as we may see the Sia videos has having sexual undertones, Maddie probably doesn't (i.e., the whole being in the cage with a grown adult, she was playing as a wolf). Same goes for dance moves that come up in some of the dances, or the costumes. 

^ Then since adults made the video, adults did the choreography, adults supervised, she danced opposite an adult, then the adults should have changed things one way or another to make the video less pedo-creepy.  It's the adults' job to keep the kid safe.  That a kid doesn't see any sexuality with something that was created by adults (and Sia said before she started that she was aware some could interpret it with pedo overtones) doesn't make it okay.

• Love 1

I don't think that normal, healthy adults will "see sexuality" when children behave in an age-appropriate manner. However, Maddie's role in the "Elastic Heart" video was not age-appropriate (in my opinion) so it was no surprise to me that people reacted the way that they did. It is not normal for a child to be in a nude leo with a grown, hairy man in dirty underwear, rolling around on the ground together in a cage. It's creepy. Sure, it's ~*art*~ but that doesn't mean that it doesn't rub me the wrong way. I understand the video's concept; it's not that difficult to understand. What I don't understand is why Sia would continue with her ~*artistic vision*~ when she herself acknowledged that it was provocative.

I could be wrong, but don't think Sia really said it was provocative per say - certainly not sexually provocative.  She said she expected some "Pedophilia!!!" cries, apologized for anyone who felt triggered, and stated she was trying to create emotional content.

I am one of the people who was not bothered by the video.  In my view, the lyrics were not sexual, the choreography was not sexual and a nude leotard on a 12 year old is, to me, not sexual.  An adult male and a female child acting together is not inherently problematic, and of course dancing will involve touching.  So while I might have found it creepy, I did not find it inappropriate.  But I respect the opinion of those that did have a problem with it.  To each their own.  

Edited by sofiah
  • Love 1

I see that Maddie has added a third face to her repertoire - lopsided smirk.

This. If I actually felt Maddie was surrounded by enough people to shield her I wouldn't be concerned; but she doesn't and that is what makes her the most vulnerable. I mean, a reporter actually asked her what she thought of the video's controversy in one interview---that should have been a no go before the camera started rolling. Melissa and her manager can state what can and can't be asked...clearly, they don't have common sense. 

This really bothers me.  Back in the day, Brooke Shields' (drunk) mother signed her on for nude photos and a movie part as a child prostitute, including nude scenes.  Brooke was sent out to defend these decisions, even though she was still a child.  It just made me sick because these were adult decisions, and adults should have been in the hot scene defending them.

Dance Moms has to be expensive to produce since the cast is huge, though.

Nope. If crazy stage parents like Jojo and Kira can get on that's enough for them. Exposure is what counts. Just look at the Jerry springer show. No pay just a bunch of freebies and exposure.

"Provocative" doesn't necessarily refer to sex; just anything that causes a strong reaction. She knew people would see hints of pedophilia in her video. Pesiphilia tends to be a topic that people feel strongly about.

Yes, I know what provocative means. I was more responding to your question of "why Sia would continue with her ~*artistic vision*~ when she herself acknowledged that it was provocative".  In a way I'd think all artists would want their song/video/whatever to be provocative in some way.  I think Sia saying she foresaw some "pedophilia" cries was based on the fact that it involved an adult male and female child acting and dancing together. However the video, based on her artistic vision, is not about pedophilia in any way.  

Anyway, overall I do find it a silly argument - because different people interpret things in different ways and, like I said, I respect the opinion of people who were bothered by the video.  I am just not one of them.  

Edited by sofiah
  • Love 1

Regarding the "apropriateness" of the video, if I'm following the main trend here, what about films like "The Exorcist" ? "The Omen" ? etc. ?

If Maddie and Shia were dancing in red or black leotards, for instance, would you still have the same point of view ?

Regarding the "apropriateness" of the video, if I'm following the main trend here, what about films like "The Exorcist" ? "The Omen" ? etc. ?

If Maddie and Shia were dancing in red or black leotards, for instance, would you still have the same point of view ?

That's a a really interesting question - because honestly - I think the nude leotards are what evoke such strong reactions, primarily.  (Not necessarily in this group - but I mean generally - across the internet.)

To me, as a dance mom, I even see them as underwear of sorts because the purpose of them in reality is to wear them under costumes that are too sheer, or don't fully cover, or modesty in general.  It's strange though - even though that's what I think of them, because they have been a staple in my household for at least 15 years along with nude shorts/panties and crop tops, I had no reaction to them/it (I'm the dance mom who had to go out and buy a freaking nude thong for my then 10 year old because it was the only thing that would work under one costume and I was very squicked about that!).  I didn't think anything about it in the Chandelier video at all, I thought it was appropriate to the story in the video (I thought exposed, vulnerable, losing it). What I reacted to in Elastic Heart, is more about Sia using Maddie as essentially an avatar on a continued basis, while Sia continues to try to hammer out her own emotional issues visually through her videos.  And Sia has very serious emotional baggage.

That's why, I'm concerned/curious what the third video in the trilogy will be.  While I didn't like it all - I was happy to see the vision/version of Elastic Heart on Ellen.  I think that everyone involved realizes that to continue to portray the video in other performances would be a really bad idea.

• Love 1

I seriously think they intended Cathy to be the 'villain' or counterpart from the beginning, but these women are too stupid to separate TV from real life, and grew to hate each other. Now Cathy just looks nuts, and yes, they come to dance for ALDC and CA just to be on TV.

I wasn't really bothered by the Sia video. I thought the concept was pretty self-explanatory given Sia's previous video which also used Maddie as sort of an avatar. And I say that as a mother myself - I really wasn't bothered by it!

This show, though, that's another topic. I AM bothered by it! It's so freaking dumb anymore. WHY AM I STILL WATCHING! I wish my DVR had a setting that kept me from being able to record things to hatewatch! Haha. 

The movie Clue is one of my top 10 movies of all time and so I was excited to see a Clue dance...and it sucked. Whomp whomp. 

I am not a Maddie fan, bc I loathe Melissa the Pimp, and hate the favoritism, plus Maddie is smug, BUT......the Sia dance in the 2nd video was weird and unsettling, but I absolutely did not see anything sexual or pedophilic about it. Maddie was more like a weird little schizo Gollum than anything sexual. I think people were looking for inappropriateness, and we usually find what we're looking for. 

No doubt, not her finest moment and I am a fan of hers.

Yeah, Kendall was my favorite, but seriously, I'm in PA and have relatives in Pittsburgh. I like the city, but it isn't on a higher rung than Nebraska. None of those girls seem to like Jojo very much, but I will give Maddie credit for recognizing Jojo as a talented dancer.

There was a comment that one of the moms would have her kid standing on the corner if it meant fame.  That's exactly how I see Melissa.  Who cares what damage is done to Maddie (or Mac) as long as they are famous.

Me, too! Melissa would pimp them out so fast our heads would spin, and then she'd bat her eyes and call us all perverts for calling her out for her own shennanigans.

I see that Maddie has added a third face to her repertoire - lopsided smirk.

This really bothers me.  Back in the day, Brooke Shields' (drunk) mother signed her on for nude photos and a movie part as a child prostitute, including nude scenes.  Brooke was sent out to defend these decisions, even though she was still a child.  It just made me sick because these were adult decisions, and adults should have been in the hot scene defending them.

Pained grimmace, lopsided smirk and jack o lantern grin.

The nude photos of Brooke as a what, 10 year old?, and her 12 year old character in Pretty Baby, and her virginity, were literally sold on a platter. That's disgusting, and overtly sexual on on purpose. I still don't know how those photos were published or that movie made. At least in Blue Lagoon, she looked like a teenager and not a child, and her boyfriend was also a teen, instead of grown men. Anyway...........though I wouldn't put it past Melissa, if Disney didn't work out, to put Maddie in some risque roles, the Sia video is not even on the same realm as Brooke Shields. Maybe Maddie's cuckoo character sort of climbing on Shia's cuckoo character made some people uncomfortable, but there was no nudity (she was covered and looked like a mannequin again) and no smooching, groping, vulgar moves, etc. They wear far sexier costumes and do more adult moves on Dance Moms than in the Sia video. Those moms just wanted to knock Maddie down a notch or two out of jealousy, so they tried to slut shame her as best as they could. 

• Love 2

Well in my experience as a dance mom nude Leo's are undergarments. I still wouldn't like the video. It's just isn't my cup of tea

• Love 2

A rather flat episode.

The duets were just okay, to say the least.

The team looked like they were dressed for a synchronized swimming event,..dull looking outfits.

Always a pleasure to see Cathy lose!

I love both of the Sia videos.

I for one LOVE the Elastic Heart video. I'm usually very sensitive to this kind of thing and even *I* find the "pedophilia!!" cries a complete overreaction, since there is nothing remotely sexual about the video or the way Shia LaBeouf interacts with Maddie. Even when he holds her for lifts, he is very careful with his hand placement so that nothing looks inappropriate. I find the video a beautiful and moving piece on self-destruction and how an artist's creativity and addiction can often be co-dependent forces.

(edited)

Cathy, Candy apples..

You just have to think of them as if they were 'guest stars' on a sitcom.. which, basically.. Cathy is.. and those mothers? They are like Background actors.. HOPING.. that they.. will be noticed, not unlike the actor who played URKEL was on Family Matters? and they are brought back as a 'regular'.. Because, that is what it is EXACTLY!! After all, All these girls, (and once in a while, boy..) CAN DANCE! It is the mothers that Lifetime is casting! (and I suspect, did when they filmed Abby's Ultimate.. -'Yes, the kid must be able to dance, BUT, the MOTHER-(or father)must be bizarre, nuts, crazy! If not, the kid is not on the show!! It is all about the ratings!!'  And once that parent was on that show (because, while YES, we saw the kid on that show, it was like at least 50/50 parent/kid, right? ), I believe LIFETIME culled AGAIN.. and took the even more craziest from there!

and.. if they are, then it is like winning the 'GOLDEN TICKET'.. At least for these parents who's reality is not firming on terra firma.

The girls do not compete in real competitions on this show. They are what you call 'Invitationals' -which are based out of real dance companies, but, your dance company has to be 'INVITED' to compete(-I suspect that Lifetime has a 'helping hand' in what schools get invited,) and let's face it, since D.M. started going to invitationals. (around 3rd season?) . They have rarely lost, so, I do not think the best schools out there get those invites, nor are a lot of schools invited! (Keep the number of competitors down helps your chances, right?).

I cannot say that these Invitationals are 'fixed'.. That the judges are in Lifetime's pocket... but, then again..

But, what I am saying that D.M. is not really about the girls competing but the mothers acting like toddlers. The girls, (mothers) , i.e. , the EXTRAS.. are flown in and out of either PITTSBURGH or OHIO for the week for the episode, put up in a hotel, hopefully get a tutor, rehearse, fly, get bussed to the 'competition', film, then go home..  The mothers hope that they stand out so they get a call back. Cathy's can be considered the Minors, Abby's the big league-for D.M. only!!  But, in a world where having sex and the video sells, and your whole family become famous (Kardashians)-what do you expect from some people? We are living with a lot of people who have no idea what it is like to have manners, class, etc.

Edited by luna70
  • Love 2