Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Connie

Connie comes to believe her secretive relationship with Hector will help her escape her mundane life. A visit to her father’s former lover prompts Connie to profess her love to Hector, and she must deal with the consequences.

I don't understand why these women are so protective of Rosie. Nothing they've shown has convinced me she's anything other than a delusional and overprotective parent.

So Connie has Daddy issues; how.........ordinary.

• Love 5

A visit to her father’s former lover prompts Connie to profess her love to Hector, and she must deal with the consequences.

That's not exactly how it happened -- the visit occurred well after Hector turned her down and after she went and got drunk at a party.

So Connie has Daddy issues; how.........ordinary.

No big surprise there.

But it was all so very boring with so much filler that had nothing to do with the case.  Again.

I couldn't believe that the judge didn't toss the case out for how stupid it is.  When the judge asked for the medical report about physical damage, Rosie says it's only been two weeks and they don't know that lasting effects on Hugo.  Huh ? That's not what the judge asked.  And how did this case get this far in court this fast ?

Rosie didn't foresee the possibility that Hugo might have to undergo a psych eval as part of the court case -- because Rosie can only see getting vengeance, and making someone else pay for her shitty parenting.

Did Nick have his camera on sport mode at the BBQ -- otherwise why would he be taking photos every other second ?

• Love 3

While the stuff with Connie's father in the end was very touching, it's really not that interesting IMHO.  It was too disconnected from the narrative and Connie isn't a strong character to begin with.  But I'm glad that Hector finally ended his flirtation with her so she could stop this delusional fantasy.

When Rosie asked Connie if she was a bad mother, I was thinking "Yeah...you are."  Gary's no prize, either.  I think his lack of interest in Hugo is just part of his bitterness and disillusionment about his life as a whole.  

I don't understand why these women are so protective of Rosie.

I'm hoping it's more of a concern for Hugo than Rosie.  And they're letting their own experiences cloud their judgment, which is what most people do.  Aisha was reminded of Sandi being hit by Harry, and doesn't want that to happen again.  I think Connie sees Hugo as a helpless child who's doesn't have a say in what's happening to him, like Connie's own experiences growing up.  They want to protect Hugo, and since Rosie is his mother, they automatically side with her.

I thought Ritchie was recording video at the party, not pictures.  Either way, wouldn't he have footage of Hugo swinging the bat around?

• Love 2

Rosie, Gary, and Hugo weren't insufferable assholes this episode.  Since each episode focuses on a different person, is it supposed to be from their perspective and have an unreliable narrator thing going on?  It seems like that's not the case since there are scenes that don't include the person of the week.  I'm so confused by anyone in the Hugo family seeming kind of tolerable.

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 1

Holy cats, that was irredeemably boring.  I could deal with the non-plot-relevance of Anouk and Manolis' episodes because they were at least well-acted little vignettes, but this was just... no.  I don't care.

• Love 5
Holy cats, that was irredeemably boring.  I could deal with the non-plot-relevance of Anouk and Manolis' episodes because they were at least well-acted little vignettes, but this was just... no.  I don't care.

You take out all the meaningless filler from these 8 episodes and this is essentially a 2 hour movie of the week.

• Love 5

This show is very odd. Would people really be that upset as to send written warning because of a bike? And Connie does not at all look like a high school student to me. On top of that, why does her mother let her get away with coming and going whenever she wants with no consequence? My kid is 17 and still has to come home when he says or contact me. And then there is the fact I don't care about Connie.

This case would be thrown out of court without some kind of medical evidence. No way would the court just wait to find out "future problems" without a medical report indicating those potential problems. How could you even prove that Hugo's future whatever was caused by the slap?

I like the actors in this show and I know it was a remake, but it is just the oddest idea for a TV show.

• Love 2

But it was all so very boring with so much filler that had nothing to do with the case.  Again.

I haven't been bothered by the lack of plot involving "the case of the slapped brat". Even with all the dramatic license in the world, it really isn't going to make for a tense, enthralling legal drama. Certainly not one that is worth more than one episode, let alone eight.

That said, I would have much preferred watching the lawyers researching precedents at the library than anything having to do with Connie.

I was flipping between this and American Crime, so I didn't catch all of it, and I am not sure if Hugo made an appearance. But his awfulness was on full display in his father's paintings during that scene at the gallery. I know nothing of art, but Gary certainly captured the essence of just how horrible a human being he and his idiot wife are raising in those portraits.

• Love 1

I thought Ritchie was recording video at the party, not pictures.  Either way, wouldn't he have footage of Hugo swinging the bat around?

I got the  impression, Richie did alter the video, It showed Hugo standing in front of Harry,then next frame Hugo's head is turned away, you didn't see actual hand on cheek moment. I didn't see the bat at all. Rosie said Hugo did not have the bat in his hand when Harry slapped him, since Connie didn't see  anything other than Hector's eyes,she can't be of any help to either party. A good attorney and Harry(?) has one. would  make Ritchie wish he hadn't videoed that scene at all, let alone alter it.I would expect to show the entire video which  includes Hector and Connie  canoodling.I also think Connie is going to somehow try and use the video, Richie's altered version to get some type of revenge on Hector.

Rosie took Hugo off to bed saying he had been up to late, yet he is sitting on Connie's lap laughing at the "horror" movie also he seem to be doing something with his mouth, not sure why or what...

This case would be thrown out of court without some kind of medical evidence.

The case would not have been filed without physical evidence. But since this is a show about The slap and  I guess the consequence, everything including the rush to judgment has been rushed.

I was pretty much onboard worth this show until last night. What a crapfest.

I just can't with Rosie. The suffering and self-righteousness and the all over the place accent. However, she has one thing going for her: she's not the worst person on this show.

Connie is the woooooooorst. I definitely think she had an ulterior motive in telling Rosie about the video (pictures?). Also, what the hell was she wearing to that opening? That coat was a very strange choice for a seventeen year old, but I guess it's New York and she's trying to bone a forty year old.

Did they ever say what her dad died from? What was with the ex saying he wasn't well and was moving to a better climate. Are we supposed to assume they both had AIDS.

And the most important question of all: Why do I care?

Well, that's it for me too.  How tone-deaf does a writer have to be to think that anyone would care about Connie?  She's not even interesting enough to dislike. 

The legal stuff is ridiculous, even by TV standards. 

• Love 2

That has to be the worst one yet, I have pretty much defended how this is going, but who gives a rat's ass about Connie and her father.  If it is supposed to give us insight into why she is in love with Hector, OK, but that has nothing to do with the slap.  I think that photog kid altered those pictures.  If they were genuine he would have come forward to Gary and Rosie right away.  Don't remember if Harry grabbed the bat and threw it to the side before giving Hugo what for.  I don't really think the bat not being in Hugo's hand makes much a difference to the case.  Easily explained away.  As always coming attractions look very interesting and then the show disappoints.

• Love 2

I didn't think I would- but I love this show.

First- I don't much like Connie but I feel kind of bad for her. I just don't know if she told Rosie about the pics to get back at Hector or to help Rosie. It probably was a little of both. At the end, I THINK & hope that Ritchie was deleting those pics. Hugo is a brat & deserved to be slapped. Just not that hard. Harry's a butt & deserves to get in trouble for it. Just not prison trouble. Hugo WAS swinging the bat around. When Harry approached him, he swung it at Harry & Harry grabbed it & threw it to the ground. Hugo kicked Harry, and Harry slapped him. That's what the pics showed- so I don't think Ritchie altered them at all.

I like the way they decided to show the slap- then the lives & opinions of all the people who were there when the slap happened. I didn't mind last nights episode- I just hope we don't get one about Ritchie. I think we found out he was gay in Connie's episode.

I'm excited to see who is next & how all this plays out.

• Love 3

I'm interested in this show more for the social comments form both the show and the board than the plot. But I had a really hard time with the scene with the judge. First off, Manhattan criminal court judges--at any level--don't have time to sit around on piddly cases with all the parties present and discuss. That's maybe how civil might work, but not criminal. Rosie and Gary wouldn't be there at all, and it's not up to them if the case goes forward. That seemed very civil law to me. Defendants also don't sit in on conferences--it's supposed to be a frank discussion, and there are things all the lawyers and judge can't say in front of defendant. Finally, there's no crime of mental assault in New York, and this idea of "lasting harm" is ridiculous. A, because I don't think he'd even remember it if his parents weren't constantly making such a huge deal out of it, and B, because that kid needs some actual discipline. This wasn't how I would have done it, and it certainly wasn't ideal, but it's probably the first time he's ever heard someone tell him no.

In other words, they got the seal for the United Court System right, and everything else about the legal aspects was completely ass backward. I'm trying to ignore that part for now. If it gets too much though, that's what might drive me away from the show. But there are only three episodes left, right?

• Love 1

Ailianna, I thought maybe that scene with the judge was like a pretrial mediation/settlement conference.  But if judges spend that much time on piddly cases, when would they have time to hear a real case?

• Love 1

Mediators are only for civil cases--lawsuits, not arrests. The whole thing seems to me like it was written by people with a vague notion of how a civil lawsuit works, but who hasn't even seen a single episode of Law & Order to base their ideas about how criminal court works (and L&O gets it wrong lots too--but at least people are talking about murder cases on that show, not what in NY would be a violation--not even technically criminal, and the police can't even arrest you for it unless you do it in front of them--the person who wants you arrested has to sign the information themselves--because it's not worth that much).

Rosie has completely blown this out of proportion, but TPTB seem to have blown the court case equally out of proportion.

• Love 1

But there are only three episodes left, right?

Either 2 or 3. My dvr said the Connie episode was #6 but IMDB (which is a mess for this show) says Connie's episode was #5.

Still hooked though have plans to watch the original once this is done airing. Connie's episode was yet again predictable with the daddy issues. I didn't understand half of what was going on with her mom, including dialog. I also think Richie is the gay best friend even though she attempted to seduce him while drunk.

It would be refreshing if Richie refused to sleep with Connie when she was drunk, rather than if he is revealed to be gay. Maybe he's just a stand-up straight dude.

Edited by CousinAmy
  • Love 2

It would be refreshing if Richie refused to sleep with Connie when she was drunk, rather than if he is revealed to be gay. Maybe he's just a stand-up straight dude.

It would, I've just thought he was the gay bff since the first episode of the series.

I couldn't believe that the judge didn't toss the case out for how stupid it is.  When the judge asked for the medical report about physical damage, Rosie says it's only been two weeks and they don't know that lasting effects on Hugo.  Huh ? That's not what the judge asked.  And how did this case get this far in court this fast ?

Rosie didn't foresee the possibility that Hugo might have to undergo a psych eval as part of the court case -- because Rosie can only see getting vengeance, and making someone else pay for her shitty parenting.

I'd like to think this is just poor writing and that something like this WOULD be thrown out.  Heaven help us if not.  To not even have a medical report is beyond ridiculous...a real lawyer would advise their client there is no case. To think this whole TV show is "based" on the real possibility that there IS a case is unbelievable.  Let's hope that Hugo does get a psych evaluation and that Rosie and her husband's parenting is exposed. 

I still hate Connie and think she is an entitled brat. Yeah, my father deserted me so I have an excuse to have an affair with a married father of two whose wife I pretend to love. 

Lousy episode. Easily the worst yet. The story is ridiculous.

I seriously thought Richie was retarded in the first episode.

So far everyone on the show is an asshole, except maybe the first male judge, who wasn't interested in bs.

No video of the BBQ because Hector offered Richie "a penny a pic(ture)." You'd have to be a real bonehead to blow your chances at $1.29 in pennies because you decided to take one lousy video instead.

The photos Richie was looking at were still on the memory card which was still in the camera, and I believe we know enough about Richie to know that he wouldn't have altered them. He may or may not be gay- but he didn't not-sleep-with Connie and make sure she got home safely because he's into her, he did it because he cares for her greatly and he's a good kid.

Most disturbing to me was his reaction to Connie after he turned Gary's invitation down for them:

R: That was me saving you from yourself.

C: Thanks, Richie, but I don't need saving.

R: Boy, what it must be like to be you.

C: What's that supposed to mean?

R: Nothing, my princess. You are loved by and forgiven for all.

Feels like something's up with that kid's home life. And it's not something good.

This episode was probably the worst of all so far.  The character was the least compelling.  And the premise is just so ridiculous.  "He's a child beater!"

I googled and the Connie storyline in the Australian version included much different content. 

Unless I misread or it is still coming up, in the other version, Hector rapes Connie. I'm really glad we didn't go there.

I googled and the Connie storyline in the Australian version included much different content. 

Unless I misread or it is still coming up, in the other version, Hector rapes Connie. I'm really glad we didn't go there.

It's been a while since I watched the original so my memory is fuzzy but if I recall correctly, Connie

claimed that she made up the rumor because she was upset at Hector.

I have a feeling the US version will be very different. The original didn't really dwell on the trial. It felt more like a character piece. So far, the story and tone have deviated quite a bit. Although, I would love to hear input from someone who read the book.

Although, I would love to hear input from someone who read the book.

I haven't read it, but one Amazon reviewer said that the legal aspects of the slap were resolved about halfway through the book.  The impression from reading the reviews is that the book's focus is on the effect of the slap -- how the differing reactions affected this family's relationships.

I agree that this episode was the weakest so far, mostly because there wasn't good acting to back it up. Both the actress who played Connie and her mother (not to mention Richie and the stepdad) were just below par. I couldn't bring myself to care. Only the scene with Patrick Breen (the dead dad's boyfriend) had any emotional impact and that's because he's a good actor. Eh. I did like that, in the end, I thought that Connie told Rosie about the pictures not out of revenge (as I feared) but out of kindness. She thinks Rosie is a good mother, her world revolves around Hugo, whereas Connie's own father just ditched her because she wasn't enough for him (or something). I thought it was interesting that her feelings for Hector made her tell Richie to delete the pictures, but ultimately it was her feelings for Rosie that made her change her mind. At least that much was done well in this episode.

Rosie, Gary, and Hugo weren't insufferable assholes this episode. Since each episode focuses on a different person, is it supposed to be from their perspective and have an unreliable narrator thing going on? It seems like that's not the case since there are scenes that don't include the person of the week. I'm so confused by anyone in the Hugo family seeming kind of tolerable.

I've been thinking about that as well, especially whenever Rosie appears almost likeable, like she did in this episode. I don't think it's an unreliable narrator either, for the reason you stated. I think it's just a matter of point of view. Connie has abandonment issues and really likes Rosie, so in her episode Rosie appears kinder, worried, and above all a concerned parent. In the Anouk episode, Anouk clearly loves Rosie but also realises she can be insufferable, so we see them clash but make up. It's an interesting way to tell a story and to have everyone appear multidimensional. Kind of. Again, this show is reliant on acting because the dialogue and even the plotting is not the best, but it remains strangely compelling to me.

Edited by Princess Lucky

A little late to the party (I saw this episode when it aired but it was a snooze).

You mean to tell me the chick who's trying to get with a dour 40-year-old has daddy issues? Noooo. Perish the thought. I'm as surprised at that as I am at McDonalds serving breakfast.

What was up with Rosie's hair at the arbitration thing? Did her attorney tell her they were meeting with the judge or going to milk some cows on a Danish farm.

The ironic thing about Rosie being so protective of Hugo is...he's probably gonna grow up to resent the shit out of her. The scene with her and Connie at the end was sad, because it's clear Rosie's more interested in being liked as a parent than being a good parent (because I think that means sometimes telling your kid evil shit like NO, STOP, DON'T DO THAT, and GO TO BED). Like I said a few weeks ago, I'm more concerned about Hugo, Rosie, and Gary not understanding what's going on than Harry not being punished.

Connie is a mess. I get the feeling her friend isn't actually attracted to her. She seems to have...issues. And she's kind of sullen and morose. Who wants to bang the drunk version of that? No one. But he seems a bit like a pushover. It was small but when she was talking to her dad's ex, she was like, "can you start loading up the car?" Bitch what? I ain't your man, boo. You better get this shit yourself.

I definitely thought it was a privacy thing.

I also did not "get" the duck on the hard hat. 

You just know that the snarling portrait of Hugo is going to make it into court -- "there's a reason why THIS is how his father sees him!"

• Love 1

The Australian series and novel doesn't go there, either, don't worry.

Hector rejects her and tells her he does not love her or want her; she then goes to a party where Richie can tell she's upset and won't leave her alone about it so she lies about Hector raping her. She appears to regret the lie immediately and asks Richie not to tell a soul. It's worth noting that in the Australian version, Richie is depicted as being bisexual/gay (the friendship with Connie is portrayed as purely platonic) and he shares Connie's attraction to Hector. In the end he tells Gary and Rosie that Connie was raped by Hector, they all go to tell Aisha at her place of work, where Connie is put on the spot and asked if it's true; she lies again and says Richie is making it up because he's sexually obsessed with Hector.

I haven't seen the episode yet; but I was curious to gage the response since the "Connie" episode in the original series was one of my favourites. I thought it was a fascinating character study of a confused and selfish teenage girl. The Connie in the Australian version is such a walking contradiction; she's a people pleaser who tells people what they want to hear and craves approval and love from the adults in her life, yet her hormones and teenage fantasies lead her to make choices she knows will hurt the people she loves most. It helped that Sophie Lowe brought such magnetism and vulnerability (and acting chops) to the role. Such a shame to see the US version really dropped the ball on this one.