Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

I find it hard to snark on Marjorie. Had high hopes for her, but she seemed too independent to allow herself to be subjugated by Boob or any of his male loin fruit.  Wouldn't doubt it if her father sat her down and told her...

"Josiah is a nice Christian boy, but if you marry into that family, you will be squashed and he will be powerless to defend you. Josiah may marry, but he'll never really ever leave home. For those reasons, I don't think you should marry him.  Were his father anyone but Jim Bob, I wouldn't have hesitated to give my blessing."

Josiah seems like a sweet kid, but he won't get to break free from Boob.  He'll no doubt earn himself another "vacation" to ALERT or other Gothardly punishment should he cross Boob by rebelling or calling him out for spoiling his courtship.

• Love 10
(edited)

#feedtherodriguii

#freethe rodriguii

Somebody should start a movement to bring awareness to the plight of the Rodriguii children. No snark intended. No doubt many of us on this forum would be happy to feed them a decent, nourishing meal.

Jill and David,

Nobody on this forum would judge you if you took your kids to a soup kitchen or food pantry if it meant they'd get a decent meal and fattened up so we can't see their bones sticking out. That's not grifting if you're really hungry. No shame. No judgment. No snark if you actually would do this. Please let them have a good meal.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 8

And we also wouldn't judge if you and/or your headship decided you could stand to miss a meal, or three, yourselves and put bigger servings on the kids' plates.

• Love 6
(edited)
33 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

And we also wouldn't judge if you and/or your headship decided you could stand to miss a meal, or three, yourselves and put bigger servings on the kids' plates.

The "math" doesn't work for that with that many kids. But, JRod and Chimpy don't look like they've missed too many meals...probably only an extra spoonful for each Rodriguii child.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Micks Picks said:

A devotional coloring book?  Not my cuppa.  No, Marjorie i'm not excited.

Coloring's a huge trend now, though. So if the trend holds through next spring, she may do very well with this. Not everybody likes it, but currently a lot of people do. And her lettering's pretty good. So it's likely to win her more opportunities down the line.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Coloring's a huge trend now, though. So if the trend holds through next spring, she may do very well with this. Not everybody likes it, but currently a lot of people do. And her lettering's pretty good. So it's likely to win her more opportunities down the line.

Adult coloring books are a big thing.

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

Or stop spending a fortune on makeup and hairspray and instead spend it on food for your children.

14 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

True. Right off the top of my head I can think of 3 people who would probably buy this if they're just "normal" bible versus and not totally out there going to hell kinda stuff.

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, NikSac said:

Or stop spending a fortune on makeup and hairspray and instead spend it on food for your children.

True. Right off the top of my head I can think of 3 people who would probably buy this if they're just "normal" bible versus and not totally out there going to hell kinda stuff.

She almost certainly won't do Ben-type stuff. Her things are very mainstream, sweet, positive. If Ben and Marjorie raced to see who could gain the most millennial "followers" through their words and work, Marjorie'd win it hands down going away. I expect she's not just expressing what she really likes either, but that she knows that what she likes is pretty salable, too.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, NikSac said:

Jill's makeup does not look like she spends a fortune on it...it's cheap, clownish, and garish.  The colors and coverage don't look like expensive department store cosmetics. Looks more like expired old Dollar store cosmetics.  Her skin looks terrible as well. Likely using dirty makeup brushes and old foundation/powder. Just get some Almay...it looks pretty good for the price..and is made for sensitive skin.

Same for the hair care products. You can get Mane and Tail shampoo for 2.99 for a good sized bottle when it's on special. Used to only be able to get it at feed stores, but most Walgreens carry it and you can also find it a Petsmart in the equine section. It was made for horses, but it's been used by chemo patients to promote hair regrowth. It's fabulous. People with thinning and damaged hair swear by it. She's not spending a lot of money on hair care, given that dead squirrel she calls her hair.

Lots of ways to look tastefully made up and well groomed for very little coin..just buy the right products for the right price...no doubt with 12 kids, money is tightm but cosmetics take a long tine to use up.  Looking like a truck stop hooker or aging drag queen seems to be counterintuitive to promoting a "ministry".  No self respecting drag queen would ever let herself look that bad...even the ones that do clown or gothic horror drag. Jill is not an unattractive lady by any means; she could look really lovely if she just applied her makeup more tastefully and gave her hair a break from torturing it with bleach, perms, teasing, and curling irons.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Jill's makeup does not look like she spends a fortune on it...it's cheap, clownish, and garish.  The colors and coverage don't look like expensive department store cosmetics. Looks more like expired old Dollar store cosmetics.  Her skin looks terrible as well. Likely using dirty makeup brushes and old foundation/powder. Just get some Almay...it looks pretty good for the price..and is made for sensitive skin.

Same for the hair care products. You can get Mane and Tail shampoo for 2.99 for a good sized bottle when it's on special. Used to only be able to get it at feed stores, but most Walgreens carry it and you can also find it a Petsmart in the equine section. It was made for horses, but it's been used by chemo patients to promote hair regrowth. It's fabulous. People with thinning and damaged hair swear by it. She's not spending a lot of money on hair care, given that dead squirrel she calls her hair.

Oh I fully agree. But you can also get FOOD for your hungry children at the Dollar Store. Is it the most appetizing?  Probably not, a lot of the time, but better $10 worth of food than $10 worth of clown makeup and hair products.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 5/21/2016 at 3:20 PM, Churchhoney said:

She almost certainly won't do Ben-type stuff. Her things are very mainstream, sweet, positive. If Ben and Marjorie raced to see who could gain the most millennial "followers" through their words and work, Marjorie'd win it hands down going away. I expect she's not just expressing what she really likes either, but that she knows that what she likes is pretty salable, too.

That's great! I wish her the best. For one she escaped Duggar-dom, and for two she's a female in that world who's trying to do something to make her own way. Those two things alone make me happy.

Edited by NikSac
Typo fix because along doesn't = alone
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, NikSac said:

True. Right off the top of my head I can think of 3 people who would probably buy this if they're just "normal" bible versus and not totally out there going to hell kinda stuff

10 minutes ago, NikSac said:

Oh I fully agree. But you can also get FOOD for your hungry children at the Dollar Store. Is it the most appetizing?  Probably not, a lot of the time, but better $10 worth of food than $10 worth of clown makeup and hair products.

Couldn't agree with your more. Since sacrificial love is a big tenet of Christianity, it stands to reason that the needs of children such as food, glasses, shoes that fit, clean underwear and socks should come before clown makeup for mom and junk food for Chimpy.

• Love 9
On 13 May 2016 at 3:21 AM, ingenting said:

TLC Australia are going to be airing Bringing Up Bates. Apparently they had a hole in their programming lineup that only 19 children could fill. 

The Bates really need Kelly to list off all the kids names in order during the shows intro, like Michelle used to. That's how I learnt the Duggar names. 

All I got now to remember with:

Zach Bates = Fat Bates

Erine Bates = McBleached Piano Pounder. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Couldn't agree with your more. Since sacrificial love is a big tenet of Christianity, it stands to reason that the needs of children such as food, glasses, shoes that fit, clean underwear and socks should come before clown makeup for mom and junk food for Chimpy.

Oh you are so confused. The children should fast and sacrifice gifts and fresh fruit so Jill can get higher end makeup and go on more dates with whatshisface. 

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, sometimesy said:

Oh you are so confused. The children should fast and sacrifice gifts and fresh fruit so Jill can get higher end makeup and go on more dates with whatshisface. 

How utterly foolish of me. I'll show myself out to the prayer closet. I've got a bottle of Riesling.  Who's "in"?

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, louannems said:

http://blog.titus2.com/2016/05/21/ruthannes-first-trip-to-the-er/

Sarah Maxwell praises good medical care.

Maybe this will inspire Sarah to become a doctor.  OK, well then, a nurse!

She's an adorable child. Glad she's ok. Poor Sarah is already nearly 35. She's Titus 2.0'ed herself out of an education. She'd probably be 45 before she'd have the proper education after all that home fooling. Her dad has an engineering degree, so since most engineers are passionate about education, I just don't get why he'd deprive his kids of one.  He'd never allow his kids to learn about science or anatomy or literature or political science...particularly not anatomy since that flies in the face of their cult of purity.

• Love 4
On May 21, 2016 at 7:02 PM, louannems said:

I watched a YouTube video of pastor Steven Anderson giving a sermon on corporol punishment. Beginning at 5-6 MONTHS of age, he believes in removing a baby's diaper to spank with a rod. He said the age to end spankings are when the child no longer lives under his roof, no matter how old!!! He stressed that he really did believe that. He also believes in beatings for non-violent criminals, rather than prison time.

This is my first viewing of this Independent Fundamentalists Baptist nutcase.

There are no words. How do these sick fucks manage not to have their children taken away? "Religious freedom"? This is beyond appalling. 

• Love 7

I'm sure this should worry me, but earlier this morning, whilst lazing in bed I was wondering about Michaella Bates. She's been married for quite some time now and to date, no sign of pregnancy, Plus the fact that she's forever travelling home or her family comes and sees her. How do they afford it? Are domestic flights that cheap?

I believe she has some issues, and wonder how she feels about not being prego - this is the one goal in life, it must be so hard when you fall outside the norm.

I'd still like to hear WHERE did the come up with such a notion that being a wife and mother is the one true calling. The Bible certainly doesn't say that anywhere. It doesn't advocate marriage at all, only coming in a very poor second to devoting your life entirely to God

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MunichNark said:

I'm sure this should worry me, but earlier this morning, whilst lazing in bed I was wondering about Michaella Bates. She's been married for quite some time now and to date, no sign of pregnancy, Plus the fact that she's forever travelling home or her family comes and sees her. How do they afford it? Are domestic flights that cheap?

I believe she has some issues, and wonder how she feels about not being prego - this is the one goal in life, it must be so hard when you fall outside the norm.

I'd still like to hear WHERE did the come up with such a notion that being a wife and mother is the one true calling. The Bible certainly doesn't say that anywhere. It doesn't advocate marriage at all, only coming in a very poor second to devoting your life entirely to God

I'm not a Bible reader, but they quote something about having their quiver full, which they interpret to mean as "having as many children as God sees fit". And since you can't even kiss before marriage, it'd be hard to work on filling that quiver without being married.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, louannems said:

Or she could sweep up around pharmaceutical-storage cabinets.

5 hours ago, MunichNark said:

The god of Gothardom ("biblical patriarchy," as they like to call it) is created in man's image -- man as defined by the control-freaky insecure "men" who embrace this belief system that is.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, louannems said:

Geesh, caught her finger in a door? Many stitches? Splint? Must have been a car door. Ouch.

Oh well, some cults just pray the pain away and the healing in. I guess in that respect she's a lucky little girl. Even though they are calling this her "first" trip to the ER. 

• Love 1

What will those families do when the parents have gone to their reward and they are left alone? A spinster shared house? Being shared out amongst any brothers?

I continue to wonder what the Duggars do all day, plus the Maxhells etc, lots of "adults" but no sensible occupation in sight.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MunichNark said:

What will those families do when the parents have gone to their reward and they are left alone? A spinster shared house? Being shared out amongst any brothers?

I continue to wonder what the Duggars do all day, plus the Maxhells etc, lots of "adults" but no sensible occupation in sight.

Well, the Maxwells spend a lot of time cleaning and cooking, I think.  The Duggars spend a lot of time sitting on couches and counters, looking at each other and hoping someone else walks through the door. Oh, and shopping at thrift stores (which allows for that all-important Starbucks run)

• Love 4

Regarding Michaela, Brandon had to practically be dragged down the aisle kicking and screaming, so I don't think his attraction for her is such that he wants to get busy 24/7. He seems like the type who's fine having sex once a week at a regularly appointed time. I'm not even remotely surprised there's been no pregnancy announcement.

• Love 1

I sometimes think that he and others are trying that soupcon too hard to be a good husband. Now in their circle, that IS a good thing, of course, since the alpha male tends to be a complete fuckwit, but it seems a bit fake at times. Like it's been well thought out, which takes away the sincerety a bit for me.

He doesn't seem so bad, I've watched a few of the trailer videos and they seem fine, but yes, she did stalk him for years before he was worn down.

It's just so sad that these girls may see themselves as failures if they don't produce enough babas.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFjyquApAl_/?taken-by=webster4ever

Alyssa Bates, you tramp! Shoulder length hair AND yoga pants?!!!! Ding, ding, ding. Shame! Shame! Shame!

Yoga pants are the new Fundy girl "out" from the floor length prairie skirt? They are infinitely more modest than a skirt (provided they aren't too tight and with no camel toe), and they promote freedom of movement without tripping over said skirt, which can be a safety hazard when pregnant or holding the baby.

She looks scarily like me before a workout. Of course, the hair goes back/up before I actually do anything strenuous, but still...

I am 30 years her senior, so I really CAN'T wear workout clothes much more revealing, but she can. Sadly, this outfit is probably deemed scandalous to her parents and Tori, who insisted on a fairly recent Bates episode that you can do ANYTHING in a dress, including play kickball/softball (can't remember which it was, only that it had bases and Tori was forced to slide at one point). 

It's sad that Alyssa will never be able to wear that when she visits home. Gil and Kelly claim that they will respect whatever their children decide in terms of religious beliefs, clothing choices, TV, music, etc., but when push comes to shove, the married ones still aren't even allowed to express those differences around their other family members. I do wonder if Alyssa wears pants when siblings come to visit HER. I seem to recall her wearing jeans when Carlin and Josie recently visited, but I could be wrong. 

But it's sad that Gil and Kelly think that they are losing control if Alyssa shows up on their turf wearing jeans. I know Alyssa says it's a respect thing, but if she's wearing jeans around her sisters in Florida, how is this not  also "corrupting" the unmarried teens still under the Gil's "umbrella of protection?" 

I'm on Team Alyssa here. Let your freak flag (such as it is) fly, girlfriend! 

• Love 6

Kelly has always said, once her kids are married and own their own, they make their own decisions. Do you all think she is okay with Alyssa's outfit?

Back in my day when leggings were popular, we wore longer shirts that covered both the front and the rear end. It seems the trend now a days is to wear leggings just like another pair of pants.

Alyssa looks adorable, BTW.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Kelly has always said, once her kids are married and own their own, they make their own decisions. Do you all think she is okay with Alyssa's outfit?

Just personal opinion, but no, I don't think Kelly's okay with it. Alyssa appears to have a somewhat frosty relationship with her parents and I think it's partly due to realizing how much normal stuff she missed out on thanks to Gothard. While she's still a Conservative Christian, she's leaps and bounds more normal than the rest of the clan. Whitney wasn't allowed to marry Zach until she "prayed on it" and switched from pants to skirts. Of course, the official story was that she chose to do so, but I don't buy that there wasn't any pressure to conform on behalf of Kelly and Gil. Because the Bateses are so much more likable than the Duggars it's easy to forget they're still drowning in Fundie KoolAid.

• Love 8

With Gil and Kelly, what happens if a female who wears pants visits their home for a party or something? Are they going to usher her outside and tell her to go home? Heck, even Sarah Pope wore jeans for a planned visit to the Duggars that was FILMED, and none of the Duggar girls' heads exploded. 

I just think that Kelly's rules for her own grown kids when visiting her house are a bit ridiculous when those same kids visit non-Gothard following Erin, or TV watching Zach all the time. 

I do agree that Whitney was totally pressured to go all-skirts by Kelly. I also think that Kelly and Gil had a HUGE influence on Whitney seemingly now shunning (and deleting posts about) her adoptive parents in favor of her birth parents. I'd love to know what really happened there. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Suze Keller posted a pic to her IG looking totally normal while waterskiing. Compare this to a Certain Person who demanded that her knees be blacked out of the frame because she thought that a 45 year old woman who'd had 19 kids was going to defraud someone.

Suze also posted a family pic that's been seen before, but I removed b/c her IG is in fact private. The first comment on the pic (by someone with a husband/wife account) remarked that they were surprised that Anna's brother who wrote the scathing FB posts about Smuggar could stand behind him without wanting to kick him in the face. Classic! 

Edited by Sew Sumi
Totally edited to respect Suze Keller's wishes to remain private. If Pickles posted these pics, shame on her!
6 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

What reason was TDFW referring to in that post? Inquiring minds want to know...

I don't know, of course, but maybe a relative's funeral? There's a heaping helping of black and near-enough-to-black-so-I-can-wear-it-to-this clothing in that picture.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

I think they may not link because her instagram is private.

This is now confirmed. I have removed all links to her account. It's tough for followers to know; if you are already in, it's not specified whether the person is private or not. I checked and couldn't find any such confirmation. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
We're not Pickles here!
  • Love 1
(edited)

Good for Alyssa Bates. She looks like any other happy, healthy young woman out there. And still perfectly modest, even with the yoga pants.

Edited by kalamac
Clarifying who I was talking about.
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

BFjyquApAl_

Suze's daughter is a dead ringer for Mack.

The Keller girls are really pretty. The Mr. and Mrs. must have been lookers when they were younger because I can't figure out where they get it from.

Once Ma Keller embraced frumpery...who knew? That's a puzzle to me as well...makes me wonder what Ma Keller would look like if she got defrumped. Would the headship allow it?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I don't know, of course, but maybe a relative's funeral? There's a heaping helping of black and near-enough-to-black-so-I-can-wear-it-to-this clothing in that picture.

Mike Keller's mother passed away. 

• Love 1

I've always wondered what made Whitney go skirts only. And I did notice the lack of her family in her photos. I even asked her once, but the post got deleted.

Given her difficult circumstances, I don't think it takes a scientist to figure her out - she badly wanted a family and went hook, line and sinker for the Bateses. They are large, they appear happy and loving, so she took a headdive and made them her own.

It troubles me that they are so legalistic, however, no matter what Alyssa's relationship with her parents is, they continue to visit her, they allow her sisters to go there, so they can't be too worried about bad influences.

It'd be interesting to see how the other girls will fare - I've thought for a while now that Josie will be a bit of a handful and likely to go less fundy. Carlin and Tori, I'm not sure. Tori is loud and outgoing, but I can't see her changing her outside much. Carlin, maybe.

One of the wee ones, Callie? is totally adorable though.

• Love 1
On 5/21/2016 at 2:06 PM, Muffyn said:

And it's not just pray harder.  As we've seen with skeletal Timothy, it's pray harder and fast.  Because dying from starvation for Jesus is godly. 

Which reminds me of an article I read about some of the old mystics who "fasted" rather starved themselves almost to death to see visions. Not saying he's doing this, but just the quote reminded me of it.

10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

This is now confirmed. I have removed all links to her account. It's tough for followers to know; if you are already in, it's not specified whether the person is private or not. I checked and couldn't find any such confirmation. 

Thanks Sew.

To be official about it: our general policy is that users should not re-post images from private social media accounts here. I know it's hard to tell whether someone's account is private if you follow them - the best thing to do is log out of that social media site (or just open a private window) and then try to access the link, to check.  This isn't something the mods will do on all images - we ask that you guys police yourselves on this, as was awesomely done here.  Thanks for respecting the privacy of these Duggar-related folks!

• Love 4