Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, satrunrose said:

It totally is. I can understand where the Rod kids get it. They've probably never even met an openly gay person. Heck, they've never met a trusted person who told them that they can have different beliefs from their parents. I don't get the Bris of the world though. How can you be out in the world, have parents and siblings who don't believe your homophobic nonsense, meet enough people to observe that the fundie fear-mongering doesn't match reality and still swallow it hook, line and sinker?

Such a great question!

I suppose it could be a number of things. Friends, other family, the internet, books - including the Bible, a chance meeting with a Jill type person, etc.

More than likely she was looking for a faith-based place to belong and she was subtly and then not so subtly sucked into it all.

Cults are like gangs, you find what you think is your tribe then you're in too deep before you see the entire picture. Then you think and do things you likely never would have done without group think.

Even on a lesser basis. How many kids do you know that have egged or TPed a house alone? Or tried alcohol or weed alone?

• Like 12
2 hours ago, satrunrose said:

How can you be out in the world, have parents and siblings who don't believe your homophobic nonsense, meet enough people to observe that the fundie fear-mongering doesn't match reality and still swallow it hook, line and sinker?

My uninformed guess is that works much like the 70s cults of befriending lonely college students.  They offer friendship, sort of a family, and say they have the answers to life.

• Like 20
2 hours ago, satrunrose said:

It totally is. I can understand where the Rod kids get it. They've probably never even met an openly gay person. Heck, they've never met a trusted person who told them that they can have different beliefs from their parents. I don't get the Bris of the world though. How can you be out in the world, have parents and siblings who don't believe your homophobic nonsense, meet enough people to observe that the fundie fear-mongering doesn't match reality and still swallow it hook, line and sinker?

The same way people raised by loving parents end up in cults, becoming alcoholics, drug addicts, criminals, abandoning their kids, whatever.  it’s inexplicable and yet it happens everyday.  

• Like 13

It's like these easily-converted cult members lose their critical thinking ability, assuming they had it to begin with.  It's pretty clear that the Rods don't teach their kids to think individually, at all.  Pretty damned sad, and scary, at the same time.  😡

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
56 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Such a great question!

I suppose it could be a number of things. Friends, other family, the internet, books - including the Bible, a chance meeting with a Jill type person, etc.

More than likely she was looking for a faith-based place to belong and she was subtly and then not so subtly sucked into it all.

Cults are like gangs, you find what you think is your tribe then you're in too deep before you see the entire picture. Then you think and do things you likely never would have done without group think.

Even on a lesser basis. How many kids do you know that have egged or TPed a house alone? Or tried alcohol or weed alone?

The Bible doesn’t even mention LGBT people, much less state that they are all pedophiles.

13 minutes ago, precious pupp said:

It's like these easily-converted cult members lose their critical thinking ability, assuming they had it to begin with.  It's pretty clear that the Rods don't teach their kids to think individually, at all.  Pretty damned sad, and scary, at the same time.  😡

Yep. There’s simple Samuel, calling Brianne “the most beautiful, the most perfect.” 🤦‍♀️ the most PERFECT?

• Like 3
  • Sad 4
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm quite a bit older than Bri and I know exactly one person that crossed my path who turned out to be a pedophile. He was a director of an overnight camp. He was a straight married man with kids.

I don't know the numbers but I'm going to guess the majority of child molesters are straight and very few are LGBTQ+.

Bri is spouting one example of the fear based twisted shit Fundies are taught. It really is disgusting.

I have known one pedophile. He was a teacher and was married with several children of his own.  Years ago the assistant pastor at my church was found to have been exposing himself to female adults during counseling sessions.  This was a main stream liturgical church.  He was given 5 months insurance, fired and defrocked.  So two out of the tens of thousands of people I have met in my life. Unless a person is actually hurting another person in some way, you live your best life and let others live theirs.  You are not the ultimate judge.

• Like 10

How do people fall for it?   It's grievance living.   The world is a terrible place, some group must be at fault.   Some "out" group.   There are plenty of non-fundies screaming the same thing Bri screamed at her dad.  

One extremely well known author of a hit series/movie franchise has finally left twitter because she got sued under the UK's must easier defamation laws for her hateful comments.   

It is more probable that Bri went looking for a group that supported her hateful beliefs than she found the group and developed them.

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, crazy8s said:

I watched it twice. I wonder if her knowing 15 gay pedophiles is equal to Jill's "man in the ladies room" episode.

Like she has seen 15 people she decided by their looks they were gay and therefore pedophiles.

Like the "man in the ladies room" washing their hands was such a threat to Jill she couldn't wash her hands and needed to make a big deal about with both IHOP and then spotting a police car and flagging it down to tell an officer about the danger.

Does anyone know 15 pedophiles of any kind?  I sure don't.  I may be acquainted with 15 pedophiles, but, if so, none of them told me about their pedophilia when I asked about their lives over cocktails.  How did someone as uptight as Bri find that many pedophiles who openly discuss their crimes? Guys like Josh Duggar know that many pedophiles, but we travel in different circles.  It seems as though Bri thinks that commandment about bearing false witness is optional.

I've only encountered a couple of people who turned out to be pedophiles.  Many years ago, one worked for my dad; in his 20's, nice guy, met him at several worked related social events for my dad's business (company picnics, trips to local entertainment venues) and my father really thought he was a nice young guy and a good worker.  Then the police arrived at my father's business and walked him out in handcuffs after a young kid told his parents what Dave had done to him in Dave's parents' garage.  Dave presented as straight, BTW.  His mother called my father asking for help with his legal expenses.  My father expressed his concern over the situation and then told Dave's mom that, as far as he was concerned, the best option for Dave was to be locked away from any and all children for as long as possible; so he wouldn't be writing a check.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 20
  • Mind Blown 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, AstridM said:

The Bible doesn’t even mention LGBT people, much less state that they are all pedophiles.

Yep. There’s simple Samuel, calling Brianne “the most beautiful, the most perfect.” 🤦‍♀️ the most PERFECT?

Bri got her talking points from the Steven Anderson group of NIFB churches. They're big on stoning the sodomites. I'm sure that pedophilia is also highly featured in their sermons. Hopefully, now that she's changed churches (Anderson defrocked her pastor a couple years ago), Nathan sticks to the Bible and doesn't go on sodomite rants. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Sad 4
  • Useful 1

So do I. She had plenty of time to fix Kaylee's headpiece and she chose not too. She made sure to get pictures of it messed up. Anyone else would have fixed it. Not Jill.

That is the really sad part, so many people could have fixed Kaylee's head piece and not one person could be kind enough to do it.

Nuri, Renee, Jill, the photographer, Jonathan's mother, any of the bridesmaids, not one person stepped up to make sure Kaylee looked her best.

• Like 2
  • Sad 19
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Bri got her talking points from the Steven Anderson group of NIFB churches. They're big on stoning the sodomites. I'm sure that pedophilia is also highly featured in their sermons. Hopefully, now that she's changed churches (Anderson defrocked her pastor a couple years ago), Nathan sticks to the Bible and doesn't go on sodomite rants. 

This doesn’t mean her views have changed at all, imo.

• Like 4
  • Sad 4
1 minute ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Agreed. I am just talking about where those views originated. 

I doubt they originated there; Bri was looking for like-minded people and she found them at NIFB.  Unless and until she completely denounces her prior statements and apologizes for them; I think we've got to assume she still holds them.  Even if she's changed churches, it doesn't mean she's changed her mind; a lot of extremely conservative denominations tolerate those who believe as Bri does even if the church doesn't specifically endorse the same viewpoint.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
30 minutes ago, Notabug said:

I doubt they originated there; Bri was looking for like-minded people and she found them at NIFB.  Unless and until she completely denounces her prior statements and apologizes for them; I think we've got to assume she still holds them.  Even if she's changed churches, it doesn't mean she's changed her mind; a lot of extremely conservative denominations tolerate those who believe as Bri does even if the church doesn't specifically endorse the same viewpoint.

Absolutely!

• Like 3

Maybe Bri wandered into a gay bar, saw more than 15 gay people, and proclaimed them all pedophiles.

Pedophiles don’t come up in daily life very often, at least not publicly so you can proclaim them so. I’ve only casually known one. He owned a local antique store that I frequented quite often. Well, long story short, my husband caught him in a sting. My husband was federal law enforcement, and this guy was communicating with underage boys across state lines and planning to meet. if he hadn’t done that, I wouldn’t have known at all.

• Like 13

I guess this video stuff does clear up one big mystery; why 26-year-old Bri is giving someone who brings as little to the table as Sam Rod the time of day. I figured it shouldn't have been too hard for her to find a conservative Christian guy in Florida, but if she's going on screaming rants, she probably is a little much for anyone who isn't Fundy with a capital F. 

It's funny a few days ago I felt sorry for her (as I do for most of these young adults), now I'm preparing the popcorn for the inevitable blow up when she calls Jill on her mahdesty.

• Like 15
  • LOL 6
14 hours ago, Absolom said:

That might be why they are hyper aware of them.

And anxious to deflect attention away from their own sins by hysterically pointing their fingers at "others". 

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I wonder what will happen if Bri unloads her Fundy faultfinding flack on Jill prior to the wedding.

God Jill will lay it on his heart that this is not the right person for him.   She wants a good fundy bride, but not one who will challenge her.   Someone obedient who will live close to the barndo so she can do all the work Jill won't do.  

• Like 14
14 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

God Jill will lay it on his heart that this is not the right person for him.   She wants a good fundy bride, but not one who will challenge her.   Someone obedient who will live close to the barndo so she can do all the work Jill won't do.  

And then he will be content in his season of life, living at the barndo, giving mama his wages, waving to mama's phone and singing in the choir at mama's church.

Meanwhile mama will supposedly be on her knees praying, but really just running the list through her mind of every girl with the correct beliefs until she finds the one she wants for her Sammer man.

I think jill believes she has found that in this woman.

• Like 9
  • Sad 2

I concur with everyone else,  Bri is a zealot who will be out-fundying Jill in no time.  Jill has a lot to call out and given that Bri was not shy about screaming at her own father, she won't hold back on Jill.  I have experience with a former co-irker who was a fundie who acted just like this.  In the end, she went after our boss who happened to be Jewish and got removed from the project she was working on.

As for Bri knowing 15 gay people, let alone knowing for certain that they were all pedophiles, I'm not buying that.  I could see her assuming someone was gay based on stereotypes but not recognizing other people who were actually gay in her midst.  And my questions to her would have been, if you were sure someone was a pedophile, why didn't you report them?  I actually knew a guy at work who definitely was and the only reason I didn't report him was because one of the parents of a boy on the soccer team he coached had already done so and he was complaining that the cops had come to the motel room where he had taken the boy.  I guarantee you Bri knows pedophiles in her church, but hasn't identified them because they are the straight family men.

I want to go back to Jill's Hallmark movie rant for a minute because there's a lot about it that doesn't make sense. I have never heard of a divorce in a Hallmark movie.  In fact, I would think Jill would love them because they are conservative propaganda.  Women can't be fulfilled with anything other than marrying some small town guy who is the local possum vet and having a bunch of kids with him.  She seemed to have a big issue with women breaking up with one guy to marry this ideal guy instead of sticking with the first guy they ever met.  How does she square that with Renee supposedly breaking up with MM because he didn't meet her standards?  Shouldn't she have stuck with him since God supposedly picked him out?  Why wasn't the devil blamed for telling Renee that the grass was greener somewhere else?

• Like 6
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1

Maybe Jill's social media presence was a draw for Brianne, who figured she would have a ready-made platform to share her hateful views and support from her mother-in-law to do it. 

Jill and Brianne will likely come to blows, however, since they both seem to be strong willed and attention seeking. Sam is just a piece of home decor in this scenario. 

• Like 17
  • Useful 1
7 minutes ago, Meow Mix said:

I concur with everyone else,  Bri is a zealot who will be out-fundying Jill in no time.  Jill has a lot to call out and given that Bri was not shy about screaming at her own father, she won't hold back on Jill.  I have experience with a former co-irker who was a fundie who acted just like this.  In the end, she went after our boss who happened to be Jewish and got removed from the project she was working on.

As for Bri knowing 15 gay people, let alone knowing for certain that they were all pedophiles, I'm not buying that.  I could see her assuming someone was gay based on stereotypes but not recognizing other people who were actually gay in her midst.  And my questions to her would have been, if you were sure someone was a pedophile, why didn't you report them?  I actually knew a guy at work who definitely was and the only reason I didn't report him was because one of the parents of a boy on the soccer team he coached had already done so and he was complaining that the cops had come to the motel room where he had taken the boy.  I guarantee you Bri knows pedophiles in her church, but hasn't identified them because they are the straight family men.

I want to go back to Jill's Hallmark movie rant for a minute because there's a lot about it that doesn't make sense. I have never heard of a divorce in a Hallmark movie.  In fact, I would think Jill would love them because they are conservative propaganda.  Women can't be fulfilled with anything other than marrying some small town guy who is the local possum vet and having a bunch of kids with him.  She seemed to have a big issue with women breaking up with one guy to marry this ideal guy instead of sticking with the first guy they ever met.  How does she square that with Renee supposedly breaking up with MM because he didn't meet her standards?  Shouldn't she have stuck with him since God supposedly picked him out?  Why wasn't the devil blamed for telling Renee that the grass was greener somewhere else?

The only divorced people in Hallmark movies are ones who divorced years and years ago after being abandoned with an infant.  Usually, it is a plucky woman whose dirty rotten husband flew the coop and she's been virtuously raising their child while refraining from dating and relationships. The ex has had nothing to do with his child, either. Of course, she had to move to the big city and take a big time corporate job to do it.  Then she and the kid end up returning to her hometown for Christmas where she is surrounded by extended family and old friends who participate in snowman-building contests, tree lightings on town square and Christmas caroling.  She ends up helping her mother in the family business, baking the best cookies anyone has ever tasted and, even though she never wanted to live in that town or work in that business; she suddenly realizes that the big city corporate life is not for her and she and her new love, a guy who runs a Christmas tree farm are together forever in podunk.

You'd think Jill would at least gush a little about the small town, extended family and family owned businesses that are featured in almost every film Hallmark does.  That stuff seems right up her alley.

• LOL 22

The big question is... why does Jill care about divorces and break-ups on TV or in real life? She can not watch the movie and she can mind her own business.

Also, Amy, Nuri and Renee have broken relationships, so Jill should just shut up.

• Like 8
  • Applause 5
19 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The big question is... why does Jill care about divorces and break-ups on TV or in real life? She can not watch the movie and she can mind her own business.

Also, Amy, Nuri and Renee have broken relationships, so Jill should just shut up.

And Amy's was an engagement. Horrors! 

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
53 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Honestly, I think that applies to almost anything the fundies loudly object to. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 8
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

And both Nurie and Renee’s breakups were Jill’s fault so…

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
On 9/3/2024 at 10:19 PM, CalicoKitty said:

Luckily Jill will not have any input on her son's bride's dress choices.  That doesn't mean she might not offer her services to do their hair, however.  She went to beauty school, you know.  Advice to the soon-to-be daughters-in-laws:  DO NOT LET JILL HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOUR HAIR OR MAKEUP!!  (See Kaylee's wedding pictures as an example).

🎶beauty school drop out 🎶

• Like 3
  • LOL 8
2 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

And both Nurie and Renee’s breakups were Jill’s fault so…

2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Amy's probably was too. 😂

Oh, could be. I can certainly see Jealous Jill getting involved. 

Jill interfered with Tim's friendship with a young woman he met at work in Wisconsin. One day he's smiling in a photo with a female friend at a work party; not long after, he's back in the barndo under Mahmo's control. 

• Like 10
14 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

Oh, could be. I can certainly see Jealous Jill getting involved. 

Jill interfered with Tim's friendship with a young woman he met at work in Wisconsin. One day he's smiling in a photo with a female friend at a work party; not long after, he's back in the barndo under Mahmo's control. 

But not allowed to live in the barndo and sharing a room with his brothers. He had to have a trailer in the driveway.

Jill's wording of "Timothy lives near us, but not with us, he usually eats dinner with us every night" was certainly deceptive.

• Like 10
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Honestly, I am often bewildered as to why so many people, both online and IRL, care about these things. Who gives a fuck about anyone else, especially strangers, who may be breaking up or divorcing? Those aren’t necessarily negative things, imo. 

1 hour ago, crazy8s said:

But not allowed to live in the barndo and sharing a room with his brothers. He had to have a trailer in the driveway.

Jill's wording of "Timothy lives near us, but not with us, he usually eats dinner with us every night" was certainly deceptive.

He got lucky, in my view. I would much rather live in a tent outside than in a crowded, loud home.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Jill and Brianne will likely come to blows, however, since they both seem to be strong willed and attention seeking. Sam is just a piece of home decor in this scenario. 

I can envision several scenarios where Jill and Bri circle each other like cats, fur up and claws out, debating who is the bestest Fundy, with Sammers stuck in the middle.  I just wonder if Jill will realize that she's met her match in Bri before or after the wedding.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Like 2
  • LOL 15
3 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I can envision several scenarios where Jill and Bri circle each other like cats, fur up and claws out, debating who is the bestest Fundy, with Sammers stuck in the middle.  I just wonder if Jill will realize that she's met her match in Bri before or after the wedding.

I think Bri will be agreeable until after the wedding. She wants this marriage too much to do anything before. 

• Like 14
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I think Bri will be agreeable until after the wedding. She wants this marriage too much to do anything before. 

Agreed.  She wants this.  In addition, she and Jill are both in their best behavior in small doses. It will be after the wedding when they spend more time together that she will feel the need to say something.  She’s not necessarily going to like her home being decorated  by Jill and the Jill-ettes.  She also may not believe that Jill gets to order Samuel around once he becomes a husband. 

• Like 12
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

Hopefully that will all be caught on video! It might be the one fundie video I’ll ever consider watching, lol. 

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

A truly terrifying and bewildering thought. 😳

• Like 17

To think that Bri stalked and sought out Jill and the Rods rather than the other way around is chilling enough to be the plot for a Stephen King novel.  Jill might want to sleep with one eye open.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 18
3 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

To think that Bri stalked and sought out Jill and the Rods rather than the other way around is chilling enough to be the plot for a Stephen King novel.  Jill might want to sleep with one eye open.

IKR? It really, really is!

• Like 7
On 9/7/2024 at 2:02 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

Bri seems all in now on the teaching of Reg Kelly. He's in Missouri.

Brianne, Samuel and Renee went to the spring retreat for young people at his church. The church has a fall retreat coming up this month, guest speaker "a retired missionary that served in Papua for 40yrs among the cannibals and headhunters". There is also a retreat for single ladies age 16+ in Nov.  Brianne has posted both events on her fb. I wonder if she, and any of the rods, will attend.

If you want to see his vile teachings - Reg Kelly - Table in the Wilderness. In the past he has posted long rants on sodomites.

I don't believe she has changed her beliefs at all.

• Sad 7
  • Angry 2
1 minute ago, crazy8s said:

Bri seems all in now on the teaching of Reg Kelly. He's in Missouri.

Brianne, Samuel and Renee went to the spring retreat for young people at his church. The church has a fall retreat coming up this month, guest speaker "a retired missionary that served in Papua for 40yrs among the cannibals and headhunters". There is also a retreat for single ladies age 16+ in Nov.  Brianne has posted both events on her fb. I wonder if she, and any of the rods, will attend.

If you want to see his vile teachings - Reg Kelly - Table in the Wilderness. In the past he has posted long rants on sodomites.

I don't believe she has changed her beliefs at all.

Why doesn’t she just move to Missouri then ?

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

"a retired missionary that served in Papua for 40yrs among the cannibals and headhunters".

Was this written in the 1930s?    How racist can they get?   Don't answer that.

• Like 18
  • LOL 1

Does the Fundy bible contain the passage, "Love your neighbor as yourself...if they're exactly like you.  If they're not, feel free to wage war"?  I struggle with people who identify as "Christian" but seem to love attacking people that stray from what they believe is a "true" Christian.  They can't have it both ways.

• Like 11
  • Applause 10
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Was this written in the 1930s?    How racist can they get?   Don't answer that.

That and the odd insistence on young “ladies” instead of “young women.” WHY??

• Like 3

A 'retreat for single ladies age 16+'? So, any 16 year-old who is unattached is considered a loser? 'Old maid' for this strain of fundies starts at 16?

Gotta get 'em married and knocked up ASAP, that's what god wants for the ladies. Well, that's what they say their version of god wants, anyway. YMMV on what god actually wants...

• Sad 6
1 hour ago, AstridM said:

That and the odd insistence on young “ladies” instead of “young women.” WHY??

They will also be served "Yummy food and coffee" 😂

This how Brianne posted it with some of the words cut off.

$200 per lady, so I doubt Renee and Tessie will be going. Surely Brianne being in a courtship would no longer consider herself a single lady.

Screenshot (708).png

• LOL 6