Type keyword(s) to search

More Dramatic Than the Show: Behind the Scenes

(edited)

And seriously, how could anyone not care?  I'd watch a 2 hour Dateline about the different theories.

Somebody somewhere said that this should be the topic of the next season of Serial.  I. Am. Down.  Barring that I'll take a Serial style spoof that lays out all of the facts and speculation a la Sarah Koenig. I am going on record as willing to contribute to a crowdfund to make that happen. 

The more I dig into this the more I'm pissed off as a queer woman of color for whom visibility matters and as someone who has experienced workplace bullying.  I really do want to publicly shame the people responsible for this debacle.  This thread is bringing out the worst parts of my nature...and the worst parts of my nature are are giggling with spiteful glee.

Deep diving to the first page of this thread, Kromm challenged someone to track down evidence of when the two actresses stopped being seen together. Allow me to submit into evidence this image from October 26, 2013.  Where does this fall in the timeline of the falling out?  I think it might be  around about the last time they breathed the same air at the same time.  Anyone got anything more recent?

Julianna+Margulies+Archie+Panjabi+Cast+G

Edited by ACS
  • Love 3

No, that's the last time they were recorded in the same spot -- it was shortly after the 100th episode was shot. If you look at other shots of the event, Archie and JM are *only* in the group shot together. There are no shots of JM "working" alongside Archie, like she is with other cast-mates. The only other shots of AP are her and Matt fielding questions outside.

And seriously, how could anyone not care?  I'd watch a 2 hour Dateline about the different theories.

At this point I wouldn't watch a 2-hour episode of the actual show but would totally watch a 2-hour Dateline special about the JM/AP drama.

• Love 6

You gotta love Ausiello's moral grandstanding about not caring about what happned between two actresses while glibly referring to David Caruso being a bitch. Got it babe.

I am happy EW and TV Line have confirmed the fuckery.

• Love 5

Read Michael Ausiello article on the whole thing and I'm kind of annoyed with his attitude of "I don't know what happened with the actresses nor do I care"

Isn't that part of his job?   To question what the heck happen and why the producers are feeding us BS

I believe he's a TV critic, not a gossip monger. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I believe he's a TV critic, not a gossip monger. 

Don't get me wrong, I love Michael Ausiello and TVLine, but I'd also say that his blind items show he has a taste for gossip.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 5

No, that's the last time they were recorded in the same spot -- it was shortly after the 100th episode was shot. If you look at other shots of the event, Archie and JM are *only* in the group shot together. There are no shots of JM "working" alongside Archie, like she is with other cast-mates. The only other shots of AP are her and Matt fielding questions outside.

I suspect that the only reason they were together at ALL in that appearance was that as you say, they could be kept safely apart most of the time.

The telling stuff are the things like the panel discussions and interview tours, where they'd have to be in close proximity just to be part of them at all.  Them not being together at those probably goes back further than late 2013.

• Love 2
(edited)

Gee I am so bloody intrigued !
WHAT started all this?
I cannot   accept it was just some Diva behavior from JM's part.
She could simply make AP's life miserable on the set (like Kate Mulgrew did to poor Jeri Ryan on the set of ST Voyager).

Something really nasty must had happened between those two. 
Or maybe the feud is between JM and the Kings.

WE NEED TO KNOW, dammit!! :D

Edited by Zaffy
  • Love 2

At least it's out there that the scene was spliced like it looked. I give Ausiello credit for admitting he was wrong and the fans right when he had to take back his tweets like "worth the wait."

Which it wasn't,  especially without their sources confirming you could easily tell there was something not normal with that scene. It shouldn't have taken tv critics to hear from sources that scene was not 2 people sharing a normal scene. They should have known and seen it before the fans.

• Love 1
(edited)

Gee I am so bloody intrigued !WHAT started all this?

I cannot accept it was just some Diva behavior from JM's part.

She could simply make AP's life miserable on the set (like Kate Mulgrew did to poor Jeri Ryan on the set of ST Voyager).

Something really nasty must had happened between those two.

Or maybe the feud is between JM and the Kings.

WE NEED TO KNOW, dammit!! :D

I actually find it hard to believe jealousy was the only cause of the ban, although I can imagine increasingly strained relations leading up to the point when JM banned Archie. I still think it was a disagreement over plot -- the only point of the Nick storyline (besides proving Robert King has a lurid streak a mile wide) was to make it maintext that Kalinda was in love with Alicia. We had all those hints about Nick looking for who kept Kalinda in Chicago, then...*crickets chirping*

Remember that TPTB terminated the Nick arc early, so Kalinda should have spent the night in Alicia's hotel room while he was in the picture. Cue dramatic confrontation with Alicia after Nick finds out where Kalinda was that night:

Nick: (drinking water threateningly in front of Alicia) You're sleeping with my wife!

Kalinda: Nick, no...now just calm down...

<insert melodramatic arc conclusion here>

I think JM vetoed the ending. I think Archie was understandably upset that after taking all the heat she did for the worst storyline ever, it tailed to a pitiful conclusion, and frosty relations became arctic. And then JM got her permanently sidelined.

Just remember, Archie was prepared to suck it up and keep working with JM though.

Edited by Sydneyside
  • Love 4

But still to have it get to the point that they couldn't even attend holiday parties at the same time?   That they have to "kept safely apart?"   Really, you can't even breathe the same air?    Objectioning to a storyline and using your clout to kill it is one thing.   Wanting reduced screen time to keep from being overshadowed is another thing.   But refusing to even be around the other person at promotional events is a whole other league.    What could have pushed it to that point or even been allowed to develop that it got to that point?

• Love 4

What's amazing to me is just how tightly wrapped they're managing to keep the real story.  I've contacted the couple of critics that I have enough of a relationship with to get some sort of response, and from those it's clear that they've tried to suss out the story and come up dry.  It's amazing that nobody's talked yet.

Here's a great post that breaks down in technical detail  how the A/K scene was probably edited. I found it fascinating.  At the very least, at least I've learned something from this whole sordid mess!

• Love 3
(edited)

I actually find it hard to believe jealousy was the only cause of the ban, although I can imagine increasingly strained relations leading up to the point when JM banned Archie. I still think it was a disagreement over plot -- the only point of the Nick storyline (besides proving Robert King has a lurid streak a mile wide) was to make it maintext that Kalinda was in love with Alicia. We had all those hints about Nick looking for who kept Kalinda in Chicago, then...*crickets chirping*

I'm not challenging you...more like thinking out loud.  This doesn't explain why Julianna would be so pissed at Archie as to freeze her out of practically the entire show. The plot is controlled by the Kings.  Julianna, of all people, knows that.  So sure, I can see her putting the kibosh on the plot and being angry with Robert and Michelle. I can even see Archie being upset over losing the storyline, but nothing else of any great significance was written for Kalinda until Archie's exit, and the two of them barely ever shared another scene together.  With the plot ended, I doubt the audience would have thought that Alicia and Kalinda just being in a room together talking about any case would have meant they were romantically involved.  If that were true, that would mean that any character who talks to another character is romantically involved with them. I can't believe that Julianna would be that paranoid as to not be able to share a scene of ANY kind with Archie because Julianna feared the audience would think Kalinda and Alicia would "hook up."

I can see JM not liking the storyline. I can see her using her influence to end it.  I can see the storyline being part of the big picture, but not the whole picture. The treatment of Kalinda in minimizing her after this storyline still makes me think Julianna did not like Archie for whatever reason.  Otherwise, ditch the storyline, write something else, and place Alicia and Kalinda back in the same room discussing regular old cases with no romantic undertones between the characters.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 3

This doesn't explain why Julianna would be so pissed at Archie as to freeze her out of practically the entire show.

Right, this is not about ONE inciting incident this is years of animosity, jealousy, and resentment of one particular actor and any story line AP was EVER going to have with JM, after S2, since it provided JM the cudgel she could hammer away at in the press with the ONS. The Kings outrageously DEFIED her and so she brought out the big guns of her long standing friendships with suits at CBs, not only were the Kings going to have to drop the Nick storyline, she would never consent to sharing a scene with AP again.

I think her comments in the Emmy round table bare out that from her perspective SHE was coddling the writers (who were in turn to her outrage Kalicia fan pandering) in S3 as Alicia "grinned and bared" having to interact with Kalinda, it's impossible to write a reconciled friendship when one of the actors in questions, indeed the lead star of the show, refuses to portray it in her acting of the part. And IMO Alicia never behaved as Kalinda's friend again, she became a civil coworker, but never again a friend. One drink in hotel room, on separate beds, looking at a wall, because you still can't even stand to look her in the face doesn't count.

The only part that is unique here is why Archie wasn't either fired, or allowed to exit her contract mid S4, I don't know why the Kings thought this was helping the situation as they showed they didn't ever really figure out how to write for Kalinda in isolation from Alicia, and I can't imagine how awkward it was on set to accommodate the in ability to shoot them at the same time, and avoid social interactions at events. Playing out the string of her contract seems like such an ODD choice from any perspective, especially with two and half years left on it. Damn.  At least Archie used the time to her advantage to take work on The Fall, and to get her own development deal.

Again I'm not surprised no one can sniff the story out NOW, when most of the drama was resolved after they stopped working together, two years ago, to everyone on set, BTS this is very OLD news. Hope some one does crack and spill the tea though.

• Love 3
(edited)

How on earth they thought they could "get away" with it?
And why CBS  let this happen?
You can't let whatever feud there is between two of your employees to threat your show's success. 
I really don't know if I will watch TGW next season. 
I dont care to watch a show that let itself get ruined by its own star diva-behavior.

Edited by Zaffy
  • Love 2
(edited)

The only part that is unique here is why Archie wasn't either fired, or allowed to exit her contract mid S4

Absolutely agreed.  As much as I have come to love Archie, I don't know how keeping the character did her or anyone involved any favors.  As a cynic, I can only think that the showrunners/network thought that they could keep Kalinda fans as viewersand that those fans were too stupid to realize how much writing around the "situation" would degrade the plot and characterization.  We know at least one producer doesn't think much of us.  It makes sense that Archie wouldn't breach contract but it seems incredibly foolish of the Kings and CBS not to just let her walk with an NDA and a nice bonus.  Problem solved, no?

Edited by ACS
  • Love 4

Right the only reason I can think of is for the exact thing that is happening now, that eventually it would be noticed, and it would be talked about, and Julianna being an unprofessional asshole would be everywhere, without them ever having to point the finger directly at her, the closest they came was "we're not going to get into a public fight", which pretty much was a flashing sign saying we've been in private fight for years. If that was their plan all along, well done, but it still seems like a crappy thing to do to Archie (and it does seem to me that Archie/Matt are non too pleased with the Kings and what has happened to their stories while this power struggle played itself out).

• Love 5
(edited)

What I want to know is why The Good Wife powers-that-be felt that a faked scene (and so obviously IMO) with Alicia and Kalinda was a good route to go? There could have been a much more dramatic farewell for Kalinda with the Bishop story line than a weird, fake bar scene with JM and AP. This feud has made me have such a skeptical opinion of Juliana and has colored my view of the show overall. Juliana hardly seems to film with ANYONE at Lockhart Gardner in person anymore.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 6

All signs seem to point to something very personal having happened between the two actors. This isn't about professional jealousy or storylines. Could it have been that JM and AP had an off-screen relationship that went sour? That JM was hurt by more than AP? And maybe the Kings or CBS thought the intensity of the feelings/resentment/whatever would lessen with time, but then they didn't and they were left with this situation...

You gotta love Ausiello's moral grandstanding about not caring about what happned between two actresses while glibly referring to David Caruso being a bitch. Got it babe.

I am happy EW and TV Line have confirmed the fuckery.

Totally. And, I'm sorry, but Ausiello is an idiot if he thought for a second -- let alone five days -- that that scene was real. It was so obviously fake. Anyone with half a brain could tell. I know he can't declare it fake without confirmation, but it didn't need confirmation -- what we need is an explanation. It'd be something if he actually got the Kings or AP or someone to talk about it. I also find it surprising that he wouldn't have more details (shareable or not) about it since he's one of the major names in the industry, has been championing the show since it premiered, has had a bunch of scoop on it (ice cream, remember?), and had the exclusive interview with JC when he left.

• Love 3
(edited)

I have to admit that I don't even watch The Good Wife, but I'm fascinated by the situation.

Freeze out another actress for two years and then force CBS to pay for a costly CGI-split screen screen just so you don't have to film with her? That's some next level shit on Margulies' part. The producers and the cast are going to hear it when they're forced into some mandatory show publicity. 

I almost wonder if this some passive-aggressive revenge on the Kings' part. In the sense that a lot of these scenes seemed like they specifically called attention to AP's exit and the nature of her relationship with JM. A couple false goodbyes and not one, but two scenes that clearly emphasize they're not filming together. 

Edited by loki567
  • Love 8

All signs seem to point to something very personal having happened between the two actors. This isn't about professional jealousy or storylines. Could it have been that JM and AP had an off-screen relationship that went sour? That JM was hurt by more than AP? And maybe the Kings or CBS thought the intensity of the feelings/resentment/whatever would lessen with time, but then they didn't and they were left with this situation...

I've thought that too. This seems personal, not professional. Any of the following possibilities seem more or less possible: a) One of them makes a pass at the other and it is not reciprocated. b) One of them makes a pass at the other and it IS reciprocated. c) Relationship/affair gone sour. d) AP makes a pass at JM's hot husband. Something that hurtful and resentment-causing had to have happened to cause this kind of overreaction.

Actually forcing a show to shoot a scene with green-screen so they don't have to be in the same scene together sounds so outlandish that it makes me wonder if the underlying reason is just as outlandish.

I think after the success of everyone keeping the secret about JC's exit, TPTB might have thought they could get away with anything. And clearly the sharks are circling, but no one is prepared to go on record and jeopardize their job.

Absolutely agreed.  As much as I have come to love Archie, I don't know how keeping the character did her or anyone involved any favors.  As a cynic, I can only think that the showrunners/network thought that they could keep Kalinda fans as viewersand that those fans were too stupid to realize how much writing around the "situation" would degrade the plot and characterization.  We know at least one producer doesn't think much of us.  It makes sense that Archie wouldn't breach contract but it seems incredibly foolish of the Kings and CBS not to just let her walk with an NDA and a nice bonus.  Problem solved, no?

I think it's as simple as they knew they would be rightly hauled over coals if a fan favourite and the only non-white, non-straight regular on the show was written out. Maybe it was seriously contemplated, but CBS said "Keep her! Just make sure no scenes with JM. We can't afford the problems it would cause." And no one thought about the long game that there would always be fallout.

I cannot even imagine AP being involved in something like this. And I am officially declaring I don't want JM on my team.

That said, truth is stranger than fiction, so who knows?

• Love 3
(edited)

In context of how we know JM  sees herself and the show this quote is chilling:  http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-good-wife-finale-20140518-story.html 

Charles, eager to pursue other creative opportunities, had decided to leave the show after his contract was up at the end of Season 4. "I completely understood why he wanted to leave," says Margulies. "It can be frustrating for an ensemble player when you're on a show that is mainly about one character."

I didn't know where to put this comment since it's from almost exactly one year ago(I actually thought I had posted it in the media thread but apparently not).  It's pretty hard to swallow that a show which garnered 3 SAG nominations for Outstanding Drama Esemble in it's first three years of eligiblity is "mainly about one character" such that a member of said ensemble is frustrated enough to leave after the fourth year. (Does that shift correspond with JM's producer credit?)  I really think JM's ego got in the way of the best things about this show in the end - the world it created through characterization and relationships.  I think this shift in vision speaks to how fractured all of the voices surrounding this debacle are.  Many shows have a main character without shunting the rest of the cast into the background.  It's a shame this happened but It's such an interesting case study for the television industry/showrunning.

Edited by ACS
  • Love 5
(edited)

Read Michael Ausiello article on the whole thing and I'm kind of annoyed with his attitude of "I don't know what happened with the actresses nor do I care"

Isn't that part of his job?   To question what the heck happen and why the producers are feeding us BS

Sometimes yes. Sometimes no.  I don't even care whether or not he cared about the reason enough to pursue it.  Whoever gets that scoop is going to be able to get millions of hits and if he doesn't want it, then it's within his editorial discretion.

My biggest reaction to his dramatic 'woe is me' article is disbelief that a) he was satisfied with the scene and b) legit believed it was filmed together.  Really that scene was satisfactory to make up for all the storyline shit?  (And I'm not even a Kalicia fan...had they done it organically, I wouldn't have missed scenes between the two.)  And only knowledge that the actresses weren't in the same room ruins it for him? 

How can CBS "get ahead" of this fiasco? Have the two ladies kiss and make up during Letterman's final week on the air?

To let it go.  New shows will happen soon.  New gossip.  It'll fade away until someone gets the scoop.  Anything CBS does or the actresses do would just extend the life cycle of the "scandal."

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

My biggest reaction to his dramatic 'woe is me' article is disbelief that a) he was satisfied with the scene and b) legit believed it was filmed together.  Really that scene was satisfactory to make up for all the storyline shift?  (And I'm not even a Kalicia fan...had they don it organically, I wouldn't have missed scenes between the two.)  And only knowledge that the actresses weren't in the same room ruins it for him? 

Agreed, I don't understand this oft-repeated sentiment. The scene was lame and could never deliver after years of nothing, no matter how it was filmed or written.

If I had my druthers, Kalinda's exit screentime would have been spent on her relationships with Cary and Diane. (Especially ALL THOSE SCENES driving Dylan around.) And I *am* a Kalicia shipper!

To let it go.  New shows will happen soon.  New gossip.  It'll fade away until someone gets the scoop.  Anything CBS does or the actresses do would just extend the life cycle of the "scandal."

Agreed again. Unless someone will go on record, it will just remain "one of those things". What I don't understand was why on earth TPTB chose (and boy did they choose to do it!) to sell the A/K scene so hard in pre-finale publicity. It's like lifting up the rug and showing the visitors all the crap you just swept under it 30 seconds before they arrived.

(Although it's quite hilarious how deadpan Archie was on Twitter in the leadup. She's quite the subtle thrower of shade...)

• Love 2

I don't think that's the way to go.  The show still has an upcoming season.  New shows aren't going to quench that curiosity when the time comes to talk about the Fall season.  They could let it go when they still had the "cover" of it being fan speculation.  Now, it's being addressed by people like Ausiello and EW, and those are major entertainment outlets. To not address it, even at its base level, with something like "We confirm that Ms. Margulies and Ms. Panjabi did not film the final scene together. Ms. Panjabi has moved on to pursue other opportunities, and we wish her well," is amazing to me.  The silence is making Robert and Michelle look inept and Julianna look positively vindictive.  This is an instance where Julianna's fame and standing are going to work against her.  She's got the standing and the influence. In my opinion, people are far more likely to believe she is responsible for this situation.

If Christine Baranski writes a tell-all one day, I will buy it for "The Good Wife" chapter alone.

• Love 4

I see a couple of speculative threads shaking out on these forums and I personally am not convinced of the "inciting incident" theory.  Like blixie, I am a beliver in the slow burning "jealousy and animous" theory starting after Archie won the Emmy in 2010.  I think conflicts compounded over time and that's why we didn't see it overtly on the show until season 4. I think creative differences probably catalyzed some of those but I think, JM is a fundamentally bitter person (if the amount of complaining she does in the press is any indication) and is in particular about the fact that everything isn't about her. 

And despite all odds, AP had impressive years in 2011 and 2012.  Archie got attention for her role as Kalinda even without JM as her scene partner and she quickly parlayed her visibility from the Emmy win into a profile as a philanthropist, she wrote the forward of a legitimate academic publication, she got invited to Harvard while being represented in the press as a humble, genuine delight (because, as I far as I can tell from the research she is humble, genuine, and pretty delightful).  While JM had a higher profile (as evidenced by Google Trends) AP made a lot more headlines.  Plus JM is the type A personality to AP's type B.  Archie seemed to just enjoy the ride and I can imagine JM seething over it.

Appropos of reviewing press and a BA in Psychology, I also think some of the animous happened because after the big reveal JM developed a distaste for Kalinda and was dismayed when the audience didn't.  In the press she seemed to make it pretty clear that WE were the completely out of touch ones. JM's distate grew as the audience voiced undying love for the character.  It seems the majority saw what was fundementally redemable and good about Kalinda and JM couldn't. That leads me to wonder if JM had some really bad experience with infidelity in her past that was somehow triggered by all of this. It might be what allowed her to connect with the Alicia character in the first place.  But I think, as the jealousy grew, as creative difference about characterization and plots unfolded, JM's animous for Kalinda was projected onto AP.  Add these personalities and cirumstances to hundreds of 16 to 18 hour days over the course of two years and I do think it could create the festering pot of awful that has finally come to a head.

• Love 6

The message areas on some of the news sites now reporting this story are hilarious.  On EW for example, people are screaming and yelling about how just last week EW was dismissive of the whole idea and now its "news".

• Love 2
(edited)

But I think, as the jealousy grew, as creative difference about characterization and plots unfolded, JM's animous for Kalinda was projected onto AP.  Add these personalities and cirumstances to hundreds of 16 to 18 hour days over the course of two years and I do think it could create the festering pot of awful that has finally come to a head.

I don't know.  The "gushing/not gushing" post that someone put together a few days ago did not make it seem that Matt C. was running to catch the "Julianna is Awesome" train. Julianna may have really not liked Archie for whatever reason, but Matt's tepid praise gives rise to the idea that it wasn't solely about Archie.  Julianna is just difficult, and she no longer has any more Carol/Doug "goodwill" currency at her disposal.  How Alicia interacts (or doesn't interact) with everyone next season may prove to be more enlightening.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 3
(edited)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, Sydneyside, for the link to that fanfic. Hoo, boy! Some of that snark was brilliant. However, most of the scenes reminded me of season one, and that made me sad....but just for a minute. Then I started thinking of the snark again,.

Edited by Janimo
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don't know.  The "gushing/not gushing" post that someone put together a few days ago did not make it seem that Matt C. was running to catch the "Julianna is Awesome" train. julianna may have really not liked Archie for whatever reason, but Matt's tepid praise gives rise to the idea that it wasn't solely about Archie.  Julianna is just difficult, and she no longer has any more Carol/Doug "goodwill" currency at her disposal.  How Alicia interacts (or doesn't interact) with everyone next season may prove to be more enlightening.

Oh, I don't disagree with you.  I was just arguing that JM's lack of regard for her colleagues played out in particularly harsh way when it came to AP.  I think that the last two seasons on the set probably were frought with JM, as actor/producer, throwing her weight around.   I posted a little while ago about how she said of Josh Charles in an interview with the LA Times last year that "It can be frustrating for an ensemble player when you're on a show that is mainly about one character." It's such a condescending "haterz gon' hate" thing to say in the press that I don't doubt it would be evident in how the actors interacted.  I think you can probably see this attitude play out in the storylines in season 6; none of the "ensemble players" has much to do with "one character".  

Edited by ACS
  • Love 1

I don't think that's the way to go.  The show still has an upcoming season.  New shows aren't going to quench that curiosity when the time comes to talk about the Fall season.  They could let it go when they still had the "cover" of it being fan speculation.  Now, it's being addressed by people like Ausiello and EW, and those are major entertainment outlets.

This thread will likely still be active and possibly blind gossip sites but the main stream press will have so much more to think about.   

Then there's this....

The message areas on some of the news sites now reporting this story are hilarious.  On EW for example, people are screaming and yelling about how just last week EW was dismissive of the whole idea and now its "news".

Come fall, they'll be back to forgetting again.  It's all about access.  They're not going to jeopardize their access to the Kings or any of the actors on the show to keep harping on an old story.  And now that Archie is gone, it is old news. There will be no more episodes where it's obvious they're avoiding one another. The only way it becomes news again is if someone finally spills why this happened.

Even a statement, as  you suggest, would only make people demand again "why" because that's what people really care about. 

• Love 1

This thread will likely still be active and possibly blind gossip sites but the main stream press will have so much more to think about.

I mostly agree, I think they *could* face some questions though, a LOT of the bigger name tv journalists are kind of personally affronted by the bullshit the Kings were slinging, and subsequently their feeling the JM is responsible, so they'll be all puffed up to ask, but will accept any BS answer or flat out denials they get. Entertainment news is a joke, anyone who behaves as an actual journalist in Hollywood is denied access. THR is one of the few organizations who even dares cross the publicity machine that masquerades as entertainment journalism. I think the best candidates to pursue the "story" are Emily Nussbaum or Daniel Fienberg, but Nussbaum sticks mostly to reviews and not pure reporting/feature stuff.

• Love 1
(edited)

Then there's this..

Come fall, they'll be back to forgetting again.  It's all about access.  They're not going to jeopardize their access to the Kings or any of the actors on the show to keep harping on an old story.  And now that Archie is gone, it is old news. There will be no more episodes where it's obvious they're avoiding one another. The only way it becomes news again is if someone finally spills why this happened.

Even a statement, as  you suggest, would only make people demand again "why" because that's what people really care about. 

I don't think we know yet if this is an old story. Archie's gone yes, but Alicia spent much of last season interacting with the recurring characters of her campaign staff, not with the other "regulars" who are supporting characters on the show. Characters who weren't Kalinda. You're right, it will flare again if someone spills, but I als think that it will flare if Alicia is again as isolated from the rest of the cast. If that happens, it will then no longer be about Kalinda because Archie is no longer there. I don't think we're able to tell (and we may never be able to tell) if this was a severe personality conflict between two people or the flaws of an actress being revealed in ways that weren't as visible in her previous roles. I think it's now dormant news, but I don't think it's yet old news.

Speaking for myself, a statement isn't about the why. This is TV, and as you said, the real why isn't going to appear unless someone spills. The statement for me would simply be an acknowledgement of reality, as in "Yes, the sky is blue. It's not really purple." For years, this issue has been evaded as though fans were speculating that the moon is made of cheese. If there's a problem, I can deal with that. If you don't want to tell me the specifics of the problem, I can deal with that. What I cannot deal with is being told there is no problem when there clearly is and has been. For me, the statement would not be for the why, but it would be for the admission that there was indeed an issue, and i wasn't just some "crazy fan" because I noticed there was an issue.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 2

I don't think we know yet if this is an old story. Archie's gone yes, but Alicia spent much of last season interacting with the recurring characters of her campaign staff, not with the other "regulars" who are supporting characters on the show. Characters who weren't Kalinda. You're right, it will flare again if someone spills, but I als think that it will flare if Alicia is again as isolated from the rest of the cast.

That is the thing.   When Diane went to F&A and took Kalinda, my reaction was 'how are they going to remove Alicia from the firm's storylines?'  But now Kalinda is gone and they still set up the rest of this season to isolate Alicia from the other characters next season.  I don't think it will reach a refusal to shoot with any of them but I think interaction will be minimal.

If they don't change course

- Finn decided not to partner with Alicia so Alicia doesn't always have to be up against Cary/Diane in court

-Alicia partners with Canning.  Canning trying to destroy Diane/Cary over making his wife cry makes a great façade that Alicia is part of that storyline when she is not.  It lets her play conflicted over the war between current and former partners while trying to stay out of it.  Actively uninvolved.

Assuming Michael J Fox is sticking around for next season, Alicia partners with him, they aren't partners in name only, and JM is a diva, she better watch herself.  Because even if CBS is willing to let its stars run roughshod over their shows because they are the star, I think Michael J Fox is the exception to that rule. 

Did SNL's season finale tonight mention the "situation"' on Weekend Update or do a sketch spoofing it?

Honestly its not important enough for SNL to mention it.  It's an interesting and revealing industry story, but the general public overall likely doesn't give a crap.

• Love 4

If Christine Baranski writes a tell-all one day, I will buy it for "The Good Wife" chapter alone.

That book would be a runaway best seller if it also included a chapter on her time with Cybill Shepherd on "Cybill".  Honestly, I can see Baranski on this show having huddled with Panjabi about what happens when a supporting player outshines the lead on a show.

• Love 3

That book would be a runaway best seller if it also included a chapter on her time with Cybill Shepherd on "Cybill".  Honestly, I can see Baranski on this show having huddled with Panjabi about what happens when a supporting player outshines the lead on a show.

Oooh good point! I loved "Cybill" and this situation definitely has some shades of what Christine dealt with there. Nothing as crazy as not being able to have scenes with the star of the show since it was a much smaller cast and it was taped, but certainly the tension of a supporting player rivaling the star. (and for my money Christine Baranski was that show.)

• Love 2

Alicia partners with Canning.  Canning trying to destroy Diane/Cary over making his wife cry makes a great façade that Alicia is part of that storyline when she is not.  It lets her play conflicted over the war between current and former partners while trying to stay out of it.  Actively uninvolved.

Good heavens, you're right.    They had the election storyline to keep her separate this year.   Once she had to resign (well step away she never was sworn in), she could have easily gone back to her own damn law firm.    Her buyout was not finalized yet.   Where as a named partner she could take only those cases she liked.   Instead, they have her set up her own law firm in her spare room.    Of course, she still uses Cary to get what she needs to win her case.   Then she contemplates partnering with Canning.    All to keep her isolated some more.

That is is some major contrivance to keep this the Diva Show instead of an ensemble cast.   

• Love 3
(edited)
Honestly its not important enough for SNL to mention it.  It's an interesting and revealing industry story, but the general public overall likely doesn't give a crap.

Yeah, no one even watches the show let alone gives a crap about the actor's office politics, so I don't think we will get any jokes at the Emmy's either.  We are a very unique subculture!

My guess would be that the feud is mostly JM since I think someone with more power on the set must have been responsible for how ludicrous the situation came.  Plus, even though Archie was a fan favorite and an Emmy winner, I don't think she's at the point in her career to be a full on jerk just yet.  Just pure speculation, which is what happens on the internet when you are in the public eye and act like a child.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 2