Type keyword(s) to search

More Dramatic Than the Show: Behind the Scenes

SNL doesn't necessarily decide to do sketches for the public, they do what they want to do. This is a juicy story. Maybe Lorne Michaels and the writers felt it just hadn't hit enough mainstream press yet to be valid.

(edited)

Thank God for this thread. It provides me with endless entertainment. So much better than the show itself...

Wow, just watched the Emmy round table and JM is really obsessed with the Kalinda-banged-her-husband plot, isn't she? She actually says that NO WOMAN in the whole world would forgive a friend to slept with her husband. I mean, really??? Well, I happen to know one or two women who did exactly that. Because the husband was a cheater anyway, and the friendship was great. So they kicked the husband out of the equation and kept the friend. Smart girls, if you ask me...

Anyway, JM clearly has issues there. And yes, I do believe they are directly related to the feud. She was not just angry with Kalinda, she was angry with Archie, she was angry with the Kings and she was angry with US for wanting the two friends back. It's so ironic that she thinks fans opinions are dangerous to the show. Maybe she should look and the mirror, and then she would find the person whose opinions are dangerous to the show...

Edited by maddie965
  • Love 9

Myself, the argument that they wouldn't be friends after the affair doesn't hold water. So she won't be friends with Kalinda but she keeps on sleeping with the guy who cheated on her? I realize she isn't now, but she did for quite a long while. I don't like that this reason for their separation, is never questioned, and just accepted as a valid reason. I hate that stereotype or dynamic where person A has a cheating spouse, and rather than hold the spouse accountable they go after the person their spouse cheated with. w.

It's believable to me. She made a vow to stick with her husband until death. He clearly broke their vows when he screwed around, and yes, she is now justified in leaving him if she wants, but still, this is a man she supposedly loved and made a promise to stick with for life. Many people take that seriously and try to give people a second chance. She's totally tied up with him financially (divorce is not fun practically), she presumably loved him at some point, and she has children with him! If there is anyway to make it work for the sake of your children so they don't have to bounce between two parents and have a broken home situation, many parents really try to make it work if there is any way they can. The point is, the motivation to muster up every forgiving bone you have in your body for a person you loved once, share all your finances with, and co-parent with, is very very high. But why put yourself through the challenge of trying to forgive and trust your cheating husband again while also spending all your time with the woman he slept with, so you have to imagine him screwing her on a daily basis while simultaneously trying to forgive and forget? (That's really hard to do when presumably all your emotional resources are tapped trying to make your marriage work as it is). Being best friends with the woman your husband screwed is making your attempt to mend your marriage a losing battle. Why bother to make it so hard on yourself, when you can just find another girlfriend to have some drinks with? It's not like Kalinda was even close enough to her to trust her with anything personal at the time she found this out. It makes perfect sense she wouldn't be motivated to bother to make that person her best friend. Just find another friend. You can't pick another father of your kids. So this felt very real to me. I don't think if you asked Alicia that she would ever say Peter didn't do anything wrong and Kalinda did. (That would be unfair). Her fury towards Peter indicates she definitely thought he did something wrong (let's not forget she threw him out when she found out he slept with Kalinda). She would never say Peter was free of sin and Kalinda was horrible - she would just say that for the sake of her own sanity some polite distance from Kalinda would make her life easier. Being her best friend would make it harder. You really want a best friend you can't even invite over for dinner if you ever are able to make your marriage work? (Obviously it is inappropriate for Peter to be around her and super awkward for the three of them to be in a room). Distance makes sense. If it's easiest to pursue a relationship with only one, obviously you are motivated to prioritize the man you loved, share a bank account with, and share 15 years and children with, over a lady you had a few drinks with. That doesn't mean she would say Peter did nothing wrong and Kalinda did, just that she has to make choices that make sense for her life. It made sense to me, that she would realize that until she was ready to write her marriage off, Kalinda wasn't the wisest best friend to have.

• Love 1
(edited)

My point wasn’t articulated very well. There’s a common scenario in tv and movies, where Guy A has an affair with Guy B’s wife. Guy B directs his anger at Guy A and it comes across (to me at least), he directs his anger at Guy A is because he views his wife as property, rather than a thinking, decision-making being. I think this is the part that bothers me, but I can see it is also a personal interpretation and the same scene could be read different ways. The situation on Good Wife is more complex than that, but that is what influenced my comment.

I've seen the same scenario with the genders reversed.

I also personally am much more sympathetic to Kalinda than Peter in this situation. I think Peter deserved to be dumped hard long ago, and if it were me- yes I would have forgiven Kalinda long ago. But that is probably for another thread.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 1

Wow, just watched the Emmy round table and JM is really obsessed with the Kalinda-banged-her-husband plot, isn't she? She actually says that NO WOMAN in the whole world would forgive a friend to slept with her husband. I mean, really??? Well, I happen to know one or two women who did exactly that. Because the husband was a cheater anyway, and the friendship was great. So they kicked the husband out of the equation and kept the friend. Smart girls, if you ask me...

I kept the cheating spouse and the friendship. Maybe I don't count to JM because I'm a lesbian?

• Love 3

It is funny, in the big "reunion" scene Kalinda apologizes "that things got messed up" yet it was not her character wanting to throw a hissy fit about something she did way before they even met because Mr. State's Attorney can't keep it in his pants. I also noticed that Alicia didn't bother apologizing for her very active and conscious role in the "messed up" friendship.

• Love 5

It is funny, in the big "reunion" scene Kalinda apologizes "that things got messed up" yet it was not her character wanting to throw a hissy fit about something she did way before they even met because Mr. State's Attorney can't keep it in his pants. I also noticed that Alicia didn't bother apologizing for her very active and conscious role in the "messed up" friendship.

I wonder if something about Alicia's side of the conversation got vetoed or changed in the scene? Given Alicia's line in her apartment from the promo "I don't have any friends and I don't know why." disappeared from the aired episode -- more grist to the mill. (Although it's certainly happened before that the cut the CBS promo monkeys use is not the one that airs, we've seen things disappear before that I'm sure were just decisions from the Kings to keep the episode under time.)

I wonder if something about Alicia's side of the conversation got vetoed or changed in the scene? Given Alicia's line in her apartment from the promo "I don't have any friends and I don't know why." disappeared from the aired episode -- more grist to the mill. (Although it's certainly happened before that the cut the CBS promo monkeys use is not the one that airs, we've seen things disappear before that I'm sure were just decisions from the Kings to keep the episode under time.)

But if you're cutting for time, why would you cut one of the rare lines that gives important insights into Alicia's feelings?  I dunno--I think it was an odd line to cut if there weren't more to the story.  Don't forget: the last time we heard Alicia talking about how she didn't have friends was in "What Went Wrong" back in season three, right before Kalinda "found" Grace--it's an important Kalicia callback.  I have a feeling that JM very carefully vetoed any overt lines about how important Kalinda used to be to her, or what a good friend she was.

This isn't the thread to get into it in depth, but I did want to answer this quickly:

Being best friends with the woman your husband screwed is making your attempt to mend your marriage a losing battle. Why bother to make it so hard on yourself, when you can just find another girlfriend to have some drinks with? It's not like Kalinda was even close enough to her to trust her with anything personal at the time she found this out. It makes perfect sense she wouldn't be motivated to bother to make that person her best friend. Just find another friend.

But imagine, for the sake of argument, that it wasn't that easy.  Imagine that Kalinda were not an interchangeable drinks-after-work acquaintance, but someone to whom Alicia had been inexplicably drawn from the beginning.  Imagine that the two of them were, as Robert King said at one point, "soulmates on the friendship level."  Let's leave it at that and throw the potential romantic arc out entirely.  If Alicia and Kalinda were indeed friendship soulmates, it would have suddenly made sense for Alicia to fight for that friendship despite all the good reasons why she should have let it go.  THAT would have been the story, and it would have been a really great one.  Just ending up saying that an obstacle that a sensible person would think is too much to overcome is actually, in fact, too much to overcome isn't a story, and it certainly wasn't worth everything that was lost with the Peter/Kalinda ONS reveal.  

Someone made the following comment on TVLine yesterday:

What really makes me sad is finding out they weren’t keeping Kalinda and Alicia apart for the sake of the story but accommodating for Julianna and Archie. I never liked that the show abandoned the relationship but I always thought it was because the writers were just never interested. They might have taken that relationship a lot of new places but couldn’t and it’s depressing we missed out on that.

Yes, exactly.  Plus one!  THAT'S the main point of all of this hang-wringing, and it's what the author of that smug Slate article doesn't seem to get.  It's not the mere fact of the scene itself, it's the notion that whole storylines (for a long, long time) were highjacked because of a personnel squabble that couldn't be contained.  And that's just depressing to anyone who is serious about the show, or about the notion of longform storytelling in general.  It makes every narrative arc on the show since mid-season four seem suspect.

• Love 6

If Alicia and Kalinda were indeed friendship soulmates, it would have suddenly made sense for Alicia to fight for that friendship despite all the good reasons why she should have let it go.  THAT would have been the story, and it would have been a really great one.

Ugh now I'm angry again - this would have made for a GREAT story arc. I would have genuinely loved to see a complex storyline about how Alicia negotiates her marriage, her friendship with Kalinda, and both of their betrayals. Wouldn't be the stereotypical "cut the friend out of your life, try to save your shitty marriage" thing, but something richer and more complicated. UGH. Stupid immature petty drama. Suck it up, JM, be professional. (Bit late on that one, though.)

• Love 3

I don't know what happened behind the scenes of Alice (I was a kid). But Linda Lavin is by far, the better actress, and even when Polly Holiday, got her own spin-off Flo, it bombed spectacularly. That much I do remember. It wasn't as funny, she wasn't as funny, as when she was on Alice. And Alice ran for 10 seasons. So count me in the group as No, I don't know what happened there.

I just remember both shows and careers were never the same.  Not even Diane Ladd was a good fill-in.  Lavin is a good actress but I never really liked her.  

What did I miss on the West Wing thread re Rob Lowe?  Was he the diva, or was he diva-ed around?

I believe the story with Rob Lowe and TWW was that he was hired to be the star of the show and he got shunted aside as Bradley Whitford became the star of the show and Lowe's character got less and less to do. There was apparently issues with him being a diva on the Parks set as well. I think he has ego issues.

I also personally am much more sympathetic to Kalinda than Peter in this situation. I think Peter deserved to be dumped hard long ago, and if it were me- yes I would have forgiven Kalinda long ago. But that is probably for another thread.

I just wanted to say here, that wasn't the story that Kalinda slept with Peter in exchange for a new name so she could escape her abusive husband? So Peter takes advantage of a desperate woman's fear of her husband to get yet more extramarital action, and somehow he's the forgiven one? I actually think it was the sleaziest thing he's ever done (which is saying something). But it is also all the more reason for Alicia to be able to understand, and forgive.

I'm so disappointed in the way the friendship was ruined by the behind the scenes politics. I hope Archie has greater success elsewhere.

• Love 5
(edited)

I just wanted to say here, that wasn't the story that Kalinda slept with Peter in exchange for a new name so she could escape her abusive husband? So Peter takes advantage of a desperate woman's fear of her husband to get yet more extramarital action, and somehow he's the forgiven one?

I don't think Peter's fantastic, but I do liike Chris Noth as Peter.  I agree with the above quote.  What I also find important is that Kalinda and Alicia didn't know each other when Kalinda and Peter slept together, and it was an ONS (or very short-term, I can't remember).  Yes, I suppose Kalinda could have said, "Hi, I'm Kalinda. By the way, I slept with your husband.  Want to be friends?," but seriously, who does that?  The liaison with Peter was long-since over, and Kalinda and Alicia weren't friends yet. Kalinda might have even sought out Alicia out of a feeling of atonement. Kalinda wanting to help Alicia as a way for Kalinda to atone for her role in sleeping with Peter, and then discovering a great friendship in the process.

Like others, it just makes me both sad and mad. I loved the friendship. LOVED IT.  Julianna not only hated it, she destroyed it. (I know I only typed "Julianna." That was intentional.)

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yes, I suppose Kalinda could have said, "Hi, I'm Kalinda. By the way, I slept with your husband.  Want to be friends?," but seriously, who does that?

The issue was that when Alicia learns that Kalinda worked for Peter during the great hookering scandal in S1, she asks directly if she was ever one of his bangees, and Kalinda definitely denies.  That was my huge ish with the ONS story, not ONLY did I think Kalinda wouldn't bang Peter, even to procure a name for herself, but I think she would have fessed up in that crucial moment with Alicia, and explain exactly how it came about to beg forgiveness. I think in story I interpreted the betrayal to be lying about it so baldy to be the larger betrayal Alicia could never fully get over. I can't remember exactly how Archie played that denial (but believe it was pretty direct and unconflicted), but I believe she said the Kings never told her Kalinda had slept with Peter and she seemed a little put out about it, so she could have built that into her performance more all along.

Edited by blixie
  • Love 1

In the beginning I saw the show as the classic Cinderella (capable of great strength and wiling to do hard work) and magical/mythical fairy godmother story journey. As long as that was the story I loved it. And then they ruined it. 

• Love 1

Because why then agree to do a scene with the character, but not with the actress?? This is personal and it has to do with Archie.

Agreed. The faked scene put paid to any claims that it was story-driven.

It's so strange. If AP did something so horrible that JM couldn't stand to be in the same room, why didn't JM use her influence to have Kalinda written out? It seems like it would have been easy enough to justify when the Nick storyline tanked so badly.

If JM was the one who did something that made AP not want to work with her, unless it was really bad, wouldn't AP have been told to just suck it up? Or invited to ask to be released? Would TPTB force AP to honor her contract under those conditions? If that was the case, I'd be surprised that Matt Czuchry, who's good friends with AP, would sign for two more seasons as he just did.

I guess I'll just wait for Baranski's tell-all...

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm glad Archie is commenting:

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/archie-panjabi-talks-good-wife-final-scene-fuels-rift-rumors-2015275

Also (too bad they had to include a pic of JM at the bottom-yuck) :

http://news.yahoo.com/archie-panjabi-opens-controversial-good-071700678.html

I know I'm gonna go see San Andreas 'cause of Archie....I wish her well in anything she chooses to do.

Edited by Janimo
  • Love 2

I know I'm gonna go see San Adreas 'cause of Archie....I wish her well in anything she chooses to do.

I thought that looked like her in the trailer but I wasn't sure.  

I think Archie's comments were very classy. And told me everything I needed to know. Well actually i was already pretty sure what happened, but I think Archie put any doubt to rest.

• Love 3

I know I'm gonna go see San Adreas 'cause of Archie....I wish her well in anything she chooses to do.

I thought that looked like her in the trailer but I wasn't sure.

I heard she was only in the movie for 3 scenes so you'd better like the Rock if you pay money to see it.

I think Archie's comments were very classy. And told me everything I needed to know. Well actually i was already pretty sure what happened, but I think Archie put any doubt to rest.

Yes, here it is.  And it IS definitely "the high road", but without insulting the intelligence of the fanbase, the way EVERY SINGLE WORD out of the Kings on the subject has done.

"You know, I can't answer that," she replied, when Us asked whether the final scene was shot in person with Margulies. "It’s not fair for me to answer those decisions. As much as I want to. But those decisions are made by the producers. I'm not privy to those decisions. All I do know is I'm very grateful to the Kings for making the decision to cast me," she said.

• Love 7
(edited)
The issue was that when Alicia learns that Kalinda worked for Peter during the great hookering scandal in S1, she asks directly if she was ever one of his bangees, and Kalinda definitely denies.  That was my huge ish with the ONS story, not ONLY did I think Kalinda wouldn't bang Peter, even to procure a name for herself, but I think she would have fessed up in that crucial moment with Alicia, and explain exactly how it came about to beg forgiveness. I think in story I interpreted the betrayal to be lying about it so baldy to be the larger betrayal Alicia could never fully get over. I can't remember exactly how Archie played that denial (but believe it was pretty direct and unconflicted), but I believe she said the Kings never told her Kalinda had slept with Peter and she seemed a little put out about it, so she could have built that into her performance more all along.

I seem to recall amongst several of the King's interviews, that they said that it had always been the plan for Kalinda to have slept with Peter and Alicia to find out.  Of course, I take that with a grain of salt since it came out after the epi aired.  I've just always thought they retconned it myself after whatever "drama" happened.

I also don't think Archie should be the one spilling the beans about whatever it is that happened (which she so far seems to be doing).  It'll probably come out when everyone is too old to care about it anyway and be chalked up to one of those Hollywood fights/behind-the-scenes hatefests that showbiz is known for.

I wish Archie well also, even if I have no intention of seeing San Andreas no matter how much I like her, the Rock and Carla Gugino.  I'll watch to see what else she does.

Edited by milkyaqua

I don't much like The Rock,  but telling me that Carla Gugino is in it might have actually helped me forgive the fact that the Rock IS in it.

• Love 2
(edited)

Here's another recent article from supposedly less than an hour ago. I really don't like the speculation and the way it's written (very snottily, imo, toward both AP and JM) and it doesn't really reveal any sources....but I'm including the link anyway, 'cause I don't think this topic is gonna go away any time soon, as much as the Kings and JM would probably like it to....but again, that's just my two cents.

Oh, yeah.....the link:

http://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/2015/archie-panjabi-confirms-julianna-margulies-the-good-wife-enemy-refused-to-shoot-final-scene-together/

Archie Panjabi confirmed that she and Julianna Margulies hate each other so much that they filmed their final The Good Wife scene together separately. There’s nothing like the smell of an epic feud in the morning. Celeb Dirty Laundry recently covered the feud between Julianna Margulies and Archie Panjabi, the stars of CBS’ hit show ‘The Good Wife’. A green-eyed, jealous monster planted a bomb between the two actresses when Panjabi won an Emmy Award before Margulies did..

Edited by Janimo

So much cognitive dissonance...just one paragraph after the "Archie Panjabi confirmed" comes: 

Panjabi, who stars in the new shlock-disaster film San Andreas, neither denied, nor confirmed, the rumoured rift at last night’s (May 26) red carpet premiere of San Andreas.

And if you follow links, it goes to another article that mentions that the June 1 edition of Star has an article about AP/JM. So now the print tabloids are picking it up. http://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/2015/julianna-marguiles-hated-archie-panjabi-the-good-wife-feud-alicia-florrik-actually-happy-to-see-kalinda-leave-cbs-show/

And if US Weekly is asking AP about it on the red carpet for the premiere of her new film, then the gloves are off - JM will be asked about this at the next red carpet she walks. She can dictate what she's asked in pre-arranged interviews, but she can't control the questions thrown at her on the red carpet.

• Love 1

but she can't control the questions thrown at her on the red carpet.

She can control it, and she most certainly will, from Lainey Gossip's solid post about the feud yesterday:

Here’s how this sh-t usually works – if the celebrity doesn’t want to answer certain questions about certain topics, the publicist will give you a warning. “No personal questions. Do not ask about XYZ.” Most of the time, you have to comply. Because otherwise they’ll throw you off the press line..........E! News was able to get off that question. Which means they weren’t specifically told not to ask the question. Which means Archie didn’t mind answering it.

That's ARCHIE though, who doesn't mind fielding it because she looks great by doing so, and can continue to throw all the shade every bit of it at Julianna and the Kings. 

Will Julianna Margulies answer the same question though? Or, when it comes time for Julianna to do press for next season, will the publicists outlaw the Archie talk?

The tougher stuff will be promoting S7, and if the tv beat writers are still bent out of shape about the feud's impact on S6, and the show in general.I feel like JM doesn't do a ton of those kind of interviews anyway though so she can just opt out of the whole process and if they are smart they'll use Alan Cumming on the front lines, as he'll find a way to be impishly entertaining w/o necessarily revealing any drama.

Yes, there is nothing says actors have to answer questions they don't want to (as mentioned above, if the publicist warns the press beforehand and threatens to not let their client talk to them, they'll back off).  This also works the other way as well.  There are celebs who vie for major magazine covers who are told they will have to talk about this subject or that or they won't get that promised cover (see Jennifer Aniston).

Honestly, I don't need to hear anything from JM. Her silence speaks volumes. Besides what could she really say? Unless it eventually comes out that Archie ran over her dog or something, the damage is already done to JM. She already had kind of a diva reputation going back to ER. This just continues that narrative.  She isn't dumb. She is very aware of what people are saying and think and apparently she's fine with it. 

• Love 2

I love how viscerally revolted Sepinwall sounded in that podcast.

JM seems to be content with the rumors. It seems that she doesn't really care what people think-- and she's laughing all the way to the bank. She got her way, she got her paycheck, and the helpless unhappiness of fans and anyone else doesn't take that away and in a way makes her seem all the more powerful. She doesn't need to be liked or to get jobs, even. And perhaps there really is nothing she can say, because if the suspicions are true, then for her to admit it makes her look even worse. If Archie had really done something horrendous, the details could have been leaked and Archie would have been fired. But if it's just Juliana is a diva, professionally jealous, and a control freak, well... what can she say that will make it better? Nothing. So her silence really is the only option for her.

• Love 1

I wonder if this will have any impact on the Emmy voters--it's not such a long time between now and July.  It would be a real slap to JM if she, as last year's winner, wasn't nominated for this year's Best Drama Actress category.  I think the feud fallout is unlikely to have THAT much of an impact, but I really hope that it does. (Her performance this year wasn't close to that of Keri Russell in The Americans, and Russell will almost certainly be ignored as she always is!)

• Love 2

There is certainly no shortage of other actresses to nominate in JM's category - as you point out, Russell is routinely ignored by the Emmys, and Vera Farmiga and Tatiana Maslany are also routinely ignored. That's three right there who can challenge for JM's slot among the Usual Suspects who always seem to make up the Emmy slate (Claire Danes, Michelle Dockery, and so forth).

I don't see the feud resulting in a significant loss of nominating votes for JM, but if there was not a big margin between her and the first runner-up from last year (whoever that was), even a small swing of votes could be costly. But on the other side of things, JM's big advantage is that she's on the one broadcast network show that's said to be on par with cable. There are still a ton of people who work in broadcast network and I think they like to try to keep some representation in where they can.

She's been shut out before, though--I think she wasn't nominated the year before last.  I really hope that she isn't nominated, so she can stew about whether her bad behavior and lack of professionalism had anything to do with it.  I'd certainly be down with either Tatiana Maslany or Vera Farmiga getting a nod over JM--they're wonderful.

• Love 2

The show was so underwhelming this year, and the material pretty crap, so I could actually see her going un-nominated. I pity the Kings and the rest of the cast if that happens.

• Love 5

I am a long time lurker and a sometimes poster and have enjoyed reading the comments about this past season. More often then not I agree with what the majority of the board is saying but not now. Most of you are putting the blame on one person when, in truth, no one really knows what went on between JM and AP.

Generally it takes two people to cause tension in a relationship whether it be personal or work related. Isn't it interesting that she would start talking about the supposed feud now when she's got a new movie and TV show to promote? Great way to keep her name in the press.

Personally, I don't give two hoots if there is a feud, was a feud. It's none of my business. The only thing I care about is the show and how Alicia Florrick's story will continue to unfold.

Just my 2 cents folks.

• Love 1
(edited)

I won't feel sorry for the Kings at all. Their cowardice in standing up to JM...maybe the network interfered there too, but that doesn't excuse the poor writing throughout the entire season, and even in previous seasons.

Edited by tearbender
  • Love 5

She's been shut out before, though--I think she wasn't nominated the year before last.

I phrased that poorly in my post - I don't consider JM a Usual Suspect. As you said, she's not always nominated. What I was trying to say, poorly, was that the other slots are mostly locked down by the Usual Suspects, so it's JM's slot that is most at risk from challengers such as Russell, Farmiga and Maslany. Plus it's generally accepted that one of the slots on this year's ballot will belong to Viola Davis, as a first-time nominee for HTGAWM (and since that's ABC, it will satisfy those who want to get some broadcast network representation onto the slate). It's a very crowded field of eligible nominees, so even a small loss of votes for JM could be enough for her to lose out on being nominated. And as you say, then she'll have to stew about how and why she was ignored! She doesn't care at all about fans or press, but she does care about her awards.

• Love 1

I understood her "Complete and utter rubbish comment" after I went to her twitter account:

https://twitter.com/PanjabiArchie where it did state "Complete and utter rubbish" with a link following that particular comment:

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/julianna-margulies-vs-archie-panjabi-the-good-wife-costars-are-secretly-at-war-report-59429

Now I better understand, but then again, I'm kinda slow on the uptake with some of the comments and links here. 

Anyhoo, Go Archie!!!