Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings, Scheduling, and Watching for Cancellation/Renewal

Not trying to be Debbie Downer but wouldn't B99 still have a stronger case for renewal than SH being that it's a 30 minute show instead of an hour and doesn't use the special effects that SH uses? It has the same or slightly better demos than SH and is probably cheaper to produce with the shorter running time and being a CGI free show.

Sleepy Hollow does cost more, but Fox owns SH and I feel like by the time a show has gotten past S3, they like to see it make it to "syndication" levels of episodes, but since SH had shorter seasons I think their further away from the syndication #, so...IDK.

Not trying to be Debbie Downer but wouldn't B99 still have a stronger case for renewal than SH being that it's a 30 minute show instead of an hour and doesn't use the special effects that SH uses? It has the same or slightly better demos than SH and is probably cheaper to produce with the shorter running time and being a CGI free show.

GET. OUT.

Kidding. Sorta (with all love). Yes and No. Size of cast, actor salaries, location shooting (SH films in Georgia with lots of tax incentives), day of week ratings, TV buzz, FX budget, and behind the scenes ass-kissing all probably influence the ratings numbers. There are a myriad of things that will decide SH's ultimate fate.

Let's put it this way - two years ago, a fantastic show called Forever lasted only one year on ABC. It's ratings, FOX would KILL to have. I don't think one of their shows this year - save X-Files - are even close to matching Forever's ratings #'s. Yet because of whatever stupid reasons, it was cancelled (laments this). So unfortunately, justice does not play fair. In all rights, SH should be renewed. But like Forever, the beautiful Brits on America's TV land keep getting axed by stupid execs in America-land....

• Love 2

I think it doesn't work to compare comedies to dramas, ratings-wise. The network will evaluate them separately, based on how they compare to other shows of the same type. I think B99 was one of their higher rated comedies last year, so that explains their renewal. SH isn't competing with B99, it's competing with Fox's other dramas.

Also, my understanding is that they don't care much about total viewers; they only care about ages 18 - 49 because that's what advertisers want (apparently older people are already set in their habits and younger ones don't have enough cash).

Some of this may be changing, but in the past, that was how shows were evaluated.

I want them to renew SH, and sometimes shows do get renewed with a small audience if the viewers are, for instance, especially high income, or if there is some other mitigating factor. I am not guessing what they'll do at this point.

• Love 3

I think it doesn't work to compare comedies to dramas, ratings-wise. The network will evaluate them separately, based on how they compare to other shows of the same type. I think B99 was one of their higher rated comedies last year, so that explains their renewal. SH isn't competing with B99, it's competing with Fox's other dramas.

Also, my understanding is that they don't care much about total viewers; they only care about ages 18 - 49 because that's what advertisers want (apparently older people are already set in their habits and younger ones don't have enough cash).

Some of this may be changing, but in the past, that was how shows were evaluated.

I want them to renew SH, and sometimes shows do get renewed with a small audience if the viewers are, for instance, especially high income, or if there is some other mitigating factor. I am not guessing what they'll do at this point.

I agree, Possibilities,  I think the best comparison for SH is to other FOX dramas, and to focus on the 18-49 rating. The thing that has changed is that other non-rating factors have become more important since ratings as a whole have dropped across the board.

For instance, Lucifer, a fox drama, got a 1.2 in its last episode while Sleepy Hollow got a .8 last week. That is a big percentage difference, but how much does that extra .4 in rating matter in terms of advertising revenue to the network? While on the other hand Sleepy Hollow is much closer to syndication and is owned by the network while Lucifer is not. It is hard to tell what is a higher priority for a network. The margins are so small that as you said it come come down to something like the income level of the show's audience.

The thing I come back to is does FOX really think they would do better with another show on a Friday? Their schedule is already thin and they are losing American Idol for next season, you would think it would be valuable to have a show that has been steady on a Friday and that has incentives to keep producing more episodes. Unfortunately like last year, we might not find out until after the season as it seems like it is going to be a close call either way

• Love 3

Hmmm. Interesting that the overnights had such a drop, perhaps due to the NCAA tournament?

It'll be most interesting to see what the +3/+7 DVR viewership look like considering what happened with Danny and Abbie in this episode. I know the Internet is a very small part of the viewing audience but word has spread about Dabby. It could a have an impact, albeit minor, on the DVR ratings.

Hmmm. Interesting that the overnights had such a drop, perhaps due to the NCAA tournament?

It'll be most interesting to see what the +3/+7 DVR viewership look like considering what happened with Danny and Abbie in this episode. I know the Internet is a very small part of the viewing audience but word has spread about Dabby. It could a have an impact, albeit minor, on the DVR ratings.

Good Friday and March Madness so it took a hit. I bet DVR delayed watching it pops back up

Sleepy Hollow is at Wondercon this weekend. Apparently, Lindsay, Zach, Nikki R, and Jessica will be in attendance, along with Raven Metzner. That's a good sign, right?

I figured NCAA and that it's the Easter long weekend.

I think it is yeah, unless they were committed a long time ago, not sure why they'd want to market a show that is dead in the water.

Yeah, I don't get it either. This week I'm back to being cynical and thinking that for sure the show will be cancelled, so why bother? They may want to attend anyway for self-promotion, get their faces out there, networking purposes, etc since they all need to find their next project.

Yes, those appearances pay pretty well. If they are all unemployed now it can't hurt to earn some money.

Okay that makes sense then. Even if a show is cancelled or a character is killed off they still can go.

I mean Supernatural has killed off 95% of it's guest actors and they all show up to the cons LOL.  And Star Trek has cons. Granted it's not Wondercon but IMO the idea is the same.

I figured NCAA and that it's the Easter long weekend.

Spring break for some schools too and the weather is warmer, so Friday nights are "on" again.   I always figured this week ratings would drop.

If Fox decides to move out of Atlanta (due to Georgia's stupid-ass Governor violating LGBT rights), that could hurt even more. Having to move again sure isn't going to help.

Well the law hasn't passed yet. It's on the Governor's desk and he hasn't signed it yet. He has until May 3 to sign. There's a LOT of opposition to it. The state would lose $2 billion a year just if the movie industry left the state that's of course not including other organizations opting to go elsewhere if the bill is signed into law.

So hopefully he'll wake up and veto the ridiculous bill. Georgia currently has quite a few shows and movies that continue to film or are filming here, most notably TWD. I'd hate for us to lose them, the money and the jobs they bring over this stupid law.

Edited by Enero

So hopefully he'll wake up and veto the ridiculous bill. Georgia currently has quite a few shows and movies that continue to film or are filming here, most notably TWD. I'd hate for us to lose them, the money and the jobs they bring over this stupid law.

Not to mention that the current management of Time Warner are, to put it mildly, not fans of Ted Turner's, so I'll bet they'd be tickled to have an excuse to start taking their properties out of Atlanta and moving them to somewhere closer to New York and where they live, like CT or Westchester or North Jersey.

Not to mention that the current management of Time Warner are, to put it mildly, not fans of Ted Turner's, so I'll bet they'd be tickled to have an excuse to start taking their properties out of Atlanta and moving them to somewhere closer to New York and where they live, like CT or Westchester or North Jersey.

If Ted Turner was a factor, they wouldn't have moved to Georgia in the first place.  Moreover, there's a lot more to Georgia than Atlanta, and a lot more to the ATL than Ted Turner,

It'd be unbelievably cool if they ever filmed in the actual Sleepy Hollow, which is lovely, devoid of Spanish moss, and has four actual seasons that would come across most excellently. That's one of the things I love about Elementary: they're all over the Boroughs of NYC:  last season they shot at the Bronx Zoo during/after a big snowstorm. Seeing the places--and weather--with which I grew up warms the cockles of my otherwise cold little heart. Location shooting gives legitimacy and depth to movies and shows, although it certainly has its challenges. I'm sure SH wouldn't do it, though--way too expensive.

Any number of locations in Connecticut would be good stand-ins for southern Westchester County's Hudson River Valley towns. Lots of historic sites and a couple of rivers that could sub for the Hudson in a pinch. Plenty of excellent spots up and down I95 on the eastern side of the state. Western Connecticut is gorgeous, too--but snowy!

Back on topic: I know there are reasons for the ratings slump this week, but that seems like a pretty big drop. Did other shows suffer similarly?

(Edited to change the wrong Holmes show to the right Holmes show. Carry on!)

Edited by spaceghostess

If Ted Turner was a factor, they wouldn't have moved to Georgia in the first place.  Moreover, there's a lot more to Georgia than Atlanta, and a lot more to the ATL than Ted Turner,

The reason that the properties Turner brought with him to Time Warner are in GA is, largely, because Turner founded them and domiciled them where he lived. He was forced out of Time Warner in a really ugly corporate battle. The rest of Time Warner is up north.

I bluntly don't think they would have been so quick to make that threat if they didn't already want to move.

Edited by Julia

Back on topic: I know there are reasons for the ratings slump this week, but that seems like a pretty big drop. Did other shows suffer similarly?

From what I read other shows stayed on point. Second Chance maintain viewership from the previous week as did Grimm.

TVBYTHENUMBERS - is saying the showing is likely to be cancelled.

It'd be unbelievably cool if they ever filmed in the actual Sleepy Hollow, which is lovely, devoid of Spanish moss, and has four actual seasons that would come across most excellently. That's one of the things I love about Sherlock: they're all over the Boroughs of NYC:  last season they shot at the Bronx Zoo during/after a big snowstorm. Seeing the places--and weather--with which I grew up warms the cockles of my otherwise cold little heart. Location shooting gives legitimacy and depth to movies and shows, although it certainly has its challenges. I'm sure SH wouldn't do it, though--way too expensive.

Any number of locations in Connecticut would be good stand-ins for southern Westchester County's Hudson River Valley towns. Lots of historic sites and a couple of rivers that could sub for the Hudson in a pinch. Plenty of excellent spots up and down I95 on the eastern side of the state. Western Connecticut is gorgeous, too--but snowy!

Yes, Arrow and Supernatural took big hits too. Too bad Fox owns SH because it really should just have a home on the CW because CW doesn't mind the lower ratings. Then I can have my SH/SPN crossover and OH MY GODS I need Ichabod and Dean Winchester to work a case together almost more than I want Ichabbie.  I'd probably start shipping IchaDean in 3 seconds flat. or is it Deanabod? I like DeanAbod. 

Of course, he'd probably be tempted to hit on Abbie too....or Sam would.  Also Cas and Ichabod would be hilarious. There would be SO MANY misunderstandings.  Ah...I need this

sorry I digress

Edited by catrox14

If Fox decides to move out of Atlanta (due to Georgia's stupid-ass Governor violating LGBT rights), that could hurt even more. Having to move again sure isn't going to help.

Wasn't one of the reasons they went to Georgia in the first place because of tax credits? If Fox does pull out and SH loses that, it's not going to be good for the show's bottom line.

(I'd be sad if this was the straw that broke SH's back, but I appreciate Fox and others taking a stand against this discriminatory bill.)

• Love 1

Wasn't one of the reasons they went to Georgia in the first place because of tax credits? If Fox does pull out and SH loses that, it's not going to be good for the show's bottom line.

(I'd be sad if this was the straw that broke SH's back, but I appreciate Fox and others taking a stand against this discriminatory bill.)

I joke about SH going to the CW...but they could move production to Vancouver...which might actually be a better stand in for SH than Georgia.  I mean the places they can make me believe is the midwest and the Rocky Mountains are suprisingly NOT as bad as they cold be. Also, Fox films "Lucifer" on the same lot as Supernatural and Legends of Tomorrow...I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'..

The tax incentives would be YUGE.

And then SH could use the ubiquitous stable of SFF guest stars that pop up everywhere in shows filmed in Vancouver.

From what I read other shows stayed on point. Second Chance maintain viewership from the previous week as did Grimm.

Yeah, there were only a few shows that had new episodes on Friday so it's kinda hard to gauge the meaning , but the drop wasn't across the board. Second Chance and Caught on Camera with Nick Canon (which is in the same time slot as SH) stayed about even. Grimm lost a little bit, about 5%. Sleepy dropped 22%. Only 20/20 fell that much, but that's a news magazine at 10 pm and I think its ratings swing a lot normally, so it's not really the same thing. Of course, these are only the preliminary numbers, so the finals might be different. Edited by cynic

I joke about SH going to the CW...but they could move production to Vancouver...which might actually be a better stand in for SH than Georgia. I mean the places they can make me believe is the midwest and the Rocky Mountains are suprisingly NOT as bad as they cold be. Also, Fox films "Lucifer" on the same lot as Supernatural and Legends of Tomorrow...I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'..

The tax incentives would be YUGE.

Well the governor announced that he's vetoing the religious freedom bill. Thank goodness. So if SH is renewed it is likely to continue filming in Georgia.

• Love 2

That's one of the things I love about Sherlock: they're all over the Boroughs of NYC:

I think you mean ElementarySherlock is the British show.

Well the governor announced that he's vetoing the religious freedom bill. Thank goodness. So if SH is renewed it is likely to continue filming in Georgia.

Money speaks louder than religious nut-cases.  Thank goodness in this case.

• Love 4

Final Adjusted Ratings for Friday, March 25th.

Demo adjusted up to a 0.7 demo. Good.

I'm glad it adjusted up, but it made a 0.7 by the skin of its teeth. It got a 0.66 and rounded up. It's still a series low and a 14% drop from the week before.

Since moving to Fridays, the ratings have been 0.88, 0.76, 0.75, 0.72, 0.78, 0.77, and 0.66. Hopefully these last two episodes will rebound, because it's not looking good.

I'm glad it adjusted up, but it made a 0.7 by the skin of its teeth. It got a 0.66 and rounded up. It's still a series low and a 14% drop from the week before.

Since moving to Fridays, the ratings have been 0.88, 0.76, 0.75, 0.72, 0.78, 0.77, and 0.66. Hopefully these last two episodes will rebound, because it's not looking good.

Sleepy Hollow needs to be on CW. Or at least on SyFy.

Sleepy Hollow needs to be on CW. Or at least on SyFy.

I'd prefer SyFy over CW. We think Abbie got pushed aside in S2 that would have been nothing compared to what the CW would've done if SH was on that network. Abbie probably wouldn't even be on the show anymore or if she was she'd be reoccurring to the leads who would be Katrina and Crane. CW doesn't do WOC most especially not in lead roles.

SyFy has done a much better job on this front.

• Love 2

GET. OUT.

Kidding. Sorta (with all love). Yes and No. Size of cast, actor salaries, location shooting (SH films in Georgia with lots of tax incentives), day of week ratings, TV buzz, FX budget, and behind the scenes ass-kissing all probably influence the ratings numbers. There are a myriad of things that will decide SH's ultimate fate.

Let's put it this way - two years ago, a fantastic show called Forever lasted only one year on ABC. It's ratings, FOX would KILL to have. I don't think one of their shows this year - save X-Files - are even close to matching Forever's ratings #'s. Yet because of whatever stupid reasons, it was cancelled (laments this). So unfortunately, justice does not play fair. In all rights, SH should be renewed. But like Forever, the beautiful Brits on America's TV land keep getting axed by stupid execs in America-land....

Oh, man. I'm still sad about "Forever." What a great show. Much better than Lucifer, which I could only stand for 2 or 3 episodes. 

I've had people ask me, "Sleepy Hollow still comes on?" These are people who watch FOX. I know there is some amount of promotion out there, but not enough, IMO.

• Love 2

CW doesn't do WOC most especially not in lead roles.

So Jane the Virgin is a mass delusion? And Crazy Ex Girfriend is one of the most effortlessly diverse shows on tv, there are women of color (at lest three), men of color (including the Asian romantic lead), and a bisexual man, and a gay dude. I agree they need to work on getting black women equal time, but I think the CW largely tries for diversity even though it fails a great deal of the time. Case in point I love iZombie but last nights episode was problematic as fuck from both a race/class perspective. The less said about how Bonnie has been treated on TVD the better. 

Oh, man. I'm still sad about "Forever."

Me too, I loved the entirely unique father/son vibe of the younger Ioan as Dad and the elderly Judd Hirsch as the son. And I loved the female lead. 

As for SH I'm still weirdly optimistic about it's renewal chances, which probably means I am headed for brutal disappointment come the season finale. 

Edited by blixie
  • Love 1

Oh no. Did iZombie step in it again last night? I basically stopped watching when they had that awful jail episode with one of the worse black stereotypes I've ever seen. Oddly enough, they seem fine with male PoC characters.

Overall, I do think the CW makes some effort, but it often falls short, particularly with black females.

I have really been enjoying the diversity of SyFy lately on shows like The Expanse, Killjoys, Dark Matter etc.

• Love 1

So Jane the Virgin is a mass delusion? And Crazy Ex Girfriend is one of the most effortlessly diverse shows on tv, there are women of color (at lest three), men of color (including the Asian romantic lead), and a bisexual man, and a gay dude. I agree they need to work on getting black women equal time, but I think the CW largely tries for diversity even though it fails a great deal of the time. Case in point I love iZombie but last nights episode was problematic as fuck from both a race/class perspective. The less said about how Bonnie has been treated on TVD the better.

Let me make this point blank clear - The CW doesn't do BLACK women well at all. It may put them on the show as "lead female actress" but then give all of the screen time to other white women on the show. Look at what's happened to Candice Patton on The Flash and come back and talk to me about how they treat black women.

Most of The CW's "diversity" is tokenism. They do it to get points, but usually marginalize and sideline characters of color, leave them in horrible tropes and stereotypes, or barely write for them. Especially with black women.

It's really, really bad. RAGE inducing bad. We would end up with Katrina Part 2 on The CW.

• Love 5

^^^Aww, phoenics, don't be so negative.  Even if Abbie got shoved aside, she might end up with her own spinoff.  Sure, it would be animated, with a "season" of six five-minute episodes, but wouldn't we be grateful for it?  O.o

• Love 3

SyFy has done a much better job on this front.

I have really been enjoying the diversity of SyFy lately on shows like The Expanse, Killjoys, Dark Matter etc.

Boy howdy,The Expanse was harrowing, especially the fate of Julia Mao.  

Don't forget my favorite black woman on SyFy, Roberta Warren on Z Nation.It's a cheezy show (it's from The Asylum, creators of the Sharknado series) but it fun cheezy, and Roberta is the undisputed leader of the group.  I can't wait for it to come back.

Most of The CW's "diversity" is tokenism.

Most of television is tokenism.  They'll hire 1 black man, and one fairly light-skinned "woman of color" (what I call "NTBHBS" -- Not Too Black, Halle Berry Style), and say "see, aren't we diverse!!!!". (See blixie's examples for, well, examples).  The new Agents of SHIELD spin-off will have one white woman lead and one white male lead, one light man of color, one light woman of color and one black man.  Diversity!

• Love 2

TVBYTHENUMBERS - is saying the showing is likely to be cancelled.

You're right.  Except for one brief period, they haven't wavered either.  But I do wonder.  If they do cancel what will they replace it with, outside of those reality cooking shows FOX seems to love on Friday's night?  There's always a  chance FOX could spend money on developing a new show, only to have it pull the same numbers.  Lucifer, I believe, dropped faster than SH did when SH was on Monday's.  The truth is, TV watching is now more "niche" and the numbers of old will never be seen again.  I thought The CW was quite bold in renewing everything still left on their slate.  They now have an extra year to make future network plans without the worry of developing new shows while they do.  At the moment, most of us would be happy with just one more season of Sleepy Hollow.  But it's all in FOX's hands.  Personally, I'm hoping they prove TVByTheNumbers wrong.  Some of their posters are a tad too smug about wanting SH cancelled for me LOL. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 3

You're right.  Except for one brief period, they haven't wavered either.  But I do wonder.  If they do cancel what will they replace it with, outside of those reality cooking shows FOX seems to love on Friday's night?  There's always a  chance FOX could spend money on developing a new show, only to have it pull the same numbers.  Lucifer, I believe, dropped faster than SH did when SH was on Monday's.  The truth is, TV watching is now more "niche" and the numbers of old will never be seen again.  I thought The CW was quite bold in renewing everything still left on their slate.  They now have an extra year to make future network plans without the worry of developing new shows while they do.  At the moment, most of us would be happy with just one more season of Sleepy Hollow.  But it's all in FOX's hands.  Personally, I'm hoping they prove TVByTheNumbers wrong.  Some of their posters are a tad too smug about wanting SH cancelled for me LOL.

How accurate is TVByTheNumbers? I think a couple other sites have Sleepy Hollow listed as going either way.

I think a couple other sites have Sleepy Hollow listed as going either way.

TV Grim Reaper still has it as "uncertain" but that's still from last week.  On March 26th, he Tweeted

#SleepyHollow is a s3 show produced by Fox. It won't have the 66eps that guarantee s4 renewal by the #SyndicationGods, but there's help.

At the end of this season,. it will have 51 episodes.  If we get one more season, we're over the hump.

TV Grim Reaper still has it as "uncertain" but that's still from last week.  On March 26th, he Tweeted

At the end of this season,. it will have 51 episodes.  If we get one more season, we're over the hump.

Maybe if some other network would pick SH up? But I doubt that.

Interesting. It would need at least a 15 episode season, so FOX could consider a slightly shorter season. It does well very overseas, plus, so far it's steady on Fridays. FOX will crunch the numbers and decide whether renewal is profitable. If so, season four.

You're right.  Except for one brief period, they haven't wavered either.  But I do wonder.  If they do cancel what will they replace it with, outside of those reality cooking shows FOX seems to love on Friday's night?  There's always a  chance FOX could spend money on developing a new show, only to have it pull the same numbers. 

According to TVLine and Variety, FOX has several shows in the pipeline that could be picked up this Fall. So I think there's always something that could potentially replace a show like SH that's struggling.

Like others have already stated its really going to come down to the ROI FOX can get out of renewing SH verses replacing it with something else.

We've always complained about the lack of promotion of the show. Crazy enough, this morning, when I was watching my local morning show I saw a TV ad for tonight's episode. Imagine my utter shock! It could've been more strategically placed though. Don't know how many of their target audience would see an ad for the show at 8 in the morning when everyone is already off to work and school. But, beggars can't be choicy I guess.

(edited)

Yeah I'm having flashbacks to S4 of Community, it wasn't at enough episodes for syndication (and Community was actually an expensive sitcom to produce), and EVERYONE thought it was dead in the water, but NBC renewed because it was close enough to syndication to make sense to move forward with a S4, and then they fired Dan Harmon because they only renewed it for the money potential of Syndication they no longer gave two fucks about it's quality. But they were closer than SH is, so IDK. 

Edited by blixie
(edited)

FOX wants every penny Sleepy Hollow makes for themselves.  They've long put behind their kindergarten selves and are not in the "sharing" mood LOL.

It does well very overseas, plus, so far it's steady on Fridays. FOX will crunch the numbers and decide whether renewal is profitable.

Making money overseas is a huge deal these days.  It's why movies that flop domestically get sequels, the studio more than made up the numbers with overseas sales.  From what I read SH does make money for FOX in the international market, it's probably why it managed to snag S3.  OTOH, a recent article in either Deadline or The Hollywood Reporter stated "Empire" has been a huge flop for FOX overseas, so that show's profit is from domestic sales only.  Not saying that means SH will be renewed, however, but a S4 will be all about FOX getting the Benjamins. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 2

Even if Fox was willing to share, who would you want to get it?  Not CW -- their practices with black *as opposed to people of [light] color) actors and actresses is hardly encouraging for the Mills sisters.  SyFy is one of the more truly diverse networks these days -- both The Expanse and Z Nation have black female leads

The other major networks aren't much better.  Of the shows beginning in 2016, The Family was one of the very few with a secondary black female character.

• Love 1

Even if Fox was willing to share, who would you want to get it?  Not CW -- their practices with black *as opposed to people of [light] color) actors and actresses is hardly encouraging for the Mills sisters.  SyFy is one of the more truly diverse networks these days -- both The Expanse and Z Nation have black female leads

The other major networks aren't much better.  Of the shows beginning in 2016, The Family was one of the very few with a secondary black female character.

I'd say send it to Amazon or Netflix. Longmire lives on Netflix now, terrible EU/US procedural Crossing Lines is also on Netflix now.

I'd say send it to Amazon or Netflix. Longmire lives on Netflix now, terrible EU/US procedural Crossing Lines is also on Netflix now.

Either of those would be great--production would be as good, if not better, and edgier things are possible without 8pm network restrictions.

• Love 1