Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings, Scheduling, and Watching for Cancellation/Renewal

*whisper:  I miss Minority Report.*  *sheds a single tear*

I liked it too. :(

Looking at the ratings taken out to another decimal place makes Monday's number looks even worse. It got a 0.70, so it barely got in the sevens. Also, last week got a 0.88, so it was only a 0.9 due to rounding.

It is my understanding that the producers of The Good Wife ended the show voluntarily, having always perceived it as a seven-year arc.

The showrunners were leaving, but it was up in the air whether it would continue without them. CBS didn't have to cancel it.

*whisper:  I miss Minority Report.*  *sheds a single tear*

It got really good in the last few episodes.  But Meagan Good is no Nicole Beharie, in looks or, vastly different, acting,  And we can't have two science-fiction/fantasy shows headlined by black women! That's madness!  Madness, I tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 6

If they would advertise some Ichabbie stuff that would drag a whole lot of fans out of the woodwork just to see what was up with that.

But even on tumblr a lot of fans are jaded. It's sad what this show did to itself.

• Love 2

I agree. If the show is truly going there, they should play it up in promos and see what happens. But yeah, the show has lost a lot of trust. I'm not sure that anything short of an outright profession of love or a kiss will be enough to convince people that this isn't just more false teasing. How many times can we squee over witness bonds and brief physical contact that may or may not be platonic?

In contrast, Lucifer is just four episodes in and they're obviously all about their leads being an OTP. They're dropping anvils over there. There's been accidental nakedness, getting mistaken for a couple, other people commenting to each of them that they like each other etc. Not that I like their approach more, but it just highlights how Ichabbie shippers have tried to maintain excitement on crumbs over 2.5 years, so no wonder they're jaded.

• Love 1

In contrast, Lucifer is just four episodes in and they're obviously all about their leads being an OTP. They're dropping anvils over there. There's been accidental nakedness, getting mistaken for a couple, other people commenting to each of them that they like each other etc. Not that I like their approach more, but it just highlights how Ichabbie shippers have tried to maintain excitement on crumbs over 2.5 years, so no wonder they're jaded.

Well to be fair, SH also did some of the same things. Crane and Abbie were both practically naked by S1E3 (Sandman) and were mistaken for husband and wife in S2E5 (Spellcaster). Granted the anvils weren't thrown like on Lucifer but that was in part because of the "great love" that was supposed to exist between Crane and Katrina. The writers were never going to ramp up Ichabbie with anvils, for various reasons, but most especially with the wife still hanging around. 

It's unfortunate that the show has been reduced to shipping. Don't get me wrong, I see the heat between Crane and Abbie, and would not at all be upset if they're explored as a couple. But this show had so much potential with it's mythology. I recently went back and watched some of S1 and crazy enough S2 episodes and found there was a lot of good stuff there with regards to the mythology of the show. Now we have Pandora, who was intriguing until she brought forth her whiny god husband, but I'm just not seeing the depth and potential that we had with Moloch and the Horseman, with either of them. 

All that said, I do agree. If FOX would actually promote the show, not just Ichabbie, viewership would go up. The ratings weren't completely in the toilet at the end of last season. A lot of people were still watching, but when the show returned this season they barely promoted the move to Thursday nights and have not done any promotion for the move to Fridays. So while I do think many moved on from the show after the fiasco that was last season. I think many also thought the show was already cancelled due to little or no promotion being done around it's return. 

• Love 2
In contrast, Lucifer is just four episodes in and they're obviously all about their leads being an OTP. They're dropping anvils over there. There's been accidental nakedness, getting mistaken for a couple, other people commenting to each of them that they like each other etc.

Yes, but it's comparing apples to oranges in terms of characters. Lucifer's character is deliberately sexual, and he's always trying to seduce people or freely offers up sex for her own amusement and as a reward. Sex is a fun human actvity that he revels in, and has no qualms about when, where, who and how many.

Also, he's the Devil. They may be attracted to each other (have you SEEN Tom Ellis?) but in true form, he's a red-skinned, glowy eye creepy looking demonish fallen angel who is The Devil. I don't think the show will have their main actress/protagonist actually have sex with the Devil.

Crane, on the other hand is an 18th century gentlemen, with all the programming a gentlemen of that era would have. Doesn't go around with his clothes off (c'mon show!!), trying to sex any woman he sees, he is reserved and maintains that removed dignity a gentlemen of his breeding would have. There is a reason why simple handholding was considered a vastly intimate gesture, you would probably never kiss in public, and all of the other social rules he grew up with, and is starting to shed. Two competely different people. And Abbie isn't/wasn't ready to have any relationship with him until recently. Also, the marriage thing. So many barriers, while Lucifer has NO barriers. Hell, he can even read your desires before you are ready to say them!

Ratings:

You know there is a possibility of renewal. My cynical side tells me these new "developments" mean that they know already in advance of the end, therefore are moving to a natural series end resolution, but there are a lot of shows that are not doing too well in FOX-land.

Lucifer is not doing too bad, but the X-Files will be done and probably not coming back. Many shows have much lower ratings than a Friday-slot SH. Much lower. Gotham isn't too bad, but has been dropping. American Idol is gone, which means a huge loss of ratings and need to fill that air time. Who knows how many Pilots FOX will pick up? Lots of things to consider and lots of factors to look at before deciding.

• Love 1

Yeah, American Idol leaves a huge hole in the schedule and the new sitcoms are doing pretty poorly.

SpoilerTV has downgraded their rating to likely to be cancelled

Yeah, just saw that. You're killing me, SpoilerTV. Funny thing is that it barely changed from last week. Well, if anything, let's hope for a good series end.

Well to be fair, SH also did some of the same things. Crane and Abbie were both practically naked by S1E3 (Sandman) and were mistaken for husband and wife in S2E5 (Spellcaster). Granted the anvils weren't thrown like on Lucifer but that was in part because of the "great love" that was supposed to exist between Crane and Katrina. The writers were never going to ramp up Ichabbie with anvils, for various reasons, but most especially with the wife still hanging around.

When you ask yourself if the Lucifer show would have ever put in a "Katrina" character to block the main ship and then think about SH, you realize that the reasons for putting Katrina in were basically all bullshit. Katrina should have been killed off in the pilot as planned - but TPTB (Goffman) fell in love with KW and tried to remake the show with her as the lead, because he just couldn't accept NB as lead.

The decision to have Katrina there can't be looked at in a vacuum. There are strong racially charged reasons why she even existed on the show in the first place and reasons why nothing like her exists on Lucifer with two white leads.

The Flash is similar - in that it couldn't help but to have a spare white female actress around "just in case" fans were too racist to accept CP as the female lead.

• Love 5

I am going to watch SH until the very end because of NB and TM. I have watched S1 more than twice. I have only watched the very first episode of S2 more than once. When S2E1 premiered, I just kept saying: there is something off, and I just can't put my finger on it. However, as the season progressed I knew what was wrong.

I saw an interview with the cast on YouTube before S2 began where TM was sitting next to KW and NB was sitting far to the end. I felt then that something had changed, but I waited it out. Yep. GFD to epic proportions. It was all kinds of wrong, but I kept watching and hoping for a S3.

Well, thank you, you dedicated SleepyHeads, SH got a S3.

I want Ichabbie, eventually. I believe it's going to happen. I heard a listener of The Tea Podcast thinks Sophie is Ichabbie's daughter. I'm hanging on to that, too.

I have always believed that Abbie, deep down in the recesses of her heart, knows there is more to witnessing between her and Ichabod. However, S2 got in the way of the story going in that direction.

There you go, spoiling things with facts again!

Fox also owned Roswell and it moved to two different networks during its time. I still think we could try. Better yet - I bet SH would have been successful on ABC because they would have let NB lead. I still remember an article asking if Nicole Beharie was the next Kerry Washington - right when SH became this massive hit.

I don't think Lucifer has the numbers that S1 SH had. Does it? Goffman really destroyed something amazing. I hope his career falls apart.

Fox also owned Roswell and it moved to two different networks during its time. I still think we could try. Better yet - I bet SH would have been successful on ABC because they would have let NB lead. I still remember an article asking if Nicole Beharie was the next Kerry Washington - right when SH became this massive hit

Roswell was on the WB though then moved to UPN. It never aired on FOX, which might be why it was able to move to another network when things didn't work out on the WB. The fans did a hell of a campaign to get it picked up by UPN which also helped and I think such small networks being involved with this move also tremendously helped that situation. With SH starting out on the network that owns it, I think that network - FOX might actually lose money if they let someone else air the show? Unless it went to FX? If aired on another network wouldn't that network have to get a share of the show's profits?

That said, I think another network picking up SH is a long shot. And honestly I'm not too keen on this idea if FOX doesn't want to continue with it. It's been my experience that when this happens the show further deteriorates. Roswell's final season on UPN was horrible IMHO, only a shell of its former self. Medium and Southland were others that changed networks and weren't nearly as good after the change.

I think if the show is going to end, which it will at some point whether this season or next, I'd rather it finish up on FOX. They seem to be trying to get their act together. A move could completely change the dynamics of the show and not necessarily for the better.

Edited by Enero

Aw, Roswell. There's another show with tons of BTS drama. I loved the first season, but it was unrecognizable by the end. At least they were able to end it on a somewhat satisfying note.

I'm hoping that SH is prepared to give fans some closure at the end of this season just in case. If they end on some cliffhanger knowing what the ratings are like, I'm going to be irritated.

But hey, with the good buzz around tonight's episode, maybe we'll get a bit of a bump.

• Love 1

Aw, Roswell. There's another show with tons of BTS drama. I loved the first season, but it was unrecognizable by the end. At least they were able to end it on a somewhat satisfying note.

I'm hoping that SH is prepared to give fans some closure at the end of this season just in case. If they end on some cliffhanger knowing what the ratings are like, I'm going to be irritated.

But hey, with the good buzz around tonight's episode, maybe we'll get a bit of a bump.

Off topic:  Roswell was my favorite show back then.  I am still angry with Katherine Heigl (refused to watch Grey's because of her and my knowledge of her behind the scenes shenanigans that destroyed the show over time - so glad she vindicated me with her stupid behavior on Grey's and afterwards).

On topic:  I really hope that they know whether or not things will end or continue and wrap the show up into a wonderful gift for the fans that remained.  I'm sad when I think about how far the show fell in ratings.  I mean - didn't they have like over 10 million in the pilot?  And look at where we are now!  A lot of that is really on Fox - they refused to advertise and pimp the show after S1!  I mean they had a HIT on their hands and had averaged out at about 7 million per episode - 7 million!!  

And then - NO PROMOTION!  Hardly any promos - no marathons on TV to help viewers catch up... just nothing to the level that they should have done stuff.  

Fox is stupid.  The only show they really pimp is Empire - but that show is already successful - why not use some money to pimp other shows - especially ones where fans may not realize the show is back?!  

Live +7 DVR Numbers for SH. It comes in 24th, out of the top 25 TV shows with the Largest Total Viewing Numbers Increase, going from 3.129 million viewers to 4.915 million. It didn't make the top 25 though for demo. With they would show a list of ALL TV shows. This would be the episode increase for S03:E09: One Life.

Here is a better list from TVByTheNumbers.

Top Live +7 gains for the top 25 shows (including ties) for the week of Feb 1st-Feb 7th (One Life). SH tied for 25th, going from a 0.9 to a 1.5. SH tied for 25th, going from a 0.9 to a 1.5. SH is tied for 13th, with highest percentage gains for adults 18-49 at 67%

Live +7 DVR Numbers for SH. It comes in 24th, out of the top 25 TV shows with the Largest Total Viewing Numbers Increase, going from 3.129 million viewers to 4.915 million. It didn't make the top 25 though for demo. With they would show a list of ALL TV shows. This would be the episode increase for S03:E09: One Life.

Here is a better list from TVByTheNumbers.

Top Live +7 gains for the top 25 shows (including ties) for the week of Feb 1st-Feb 7th (One Life). SH tied for 25th, going from a 0.9 to a 1.5. SH tied for 25th, going from a 0.9 to a 1.5. SH is tied for 13th, with highest percentage gains for adults 18-49 at 67%

Sorry to sound stupid, but is this good or bad?

Sorry to sound stupid, but is this good or bad?

Depends on what FOX thinks is good, or is acceptable for SH. Brooklyn Nine-Nine, already renewed for next year, pulled a 1.6 total demo. SH, on the so-called "death slot" of Friday, managed a 1.5. Also consider the weirdness of number. B-99 maxed out at 3.5 million viewers, yet earned a larger demo. SH had 1.5 million more, maxing at 4.9 million. New Girl maxed out at 4 million, yet got a total demo of 2.1. Unfortunately, demo matters.

Considering the lack of promo and the fact that FOX owns the show, maybe they might be happy with this. American Idol is gone, X-Files may/may not be renewed, and it depends on pilot pickups, how other shows like Gotham and Lucifer do.

Basically, it's hard to say. The numbers sound decent to me, but that's up to FOX and what they ultimately expect to see.

• Love 1

It is a rating the would sustain a show on the CW and maybe it will be a good 'Friday' rating. Perhaps the move to Atlanta will lower the production costs to give us one more season or even a partial season to wrap the series properly.

• Love 1

I tell ya - the move to Friday seemed "bad", but the numbers are unbelievably consistent. It's a devoted bunch of us watching. C'mon FOX, you know this is a good thing (yeah, yeah, I have hope)

For considering some of Fox's shows get .8 and .9s on Monday through Thursday, you would think having a show that can hold a .7 on a Friday is reasonable

A few things to note from Fox, Bones was renewed for a 12th and final season, but it was only for 12 episodes. So I don't think that would negatively affect SH's chances of getting renewed too much as they will still need to fill time during the TV season and for the following year.

Also Rosewood, which seems to be in good shape, got a .9 when it aired without Empire last week. It airs the next few weeks without Empire and if it slides anymore, it could potentially open up a slot for Sleepy Hollow. While I still feel it could get canceled, Sleepy Hollow has more of a chance than I would have thought when they announced the Friday move.

• Love 1

For considering some of Fox's shows get .8 and .9s on Monday through Thursday, you would think having a show that can hold a .7 on a Friday is reasonable

A few things to note from Fox, Bones was renewed for a 12th and final season, but it was only for 12 episodes. So I don't think that would negatively affect SH's chances of getting renewed too much as they will still need to fill time during the TV season and for the following year.

Also Rosewood, which seems to be in good shape, got a .9 when it aired without Empire last week. It airs the next few weeks without Empire and if it slides anymore, it could potentially open up a slot for Sleepy Hollow. While I still feel it could get canceled, Sleepy Hollow has more of a chance than I would have thought when they announced the Friday move.

vanarnd1, I agree.  Before the end of last year, I had read somewhere that one of the FOX executives said that if they were not going to renew SH that they would inform the crew and cast in plenty of time so that they would have enough time to properly send off the series that would be fulfilling to fans who have been there from the beginning and that they would NOT do a cliffhanger ending. Juxtapose that to an interview with TV Guide several weeks ago where showrunner Cliff Campbell stated that the 2nd half of S3 would be dealing with the aftermath of Abbie being rescued and would lead to a cliffhanger ending setting up the architecture for season 4. The fact that we are 5 episodes away from the end of S3 and have not heard about cancellation I think is in Sleepy Hollow's favor for renewal. So if what the FOX executive stated and what the showrunner stated are both true then maybe they have been informed that S4 is a go which would be a great thing to hear. Maybe FOX is going to let SH settle into the Friday @ 8pm time slot for the fall season for 2016-2017. I hope so. All this moving around from Monday to Thursday to Friday all in one season hasn't helped either. I think the episodes by and large especially the 2nd half of this season have been stellar and continue to get better.

I guess as the old saying goes "no news is good news". 

Cliff Campbell stated that the 2nd half of S3 would be dealing with the aftermath of Abbie being rescued and would lead to a cliffhanger ending setting up the architecture for season 4.

I just hope he doesn't carry THO into Season 4.  Not near so bad as the Hat-Stand (Peter Menach can at least act), but I'm ready to be done with him.

Can I take the fact that the FOX promo is saying "Only two more episodes until the season finale" as a glimmer of hope that maybe they won't cancel? The ratings seem to be holding and not too shabby for a Friday night. C'mon FOX, if you renew SH, I might forgive you a bit for Firefly.

• Love 3

Can I take the fact that the FOX promo is saying "Only two more episodes until the season finale" as a glimmer of hope that maybe they won't cancel? The ratings seem to be holding and not too shabby for a Friday night. C'mon FOX, if you renew SH, I might forgive you a bit for Firefly.

I remember TNT promoting the Leverage "Season Finale" which aired almost two months after it was officially cancelled. So...

If there is any justice in the world, SH had better be renewed. Why?

FOX just renewed Boorklyn Nine-Nine. Let's do a recent comparison, shall we?

Tues March 1st - B99 -  0.8 demo, 1.88 million viewers.

Fri March 4th - SH - 0.7 demo, 2.96 million viewers

Tues March 15th - B99 - 0.8 demo, 1.95 million viewers

Fri March 19th - SH - 0.8 demo, 2.81 million viewers

And SH is on a FRIDAY, the so-called death knell for a TV show. Don't disappoint me and be stupid, FOX. Renew the bloody show.

• Love 3