Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

Nittany cougar: for a second, I was a tad bit upset when I read your post.  Then I had to read it again since I didn't really want to have any reason to root against Iga next month.  Call me petty, but I was all like, "Swiatek is great, but no thank you on her winning."

Really if Williams has company (French & Wimbledon combo) that's not a big deal, all time or thus far this millennium.  I'd probably say "Aww, Serena's feat is no longer exclusive!" if it was all time, but sounds like it hasn't happened within the past quarter century.  Nothing unprecedented since Day One.

Therefore, I can root for Swiatek going forward.  Though if Petra is part of it, I'll be undecided.  Barring something sudden & random (which has been the case a ton so far), it should be a great event.  Of course, upsets happen

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Glad Serena is out, cuz there is too much focus on her when she's in. She indicated she might play US Open. Maybe she'll do better on the faster courts, but I didn't see anything that demonstrated she could win another major in her present shape. 

I noticed MacEnroe has not been at the desk since day 1. I wonder if it's because first thing he did was talk about the Russian players even though, as he said "we are not supposed to talk about it."

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I'm pretty sure he and Patrick called Rafa's match yesterday for ESPN. 

Yeah, he's calling matches, he just has not been at the "news" desk discussing things like he was the first day. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Will she try again at the US Open, or is she finished? 

I have a feeling that if she is finished, she'd like to end her career in the U.S. at the Open.   She certainly would get a great sendoff no matter how far in the tournament she'd get.  

• Like 1
  • Love 7
49 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I have a feeling that if she is finished, she'd like to end her career in the U.S. at the Open.   She certainly would get a great sendoff no matter how far in the tournament she'd get.  

That makes sense to me as that is where it all began, with her first major title win (defeating Martina Hingis at the tender age of 17). 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I like Iga a lot, but I would really love to see Petra Kvitova make the comeback by winning her third Wimbledon title.  After what she went through with the attack on her hand, it would be amazing.  She won a warmup event so I don't think it's out of the question. 

Sad about Felix AA going out already.

Glad to see Alcarez is still in the event after the loss of so many promising players early on.  Carlos does bring the excitement.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
On 6/29/2022 at 8:20 AM, Crashcourse said:

I have no doubt she'll get a great sendoff, but for me I'll never be over her behavior at the US Open Williams/Osaka final.  (And I can't wait to read the inevitable tell-all biographies from fellow tour players.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

Brad Gilbert is driving me crazy with his nonstop commentary.  Let it sit a minute Brad.  

Chris Evert has returned to ESPN following treatment for ovarian cancer.  She seems very well-loved by the whole ESPN crew.  Kris Mckendry was on the verge of tears. 

Evert is calling the match  between Diane Parry/ Ons Jabeur.  She said that grass is Ons Jabeur's best surface.  Ons has never gone past the QF at Wimbledon.

Chris Fowler and Chris Evert suggested  that Bublik of Kazahkstan was tanking his match against Francis Tiafoe.  That's quite an accusation.

Tiafoe won the match.  There are eight U.S. men in the round of 32.  Wow.

Edited to add a taste of Bublik's play.  He was doing underarm serves. I am surprised that a staid place like Wimbledon allows these antics.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

Brad Gilbert is driving me crazy with his nonstop commentary.  Let it sit a minute Brad.  

I like Tiafoe, but Brad kept saying Frances Frances Frances Frances Frances nonstop, and it was driving me crazy. 

Edited by Crashcourse
Ok, it's Frances, not Francis, lol
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

Does he underhand serve just to mix it up and theoretically confuse his opponent or was he injured in some way and that's all he could muster?

Wimbledon's tweet implies that he might be known for them. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Does he underhand serve just to mix it up and theoretically confuse his opponent or was he injured in some way and that's all he could muster?

During the broadcast, Brad Gilbert said that he was doing it to mess with Tiafoe so that Tiafoe would be flustered or confused.  Brad said that he wanted Tiafoe to think it was all he could do, and then he would launch a surprise rally at the end.

I didn't see the match but Bublik is certainly known for...shall we say uneven play to the max.   And he has admitted not loving tennis.  As far as I know underarm serves are not technically against the rules though. 

I did see Alcarez again today and it's stunning how quickly he is adapting his game to grass.  I can see him someday turning into an absolutely dominant player without ever becoming boring.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

I've never understood why underhand serves are considered antics, but drop shops are admired.  I'd put them in the same class of shots.  What am I missing?

Drop shots are difficult to do effectively. Underhand serves are...underhand serves.

• Love 4

Why would he deliberately tank his game? What is in it for him if he loses?

I mean, it's not like the 2012 olympics with the badminton players where throwing matches somehow gave them an advance?

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/02/sports/olympics/olympic-badminton-players-disqualified-for-throwing-matches.html

"four women’s doubles teams were disqualified. But the circumstances were complicated by the fact that the rules of the sport seemed to give the athletes an incentive to lose. The players were found to have tried to lose their matches intentionally, apparently because they had determined that a loss would allow them to play a weaker opponent in the next round."

• Useful 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Why would he deliberately tank his game? What is in it for him if he loses?

I mean, it's not like the 2012 olympics with the badminton players where throwing matches somehow gave them an advance?

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/02/sports/olympics/olympic-badminton-players-disqualified-for-throwing-matches.html

"four women’s doubles teams were disqualified. But the circumstances were complicated by the fact that the rules of the sport seemed to give the athletes an incentive to lose. The players were found to have tried to lose their matches intentionally, apparently because they had determined that a loss would allow them to play a weaker opponent in the next round."

There was certainly no competitive advantage.  

The ATP takes it seriously. Nick Kyrgios was fined by the ATP for tanking in a match in Shanghai where he lost 6-3, 6-1 and was not trying to win points. He was fined $16,000 for unsportsmanlike conduct.  He was also suspended and had to see a sports psychologist.  Apparently, Kyrgios did it because he just did not want to be playing in that tourney anymore. 

Edited by nittany cougar
16 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Drop shots are difficult to do effectively. Underhand serves are...underhand serves.

I get that about level of difficulty, but underhand serves are frowned upon and poo-poo'ed.  

I love tennis with all more my heart, I really do.  But some of what's considered "unsportsmanlike" is so silly to me.  Underhand serves (but if it's in box, no harm-no foul, right), line judges being side-eyed for calling legitimate foot faults when a the match is too close/in the balance (rule shouldn't apply if it affects the outcome?), expecting players to apologize for winning a point when the ball hits the net but goes over.  

Sorry for the mini-rant.  These are just a few of my little tennis niggles.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
49 minutes ago, nittany cougar said:

ESPN should have expanded the Wimbledon coverage to ESPN2.  They only cut in on Kvitova/Badosa in the end of the second set.

This is the only reason I keep paying for overpriced DirecTV. For all the golf and tennis majors, they open up channels 901-907 and you can choose the match you want to watch or, if you’re like me, I’ll sometimes leave it on 901 and get all the matches on one screen. For golf, they’ll do the same thing except instead of matches, it’s featured groups. Also, DirecTV still airs Bally’s sports channels, which my MLB and NHL teams games are on. So they have me by the crosshairs. 

In addition to Coco and Iga, I was surprised Brooksby lost. 

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Spunkygal said:

A couple of asses!

As much as I can't stand Kyrgios, I think Tsitsipas should've gotten more than a warning for firing the ball into the crowd. Maybe not a default, but most definitely a point penalty. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

As much as I can't stand Kyrgios, I think Tsitsipas should've gotten more than a warning for firing the ball into the crowd. Maybe not a default, but most definitely a point penalty. 

I was shocked that Tsitsipas got off with just a warning.  How is that different from what happened with Djokovic at the U.S. Open last year, except that someone wasn't badly hurt?  I didn't think the level of injury dictates the punishment, but the action does?

But Kyrgios with the constant talking before or between his opponent's serves, verbally abusing the umpire...it's all too much.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, CouchTater said:

This Krygios/Tsitsipas match is a shit show.

Well, when you have a couple of shits playing………

Fight, fight, fight! Just fight it out! 🤣

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Good grief, what was in the water today at the All England club? Kyrgios and Tsitsipas were a shit show and then Nadal lecturing his opponent during the handshake (albeit, calmly). The announcers thought it had something to do with the grunting, but it didn't seem like the guy was doing anything extraordinary. I tried to see if Nadal clarified the issue in his press conference, but I couldn't find anything. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

The announcers thought it had something to do with the grunting, but it didn't seem like the guy was doing anything extraordinary.

I'm pretty sure it was about the grunting, which honestly sounded less like grunting and full on yells. And I think that was Rafa's issue. He first complained to the umpire that during one of the returns, even after Sonego had already hit the ball, he was still yelling, which Rafa felt could be considered a hindrance. 

After he mentioned it to the umpire, either in the same or next game, he went to the net and said it directly to Sonego who seemed to brush it off with a, "tell it to the umpire if you have an issue." At the end of the match, it appears Sonego was defending himself I guess or challenging Rafa's opinion and they were hashing it out. 

I will say I did laugh when I felt like the umpire sort of indicated to them, "like hello, can you wrap this up." Because they were holding the man up with their exchange. 

• Useful 6
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

I will say I did laugh when I felt like the umpire sort of indicated to them, "like hello, can you wrap this up." Because they were holding the man up with their exchange. 

This sounds hilarious- I'm off to google to see if I can find a clip.  

• Love 2

I refused to watch those two fucknuggets Kyrgios and Tsitsipas, and I'm so glad I didn't.  

I'm torn between Sinner and Alcaraz because I really like both those youngsters.  It should be a good match because they both seem to keep their calm (unlike said fucknuggets).  

• Fire 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Crashcourse said:

I refused to watch those two fucknuggets Kyrgios and Tsitsipas, and I'm so glad I didn't.  

I'm torn between Sinner and Alcaraz because I really like both those youngsters.  It should be a good match because they both seem to keep their calm (unlike said fucknuggets).  

Well, Carlito's way of pumping himself up could get old quickly. But for now, I still like him.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

This sounds hilarious- I'm off to google to see if I can find a clip.  

Oh you’ll find a clip! I just wish we had good mics on it. But whoever was announcing (maybe Patrick Mac?) said they were speaking in Spanish. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I had to watch replays on ESPN's website today, and was skipping ahead, so during the Kyrgios match, I turned on ESPN's closed caption to try to learn what the hell was going on. Here is what I learned: Closed caption cannot handle the likes of Tsitsipas. At first I was confused, but it became hilarious. They were calling him: Citypass, Six at best, Sits in past, TT Bus, Citypants, It's a pest --it just went on and on!    

Edited by TVbitch
  • LOL 13

I've seen City bus most frequently. The streaming services all use autocaptioning so it hears what it hears. The TV feeds get the names of the people in advance so they're usually right - or at least get corrected a second or two later.

• Like 1
  • Love 2