Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Kimmy Goes to School!

(edited)

Kimmy learned the most important life lesson of all during this episode. Everything you need to know you can learn from an old 80's movie.

<_===+edited to change TV to movie because they are not the same thing.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Major League is a 1989 film.

I can't believe they also referenced Rising Sun from 1993, that is hilarious.  That movie was soon forgotten by most after its release, I think, but I (vaguely) remember it.

• Love 1

Was Winston Zeddemore High School used in 30 Rock? It seems kind of familiar (other than being an awesome Ghostbusters reference). Otherwise I can totally picture a writers room where they try to pick the most ridiculous possible fictional New Yorker to use for the high school's name.

One of Dong's opening lines is said in a perfect American accent. I've listened to it multiple times to make sure. "In Vietnam, Kimmy means penis."

It took me the whole episode to realize that he wasn't affecting a horribly racist accent to make fun of her. When it hit me that he was genuinely supposed to sound like this I balked.

This is some Auntie Mame level Asian racism.

Edited by DanMSchro
  • Love 2

I've been wondering ever since if Kimmy really is penis in Vietnam. 

I don't know if it does or not, but I googled it, and I found several links to a female model named "Kim My"...

• Love 1

Major League is a 1989 film.

I can't believe they also referenced Rising Sun from 1993, that is hilarious.  That movie was soon forgotten by most after its release, I think, but I (vaguely) remember it.

I love both movies, and can quote almost all of Major League (to the chagrin of all that know me).

• Love 2

"That was a great year if you were the fan of the Montreal Expos."

As a Montrealer, 1) that line it was awesome and 2) painful reminder of that season.  What could have been.

Tina Fey is certainly a fan of the Pinot isn't she?

"Pinot Noir" needs to be my ring tone.

Then every time you miss a call you can just go, "It went to voicemail, call it again."

I loved this episode. I find that the best ones are when Kimmy's work and home lives combine (and interestingly enough, she wasn't really involved in that part of it this ep). Everything about "Pinot Noir" is golden. "It's called 'Pinot Noir.'" "Classy!" "An ode to black penis." "I assumed."

I'm glad the teacher ruining that kid's life didn't go to the dark place of child molestation.

I love Lillian more and more with each episode. "I sanded off my fingerprints years ago."

Also, Xanthippe was relatively tolerable in this episode. I still can't buy her as 15, but whatever.

• Love 2

I'm glad the teacher ruining that kid's life didn't go to the dark place of child molestation.

Oh my God, when Kimmy said "That man is here now" I literally had to turn off the episode because I was SURE this was going to be child molestation and I could not deal with that in the middle of a comedy.  Thankfully, you clarified, so I was able to go back and watch the end of the episode and it is amazing.

Generally I have real trouble watching embarrassing scenes in TV and movies, and I am having difficulty getting through UKS because of that.  It's funny but I can't deal with the awkward.

I'm not sure how I feel about Dong.  A couple of weeks ago, before I had made it to this episode, I heard Cat Chow talking about his character on NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour.  And she was saying how, despite being every Asian stereotype, he was kind of a great character.  So I'm coming to him thinking he'll be a great character but ... that accent ...  it's kind of from the Pepe LePew school of accents, if you know what I mean.

Has Richard Kind never not played a character who was kind of a scumbag?  Not that I'm complaining, since he's kind of awesome at it. But as soon as his teacher showed up, I knew that Kimmy was going to fight an uphill battle with him.  Glad she's pulling the team together, Major League style, and I hope we seem more of her classmates.  The actor playing Dong is good, but I hope his character moves past a stereotype, especially a very dated one.

Everything involving Titus and Lillian was perfect.  Easily the most I liked Xanthippe.  But nothing can top "Pinot Noir."

All the cutbacks the high-school was going through cracked me up: especially renting out lockers for Japanese business men to sleep in.

Hm, I'm a teacher and I didn't notice an anti-teacher subplot.

Me neither.  Even the teacher union was fed up with him. (I used to teach and come from a long line of teachers. And there are absolutely teachers like Richard Kind's character in this who do just enough and annoy the heck out of other teachers.  Not unlike any other workplace.)

Has Richard Kind never not played a character who was kind of a scumbag? 

I don't think he was a scumbag in Mad About You.  And that's not how I would characterize his role in Spin City either.