Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Unto The Breach

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Cookie declares war on Anika after discovering the big, backstabbing secret that her ex-husband's girlfriend has been keeping; at the same time, Lucious comes face-to-face with a longtime rival; and Jamal cozies up to a famous artist when he and his brothers take drastic measures to save Empire Entertainment.
  • Love 1
(edited)

Tiana's back! Yahoo!

Oooh, Cookie & Hakeem working together. Loves it! Also, this is the second week in a row I have liked Hakeem.

Poor Andre. His breakdown was really hard to watch. I felt bad for Rhonda, too. She looked a mess.

Loved seeing Estelle as Delphine.

Also enjoyed that little impromptu performance at the club.

I just really love how crowd-pleasing this show is.

And next week,

some Andre-Cookie scenes.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 11
(edited)

I would have expected a bit more time for Annika to be found out but...DAMN.  I don't know what I enjoyed more: Cookie on the hunt about Annika ("Bye Felicia!" included) or drunk Cookie willing to give up her nookie to Derek Luke.

I did find for a while that for a while they were talking about the IPO, but there was nothing that showed the true risk of losing it all until tonight.  And still Lucious is hung up on Jamal's coming out instead of what's at stake.  Lucky for Lucious, Andre's declaration about the murder can be chalked up to "being off his meds" and no suspicion can come out of it...yet.  Trai's acting in that scene was amazing. 

2 episodes left?!  I'm going to need someone to hold me while I listen to this week's version of "You're So Beautiful."

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 11

I liked that everyone quickly found out what Anika was up to.  The opening scene was hilarious, so was Cookie's come-ons to the bodyguard.

Andre scared me when he was stuck in the elevator with his brothers, but I was glad that they were able to calm him down.  Glad the other Lyon brothers stepped up to save the company.  I laughed when Hakeem manipulated Anika outside the restaurant.

The ending was heartbreaking.

• Love 12

FINALLY!  Andre, Jamal, and Hakeem alone TOGETHA!  This was both welcomed and needed.  I kind of get the dynamic between them a little more.  Andre is great for the dramatic aspects of this show, I think.  He represents the true drama that I want this show to become more of.  I'd be willing to sacrifice less music for more drama with him helping to drive it.

• Love 16

Wow Andre. Trai was amazing in the scene in the elevator, all 3 of them were and then at the end before they took him away for the psych hold. 

I was thinking that the family was unaware of Andre's bipolar but it didn't look that way during the show. The boys in the elevator didn't look confused as to what was wrong with him, but Jamal seemed aware he was having  and instantly wanted to calm him. Lucious didn't look surprised at the end either when Andre was going off. 

Cookie dumping Anika's clothes down stairs was hilarious. 

Hakeem seems to not take the business serious. Andre is off the rails and too serious. Jamal the gay one Lucious is disliking the most seems to be the best one to take over Empire. He's helping, he's getting new talent, he's giving orders like a man in charge. 

• Love 7

Lawd! Cookie about to do an Erica Kane talking to Bianca in the group therapy session. I don't know if I can take it, but I will be there! That's how Susan Lucci won the Emmy after 500 nominations!

These past two weeks have been good, but fast forwarded on some TV steroids. I understand the constraints for this season and everyone not knowing what would happen, but they have to slow some of this down next year. There was supposed to be more for Anika's part in this, they owe that girl.

They owed Andre a little bit more with his breakdown.

• Love 3
(edited)

Fantastic episode.  I loved Jamal and Delphine's duet.  Gorgeous. I feel that,of course, Jamal is going to be required to do a romantic video with her.  I love Jamal and it's great that he is starting to stand up to his father more.

Andre's breakdown was hard to watch.  When he said "you were babies,you were babies" to his two younger brothers,I think that gets to the root of his psychosis.

Oh, and Cookie out drinking five men with hooch--epic!

Edited by susannot
  • Love 14
(edited)

This show is so crazy and the plots move so fast, I love it. 

Jamal making his move to sign artist and eventually take over Empire. I loved how he told off Lucious about how his sexual proclivities got them in this mess. He and his new boo are adorable together.

Hakeem scheming against Annika was so clever. I was glad that he was straight up with Tiana though.

Cookie drunk and hitting on Derek Luke had me rolling.

The family performing "You're so Beautiful" with Delphin was gold. 

Poor Dre and Rhonda. I felt for both of them. She obviously loves him very much.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 15

So much to unpack with Anika's fleeing from Chez Lyon.

Cookie "goin' hard" for an artist.

Jamal almost balancing the work/life balance and doing good for work and family on so many levels.

The elevator scen had me teary. ( Also? STFU, Lucious.)

Hakeem and Andre working to land what ultimately was a "traitor".

Hakeem being honest and still helping Cookie get Tiana back and ready to roll with Empire.

Lucious still contracting out the Hard Decisions That Aren't Sekret Murder; I just wanted to hug Rhonda. Lucious had truly never have had an inkling about the bipolar or he is irredeemable. Knowing and treating Andre, speaking to him as he has is sick.

Becky and Porsha are MVPs with the knowing loyalty and willingness to help.

Hope Lola is getting to help out in the kitchen and not just playing by herself.

Estelle/Delphine is angelic and all The Good Things.

Just... This show!

• Love 5

I really was gripped by this entire episode - I loved the whole "Dallas style" coming together of the family against outside forces.

Andre's breakdown was so, so hard to watch. It felt a bit rushed - but it was so hard to watch. The elevator scene with the 3 brothers singing make me tear up and cry. That's the first time I've felt a connection between Andre and his brothers. And that scene where he was supposedly in a manic moment was just hard to watch. So hard. The purchase of the car felt realistic - I don't have much experience with bipolar disorder to know how realistic it was - but I'm sure it was played more to the dramatic. I still felt awful for Andre and the scene where they had to sedate him - I felt like I needed a sedative too.

Anika is a hot mess. She acts like Lucious drove her to do the things she did - when prior to him and Cookie hooking up, he hadn't done anything to her that she wasn't perfectly fine with. Her saying that she's not a treacherous person? Girl bye. You drugged a former drug addict because of sheer jealousy. Triflin. I was so glad when Hakeem played the mess out of her.

Jamal was hot when he fussed out his dad. Honor thy father and all, but whew!

Cookie trying to give up her cookies to Derek Luke was really funny - I laughed loud and hard on that one... and I squealed a little inside because he came after her to make sure she was okay - I had an inkling that he would - was happy when he showed up. "Cookie..." "Yeah... that's my name... take a bite!" BWAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

I love Cookie's wardrobe. I too want a shirt that says, "Take these Cookies!!!" HAHAhahahahahaaaa!!! That was so funny.

So much to process in this episode... need more time to process.

• Love 14

I may be a sap, but I had tears running down my face during that elevator scene. Andre's arc in this episode was so sad. I was also disappointed that TPTB showed another instance of Andre being aggressive toward Rhonda. I'd rather it not be like that, because I hate looking at him and thinking he could hurt her. 

• Love 16
(edited)

Wow Andre. Trai was amazing in the scene in the elevator, all 3 of them were and then at the end before they took him away for the psych hold. 

I was thinking that the family was unaware of Andre's bipolar but it didn't look that way during the show. The boys in the elevator didn't look confused as to what was wrong with him, but Jamal seemed aware he was having  and instantly wanted to calm him. Lucious didn't look surprised at the end either when Andre was going off. 

Cookie dumping Anika's clothes down stairs was hilarious. 

Hakeem seems to not take the business serious. Andre is off the rails and too serious. Jamal the gay one Lucious is disliking the most seems to be the best one to take over Empire. He's helping, he's getting new talent, he's giving orders like a man in charge. 

There was plenty of confusion for me about whether the family knew about Dre's condition.  I remember the episode in which Lucious asked Dre what was wrong with him when he having one of his "moments."  I felt certain at the time that Lucious knew nothing about Andre, but now I'm not so sure.

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 1
(edited)

That sharecropper comment, though. O.o I would never thrive in this business, because I would have had, at the very least, a massive "WTF?" look on my face.

The elevator scene was heartbreaking and touching. Trai was definitely the MVP of this episode and I think he's the most interesting brother. I don't think his brothers knew that he was bipolar, but they knew that there was something and that there was a way to calm him down. I can't wait to see the Cookie/Andre scene next week.

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 18
(edited)

I love that Porsha was a double agent!  And how she and her girls rolled up on Anika outside that restaurant.  LOL

Also that last Andre scene was intense.  The actor really went for broke in those scenes.  The actress who played Rhonda had no dialogue but her quiet despair was well done.  I felt bad for her.

Great impromptu performance int he club of "You're Beautiful"  I loved last week's high energy performance, but I also loved this kinda slow-vibe, stripped down groovy version too.

I need to re-watch the first ten minutes.  There were some prime Cookie quotes I missed when she was throwing Anika's clothes out of the house.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 8
I was glad that he was straight up with Tiana though.

Like I said upthread - second week in a row of me liking Hakeem. What's the world coming to?

( Also? STFU, Lucious.)

Forever and always.

Becky and Porsha are MVPs with the knowing loyalty and willingness to help

I loved them both tonight!

and I squealed a little inside because he came after her to make sure she was okay

YES! That moment made me swoon!

• Love 9
(edited)

Hell of an episode.  Porsha was in top form.  I LOVED that she threw it in Anika's face that she was a reverse mole.  Although Anika herself -- I actually did feel a little bad for her.  Not bad enough that she's remotely redeemed herself for drugging Elle, but bad.  The fact that Lucious drew in Anika's father as leverage really, really sucks for her.  Should've listened to your mother, girl.

I thought the elevator scene was great -- I was not remotely surprised to hear Andre's anguish about the things he gave up that his brothers (as he saw it) didn't.  And how notable that after going after the white wife last episode, that's exactly who Lucious handed Andre off to in the end.  Looks like there's some tension with Vernon next episode - I hope Vernon roasts Lucious' ass.

Was it planned when Andre tripped over the basketball rack?  That honestly looked like something the actor did and they just kept going with the scene.  Not a criticism, it actually just looked that spontaneous.

Edited by Malbec
  • Love 5

There was a lot going on in this episode tonight, I feel lost, I'm going to have to watch it again.  

Trai Byers deserves a Primetime Emmy for his performance.

He completely does - there are some breakout stars on this show. Trai literally made me hold my breath, cry and gasp with his performance...

• Love 8

Holy crap.  So many highs and lows this episode.  I couldn't even enjoy the "You're so Beautiful" ensemble because all I could think was one, Andre's of course not there (which considering the circumstances, totally understandable) and I knew they were still going to have to deal with Andre's situation.

Realistically I have a hard time believing that Andre would dovetail that quickly.  Like he stopped taking his meds that morning.  It was what? Two days at most?  It takes longer than that for it to be out of your system.  Also, I'm confused.  Did Lucious know all along that Andre's bipolar?  Who else knows?  If it's not a secret why act like it is? And poor Rhonda.  She was in it for like five seconds but man.  Can someone give them both a hug now?!?!

I started off the episode cheering for Porche and then ending it with "Oh, Andre."

Dammit Hakeem!  You're making it hard to hate you still!  All I'll have left is Lucious!  But yay, Tianna is staying.

I can't even with this show!  I want to cheer on all the things worth cheering for in this episode.  Jamal, Hakeem!, Cookie, Porche, Becky, but I'm just stuck at the end.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm keeping my eye on Andre's musical therapist because of some rather interesting scenes I saw between them in previews.  Let's just say that Rhonda better be prepared to pounce.

His musical therapist is Jennifer Hudson... I did see some chemistry there too - Rhonda better watch her back for real.

Also - I need Porsha's bad camouflage faux fur coat. That is an awesome coat! Ugh - it's sold out on topshop.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 2

This show continues to send me on an emotional Rollercoaster from Cookie's amazingly fun entrance to Andre's heartbreaking exit.

Loved seeing the family come togther against their enemies and can't wait to see them come together for a Andre next week.

I think I loved the entire show. Way to many scenes to point out. TPH was the queen as usual but I agree that Trai deserves the MVP.

What am I going to do when this show ends.

• Love 4

Having worked a psych unit for many years and currently teach college psychology, I thought that they really did a great job illustrating how quickly an unmedicated person with Bipolar can go "off the rails". I had a patient once who bought with cash a house and a car in a weekend! Ruined himself financially in one manic moment. It totally rang true for me and I thought that he actor did a tremendous job with it. The elevator scene was great and I think that it shows how difficult being manic (with anger rolled in for good measure) can be. It really shows why bipolar is considered to be as difficult to treat as schizophrenia. Although, I am not certain that we have seen any depressive moments with Andre, however, I will just give them that they haven't shown it yet. 

And because it cannot be said enough, "Do you want my cookies?"  hee

• Love 20
(edited)

I love Cookie even though she's too much at times. I didn't like what they did to Annika's character. Way to demonize an educated, classy, non hood woman of color.

Whoa, poor Andre. Scary how he talks about himself in the third person. Does the family know Andre is bipolar.

Great episode!

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 6

Holy crap. So many highs and lows this episode. I couldn't even enjoy the "You're so Beautiful" ensemble because all I could think was one, Andre's of course not there (which considering the circumstances, totally understandable) and I knew they were still going to have to deal with Andre's situation.

Realistically I have a hard time believing that Andre would dovetail that quickly. Like he stopped taking his meds that morning. It was what? Two days at most? It takes longer than that for it to be out of your system. Also, I'm confused. Did Lucious know all along that Andre's bipolar? Who else knows? If it's not a secret why act like it is? And poor Rhonda. She was in it for like five seconds but man. Can someone give them both a hug now?!?!

I started off the episode cheering for Porche and then ending it with "Oh, Andre."

Dammit Hakeem! You're making it hard to hate you still! All I'll have left is Lucious! But yay, Tianna is staying.

I can't even with this show! I want to cheer on all the things worth cheering for in this episode. Jamal, Hakeem!, Cookie, Porche, Becky, but I'm just stuck at the end.

I know. Every week I think, they can't possibly continue to hold me in their grip like this, and yet I find myself enthralled all over again. And I too just want to hold both Rhonda and Andre. I will also attempt to give Lucius the benefit of the doubt in having Rhonda sign the 48 hour hold - they asked for his next of kin and that is her. Wife trumps father.

• Love 4

Ya know, I'm a jaded jaded viewer, I love me some high class original recipe Upstairs Downstairs, and I, Claudius, and a lot of other deep shows.  Now this episode?  It made my top five ever - it started running and never stopped and there was more plot than three seasons of Dallas.  Damn, that was some brilliant writing and performances.  

I can't wait to watch it over again! 

• Love 17

Jennifer Hudson--awesome!  I'm also wondering,in pseudo-diagnosing Andre over the Internet, whether he felt badly because he wasn't musically talented like the rest of the family.  You could see it in that elevator scene,which is why I thought it was so lovingly and sensitively handled by his brothers.

• Love 7
(edited)

I really need to quit assuming this show is going to take it slow.  I guess this shorten season means they can't play around.  One one hand, there are times I wish they spent more time developing on.  On the other hand, I kind of like how unpredictable it makes it.  Most shows would have dragged Anika's move for an episode or two, but not Empire!  She's Team Baretti now, and stealing artists from Empire!  Damn!

Not my favorite episode, but I did like seeing them dive into the music industry this time.  I love the soap, but I always enjoy the behind the scenes stuff in any entertainment industry.  I'm sure a lot of it was exaggerated, but it was fun watching everyone running back and forth, and trying to stop the ship from sinking.  I liked how everyone had plans, and they worked in various ways (or not, in some cases.)  Even if it didn't all work out, I just like that everyone truly wants Empire to succeed, no matter how much they can't stand each other at times.

Loved the elevator scene with the three brothers.  Andre is just so hard to watch, and seeing his freakout and especially Hakeem's fear, was brutal to watch.  But, I loved that Jamal knew how to calm him down, and Hakeem joined in.  And, that hug.  Despite the cheese and campiness, I really do feel like these guys are brothers. They argue, fight, and might even hate each other at times, but I never doubt that they love each other.  But, things really don't look good for Andre.  Him off his meds is really not good: I actually thought he would harm Rhonda for a second.  I do hope he gets help.  I think even Lucious' concern was sincere.  I mean, he's an asshole, but maybe not a complete monster, I hope.

I love that Jamal is now more confident.  Enjoy watching him pursue the deal with Delphine, and standing up to Lucious, when he was being a jerk.  Badass Jamal is kind of awesome.  I just worry he might get too cocky.  This strikes me as a show where no one can be standing pretty for too long.

I... actually like Hakeem, tonight?  When did that happen?  I liked how he was trying to help when he could, and him backing Cookie's play with Tiana.  And, he was actually mature with Tiana herself.  He's growing!  Maybe there's hope for Hakeem yet.  If nothing else, I like that the show has made him move past the one-dimensional jackass.

Cookie and Michael needs to happen.  Taraji P. Henson and Derek Luke were hilarious together.

I say this with love, but there were two things that amused me in ways they probably shouldn't have.

First, while Cookie out-drinking Baretti's men was hilarious and awesome, she sure seemed to recover quickly.  Didn't even seem buzzed a little bit by the end of the episode.  I guess she really can control her alcohol.

Second, the stand-off in the street.  In broad daylight.  And, I'm pretty sure I saw a few cars just driving along and even some just parked at the lights, waiting for them to get done.  I just love that in the magical land of Empire, drivers are just like "Oh, look: two of the biggest musical kingpins in the city are getting ready to have a shoot-out in the street.  Must be Wednesday!"

How many more times can I saw that I love this show?  Only complaint I have is that I might not have access to the TV next week, so I have to wait to catch next week's episode.  No!!! 

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 11
(edited)

One thing I did love is that Cookie has decided to just up and in her heart adopt Tiana. "You're family" for certain. Family plays straight, like Hakeem did, but I could tell it was because he likes Tiana enough not to just tell her shit to keep her on the label. Despite the face Cookie had at Camilla's name ( which was awesome!) 

I thought that Porsha was like an honorary member of Hakeem's friends and that's who blocked Anika from seeing Tiana. Doesn't matter; Anika telling bold-faced lies and drugging Elle make her a villain, to me. I did feel for her trying to get away from Lucious, though. I did feel that Lucious has the destructive anger that we've seen in Andre to this point. No one needs that, not even Boo Boo Kitty.

And Lucious? Blaming your sons for an elevator getting stuck? Again, STFU. Spring for better, son-proof ones then, asshat.

PS--those who know: It was a bad call to, in essence, cage Andre, right? He's manic, not some zoo animal. I get keeping him where he can't do anything hurtful, but that seemed so mishandled.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 4

Having worked a psych unit for many years and currently teach college psychology, I thought that they really did a great job illustrating how quickly an unmedicated person with Bipolar can go "off the rails".

The most I know about psychology is I minored in it so I'm really curious to know.  If someone stop taking their medication for two days they can go into a full manic episode in that time period?  I know that the brain is a tricky organ but I guess I figured it would take longer for the medication to work its way out of their systems.

• Love 2

Poor Andre. His breakdown was really hard to watch. I felt bad for Rhonda, too. She looked a mess.

I really felt for Rhonda as well... that was hard to watch.  Andre turned on her so fast when he went off his meds, all because of what his awful father said.  And speaking of Lucious, did anyone else notice how quickly he refused to sign the 48-hour commitment papers for Andre and directed the medic to Rhonda?  I could be wrong, but I think it's very possible he's setting up Rhonda to take the fallout from Andre when he learns that she signed those papers.  

• Love 10

Previous episodes have implied that Andre's meds are either not working or he's skipping doses, so that could also be a factor in why it happened so quickly.

First, while Cookie out-drinking Baretti's men was hilarious and awesome, she sure seemed to recover quickly.  Didn't even seem buzzed a little bit by the end of the episode.  I guess she really can control her alcohol.

Second, the stand-off in the street.  In broad daylight.  And, I'm pretty sure I saw a few cars just driving along and even some just parked at the lights, waiting for them to get done.  I just love that in the magical land of Empire, drivers are just like "Oh, look: two of the biggest musical kingpins in the city are getting ready to have a shoot-out in the street.  Must be Wednesday!"

Ha ha!!  These exact thoughts went through my mind when I was watching.

• Love 1
(edited)

That sharecropper comment, though. O.o I would never thrive in this business, because I would have had, at the very least, a massive "WTF?" look on my face.

The elevator scene was heartbreaking and touching. Trai was definitely the MVP of this episode and I think he's the most interesting brother. I don't think his brothers knew that he was bipolar, but they knew that there was something and that there was a way to calm him down. I can't wait to see the Cookie/Andre scene next week.

LOL  I was like did this white guy just say that .  I wish luscious had got gangsta with his ass

Edited by teezy
  • Love 5

Second, the stand-off in the street.  In broad daylight.  And, I'm pretty sure I saw a few cars just driving along and even some just parked at the lights, waiting for them to get done.  I just love that in the magical land of Empire, drivers are just like "Oh, look: two of the biggest musical kingpins in the city are getting ready to have a shoot-out in the street.  Must be Wednesday!"

That made me laugh for the wrong reasons.  I'm thinking "there's a bus full of passengers RIGHT THERE.  You don't think there won't be one eyewitness?"

• Love 7

Jennifer Hudson--awesome!  I'm also wondering,in pseudo-diagnosing Andre over the Internet, whether he felt badly because he wasn't musically talented like the rest of the family.  You could see it in that elevator scene,which is why I thought it was so lovingly and sensitively handled by his brothers.

i thought that was hialrious because someone made a joke on another board about the cure to Andre's illness was him getting a black woman

lol

He has never looked at Rhonda the way he was with jennnifer hudson in them clips,   him and rhonda have this weird cold demented sexual relationship that whole scene where she had him call her another woman's name said alot about her mindstate nad i don't like it.

• Love 6

Lucious needs to sue Anika - what she did was a breach of contract more than likely and he can literally take everything she owns. I hope he was smart enough to make her sign a non-compete clause.

• Love 9

The most I know about psychology is I minored in it so I'm really curious to know. If someone stop taking their medication for two days they can go into a full manic episode in that time period? I know that the brain is a tricky organ but I guess I figured it would take longer for the medication to work its way out of their systems.

He had 4 bottles of meds, that's a lot to stop taking all at once. And yes I've seen it happen that quickly. And remember he was already toying with taking them in earlier episodes so I can see him quietly continuing to skip taking them on a regular.

• Love 9

I'm just going to have to assume that Lucious and the rest of the family knew nothing about Andre's bipolar, because if they did know all this time, what might that imply?  That they didn't understand the seriousness of such a condition that they thought Andre could handle it alone?  Or they did realize how deadly it could be for him and others but they didn't care?  The idea that Cookie and Lucious would've known all this time but never bothered to really check up on him because they were much too into Jamal and Hakeem is just really...................hmmmmm.  

• Love 2

Ya know, I'm a jaded jaded viewer, I love me some high class original recipe Upstairs Downstairs, and I, Claudius, and a lot of other deep shows.  Now this episode?  It made my top five ever - it started running and never stopped and there was more plot than three seasons of Dallas.  Damn, that was some brilliant writing and performances.  

I can't wait to watch it over again! 

lol  it would take dallas ten whole season just to move through half the plot points covered in the past three episodes lol

yes i loved this episode onyl thing i wish is that htye did a little more character development i mean damn this show doesn't give you time to breathe.

everything happens at breakneck speed

• Love 3

He had 4 bottles of meds, that's a lot to stop taking all at once. And yes I've seen it happen that quickly. And remember he was already toying with taking them in earlier episodes so I can see him quietly continuing to skip taking them on a regular.

And if you count this with that earlier scene from another episode where he wasn't taking his meds on schedule and he snapped at Rhonda so she led him away to take his pills? Yeah - I think the show was trying to illustrate that it could go sideways on him a lot faster than you'd think.

They've had several scenes with Rhonda trying to remind him of the importance of staying on schedule.

• Love 5

Loved this episode. I keep thinking things are gonna get a little wonky with all the plots going on, but they are making it all work.

Really like how Jamal is stepping up and taking a part in the company course cuz he's gay, Lucious ain't having it.

Andre's arc was heartbreaking. To see someone so lost in his own head is quite scary to watch.

And love me some drunk Cookie but there is no way she could have sobered up so fast.

And I had a hard time believing Jamal couldn't remember the words to Lean on Me, it's not like it's some obscure little song.