Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Discussion

Glory

Sorry but I doubt very strongly that Kurt doesn't know if he's back full time on Glee.  Those contracts for Season Six contracts have been signed and the ink dry.  Even in Season 4 he was "full time" on Glee, even if he was woefully underutilized.  He was in 19 out of 22 episodes that year, even if many were a cameo appearances.

He could be used the way Matt Morrison or Jane Lynch have been used in the past few seasons. I hope not, the show really would be unwatchable.

Actually Chris said he's good with how they set up Kurt for season Six.

Actually Chris said:

"I think fans are going to like the final episode because it gets pretty dramatic with Kurt and Blaine, but for the most part I think the season will end giving each character a nice season five send-off."

• Love 1
(edited)

"I think fans are going to like the final episode because it gets pretty dramatic with Kurt and Blaine, but for the most part I think the season will end giving each character a nice season five send-off."

Well I stand corrected, so I guess Kurt really knows jack shit how Season Six is really going to work out since they don't have any script IMO even written yet. Ryan talks out out of his ass at the beginning of every season and then you compare what actually transpired after the fact and you have an idea how much of it is just his usual nonsense.

Edited by caracas1914

"what about the rabid Klaine fans? Won't this just make them angry?

Probably not. I'm sure Kurt did something horrible that left Blaine with no choice but to sleep with someone else.

• Love 1

I think that for once Kurt can be excluded as being the guilty party in this surprising development.  ;-)

Since this will most likely turn out to be an apocryphal sequence of some kind, like them imagining how the script would turn out, it will simply be a humourous portion of the episode. GA members and a great number of dedicated fans do have a sense of humour.

That shot was a great promo hook to surprise viewers and pique their interest, while inevitably irritating others.

(edited)

Really? Cos season 4 and 5 felt like 'The Rachel Berry Show' maybe her time on screen feels longer to me because it irritates so much. But since McKinley is gone it is 'The Rachel Berry Show' everyone is there to serve her storylines, or to provide the 'b' storyline to her 'a' storyline in any ep. I've no doubt that is exactly what season 6 will be. 

Well you have made it  clear she irrates you so yeah it seems it has affected how your memory on how much she was used if you think she gets the A plot all the time :)  .  Off the top of my head she didn't have a A plot in 4x3,5,6,7,8,10,11,15,18 or 19.   Not arguing she doesn't get more but as the lead that is kind of the job.

But  really  the point is that is what supporting  characters are suppose to do, ergo the word suport.  But as shown time after time they get some foucs as well.  

A supporting character is a character in a narrative that is not focused on by the primary storyline. Sometimes supporting characters may develop a complex back-story of their own, but this is usually in relation to the main character, rather than entirely independently

It is not a bad thing to be a supporting character. 

Edited by tom87
(edited)

I'd say my faves on almost every show I watch are supporting characters.

I  know and often they get the best stuff.  

I just think this fandom sometimes can get mired down in the ensemble idea.  When this show has never  given this huge cast of 12+ the same or equal amount fo time. They didn't even give the "original" glee club members the same amont of time in the pilot or first 13 or first season.   And tbh I never thought that was their intention to be a true ensemble show. 

Edited by tom87

Supporting characters often get the personality quirks and the funny dialogue that make them more memorable than the protagonists. Just as the villain is often more interesting than the hero and an ill-conceived villain can be be the deathblow to a story.

I agree that in Glee as in most "ensemble" shows there is still a hierarchy, which can change over time as the production discovers qualities they did not detect at first in some supporting actors/characters, or as unexpected viewer favourites suddenly emerge.

(edited)

So it looks like Lea, Darren, and Chord are representing Glee at upfronts as all three are in New York.  We also have Lea saying she knows what Rachel, Blaine, and Sam are doing but no one else which tells me they will all  be in the same location.  I am also going with the assumption that where Rachel is where the main plot will be (which seems to be Rachel starring in some version of "Sing" i.e. a way for RM to go all meta and work out his issues with the Glee cast and audience).  Given all of that I have to say my interest in season 6 is about nil.  I assume Rachel gets her pilot and moves to LA and some how Sam and Blaine find their ways out there (does this mean Blaine drops out of school). They will probably all share an apartment or something but it is just that particular combination just sounds so boring to me.  The two special snowflakes and their big blond mascot.  

I will never be a huge Sam fan but at least he was tolerable around Mercedes.  Not to mention there needs to be more than one female voice.  And really it makes little sense that Sam would find his way to LA but Mercedes wouldn't (after her tour) given that LA was her home base and her move to New York was just temporary to work on her sound so maybe she does after all.  As far as, Artie depending how long the time jump is he can easily move to LA to pursue his directing career.  Finally we get to Kurt who I assume can also make his way to LA after he graduates but he seems very New York to me. 

All in all it sounds like a big mess in that I think RM and team are vastly over-rating how popular Rachel, Blaine, and Sam are.  Rachel is the show's most popular character but I just don't think she and Sam and Blaine are enough to sustain even an adequate basement of ratings.  

Edited by camussie
(edited)

Well Jane is at suppose to be at the upfronts too.    I just think it is too soon to know who will be were.    It could start off in LA and by episode 3 have 6 or 7 cast members there.

That said no I do not want Rachel stuck with Blam.   Rachel is at least an entertaining character but even she needs  intersting chracters to bounce off of....  That is why HumPezberry was a good combination.   They all had some bite to them and some snark. Plus you really never know  how Santana or Rachel would react.  Kurt we pretty much know he will take the high road but was not afraid to bite back or at least be passive aggressive.

Rachel will run over these two guys there is no history not fricition.  Plus  I can't believe they would think  Blaine/Rachel deuts  or Rachel/Sam duets are better than a Kurt/Rachel duets or Santana/Rachel deuts.

Not sure why they would think a split narrative would be a good idea agan.

Can it be coincidence that there is only one Season 1 character to end the series with approximately that same amount of screen time as they had at the start?

I am trying to keep hoep alive for more Kurt.   Artie and Mercedes have some chance too.    Hell the way they have been pushing Blaine and Sam, Rachel may even be the third wheel.

Edited by tom87
Plus  I can't believe they would think  Blaine/Rachel deuts  or Rachel/Sam duets are better than a Kurt/Rachel duets or Santana/Rachel deuts.

Tastes vary. Several viewers do think that Blaine-Rachel duets are more pleasant that Rachel-Kurt's; many find the HummelBerry relationship cloying or annoying. As for Sam-Rachel duets, I can't remember any off-hand. These varied tastes can each find satisfaction with different portions of the show.

That being said, I can't see the split location, if it happens, lasting for very long. Having Kurt on his own in NYC would mean recreating a supporting cast around him to add to Artie and introducing new characters, i.e. investing creative energy they may not want to muster for their last few months. Plus, the writers have not shown themselves to be very much skilled when it comes to writing interlinked stories between two locations, as opposed to independent concomitant plots. After having made the didactic demonstration that the fiancés can make a long-distance relationship work the second time around, is it really possible to keep them apart for long as the focus turn to the run-up to their wedding?

The episodes I tend to like best are ensemble ones, where everyone has something to contribute. And in a season overall, I like it when the wealth is spread out. I have no problem with a Blaine-heavy episode or a Sam-heavy episode per se, or a Rachel-heavy episode (always my leading lady), so long as there are *also* Kurt-heavy and Artie-heavy episodes. I'd love to add Santana-heavy there but unless Murphy has one of his famous come-to-jesus sit-downs with her and welcomes her suitably chastened and penitent back into the fold (as he did with Chord for S3) I don't see Naya being back, period. But it takes Chris writing his own episode for Kurt to have a voice, or any sort of story outside of his relationships with Rachel and Blaine. This will not stand.

(edited)

I think Jane is at Upfronts to shill for her game show on NBC, "Hollywood Nights". I doubt if at this late date even Glee has the gall to try to push her as a genuine "regular" anymore on the show to the advertisers.

Edited by caracas1914

I wonder if 2015's (probably) shortened season will have Rachel, Blaine and Sam with an arc or arcs that run the course of the season and then each ep will give us a glimpse of one or two other characters and where they are. Kind of a weird choice tho--not the Rachel part but why bother with Sam and Blaine? Why not just lump them in with the other characters? It's not like either one of them got noteworthy press this year. Or ever, really.

Whatever direction they go, I have the sinking feeling that most of what we'll get is RM using Rachel's glee knockoff SL to tell the few remaining fans still watching the show how very awful they are for not loving his creative masterpiece in the way he intended.

Jane oughta shill for Hollywood Game Night over Glee. I've actually laughed while watching it the past season.

• Love 1

The season 6 probably 13 episode arc of Glee will basically be "Sing" the second season.

Matt Morrison seems contractually tethered to the end even if he only puts in a couple of appearances I'm guessing. Naya is probably completely out. I expect Chris, Kevin and Amber to get the occasional bone of a song or be a prop on the main Three characters (Deleastreet) storylines.

The "good" (?) news is that the shortened season will seem much longer.

Much, much longer.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am guessing right now that most of the action will take place in LA with Rachel, Sam, Blaine and one of the few times MM/Will appears is in the very last episode when Rachel goes to Lima either for a visit or something more permanent to help restart the glee club.  As far as the others I think both Mercedes and Artie might appear more than Kurt.  They can always have Artie transfer to film school in LA and intern with the show.  As far as Mercedes I suppose it depends on how they leave her and Sam.  If they are still together it wouldn't make any sense for her not to go to LA after her tour so she could show up a few episodes into the season.

There is also the questions of how they get both Sam and Blaine out there.  Sam I suppose could get a modeling opportunity but what about Blaine?  Is he going to drop out of school and leave Kurt for something in LA?  Finally I can see Kurt making his way out there at some point as I think we get a time jump so we can get to the juncture of Rachel finding all of her success hollow and wanting to give back by getting ND going again.  If they do that he can graduate and then go to LA.  

As far as how they use Sue I am predicting right now they have her be a creative consultant on the show.  

Edited by camussie

This is the sterling individual who, a few weeks after the Love of His Life was in a coma with a skull fracture, aimed a punch at his head in theatrical combat class because he was feeling fat and not the absolute centre of attention. Perf BF, obvs.

So Glee is still writing the couple in soap opera clichés: on the one hand one character naively thinks that by withholding facts while trying to correct a bad situation BTS  he will protect his loved one from the harsh truth, and on the other hand the overdramatic end-of-the world reaction from said loved one. Every couple has their clashes but why must theirs always be at Def-Con 5 levels? In the long run it makes it harder each time to believe how easily they reconcile, no matter how quietly persuasive their more tender scenes are.

I don't recall Kurt pulling any punches or swipes during the fight class, which I take to mean that the writers intended that he must have fully recovered from that hairline fracture (otherwise he would not have been allowed in that class anyway).

(edited)

I'm kinda hoping for a more cohesive final season. (I know it's Glee, but we can dream, right?)

What they NEED is to abandon this multi-location nonsense and get back to their roots.  I'm kinda hoping that someone (like Schue) gets a fatal disease; this would be a logical impetus  to get the cast back together in one place and bring things full circle.  It could also serve as the motivatior to repopen the Glee Club, as Sue realizes that she and WIll really are friends and the value of the arts. And how would Emma handle raising a baby all by herself?

This would also have the added effect of bringin back the missing element of Glee.. The GLEE CLUB, as the the NuNewDirections gets their chance to win a Nationals. (The new cast really got the shaft- hard, and they were actually fairly tolerable. [Come back, Ryders shoulders! We miss you!]

Of course, what we'll likely get is "The Rachel Berry SHow 2.0", with a healthy dose of Klaine and Samcedes. UGH, (Even I realize that Kurt and Blaine are not meant for each other by this point; can't they let Blaine and Kurt be free?  Or, if RM really wants that BIG GAY WEDDING, bring back Karofsky and hook him up with Kurt!)

Edited by ShadowDenizen

If the 0.6 rating for this episode is anything to go by, we may only get a TV movie to finish it all off. Or it may just be quietly shuffled off this mortal coil. Even a summer burner, they'd expect more than that.

• Love 1
(edited)
Or, if RM really wants that BIG GAY WEDDING, bring back Karofsky and hook him up with Kurt!

Or have him and Elliot move from friends to more or have him reunite with Adam who was a seemingly nice, sweet guy. How about anyone but the guy who was once physically, emotionally and violently abusive to him. So we don't have to see him move from the insecure, immature cheater to the guy still working through his self-loathing about being gay and who once again violently and emotionally abused him. Just a thought... 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Also a valid plot idea!

I was just thinking that TPTB seem to really like Max Adler to keep bringing him back, and they have tried to pull a "Redemption Arc" for Karofsky's character, as much as they could for a tertiary character, anyway. (To me, the idea of "Postiive Change" kinda is the hallmark of Kurt's character, more than anything else.) 

Plus, Max Adler always seems to talk positively about his role and the show, while I haven't heard much from Adam Lambert about the role.

Oh, and memo to TPTB? NO MORE BECKY. PLEASE!

Adam Lambert has said many positive things about the show but Adam is also not really an actor. His main focus and career is as a singer so he's not going to focus heavily on being on the show. It was something fun and if he has time and they want him he may be willing to do it but it's not something he's going to hold on for. Not sure about the guy who played Adam (this Adam the performer and Adam the character is kind of confusing) because the character was pretty much dumped in a blink of an eye but in his one major interview when the character was first introduced, he seemed very effusive about the character, albeit a bit delusional about his hopes for Adam and particularly his relationship with Kurt. It was actually a bit sad to be honest because it was clear he had never watched this show and didn't realize the shitfest he was entering. He actually thought they did things like character development and had storylines that were well developed. 

As for Adler being brought back and Karofsky's whole redemption crap, well I just think that had to do with some vocal fans who liked the character and actor and were all salivating over the idea of redeemed abuser/former victim love story. Not to mention even some in the media like that TV Line guy who was always going on about it. So the writers responded to that I think but I don't believe with the shitfest the show is and the state it is now that Karofsky is who they'll be thinking about to bring back. Because I know they can't possibly think that'll increase any real interest in the show.

As for Adler, sure he talked positively about the show because it got him the most press and screentime he had in a show ever but he also whined recently about how his character was never fully appreciated by some because they saw him as a threat to Klaine and so that's why the character and him didn't last on the show. He was comparing it to his reception on Switched At Birth and noting how much more positive the fans were to him with that show. And I remember thinking dude is either really delusional or just that dumb. Because he conveniently was ignoring that his character on Switched at Birth was introduced in a far more positive manner than Karofsky was and I imagine if he'd been some violent, abusive jerk to the female character, there would have been just as many people not interested in seeing them romantic as those who didn't want Kurt and Karofsky to be romantic. 

I think Max Adler was thinking from the POV that there were more tales to tell with the Karofsky character, and as an actor with obvious self interest invested in the character I can't blame him for that.

Considering the horrible characters giving oodles of screen time through the years (I'm talking to you Becky), and 2.0 Noobs at McKinley sucking up screentime, Karofsky was sufficiently "redeemed" that giving him a conclusion SL arc wasn't the worst thing Glee could have done. So in that sense I don't think Max was delusional in thinking they could have given Karofsky more. Some fans were visceral against him but that was the usual suspects and not any larger than the contingent of "angry Lesbian bloggers" that Ryan Murphy didn't mind offending on a regular basis.

Just saying.

I really was just thinking "What would bring the characters full circle in the final season?"

1. For Rachel. I think it would be realizing that her heart truly is with the Glee club, and that, while ambition is good, it can blind you to the smaller things in iife. (This "Funny GIrl" storyline has been particualrly abhorrent in it's depiction of Rachel.)
  2. For Kurt, it would be impacting positive change (either on the small scale or the grand scale.)  [Anti-Bullying legislation would be a good plot-thread since that's a thread that's been pulled on consistently over the entire series.
(edited)

There was a fan fiction a couple of years back that I liked where Blaine is inspired by Burt being a congressman to get into politics and public service. Considering what a people pleaser Blaine is and how his character was surprisingly linked to gay marriage with references about it even since Season Two; I always thought that would be an interesting route to go with Blaine.

Singing Senator so to speak.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

and that, while ambition is good, it can blind you to the smaller things in iife

I kind of feel like Rachel has learned that lesson about five hundred times now. That big events in life are important only if you have friends to share them with, etc. Hell, she even skipped her Funny Girl cast party to go clubbing with her friends (to quote PTV's recap, "it's a press event, you bitch", hee). The ambitious, competitive, Tracy Flick-inspired season 1 Rachel (my absolute favorite) would have paled at the idea of staying in Lima for the rest of her life and teaching glee club. And I get that people change and mature and all that, but it's really out of character for Rachel to toss aside her Funny Girl dream and her dreams of being the next Streisand. So that's probably what is going to happen.

I think killing off Will would be far too dark and morbid especially given the tragedy last summer. He's also not even 40 years-old yet, so there's no way it could be anything but tragic.

I think Max Adler was thinking from the POV that there were more tales to tell with the Karofsky character, and as an actor with obvious self interest invested in the character I can't blame him for that.

No he was specifically referring to the response to the character because the comment was brought up in a question about how the viewers of Switched at Birth had responded to his character. And he seemed to equate all of the dislike for Karofsky to Klaine fans feeling threatened by Karofsky in regards to their favorite pairing, because the character he was paired with on the show, is part of a popular fan pairing too (not sure exactly, I don't watch the show). And I just thought that was completely delusional on his part and ignoring a significant aspect of Karofsky's story versus the character he was playing on Switched At Birth.

Yeah I'm sure some Klaine fans were nutty but speaking for myself I hated that redemption stuff with Karofsky not because I gave a crap about Kurt and Blaine but because I was offended at that bullshit of Kurt again having to be a saint and this time for someone who violently abused him. I was one of those viewers who didn't even watch On My Way because of my overwhelming rage at that entire manipulative bullshit including an hour of Kurt's guilt and angst. So I just thought he was either being deliberately obtuse or was just delusional. 

There was a fan fiction a couple of years back that I liked where Blaine is inspired by Burt being a congressman to get into politics and public service. Considering what a people pleaser Blaine is and how his character was surprisingly linked to gay marriage with references about it even since Season Two; I always thought that would be an interesting route to go with Blaine.

Key word...interesting. So it'll never happen. 

I think killing off Will would be far too dark and morbid especially given the tragedy last summer.

Yeah I think it's particularly because of Cory's death I can't see them doing that. Were it not for that, I honestly would not have put it past RIB. 

• Love 1

I wouldn't have put it past RIB, but it still would've been a bad idea IMO. I wouldn't want Will's son to be without a father.

I wouldn't even want characters I hate to be killed off. It's just not the right tone for this show. JMO

I think killing off Will would be far too dark and morbid especially given the tragedy last summer.

I thought about that.

But really, this show started off as being all about Will (look back as S1 and compare to later seasons), and I think it would be a nice circle to have it be about him in the end as well. Moreover, I definitely think this show needs some kind of catalyst to get the "Core Group" back together in an organic way.  And  it also would be a way to get Sue, Emma. Beiste and the GleeClub2.0 back in the mix. (I still maintian that the new cast got royally shafted with the changeover.)

But really, this show started off as being all about Will (look back as S1 and compare to later seasons), and I think it would be a nice circle to have it be about him in the end as well.

It was. The show ended with 100/101.

*whistles*

• Love 4

I'm down with that, but I'm just going to pretend that the Quinn/Puck stuff never happened, because although I didn't hate that pairing, I don't think they're a good match long-term. (I'm just going to pretend all that stuff with Biff didn't happen, either, because that was a total regression for Quinn.)

Lea's done a lot of press recently, so I can't remember precisely where this info came from, but she did say that in S6 Rachel will be back in a location she's been before, but in a different role. Since Murphy seems intent on killing NYC with fire, that leaves me wondering if (1) Rachel's TV show bombs and her treating the people who made her lifelong dream and ambition a reality like shit getting her blackballed on Broadway (deservedly so) drives her back to Lima. (2) Fake-FOX makes fake-Glee starring Rachel Berry actually at McKinley. 

I actually wouldn't put anything past Murphy at this point.

• Love 1
(edited)

I seem to recall someone saying that Season 6 was about "comebacks". Assuming that's true, having Rachel's show bomb in LA, and her having burnt bridges to Broadway and NYADA, perhaps the idea is having her return to Lima (maybe as a Glee Club consultant), seeing it as her only option, and then planning a comeback. Maybe finding a way to reestablish herself on Broadway after all (the last scene of the series could be her ready to leave Lima for New York and spending one last moment with Will, reminiscing). That could be a satisfying, even compelling, story line.

But it's Glee, so who the hell knows.

Edited by Omnihelix
(edited)

Can't say it would be compelling to me.   Probably because the whole time I would be thinking Rachel would have never gotten to this point, or the writers she have had her struggle in the first place.

I don't need to see her fall totally on her face because the writers screwed up what was a easy arc to write that could have had funny moments getting bad parts and moments of doubt from the negative feedback but  instead we got  a hooker boyfriend.

I also don't trust the writers to have her fall on her face to just then skip back to there old stand by of rushing back to her having a part just fall in her lap and she goes back to NY with star billing anyway.

Edited by tom87