Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Discussion

Glory

It's still  a hell of a  contrived setting to shove  them all back to Lima to mentor/teach competition choirs.  Who knows,  maybe all their parents will get cancer like Burt to force them back to McKinley High.

Just the thought of all these now older characters having go through for a 6th (!) season battling Coach/Principal Sue at McKinley High. 

I'm sure the new choir kids will sit in their stools  in the choir room as all these 20 something adults run around singing songs and showing them how it should be done.

I think they will air the first few episodes but if the ratings implode even more they will pull it from the lineup and stick the rest of the episodes on DVD.

Edited by caracas1914

Sure it is contrived but when has that ever stopped Glee before?  It certainly isn't more contrived than Rachel landing FG months into her time in NYC, Kurt landing a prestigious internship at Vogue.com just days after he came to the city, Santana landing a national commercial, their band landing a gig at the Brooklyn "it" spot because the one person who was in their audience had that kind of juice, Mercedes 2 or 3 record contracts, etc.  Glee has been contrived since day 1 but has gotten more so over the years as characterizations became secondary to plot.  

I think that the network has absolutely nil in the way of expectation for the last season. It's going to air at a dead time basically to fill whatever gap needs filling. Glee is basically a zombie of a tv show - rightfully should be in its grave but is still tottering about until someone cuts off it's head and then salts and burns the corpse.

What's sadder is the die hard fans who've stuck by the show from the very start (of which I am one of the few remaining) have no expectations. Well, we expect the worst. Rather than seeing our favorite characters moving on with their adult lives and showing their hard won victories as adults (and I'm not talking about Rachel's magic carpet ride to stardom), we're going to watch them dragged kicking and screaming back to Lima because Ryan Murphy can't get out of the fucking choir room. To see Rachel and Kurt set one foot in Lima after fighting tooth and nail to escape is an insult to their characters.

• Love 1

I don't necessarily think them coming back to Lima for a short time is an insult to their characters.  For example I always assumed Blaine & Kurt would get married at Dalton, given the significance of that location to them, and that there would be some back in Ohio episodes leading up to that. It isn't unusual even in the real world for someone to return to their home town to get married and for them to spend time there beforehand planning it.  I also don't think Rachel taking a 2-4 month break from the show business grind in her hometown, especially if her fathers are still there, in an insult to her character either.  People with professions that aren't based on the 40 hour work week, even in the real world, do that as well.

What would be an insult to Rachel, Blaine,Kurt, and Artie is them wanting to move back to Ohio permanently.  Unfortunately, at least in Rachel's case that is probably the route they will take.  I still don't think that will be the case with Blaine & Kurt, though.  I think it will be clear from the beginning of their time back in Ohio it is for a limited run either because of their upcoming nuptials or Burt is sick again (although Mike O'Malley's new Cosby project may prohibit a Burt story)

Also it should be noted that RM has never cared before whether keeping someone in Lima was an insult to their story.  One of the very first things we learned about Finn is that he wanted to prove himself away from Lima.  By the end of his time on Glee the writing was that Finn would learn to accept that never leaving the comfort zone of Lima, McKinley in particular, was not the same as being a "Lima loser" all because RM needed one his leads to anchor the newbies.  That was always my issue with the story, not him wanting to be a teacher, but rather him never leaving the nest of McKinley, not even for college.

That of course was complementary to the narrative that New York was only for Broadway/music stars, fashionistas, and the people who served them coffee.  If someone didn't have dreams of their name in lights they were not fit for New York.  That is also why I don't see Blaine and Kurt back in Ohio permanently.  No way will they say that special snowflake Blaine isn't meant for stardom.  Even with Rachel she will probably achieve untold success on TV to go with her stunning Broadway debut before she returns back to Lima.  That way if she is back in Lima permanently they can say see she is a star but she is choosing to walk away from it (with the implication that should she choose to go back she will immediately pick back up where she left off in her career) .  Still a suck story, if they go that route, but it woudn't be contrary to RM's Rachel is a supernova proclamation.

Edited by camussie

I don't necessarily think them coming back to Lima for a short time is an insult to their characters.  For example I always assumed Blaine & Kurt would get married at Dalton, given the significance of that location to them, and that there would be some back in Ohio episodes leading up to that. It isn't unusual even in the real world for someone to return to their home town to get married and for them to spend time there beforehand planning it.

Does Ohio allow same-sex marriage? If not, Kurt and Blaine can't get married in Lima.

Not that a simple detail like that would stop Ryan Murpy from forcing a Kledding down our throats anyway.

Ohio does not but I also assumed that would be RM on his soapbox.  It was pretty obvious the whole Blaine/Kurt marriage was a statement about gay marriage and not about the characters themselves.  In case that wasn't clear we had Burt encouraging it when he was adamantly against Rachel/Finn getting engaged as teenagers and the topper was Sam's gay marriage rocks speech.

• Love 1

Blaine's will probably be Kurt's.  Will's will probably be the rotating women and Artie who i think it going to be filming all of this for some sort of documentary.  I also think some how Sue will be the main protagonist for all three groups so Will will take the lead in battling her.  

What rotating women? Will is married, and I doubt RIB will undo that in the last season.

I think it's more likely that the writers will contrive a way for Will to interact with Rachel and Blaine.

Edited by Sara2009

If Tina only returns to play Meg Griffin to the cast's collective Peter, they may as well have Jenna stay home. It's obvious someone loathes her, and it's made for horrible TV the past two seasons.

• Love 2

The rotating women are indeed Naya, Amber, and Jenna.  Each are rumored to be doing 4 episodes, probably to give the illusion that the show isn't actually Rachel and the boys.  I also assume Will will be interacting with the other glee club coaches - Sam/Rachel & Blaine but I still think is main scene partners are going to be the rotating women and Sue.  

Edited by camussie

I'm trying to figure out why Schue would have any interactions with Santana, Mercedes or Tina, since he had pretty no relationship with them in the past. His only real connections with the remaining students were Finn and Rachel - and Sam, I guess.  Am I missing someone?  Plus, he'll now be at Vocal Adrenaline - so he won't even have the McKinley background to draw them in.  I could definitely see the writers pairing Will up with Sue, and they're both used as infrequently and poorly as in the past.

Plus, I will be bitter if Naya and Amber never star at the same time - I want another duet!

He had a relationship with Unique too, but I don't think she'll be on much if at all.

With that being said, I'd love for the writers to build a relationship between Will and some of the remaining students.

A source who usually gets fairly accurate glee spoilers said earlier in the summer that there was a plan in place to have Unique be assistant or whatever at VA and that got nixed.  My guess is for budgetary reasons.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if Artie/Kevin ends up being a guest star as well although if they want to do this importance of arts education theme they can have Artie filming a documentary on three former teammates competing against each other as a tie in to all of that.  

In the end I suspect there will be no hard feelings from Will/Blaine & Kurt/Rachel & Sam towards each other as they will all band together against the common enemy of Sue.  That is where Will play the biggest role as he is protagonist to Sue's antagonist.  

Ugh. I was avoiding this thread because I knew I wouldn't like anything I would read. I was right. I bet FOX will do zero promotion for the final season and probably will stick it on Friday nights.

See. Thats a logical way to explain why Artie is back in Ohio but because it's logical it won't be why he is there.   I just find myself sad that the way I kind of saw the character of Rachel ending was with her winning a Tony or something and instead she's going to be back in her hometown. 

Even Lea Michele saw it as Rachel winning a Tony at the end.  

Someone in the costume department tweeted they start on Glee August 11. I'm guessing that much of preproduction stuff revs up by then.

Curious if the delay in filming will have the writers for once  have more than a handful of episodes written before the season commences. There's really no reason they can't have 5 or 6 episodes written and all 13 episodes mapped out by September.  

Edited by caracas1914

Not surprising. Sam/Rachel will need students to coach.  I am sure there will also be some characters cast for the Warblers and VA as well.  At least this time they aren't carbon copies of the originals which is what they should have done in their attempt to repopulate the choir room in season 4.  As far as the students they are casting being major characters I think they will be more than glorified extras but they won't even be close to leads.  They will be there as conduits for Sam/Rachel's, Blaine with a side of Kurt, and Will's stories.  

Edited by camussie

And yet another helping of the "right" kind of gay character that no one messes with. What a way to keep insulting the original gay character on the show who spent much of his time at McKinely being harassed, abused and ignored because he was capital G Gay (and it continued in NY where Blaine gets all the goodies while Kurt gets the crumbs).

• Love 1

Had to peek in when I saw that casting news.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

God, this show is terrible.  

ETA: 

And yet another helping of the "right" kind of gay character that no one messes with. What a way to keep insulting the original gay character on the show who spent much of his time at McKinely being harassed, abused and ignored because he was capital G Gay (and it continued in NY where Blaine gets all the goodies while Kurt gets the crumbs).

I can't even get mad about that, because Ryan Murphy's enormous issues here are so patent and pathetic and embarrassingly laid bare.

Edited by bravelittletoaster
  • Love 3

I actually think having a gay character whose sexuality is being treated as just a de facto part of who they are is a good thing for Glee.  They have already had a lot of focus on LGBT bullying issues so this is a new approach for them regarding an LGBT character.  I also think showing that there are all sorts of gay men out there is a good thing as well.  

My guess is RM pulled out some of his original ideas for the character of Sam (who was rumorred at first to be cast as a love interest for Kurt) when creating Spencer.  

Edited by camussie

Why are they always sophomores? Is there a minimum time served...er, grade requirement to join glee club that I just don't know?

"Post-Glee gay"? Isn't that more like "post-Kurt gay"...'cause the show's not even over yet!

I actually think having a gay character whose sexuality is being treated as just a de facto part of who they are is a good thing for Glee.  They have already had a lot of focus on LGBT bullying issues so this is a new approach for them regarding an LGBT character.  I also think showing that there are all sorts of gay men out there is a good thing as well.  

My guess is RM pulled out some of his original ideas for the character of Sam (who was rumorred at first to be cast as a love interest for Kurt) when creating Spencer.  

They've already done that and his name is Blaine Anderson. This is just more recycling since RIB apparently don't have a single original idea left in their empty skulls.

• Love 1

I don't think they did the "gay men come in all shapes and sizes" thing with Blaine since I think he is more a stereotypical gay man.  I do agree that since the Spencer character is most likely a version of Sam's original characterization, before they decided to pair him with Quinn instead of Kurt, they don't have any original ideas.  

Wow, this show just keeps on giving and giving and giving...

The gay football jock just kills me, it's every fantasy that Ryan Murphy believes when he claims he "dated" football players back in 80's Indiana high school...

"Post Glee Gay"... My ass.

• Love 2

I don't think they did the "gay men come in all shapes and sizes" thing with Blaine since I think he is more a stereotypical gay man.  I do agree that since the Spencer character is most likely a version of Sam's original characterization, before they decided to pair him with Quinn instead of Kurt, they don't have any original ideas.  

Yeah, but we already had the gay jock (albeit closeted) with Karofsky, the only difference will be that this guy is out and won't encounter any trouble with it, just like Blaine never had any issues on-screen. I agree with caracas1914 that this is just Murphy fulfilling his fantasies, and one more bonerboy to shove down the viewers throats.

• Love 3

The episodes  will all be produced and in the can so  of course there will be no feedback once Glee airs so what RM does is final. 

Based on past history, there is no way RM is going to resist giving his new toys some songs and focus, which means other than Rachel , Blaine  and probably Sam  the rest of the older characters will get the shaft once more.

Absolutely amazing... I'm going into season sux with absolutely nil in the way of expectations and Ryan Murphy still manages to disappoint me.

It's a gift, I guess...

Based on past history, there is no way RM is going to resist giving his new toys some songs and focus, which means other than Rachel , Blaine  and probably Sam  the rest of the older characters will get the shaft once more.

Totally agree here. With absolutely no spoilers for Kurt or Artie (the last of the "regulars" not accounted for), I highly doubt that either of them will have any kind of storyline that happens on screen. Kurt will just be an accessory for the dreaded Klaine wedding in the finale.

On the upside, there's a lot less chance for their characters to get ruined. Too much attention certainly didn't do Blaine and Sam any good, and it utterly destroyed Rachel. So maybe falling out of favor is not necessarily a bad thing.

Ah well... I'm just going to have fun watching the complete and total train wreak that this season will be. The explosions should be entertaining.

The irony is, if the overreaching  arc of Season 6  Glee  is performing  arts in high school, these students should get focus, otherwise that theme has no narrative thrust.   You can’t have nameless entities with no background stories, no journey of their own.   It doesn’t work that way.  It’s the creative call  to harken back to high school choirs that dictates the need to flesh out these characters.

These characters need group songs and solos.   Their abilities need to be highlighted, otherwise there is no tension or urgency as to why it matters if their particular voices are silenced with no more funding for the arts.

So three guesses as to what other characters will get neglected and sidelined as far as story lines in order to give focus to the new cast/students.

I do hope Chris/Kurt gets a few good numbers out of this last season.

Edited by caracas1914

I'm still caught up on the notion that it's 'tradition' keeping a girl out of the Warblers...

Do the Glee writers ever engage their brains before they toss this shit out?

It's not tradition that's at issue. It's the fact that it is, and has always been, an all-boys school... for some hundred-odd years. And if they've let girls into the school, after some hundred-odd years, they're not going to keep them out of the extra-curriculars.

I wonder why it is that the littlest fuckeries seem to annoy me the most.

Not even gonna touch the post-Glee gay.

• Love 3
I wonder why it is that the littlest fuckeries seem to annoy me the most.

Becasue they are done for weak plot points or to negate  character traits out of the blue.

When you think Glee cannot think of other ways to inflict self harm and make the show even worst that what you thought it could ever possibly become you can count on Ryan Murphy to remove all doubts. This, this is what they have been brainstorming about for a series finale? Are they purposely trying to drive the remaining fans away? Possibly most of the "original" cast refused to give more of their time but out of loyalty will grace the halls of WMHS to appease Ryan and get it over with so they can truly move on. I'm just shaking my head at this foolery and fuckery. 

Becasue they are done for weak plot points or to negate  character traits out of the blue.

And because I think that paid professionals should be held to a higher standard than the average fanfic writer, let alone failing to achieve it by a country mile...

I'm just shaking my head at this foolery and fuckery. 

"Season Sux: the Foolery & the Fuckery"

Sounds like a winning thread title to me...

Edited by heyerchick
  • Love 1

Why are they always sophomores? Is there a minimum time served...er, grade requirement to join glee club that I just don't know?

"Post-Glee gay"? Isn't that more like "post-Kurt gay"...'cause the show's not even over yet!

You know, just in case they want to make another spinoff. HAHAHAHAHA. Just joking. Oh god.....Fox wouldn't do that, right?

Typical Glee if you aren't a size 2 or a pretty boy or girl (by his definition) you can't possibly feel like you don't deserve to be on top of your game. Ryan Murphy has learned nothing. I'm not sure if the "chubby" described man is African American or not but singing like Otis Redding sort of implies that he is, sorry but why couldn't they get a hunky African American male to play this role. Being chubby doesn't necessarily make you an "underdog" as he is the only one they specifically attached this name to, shaking my head, shaking my mutha effing head! Glee might be the biggest bully to ever get away with bullying under the false pretense of exposing all the other bullies in the world. Don't get me started with the "post Glee gay" is Ryan Murphy and company so arrogant or maybe just stupid enough to think that their not so well written after school PSAs made an impact. I can't with this man or his pitiful writing team!

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 3

I love how the overweight student is a "true underdog" but the accepted gay is " a football stud".

Some things never change.

Ryan's wanted that traditionally masculine, popular, gay football player for ages. In his dreams and on the show. I'm not surprised he's finally going there now. It's not like there's any reason to reign him in anymore. The show's already cancelled and cut down. The Friday Gordon Ramsay yells at incompetent business owners shows pull better numbers than Glee did by the end of the season. So I figure Saturday or DVD/on demand. 

• Love 1

Wow. Just when you think things can't get more ridiculous with this show, more news of season six comes around. I know that they were going to need new students for I'm guessing Sam to

teach-and Rachel, possibly- but.. ugh. I could

care less. I don't know. I just feel like aside from

Rachel, Sam, and probably Blaine along with

these new kids who I don't care about are going

to be the focus of the last season. Ugh. Oh Glee

Season Six I'm So Over You and you won't on

till 2015.

Personally, I think it's possible that Sam will be at Carmel with Will.

I saw someone tweet today that they have an audition for Glee tomorrow. Sort of confused, did Glee provide the casting list of what they are looking for without the roles already being filled. I was under the impression with the names and descriptions of the characters being released today they had already selected who would be filling those roles. Wow do I continue to be surprised by this show. I wonder how much of season 5 will be forgotten or will (will they completely erase Sam and Mercedes after all their declarations of love and talk of marriage, like they forgot them  in season 4? Upon Santana and Mercedes return from touring how will they explain the absence of Brittany, you know major story line plots they created) they just retcon that season like they did season 4 to justify their story narrative. Why do I let this show piss me off so much? I guess because as a fan I don't like being insulted or thought to be a mindless fan who will accept whatever dribble they try to pass as writing. No other show have I ever watched displayed such total disregard for its fans. I'm sure between now and whatever premiere date is set for Glee they will continue to boggle my mind with their dumb ass press releases, oh goodie I just can't contain my excitement.

What's the point of establishing a bunch of new characters at this point?  I just don't have the energy to get to know a brand new set.  I can't believe I am saying this, but I'd rather see Marley, Jake, Ryder, Unique and that other one as the seat warmers.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

My guess is that Blaine as the choir director at Dalton lets them easily slide him back to his  S2 persona.  Singing stand alone plot independent solos  with the Warblers as adoring background singers.  

Probably for RIB the problem with the NY setting was it deprived Blaine/Sam of any "leader" or "star" status by default.  McKinley and Dalton solves that easily.

Whatever female guest star (Santana, Mercedes, Brittany or Tina) du jour is on that week  will be featured in the McKinley choir room interacting with the new Noobs and Rachel/Sam is my guess.

What I find truly offensive is that yet another "straight" seeming gay will get a free ride (the Football player) but Ryan Murphy will try to pass it as genuine progress at McKinley.   I guess only effeminate gays and transgenders need worry about being  bashed or bullied is the message.  All it takes to be accepted is to be a tough gay football stud who kicks ass.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3
Personally, I think it's possible that Sam will be at Carmel with Will.

I really doubt that because  I think someone is going to have to be the catalyst to get Rachel involved in reviving ND and I think that someone will be Sam since we last saw him in the halls of McKinney.  On top of that I think the plans were already set to have it be Sam/Rachel vs. Blaine/side of Kurt vs. Will/side of Unique and the Unique part got dropped due to budget.  

There is also the fact that Beiste is back and since Will won't be around I think she will serve as Sam's mentor and maybe even gives him the idea of asking Rachel for help.  As for how Sam gets Rachel involved if the giving back theme is accurate I still think she will be a big star and he says he needs star power in order for the school to fund ND.  Rachel, either needing a break or even considering hanging it all up, eagerly agrees to help.

Edited by camussie