Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Discussion

Glory

I'm kind of hoping the episode title "The Back-Up Plan," especially after an episode titled "Opening Night," is a hint that Funny Girl doesn't turn out as well as hoped.  Finally some real adversity and setback Rachel has to face in NY?

EXTENDED SUMMARY: Tested

Blaine discovers his newfound love of “cronuts” has the residual side-effect of weight gain - namely, the dreaded “Freshman Fifteen.” Combined with witnessing a more physically fit and self-confident Kurt’s star rapidly rising at NYADA while his simultaneously wanes, the increasingly pudgy former dreamboat begins to suffer a crisis in confidence… leading to some uncharacteristic behavior. As “Film School Artie” enjoys a success with the ladies that “High School Artie” never could have hoped for, he is quick to avail himself of all opportunities presented him. However, he soon discovers that his Casanova’s ways come at a price, one which may preclude him from making the one special connection he truly desires. As roommates Sam and Mercedes explore being a couple, she confesses that she is still a virgin and is not sure when (or if) she will be ready for them to make love for the first time. While the smitten Sam agrees to wait as long as she wants, he nevertheless tries to do everything he can to prove his worthiness and expedite the process… while she seeks outside advice from several sources.

Blaine suffers a crisis of confidence after gaining the dreaded “Freshman Fifteen.” Artie discovers that his newfound success with the ladies comes at a price. Mercedes tells Sam she’s still a virgin.

SPECIAL GUESTS:

Mercedes Jones: AMBER RILEY

PRODUCTION CREDITS:

Written by: RUSSEL FRIEND and GARRETT LERNER

Directed by: PAUL MCCRANE

http://fuckyeatvshows.tumblr.com/post/81037694762/5x16-extended-summary: source is FOX Fast

The extended summary is out for 5x17, Opening Night too.

EXTENDED SUMMARY:

With her Broadway debut looming large, Rachel - feeling the mounting pressure of opening night - wakes from her “actor’s nightmare.” Despite almost unanimous critical praise following the show’s previews, she finds herself falling victim to the seemingly endless stream of random bloggers and anonymous internet trolls determined to tear her down. While Kurt does his best to insulate her from the haters – turning the loft into a “hermetically sealed love bubble filled with nothing but positive affirmations” - he finds it a near impossible task, and the rest of the gang must pitch in to try and rouse Rachel from her uncharacteristic bout of insecurity in time for the curtain to rise. Meanwhile, Sue tags along with Will and the pair travel to New York for Rachel’s big night. While Will hopes to support his former student as she tries to fulfill her lifelong dream, Sue attends the show operating under the assumption it will flop and Rachel will choke. However, both Will and Sue get more than they bargained for when their evenings take unexpected turns.

SPECIAL GUESTS:

AMBER RILEY Mercedes Jones
LAUREN POTTER Becky Jackson
BILL A. JONES Rod Remington
EARLENE DAVIS Andrea Carmichael
MAX ADLER Dave Karofsky
JOSH SUSSMAN Jacob Ben Israel
PRODUCTION CREDITS:

Written by: MICHAEL HITCHCOCK
Directed by: ERIC STOLTZ

From here, source is FoxFast I believe.

Seriously, that has the potential to be my favorite episode in forever.  Now if they would also point out Blaine's bald spot, I'd probably smile for a week.  I know they won't, but hey I can wish.   

And Kurt better not back down at NYADA to soothe Blaine's hurt little feelings.

• Love 2

I still won't be watching it because I can't abide the screentime for Blaine and my girls are AWOL, but I must say I like the idea of this plotline.  And also am enjoying the fallout online.  :)

I will raise you that I freaking LOVE the idea of this plotline. And I am an abashed Klaine shipper of the nth degree! 

I just want to see them have relationship issues that are NORMAL! And that don't involve cheating. I mean, who hasn't had that feeling with their significant other before? Plus, to borrow from "How I Met Your Mother" there is a reacher and a settler in every relationship and for a long time it's been that Blaine is the hot stud who settled for poor wittle Kurtsie and now we're getting this turn around that, "Hey! Kurt is the king of the castle here!" 

I'm so stoked and I haven't been stoked for an episode of Glee in at least a season and a half. 

Side note: I will absolutely die if they remember that Kurt beat Rachel in the NYADA diva-off and he gets some recognition for that in front of Blaine. 

...almost unanimous critical praise following the show’s previews...

1. The out-of-town run was so successful that the promoters awarded Rachel a 24/7 car and driver (5x14 spoiler summary). (There would have been at least several weeks of performances in one or more large cities with professional reviews in major newspapers, as well as audience reaction accompanied by commentary in blogs and social media.)

2. Before opening night, there would have been several weeks of previews in the show's Broadway theater, again reported to have been successful.

3. One of the pictures shot during the NYC filming was of the outside of the theater, featuring a poster containing: " **** " - The New York Times. (The NYT only reviews opening night**, and NEVER awards stars or any other quantitative critical measure. But what can you expect from people who didn't realize Julliard doesn't do musical theater, NYADA wouldn't do ballet, and mentally dividing two large numbers is what autistic idiot savants, not mathematical "geniuses", do.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2582245/Lea-Michele-shoots-scenes-Glee-New-Yorks-iconic-St-James-Theatre-Rachel-Berry-heads-Broadway.html

So, unless TPTB are prepared to renege on what they have already made public (nah?) and RM, who has purchased the rights to FG and discussed directors and Nicky-casting with Lea, has suddenly forgotten on which side his bread is buttered, Rachel is likely to live up to the promise of "You Are Woman" and her upcoming (5x14) "People".

**The NYT made an exception for Streisand's understudy's two-performance stand-in, and her former Erasmus High SCHOOLMATE promptly left the show to begin a substantial career after receiving a great review. (Where have you gone, Santana Lopez?)

Edited by Higgs

I actually don't find Kurt or Chris Colfer hot in the least while I do think Darren is really handsome, yes bald spot and all. Of course that's probably personal taste as I've always preferred darker skinned/haired guys. But I will concede that the second they went with that pee wee herman wardrobe for Blaine, I've been unable to buy the "alpha gay" crap in the Glee universe. Because I refuse to believe anyone would find any guy wearing those stupid bow ties and ugly shirts, hot.

Meanwhile none of these episode summaries exactly inspire me to watch. I have no desire to see the return of Kurt, the tragic gay with that Bash nonsense. The Tested episode sounds okay I guess but nothing too exciting and considering I still think it is beyond stupid that Rachel is already starring on Broadway, I have zero interest in her big debut. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

I kinda wish something in Rachel's night are would come true. I mean, it's all to easy for her with Funny Girl. Where's the intrigue?!

Also, despite having a fondness of Darren Criss and Blaine I'm looking forward to the plotline where Kurt is rightfully shown as the guy who's on top (mind the pun)...

Did we really need to bring back Karofsky?  That was a character/storyline that reached a natural end.  (but then, this is Glee, so...)

Yeah that's when I knew I really wasn't going to watch. Talk about a character I was glad to never see again, ever. But some have speculated it may be part of Rachel's nightmare or whatever about opening night and maybe it includes people who made fun of her or teased her in high school. I think the guy who plays Jacob Ben Israel is also listed as a guest star, as well the actress playing Becky and I just can't see these people being included in a major part of the plot in NY. But then again, as you say, this is Glee so the thing that seems to make the least sense, is what's most likely to happen.

Edited by truthaboutluv

I was naive enough to think when I saw Karofsky listed in an upcoming episode that he'd be visiting Kurt after he's "gay bashed" or whatever .  Personally I think it's kind of a shame and sort of a non-sensical one if they use him in Rachel's bad dream.  They never really interacted at all.  I know a lot of people have issues with his character, but I felt like they did rehabilitate him.  Clumsily and ham-fistedly, as Glee is wont to do, but still.  So to me, with no real horse in this race, it would have been nicer to give him a grace note than reach way back past the rehabilitation and use him as a boogie man again.  

But it's Glee.  Talking about what would be nice and make sense is generally a moot point here.

I'm very curious about the episode that Chris is going to write. The episode right before the finale seems an odd choice.

I bet it's the only episode from this season to be nominated for anything.

And I'll bet that it gets nominated for nothing just like everything else with Glee. I don't see Glee being nominated for anything anymore other than I don't know make-up or something like that and maybe guest star in the Comedy category. I do know that he can't possibly be any crappier than the usual writers, so there is that.

Edited by truthaboutluv

Chris's film was all right, I suppose. I agree that he can't be worse than the usual crew. I allowed myself to get my hopes up when RIB hired Ali Adler, but nothing changed. My favorite (by which I mean least-hated) episode this season ("Frenemies") was written by a guy who I don't think has ever written for TV before, let alone for Glee.

If the show could have the shits fest which was the Blam/Noobs for 32 episodes I don't think Max Adler ( as Karofky) who I consider a very good actor is somehow in danger of lowering the show's quality standards. I agree with Bravetoaster that he was somewhat rehabilitated and I always thought Max made Karofsky interesting.

It's a pity if he's wasted in a nightmare sequence which sort of negates the closure the character previously had with him and Kurt visualizing a better future for Dave.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Personally for me it has nothing to do with the actor's ability and the fact that I find the character pointless. Of course I thought the character should have been done with after Kurt saw him in the bar in early S3 and he seemed happy at his new school and tentatively accepting his sexuality. That mess in Heart was annoying and I didn't even watch the shitfest that was On My Way. I think I only saw the Regional performances from that episode a few months ago on Netflix. That's how much I avoided the episode. As far as I was concerned it was cheap, manipulative bullshit and I for one was happy to never have to see the character again. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

I don't remember where, but I read something recently about Kurt coming across an old enemy, so I would hope Karofsky was more a part of Kurt's story than anyone else's. However the storyline(s) went down they did act well together IMO.

The Quarterback may get some nods, but yeah, Glee's award days seem to be over.

The line about Kurt coming across an old enemy is in the extended summary for Bash and Max Adler is only listed for the Opening Night episode. Based on what happens or at least is rumored to happen in Bash, I'd say the "old enemy" is his being attacked for his sexuality. Because let's face it, it has been awhile since the writers have given us Kurt, the tragic gay. 

Because let's face it, it has been awhile since the writers have given us Kurt, the tragic gay.

Not that I trust this show or anything, but I thought the spoilers were that Kurt hears someone being beaten up, and he tries to help.  The person getting beaten up might have been gay, but I didn't think Kurt's "sexual preference" as the press release suggested, plays a part in the incident.

Yes that's what the spoilers make it seem like but the point is from the extended summary, it still seems like we're going to get an episode involving Kurt dealing with the harsh realities of being gay and I don't know, learning the lesson that even the big city is not as different as Lima. Because even if he gets bashed from trying to help some other guy being beaten for being gay, the point is still the same. 

I definitely thought the Blaine weight issues storyline had to be fake because it sounded so terrible, but then I should have known that it's Glee. I personally find Darren incredibly hot and he is the only person on my pass list with my fiancé, but definitely agree Kurt is hotter than Blaine. I like Darren when he's got his scruff and curly hair and not wearing some of the fugliest clothing ever made. It's about time they acknowledged that Kurt has grown in a damn fine man. 

I'm kind of super hoping that Rachel falls flat on her face with Funny Girl, mainly because I'm so sick of the Rachel is the most talented person ever to have lived storyline and pretty much just hate her character. 

So not looking forward to Karofsky coming back. His storyline has been tied up like 20 different times now. I'd much rather just keep seeing Max Adler on Switched at Birth. 

• Love 1

Still cannot believe they are going to milk the virginity SL on Glee yet again, and this time with the last character standing  they haven't had a sexual encounter referenced for:  Mercedes.

It's not that it's unrealitic that could be a personal decision Mercedes made, ie not to have sex yet , but that it's probably going to devolve into the mysoginistic mess all Glee/virgin/SL's descend to.  What is the point, that Sam is going to deflower her becaue he's all that and determined to show he loves her?   There is literally nothing they can do with his character other than pair him with some LI for whom he changes his personaltiy once again.

Edited by caracas1914

I think Blaine fans should feel really happy about this idea of a weight gain plot. It’s an opportunity for a meaty storyline for him, and it will eventually resolve itself; they surely won’t have Blaine running around in a padded suit for more than an episode or two since they need him for musical numbers. It will be interesting to see if they extend that fall and resurrection of the Alpha over a few weeks, letting it bleed into other aspects of his personality and his NYADA life, or if they will expedite it in a little narrative pirouette at the end of that episode. After all, it did take some time for Kurt to find his bearings and establish himself in the NYADA hierarchy; not that he is quite on top, but it would be amusing if RM intends for both of them to become the gay power couple that rules the roost together at the school. Although they are still first year students (or perhaps third semester for Kurt, depending on the length of the time jump) and that would be a stretch for either of the two (but this is Glee)

After the disappointment of the last two episodes, with the older Gleeks involved in plots that ranged from dumb to pointess with a heavy dose of annoyance, I am cautiously optimistic about this NYC move. They have a very good combination of characters in their smaller core cast that opens up lots of possibilities; it seems that the first outing will be lighthearted while we will shift into drama the very week after. It will be strange not to have the Sophomores and Lima around, especially since I generally enjoyed most of the beginning of this season (Becky excluded, and she is slated for a return I see),

I will absolutely die if they remember that Kurt beat Rachel in the NYADA diva-off and he gets some recognition for that in front of Blaine.

If it is mentioned, I am sure he will do what he has always been written as doing when Kurt sings, i.e smile admiringly.

... they surely won’t have Blaine running around in a padded suit for more than an episode or two since they need him for musical numbers.

I don't think they are going to put Darren in a padded suit. The show has pointed out flaws and hurled insults at characters based on the characteristics of the actors since the show first started. Never have they artificially played up any of these "flaws" before. You're just supposed to go with it.

Edited by coolbeans3131
  • Love 2
Because even if he gets bashed from trying to help some other guy being beaten for being gay, the point is still the same.

To me, it is different, in the sense that had Kurt been straight, that wouldn't have prevented him from being beaten, so he is not the "tragic gay" here.

I get what you mean in the sense that the show's point is that homophobia still exists out of Lima, but that is a truth that is valable both for him and Blaine. And yes, this is once again Glee venturing in the "Very Special Episode" territory, but if Ryan wanted to go there anyway, I'd rather have Chris Colfer handle this storyline than Darren Criss, purely on an acting point of view.

• Love 2

And yes, this is once again Glee venturing in the "Very Special Episode" territory, but if Ryan wanted to go there anyway, I'd rather have Chris Colfer handle this storyline than Darren Criss, purely on an acting point of view.

I agree. It's not a storyline I would have asked for or wanted, but hopefully Chris will act the hell out of it. It's been a while since he's been allowed to do that.

I don't think they are going to put Darren in a padded suit. The show has pointed out flaws and hurled insults at characters based on the characteristics of the actors since the show first started. Never have they artificially played up any of these "flaws" before. You're just supposed to go with it.

Or even worse, to perceived physical characteristics per less than flattering internet comments from fans about the actors. I still remember Dean Geyer's character Brody referred to by Santana as "donkey face", which was obviously culled from social media comments.

And yes, this is once again Glee venturing in the "Very Special Episode" territory, but if Ryan wanted to go there anyway, I'd rather have Chris Colfer handle this storyline than Darren Criss, purely on an acting point of view.

And as with my comment about Karofsky, I don't care about the actor's ability, good or bad. I don't care that Chris Colfer could pull it off better than Darren Criss. The point is that I don't want to see it at all for the very reasons you have mentioned - i.e. another cheap PSA episode. Whether or not it is Kurt helping out someone else who is getting bashed for being gay, this is still Kurt learning another hard lesson about the realities of his sexuality. Yeah, we got it the first couple of times.

And as good as an actor as Colfer is, repeated scenes of the same stuff eventually loses its strength and luster. I stopped being moved by Kurt and the tragic gay stories maybe about mid-S2. Of course I should not be surprised that the show delivers another redundant storyline as all they've been doing for two seasons is recycling shit. Not to mention this is the show that still pretty much writes cheating plots for every couple when they want to create some drama in the relationship. Original writing is not exactly their forte.

If Ryan didn't make him parade around shirtless so much he wouldn't have even noticed it.  Presumably.

Other than the episode with Roar, I honestly don't remember Blaine being shirtless often. I wished he was so I'd be spared his horrible shirts and bow-ties. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

I was thinking most recently of Roar, but also I remember his underdeveloped pecs being on display for some sort of beefcake calendar, but I don't remember when that was.  A little of that goes a very long way with me, so my perception may be that there's been more of that than there has.  

Yes he was shirtless for the calendar and in both that and Roar, all the guys were shirtless (well I guess save for Artie) so it's not like they just have the character running around all the time with his shirt off. Now Chord has been shirtless  but even that I wouldn't say has been that numerous. 

@truthaboutluv

Oh, I do agree that the re-hash of previous storylines is tiring, but I'm not expecting much more from these writers, they have proven this past season and a half that their creativity and ability to construct interesting storylines was basically inexistant. So if I have to sit and watch the same story done to the nth degree anyway, I'd rather have it at least portrayed by a capable actor.

Just like when it comes to Blaine's storyline in 5x16, I know that it will end up in him being propped left and right and comforted in the fact that he is Mr Golden boy and that he is fantastic, just like in previous seasons. On the same level, Rachel never seemed to struggle because there were people if not better at least equally as talented as her, but rather because she had a mean dance teacher. She didn't struggle with having an understudy or a difficult director with clashing artistic view, she struggled with Santana being mean to her. I feel like we are bound to see repeated patterns because the writers just don't care anymore, anyway.

Same goes for the characters' interactions: in my wildest hopes, the writers would take the opportunity of the move to NY to shake stuffs a bit, but it seems like we'll have Blam/Klaine/Samcedes/Hummelberry, whereas I wish we could see more of Blaine with Artie, Sam and Kurt, etc. I was disappointed Glee didn't use more Kurt/Santana scenes sans Rachel, for instance.  

So I completely side with you when it comes to the point and plot of the episode, I just try to see the "good" side of it, I guess.

Yes he was shirtless for the calendar and in both that and Roar, all the guys were shirtless (well I guess save for Artie) so it's not like they just have the character running around all the time with his shirt off. Now Chord has been shirtless  but even that I wouldn't say has been that numerous. 

Right.  So my point was if they hadn't done that I don't think you'd even know that Darren lacks definition around his middle.  He's certainly generally a fit person,  he's just not Chord Overstreet.  So if they've decided they want to build a plot point around his physical imperfections I'm surprised they didn't go for the baldness, but maybe the Glee writers actually do pull their punches when going after the actors' physical flaws.

<insincere Santana golf clap>

It would be weird to go after his baldness to me given that the way they style it on the show covers it up. If I hadn't seen the stuff about it from ontd and such, I wouldn't have a clue that he had a bald spot. Of course I also think it's weird if they go after his "fatness" unless they put a fat pad on him like that dude on Mindy because Darren may not have a six pack, but his body is fine. Honestly, I have always been disturbed by the show's going after the actors' looks, whether it was making fun of Cory's weight, the fat jokes about Mercedes and Lauren, Mark's puffiness, "donkey face" etc. It doesn't seem good-natured to me, just mean. And the implication that Rachel was a "butterball" in season 1 is flat out disturbing.

I'm still just excited to see Blaine taken down a peg or two.

I would love to see Sam and Kurt scenes.  And  for them to remember that they even lived together for a spell.  And if Sam really is the new Finn as they hit us  over the hit with a mallet in City of Angels, have Kurt start to reach out carefully that having Sam around makes him a little less sad. (Of course they could have bonded Kurt like that with Puck...hi Sneaker.)   And with Sam pursuing a modeling career now, Kurt's fashion contacts could help connect the two.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

For me it isn't even so much going after the actors' looks, bad as that is, it's that the writing's not even clever when they do it. That's what most gets me about the Glee writers. They clearly think they are so awesome and clever, as evidenced by their annoying overuse of meta which I know they probably think is so adorable and awesome. But in reality all their stuff is cheap repetition of the same crap they've done multiple times already.

Oh and ftr, one of the behind the scenes people on Glee denies that they are going after a real flaw of Darren's. I guess a fan tweeted that it was shitty of the show to make fun of him for gaining a few pounds and the guy claims that Darren actually looks fine and the joke is actually because he's not fat and it's just a storyline. You know what's hilarious about that though, the fan defending Darren is kind of knocking him at the same time by basically saying he's gained weight.

I like Darren well enough but I have to say it is kind of interesting for a change to see a famous male celebrity being judged for not being physically perfect, as the females get so often. But seriously it is just as shitty as when women get it and as with the women, Darren looks fine. There is no requirement that guys must have some six pack abs imo. Of course I'm of the variety that finds guys like Ben Affleck and Vince Vaughn hot so there you go. 

eta: One of my main unpopular Glee opinions - I think the Sam/Kurt friendship/potential friendship is grossly exaggerated and I never bought the idea that this apparently great friendship was sold out in favor of Sam and Blaine. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
Now Chord has been shirtless  but even that I wouldn't say has been that numerous.

Actually in the case of Sam, they've showed him shirtless or put him in storylines where his physical attributes are supposed to be a big deal quite a few times, even starting back in Season 2.  The Rocky Horror Picture Show with the gold shorts and than in "Never Been Kissed" explaining to Finn how he needs to work to maintained ripped (while shirtless naturally) in the locker room.   Segue to Season 3 and being a teenage stripper and then his "sexy" moves for a competition performance. Let's not even go with Season 4 and Season 5 with "Naked" and "junk the size of car". 

Plus in the context how little they showed the God Mike Chang (aka Harry Shum Jr.) shirtless , yeah, it's been quite numerous.

It's more that the show constantly pushes how "hot" Sam and Blaine are.  It becomes overkill when they just repeat that over and over.   Similar to how Glee pushes how Rachel is the most talented Broadway bound singer on the planet, after awhile you start noticing things.  With Rachel I start to notice that yes, she's talented, but no, she's not head and shoulders above every else.

Edited by caracas1914

Admittedly I stopped watching Glee on a regular basis in S4 and have pretty much watched in passing this season, and that's when I actually remember it's on, but that being said, while I will give you all the stuff about Sam because I actually do remember all that, is Blaine really constantly pushed as hot on the show? I see this repeated a lot and it is certainly stated as a fact but when I sit and think about it I wonder if it is more that it's been said enough that it's become accepted as fact versus actually happening on the show.

Yes, Tina had a very creepy crush on Blaine but Mercedes had a crush on Kurt back in S1. But other than that, and not including stuff that happened while Blaine was still at Dalton (since the character has had like two personality changes since then not to mention two different ages), who is really calling or considering Blaine hot on the show? And yeah Kurt called him the alpha-gay during their argument in DWS but that entire dialogue in that scene sounded ripped from the discussion boards about the show. And yes, Sebastian was a horndog after Blaine but Kurt had both Chandler and Adam interested in him. He was the one who wasn't interested, it wasn't the other way around. 

I guess this kind of reminds me of a recent discussion I had about The Vampire Diaries. Someone made the comment that the characters all do crappy stuff but then pull the moral high ground with each other and I then realized that actually they really don't. It just seems that way because the viewers spend a lot of time debating whose crimes are worse than the others and which character is worse than the other. I just sometimes wonder if it isn't the same with Blaine and even with some other things about the show that get stated as a fact.

Edited by truthaboutluv
Blaine really constantly pushed as hot on the show?

Yes.  It hopefully will die down more now that the character Tina has most likely been sidelined and the McKinley narrative squashed.  The set up isn't  there anymore and Tina was just downright cringe-inducing  embarrassing in her adoration.

On the Rachel front, The spoilers so far are not giving any indication that Rachel is heading for a fall, though "The Backup Plan" could indicate "Funny Girl" doesn't quite go as planned.  The show can't seem to  pull the trigger in showing Rachel failing in anything becasue she's not quite good enough.

Carmen's "critique" of her progress at NYADA could have repercussions if Rachel quits school and then crashes and burns in her Broadway Opening but I can't see the show giving Rachel that kind of a setback.

Edited by caracas1914