Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Discussion

Glory

I normally don't care about Darren, but this was appalling. I don't know if he realized how self-centered and obnoxious he was in it. "I'm a wise-craker myself", "If I were to write an episode", "You thought I was [a GG winner]".

He'd make a good clown for children's birthday parties when Glee is over.

He'd be named "Me, me, me the Obnoxious Clown"?

• Love 2
(edited)

He'd tell the kiddies all about  what he was like as a kid.

It  actually tried to be himself not only in Chris's league but in Tim Conway's league...

Edited by tom87
(edited)
I therefore find no reason to muster up outrage, even of the manufactured kind, for this alleged offence;

Well said, Florinaldo.  While I understand Blaine's character may not currently be the most popular, and the writers may have had him change motications as quickly as the wind shifts directions...

Barred all the alleged BTS blind-items,... From all the interviews and press junkets, and having sene him perform live several times, I see nothing to indicate that Darren Criss is anyting but a decent guy. 

Edited by ShadowDenizen

Barred all the alleged BTS blind-items,... From all the interviews and press junkets, and having sene him perform live several times, I see nothing to indicate that Darren Criss is anyting but a decent guy. 

I don't doubt that, but I think he mishandled this BTS, in this particular case. It wasn't made conscienciously, but he really came off as egocentric in it.

• Love 1

The self-professed jokester oughta print up business cards or something.

As long as I receive residuals for creating the slogan.

(Might as well get something out of this artificial controversy.)

Actually Blaine never bothered me until as a casual fan I read a couple of interviews with new hire Darren Criss and thought he was exceedingly douchey in the way he handled questions about ~not being gay.  But we're getting off topic.  Just wanted to assure everyone I'm not childish enough to let my feelings about a character bleed into my feelings about an actor, but am not always capable of blocking that sentiment in reverse, though sometimes I can....if their work is good enough.  "If" being the operative word there.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yup, to come off looking like a self centered asshole in a BTS video doesn't mean you are one.   But hey, it happens.  

Hopefully someone reigns his girlfriend BTS person, and advices her that while she many not be a completely biased self serving unprofessional BTS person, her finished work is certainly making her look that way by focusing so much on her boyfriend even in episodes where he's not  heavily featured.

I'm sure they all are "nice" in real life.

Edited by caracas1914

DC just came across to me as someone who thought he was being funny...with mixed results. (I mean he really can't seriously be comparing himself to Tim Conway.) Maybe there is too much of him, but then maybe he also gives them more material to work with. From the little I've seen recently, he's always available and quite the ham, so there's just more of DC all around...again, with mixed results.

I honestly have gotten to the point of tuning out the Darren/Blaine/Kurt/Chris stuff as much as I've done with most of the crappy ass stuff that happens on the show. I feel like it's all gotten extremely predictable and repetitive. You kind of know exactly what's coming in regards to everything - the storylines, who's singing what, how this person sounds on this song, etc. Probably why I've barely watched the last two or maybe three episodes and why I never see these videos, interviews, etc. Everytime I hear about the BTS video stuff I think, "wait people actually watch those things when they're barely even watching the show..."

This episode tonight "Old Dog- New tricks"intrigues me because it may be the last Santana appearance, yes I know they say she's not formally fired but she was apparently written out of the last episode of the season so I'm not holding my breath we will ever see her again on Glee.

(edited)
DC just came across to me as someone who thought he was being funny...with mixed results. (I mean he really can't seriously be comparing himself to Tim Conway.) Maybe there is too much of him, but then maybe he also gives them more material to work with. From the little I've seen recently, he's always available and quite the ham, so there's just more of DC all around...again, with mixed results.

I think that’s a valid point. Personally speaking, I like the fact that he’s [seemingly] an extremely vibrant, friendly guy who is often over-the-top and hammy. He always seems positive and upbeat, and if all of his jokes don’t hit the mark? Well, I’m absolutely ok with that.

This episode tonight "Old Dog- New tricks"intrigues me because it may be the last Santana appearance, yes I know they say she's not formally fired but she was apparently written out of the last episode of the season so I'm not holding my breath we will ever see her again on Glee.

But remember that Chord Overstreet was “fired” between S2 and S3, and yet here we are saddled with him in S5! Yes, this was seemingly  more widely publicized than the Chord thing, but I expect Ryan Murphy [being the troll-baiter that he is] will have something sage to say about it soon.

Edited by ShadowDenizen
  • Love 1
I'm not holding my breath we will ever see her again on Glee.

Same.  I'm betting she's in the credits next year (and getting paid for a guaranteed number of episodes), but rarely or never seen.  Just a gut feeling, nothing concrete I can base that on.

And while I'm speculating, my gut is also telling me Kurt and Blaine are going to break up in this season's finale and that there's going to be a Colfer bomb dropped over the summer.  Sounds like everyone else is heading to LA, but we haven't heard about Kurt's plot.  So either his appearances are going to be reduced, too, or we're going to have another split narrative where part of it focuses on Kurt in NYC.  My money's also on a K/B wedding in the S6 finale, because RM wants it so badly...but I hope it's after a time jump so those two can grow into fully-realized people before starting a life together. 

Wait, what am I talking about?  Character development and self-awareness on Glee?  Ah-hahahahahah, I crack myself up.

Doubt very strongly if FOX will allow Chris to make only intermittent appearances on Glee every so many X episodes. FOX holds his contract, not RIB.

IMO He'd actually be in a worse position than someone like Jane Lynch, who is a regular but is usually used as a guest star but she has enough planning that she can do outsides gigs, including movies and a game show, between Glee appearances. She had one appearance in the last 7 episodes of this season. His character is integrated too much with others (Rachel and Blaine) that they would make him do even cameo appearances which would negate being able to do outside gigs. Hell he still has to wait on the book tour schedule because it depends on his Glee filming in July.

Chris has done a number of interviews for his episode "Old Dog, New Tricks." Some choice extracts below:

But despite his extensive writing experience, Colfer admits he was very hesitant to take the "steering wheel of the bus that is Glee," as he puts it. "Glee is not my world. These aren't my characters. I would never want to tamper or damage them," Colfer says. "I certainly have been in Kurt's head for a long time so I definitely knew how to voice him. ... I was just terrified to write for my co-stars because I would never want to write something that they didn't agree with or they didn't like."

One character in particular gave him pause. "Rachel's been such a main focus of the show for a very long time and I didn't want to give her anything that would come across as repetitive or that would make the character unlikeable or overly compassionate," he says.

TV Guide

EW: Tell me about the actual episode you wrote. Why Peter Pan?

CC: When you watch the episode, it’ll make a little bit more sense. Kurt kind of acts as Peter Pan when he comes into the retirement home. He slides in and teaches everyone to be young again, very much like Peter did to the Darlings, and then there’s a whole element in the other storyline where Rachel starts an animal charity for dogs called Broadway Bitches, and it’s all about helping those who have a hard time helping themselves, and really celebrates the literal underdog. It’s all a big theme.

EW: Who was the hardest character to write for?

CC: Probably Rachel, just because she’s gone through so much on the show. I didn’t want anything she said to come off as being repetitive, and I also didn’t want to have Lea say anything that she wouldn’t be happy with.

EW: My heart bleeds a little picturing June Squibb doing all this.

CC: If anyone watches this episode for any reason, it has to be for June Squibb because she is incredible! I cannot describe in words how truly amazing that woman is. She, at 83 years old, came in and was on her feet for 14 hours a day with the rest of us, singing really hard pop songs, dancing. She just blew all of us away. I get chills when I think about just how incredible she was, and I really hope she gets recognized for it because she just kicked ass.

EW

TVLINE | What was most important for you to get across in the episode?

CC: I wanted it to be very much like classic Glee. I wanted to do a story about underdogs; I think that’s why we have such a passionate audience, because it was a show about a group of kids that had never had something represent them before. My two favorite things in life are animals and old people, so I definitely wanted to incorporate both of those into the story.

TVLINE | Was there anything you wanted to do, but couldn’t for whatever reason?

CC: They only gave me two guidelines when they gave me the job: I couldn’t break up with Blaine and I couldn’t kill anyone. They really gave me so much freedom with this. I was terrified going into it. I didn’t know what to expect, and I didn’t know if I’d be able to tell the story I wanted to tell, but the writers gave me so much room to play with. It was an incredible experience.

TV Line

Vulture: Your episode doesn’t address the Kurt and Blaine relationship directly. Was that a choice on your part?

CC: It was definitely a conscious choice on my part. I wanted Kurt to have a story that was his own. That wasn’t about his relationship with Blaine, or supporting someone else like Rachel. I really wanted him to have his own moment.  I have to say, in my episode, Kurt and Blaine are completely fine. They’re completely happy, so if something does happen to them down the road, it’s not my fault. The fans don’t have to send me the angry tweets. Kurt and Blaine are fine in my episode.

Vulture: Was there anything you couldn’t fit in the episode or that hit the cutting-room floor?

CC: Not really! I just wanted to do a story that would remind us of Glee season one, the underdogs. What better underdogs than actual physical dogs themselves, and some old people who need some love?

Vulture

(edited)

To show how Chris really "gets" it:

insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/06/chris-colfer-glee-writing-kurt-series-finale/

"Do you have in your head a happy ending for Kurt? What do you envision for him at the end of the series?

"Unless they plan a complete U-turn, I think he’ll definitely end up with Blaine, but I think a lot about Kurt, ever since we were introduced to him, is him trying to find happiness and validation from an outside source. Oh, if I have a boyfriend, it’ll validate me. If I have a best friend, it’ll validate me. If I have a leading role in a show, it’ll validate me. But I would really like, before the series ends, for him to find the validation within himself and for him to realize that happiness is going to come from him, not from someone else. That would be a happy ending for me."

Edited by caracas1914
(edited)

I swear he seems to have put more thought into the show than its creators... 

I think everyone here probably has as well.

But remember that Chord Overstreet was “fired” between S2 and S3, and yet here we are saddled with him in S5! Yes, this was seemingly  more widely publicized than the Chord thing, but I expect Ryan Murphy [being the troll-baiter that he is] will have something sage to say about it soon.

Well, Chord was actually dropped.  He's on the show now because he came crawling back.  So the question is, will Naya?  Guess we'll find out.  I'm vaguely annoyed at whoever is responsible [be it her or RIB] that the Brittana I was looking forward to in the finale [through my hands] is now off the table.  But I gather from a fan site that it's revealed in the finale that Brittany and Santana are going on tour with Mercedes, and I always wanted that for Brittany, so I'm kind of sort of satisfied.  Which is just about the weight class at which Glee manages to punch.

Edited by bravelittletoaster
(edited)

Eh I think it's the Rachel reality show; one of the synopsis said her friends weren't happy how the writer was portraying them. So my guess is it's a scene from the reality show and basically a meta knod to the Blaine Stans who wish feverishly he was bi or turned straight.

Edited by caracas1914
(edited)

Specific comments on last night's episode in the episode thread.

But I agree that Chris Colfer seems to totally "get it"; After all, who knows Kurt better than he does? And his comments (re: validation from without rather than within) are really insightful and thought-provoking from such a young man. (And ITA with his statement.)

This episode, while not game-changing, really at least showed some thought went into it, rather than throwing darts at a board for the plotlines, so kudo to CC!

And? Brittany and Blaine? HUH?

Edited by ShadowDenizen
  • Love 1
(edited)

That promo indicates the next episode might be a return to form, including that cracky last bit; that Brittany-Blaine shot was obviously used as a hook to surprise viewers and pique their interest. RM is, unexpectedly perhaps, the voice of reason in this matter. No need to come up with imaginary hordes of Blaine fans clamouring for him to change sexual orientation.

Edited by Florinaldo
No need to come up with imaginary Blaine fans clamouring for him to change sexual orientation.

Those teenage girls tweeting for that eventually must be as imaginary as the sun coming up from the East each morning. 

As to RM being the voice of reason, I'm sure what looks like his Rachel reality show will be similar as extending the Blam/Mckinley school year which drove the show into the ground resulting in the buck naked exit of the Noobs to the point that even their naysayers (like me) felt bad for them for how much their patron saint La Murphy discarded them.    

Sam/Cedes separation drama?   There is no "there/there " for them to already experience separation angst but this is RM, "I must separate couples" Baroness shtick.   Same old, same old.

• Love 1
which drove the show into the ground resulting in the buck naked exit of the Noobs to the point that even their naysayers (like me) felt bad for them for how much their patron saint La Murphy discarded them.

Agreed.

I was a supporter of the NewNewDirections (expect Jake- he sucks), and think they royally got the shaft in this whole situation.

I hope the final plot-line of next season is re-opening the Glee Club and having them win regionals just in time for graduation. (I think Kurt seems like a perfect choice to lead the "Revamped" New Directions.)

(edited)
I hope the final plot-line of next season is re-opening the Glee Club and having them win regionals just in time for graduation

Oh that is definitely coming for Season 6.

(I think Kurt seems like a perfect choice to lead the "Revamped" New Directions.)

If it results even in a single episode SL arc for Kurt independent from Rachel and Blaine I'm on board.

However it will lose impact if they have to hire new Noobs and their faces we are not familiar with.  Doubt they will retain the old Noobs as regulars for a one shot redemption.

Edited by caracas1914
(edited)

I don't doubt there are a few fans here and there still pining for the bisexual twist but, as I wrote, I don't think there is a great number of them.

Certainly not in sufficient numbers for the show to bother pandering to them. Or to those whishing for Brittany to return to the fold of heterosex.

RM is indeed acting reasonably in calling people not to freak out. Although when you put out a promo like that, you should expect some reaction.

Glee cinematographer Joaquin Sedillo was more craftily snarky in his reply.

From past history, I don't think the production knows exactly as yet what form the much talked about show-within-a-show would take in S6. Next episode looks more like it features examples of unsuccessful propositions.

Edited by Florinaldo
Glee cinematographer Joaquin Sedillo

The depths that man will descend to to embarrass himself impersonating a teenage Klaine shipper is awe inspiring  in a roadkill by the side of the road kind of way.

• Love 1
(edited)

That promo indicates the next episode might be a return to form, including that cracky last bit; that Brittany-Blaine shot was obviously used as a hook to surprise viewers and pique their interest. RM is, unexpectedly perhaps, the voice of reason in this matter. No need to come up with imaginary hordes of Blaine fans clamouring for him to change sexual orientation.

It certainly piqued my interest in watching other shows and skipping this crap. As RM being the voice of reason, I can get it, since reason would tell to tank this show and killit for good, which is what his new plan for S6 will achieve, just like extending the school year in S5 did.

Edited by Coxfires
  • Love 1

These times we live in have obviously eroded the basic capacity to perceive sincerity, thus explaining an inability to appreciate its presence.

I still can't get over Ryan Murphy and "voice of reason" in the same sentence.

It's the old principle of if you throw enought darts at the board, one will eventually hit the bullseye. RM speaks and tweets so much that once in a while he does speak for reason, surprising as it may be.

It's a good thing to wrap one's mind around such astonishing facts once in a while; it helps to expand it (at least where there is still room and material to do so).

I normally don't care about Darren, but this was appalling. I don't know if he realized how self-centered and obnoxious he was in it. "I'm a wise-craker myself", "If I were to write an episode", "You thought I was [a GG winner]".

I also wasn't bothered before, he's not malicious or anything like that, but this was pretty bad. I have heard other people make similar jokes without meaning it, and this was different. Also, it's not an isolated case, he's made such "award jokes" before, and it starts to sound like a fixation. And he often humblebrags. Nothing wrong with a decent doze of attention-seeking but to me, it's going overboard.

By the way, doesn't it sound like he's campaigning hard for the Emcee role of Alan Cumming - if Cabaret extends beyond what Alan's available for? 

“It’s going to be a very exciting and different season. I know as of now what myself and Chord Overstreet and Darren [Criss] will be doing next year. We can’t say — Ryan has made us keep everything completely under wraps — but we’re all very excited about where our characters will be going next year. It’s a good surprise.”

—  Lea Michele on Season 6 (x)

As predicted, fuck-all for Kurt.

• Love 1

LM has always been unreliable when it comes to the details, not always painting a complete picture; it is not her job to give out the show's PR anyway. She's not as bad as RM who likes to use paraphrases or metaphors that cloud the message and who confuses characters with actors.  I figure she was talking about the show's plot points that closely involve Rachel. She also says nothing about Artie or Mercedes. And I seem to recall CC saying in his flurry of recent inetrviews that he had a full year of Glee shooting on his plate, which means he will have someting to do for the whole season.

So it's too early to be all woeful about Kurt's future I think.

Perhaps after next week's upfronts though.

There has to be a plan for Kurt, but it's weird how they are promoting Rachel/Blaine/Sam so much. I guess we have to wait to see what happens Tuesday. I'm very far from enthused.

Chris already told us the plan for Kurt. He has to end up with Blaine. Murphy's sole reference to Kurt in S6 was that Klaine would be a big part of it. Klaine, not Kurt. Pardon me for thinking Kurt deserves more than being Blaine's BF or Rachel's BFF. I'm not advocating a show takeover, only that Kurt gets the occasional storyline of his own. Or that the writers and showrunner be seen to give a fuck.

• Love 1
(edited)
There has to be a plan for Kurt, but it's weird how they are promoting Rachel/Blaine/Sam so much. I guess we have to wait to see what happens Tuesday. I'm very far from enthused.

Lea is Lea, she gushes about things from the top of her head.   I"m certainly not going to interpret that one remark that there is nothing planned for Kurt.  The other six characters left, Jane, Matt, Chris, Amber and Kevin weren't mentioned in Lea's interview either and I doubt they will  be gone for Season 6.

OK, Naya, I'm not so sure about it.

I'm curious how they incorporate Jane into Season 6 with McKinley gone because I doubt that FOX wants to let her go from the show.

Edited by caracas1914

Lea pretty much gets a tidbits and runs with it.  Before season 4 all she discussed was having a storyline with Kate.

I also remember peope all out of sorts saying season 4 would the Rachel Berry show cause all we got at first were spoliers for Rachel.   But  in the end season 4 had less Rachel then any other season.

Like  most seasons it will start off with Rachel and set up the location/themse of the season,  then in the middle of the season Rachel will get less but still present and then the season will end with more Rachel.  It has been kind of a pattern.

Lea pretty much gets a tidbits and runs with it.  Before season 4 all she discussed was having a storyline with Kate.

I also remember peope all out of sorts saying season 4 would the Rachel Berry show cause all we got at first were spoliers for Rachel.   But  in the end season 4 had less Rachel then any other season.

Like  most seasons it will start off with Rachel and set up the location/themse of the season,  then in the middle of the season Rachel will get less but still present and then the season will end with more Rachel.  It has been kind of a pattern.

Really? Cos season 4 and 5 felt like 'The Rachel Berry Show' maybe her time on screen feels longer to me because it irritates so much. But since McKinley is gone it is 'The Rachel Berry Show' everyone is there to serve her storylines, or to provide the 'b' storyline to her 'a' storyline in any ep. I've no doubt that is exactly what season 6 will be. 

• Love 1

Except for the one big exception that was  Season 4.  Ryan Murphy was so obsessed in trying to make the Noobs succeed he even relegated Rachel to a cameo character by season end.

Ryan Murphy also commented that S6 would be "heavy" on Lea, Darren and Chord in his recent batch of interviews. And Chris, in his 'Old Dog, New Tricks' press this week said that he has no idea what's in store for Kurt in S6. So this is not just Lea.

(edited)

Actually Chris said he's good with how they set up Kurt for season Six.

As to Ryan saying that S6 would be heavy on Leas, Darren and Chord, well yea, how is that surprising?.  Ryan also said that S4 would focus heavily on Rachel in NY and we all know how that finally went.

I"m amazed that people take all the bullshit coming out of RM's mouths as gospel for the "plan" for the next season as if it's all planned out and coherent or that he'll even follow through what he babbles..

For me, knowing how unreliable a source Ryan is at this point is a good thing, LOL.

Edited by caracas1914
(edited)

TVLINE | Do you know if you’ll be back full-time next year?

CC: I have absolutely no idea. I have heard very little about what’s going on with Season 6, so I have no idea.

I doubt very strongly that Chris doesn't know if he's technically  back full time on Glee as a Regular.  IMO Those contracts for Season Six have been signed and the ink dry.  Even in Season 4 he was "full time" on Glee, albeit I admit  woefully underutilized.  He was in 19 out of 22 episodes that year, even if many were  cameo appearances.

Somehow I think Chris was talking more about how many actual  SL's Kurt is  actually going to get, and who can blame him?

Edited by caracas1914