Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers & Speculation: Running Hot & Cold

• Start Topic

(edited)

I'm pretty sure CL is playing Sara. What version is up the air. They are being coy about it because we're supposed to be surprised how she comes back. Resurrected, Time Travel, Alternate Universe. We also know she's not playing Black Canary so whatever her new name is going to be is also the surprise. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1
(edited)

In theory, a connected "universe" of these 3 shows sounds like a cool idea, and I'm sure the network would love to see regular ratings bumps like with the Flarrow crossover, but I'm having trouble seeing how this might be as successful -- even logistically. Now the writers for each show have to worry about their own story arcs, and the story arcs of two other shows. Not to mention, the network having to make sure nothing messes with the scheduling so that everything matches up.

Of course, it's not the first time several shows have shared a universe and characters concurrently, but all the news about this so far seems to indicate that they want to have crossover events all the time. And as for viewers, I hope that they don't expect us to watch all three just to follow one. I can't fault them for being ambitious, though. If they can make this work, it could be great.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3
(edited)

They never said they want crossovers all the time. What they said is the Spin Off show is going to feel like a huge crossover event every week. Meaning it's going to huge and exciting with all the heroes and villains on one show unlike just having Oliver and Barry. The actual crossovers besides the floater character will probably be one or two episodes or phone calls or Skype. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

I think the spin off is going to present even more logistical/dramatic questions. A lot of us here are already talking about when Oliver disappears or Brick shows up or whatever why the gang doesn't call Barry for help. The next time mirakuru guys attack or the LoA goes after the city, and it's on the news for days, it's bad enough when Barry doesn't stop by but where are Sara, Ray, Hawkgirl and whoever else is on their team? Unless they're going to be based on the other side of the world or something, at least two of them can fly.

• Love 2
(edited)
Grinning, Holbrook asks about the new spin off series. Kreisberg says there have been casting announcements for Hawkgirl and Rip Hunter. “It will be crossovers every week. Gonzo!” says Kreisberg. “This show will just be insanity and off the rails. Next year on The Flash and Arrow we will be setting that new series up. The characters will be migrating between all the shows. There is an Arrow crossover on The Flash and it’s so great.”

From this quote, I too had the impression that it was going to be crossovers galore.  I think once a season is fine, like they did for the Flarrow (I hate that name) event, but I might get irritated if it's happening all the time.  

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 3

I think the spin off is going to present even more logistical/dramatic questions. A lot of us here are already talking about when Oliver disappears or Brick shows up or whatever why the gang doesn't call Barry for help. The next time mirakuru guys attack or the LoA goes after the city, and it's on the news for days, it's bad enough when Barry doesn't stop by but where are Sara, Ray, Hawkgirl and whoever else is on their team? Unless they're going to be based on the other side of the world or something, at least two of them can fly.

They have addressed this several times - all the heroes are very busy.  Like why doesn't Batman always call Superman?  Or for that matter, why doesn't everyone always call Superman?  All these comic books exists individual and as team ups and comic readers aren't always saying "why don't they just call so and so?" so why wouldn't TV viewers just accept the same basic concept?  The heroes live in different cities and are fighting bad guys themselves.

• Love 1

Well when the big events are happening, the other two shows are also doing big stuff. So It's I'll help when I can find the time.

But I can see how an interconnected big bad can lessen the why aren't they here. They will be off fighting their own leg of the beast that will eventual help take down all the legs.

Maybe the floater will be this Damian Darke that arrives sometime in the final episode of Arrow. Or a good side leader character like Lyla. Or perhaps Melcolm who has his own agenda and can be on the side of the good guys or the bad guys depending on any given circumstances.

I can see how the big bad of the verse might all be H.I.V.E.

If it's Sara, would she really work with the man that killed her? 

No, but...would Oliver protect the man who killed Tommy and manipulated his sister into killing his ex-girlfriend? If the writers want it to happen they'll just do it, regardless of sense or reason.

• Love 2

Tried to read up on the Kendra Saunders' version of Hawkgirl.  So confusing. She could be from a parallel universe or just a girl that died and got in habited by the reincarnated spirit of Hawkgirl - but only kept Hawkgirl's memories of fighting.  Or any other mix and match made up variation.  

I do think the spin off is going to be named some variation of the Justice Society.  

• Love 1
(edited)

If it's Sara, would she really work with the man that killed her? 

No, but...would Oliver protect the man who killed Tommy and manipulated his sister into killing his ex-girlfriend? If the writers want it to happen they'll just do it, regardless of sense or reason.

Agree. That the writers will make stuff happen if they want it to. But I also think there are successful ways of writing that person working with someone who did something unthinkable to them like killing a loved one. On Alias, they had 2 main characters work with the main archvillian of the show because they wanted to bring him down or they wanted to keep an eye on him. Sometimes, you have to work with your enemy. If Diggle had not put the mission first when he needed to work with Deadshot in Russia, things might have been different on that mission and in future collaborative missions they did.

I don't see Sara enjoying working with MM, but I could see her making a reasonable argument as to why she works with him. She's worked with Dr & Ras, so its not like she hasn't worked with morally compromised colleagues. Honestly, I never had a problem with Oliver working with MM in a specific capactiy, I had a problem with him not fully explaining his rationale to FS & TA. There was some logic in what he was doing. In the morally grey world that is being created in this DCTV universe, sometimes you have to make some compromises in who you work with, so long as it does not change who you are and you keep sight of your mission. Its a tightrope walk, but that's half the intrigue.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1
(edited)

For Sara, Malcolm didn't kill a loved one, he killed her! 

Killing over 500 people and brainwashing his daughter to kill someone she knew is unforgivable and takes away the morally grey moniker. That's evil. No one is saying Ra's and Ivo were good guys, nor is anyone paling around with them like they are BFF's. I don't care how popular Barrowman is. Captain Jack is awesome, Malcolm is not and needs to be killed by the end of this season. A series long villain should never be made a regular. There is too much of them and it makes all the characters look like idiots just to include them. 

If Malcolm walked to up Sara, I'd cheer her on if she put a bullet between his eyes.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 5

For Sara, Malcolm didn't kill a loved one, he killed her! 

It might be a big difference if it is true. It has happened on other shows, where people have worked with people who have tried to kill them. But I think this would be the first instance of someone working with someone who has actually killed them. Then again most shows don't have as many people coming back from the dead... so tough call to predict.

But honestly, I think we will find out 1 of 2 things 1) Ras was the one that killed her. He probably didn't care to find Sara's killer because he knew who it was. And 2) if it was malcolm, then he killed the wrong Sara, the one they buried was a doppelganger/clone.

(edited)

This is from a Vancouver paparazzo on twitter, it may or may not be accurate:

Hearing Caity Lotz will still be a Canary in the new Atom #Arrow #TheFlash spinoff #YVRshoots

x

Edited by DrSpaceman10

I thought it was obvious CL would be playing the Canary? She couldn't, logically, play anyone else because everyone who watches these shows knows her as Sara.

All this screams that they know they messed up killing off Sara but now they get the best of both worlds. Canary and BC. I can't help but wonder what KC thinks of this because Sara will always be the better Canary.

• Love 6

I thought it was obvious CL would be playing the Canary? She couldn't, logically, play anyone else because everyone who watches these shows knows her as Sara.

I thought Sara would be playing Sara but I thought they'd for sure give her a non-Canary alter ego, if for no other reason to try to avoid the inevitable comparisons.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'd be annoyed if they gave Sara a different name though. It's not fair that she should be renamed just because Laurel decided to run with the nickname her father threw at her in shade. I don't care about the comics. In show canon, Sara is the original Canary and she should remain that way.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 6
(edited)

White Canary is a villain that wanted to kill Black Canary. I'm hoping they are not making Sara a villain.

Does anyone know this guy's track record? Is his info usually right?

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

White Canary is a villain that wanted to kill Black Canary. I'm hoping they are not making Sara a villain.

Does anyone know this guy's track record? I'd info usually right?

Apparently his info is usually pretty good (as someone else has told me). 

Maybe she'll be an antihero of sorts. Like she'll start out struggling with her soul and kind of evil and she'll slowly move away from that?

All this is making me think is maybe Laurel is going to be the floater between shows. Like trying to reconnect with her sister but unble to maybe? I don't know. I have no clue about comic characters and for all we know they could be making their own version of WC.

• Love 2

I think Sara was already a antihero. She did struggle with her past and tried to atone for being an assassin, while still having a somewhat ruthless approach to arising problems (like when Roy killed a cop). I wouldn't mind, though, if her resurrection had an effect on her (makes sense, stuff like this should have severe consequences) and she would have to struggle even more. Hell, to tell the truth, I love her so much I can forgive her any villainous stuff she does (especially if it's cause by outside factors).

• Love 2

White Canary is a villain huh? So I'm guessing putting Sara in the LP months and months after she died is going to turn her evil.

White Canary was a villain in something like 11 issues of BoP, during a very short unsuccessful run before the 52 reboot.  They've turned Shado from Villain to hero and she's more widely known in DC Comics than White Canary.  I have no doubt that if they dub Sara White Canary she will still be a hero, which is actually all I care about.

• Love 4

Apart from the fact that white is even more impractical than buckles as far as night crime fighting is concerned... I'm all for Sara taking the mantle of White Canary.

She may start as a confused anti-hero, dazed from the effect of whatever happened to her (and maybe a tad amneziac), but soon she'll get flashes of her old self and continue on the correct path.

...and then, during one of her night stints, she bumps into a LoA's new leader, Nyssa al Ghul. And her heart will skip a beat.

(Come one writers, I can give this up for free)

• Love 1

I dont think she will be wearing white exactly, when China white first showed up she was wearing all black, only her hair was white.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSI-wG_4_2ijOQfUh3L9Keat7NQQrVrgFzAgYhJAkpWBhhtD8GX

Yeah, I can't figure it out, the white outfit won't look right because it just doesn't translate to TV/Movies (IMO) but if they keep her in black with a white wig...not that much different from being Canary or Laurel being "black canary".

I also don't see them using that mask like the comics because you're going to want to see the actress, so i figure a lower mask is out and they'll go for something around the eyes, or maybe a lower mask that's semi see through like Nyssa's?

I hope she won't be wearing all white. However like Morrigan2575 said Sara had a whitish blonde wig as the Canary. If she wears black, her outfit won't look that different. I guess they can do some kind of white and black costume.