Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Barry Goldberg's Day Off

Kiddvideo
  • Start Topic

They did such a good job with this episode; all the little details were just right and made me go, "Oh yeah! I remember that from the movie!".  I liked how, instead of finding a couple of cute girls "sunbathing" in the shade, Barry stopped to greet a couple of elderly ladies under umbrellas.  The ending, with Barry's triumph at the homecoming parade, actually got me choked up.  

Incredibly well-done and funny.

• Love 4

I don't remember a flower shop being mentioned before.

I can't recall if we've ever seen the flower shop, but it's been mentioned before as being owned by the Kremps. Jennifer Irwin plays Virginia Kremp, Beverly's best friend and the mother of Adam's best friend, Chad. 

Whoa.  Seems like no one in the family had a good day this time.  Except for maybe Murray.  Adam and Barry went through all they went through in this episode.  The grandfather lost his car for good.  Beverly probably lost her part-time job being so obsessed with her children.  And Erica got arrested.

The ending made up for it, though.  Glad to see they ended things on a good note. :)

They did such a good job with this episode; all the little details were just right

Although I loved every single piece of this episode, one of those little details stood above them all for me. That this episode was actually sneakily Adam's story, not Barry's.

I don't think Real Adam could have told it better. That his connection to John Hughes was realized, if not this actual way then I'm assuming around that time because of how he connected to Hughes' movies. This was the cherry on the top of the whole episode for me--that we were kind of seeing the genesis of this whole show right there.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 9

Brilliant show, all around. Ferris Beuhler's Day Off is on my top ten movies of all time list, and they did a top drawer job with it. The Charlie Sheen cameo was perfect, and I can't stand the guy. But it worked so well.

• Love 3

Brilliant show, all around. Ferris Beuhler's Day Off is on my top ten movies of all time list, and they did a top drawer job with it. The Charlie Sheen cameo was perfect, and I can't stand the guy. But it worked so well.

I think the timing was no coincidence either.  Sheen knew he wasn't going to come to terms with Chuck Lorre and so wouldn't be in that finale. And everyone knew around when Two and A Half Men would be ending.  So I think that's why he agreed to do this.

• Love 1

I love how they blended the fantasy with "reality" in this episode. They didn't just recreate the story with their own characters (Simpsons or Family Guy styles) but mirrored it around a possible real event in the life of the family, but then you've got the flag girls/band fully choreographed dancing while Barry sings "Shake It Out."

When was the origin of the "The story of Ferris is Cameron's projection" I can't imagine how those fan theories would be disseminated in a pre-internet age. I guess they would need some legs through non-mainstream publications.

• Love 1

I adore this show so this pains me to say this, but.........Not my favorite!  I'm not a fan of FBDO.  I mean, come on.  It's not Flashdance!!  I so want to see Bev pounding some poor chair to Maniac!  You know she had the soundtrack!!!  But anyway, I only saw Ferris Bueller on cable one time. I was not impressed.  Probably due to the fact that I don't care for Matthew or his wife.

Edited to add:  How could I forget the best thing about this episode?? CHARLIE FREAKING SHEEN?? I am sure he was actually stoned in this re-creation.  And?  Anger Management is playing in the background as I type this.  WINNING!!!

Edited by KYBlonde
  • Love 1

When was the origin of the "The story of Ferris is Cameron's projection" I can't imagine how those fan theories would be disseminated in a pre-internet age. I guess they would need some legs through non-mainstream publications.

I would assume it would be disseminated in much the same way the "secrets" in Nintendo video games made their rounds on school playgrounds. Like, how did everyone know that it was possible to skip to new levels or find warp whistles, etc.? One kid would figure it out or read it somewhere, and word traveled fast. So, yea, I didn't have any particular issue that the Ferris/Cameron theory was seemingly common knowledge, especially around the time of the movie. 

FBDO remains one of my favorite moves of all time so this may go down as my favorite episode of the Goldbergs EVER. I despise Charlie Sheen, but even his cameo was perfect.  Poor pop lost his car in the end though....that kind of sucked.  Barry singing on the float at the end was made of win.

• Love 2

I know how hard this show rocks when I can think about a scene out of the blue, days later, and laugh and smile. I guess because the era is right when I was almost the exact range of ages for all three kids, it resonates like hell, and the details are so freakin' good. The triumphant homecoming song & dance was a Judd-Nelson-fist-pump-leap "YEAH" moment, and then when Adam realized he's not Ferris, but John Hughes, I admit to choking up a little. Damn you, show! Reminiscing is painful!!

• Love 4