Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 450 Strangers, Picked to Talk in a Thread

• Start Topic

Seconded. In fact, let's make it the same forum for "The Challenge," since the worlds collide so much now. It's really the same show these days, so call the thread "The Real World/The Challenge." No overlap. One RW season ends, next Challenge season begins.

Edited by Bob Sambob

I'm happy to see there are at least two other adults who enjoy this show too! I hope they create a forum for it....I would hate to lose my Thursday place to unwind (along with Survivor recap). I agree that combining Real World and The Challenge into one forum is the way to go. Come on previously.tv, make it happen.

(Hope this doesn't double-post, don't know where my original comment went. Still working out this new site but I have high hopes)

Is there a sub-forum section for this show?  Or is everything RW related going to be posted here? I am an old school RW and I am not interested in what the show has become, but I would love to chat about the old RW shows of seasons past without clogging up the current show.

• Love 1

Once we're moved into a forum, we can create season threads to discuss the old seasons, and then perhaps stick w/ episode threads for the new seasons?  As it stands now, Real World: Ex-Plosion is almost over, so perhaps we can just keep that to its own season thread as well.  

Stinger97 that is the perfect solution.

I converted the show request into the Small Talk thread for the show -- a social thread and not generally for specific show discussion.

Please feel free to start new threads for characters, episodes, media mentions, actors, etc.

If you (collectively) would like to change/add the name of the Small Talk thread jokey bit just figure it out amongst yourselves and then email david@previously.tv and he'll change it.

• Love 1

I got my start on TWoP posting on RW. I shortened my e-mail nickname to "Lantern7" in part because there were seven roommates in any given season of RW. These days, I think that the show should be put down hard . . . yet I can't seem to quit it. Even with Corey and Brian trying to outmeathead each other, Jay being a p-hound to Jenna's chagrin, Jamie's possessiveness and Thomas' douchebaggery, and the horror that was Ashley (the Southern party girl, not the lesbian ex), I still tune in every week with little fail. And I know that I'm never gonna see Arielle or Ashley (her lesbian ex) again, because they're way too normal for BMP.

As for watching the show . . . I know I got into it in 1992, and I think I jumped off around '96, when I was crushing on Sarah, the tomboy blonde who worked at Wildstorm Comics. I got back on the horse midway through NOLA (crushing on Melissa in the process), and I haven't looked back, even though I should jump off. The seasons kinda blur into one another . . . I look at old posts I made on the TWoP thread, and I try to remember getting worked up over people I pretty much forgot about today.

For anybody who wants to kill a few minutes . . . here's Vulture.com's 18 Most Annoying Roommates list. I can't agree with a lot of it, but it's so hard to argue with the top two on the list.

Can I just say I'm so glad Lantern made it over here from TWoP? Your posts are always waaay insightful. Don't stop. I understand wondering why you're still watching this, but don't stop talking about it.

I think this is the best season they've produced in maybe a decade. It's like they decided to be creative, rather than just going through the motions.

Edited by Liqidclark

Thanks for the love, guys . . .  but the seasons have blurred into a huge mess for me. I draw blanks a lot more often. In fact, when I saw Erika on the list I linked above, I could not remember her at all.

Any idea for what to call this thread? I'm leaning towards "TRUE STOR-REH!," a la Jon from RW2

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Hawaii was the last season I remember watching.   It is very difficult to find out anything about this cast besides Tek (sp).  Maybe I just need a Google refresh LOL. 

• Love 1

I feel like there's no appropriate place to say, That guy's a troll and he's not even pretending anymore lol.  It's like, every new post might as well be bolded and in italics, "I'M A TROLL TRALALA"

Anyway. How do we feel about watermelons ;)? My job's having a staff appreciation picnic tomorrow and I'm only going to steal all (and I do mean all) the watermelon. 

• Love 3

^^watermelon is so dangerous!  I can eat an entire watermelon in like two days....and then my stomach hurts because I ate too much.  But then I do the same thing two days later.

On an related note.....I've watched about 10 youtube videos about finding the perfect watermelon....so helpful.

As for the troll.....you're right.  

I guess I didn't pick up on it, because I know I've had unpopular opinions, but they were honestly my opinion.  I wasn't posting just to get a negative response....I don't understand why people would troll at all.....its truly confusing to me.

• Love 1

I don't understand it either! It seems like a lot of effort to post such hateful stuff. I don't see the thrill. But I think that means we are intelligent and decent human beings. Or something.

• Love 2

I googled the person referenced, and that's when I knew for sure.  There's just no way...

I don't put salt on my watermelon. My aunt does and when I tried it, it didn't taste like it made the watermelon sweeter, it just tasted like salt on my watermelon lol.  I do, however, love watermelon and feta cheese together, so I guess it's something like the same flavor profile.

• Love 2

I've heard that recommended by others! Will have to try it. My problem with summer fruits is I love them so much that I overbuy at the farmers market and then watch them rot because my eyes were bigger than my stomach. Can anyone relate? ;)

More on topic: I can no longer recall the last full season I watched of the Real World. My distaste for it had grown so much that I couldn't even be arsed to watch the Denver season, and I live there. It's too bad, although probably inevitable, that it turned into what it was--remember how fresh and new it seemed way back in the first few seasons? I remember watching Seattle, Boston, New Orleans and SF religiously. Hah, I am old. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, RCharter said:

^^watermelon is so dangerous!  I can eat an entire watermelon in like two days....and then my stomach hurts because I ate too much.  But then I do the same thing two days later.

On an related note.....I've watched about 10 youtube videos about finding the perfect watermelon....so helpful.

As for the troll.....you're right.  

I guess I didn't pick up on it, because I know I've had unpopular opinions, but they were honestly my opinion.  I wasn't posting just to get a negative response....I don't understand why people would troll at all.....its truly confusing to me.

Yes on the watermelon. But then you pee all night. Oh but that sweet nectar...

• Love 1

Can you believe that my jobs picnic started at 2pm and they ran out of watermelon at 2:26?!?! Do yall know how pissed I would have been had I not gone directly to said watermelon and picked up 6 slices?! 

I actually was still pissed. How does your order run out 26 minutes into a celebration, yet you had plenty of burgers and hot dogs, including veggie burgers WHICH NOBODY EVER WANTS EVER???

• Love 1

Bit of a Hail Mary . . . what is the best way to get a message to MTV? I pounded out a letter about how The Real World and The Challenge should be put to sleep, and I was wondering if there's an all-purpose e-mail address I could use. Plan B would be snail-mailing a random exec, and I don't think that would be effective. Also, how effective would online petitions be in that regard?

I don't think online petitions would be the way to go. They usually have the opposite effect. If people are interested enough to sign a petition to end a show, that tells the producers they are interested. Period. 

This used to be the rule of thumb back in the letter writing days. At least it was for soap operas. If a viewer absolutely hated a couple or pairing or whatever, don't mention that. State how much you like something else instead. "The squeaky wheel gets the oil".

This carried over to online and gave many, many more people voices. Just look at the reality shows. They all started out as a peek into personal lives. Viewers quietly enjoyed the shows. When a fight, or breakup, or just a particularly more exciting event happened, viewers voiced an opinion. I don't know if you watch Bravo shows but that channel is a perfect example. All reality shows are good examples though. 

Good luck anyway. I happen to think it wouldn't matter though. At least not with the outcome you are hoping for. 

I figured as much. I got the letter saved on my blog's dashboard. Basically, I showcased the flaws of the two shows, and I pointed out pulling the plug 25 years after the original season might be for the best. The only other show I watch on MTV is Ridiculousness, so I can't honestly use the flattery angle. All I want is to be free of programs that I can't pull away from. That, and to see a new report of Johnny panhandling for attention.

• Love 1