Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: The Distance

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

Okay, back to the show, Lori wasn't that careful with pregnancy prevention, but she was always a special snowflake. Plus she had access to RU-486 (or whatever those were) and threw it away, so she did get a chance to make a conscious choice to stay pregnant.

I don't think it was RU-486, it was the morning after pill which prevents ovulation in the first place and is ineffective on an embryo that is already implanted but either the the show fucked up basic medical info (as usual) or Lori and Glenn (who fetched them for her) and Maggie who confronted her with them later were all dumber than a bag of hammers and didn't know the difference.  

But I agree, in a ZA world with no real medical facilities, even with Pete and his amazing surgery skills, the smarter ones are going to be more careful about having sex, especially the ones who were there when Lori gave birth in a dingy basement, being cut open without anesthesia, and bleeding to death.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 6

Oh God I really hope we get that scene, if only to see our poor broken down band of protaganists trying to adjust to having fun.

Rick: "What's that weird look on their faces?"

Michone: "I think they're...smiling?"

Sasha: "I thought we only smiled when we had a major life-changing epiphany...or when we find food or water after weeks without any...or when we've been reunited after spending weeks separated".

Maggie: "Wait, you mean they're smiling while having fun?"

Carl: "Wait, what is this thing you call fun?"

Daryl: "What are those weird noises they're making?"

Carol: " It sounds like laughter. Remember, Daryl? Laughter?"

Glenn: "Are they dancing?"

Rosita: "I used to dance..."

Etc.

Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating. But I do hope we get a scene of the group in Alexandira jsut relaxing, maybe having a BBQ or whatever. Without zombies, rapists, cannibals, and scavangers making life hell for them.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 11

Rick’s group has already chosen to live.  Even after the farm was overrun, the prison was attacked, Terminus, people they loved were killed, Rick told them that the CDC guy said the virus was in all of them, they chose to keep living.  If they want more than a day to day fight for survival existence, they will need to settle and build somewhere.  Then some psycho will come along and destroy it to keep the group on the move and the show going.

I wonder if one of the original Alexandrians knew about the virus like the CDC guy did.  He tells the people in his community they need to prepare (so they have a wall before they need it, food, supplies, etc.), and they know to make sure someone is dead dead and can’t turn into a roamer.  Then several or most of their people die from the virus.  That is what was happening before the ZA.  So they have a place to live, but very few people, and they haven’t developed the kind of survival skills Rick’s group has.  In which case, they need more people to help protect them from the roamers and the psychos.

• Love 3

I haven't been this anxious for next week's episode for a long time. I need to see what's behind those walls!

Also, it totally just hit me why Eric knew Aaron was going to freak about his broken ankle and he had to pre-emptively try to calm him down: no dancing for at least 6 weeks!

I really did like what we saw of Alexandria's people (Aaron and Eric) so far, and I so hope everything at the compound is good and that the two new guys don't die right off. I want to see more of them and I want to see our group clean and fed. Hey, there can still be story if they're inside--threats from outside (that don't have to always destroy their home, writers), internal conflicts. I'm ready for a new phase with a different kind if storytelling, because we've seen so much of the same thing, with a rotating group of new faces experiencing it, for so long now.

• Love 7

I didn't watch this episode - a weird storm froze unexpected snow on our dish, which is too high for me to knock off without a ladder, and the signal went out. I read the summary and most of these comments. Basically, the gang made it from outside DC to the gates of Alexandria? And beat back zombies along the way, and we still don't know whether to trust the new guys or what their settlement looks like? Are those the main points? Just want to be sure so I am up to speed for Sunday. Assuming it doesn't snow and then freeze again. In which case I need a flamethrower.

But I'll jump into the baby conversation ...

I agreed with your entire post; I can't imagine looking around and thinking, yeah things are good enough to bring babies into the world. WTF?

I hate it when shows fall into the trap of "babies mean hope." Sometimes they don't, they actually mean vulnerability at a time when you can't afford it. But anyone who espouses that second view always turns out to be evil, so you end up back at "babies mean hope."

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 8

Finally catching up on this thread:

Rick could have tied Aaron up the minute he entered the room. Instead he stood there like an angry confused caveman for a few minutes before suddenly going into "Hulk Smash!" mode, because "Tiny picture make Rick ANGRY!"

Got stuck on that. Can't carry on. Laughing too hard.

• Love 5

If I understand correctly, CDB has spent four and a half seasons meandering around Georgia, never too far from Atlanta, with occasional stop overs at a farm, a prison, a gated community and a cannibal meat processing plant.

Now, within the space of a couple of episodes, they're in Northern Virginia.

• Love 5

I didn't watch this episode - a weird storm froze unexpected snow on our dish, which is too high for me to knock off without a ladder, and the signal went out. I read the summary and most of these comments. Basically, the gang made it from outside DC to the gates of Alexandria? And beat back zombies along the way, and we still don't know whether to trust the new guys or what their settlement looks like? Are those the main points? Just want to be sure so I am up to speed for Sunday. Assuming it doesn't snow and then freeze again. In which case I need a flamethrower.

But I'll jump into the baby conversation ...

I hate it when shows fall into the trap of "babies mean hope." Sometimes they don't, they actually mean vulnerability at a time when you can't afford it. But anyone who espouses that second view always turns out to be evil, so you end up back at "babies mean hope."

Judith better pray she doesn't mean hope or she's a goner.

If I understand correctly, CDB has spent four and a half seasons meandering around Georgia, never too far from Atlanta, with occasional stop overs at a farm, a prison, a gated community and a cannibal meat processing plant.

To be fair they weren't trying to leave Georgia at the time.  The whole going that far in 17 days was a bit of a stretch though, especially since going 50 miles to the Vet school took what, 2 days?

Edited by kj4ever
  • Love 3

Don't forget to tune in early on Sunday night because they do replay the last week's episode before the new one.

Watching Paranoid Rick is the best!

• Love 4

I hate it when shows fall into the trap of "babies mean hope."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, what kind of hope for a baby growing up in their world?spacemountain2.jpg

worst-bad-childrens-books-counting-days-

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 7

There were NO PEOPLE in the pictures. When asked, he mumbled that he took one pic but it didnt turn out. He had a ton of pics of the area, so if it was populated, it would be very tough to keep people out of the pics.

I also believe that the sound of the kids playing is just a recording.

The pics and kids noise reminded me of those fake towns used for bomb testing in the 50's

• Love 4
ET remove link. It does make me kind of annoyed that people post spoilers on pages others might stumble across. Also someone could comment days later on a link that was ok at the time.
I deleted due to comments containing spoilers. sorry.

Thank you guys. Much appreciated. We don't want any comic spoilers in the thread itself, but if they have to be included, liberally Spoiler Tag. Spoiler Tags are your friend.

Adding a link to another site with articles that contain spoilers is not a problem. The best bet is to put a little disclaimer - basically "Beware that this link and or the comments contain spoilers." If some one chooses to click the link, that's their perogative. At least they are forewarned. Personally, I like spoilers, but since some don't, simply warn them. Then everyone wins!

Also, please try not to insert really large pictures into the thread. Some people scroll on mobile and it may make viewing more annoying or slower for them. Either put the picture in SpoilerTags with a description, or find a smaller version. I'll leave them for now, but just be careful for future posts. Just a heads up.

Other than that, Happy Posting!

• Love 4

If I was Aaron, I would have said:

"Oh there were  people in the picture! But this guy Eric fell in love with me, and Doc Brown said it's a romantic attachment with my future father and if I don't break up with him I'll never be born, so I'll never help Doc make a flux capacitator---"  KERPOW!

I mean if Rick's gonna punch you get some fun out of it.

******************************************************************************************************************

Oh yeah, sorry for the big pics!! Crap! That was for me! [hangs head, scuttles away]

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 4

Not sure where I should put this, but yay!

The Walking Dead’s season five finale will be an extended 90-minute episode airing March 29 at 9 p.m., AMC announced Wednesday.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/02/25/walking-dead-90-minute-season-finale-march-29

***WARNING*** The spoiler-adverse will want to avoid the comments section at Entertainment Weekly; the place is crawling with blabbermouths!

Edited by Raven1707
  • Love 4

Yep, but it was 21 days from Atlanta to Alexandria. (Some people have replied that it was 14.) There's a really good timeline at http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Television_Show_Timeline

• Love 2

Not sure where I should put this, but yay!

The Walking Dead’s season five finale will be an extended 90-minute episode airing March 29 at 9 p.m., AMC announced Wednesday.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/02/25/walking-dead-90-minute-season-finale-march-29

Raven1707 - we have a Media thread HERE for announcements and articles about the show. Someone else posted the EW article, so I'll leave yours here for now, but for future reference, use the Media thread. Oh, and thank you for the warning. Awesome!

A NINETY MINUTE finale. So EXCITED!

• Love 5

Oh, that's awesome about the extended finale.  The season goes so fast...

Rick actually said to Daryl in the episode that it had been 21 days, so I think we're ok assuming that.  (People always say that timeline website is conjecture, and I have no idea if it's true :)  )

I love that Apocalypse book!

And I still feel, when all is said and done, that there might be pockets of civilization that either didn't decay as badly (caught on quickly to the 'everyone who dies turns' thing, and were geographically isolated) or that, by benefit of natural advantages (geography, secure place to live, large numbers of people on the same wavelength and not massively insane, proximity to a huge amount of food and water), could be quite a bit further along toward rebuilding than our group is.  Our group has made quite a few mistakes, and they've had quite a few setbacks they couldn't control for. So I don't know that we can assume that the entire world is at the same level of safety, organization and civilization that Rick and Co. are and that the whole world is eating worms and wandering around like a lost tribe.

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 5

Can't they just make a bigger doll for people to hold under the blanket?

I'm sure the American Sniper baby is looking for new work. 

I understood Rick's paranoia but it still annoyed me for some reason. I guess I should just be grateful that Ghost Lori didn't decide to pop up or that Dale didn't make any meaningful phone calls from the beyond (although the sight of Rick talking into a pine cone or something would be amazing).

I think someone said it previously in this thread but the sound of children could definitely be a recording. When they entered the gates, that sound stopped and I didn't see any happy kids running around. I'm hopeful CDB will get a chance to relax, shave, and shower for at least a couple months. However, NO BABY MAKING. 

• Love 6

I loved the tip of the hat to Dale.  I actually liked Dale, and shed tears when he died (this was before I followed spoilers, so I didn't know it was coming).  Yes, he was a pill, but I found him... I don't know... annoyingly endearing.  Or endearingly annoying?  He meant well.  He had a big heart.  He was a good person.  He was right to not trust Shane.  Dale was one of those people -- and there are plenty of them in life -- who, much like a parent, was probably right in his preachings 99% of the time, but was also someone that most people hated to listen to because they didn't want him/her to be right.

As for the idea of photographs without people in them, I take plenty of photos without people in them.   Then again, I'm not living in a ZA, trying to convince a group of suspicious strangers that I just met to come and live at my compound.  It helps to have people in the photos if you are going to tell strangers that there are people living there.

It's hard to speculate much about this episode. The only thing I found questionable was Aaron not wanting to eat the apple sauce, but maybe that was a red herring. Otherwise, not much to discuss until we see more.

I thought the whole apple sauce thing was weird.  I'm thinking -- this guy was punched by a (possibly crazy) stranger who is ready to kill him at the drop of a hat, and he is complaining that he hates apple sauce?   I mean, I hate green beans, but if some wild-eyed Grizzly Adams is going to murder me and wants to me to take a bite of green beans to prove I can be trusted, then I am chowing down on the green beans!  Mmm mmm good!

I 10000% agree with this! I'm so afraid that they're going to want to put Rick and Michonne together and set Daryl up with someone, and they're just going to ruin them all. Romantic love isn't the alpha and omega. I think focusing on the group as a family is so much more powerful and moving than making it a bunch of couples that hang out together.

To me, it's not about "romance" or romantic love, as we know it in our world.  This isn't Love Connection.  It's not about couples hanging out.   But it is about the desperation of the situation, and the need to cling to someone and to feel loved.  It's about the need to reach out and feel human, or maybe to feel like you have one person who you can completely trust.  We've seen other couplings take place -- either actual couples, or just fleeting hook-ups -- since this series began, so obviously the sexual element is something that is being addressed.  It's realistic and believable to think that people would be partnering up in some way.  It's just that we haven't seen it happen with Rick and Michonne.  I fully expect that one or both of them will end up with someone when they get to a setting that is more relaxed and comfortable, and they can breathe for a while.  They might not hook up with each other, but with someone.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 5

I laughed when Rick said "they know our plan! This isn't safe!" And then the car ran smack into a horde of zombies. It's not safe all right, but that's not because "they" were listening to your brilliant plan, Rick.

Don't know if anybody else had thought this - but it had occurred to me if Aaron was a Really Bad Guy, just the few moments he had to observe Rick's all-consuming paranoia (Came all this way just to poison a baby? Really, Rick?) would make it all too easy to figure out how to manipulate Rick. Getting CDB headed down Highway 100, for example:

Rick: Ok, so how do we get to your camp?

Aaron: Well, I'll drive the car with a few of you, and the RV can follow with the rest.

Rick: NONONONONO!!! YOU MIGHT BE DRIVING US INTO A TRAP!!! YOU'RE NOT DRIVING!!!

Aaron: but I usually drive when I'm bringing in new people...

Rick: UH-UH!!! NOT HAPPENING!!! WE'RE DRIVING, UNDERSTAND!?!? NOW JUST TELL US WHERE YOUR CAMP IS!!!

Aaron: Well, the way you're carrying on, I don't know that I trust you not to kill me, dump me in a ditch, and go raid my friends. So I'll tell you as we go.

Rick: OK THEN!!! <pant><pant><pant> I mean... ok, then. What's the first leg of the trip?

Aaron: First we head up Route 23...

Rick: NONONONONO!!! YOU WANT US TO GO UP ROUTE 23, THAT MEANS YOU COULD HAVE AN AMBUSH SET UP FOR US!!! 444 GUNS JUST WAITING FOR US TO WALTZ UP LIKE IT'S THE FRIDAY NIGHT PANTS-OFF DANCE-OFF, AND WE GET CAUGHT WITH OURS DOWN AROUND OUR ANKLES!!! NOT HAPPENING!!!

Aaron: But we've cleared Route 23. It's the quickest, safest way. If we leave right now, we could still make it there by dinner...

Rick: I ALREADY TOLD YOU TO FORGET IT!!! DRIVE RIGHT UP THE ROAD IN BROAD DAYLIGHT, WHERE THEY CAN SEE US COMING!?!? NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!! WE'RE DRIVING IN AT DARK, AND NOT BY ROUTE 23!!! SO WHAT'S ANOTHER WAY???

Aaron: Well... maaayyybeee Highway 100, but it's VERY dangerous - we haven't cleared it yet, and there's roamers all over. Really, Route 23 is *much* safer....

Rick: OH, SO YOU DON'T WANT US TO TAKE HIGHWAY 100, EH!?!? IT'S SETTLED THEN - WE'RE TAKING HIGHWAY 100!!! EVERYBODY GET READY TO MOVE AS SOON AS IT GETS DARK!!!

Aaron: <snickers internally>

I didn't watch this episode - a weird storm froze unexpected snow on our dish, which is too high for me to knock off without a ladder, and the signal went out.

That damn liar Rob Lowe....

• Love 8

Got a satellite dish and live where it usually snows or you have regular ice storms in the winter? Get a dish heater, they are not expensive and while your friends are all mad because they cant watch the super bowl because of a blizzard, you're sitting pretty. Or just watch everything online.

• Love 2

Got a satellite dish and live where it usually snows or you have regular ice storms in the winter? Get a dish heater, they are not expensive and while your friends are all mad because they cant watch the super bowl because of a blizzard, you're sitting pretty. Or just watch everything online.

Maybe you could throw a lot of birdseed up there; the activity of pecking birds would knock the snow off?

• Love 1

I've heard folks say you can throw a soft snowball at the dish to clean it off but it would really suck if you did that and manged to knock your dish completely out of alignment! If you have high definition service and some of your channels still tune in, check to see if those that tune in are standard definition. If so, set your receiver to show both HD and SD, it wont be as pretty but you wont miss your show.

• Love 2

Raven1707 - we have a Media thread HERE for announcements and articles about the show. Someone else posted the EW article, so I'll leave yours here for now, but for future reference, use the Media thread. Oh, and thank you for the warning. Awesome!

A NINETY MINUTE finale. So EXCITED!

Not to be a wet blanket, but it's probably expanded by like 30% more ads..:(

• Love 4

There were NO PEOPLE in the pictures. When asked, he mumbled that he took one pic but it didnt turn out. He had a ton of pics of the area, so if it was populated, it would be very tough to keep people out of the pics.

I also believe that the sound of the kids playing is just a recording.

The pics and kids noise reminded me of those fake towns used for bomb testing in the 50's

I think that was to trick us into being suspicious. I stil think Aaron is a good guy. I also think things will certainly go all kinds of wrong for some other reason, but I don't think Aaron or his group are bad guys. It just seems like that would be too much at this point.  

• Love 1

The Kiss: Aaron & Eric

I just thought it was a clumsy way to let us know Aaron was gay.

I agree.

If I had to bet money, I'd say the writers wanted to establish that A & E were an item, they didn't want to spend time developing the idea, and they didn't want to leave any room for ambiguity.

• Love 3

Aaron may be a good guy...just really stupid at reading people. I still believe that there are VERY few, if any people in the compound...there is something very asksew with this situation..

Im sure those kids were a recording...

IF, and its a big if, they do have a secure compound full of food, water and great people, then its too dangerous to bring in these nutballs.

If they are THAT secure, I could see wanting to bring in maybe one or two for security detail...but there are way too many of these guys and they are bonded AND crazy. Aaron should have picked that up when following them...

I promise this place us NOT Mayberry...since we are heading towards a season cliffhanger

• Love 1

they are bonded AND crazy.

That reminds me of the Sopranos. We kept lost\ing sight of how vile  they were until we saw them interacting with average, real people. Same for CDB. In their isolation, we don't realize how nuts and feral they are until someone non-nuts shows up. Interesting perspective.

• Love 6

And it's a replica of the one worn by the Biker, of Village People fame:

oYztPST.jpgyZr1K8r.jpg

Why do you think they call them 'handlebar' mustaches?  Maybe they should be called 'choke holders', instead??

I can't help picturing, whoever they are orally servicing (male or female), giggling and laughing with their attempts.  "Stop it, it tickles!" 

• Love 2

Let's just hope the survivors don't decide to do what worked the last time a bunch of men needed to build a nation

Well, and pretty much every push to grow a superpower since the dawn of time. One thing TWD gets right: Humans are often a pretty horrific species.

Edited because "Once thing" isn't the same as "One thing."

Edited by SometimesBites
  • Love 4

I'm sure those kids were a recording...

If I hadn't of had the close-captioning on I never would have known that Rick and Michonne were hearing children laughing and would have wondered why they got such strange looks on their faces. In watching the episode the second time I knew what I was listening for and still couldn't tell, I could just make out a faint something. Was it really that faint or just my TV? If it was that subtle, how did Rick and Michonne hear it from inside the car outside the walls? If it was actually loud (and just my TV or my ears making it so indistinguishable), then yeah, I have the same question everyone else does re where were the kids making those sounds.

Anyhows, if it was a recording as many are guessing ... what was it recorded on and what was broadcasting the recording? Do they have an old crank-up phonograph and also happen to have an old record of laughing children to go with it? A battery operated device that they have a fresh supply of good batteries for? Or do they have electricity there? 

If we can come up with a believable answer to that question, then the next is .. Do they have a lookout stationed somewhere whose job it is to cue the pleasant audio when strangers approach or is it background sound they play all the time to set a happy calming mood for the inhabitants of the compound?

Because of the above questions I think that whatever Rick & Michonne were hearing was real, though I can't come up with any good ideas on what this community's story is. 

I loved that Michonne regained some skepticism when she realized there were no people in the pictures. Though as someone else pointed out, it's surprising she could see anything in the pictures in the backseat of a moving car at nightime with no lights. Likewise, when Rick was reading the map to tell Glen where to go, I was thinking "Dam! I wish my eyesight was still that good that I could read a roadmap (which always have tiny print) in the dark in a moving car without glasses!".   

• Love 3

Rick’s group has already chosen to live.  Even after the farm was overrun, the prison was attacked, Terminus, people they loved were killed, Rick told them that the CDC guy said the virus was in all of them, they chose to keep living.  If they want more than a day to day fight for survival existence, they will need to settle and build somewhere.  Then some psycho will come along and destroy it to keep the group on the move and the show going.

I wonder if one of the original Alexandrians knew about the virus like the CDC guy did.  He tells the people in his community they need to prepare (so they have a wall before they need it, food, supplies, etc.), and they know to make sure someone is dead dead and can’t turn into a roamer.  Then several or most of their people die from the virus.  That is what was happening before the ZA.  So they have a place to live, but very few people, and they haven’t developed the kind of survival skills Rick’s group has.  In which case, they need more people to help protect them from the roamers and the psychos.

I'm worried he recruited them to be foot soldiers in some kind of war with another compound. It's the theory I came up with after thinking about it a bit. I like your idea better, though -- the science intrigues me, plus less death!

Or do they have electricity there?

The photo we saw showed a huge solar-panel farm, so I'm thinking they have some electricity. That said, I think the sound of children was real. Maybe they were called back into class and recess was over, or they're in a slightly different section of yard, not right inside the gate, but where the sound carries.

Someone waaay upthread mentioned thinking of Alexandria, Egypt, when they heard the town name. I did, too. I thought they'd decided to name it Alexandria -- I didn't realize it WAS Alexandria, Virginia, because I didn't think they were that close to D.C.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 1

Yeah, there are so many technical difficulties if they have a nefarious plan to play a recording to lure people in. A lot can go wrong with a recording to tip people off that it's a recording. It would take a lot of care and coordination to make it seem realistic. Isn't that way too much effort for one tiny bit of detail?

Oh hey, maybe they do have a lot of children and few adults so they need babysitters. lol

Then several or most of their people die from the virus.  That is what was happening before the ZA.  So they have a place to live, but very few people, and they haven’t developed the kind of survival skills Rick’s group has

Maybe the same plague like what we saw at the prison (or some similar sickness) wiped a whole bunch of them out recently, and that's why Aaron was so cagey about telling Michonne why there aren't any people in the pictures. "Hey, a bunch of people got sick and died in our community recently so now we have room for new recruits, wanna come in?" is not a good opener.

I wouldn't have punched Aaron out if I were Rick. Let him keep talking. Let him tell you his life story and the story of how Alexandria was built. If he's lying he'll slip up if he goes on talking for long enough.

Aaron's not exactly a babe in the woods if he used to routinely go to places where he had guns pointed in his face before the zombie apocalypse. (I'm chalking the Niger mispronunciation up to actor mistake.) And the way he outlined how he would have set the barn on fire and took them out one by one as they escaped through the only exit if he wanted to hurt them - Rick probably found that alarming.

If I were the Alexandria people, though, I would send a female recruiter. Would seem less threatening to the people they're trying to recruit. The Termites knew to have an older woman be their welcoming committee. If Gareth was at the grill there, people would have been more guarded.

• Love 2

"Hey, a bunch of people got sick and died in our community recently so now we have room for new recruits, wanna come in?" is not a good opener.

Aaron's not exactly a babe in the woods if he used to routinely go to places where he had guns pointed in his face before the zombie apocalypse. (I'm chalking the Niger mispronunciation up to actor mistake.)

If I were the Alexandria people, though, I would send a female recruiter. Would seem less threatening to the people they're trying to recruit. The Termites knew to have an older woman be their welcoming committee.

Rick and Carol told the fruit hippies there was sickness right then at the prison and a bunch of people died...and Sam and Ana were still okay with it. But they weren't the brightest pebbles on the beach.

Niger isn't mispronounced though, is it? Here is the correct pronunciation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm7-rB25D20

(I love that site because you get the audio too).

I don't think I would send a woman. A woman welcoming committee worked at Terminus because Rick's group was inside the enclosure, and Mary was safe in her camp with the Termite men around.

Sending a female of any age, alone, to a group of rough looking people (not counting Judith), is too unsafe. Some rapists have women accomplices, and women are murderers too.

A woman outside, in someone else's "camp" is just too scary.

JMO!

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 5

Question. How did they get to where they are? Abraham and crew were already heading to D.C. by the most efficient route and were stopped in their tracks by the zombie blockade. Then as a tribute to Beth, they head to Richmond. What was the route? And how do they cruise through both Carolinas and without collecting tons of supplies and vehicles and full changes of clothes? I realize the writers have this "mission" and plot points to stick to but when you look at a map, the whole thing is ludicrous.  

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Love 5

the sight of Rick talking into a pine cone or something would be amazing.

Um, you do realize that suggestion is kind of insane, right?

He fed the last pine cone to Judith weeks ago!

I hate green beans, but if some wild-eyed Grizzly Adams is going to murder me and wants to me to take a bite of green beans to prove I can be trusted, then I am chowing down on the green beans!  Mmm mmm good!

If the alternative was a pissed off Rick Grimes at my throat, I'd eat the fucking acorns!

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 7

Oh, I have no clue how to pronounce Niger. It's just that someone upthread said he said it wrong.

Sending a female of any age, alone, to a group of rough looking people (not counting Judith), is too unsafe. Some rapists have women accomplices, and women are murderers too.

Considering they spy on the group before going over to say hi, it's not totally unsafe (though of course approaching strangers is always a scary thing). It's not like it was no risk for Aaron. And in this instance he got roughed up precisely because he was instantly regarded as a threat. If Aaron looked like, say, Carol, I can't picture Rick doing the same "HULK SMASH" routine. I mean, Rick still wouldn't be relaxed about a stranger coming in, but he would feel less threatened and be less prone to lashing out all insane-like.
  • Love 4

Yall, I just became aware of this and I just want to take a minute and say how grateful I am that I settled here on this forum after the demise of TWoP. You folks are really awesome and the linked article just reminded me that here I am safe to say "hey yall Im a big ol' lezbo and this is what I think about the gays..." and then we just all have a friendly, interesting conversation. NOBODY here was like "ewww, gay dudes are gross!", nobody here went all "my sacred text tells me to condemn the unclean whore men who lie with other unclean whore men so therefore I now hate this show and will protest it and troll this board over it." I was taking it for granted that I (and all the other lgbtq....) can speak freely and not have to worry that somebody is going to go all hellfire and brimstone on me for that. Thanks yall, it means more than some of you realize.

• Love 19

I'm not a lesbian or a gay man so my opinion might not count but I loved Aaron and Eric's scene; it brought tears to my eyes. Call me crazy but I believe in love and it's not always sensible and stoic.  Sometimes it's sloppy and embarrassing to watch.  I think that if I were living in a world with horrible death around every corner and my loved one had sent up a flare, by the time I saw that person again, I would be mushier than a Dan Hill record.  Aaron and Eric reminded me of guys and couples I know and I'm happy they're on the show.

Any show that features Michonne is great in my book and 'The Distance' was extra great.  I'm so glad she's the one that put an end to the Ricktatorship because Rick was really working my nerves.  Punching someone in the face when they can't fight back seems to be something that Rick likes to do (he did it to Tyreese as well) and that's not a good look on him.  You could tell that the more sensible members of the group were caught between loyalty to Rick and concern that he was going over the edge.

Michonne was a thing of beauty.  Her refusal to back down and hide in fear was inspiring to watch and obviously inspired the group as well.  Danai Gurira is the best actor on the show and I'm glad tptb remembered that after criminally wasting her in the first half of the season.  What I liked about this episode was that it wasn't a 'bottle' episode but an ensemble piece where other members of the cast got a chance to participate.  When the actor is strong enough, you don't need to isolate them if you want to feature their performance.

I really liked that Abe and Rosita had a chance to have a moment.  It seems that their relationship has been damaged but they seem to have reconciled and it was good that they finally got to see Washington after all they've been through.

I am loving Glenn in 5b.  Steven Yeun is really coming into his own and so is the character.  Glenn obviously hero-worships Rick but it's clear that Glenn's reached his limit with Rick's behaviour. 

I agree with those few who hope that Rick and Michonne's relationship doesn't get any more romantic that it is now.  Personally I see the same thing that I see with Daryl and Carol; a loving friendship but no hint of romance. 

Speaking of Carol, the character reminded me of why I can't stand her with her passive-aggressive aside to Rick outside Alexandria.  If she thought Rick was right, why didn't she speak up when Michonne was asking if anyone thought Alexandria was a bad idea?  Because she's such a meek little thing?  That  moment showed that she's a piece of work.

The close-up of Rick's eyes at the gates of Alexandria was lovely and Andrew Lincoln was so good there.  When Michonne put her hand on his, it reminded me of Carol and Daryl in the van but this time it was a jump towards something good.  I can't wait for Sunday.

• Love 4
I am loving Glenn in 5b.

Ditto, and more of that, please. I know his character has been tried by fire (like everyone else's) and that's going to change him. But I want a strong dose of the Glenn who was first just a voice: "Hey you. Dumbass. Yeah, you in the tank. Cozy in there?"

• Love 10

I'm not a lesbian or a gay man so my opinion might not count but I loved Aaron and Eric's scene

Of course your opinion counts. I'm not gay man (or even a straight man), a lesbian or a post-pubescent boy but can still have thoughts and opinions on scenes involving any of those individuals.

• Love 8