Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E18: Divorce

CofCinci
  • Start Topic

I haven't read all the comments on all the threads, but one thing that struck me as strange was this.  If this divorce of Meri and marriage to Robyn was just to protect Robyn's kids, or get Mariah more $ for college, why a Hawaiian honeymoon?  Didn't they have a honeymoon when they first married?  Just one more reason to think that Robyn is the favorite.

Edited to add:  I think they're all nuts.

Edited by Ilovemylabs
  • Love 16

I haven't read all the comments on all the threads, but one thing that struck me as strange was this.  If this divorce of Meri and marriage to Robyn was just to protect Robyn's kids, or get Mariah more $ for college, why a Hawaiian honeymoon?  Didn't they have a honeymoon when they first married?  Just one more reason to think that Robyn is the favorite.

Edited to add:  I think they're all nuts.

Why a Hawaiian honeymoon?  ratings....ratings....ratings

P.S. I agree that they're all cashews.

• Love 3

My goodness. US magazine certainly knows how to spread on the adjectives thickly!  Especially since we all know what a boatload of hokum this whole scenario is.  They must think we're morons not to see through it and figure out how squirrely the timeline is.  But then the Brown Clowns aren't known for their brains.

• Love 3

I still want to know what exactly they're protecting Robyn's three bio kids from. Except for her twist of words about stolen purity and abuse, what evidence is there that any abuse took place? A marriage that didn't work out is not necessarily abuse, especially when we know for sure that one partner (Robyn) is extremely manipulative and a liar. Her ex could be too, but show us the receipts - were police called, did he specifically hit/yell/etc you? Was he on drugs or an alcoholic? Were you ever in real danger, or things just didn't work out the way you wanted, so you rewrite a story to vilify your ex to please your new husband and justify your divorce?

• Love 20

I thought Kody had four separate, unique marriages.  If that is the case, why is Meri "informing" Kody and Sobbyn at the same time about her decision.  Shouldn't she be talking to Kody about this?  This is so FAKE!

IMO the most likely scenario is that Meri's reporting that her requested job was done to the one(s) requesting it: the team of Slobbyn. The giveaway was the phony

distressed response just before the end of the clip. You can hear Robyn say: " You didn't have to! ". HAH! I'll just bet she HAD to if she wanted to keep the house.

Edited by youcantbeserious
  • Love 5
A marriage that didn't work out is not necessarily abuse, especially when we know for sure that one partner (Robyn) is extremely manipulative and a liar.

And for somebody who is supposed to be so horrible, she certainly ran up the Victoria's Secret bills while with him.  Something doesn't gel with her BS. But then, it rarely does. Her stories (and her pimp's) change to meet the situation.

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 14

I'm wondering if they will use Garrison's Hawaii trip for the program he is in as an excuse...but then why wouldn't Janelle be going since it's her son? Who knows. 

Isn't (wasn't?) Garrison's Hawaii trip with ROTC?  Then he would be staying at a camp of some kind, sans parents, right?  Why would Kody and Robyn or even Janelle need to be there?  He was probably looking forward to just getting away from the zoo, like the rest of the older kids.

• Love 3

Isn't (wasn't?) Garrison's Hawaii trip with ROTC?  Then he would be staying at a camp of some kind, sans parents, right?  Why would Kody and Robyn or even Janelle need to be there?  He was probably looking forward to just getting away from the zoo, like the rest of the older kids.

Kody already has quite a knack going for registering businesses. So he can do one tied into Hawaii, then write off trip as a business expense with whichever spiritual wife he still wants to keep.

Kody already has quite a knack going for registering businesses. So he can do one tied into Hawaii, then write off trip as a business expense with whichever spiritual wife he still wants to keep.

Oh i'm sure that Figure 8 Films was there filming away.  Or someone was.  TLC'll probably end up footing the bill, I'm sure that was a condition.

I meant that Garrison was probably not wanting them to tag along.  i.e. his Hawaii trip wasn't tied with theirs...god I hope not.  

• Love 2

Oh i'm sure that Figure 8 Films was there filming away.  Or someone was.  TLC'll probably end up footing the bill, I'm sure that was a condition.

I meant that Garrison was probably not wanting them to tag along.  i.e. his Hawaii trip wasn't tied with theirs...god I hope not.  

We used to have a lot of local JROTC kids come to the bases where we lived (whichever one my husband was stationed at, at the time), but I don't remember any of the JROTC groups traveling anywhere like Hawaii.  Not that it's impossible, but I just asked MrF if he knew of any big trips like that and he said not that he's knows since those groups are only loosely affiliated to the military.  I wonder if maybe it was a school trip, and not a JROTC trip? 

I tried to google it, but no results for a Las Vegas NJROTC of AFJROTC Hawaii trip. 

And for somebody who is supposed to be so horrible, she certainly ran up the Victoria's Secret bills while with him. Something doesn't gel with her BS. But then, it rarely does. Her stories (and her pimp's) change to meet the situation.

I saw a pic of her ex on that plyg tumblr and i tell you what. ..he is twenty times easier on the eyes than the douche she is married to now. Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 3

I saw a pic of her ex on that plyg tumblr and i tell you what. ..he is twenty times easier on the eyes than the douche she is married to now.

Awhile ago, I saw Robyn's ex on a site somewhere. Though they were both from polyg families, she was his only wife. I don't know what was up with that. Yeah, he was a pretty boy from a prominent polyg family awash in scandal. Living with him couldn't be easy.

• Love 1

From information posted about David Jessop on the old Sister Wives Blog, he is a quiet guy who lives a bit off the grid, owned his own business (HVAC, don't know if he still has it) and doesn't use Facebook or Twitter or other social media. He left the AUB.

• Love 1

David Jessop might be the worst guy ever. We don't know, because he's not famewhore enough to give an interview. But its been proven on several other reality shows that it is close to impossible to feature your kids on a reality show without the consent of their other parent. So we know he cooperated with Robyn having the kids on the show. And all we've ever gotten are vague implied statements that seem to indicate that he either forced or coerced Robyn into sex. She never said he abused her or the kids. Ever. So I highly doubt this divorce and remarriage is really because of a threat from him. I'm betting their going to play the health care card, which is bull, but I don't think we'll ever know the real reason unless one of the Brown children gives an unauthorized interview or writes a book some day.

I also find it telling that this is the season finale, so they don't have to give any more follow-up information or larger explanations. I hope they at least get reactions from Logan and Maddie, who I think would be very honest about their opinions.

• Love 7

None of those pix is him, or at least none on the first page.

I'm staying with my own theory that the divorce was done purely to save their TLC bacon.

Right. None of those pics are him. I saw a pic on the tumblr account. It was like a family tree of the Browns and kids.

If you do a Bing search on "David Preston Jessop", you will see around 4 or 5 pictures of different men with the name DPJ. Due to the nature of the polygamy beast, there are probably a few men with that name in the Jessop extended family. Hard to tell which one may be Robyn's ex. The picture in the tumblr blog is of a young David, probably from a yearbook and maybe the closest we will get to a picture of him.

• Love 1

I'm staying with my own theory that the divorce was done purely to save their TLC bacon.

If that was true, it would have been the focus of the entire season. Instead we got 2 minutes about it in the last episode, and then just this episode, which is the season finale. TLC would have spent a lot more time on it if they knew about it ahead of time. Unless they're going to go into the next season pretty quickly and cover it there, before no one cares anymore.

• Love 1

If that was true, it would have been the focus of the entire season. Instead we got 2 minutes about it in the last episode, and then just this episode, which is the season finale. TLC would have spent a lot more time on it if they knew about it ahead of time. Unless they're going to go into the next season pretty quickly and cover it there, before no one cares anymore.

I agree that I would expect if TLC knew about this in advance, they'd bring up hints in previous episodes to lead up to the 'shocking' reveal that Meri, (whose only real passion in life are Kody, Mariah, and her wetbar), has started divorce proceedings.  I got the strong impression that the Browns did it on the sly, and TLC had to come up with a couple of cobbled-together episodes designed as damage control.

The timeline as presented on TV doesn't match the public records, and the reasons for the wife swap don't ring true.

It makes more sense that the Browns were stupidly hoping to make the switch without anyone realizing it.  The real question is "Why?"  Why would Meri initiate a divorce yet stay on as a 'spiritual' wife, while newcomer Robyn gets to marry Kody all over again, this time with the 'legal' title?  Did Kody tell her to do it or he'd divorce her and kick her out of the fold, and at the same time she'd lose her salary from the Brown Family Corporation?

Kody 'needed' to marry Robyn so she could get health insurance on her children from her first marriage?  Highly doubtful. 

Robyn marrying Kody will somehow help her in a custody battle?  Hardly.  There's no sign that such a battle is taking place, and if Robyn's ex had issues with how his children were living I think he'd have started to complain long before this. 

Kody wants to adopt Robyn's older kids and thinks that a legal marriage to her will do the trick?  Unlikely, as Robyn's ex would have to voluntarily give up his parental rights, unless there's some sort of abuse situation going on that would compel the courts to sever his rights without his consent.  Kody could then adopt the children, but even then he doesn't have to be married to Robyn to do it.

I'm probably overthinking the whole thing.  Maybe Kody just wants to be able to tell people he has four wives and 17 children, and Robyn wants the title and the power that seems to come from being the legal wife in a polygamous marriage.  Since Robyn's the favorite, and the only wife who seems to be the best shot for having more kids (and Kody has been filmed saying he wants even more kids), maybe Kody strong armed Meri into giving up the legal wife position so Robyn could take it. 

I have a secret fantasy of somehow being able to pull these people out of time and give them a truth serum, just to get the whole story.  Don't worry, I have no such abilities, and if I did I'd hope I'd put them to better use than terrorizing a group of sad, fame whoring polygamists.  But I'd definitely find out which of my siblings stole my Halloween candy when I was seven.  Some things are just inexcusable.

• Love 19

Maybe TLC told them this was going to be the last season.  The Browns concocted the whole divorce scenario, went through with it, then told TLC when TLC was wrapping up with a "See ya, wouldn't want to be ya" wave. 

Browns:  "Oh, by the way.  Meri divorced Kody in September and he married Robyn in December.  We could pretend that this was a shock to everyone, and you could film it as though you knew about it all along, and we could unravel the mess in another season!"

TLC:  "Well, that's easier than coming up with another family of little people to film.  Sure.  Let's go with it."

And the following season, Kody will admit to being Jack the Ripper and will string out clues for at least two more seasons.  (Makes as much sense as anything else they're doing.)

• Love 11

Another tipoff that the divorce was no surprise to Slobbyn was their quickness to marry. To preserve the facade of morality they claim to adhere to, at least Kody could've courted the wives again...unless of course the eagerness was due to Robyn being the only one he's intimate with.

Robyn has been careful never to flat out say her ex did anything specific. Being on TV could open herself up to defamation suits. I really think she hints around to things and figures the viewer will assume he's evil because he's a "Jessop" and she can make him out to be the villain while rewriting her history. 

• Love 6

I agree that I would expect if TLC knew about this in advance, they'd bring up hints in previous episodes to lead up to the 'shocking' reveal that Meri, (whose only real passion in life are Kody, Mariah, and her wetbar), has started divorce proceedings.  I got the strong impression that the Browns did it on the sly, and TLC had to come up with a couple of cobbled-together episodes designed as damage control.

The timeline as presented on TV doesn't match the public records, and the reasons for the wife swap don't ring true.

It makes more sense that the Browns were stupidly hoping to make the switch without anyone realizing it.  The real question is "Why?"  Why would Meri initiate a divorce yet stay on as a 'spiritual' wife, while newcomer Robyn gets to marry Kody all over again, this time with the 'legal' title?  Did Kody tell her to do it or he'd divorce her and kick her out of the fold, and at the same time she'd lose her salary from the Brown Family Corporation?

Kody 'needed' to marry Robyn so she could get health insurance on her children from her first marriage?  Highly doubtful. 

Robyn marrying Kody will somehow help her in a custody battle?  Hardly.  There's no sign that such a battle is taking place, and if Robyn's ex had issues with how his children were living I think he'd have started to complain long before this. 

Kody wants to adopt Robyn's older kids and thinks that a legal marriage to her will do the trick?  Unlikely, as Robyn's ex would have to voluntarily give up his parental rights, unless there's some sort of abuse situation going on that would compel the courts to sever his rights without his consent.  Kody could then adopt the children, but even then he doesn't have to be married to Robyn to do it.

I'm probably overthinking the whole thing.  Maybe Kody just wants to be able to tell people he has four wives and 17 children, and Robyn wants the title and the power that seems to come from being the legal wife in a polygamous marriage.  Since Robyn's the favorite, and the only wife who seems to be the best shot for having more kids (and Kody has been filmed saying he wants even more kids), maybe Kody strong armed Meri into giving up the legal wife position so Robyn could take it. 

I have a secret fantasy of somehow being able to pull these people out of time and give them a truth serum, just to get the whole story.  Don't worry, I have no such abilities, and if I did I'd hope I'd put them to better use than terrorizing a group of sad, fame whoring polygamists.  But I'd definitely find out which of my siblings stole my Halloween candy when I was seven.  Some things are just inexcusable.

I really hope that Meri reads this post.  If she were strong-armed into a divorce and given a false reason, I wish that she would figure it out.  Of course, I'm not holding my breath, as I think that she and Janelle and Christine are completely unable to see truth when it comes to Kody.  They are, and have always been, blinded by love.  Yeech. 

Also, I watched the commercial where Meri signs the documents and talks about her heart pounding (and I also saw Robyn's gross fake-crying face), and I wondered if Meri was talking and moving so slowly because -- even IF she was a part of the decision -- deep down she was hoping the Kody would yell, "STOP!  Don't sign it!  I can't let you do this, I love you too much!" 

Nope.  Instead, her sacrifice was accepted by the plyg god of balding selfishness and she was sent on her way.   

• Love 6

Robyn has been careful never to flat out say her ex did anything specific. Being on TV could open herself up to defamation suits. I really think she hints around to things and figures the viewer will assume he's evil because he's a "Jessop" and she can make him out to be the villain while rewriting her history.

Seeing her lying fanny dragged to court to be held accountable: now I'd totally come back for that. ;)

• Love 7
I wondered if Meri was talking and moving so slowly because -- even IF she was a part of the decision -- deep down she was hoping the Kody would yell, "STOP!  Don't sign it!  I can't let you do this, I love you too much!" 

Kudos & applause to you, AndreaF! Nope, I'm not being sarcastic. The above was a brilliant solution & unthought of by anyone else, including myself. This explains

Meri doing it so seemingly uncomfortable & unconfident. I guess she doesn't have the money and/or place to live if she relocates to Lehi. A shame as it'd be a better

place for her than remaining & continually having to be humilated by dealing with these two.

• Love 3

Look how young Meri looks there. She certainly doesn't look like that now. I think we both got links of the same man, but mine is how he looks now, an older David

Preston Jessop and yours is him as a young man.

If you look at their ages, they are only four years older now. Those pics of Meri and Janelle are old pics. This is her ex. Edited by MarysWetBar

I know this episode hasn't 'show yet and it's dumb to make any judgements based on commercials but I'm going to do it anyway. There is nothing they can say that will show them as anything but lying jerks. They put out to the public that this is just a 'legal restructuring" and Meri and Kody are still together, but it's clear they are going to have all kinds of 'pain and drama' on the show. Sorry - can't be both ways. Either it's a paper divorce or it's painful and difficult.

• Love 16
My daughter has a theory that all TLC shows are mainly lies, fabrications, recreations, or staged.

ESPECIALLY the "reality" shows.  The Learning Channel was once worth watching.  Now that it's Totally Ludicrous Crap.

• Love 12

Now that it's Totally Ludicrous Crap.

And tonight, we will be seeing it with frosting on top.

I noticed Robyn's Twitter picture no longer is her draped over Kody, clutching him in her death grip. She has changed it to a solo picture. She is in full-on damage control now.

• Love 9
(edited)

I've been watching this train wreck from the beginning and have always found each of these women to have appallingly poor self-esteem, but this is a new low.  I could care less about Meri's feelings.  She's just as much to blame for this whole mess as Robyn.  It's Christine and Janelle I feel sorry for.  This basically says to them: "You're both too old, fat, and barren to justify a legal marriage.  I'm going to marry my 'hot' younger wife who's only been on the scene for a few years, so suck it up and wait until it's your night to have sex with me."  Kody couldn't pay me to believe any reason whatsoever that he could come up with to justify divorcing Meri.  I'm also not fully convinced that Meri is the one who initiated the divorce.  I can't wait to see what bullshit they try to feed us tonight.

I hope each and every one of those kids runs far and wide from this mess and never looks back.  They're the true victims here, not the dumbass grown women who could run, but don't.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 15
(edited)

I noticed Robyn's Twitter picture no longer is her draped over Kody, clutching him in her death grip. She has changed it to a solo picture. She is in full-on damage control now.

Good observation! And her tweet sounds so condescending: "So little information...patience is a virtue" or something along those lines. How dumb does she think the viewers are? I hope she knows that many of us are well aware that episodes were cobbled together at the last minute and that TLC and the Browns are probably going to put their own spin on this whole wife swap craziness. Patience is a virtue alright, Robyn! You waited patiently for 5 years to become legal wife, and here we are.

Edited by purpleflowers
  • Love 6

She is one smug chick.

Do they not get that being patronizing and sanctimonious is going to erode whatever little likability they had left?

They throw this out there like it's EVER SO DRAMATIC but at the same time it's no big deal for reasons. Oh and those reasons will never be discussed because they will make zero sense.

They're not interesting, they're not likable, and they're pretty much jerks except for the kids.

Surely there's yet another bunch of circus freaks TLC could be filming instead...

• Love 11

I know this episode hasn't 'show yet and it's dumb to make any judgements based on commercials but I'm going to do it anyway. There is nothing they can say that will show them as anything but lying jerks. They put out to the public that this is just a 'legal restructuring" and Meri and Kody are still together, but it's clear they are going to have all kinds of 'pain and drama' on the show. Sorry - can't be both ways. Either it's a paper divorce or it's painful and difficult.

Amen Sister. I am just watching to see three monkies dance. Those monkies being Meri, Sobyn and Kody.

The resurgence of Robyn hate is making my black heart sing! I had a deep and abiding hatred for her since the moment it was mentinoed that one of the first things her unemployed ass did as a sister wife was plunk her bills down on the counter to be paid by others. Janelle must be dead inside not to have paper cut Robyn to death with her own Victoria Secret credit card statements. How fucking presumptious & entitled can she be? I must admit that I had been softening towards her the last 2 seasons but damn it is back with a vengenance! She has been laying back in the cut waxing poetic about the beauty of sister wives, plural family and spiritual union while plotting and planning to stab all her so-called sister wives in the back. I hope she and Kody get dragged for filth on social media.

• Love 12