Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

(edited)

June Foray died. She was 99. She was a voice actress.  One of the greatest voice actors ever. She was Rocky from Rocky and Bullwinkle. Woody Woodpecker. I only thought to put it here because of the episode "Hunteri Heroici".  I don't recall if her voice was in that episode, but she did a lot of voice work for those old Looney Tunes. She was Granny and every other female character voice when they needed one. 

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/07/26/june-foray-voice-of-bullwinkles-rocky-dies-at-99/#.WXl_o8jARUk.twitter

Edited by Commando Cody
  • Love 3

For those of you who live in the DC area, or who might be visiting the last few weeks of August:

Shakespeare Theatre Company is putting on their Free-For-All show from 15-27 Aug.  This year, Faran Tahir (Osiris from "Defending Your Life") is reprising his roll as Othello in the same production I saw last year.  For those of you who don't know, STC does one play a year that is absolutely FREE!  They have a lottery for tickets the day before the performance; they also give out tickets at the door starting a few hours before the performance.  If you're interested, check this link for more info:

http://www.shakespearetheatre.org/events/othello-17-18-ffa/

The theater is across the street from the Gallery Place metro stop (red/yellow/green lines) in DC.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, pixelcat said:

For those of you who live in the DC area, or who might be visiting the last few weeks of August:

Shakespeare Theatre Company is putting on their Free-For-All show from 15-27 Aug.  This year, Faran Tahir (Osiris from "Defending Your Life") is reprising his roll as Othello in the same production I saw last year.  For those of you who don't know, STC does one play a year that is absolutely FREE!  They have a lottery for tickets the day before the performance; they also give out tickets at the door starting a few hours before the performance.  If you're interested, check this link for more info:

http://www.shakespearetheatre.org/events/othello-17-18-ffa/

The theater is across the street from the Gallery Place metro stop (red/yellow/green lines) in DC.

VERY COOL. 

• Love 1

Apologies if this is the wrong place to put this, and if I'm overstepping with a nosey question that's probably been answered a thousand times.  I only came to the SPN party about a year ago, and it's been puzzling me for a while, but, given that it's pertinent to the future of the show, I thought I'd go ahead and ask.  Why do Jared and Jensen not live full time with their families in Vancouver?  With Daneel and Gen not being native Austin-ites, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to use the 'family as a support network' argument.  I appreciate they may want to make it easier for their kids to go all the way through their schooling in the American school system, but I have always heard that Vancouver is a fabulous place (and kids are very adaptable anyway).  I mean, would it be that bad if they used the words oot and aboot for a while?  Plus, doesn't Misha (the one with school age kid right now) have a home in Washington state? I gather Stephen Amell takes the same approach, so colour me genuinely puzzled.    Anyway, just curious.

1 hour ago, ukgirl71 said:

Apologies if this is the wrong place to put this, and if I'm overstepping with a nosey question that's probably been answered a thousand times.  I only came to the SPN party about a year ago, and it's been puzzling me for a while, but, given that it's pertinent to the future of the show, I thought I'd go ahead and ask.  Why do Jared and Jensen not live full time with their families in Vancouver?  With Daneel and Gen not being native Austin-ites, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to use the 'family as a support network' argument.  I appreciate they may want to make it easier for their kids to go all the way through their schooling in the American school system, but I have always heard that Vancouver is a fabulous place (and kids are very adaptable anyway).  I mean, would it be that bad if they used the words oot and aboot for a while?  Plus, doesn't Misha (the one with school age kid right now) have a home in Washington state? I gather Stephen Amell takes the same approach, so colour me genuinely puzzled.    Anyway, just curious.

I'd say it probably has to do with them not knowing the show would go on so long and deciding to make their home somewhere they wanted to live long term and live with the commute in the meantime rather than making their home temporary. Jared and Gen moved there when Gen was pregnant with their first kid, as I recall, so it may be that they just wanted their kids to have as normal of a life as they could. Plus, Jared and Jensen's families are in Texas, so they probably wanted to be close to family. And, now Austin is their home. they have a routine and the kids are starting school...I'm sure every time they sign their contract they probably think the show can't go on much longer, why uproot their families for something temporary.  

• Love 1

Jensen has mentioned a few times that if he'd known the show was going to go on for so long he'd have invested in some BC real estate.  But both their hearts lie in Texas.

And then there's Canada's taxes....

Your answers make sense - thanks.  It's so nice to see their consideration for their children's lives - an actor's life is a very strange one, isn't it?  What will interest me once Supernatural is finished is whether they both retreat from the acting world to their "other" businesses or keep at it through guest appearances - short of Austin becoming the next big studio hub, they aren't going to want long term absences from their families, so flying in and out for much shorter periods seems the way they will go.

10 minutes ago, ukgirl71 said:

Your answers make sense - thanks.  It's so nice to see their consideration for their children's lives - an actor's life is a very strange one, isn't it?  What will interest me once Supernatural is finished is whether they both retreat from the acting world to their "other" businesses or keep at it through guest appearances - short of Austin becoming the next big studio hub, they aren't going to want long term absences from their families, so flying in and out for much shorter periods seems the way they will go.

Well, Jeffrey Dean Morgan has a home (and business) in a small town in upstate NY (which is about as far from Hollywood as you can get in this country!) and he's pretty busy.  I think a lot of actors like to keep their families away from the Hollywood frenzy so they make a home somewhere they'd like to be and travel for jobs.  Even if they're gone on location for a few months at a time for movies, I don't think anyone expects (much less counts on!) 13 years of continuous work.  

• Love 1
On 8/14/2017 at 8:09 AM, DittyDotDot said:

And, now Austin is their home. they have a routine and the kids are starting school...I'm sure every time they sign their contract they probably think the show can't go on much longer, why uproot their families for something temporary.

My guess and I don't know, but many actors find themselves in a slump after being on a show for a long time, so they may have just decided where they want to be if the acting thing didn't go like they wanted.  Austin has music and many other attractions and when your from Texas driving 4 hours or more isn't the end of the world.  When I was younger the drive to visit my folks wasn't that bad but traffic is getting worse on 35 but they have options, I don't have they aren't poor by any means.

Having lived near Dallas and Austin, I really enjoyed living in Austin.  I just couldn't make a living there, so I left.  Both actors strike me as being close to family so Austin may offer all that they want in that regard.  The cost of living in Texas is cheaper than some areas, especially when you compare Hollywood to Texas.  JMO. 

• Love 1

I was able to watch the partial eclipse here in San Diego with only 57% obscurity here but damn that was fantastic. I made a pinhole projector out of a cereal box so I could watch it that way. My neighbor had some special glasses so I was able to see it "properly". One of the coolest damn things I have ever seen. I got misty eyed.

So apparently I did manage to get a picture of it. It must be a reflection in the lens. The sun was bright over head. It's kind of a blurry shot. Don't know how it worked but here it is. DHxrDw2U0AASnaa.jpg

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, catrox14 said:

So apparently I did manage to get a picture of it. It must be a reflection in the lens. The sun was bright over head. It's kind of a blurry shot. Don't know how it worked but here it is.

Cool photo, @catrox14. I might have to get the crescent shaped shadow photos from my hubby's phone to post.

It was around 95% obscurity in my neck of the woods, so the glasses viewing was pretty cool as were the crescent shaped shadows of the leaves on the sidewalk, but I was surprised that it didn't get darker than it did considering the 95% part. Weirdly it remained lighter than a cloudy day - which just goes to show how bright the sun actually is in our neck of the woods. Heh.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Cool photo, @catrox14. I might have to get the crescent shaped shadow photos from my hubby's phone to post.

It was around 95% obscurity in my neck of the woods, so the glasses viewing was pretty cool as were the crescent shaped shadows of the leaves on the sidewalk, but I was surprised that it didn't get darker than it did considering the 95% part. Weirdly it remained lighter than a cloudy day - which just goes to show how bright the sun actually is in our neck of the woods. Heh.

We had about 90% here.  It didn't get dark, but just...dimmer.  And my porch light went on about noon.  

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

We had about 90% here.  It didn't get dark, but just...dimmer.  And my porch light went on about noon.  

My brother and his wife went to Elizabeth to watch it. They live in Castle Rock.

Just now, FlickChick said:

I was really looking forward to the eclipse, but we were completely clouded over so it just went from dim to dimmer. We were in the 85-90% area too. What a disappointment. :(

Boo! That sucks. Maybe the one in 2024 will be there for you?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, FlickChick said:

I was really looking forward to the eclipse, but we were completely clouded over so it just went from dim to dimmer. We were in the 85-90% area too. What a disappointment. :(

My sister in San Francisco was completely clouded over, too.  She watched it on NASA.  

TBH, with the eclipse glasses on, it looked a lot like the lunar eclipses I've seen through my kitchen skylight, so I watched totality on NASA, too, going outside periodically to check on its progress here.  

Watching the news/traffic reports now, and it seems Wyoming is backed up from Casper to the Colorado border with people trying to get home, so maybe watching on the computer isn't so bad!  

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Boo! That sucks. Maybe the one in 2024 will be there for you?

Yeah, with God's grace I'll be here to see it. I've heard it will be seen from Texas to New England. We'll just have to find the right city on the right day. ;)

• Love 2

We had 92% totality and shared some glasses we got at the library. My son took off work and drove to the Tennessee border to get in the path of totality. One of the coolest things I've ever seen and so happy my work is flexible so I could leave for an hour to see it.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I was able to watch the partial eclipse here in San Diego with only 57% obscurity here but damn that was fantastic. I made a pinhole projector out of a cereal box so I could watch it that way. My neighbor had some special glasses so I was able to see it "properly". One of the coolest damn things I have ever seen. I got misty eyed.

So apparently I did manage to get a picture of it. It must be a reflection in the lens. The sun was bright over head. It's kind of a blurry shot. Don't know how it worked but here it is. DHxrDw2U0AASnaa.jpg

Your picture looks like the South Carolina state flag! If only the crescent were higher.

I didn't get any good pictures.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Jeddah said:

Your picture looks like the South Carolina state flag! If only the crescent were higher.

Lol!  I should have caught that, since that's where I am.  We were smack dab in the middle.  Got a couple pretty good pics through a special telescope:

eclipse1 (3).jpg

eclpse2.jpg

• Love 8
2 hours ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

Lol!  I should have caught that, since that's where I am.  We were smack dab in the middle.  Got a couple pretty good pics through a special telescope:

eclipse1 (3).jpg

eclpse2.jpg

I was in Columbia, so I had SC on the brain.Your pictures look great!

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

Minnesota Supernatural Con started today. I finally had a chance to play Yes or No. I can't believe I missed an easy freakin' question. They asked if Jess was a French maid for Halloween. I need to watch the pilot again. 

Dang! Nurse, right? I played twice - won one round in 2016, lost out on the first question in 2017 because I held up the wrong hand! Doh!!!

• Love 1

I failed at Yes or No again today. I know I have seen Death's Door a few times now. I must not have been paying that much attention. I have no idea who Laura is. The other people who failed this question thought the guy asking the question said "Amara". 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

I failed at Yes or No again today. I know I have seen Death's Door a few times now. I must not have been paying that much attention. I have no idea who Laura is. The other people who failed this question thought the guy asking the question said "Amara". 

Is that Bobby's Mom?

I don't know where else to put this since it's not about SPN per se but actors in general. I found it interesting. http

3. Don’t make the mistake of assuming that an actor is responsible for everything you see in their performance. 

Actors are directed.  Sometimes they’re directed by someone who understands acting thoroughly.  Sometimes they’re directed by someone who understands only one technique of acting.  Sometimes they’re directed by someone who has no interest in the craft of acting at all, and no vocabulary for talking about it.  Regardless, unless an actor is a big star, he has to produce the version of the scene the director wants to see, even if he thinks the choice is wrong, or doesn’t make sense, or feels false.  An actor usually has no control over how his performance is cut, or edited, or which takes are used. Keep this is mind when critiquing a performance, even a live one: if you don’t like or believe the choice the actor is making, chances are good that he doesn’t either.  Especially with smaller roles, hilarious or moving work may end up on the cutting room floor because it doesn’t serve the larger story, or pulls focus from the star.  It’s almost never the actor’s call.  It is astounding to me how many professionalsional media writers fail to grasp this.

://www.onstageblog.com/columns/2017/8/16/what-actors-actually-do-an-open-letter-to-critics-and-media-writers

• Love 1
On 8/21/2017 at 5:58 PM, FlickChick said:

Yeah, with God's grace I'll be here to see it. I've heard it will be seen from Texas to New England. We'll just have to find the right city on the right day. ;)

Haven't been here lately.  San Antonio is suppose to get the 90% I believe because this round it was just a small thumb print that covered the sun.  I looked through a box and it was cool to see the cloud effect.  Guess I'll either buy glasses or create my box.

On 8/30/2017 at 1:39 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

I don't know where else to put this since it's not about SPN per se but actors in general. I found it interesting. http

://www.onstageblog.com/columns/2017/8/16/what-actors-actually-do-an-open-letter-to-critics-and-media-writers

As an Actress, teacher, director and a fan can I get an amen!  Just add life brings skills because as you age, you deal with more stuff comedy, tragedy and all of the emotional baggage allows for more expression.  Acting in a skill set but the average person doesn't want to watch artistic films as much as they love a dumb comedy so the acting profession is limited by what makes the dollar. 

Teaching kids to act, I discovered it isn't about how talented they are, it's about how much are they willing to learn.  But it doesn't help that we have a society that doesn't appreciate the creative person and wants to stuff everyone into the math and science. It doesn't help that we blame when we don't like a performance and believe that anyone can easily do it.  Instead of getting that the trained actor that can play any part and make us feel anything takes time and lot of hard work.  There is a lot of bad acting out there and as long as we believe that actors don't have to be trained and anyone can do it, it will continue.  I'll get off my soap box now!  :)

• Love 2

Just a hey to everyone who was in the path of Irma. I hope you are all okay.

Just a moment of borrowed internet to check in. I don't have power, and don't expect to have any anytime soon. I think many of the power repair trucks are in Florida.  Driving around this evening we saw at least a half dozen large trees down in our neighborhood, and at least two were major powerline breaks. Not a utility truck in sight near them, even though the storm passed by early in the afternoon.

Still raining here though. We ate out, so we didn't have to open the fridge. Going to go get ice now to save some of the food and we'll bring it to campus tomorrow and stick it in the fridges here.

I hope to be back soon. The discussion on the "Bitterness" thread looks interesting, so I hope I'll be able to join in soon.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Just a hey to everyone who was in the path of Irma. I hope you are all okay.

Just a moment of borrowed internet to check in. I don't have power, and don't expect to have any anytime soon. I think many of the power repair trucks are in Florida.  Driving around this evening we saw at least a half dozen large trees down in our neighborhood, and at least two were major powerline breaks. Not a utility truck in sight near them, even though the storm passed by early in the afternoon.

Still raining here though. We ate out, so we didn't have to open the fridge. Going to go get ice now to save some of the food and we'll bring it to campus tomorrow and stick it in the fridges here.

I hope to be back soon. The discussion on the "Bitterness" thread looks interesting, so I hope I'll be able to join in soon.

Stay safe, look forward to your return, @AwesomO4000

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

If you can find some dry ice it will keep it cooler longer.  Hope you get power soon and stay safe.  All that have been hit hard by the weather I hope you stay safe and find the help you need.