Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Diane said:

Happy Easter or Happy Sunday! Hope everyone has a good day!!!

We BBQ'd a pork loin roast instead of doing the whole ham thing. I joked to my (grown) kids that we hid the deviled eggs this year since they're old, the kids, not the eggs. I made this for desert http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/cool-n-easy-strawberry-pie-53372.aspx with some minor modifications. Happy Easter or holiday equivalent as Sue said!

• Love 2

I had a surprise visit from my nephew and his wife. They had flown in from NC for a wedding in Orange County and then drove down to see me. I hadn't seen them in 2 years. It was so great to see them!

And then my neighbor invited me to hang with her and her family today, so I went over and played some games with them. Pretty nice weekend.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, trxr4kids said:

We BBQ'd a pork loin roast instead of doing the whole ham thing. I joked to my (grown) kids that we hid the deviled eggs this year since they're old, the kids, not the eggs. I made this for desert http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/cool-n-easy-strawberry-pie-53372.aspx with some minor modifications. Happy Easter or holiday equivalent as Sue said!

That sounds wonderful! We went out for a 2 hour brunch, I was thrilled not to have to cook today.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Demented Daisy said:

Sooooo....  What did I miss?  ;-)

Welcome BACK!  Read the mod notes... some flapapalooza and now we're all fine. But the mod notes tell you what to pay attention to. 

• Love 1

Just thought this was funny and you guys might appreciate it.

It was my dad's birthday yesterday, so I stopped in at the house after work/class to drop off his present. He loves going to drum circles, but he's only got these random "drums" that he made out of stuff around the house -- well, I still couldn't afford to get him a real drum, but I did get him a tambourine.

Luckily, he loved it! It was already like 9:30pm when I finally got to the house, but once he opened his present, he was having a lot of fun running around playing with it anyway. (So was I!)

So then he was showing me this video of a guy playing an Iranian tambourine (which apparently are like the ur-tambourines and seem incredibly cool (ETA:  the instrument is actually called a daf)), and I was trying to mimic the guy -- only, on the new little Remo tambourine, of course. Well, I must have sorta been pulling it off anyway, because my dad was like, "wow, you're really picking that up!" and was all impressed.

So now my dad wants me to bring my guitar over so we can jam!

I think this is the performance we were looking at last night -- ETA:  musician's name is Mohsen Taherzadeh:

Edited by rue721
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, rue721 said:

He loves going to drum circles, but he's only got these random "drums" that he made out of stuff around the house --

Your dad would probably love Dragon Con. Every night (Fri - Sun) at 12:00 AM there's a special large room where they have a drum circle. People go to jam out and play wherever the rhythm takes them. People play on drums, bongos, 5 gallon buckets, whatever. Dancers show up, some in full belly dancer regalia. It goes on for hours with different players coming in and out to join the music. Lots of people go just to listen and chill out.

There are a bunch of videos on YouTube if your Dad is interested.

Here are a few examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncf8jZVY250

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXHS02q74Nw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIV5OK-MVfE

• Love 3
8 hours ago, rue721 said:

Just thought this was funny and you guys might appreciate it.

It was my dad's birthday yesterday, so I stopped in at the house after work/class to drop off his present. He loves going to drum circles, but he's only got these random "drums" that he made out of stuff around the house -- well, I still couldn't afford to get him a real drum, but I did get him a tambourine.

Luckily, he loved it! It was already like 9:30pm when I finally got to the house, but once he opened his present, he was having a lot of fun running around playing with it anyway. (So was I!)

So then he was showing me this video of a guy playing an Iranian tambourine (which apparently are like the ur-tambourines and seem incredibly cool (ETA:  the instrument is actually called a daf)), and I was trying to mimic the guy -- only, on the new little Remo tambourine, of course. Well, I must have sorta been pulling it off anyway, because my dad was like, "wow, you're really picking that up!" and was all impressed.

So now my dad wants me to bring my guitar over so we can jam!

I think this is the performance we were looking at last night -- ETA:  musician's name is Mohsen Taherzadeh:

That's pretty cool! Somewhat like a Celtic bodhrán?

• Love 1

I was just thinking how fun it would be to throw a finale watching party. I promise to provide burgers and beer -- and NO side of betrayal (cough Mary cough).

PM me if you're interested and you're going to be in the D.C. area on May 18.

I really want to do it, so if you're on the fence, please just say yes :)

And that was a purposeful Taylor Swift reference uh huh

Everyone here is invited. In fact, ONLY you guys are invited (well, except for plus ones and SOs, of course), because I don't talk about this show to anyone but you all. ;)

• Love 2

I grew up in Louisville so I try to follow Ky. Derby stuff. The biggest gala is thrown by the Barnstable twins (or twats as we called them). Here's Steven Amell :

170505Derby-BarnstablePA061

Also a good shot of "The Dude" himself:

170505Derby-BarnstablePA086

• Love 2

The sun came out in time for the race, but the 50s is cold for Derby weather. It's usually into the 80s by May.

The only jockey who didn't get muddy was the winner, because he was ahead from the beginning I guess.

• Love 2
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Diane said:

Just FYI

Not exactly surprised after watching a couple episodes of Frequency, but I thought I saw Frequency had been renewed a while back? Apparently my memory sucks worse than I realized.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

Not exactly surprised after watching a couple episodes of Frequency, but I thought I saw Frequency had been renewed a while back? Apparently my memory sucks worse than I realized.

Did they renew Timeless?

23 minutes ago, Boopsahoy said:

Did they renew Timeless?

You know, I don't know. Last I heard it was still on the "bubble watch." Different network, though, and I'm not good at keeping up on these things.

I did make it thought the whole first season of Timeless. It's wasn't stellar, but decent diversionary fun. Whereas I only made it through a couple episodes of Frequency; the tone was too maudlin for me.

56 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

Thank you so much Commando Cody!! Mick is a "Blues" player and singer, and worships Robert Johnson. We have a huge portrait of him on our living room wall! I really appreciate you posting this! Thank you again!

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:31 PM, SueB said:

It was great! Pics tomorrow.

Okay Sue, where are the pics?!

• Love 2

That's too bad. It started out different and had an interesting sensibility. However, I only watched 1 ep this season. During the 1st season I saw similarities to SPN. Too bad it's a different network- a cross-over ep with Sam & Dean would have been so cool!

According to internet astrology, today was a mercury retrograde. Which supposedly means things start falling apart. I wonder if the Donald checked his horoscope this morning??

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Commando Cody said:

They finally canceled Sleepy Hollow. I don't know how the show hung on for four seasons, but it's not getting another one. 

Good.  I hope Tom Mison can find another great show, like SH used to be in s1. I'm not bitter about Abbie at all.....

• Love 3

That is one kick-ass beautiful Bride! The whole ceremony is gorgeous, but the Bride stole the show!

Best wishes to the happy couple! You must be so proud!

Am I a jerk for saying your husband is hot? Love the uniform!

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

That is one kick-ass beautiful Bride! The whole ceremony is gorgeous, but the Bride stole the show!

Best wishes to the happy couple! You must be so proud!

Am I a jerk for saying your husband is hot? Love the uniform!

He's pretty handsome....

• Love 2
(edited)

Actually, I just read the NBC reversed their decision and "Timeless" has been renewed for a 10 episode season to be shown (as of now) next late spring/summer. I've enjoyed the show and am glad for the renewal. We'll see if it picks up again.

ETA: Didn't see the announcement in the "Cast..." thread until this posted. Always a day late and a dollar short. LOL

Sue B, beautiful wedding pictures with a gorgeous bride! Congratulations on surviving it all. ;) I hope you enjoyed the special event.

Edited by FlickChick
Duh...
  • Love 2