Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

Off current topic... I was radio-silent for the last 36-ish hours as I mounted the "Bridal Shower Afternoon Tea Party" Campaign.

Lessons Learned:
- Despite what the internet tells you, rolled fondant does NOT make good poured fondant.  It make liquid bubble-gum.  It is gross and If I never see it again it will be too soon (I wasted HOURS trying to make that work...*sigh*)
- Still working like your on the Great Bake-off (or any other show) with flour on your face when the guests (except the Bride) arrive is NOT a good look.  They all had to cool their jets for 20 mins while I finished everything, changed clothes and THEN we let the Bride (my daughter) in.
- It takes 4 (not 2) loaves of bread to make 48 cucumber sandwiches and 48 egg salad w/ avocado sandwiches.  [Yes, I sent my friend out to get more bread 15 mins before the party started]
- If you forget to put water in the vases, the hydrangeas are DEAD the next day.  I think that may be why there's a "hydra" in the name of the flower.
- Copious quantities of tea, scones, clotted cream & jam, and CHAMPAGNE fix all previous issues.  

Picture pre-food placement on the trays

916EHO3.jpg

Edited by SueB
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, SueB said:

Off current topic... I was radio-silent for the last 36-ish hours as I mounted the "Bridal Shower Afternoon Tea Party" Campaign.

Lessons Learned:
- Despite what the internet tells you, rolled fondant does NOT make good poured fondant.  It make liquid bubble-gum.  It is gross and If I never see it again it will be too soon (I wasted HOURS trying to make that work...*sigh*)
- Still working like your on the Great Bake-off (or any other show) with flour on your face when the guests (except the Bride) arrive is NOT a good look.  They all had to cool their jets for 20 mins while I finished everything, changed clothes and THEN we let the Bride (my daughter) in.
- It takes 4 (not 2) loaves of bread to make 48 cucumber sandwiches and 48 egg salad w/ avocado sandwiches.  [Yes, I sent my friend out to get more bread 15 mins before the party started]
- If you forget to put water in the vases, the hydrangeas are DEAD the next day.  I think that may be why there's a "hydra" in the name of the flower.
- Copious quantities of tea, scones, clotted cream & jam, and CHAMPAGNE fix all previous issues.  

Picture pre-food placement on the trays

916EHO3.jpg

Wow beautiful, I would think copious amounts of wine after everyone has left would work too. I'm sure everyone had a wonderful time.  I can't imagine doing all of that on my own. 

Edited by Diane
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Diane said:

Wow beautiful, I would think copious amounts of wine after everyone has left would work too. I'm sure everyone had a wonderful time.  I can't imagine doing all of that on my own. 

Oh yeah, I'm breaking out the vino tonight. Definitely in for some Netflix & chill.  And the bridesmaids helped with the final setup and sandwich making. I, OTOH, DID attempt to be a pastry chef (when I am NOT).  Still, the food was generally cute and edible so I'm calling it a win.

My daughter and I are massive tea drinkers and enjoyed a nice cuppa after she came today and helped me clean up.  One of the best lines in Harry Potter is Ron Weasley's "I'll make tea."... if you get the ABSOLUTE TRUTH of that line, then you will appreciate why it had to be a tea party.  Tea fixes everything.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, SueB said:

Oh yeah, I'm breaking out the vino tonight. Definitely in for some Netflix & chill.  And the bridesmaids helped with the final setup and sandwich making. I, OTOH, DID attempt to be a pastry chef (when I am NOT).  Still, the food was generally cute and edible so I'm calling it a win.

My daughter and I are massive tea drinkers and enjoyed a nice cuppa after she came today and helped me clean up.  One of the best lines in Harry Potter is Ron Weasley's "I'll make tea."... if you get the ABSOLUTE TRUTH of that line, then you will appreciate why it had to be a tea party.  Tea fixes everything.

What a wonderful thing for you to do! I've always liked you Sue, and knew you were a nice person, but this has just blown me away!

Congrats to your daughter. I'm sure she's a lovely young woman, given her Mom! Thanks for sharing Sue!

• Love 2
On 3/11/2017 at 1:20 AM, Mick Lady said:

This is really off topic, but does anyone remember Grind House Movies (Not the horror movies!)? They were just off the wall movies, that almost no one knew.

One of our favorites was Streets Of Fire, and this cool song is from it:

I remember the song, but not the movie.  I can see from the clips how it is an 80's movie and it looks like a major mixture of several hit movies but might be more interesting in the short clips than the real movie.  Don't know it wasn't a film I saw.  Looks like the major reason it didn't get more was because it went way over budget and then didn't make the money back. 

I got back just in time.  Got out before they cancelled all the flights.  Luckily our connecting flight just was delayed a little over an hour.  But since I didn't get stuck in airport, well that was a good thing.

My friend, loves my cane.  Several times it got us in front of the line.  I can tell that New York still believes in smoking.  I forgot what it was like to walk down a street and have the strong cigarette orders.  It was one of the ways that you can tell a New Yorker from tourist.  Another way was that crossing the streets.  Tourist wait till the light changes and New Yorker just weaves through the traffic.  I did start crossing sometimes when I could tell it was safe, but it was funny hearing the cars honking when they couldn't go anywhere.  There was a sign that you get a $300.00 dollar sign for honking but I doubt that they can enforce that.  :)

I did see one Broadway play. "Cirque De Soleil Paramour, the storyline is old.  Director makes a star and there is a love triangle between the young and rising star, director and a song writer.  But what makes it really cool is all the acrobats / dance and the they add visual effects. 

The plan was to see another Broadway play, we were going to try Kinky Boots but my friend got food poisoning at Starbucks.  I'm not feeling that well either but it did slow us down.  I did central park covered in snow, did The Ride, Top of the Rock, The Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, The 911 museum and the observatory, one Tour on the Big Bus, rode the subway, Walked Time Square and Walked to Central Park and feel like I did all I could in the cold weather.  I know 32 isn't that bad for those that live in cold weather but for me it was too much.  I know it got down to 20 and sometimes I felt like my face would freeze, lol.

My only casualty, I lost my purple hat.  I'm standing in faith that a homeless person found it and it is keeping their head warm.  :)  Going to do nothing today.  I had a great time.  I would like to go back but during warm weather!

• Love 4
On 3/12/2017 at 3:35 PM, SueB said:

Lessons Learned:

I will never forget my mother crying as the wedding cake had issues from the hour drive.  I was the voice of reason, going okay, you don't have time to do this but what about if you do this.  We got the cake fixed and NO One noticed anything wrong.  So I can get you putting all this effort into it only for it not to go the way you had planned it.  So I'm glad you relaxed with some tea and now enjoy some wine.  The hard part will soon be done and don't forget to enjoy the moments.  All the bumps will become little stories to tell and magical moments for the memory books.    By the way, Weddings are hard work no matter how you do it!  :)

Take some me time even when you have way too much to do.

Oh one crazy thing for me, was while getting ready for the trip, I lost my ipad in the house.  I couldn't find it and had a little melt down.  Where was it, next to the old computer.  If I organize better, I wouldn't be doing things at the last minute.  It's why I've never been the one to Plan the big moments, Bridal Showers, Parents Wedding Anniversaries Parties, I'm the picker upper for those that take on the headache and I'm much better at the support department.  I know my own flaws.  :)

• Love 2
8 hours ago, 7kstar said:

My only casualty, I lost my purple hat.  I'm standing in faith that a homeless person found it and it is keeping their head warm.  :)  Going to do nothing today.  I had a great time.  I would like to go back but during warm weather

Not the purple hat!

Sounds like you had a blast, and I'm so happy for you! I was thinking about you in the snow. Tell us more when you're rested.

What happened to the cake? Were the 'issues" that bad? Sounds like a fun story, now that the drama is over!

Edited by Mick Lady
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

Is this the two week break for March Madness?

I am showing Vampire Diaries repeats on during Supernaturals time slot for tomorrow night.  I show the next new ep is 3-30-17.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Diane said:

I am showing Vampire Diaries repeats on during Supernaturals time slot for tomorrow night.  I show the next new ep is 3-30-17.

WTF? We don't get our own repeats in our own timeslot. WTF CW...WTF.

Just now, catrox14 said:

WTF? We don't get our own repeats in our own timeslot. WTF CW...WTF.

I am pretty sure it's because they ended the series.  They are repeating the entire finale night.  I don't think it's any reason to worry or freak out, in fact it's probably expected.  Just my opinion though.

Just now, Diane said:

I am pretty sure it's because they ended the series.  They are repeating the entire finale night.  I don't think it's any reason to worry or freak out, in fact it's probably expected.  Just my opinion though.

LOL. I was being hyperbolic with my righteous indignation at not having Supernatural even in a repeat in it's own timeslot. I'm not worried or freaked out.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

Is this the two week break for March Madness?

Yes.  The last game that conflicts with our timeslot is on 23 Mar.  The games go on but are not on the days SPN airs.  

• Love 2

Guys, I've spent my day in a "Black Hole" Not the bad kind, but we bought a new washer and dryer, and of course, they were delivered between "8 and 4"! Raining out, and Mick busy, so while I waited I hit "Super-wiki"! Did you know they even have a floor plan of "The Bunker?"

They showed at 3pm. I didn't even notice how late it was!

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

Guys, I've spent my day in a "Black Hole" Not the bad kind, but we bought a new washer and dryer, and of course, they were delivered between "8 and 4"! Raining out, and Mick busy, so while I waited I hit "Super-wiki"! Did you know they even have a floor plan of "The Bunker?"

They showed at 3pm. I didn't even notice how late it was!

Oh, you're so screwed! You officially now have a permanent room at the asylum...weeeee! ;)

ETA: BTW, I did know they had a floor plan of the bunker--Yes, I too have a permanent room at the asylum--there's a really cool featurette on the S9 DVDs about the bunker. I, personally, would love to see the bunker get blown to smithereens, but it is one beautiful set piece. And the the details Wanek and his merry band of artist wizards put into it is pretty cool! 

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, SueB said:

Yes, at the asylum as well.  Although it's important to NEVER go into the TV Tropes and Idioms room.  There be dragons. 

Oh good grief yes. For about 6 months after I was booted out of TWoP, I migrated over to TV Tropes... and proceeded to provide Supernatural examples for the new incoming tropes. Barring that, I would find Entomological examples of things. I believe that I was Night Nymph over there. I try to not go there anymore, because that's usually at least a 2 or 3 hour black hole every time I go over there.

I have to admit my favorite trope is Mike Nelson, Destroyer of Worlds. Warning: Do not click this link unless you can limit yourself to that one section and are really good at not getting sucked into black holes.... seriously, I won't be responsible if anyone ends up spending a few hours stuck at that site. P.S. the Mike Nelson example is under "Live Action T.V"

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, rue721 said:

You were booted out of TWoP?!

Yup. I was booted for being  "too argumentative" one day. I didn't think my post was that bad - but it was kind of a toxic environment over there sometimes. So for about 6 months, I went over to TV Tropes instead. Then I went back - that's when I became AwesomO instead - and just made sure that I played nice that time. Sometimes it wasn't easy, but I didn't want to get booted again.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I was, too.

5 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Oh good grief yes. For about 6 months after I was booted out of TWoP

Both of you, do tell!!

• Love 3

TWoP was a weird place at times and the Supernatural forum could get very heated. I never had a problem over there, but they had a lot of rules and restrictions to try and alleviate the tensions, but it usually just led to heightening them, IMO. 

What's that saying about good intentions paving the way to hell? ;)

• Love 2

I loved TWOP back in the day, but I didn't really venture into the SPN forum. That place was crazy. Seemed like everybody was yelling at each other all the time, and the mods would delete huge swaths of posts with no warning.

I used to spend way too much time on the Gossip Girl board, though. And then the Vampire Diaries board. SO. MUCH. TIME. That was when I was trying to write specs for a TV writing portfolio, so I considered my bumming around on there "research" and "working." Yeah uh-huh. I don't even have that excuse anymore ;)

1 hour ago, AwesomO4000 said:

just made sure that I played nice that time

Isn't it great not having "boards on boards" over here? Gahhhhhhh "boards on boards" hamstrung conversations so bad.

• Love 2

I posted primarily in the Arrow, TWD, Fringe, BSG, LOST and Grimm forums.

I was on warnings because I didn't like Laurel on Arrow and thought she was the literal worst. But the thing that go me booted was for negative comments about Juliet in the Grimm forum, which put me over the 5 warning limit. I was actually really pissed that I didn't even get booted over my nemesis, Laurel Lance. LOLOL  I asked them to roll back one because it was from when I first joined and was the 15/15 rule, but they wouldn't and away I went.

I'm sure glad I found this place!

• Love 1

I used to say horrible things about characters, shows and plot lines all the time. I never got any warnings. I thought that's why it was called Television Without Pity. I never like the moderators though. They deleted things they didn't understand - and didn't deserve deleting. 

I did find a quote of mine on another website though. They didn't like what I had to say about Billie on Charmed, so they took it to a different forum to rant about it. 

Edited by Commando Cody

Guys, I just saw this joke and felt I really should share...

What's the difference between a hippo and a Zippo?
          One is really heavy...and the other...is a little lighter.

Thank you, I'll be here all night! ;)

• Love 7
20 hours ago, rue721 said:

Isn't it great not having "boards on boards" over here? Gahhhhhhh "boards on boards" hamstrung conversations so bad.

I so agree, especially since sometimes I wasn't even sure exactly what-all "boards on boards" encompassed, and that really made trying not to do it annoying.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

Guys, I just saw this joke and felt I really should share...

What's the difference between a hippo and a Zippo?
          One is really heavy...and the other...is a little lighter.

Thank you, I'll be here all night! ;)

My family just LOL'd at that, thanks Ditty!

• Love 1

According to "Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels", Castiel is an Angel of Thursday in the occult lore. This may be a reference to the fact that Supernatural aired on a Thursday night on the CW network at the time of this episode's original broadcast. According to the newspaper that Dean looks at in the gas station, he pushed his way out of the grave on a Thursday.

I haven't read any posts here. I'm in a Super-wiki hole.....

• Love 3
17 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I so agree, especially since sometimes I wasn't even sure exactly what-all "boards on boards" encompassed, and that really made trying not to do it annoying.

It was like EVERYTHING was boards on boards. I think basically, you were supposed to say your piece and not actually converse back and forth with anybody else. So frustrating.

Guys, I celebrated St Patrick's Day with coworkers and now I think it was a bad idea. It's kind of weird to know so much about the people you work with. A couple people couldn't handle all the partying too well. One woman especially made kind of a mess of herself -- sloppy drunk, ill-advised and inappropriately public hookup, etc etc etc. I woke up this morning to a few too many texts, including a big apology from one girl for oversharing. Ironically, that "oversharing" girl was one of the few who didn't get too crazy, though. In fact, I thought it was sweet that she felt comfortable enough to speak frankly. In any case, I guess all I can say is thank god that I can hold my liquor, and only had to send out reassurance texts this morning instead of apologies. But the night still is leaving kind of a weird taste in my mouth. It's mostly that one sloppy woman. If she were someone I knew socially, I would drop her like a bad habit, but since we're coworkers, I just have to watch while she careens through life, and it's so disturbing and uncomfortable.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rue721 said:

It was like EVERYTHING was boards on boards. I think basically, you were supposed to say your piece and not actually converse back and forth with anybody else. So frustrating.

Guys, I celebrated St Patrick's Day with coworkers and now I think it was a bad idea. It's kind of weird to know so much about the people you work with. A couple people couldn't handle all the partying too well. One woman especially made kind of a mess of herself -- sloppy drunk, ill-advised and inappropriately public hookup, etc etc etc. I woke up this morning to a few too many texts, including a big apology from one girl for oversharing. Ironically, that "oversharing" girl was one of the few who didn't get too crazy, though. In fact, I thought it was sweet that she felt comfortable enough to speak frankly. In any case, I guess all I can say is thank god that I can hold my liquor, and only had to send out reassurance texts this morning instead of apologies. But the night still is leaving kind of a weird taste in my mouth. It's mostly that one sloppy woman. If she were someone I knew socially, I would drop her like a bad habit, but since we're coworkers, I just have to watch while she careens through life, and it's so disturbing and uncomfortable.

I look at those things like What Happened at the St Paddy's Day outing , Stays at the St Paddy's Day outing"

The owners of the company I used to work for were massive partiers. This was like countless years ago. They would rent out a boat for the Christmas party. We'd sail around the bay and get drunk. Come back to the lounge of the hotel where the boat was moored and they proceeded to buy everyone drinks.  People were idiots and no one ever lost their jobs over it. Crazy times LOL

• Love 1

@Mick Lady I have an @Omegamom sighting!  She was on Twitter briefly today to let me know she's alive and well.  She's currently preoccupied with her teenager and the new POTUS drama. She's also trying to write. 

She's still watching the show.  Hopefully she'll pop back in -- perhaps I can coax her after the finale.  

I know what it's like to get wrapped into the Trump Trauma.  There's days I want to throw my computer into the wall.  And days I just can't look at the computer because I'm worried about what new horror is out there.  So, she may be social media breaking.  I don't know for sure but I know many have chosen that route.  Maybe it'll get better. 

(Says the optimist)

• Love 3

I check Twitter a couple times a day, it's my main news source so I don't have to watch CNN and throw things at the TV. Depending on my mood, I'll watch Rachel Maddow, because she takes a long time with one story and always has more info than other TV news.

I went thru the needing to know everything and talk about it during W's 8 yrs. I can't maintain that level of involvement and anger anymore because, as they say in N.J., it gives me agita.

• Love 3

You know, a few years ago, I kept up on everything, but now that I actually work in the news business, I actively try to not know shit. It all just makes me so angry, disappointed and sad. I can honestly say I'm a much happier person now than I was a few years back.

Granted, I won't be in the know when the zombie apocalypse happens, but I live in the Northland. Zombies probably can't survive in the winters we have up here. And, hey, at least I'll be blissfully ignorant if they do chomp on me. ;)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SueB said:

@Mick Lady I have an @Omegamom sighting!  She was on Twitter briefly today to let me know she's alive and well.  She's currently preoccupied with her teenager and the new POTUS drama. She's also trying to write. 

She's still watching the show.  Hopefully she'll pop back in -- perhaps I can coax her after the finale.  

I know what it's like to get wrapped into the Trump Trauma.  There's days I want to throw my computer into the wall.  And days I just can't look at the computer because I'm worried about what new horror is out there.  So, she may be social media breaking.  I don't know for sure but I know many have chosen that route.  Maybe it'll get better. 

(Says the optimist)

Oh thank you SueB! I miss her. She was so kind to me (as you all were) during my cancer fight. Please tell her I asked about her!

Don't even mention the orange one (no caps, he doesn't deserve it) to me. I have blood pressure issues!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, auntvi said:

I check Twitter a couple times a day, it's my main news source so I don't have to watch CNN and throw things at the TV. Depending on my mood, I'll watch Rachel Maddow, because she takes a long time with one story and always has more info than other TV news.

I went thru the needing to know everything and talk about it during W's 8 yrs. I can't maintain that level of involvement and anger anymore because, as they say in N.J., it gives me agita.

Are you in Jersey auntvi? I moved from Jersey to Idaho when we retired.  Lived in Middletown and Westfield. I miss the pizza and Subs, but there's a new place opening called "Jersey Mikes" near us, so I have hopes!!

I lived there for about 20 yrs in north Jersey, Montclair. I don't live there now - I'm in Chicago. I still miss the Italian food that you can find EVERYWHERE. The first time I ordered a meatball sandwich here I was very disappointed!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, auntvi said:

I lived there for about 20 yrs in north Jersey, Montclair. I don't live there now - I'm in Chicago. I still miss the Italian food that you can find EVERYWHERE. The first time I ordered a meatball sandwich here I was very disappointed!

At least you can get a deep-dish pizza right? Death liked them in Chicago, so they must be good!

You can't get descent Italian food in Idaho, I've given up. : (

• Love 1

NOOOOOOOO .

Xfiles, Angel, Buffy and Firefly are being dropped by Netflix on April 1st.

Man, I literally have Angel and XFiles in my queue as shows I pop in from time to time.  Damn. That sucks

Leaving 4/1

Ally McBeal: Seasons 1 - 5

Angel: Seasons 1 – 5

Better Off Ted: Season 1

Barbershop 2: Back in Business

Bones: Seasons 1 - 4

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Seasons 1 - 7

Chaplin

Dollhouse: Season 1

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Firefly

House, M.D.: Seasons 1 - 8

Lie to Me: Season 1

Menace II Society

Resident Evil: Extinction

Rosewell: Seasons 1 - 3

Snow Day

Stomp the Yard

Superman II

Superman III

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

Superman Returns

Superman: The Movie

The Agony and the Ecstasy

The Boys from Brazil

The Escapist

The Princess Bride

The Riches: Seasons 1 - 2

The Usual Suspects

The X-Files: Seasons 1 - 9

Vanilla Sky

Leaving 4/3

Collateral Damage

The Circle

Leaving 4/7

Legit: Season 2

Wilfred: Season 4

Leaving 4/9

Hero

Leaving 4/10/17

Legit: Season 1

Flower Girl

Leaving 4/14

The Lazarus Effect

Leaving 4/15

A Fantastic Fear of Everything

Leaving 4/17

American Dad! Season 6

Leaving 4/26

The Nutty Professor 2: Facing the Fear

Leaving 4/30

Under the Tuscan Sun

The Mirror

Born to Defense

The Defender

Edited by catrox14
7 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

NOOOOOOOO .

I have found that if I have them in my cue, they don't always go away when they're removed from the normal menu.  This has happened a few times with different shows and movies.  I'd give it a try, just make sure they are in your viewing cue.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, MysteryGuest said:

I have found that if I have them in my cue, they don't always go away when they're removed from the normal menu.  This has happened a few times with different shows and movies.  I'd give it a try, just make sure they are in your viewing cue.  

Ohhh thanks for that tip!

58 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

NOOOOOOOO .

Man, I literally have Angel and XFiles in my queue as shows I pop in from time to time.  Damn. That sucks

This is why I still like to buy DVDs/Blu Rays in spite of the fact all my friends tend to be like "dude you actually buy them? But they're on Netflix". I still like knowing I own my favourite shows and don't have to worry about them disappearing one day lol. 

• Love 3