Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Wayward Son said:

This is why I still like to buy DVDs/Blu Rays in spite of the fact all my friends tend to be like "dude you actually buy them? But they're on Netflix". I still like knowing I own my favourite shows and don't have to worry about them disappearing one day lol. 

This would require I upgrade my DVD player LOL

• Love 1
3 hours ago, catrox14 said:

NOOOOOOOO .

Xfiles, Angel, Buffy and Firefly are being dropped by Netflix on April 1st.

Man, I literally have Angel and XFiles in my queue as shows I pop in from time to time.  Damn. That sucks

I don't know if you have Hulu, but both Firefly and The X-files are available there. Probably why they're being removed from Netflix? Netflix and Hulu seem to be trying to do the "excursively on..." thing lately. Plus, Netflix is really caught up with all their original content lately. I don't know.

Anyway, I've never watched Buffy or Angel, so I don't know about those, but I'm guessing it would be the same.

2 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

This is why I still like to buy DVDs/Blu Rays in spite of the fact all my friends tend to be like "dude you actually buy them? But they're on Netflix". I still like knowing I own my favourite shows and don't have to worry about them disappearing one day lol. 

Yeah, when I first started watching Psych, I was wavering on buying the DVDs. I knew it was a show I'd enjoy watching quite a bit. Someone convinced me I "needed" them. Just about the time I collected all seasons, Netflix removed the show from streaming. That's when I realized I would always "need" the discs for shows I liked to watch over and over again.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

I don't know if you have Hulu, but both Firefly and The X-files are available there.

Yeah I don't have Hulu because I won't pay for a service AND still have to watch ads. I find that so annoying.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Anyway, I've never watched Buffy or Angel

OK sorry back now, just had to run and get a paper bag to hyperventilate into for a minute.

How come you haven't watched Buffy or Angel?

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Yeah I don't have Hulu because I won't pay for a service AND still have to watch ads. I find that so annoying.

There's a couple different options on plans with Hulu and not all of them you have to watch ads. I've been a member on Hulu (for free) since almost their beginning, so I was really disappointed when they went to pay-only accounts last year. I finally signed up for a particular show and figured I'd cancel it after the show was done. I ended up keeping it because the price is pretty damn low and I started noticing a lot of older shows not currently available on Netflix were cropping up. Plus, I don't have any "live" TV in my house, so I like having Hulu to watch a few current shows without having to go allover the internet to find them.

24 minutes ago, rue721 said:

I shouldn't say I've NEVER watched Buffy. I saw an episode or two when it first premiered. Didn't care for it. For one, the high school setting didn't really do much for me. Two, the entire tone of the show was that they were too cool for school, which I found annoying. Three, I have an aversion to most things vampire-y.

So, in short, it's just not my thing. And, since Angel was a spin off, I didn't see much need to watch it either.

I love Firefly though--even own the discs.

Edited by DittyDotDot
9 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

So, in short, it's just not my thing. And, since Angel was a spin off, I didn't see much need to watch it either.

I highly recommend Angel.It's a show with a different mindset. It's not all the teen angst but more like adult angst. IMO it's a lot darker with a darker sense of humor than Buffy.

*gasps on reading DDD's no-Buffy*

JUST KIDDING.  I actually didn't watch Buffy until mid/late 2000's myself. Funny enough, JUST today I read an article (that Superwiki retweeted) about a much disliked character.  And 'ya know... I CRIED.  Yes, I can be sappy.  But the important part for this discussion is that the author suggests that there are multiple levels that you can watch Buffy.  Surface campy or the more social commentary POV.  It worked for me on both levels but I suspect those that still love Buffy are more attracted to the later.  On the surface level... I'm just thinking about that one with the Robot in S1... yeah, nope. Dated. But then I look at some of the others and see real value.  Also, I can be flat out CONFLICTED about Josh Whedon.  So... I'm just going to let that lie there.  I get those who love him and those who have real issues.  So, conflicted.   

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I highly recommend Angel.It's a show with a different mindset. It's not all the teen angst but more like adult angst. IMO it's a lot darker with a darker sense of humor than Buffy.

Sorry, if you want to convince me to watch anything, you must remove the word angst. No way I'm signing up to watch angst knowingly. And for darn sure I'm not gonna watch a vampire angsty show.

13 minutes ago, SueB said:

Also, I can be flat out CONFLICTED about Josh Whedon.  So... I'm just going to let that lie there.  I get those who love him and those who have real issues.  So, conflicted.

I look at it like this: even Monet painted a few things I probably wouldn't want to put on my wall. 

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2
Just now, DittyDotDot said:

Sorry, if you want to convince me to watch anything, you must remove the word angst. No way I'm signing up to watch angst knowingly. And for darn sure I'm not gonna watch an vampire angsty show.

How is there anything left on TV for you to watch? I mean even our fav show is an angst fest LOL

4 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

How is there anything left on TV for you to watch? I mean even our fav show is an angst fest LOL

Yeah, but I'm too far gone now that I have to see it through to the end. But, when I started watching Supernatural, it was fairly angst-free, IMO.

TBH, there's very little I find worth watching these days. That's why I don't have any live TV in the house. Just didn't see the point in paying for it when I spend most of my viewing time watching old shows on DVD. However, there are a few shows out there where the angst is kept to a minimum.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, SueB said:

I try to remain "SPNwank-free".   It's hard, but I put effort into it because it ultimately tears down the show for me in a completely useless way.  

I'm not only speaking of SPN here. Fandom wank doesn't bother me much, like shipping wars or whatever, I enjoy what I enjoy. Outside of a plot or character arcs going in a direction I no longer enjoy, it's mostly things I read or hear from cast or crew or EPs, etc, that sour me on show faster than any fandom shenanigans. 

Edited by catrox14
1 hour ago, Wayward Son said:

The behaviour of some people in the supernatural fandom really puts me off watching the show sometimes -sigh-

To be fair, the behavior of some people on the planet puts me off the human race sometimes. 

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, rue721 said:

OK sorry back now, just had to run and get a paper bag to hyperventilate into for a minute.

I never watched Buffy until I for some reason caught "Hush." That hooked me! I've seen them all now. Well worth it!

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

I never watched Buffy until I for some reason caught "Hush." That hooked me! I've seen them all now. Well worth it!

Holy shit. Hush is the creepiest thing and The Gentlemen are creepier than old school SPN reapers. /shudders

• Love 3
Just now, catrox14 said:

Holy shit. Hush is the creepiest thing and The Gentlemen are creepier than old school SPN reapers. /shudders

Totally agree! The only thing that possibly matches them is the Gnarl demon used in Same Time Same Place. Joss Whedon has an amazing talent for creating strong concept episodes, such as Hush (silent), The Body (to highlight the rawness of grief by not using background music) and Once More With Feeling (Musical), that would flop under a lesser writer. 

I must confess I've often wished Joss Whedon had taken over Supernatural after Kripke left. I'd have loved to see what he would have done with the show. 

Just now, Wayward Son said:

I must confess I've often wished Joss Whedon had taken over Supernatural after Kripke left. I'd have loved to see what he would have done with the show.

Eh. I'm not that much of a Whedon fan girl myself. Never got into Firefly. Was kind of okay with Dollhouse for like one season. IMO Angel>>>>Buffy and since Ben Edlund wrote some of my favorite Angel episodes including Smile Time, if I had my druthers, I'd druther Edlund was showrunner than Whedon, but that's just me.

22 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

He couldn't have done any worse in killing off popular characters. No wait... maybe he could. 

40 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Eh. I'm not that much of a Whedon fan girl myself. Never got into Firefly. Was kind of okay with Dollhouse for like one season. IMO Angel>>>>Buffy and since Ben Edlund wrote some of my favorite Angel episodes including Smile Time, if I had my druthers, I'd druther Edlund was showrunner than Whedon, but that's just me.

I pretty much agree with you ... though Carver taught me that good - even great - episode writers don't necessarily make good show runners. Quite a few of Carver's season 3 and season 5 episodes are in my top 20 - 25 of the series - and "Mystery Spot" is easily in my top 3, if not my favorite episode of all - but that did not translate for me at all when he became showrunner, and I consider his return episode "We Need to Talk About Kevin" to be one of the worst of the series.

So while I enjoy many Ben Edlund episodes, I would've had to wait to see what would've happened if he had become show-runner. Based on Carver's previous episodes, if you had told me that Carver taking over the show would result in Sam not looking for Dean, blowing off Kevin, and shacking up with a bitchy woman while Dean became friends with a vampire and Castiel decided he'd rather stay in purgatory (because that wouldn't make Dean feel crappy at all *sarcasm*) and it would usher in the era of the petty little jerks (TM triple D), I wouldn't have believed you. I wouldn't have guessed that was where the show was going to go in a hundred guesses.

So I have decided that good episode writing and good show running aren't necessarily the same skill set.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Carver taught me that good - even great - episode writers don't necessarily make good show runners.

Stephen Moffat was great at writing episodes of Doctor Who. Some of my favorites.  As a show runner, he tanked. He stayed too long and made some horrible decisions. This is his last season, but he won't be gone soon enough. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SueB said:

"SPNwank-free"

What do you mean by wank? I thought wank was theories and stuff?

21 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

However, there are a few shows out there where the angst is kept to a minimum.

Wait wait, I know you watch Bates Motel. THAT is a minimal angst show? I feel like Dylan and Emma do nothing but angst.

Although maybe that has since changed, but I wouldn't know because I still can't make myself watch post-Norma. I loved that lady. What a great character.

OK and now I'm imagining if Norma were popped into SPN as Mary Winchester. Can you imagine? She would be fucking hilarious.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, rue721 said:

Wait wait, I know you watch Bates Motel. THAT is a minimal angst show? I feel like Dylan and Emma do nothing but angst.

Bates Motel makes up for it's angst with the messed up wack-a-doodle I love! They're allowed to angst as long as they don't take their angst too seriously. ;)

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

Speaking of angst, I noticed that Supernatural actually got a preview for next week in this week.  I haven't seen that in a while. 

/thud...

Apocalypse 3.0 is nigh

• Love 1

Ugh I had stress dreams all night last night about my FORMER job. I haven't even worked there in something like 9 months.

I feel like something about being waitstaff brings on the stress dreams. I've never heard of anybody having them as frequently or as bad as bartenders and waiters do. And even after going through a very stressful week at my current job (in an office, doing accounting), I am still having waitstaff stress dreams. It's bizarre.

The weirdest waiting tables stress dream I ever had was one time when I was trying to waitress in this fantastical restaurant that was a maze of connected rooms, and all the customers were (literal) trolls. The weirdest part about it was that I wasn't even worried about them being trolls or anything, what was so stressful was that I was trying to keep everyone's drinks refilled and there were just so many empty glasses. I'd go into yet another tiny room crammed with trolls and ALL their water glasses would be at least half empty. There was no way I could get my water pitcher to everyone in time.

Maybe part of the reason for all the waiting tables/bartending stress dreams is that people lower on the totem pole get them more in general. The only person at my current job who I know gets them is the lone administrative assistant (who is actually quitting this week, natch). But is it that people who get them are more likely to be lower on the totem pole, or is it being lower on the totem pole that brings them on? Or maybe higher ups just don't want to talk about it as freely.

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:29 PM, AwesomO4000 said:

I pretty much agree with you ... though Carver taught me that good - even great - episode writers don't necessarily make good show runners. Quite a few of Carver's season 3 and season 5 episodes are in my top 20 - 25 of the series - and "Mystery Spot" is easily in my top 3, if not my favorite episode of all - but that did not translate for me at all when he became showrunner, and I consider his return episode "We Need to Talk About Kevin" to be one of the worst of the series.

So while I enjoy many Ben Edlund episodes, I would've had to wait to see what would've happened if he had become show-runner. Based on Carver's previous episodes, if you had told me that Carver taking over the show would result in Sam not looking for Dean, blowing off Kevin, and shacking up with a bitchy woman while Dean became friends with a vampire and Castiel decided he'd rather stay in purgatory (because that wouldn't make Dean feel crappy at all *sarcasm*) and it would usher in the era of the petty little jerks (TM triple D), I wouldn't have believed you. I wouldn't have guessed that was where the show was going to go in a hundred guesses.

So I have decided that good episode writing and good show running aren't necessarily the same skill set.

Oh my God, this whole post, so much! Your second paragraph has been the source of endless discussion between Mick and me. Sam not looking for Dean is the one thing that just...just infuriates me! Talk about destroying a major theme! And than Kevin. I can't even go there. I loved Mystery Spot, but I still can't forgive Carver for what he's done. Now I'm pissed off all over again...

• Love 2

I finished rewatching Firefly.  I remembered, practically, none of it. It was almost like watching it for the first time. I thought it ended differently. Now it's bothering me that I can't remember which series it was that ended like I thought Firefly ended. 

Was there a movie?

Edited by Commando Cody
7 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

I finished rewatching Firefly.  I remembered, practically, none of it. It was almost like watching it for the first time. I thought it ended differently. Now it's bothering me that I can't remember which series it was that ended like I thought Firefly ended. 

Was there a movie?

Yes, there's a movie called Serenity that was made a couple years after the show was cancelled.

The show was very short lived, the last three episodes didn't even air, as I recall. It's a shame, but the ratings were low, the show was very expensive to make and FOX never seemed to be all that fond of the show, but wanted a Joss Whedon show. It was a recipe for disaster from the onset. That being said, I still love the few episodes we got and TBH, I'm not sure there was a long lifespan in the show to begin with. I think my favorite episode might be Jaynestown. The folk song alone was too funny.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

Yes, there's a movie called Serenity that was made a couple years after the show was cancelled.

The show was very short lived, the last three episodes didn't even air, as I recall. It's a shame, but the ratings were low, the show was very expensive to make and FOX never seemed to be all that fond of the show, but wanted a Joss Whedon show. It was a recipe for disaster from the onset. That being said, I still love the few episodes we got and TBH, I'm not sure there was a long lifespan in the show to begin with. I think my favorite episode might be Jaynestown. The folk song alone was too funny.

Mick and I know all the words to Jayne and sing along with the guy in the bar! Firefly rocks! If you get the DVD's they include the unaired episodes.

Bonus for us is that Crowley (Mark Sheppard) is on the show!

Edited by Mick Lady
I have no excuse...
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

Was there a movie?

Serenity was the only entry into the Firefly verse I really liked.

25 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

Have any of you been to Comic-Con? Is it a big mess or is it worth it?

Yes.  It's both a big mess and a life experience.  

I'm supposed to be out-the-door 15 mins ago so I'll have to come back and explain better.  

The short answer is:
- be prepared before you go or you will be LOST (not the show, the actual experience of being bewildered and not sure exactly what the hell is going on)
- decide what is absolutely essential to experience because you cannot possibly experience everything on your to-do list
- there will be crowds & crowds, & masses of humanity in AWESOME costumes -- if crowds freak you out, don't go.  If you are a "dive right in" person, you'll be fine
- there are once-in-a-lifetime sights, cool swag, and interesting activities
- be multi-fandom. If you are going for Supernatural, you get just a teaspoonful.  If you want a Supernatural experience, go to a Creation Entertainment event -- that's like mainlining SPN (and three orders of magnitude more expensive).  

I've never been to Comic-Con - so hoprfully someone else can give direct information on that - but I am a regular at Dragon*Con. Dragon*Con is a big mess, but entirely worth it... except weirdly enough for me recently, the Supernatural panels. They used to be great when they were in the X-Track, but they moved Supernatural over to the Urban Fantasy track, and the panel over there is more annoying for me than not. However the multi-show NC-17 fanfiction discussion (which includes Supernatural) is still a ton of fun... and definitely not for the shrinking violet. But at Dragon*Con the panels run the gambit from straight science, to writing advice, to gaming, to cosplay, to sci-fi, comic books, fantasy, and everything in between. And then there are the free concerts and the battlebot battles.

Dragon Con is also very costume friendly - you don't have to feel at all uncomfortable about dressing in costume. I bring two - my easy and my more "difficult"  - to wear at different times. And the costumes run the gambit. I don't know if Comic-Con is more specific in terms of costume and focus.

And Dragon*Con is also best experienced as a multi-fandom experience. There are a few traks where you can just immerse in that verse only - Star Wars, Star Trek, and Lord of the Rings, for example - but most Traks aren't like that.

I could say more, but best not to get me started and you probably aren't considering Dragon*Con anyway. (Dragon*Con itself is pretty cheap - like $115 for all 4 days - the lodging not so much).

It is. The problem with Dragon*Con is finding affordable hotels... or hotels at all. I'm actually surprised that there are still some downtown hotels left at this "late" a date. I suggest a hotel on the DragonCon shuttle route. The room doesn't need to be fancy, since you likely won't be doing much but sleeping there. I'm generally at the Con from around 10-11 in the morning to about 1:30 - 2 AM or so when the shuttles stop running, though sometimes I go back for a quick stop to change costume.

If you can find others to go with you to split the hotel cost, that's generally the most economical way to go. Food is fairly cheap if you go to the right places - the underground market is the cheapest place to go. They have very reasonable specials - like buffet plates of a meat, two sides and a biscuit or corn muffin for 6.99 - 7.99. (Good food too.) Some places have a buy a drink, bring back the cup, and get free refills all day deal, too. I usually bring a few breakfast bars for breakfast (if needed), have a humus and falafel wrap for lunch, and then one of those specials for dinner... and maybe a DQ sundae or a special cookie or brownie for nighttime snack/dessert. But food-wise, you can get by fairly easily on about $20-25 a day. And if that's too steep, somewhere they have hospitality rooms where there is free food. I've not ever looked for that though, since I like to splurge on the good food in the underground market.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I've never been to Comic-Con - so hoprfully someone else can give direct information on that - but I am a regular at Dragon*Con. Dragon*Con is a big mess, but entirely worth it... except weirdly enough for me recently, the Supernatural panels. They used to be great when they were in the X-Track, but they moved Supernatural over to the Urban Fantasy track, and the panel over there is more annoying for me than not. However the multi-show NC-17 fanfiction discussion (which includes Supernatural) is still a ton of fun... and definitely not for the shrinking violet. But at Dragon*Con the panels run the gambit from straight science, to writing advice, to gaming, to cosplay, to sci-fi, comic books, fantasy, and everything in between. And then there are the free concerts and the battlebot battles.

Dragon Con is also very costume friendly - you don't have to feel at all uncomfortable about dressing in costume. I bring two - my easy and my more "difficult"  - to wear at different times. And the costumes run the gambit. I don't know if Comic-Con is more specific in terms of costume and focus.

And Dragon*Con is also best experienced as a multi-fandom experience. There are a few traks where you can just immerse in that verse only - Star Wars, Star Trek, and Lord of the Rings, for example - but most Traks aren't like that.

I could say more, but best not to get me started and you probably aren't considering Dragon*Con anyway. (Dragon*Con itself is pretty cheap - like $115 for all 4 days - the lodging not so much).

Why am I not surprised by this entire post? I had to Google "Dragon Con", but it sounds pretty cool! I'm looking into it now, so be aware Awesomo, Mick may be contacting you! I've wanted to hit Comic-Con for along time, and now being retired, have the time. Being in Idaho, we're close to some of the larger ones, and have the time to travel. Never thought I'd do this, but we're both kind of into it!

• Love 1

That would be great, @Mick Lady. Just be aware that hotel rooms can go quickly, so if you have any designs on going this year, you might have to decide soon. I'd say you could share with us, but our room is already full (there will be at least 3 if not 4 of us). Unfortunately some of the hotels take a deposit - non refundable in some cases - so just be aware of that. The information is all on the website.

I thought I'd posted it before - but maybe it was just on the South Park board? - but for fun, here's me as AwesomO...

awesomO.jpg

My friend says that I have the AwesomO voice down pretty well, but I need to work on my movie ideas. I generally forget what I thought of when it comes up - and people always ask - so I need to do better on that front. I'm better with the "Are you by chance a pleasure model?" because my "Lame!"s are pretty good by now.

I found my black can opener again - my Mom snitched it and then told me she didn't have it, but I found it while she's in Florida - so I can be more authentic again next time. I used to have bigger batteries also, but they don't stay in place as well.

My other costume is Jayne Cobb (I'm a lady Jayne) with Jayne hat. Though I cheat and wear a "Wash" shirt. I would post that photo too, but my photobucket account is being a pain right now and giving me error messages...  maybe I'll try again later.

Edited by AwesomO4000
Damn typos
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Demented Daisy said:

I found a place for you to vacation this summer!

Cool! I'll have to keep that in mind if we ever get to London.* This year though, Hubby and I will likely be doing our usual tropical snorkeling trip.  That's our "together hobby" since we both love to do it. My other hobbies are knitting and insect/spider/fungus photography and his is turkey hunting - I swear it's like Holiday season for him. He doesn't knit and doesn't see the appeal, and I don't turkey hunt nor see the appeal. Hee.

* And if Keane gets back together and only does a concert tour over there, Hubby and I would go. We love Keane - best concert I've ever been to, and that's saying something after Bon Jovi.

Edited by AwesomO4000
'Cause I should spell one of my favorite band's names correctly... shouldn't post so early in the morning.
  • Love 1