Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: Nānahu (Embers)

• Start Topic

I was a little surprised that Danny was so cuddly and forgiving with Amber considering she straight up murdered her ex with his car.

I'm guessing with the stab wounds in the walls, blood and broken furniture everywhere and a dead body on the driveway, Danny will not be getting his vacation rental deposit back.

I know Steve is the Super-SEAL but I was expecting a little more tussling before he took down Randy Couture!

I was a little surprised that Danny was so cuddly and forgiving with Amber considering she straight up murdered her ex with his car.

I'm guessing with the stab wounds in the walls, blood and broken furniture everywhere and a dead body on the driveway, Danny will not be getting his vacation rental deposit back.

I know Steve is the Super-SEAL but I was expecting a little more tussling before he took down Randy Couture!

I didn't think it was a vacation rental, like you or I might (theoretically) rent. I thought Danny said, to Amber/Melissa, it belonged to either her boss or a friend of the boss, & it was offered to Danny when he went to her boss to arrange her time off for the trip to start with. And, yeah, I would guess Danny would have to make up for the damages somehow.

Yeah well Danny straight up murdered the guy who allegedly killed his brother. Allegedly because he didn't even look in the barrel to see if his brother was actually in there. Danny did not have to kill him but did so out of anger.

She didn't have to many choices if she wanted to get Danny to the hospital in time and also not get grabbed and possibly killed herself. I'd say she had to hit him. She certainly couldn't fight him off if he got close enough to her. She was also on a narrow driveway with bushes and such on the side if I recall correctly. There was no swerving to avoid hitting him option. There was a 'lock the doors and wait for him to move while Danny bleeds out and the guy possibly breaks the car window and grabs me' option. They supposably didn't have their cell phones on them either to call for help.

She possibly didn't necessarily have to run over him. At least not as coldly as she did. Though if she had gotten out to move his body he could have grabbed her. She didn't hit him very hard he could have still been conscious.

So she was in fear of her life from a man who had beaten and almost killed her once and who had just stabbed her boyfriend. No jury would convict her for mutder, manslaughter possibly. Danny however, outright murdered that man out of anger and hate and he did it without even checking first to see if his brothers body was even in that barrell.

We didn't actually see Danny's face after he got into the car. He could have been unconscious by that time and not seen a thing.

My point being, who was Danny to point fingers at her and call her a murderer?

• Love 2

It's not the murder, it's the fact that she did it with Danny's car. Now he's got to pick eyeballs out of his radiator grille and clean guts off his exhaust. In all the years Steve has been recklessly driving Danny's car I don't think he's managed to run anyone over yet but Amber does it on her first try!

And of course she's not going to get in trouble for it. She does have that marginal self-defense argument but more importantly she has that shield that association with 5-0 provides: anything is okay as long as we say so.

• Love 3

We didn't actually see Danny's face after he got into the car. He could have been unconscious by that time and not seen a thing.

Yes, I'm assuming that was the case too but I think it was a poor directorial choice not to actually show that shot. We only saw Amber/Melissa's face. It would either have given an added layer to their relationship or simply given an explanation. Maybe TPTB imagine they will return to it at some point but I doubt it'll happen.

Much as I lovelovelove Hurt!Danno, I can't help feeling it was rather wasted with absolutely NONE of the team present or even very involved.  Another episode where Danno was separated - I just don't understand it. Also - shouldn't they have grabbed a towel, a tablecloth, a cushion...something, to stop the bleeding before running for the car?

The arson investigation was a good one and Melinda Kara...whatsit certainly gave it her all and I actually enjoyed the golfing scenes for the humour brought by both actors. It was really nice characterisation to have Lou crowing and Steve actually uncertain for once. The end worked nicely too - unlike in the previous example where we were not actually shown the shot. It could have been equally nice to have seen him actually miss it too, however unlikely that was ever gonna be.  

Yes, I'm assuming that was the case too but I think it was a poor directorial choice not to actually show that shot. We only saw Amber/Melissa's face. It would either have given an added layer to their relationship or simply given an explanation. Maybe TPTB imagine they will return to it at some point but I doubt it'll happen.

Much as I lovelovelove Hurt!Danno, I can't help feeling it was rather wasted with absolutely NONE of the team present or even very involved. Another episode where Danno was separated - I just don't understand it. Also - shouldn't they have grabbed a towel, a tablecloth, a cushion...something, to stop the bleeding before running for the car?

The arson investigation was a good one and Melinda Kara...whatsit certainly gave it her all and I actually enjoyed the golfing scenes for the humour brought by both actors. It was really nice characterisation to have Lou crowing and Steve actually uncertain for once. The end worked nicely too - unlike in the previous example where we were not actually shown the shot. It could have been equally nice to have seen him actually miss it too, however unlikely that was ever gonna be.

Scott has said he prefers the "character" stories to the "procedural" stories. So that may be 1 reason why he was shot separately from the team; they've done it in other eps, as far back as S1, where Danny had a "character" driven story vs. the usual "procedural" story in an ep.

Plus, I guess Scott's been on something of a different shooting schedule for awhile now, compared to, say, Alex & some others on the cast, which is why Danny isn't in some eps at all now.

I've heard different versions of what his schedule is. He either has a shorter week, each week, than everyone else (& does all his scenes in a shorter timeframe), or he's only on set in Honolulu, like, every couple of weeks (& who knows if that means he's only shooting scenes for 1 ep while he's there, or he's shooting scenes for multiple eps).

I'm pretty sure he's been given more time in LA during this shooting season (for the current S5) now that he's the Father of a 7 month-old daughter, who was born the day after S5 filming started this past July, & who (at least mostly) apparently lives in LA with her Mother, Scott's partner Kacy, who used to work in the H50 Wardrobe Department at the studio/on the set in Honolulu.

And yeah, they probably should've grabbed something to keep pressure on the wound. But obviously the writers didn't think of it, so I guess we're just supposed to believe they were (or Amber/Melissa was) only thinking of getting Danny to medical help/the hospital fast; not about keeping him from bleeding all over the car (which should've been a rental, Not Danny's car,'cause the plot description--or something else I read about the ep--claimed they went on a trip to Maui, & didn't stay on Oahu).

The actress who played the ATF Agent was Melina Kanakaredes. She's American, of Greek origin. I'm pretty sure she was in a (long-cancelled, & taped in New York City) CBS soap years ago. She was also in the NBC series Providence a few years ago, & previously/most recently worked with H50 showrunner Peter Lenkov when she starred in the 1st 5 (I think) of the 9 seasons of his previous show, CSI: NY, on CBS.

As for the last golf shot, they were probably joking, but 1 of the writers said on Twitter during the ep (a group of the writers do, like, a live "chat" with the fans on Twitter during at least the Eastern/Central Time airing of new eps--& sometimes during the Mountain/Pacific Time airing, as well) that it took something like 349 takes to get the putt (the last golf shot) to go into the hole.

Scott has said he prefers the "character" stories to the "procedural" stories. So that may be 1 reason why he was shot separately from the team; they've done it in other eps, as far back as S1, where Danny had a "character" driven story vs. the usual "procedural" story in an ep.

Plus, I guess Scott's been on something of a different shooting schedule for awhile now, compared to, say, Alex & some others on the cast, which is why Danny isn't in some eps at all now.

The actress who played the ATF Agent was Melina Kanakaredes. She's American, of Greek origin. I'm pretty sure she was in a (long-cancelled, & taped in New York City) CBS soap years ago. She was also in the NBC series Providence a few years ago, & previously/most recently worked with H50 showrunner Peter Lenkov when she starred in the 1st 5 (I think) of the 9 seasons of his previous show, CSI: NY, on CBS.

It was only on the TV Guide blurb that I saw the ATF agent promo, I was half expecting Detective CSI Bonasera for the grand linked CBS universe

Much as I lovelovelove Hurt!Danno, I can't help feeling it was rather wasted with absolutely NONE of the team present or even very involved.  Another episode where Danno was separated - I just don't understand it. Also - shouldn't they have grabbed a towel, a tablecloth, a cushion...something, to stop the bleeding before running for the car?

The way they showed her doing the stop  thinking a moment and the secondary running over of her ex husband I am half expecting a prosecutor to come back at her causing yet another break up for Danny.

Not my favorite episode.   It was far too disjointed.  I enjoy episodes where the whole team works together.  Melina Kanakaredes has been a favorite of mine since her days on "Guiding Light," but I want to see the Five-0 team in action, not a visitor.

I was also concerned by the focus on the arsonist.  Usually the villains on this show are sufficiently cartoonish that I don't worry about copycats.  This guy was a bit too realistic and far too scary.

Finally, while I am usually more than happy to set reality aside when watching this show, the entire set-up for Danny's story was off.  Danny would never ever go off the grid to the extent that he could not be reached.  He's a papa bear, and he would never turn his phone off.  Grace could be ill, hurt, or kidnapped (again)!

• Love 2

I have mixed feeling about this episode.  

Love the humor between Grover and Steve on the golf course. It's nice chemistry and a pleasant dyanmic between them. Neither one takes crap from the other but there's no malice to it.

The UnSub (loved the use of the term!) was scary and a little too real, as stated above. Criminal Minds had a similar one a few years ago. A truly sick individual. 

Go Kamekona for realizing immediately that something was off and calling for help. The big guy might come off to strangers as harmless but never forget he's got more going on than they realize

Melina is always going to Stella Bonasera to me and I hated seeing how she was portrayed last night. Started off strong but the screaming damsel in the distress in the end killed it for me, along with the obligatory low cut blouse.

I guest we have definitive proof the NCIS/5-0verse and the CSIverse are not linked, as for 3 weeks now former CSI:NY main cast members have shown up here in different roles. 

• Love 1

I loved absolutely everything about this episode. I loved the banter, the pacing, the two stories (Danny and the arsonist). This was a really satisfYing episode, and I really like that both Danny and Steve touched on their respective traumas. Danny was having nightmares, and Steve's advice to Cathy that she shouldn't look back. "Trust me, don't look back." We all know what he is talking about. I would have liked a moment at the hospital with them, but I understand why it went to Danny and Amber.

I really liked this episode.

• Love 1

Much as I lovelovelove Hurt!Danno, I can't help feeling it was rather wasted with absolutely NONE of the team present or even very involved. Another episode where Danno was separated - I just don't understand it. Also - shouldn't they have grabbed a towel, a tablecloth, a cushion...something, to stop the bleeding before running for the car?

The arson investigation was a good one and Melinda Kara...whatsit certainly gave it her all and I actually enjoyed the golfing scenes for the humour brought by both actors. It was really nice characterisation to have Lou crowing and Steve actually uncertain for once. The end worked nicely too - unlike in the previous example where we were not actually shown the shot. It could have been equally nice to have seen him actually miss it too, however unlikely that was ever gonna be.

I wanted to add, in my original post to you, & forgot, that I'm surprised you brought up Danny being off by himself... Again... in this ep. Someone, on another ep discussion thread I read, was wondering why they filmed CHIN separately from the rest of the team in this ep (or so they claimed). Maybe that's what actually surprised me, as opposed to your bringing up their doing another "separate Danny" storyline this week, someone thinking Chin's/DDK's parts had been filmed separately for this week's ep.

Yes. I realise all of this and I do sympathise with it too. It's clearly all very tricky logistically and it seems TPTB are trying to accommodate Scott and keep him on side. And not just him - you're right when you mentioned DDK's separation this week too and the times when others have also been elsewhere (apart from AOL who seems happy to just work & work & work).  Obviously, there are plenty of reasons why the cast can't always be together no matter what we might prefer. When I say 'I don't understand it,' I simply mean I find it hard to understand that anyone (actors, writers or show-runners) can think it works very well...or should I say, well enough... for a show based on the premise of a crime busting team, or for the fans who were drawn to it mainly for the 'ohana'/bromance/friendships. 

I should probably admit here (unsurprising I'm sure to anyone still reading!) that I'm saying all this as a huge Scott Caan fan, for whom any episode without Danny isn't worth watching and any episode where he/Steve/the team are all separated is just...well, less than I'm always hoping for. 

Sorry, that was all just a rather long musing. :)

• Love 1

I liked the arsonist storyline and liked the agent.  I though she had chemistry with AOL.

I wonder if DDK was prepping for his directorial effort.

Now that Danny' girlfriend 's ex-husband is dead, can they break up?  They have no chemistry and I don't buy them as a couple.  She can go back to Banshee now.

Golf scenes were fast-forwarded, anything to do with golf is Zzzzz material for me.

• Love 1

And yeah, they probably should've grabbed something to keep pressure on the wound. But obviously the writers didn't think of it, so I guess we're just supposed to believe they were (or Amber/Melissa was) only thinking of getting Danny to medical help/the hospital fast; not about keeping him from bleeding all over the car (which should've been a rental, Not Danny's car,'cause the plot description--or something else I read about the ep--claimed they went on a trip to Maui, & didn't stay on Oahu).

Danny told Amber when he set the weekend up with her that they were going to Waimanalo, which is just outside Honolulu to the northeast.  And indeed it was Danny's car she was driving as we saw the license plate "DV2 399" whien she drove away from the camera, which has been on both of Danny's Camaros.

Every front door I've ever seen opens inward, so nailing a plank across the front wouldn't prevent it from opening. Just saying.

The door to the second house at least, most definitely opens outward because the exterminator had to step backward when the wife opened it.  Perhaps they are designed differently in Hawaii for some reason of being in the tropics or something.  But you could put a plank on both of those houses and prevent the door from opening, if you put the nails or screws into both the door frame and the door itself.  What I don't get is how he put the screws or nails in the door without them hearing.  They had to have been inside.

Finally, while I am usually more than happy to set reality aside when watching this show, the entire set-up for Danny's story was off.  Danny would never ever go off the grid to the extent that he could not be reached.  He's a papa bear, and he would never turn his phone off.  Grace could be ill, hurt, or kidnapped (again)!

They really didn't say where Grace was, but I thought maybe she was staying longer in Jersey visiting her grandparents.  (I'm assuming she went with Danny when he went to testify.)

I liked the arsonist storyline and liked the agent. I though she had chemistry with AOL.

I wonder if DDK was prepping for his directorial effort.

Now that Danny' girlfriend 's ex-husband is dead, can they break up? They have no chemistry and I don't buy them as a couple. She can go back to Banshee now.

Golf scenes were fast-forwarded, anything to do with golf is Zzzzz material for me.

Now that I think about it, & you mention it, that makes PERFECT sense, about DDK's perceived absence this ep! I thought maybe he had to go to Atlanta & do more shooting on that movie he's in (the Insurgent[?] sequel).

I know, from following him on Twitter, many viewers' favorite Director, Larry Teng (the milestone Ep 100/507 among many others including, I think, the upcoming Ep 518 & many fan favorite eps in S1-4), usually would fly into Honolulu *at least* a week (usually more) before 1 of his eps was due to be produced, so he could go location scouting & do whatever other episode "prep" was necessary (he sadly won't be Directing anymore eps... Not for awhile anyway... He got a new gig as a Producer/Director on the upcoming season of Graceland, which airs on USA Network on cable/satellite; that just went into production or is about to, I think--he mentioned the show again recently on his Twitter).

The ep DDK directed *is* airing next week (it's the "McDanno sharing an apartment on a long stakeout & being bothered by nosy neighbors at the same time" ep), & I now remember Larry Teng commenting about DDK joining the Directorial ranks, & posting some minor Behind the Scenes photos of it, on at least his Twitter & Instagram, while he was on the set/in town prepping the next ep (518), which he was scheduled to Direct.

• Love 1

Not a bad episode but it did prove to me that Michelle Wie can't act. LOL!! I guess with a series being on so long that e actors want breaks. Granted, they get paid a lot of money and should suck it up but I guess it gets to be a grind. That said, all the breaks really ruin the continuity of this show. It was meant to be a series with a core 4 of Steve, Danno, Chin & Kono. Now, it seems like all of the cast has a separate storyline to accommodate their time away. Accept for Alex and his rehab stint he is probably the only one on consistently. I miss the old days & without all the stunt casting.

• Love 1

A repeat of the season five premiere aired on Saturday, which had Steve and Dany front and center, and it was like that for the first eight episodes of season five. Then the next eight had all different pairings (and absences). I'm going to assume the rest of the season will have Steve and Danny sgain. I think the separation of characters has been done before in previous seasons, but never back to back for so many episodes before, which made it far more noticeable. Let's hope they don't repeat that mistake again in the future. It needs to be done sporadically. I agree that the heart of the show is the core four, and most especially the relationship between Steve and Danny.

I still enjoyed the episode because everyone was present, the banter was funny, and Steve was genuinely concerned about Danny. I just wish the team had been their to help him, but I think they are saving that for the big Danny centric episode coming up. I'm looking forward to next week which is all McDanno, and we haven't had that in a while.

Edited by Bishop

I loved how Amber just ran over the guy. Enough was enough, and she needed to save Danny. I like how he saved her and then she saved him. I don't mind Danny and Amber together. It's not a huge age difference, maybe ten years, probably less, and that's not a big deal. Does he have fantastic chemistry with her? No, but I like that he's happy. Steve and Danny have not been lucky in love.

This episode also answered an important question for me, which was why have their been no conversations from Steve with anyone about Catherine or Wo-Fat, and Steve made it clear that he didn't want to look back anymore. He was emphatic to Cathy that she not do that based on his own experiences. So for good or bad, Steve wants to bury the past and move forward. That helped me to understand the episodes that happened after the 100th, in the lack of discussion about either, although I would have like some mention of Steve's trauma. Oh well.

• Love 2
Granted, they get paid a lot of money and should suck it up but I guess it gets to be a grind.

I think it's ridiculous that actors have to be tied into playing 100+ hours of the same character for years and years anyway. I would think I would be a better actor if I get to play a lot of characters. Showrunners and actors I'm sure are grateful for the steady work, but if I'm a showrunner, it's in my best interests that all my actors are fresh and motivated. If that means giving them some time off, then that's fine. 

Just run the guy over why not?! Oh, this show. But really, she can't get out of the car. The guy was out of his mind and had to be put down. Danny clearly was trying to break his face before. If he wasn't stabbed, he probably would have. 

You stabbed me?! NOW I'm pissed!

I also like how Steve was like, 'eh' when the agent admitted she wasn't legally on the case. 

That was a good revenge movie though. I thought it was fairly original. Usually, it's not the wife. I wish the actor would have objecting to having her character burst into tears because I thought it was a bit of a disservice and that she needed to be rescued but it was pretty good. 

Plothole analysis of a TV show: I find it VERY hard to believe that Hawaii building code would have exterior doors open out for the exact reason that one can then be barricaded into their house. I immediately said, don't exterior doors open IN for that reason?! but we then saw in the next scene, that door opening out. Also, I find it hard to believe that homes would have one point of egress the way was implied. Of course, a good arsonist, the way that guy was portrayed to be, would figure out ways around those things also, but let's not make it easier for him.

Is it really allowed for prison guards to carry matches around with them for the exact reason of prisoners possibly pickpocketing them? I already thought Arsonist Guy was creepier than I like on my H50 and now it seems like we'll be seeing him back.

Sideplot was a little dark for H50 also, Amber just running over Psychotic Ex? I can't imagine a jury on the planet nailing her for anything outside of self-defense so I'm sure H50 will hand wave that.

Clearly Non-ATF Agent never watched The Mentalist or she would have known better than to go on the news analyzing a serial killer.

• Love 3

I'm usually pretty good at "willing suspension of disbelief" so that little plot holes don't take me out of the moment but the whole door opening out thing was too egregious for me.  I just couldn't let it go.  I know they tried to address it by showing that one door opening outward but in that scene you could also see the the hinges were on the outside.  No one has hinges on the outside - it makes it too easy to break in.  My husband also brought up the point about security bars having emergency releases.  Once I was fixated on that, then a bunch of other things popped up that bugged me - who gets a hotel room number assigned to them when making a reservation? 

Also, I was about to call foul when it seemed like Steve was going to kick the ATF investigator off when he found out it was personal.  Every person on Steve's team has investigated personal cases - no one on that team has a problem with conflict of interest.

I thought they were in a hotel room for a minute with the no other exit points, until they were showing the aftermath.

I also wonder how much of a pain it is to clean lighter fluid out of thick curly hair when one has not put it up in a ponytail while attempting to detain serial killers.

• Love 1

I think it's ridiculous that actors have to be tied into playing 100+ hours of the same character for years and years anyway. I would think I would be a better actor if I get to play a lot of characters. Showrunners and actors I'm sure are grateful for the steady work, but if I'm a showrunner, it's in my best interests that all my actors are fresh and motivated. If that means giving them some time off, then that's fine.

Actors hope and pray for any role that will pay the bills and keep them in the biz - since this is an extremely uncertain business - and when they land something good, they are very well compensated. So I don't have a lot of sympathy if they don't like to be away from home that much, and then they have to be accommodated by shooting separately which IMO really affects the quality of the show at this point. Lots and lots of people have the same issues with their jobs and for the most part they have to suck it up since they probably wouldn't get an equally good job in this economy. My friend travels three hours to work each day, but she has bills to pay. And she's is getting markedly less money for her efforts than any of the actors on this show.

• Love 2

I agree. The quality hasn't diminished. I still think the show is great, especially in comparison to some other procedural shows on the air. I love the amount of time H50 devotes to its main characters personal stories AND a good crime story. I just think these last few weeks there were too many episodes back-to-back without Steve and Danny Working and interacting together. Nothing fatal to the show, but I missed their dynamic. I'm thrilled this Friday will focus on them.

• Love 1

KatWay, I don't know if the quality has diminished, but I do agree with your comment. I actually find I enjoy the Danny-free or -lite episodes more. I feel that Scott Caan's feelings regarding shooting the show so far from his home are seeping into his work - he seems kind of disinterested and listless to me.

• Love 1

I wondered how Steve got into the hotel room without anyone seeing or noticing. Do serial killers usually leave the sliding door unlocked and drapes open when plying their trade?

Hey, even serial killers want to enjoy the fresh island breeze and the smell of plumeria while committing their final acts of revenge...

I mean after the first five or six times you smack at the door, wouldn't you try do do something else to get out?

These people flunked fire safety.  You do not run through the burning house to find a door.  You keep the door closed and climb out the window.  If there's a building code which does not require an egress window for all bedrooms, you don't want to live there.

These people flunked fire safety.  You do not run through the burning house to find a door.  You keep the door closed and climb out the window.  If there's a building code which does not require an egress window for all bedrooms, you don't want to live there.

It was lucky the guy was able to use his job as an exterminator to find the most fire un-safe house in all of hawaii. Seriously, only one door that opens outward, no back door, smoke alarms that only go off when there is a full blaze going (the ones in my house go off if something is smoking in the oven), and bars on all the windows even the bedrooms. When we bought our house there was bars on some of the windows (not bedrooms) including the basement and I remember the home inspector telling me that if I wanted to put a bedroom in the basement those would have to be removed.

I am also confused, if the dude was in the house watching, why did he need the camera? And how was he able to board the door shut?

Also it is good they mentioned that he was uneducated and kind of dumb, because otherwise a hotel room is like the worst place for an arson to attack. I mean all the rooms are fire separated, they usually have lots of fire stairwells, and all the rooms have sprinklers. So you light a fire in a room, the sprinkler goes off alerting people to the fire (fire alarm), pouring water on it and telling fire fighters what floor it is on. The fire separations between the rooms means you have a pretty significant amount of time before the fire spreads to outside the room.

On the plus side I was impressed that the ATF lady was willing to do a scene where she was wearing a white tank top that ended up getting soaked in gasoline.

I am also confused, if the dude was in the house watching, why did he need the camera? And how was he able to board the door shut?

The first arson death he watched via a camera, and then the second arson death HE chose to be the camera and just stand there and watch it himself.  As for how he was able to board the door shut, he was already inside.  Maybe the victims were heavy sleepers.  Regardless, he had a fire suit on, and so being stuck inside with them wasn't going to effect him much, plus the ATF agent said that he had put fire retardant gel all around the perimeter where he was standing (so it was another layer of protection for him).  Once his victims were dead, pretty quickly from smoke inhalation, he just walked out.  That's my guess anyway.

Edited by Bishop

That opening scene is why I will never sleep in a room where I can't climb out of the window.

(when my parents were building a house, I insisted they put a larger openable window in my bedroom just for that reason)

As for outward opening doors, I've seen them a few times on TV in Scandinavian dramas.

I liked the ATF agent and was half hoping that Steve would offer her a job at the end.

I just watched this episode. Is it just me or is it a bit of a plothole that Danny, a father and experienced police officer, told no-one where he was going?

More like a "he wanted to be alone with his new girlfriend without anyone bothering him/them" thing--which I could understand. Plus, it's a typical dramatic "trope"--the main character who wants not to be found for a certain time period ends up in unexpected grave danger during the same period. They used the same trope at least twice on Starsky & Hutch, involving Hutch, if not more.

Five-0 did know he was taking off though (& I'm sure at least Gracie did too, though she wasn't in the ep), as I remember; just not where to. They did everything they could to track him down once Kamekona told Steve there might be a problem he needed to be made aware of (Amber/Melissa's abusive ex stopped at Kamekona's shrimp truck to eat &, somehow, in talking to the guy Kamekona was alerted to the fact the guy seemed to be looking for Danny's new girlfriend & he seemed "unsavory"). But Danny & Amber/Melissa had their phones on Voicemail & weren't answering or checking their messages--& Five-0 pretty much can't do anything about it if someone doesn't wanna answer their phone.

Then, as the apparent danger escalated, they used their police resources to find out about the bad guy (that's how they found out Amber is really Melissa, that guy's her ex, he abused her, & she assumed a new name & left him) & to at least continue to try to find them (I don't remember that Danny ever specifically told them where he was taking Amber/Melissa, just that they were going away for a couple of days--he borrowed a secluded beach house from her boss, I think; it was either on the other side of Oahu or off-island).

I've never thought of Danny not telling anyone where he was taking his girlfriend as a plot hole. But that may just be me.